New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default How to insert lore regarding Sword coast?

Hey guys,

I'm soon DM-ing a campaign for a group of noobs (nice noobs hopefully) in Faerun. They will start in Green Fields and if they feel like it, they can roam wherever they want. (it'll be sort of sandbox)

Now I want to present a single artifact/item/story of setting lore each session. I want to make a list of these events.

My questions are:

- how should I do it

- what lore should I include

Obvious way are some interesting ruins. Perhaps bards singing tales of days old? What else?

thanks

map
    Last edited by Pinjata; 2016-03-23 at 04:55 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: How to insert lore regarding Sword coast?

An option, if you use a laptop, is make a powerpoint of it, and run it, facing them, whenever you have to take a break (get a drink, go to the bathroom, talk to another player, etc). They don't have to pay attention to it, certainly, but it's something game-related they can look at.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    An option, if you use a laptop, is make a powerpoint of it, and run it, facing them, whenever you have to take a break (get a drink, go to the bathroom, talk to another player, etc). They don't have to pay attention to it, certainly, but it's something game-related they can look at.
    Or perhaps print out a few pamphlets containing the information and just stack them in a pile in the middle of the table. Those interested can browse through them whenever they aren't doing anything else.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

As far as what lore to include, can you advise on the PCs backstories/classes/races? It'd be best to include things that the PCs (or players themselves) would find interesting. Happy to help advise on idea if you can provide the backstories/classes/races. This way you can have side quests or campaign ideas/themes based off the lore that the PCs are actively interested in.

Alternatively, if you have a campaign/story in mind, try to find Lore that helps flesh out specific aspects of the campaign. Example: If the campaign involves stopping the evil necromancer from summoning the dead from a long forgotten epic battle field in a near by Wizrad's tower, have Lore on the land, the battle, the kingdoms that fought, the heroes of the battle, necromancy/dark magic from the region, the builder of the wizard tower, etc.

Hope that helps!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Write up a primer on the history, customs, and other setting info their characters would plausibly know. And no matter how cruddy their history skill (or whatever knowledge skills), they should know a fair bit about the place they live in. History skill is for obscure-ish stuff, not common knowledge. Give the players this primer. Further lore only needs to come up if they look for it or if there's an adventure-related reason to include it (in which case a quest-giver could just explain it).

If someone has invested in history skills, you could call for a check when they approach a site or encounter something else related to a past event, location, group, or individual, and if they pass it, just tell them they recognize the whatever-it-is from something they studied and give them a quick description of it.
    Spoiler: Playground Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Safety Sword View Post
    JAL_1138: Founding Member of the Paranoid Adventurer's Guild.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    - If it's something mortals were not meant to know, I've already found six different ways to blow myself and/or someone else up with it.
    Gnomish proverb

I use blue text for silliness and/or sarcasm. Do not take anything I say in blue text seriously, except for this sentence and the one preceding it.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Thanks guys :) Especially JAL's suggestions will be usable.