Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 115

Thread: Megatokyo.

  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Pennington, New Jersey, the US

    Default Megatokyo.

    One of the most popular strips around, noted for its detailed pencil work. What do you guys think about it?

    Here's my opinion: Megatokyo has gone downhill. Badly. Actually, it kinda fell off a cliff. The thing with the biggest webcomic kill count is plot, and ever since Rodney Caston was blackmailed into leaving Megatokyo, it's become a crappy romantic "comedy" with way too much "plot". It's what killed PvP, and almost killed Ctrl-Alt-Del.

    In the era of Caston, Largo played the crazy dude, and Piro the straight man.

    Nowadays Piro is, in fact emo. It's like frickin' Megatokyo Chemical Romance. Even Largo is becoming more emotional. It's sad, really.

    What do you think?

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    chibibar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    McKinney, Texas

    Default Re: Megatokyo.

    totally agree.. Largo has really gone downhill... he WAS a hardcore gamer all the way....

    He had changed so much I barely recognize him :(
    Chibi rules.
    Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Athanatos's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location

    Default Re: Megatokyo.

    Quote Originally Posted by Casualgamer
    almost killed Ctrl-Alt-Del.
    Almost? You've got to be kidding, sir. Ctrl-Alt-Del is as dead as Dillinger.
    Check out my first creation, the Wrathling. Look at it, comment on it, help balance it, vote for it. Any help is appreciated.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Wukei's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Texas

    Default Re: Megatokyo.

    I agree, and say so constantly. "Largo" as much made that comic as "Piro" and now it's a shoujo manga. Don't get me wrong, I like shoujo. Heck, I write it. But it's not what it used to be.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned
     
    Brickwall's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Megatokyo.

    I got into MT after it already became the kind of comic it is today. I like it, because it's a break from all the other stuff I read. Sure, it's absurd. Sure, Largo's character has totally been ruined. But I like the rest.

    And anyone who tells me there aren't enough one-shot gags in PVP, I will send the archive date of EVERY SINGLE ONE-SHOT in a comprehensive list to them.

    Hey, that sounds like a fun summer project, actually.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Jibar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Everywhere

    Default Re: Megatokyo.

    I was introduced when it had become the manga, and personally, I like it.
    I read a lot of gaming webcomics, and there are a lot of them out there, so it's kinda nice to have something different.
    I will agree that it is very, very different from what it started off as, and I lked the beginning, but I think I prefer what it's become to what it was.

    But out of interest, I've never heard much about how Caston left, what actually happened?
    Nothing but a Nobody

    Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Renloth's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Redmond, Washington
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Megatokyo.

    Honestly, I don't understand this whole thing with the: "Blarg, they've ruined the comic, too much plot, not enough funny" sort of thing. I can't stand it when a comic is all about one shots and gags, since its utterly boring. Megatokyo has changed for the better in my opinion, becoming more plot-oriented, indepth, and thoughtful.
    My Plans never fail! The laws of physics simply get in the way of my success! - Red Mage 8-Bit Theater
    Avatar by - That Lanky Bugger
    "My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings, look upon my works ye mighty and despair..."

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Pennington, New Jersey, the US

    Default Re: Megatokyo.

    Quote Originally Posted by Renloth
    Honestly, I don't understand this whole thing with the: "Blarg, they've ruined the comic, too much plot, not enough funny" sort of thing. I can't stand it when a comic is all about one shots and gags, since its utterly boring. Megatokyo has changed for the better in my opinion, becoming more plot-oriented, indepth, and thoughtful.
    Yeah, that'd be great, if MT was release volume by volume, but in the case of the webcomic, all it serves to do is slow things down to a craaaawwwwwwllllll....

    In fact, I see it happening now in the Order of the Stick, to a degree, though admittedly, Burlew has done a great job of juggling both. But he's starting to slip, and I'm not laughing as much.

    One of the most popular webcomics around, Penny Arcade is still booming, and its been around since it was '98.

    Almost? You've got to be kidding, sir. Ctrl-Alt-Del is as dead as Dillinger.
    No, I'm not kidding. You didn't like the Earthlink gag? That was funny. And recent. Its still recovering from the whole "marriage" plot arc.

    To Jibar:

    Gallagher's version: While things were good at first, over time we found that we were not working well together creatively. There is no fault in this, it happens. I've never blamed Rodney for this creative 'falling out' nor do I blame myself. Not all creative relationships click, ours didn't in the long run.

    Cute. NOT.

    Caston's version: After this he approached me and said either I would sell him my ownership of MegaTokyo or he would simply stop doing it entirely, and we'd divide up the company's assets and end it all. This was right before the MT was to go into print form, and I really wanted to see it make it into print, rather then die on the vine.

    Ah, I love the smell of the cold hard truth in the morning...

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Alberta, Canada

    Default Re: Megatokyo.

    I read Megatokyo, and I even buy its books, but I don't believe that it is particularly good on the whole. The two outstanding qualities about Megatokyo are its art and reliability. As much as we make fun of Gallagher for his Dead Piro Days, he is one of the hardest working web comic creators on the Internet.

    I wish more people were like him. Like if Icymasamune from PoisonWind updated a full page every MWF? I think the world would buckle under the greatness of his webcomic.

    Back on the topic of Gallagher, it appears that he does want to start from scratch with a newer, better comic. Something like Warmth. However, I get the sense that he is unwilling to take the chance because abandoning the Megatokyo project means risking his own livelihood.

    As for the split with Caston, it certainly changed Megatokyo, but I can't say if it has gotten any better or worse because of it.


  10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2005

    Default Re: Megatokyo.

    What do I think? I think Megatokyo never interested me at any point. In fact, I find its general existence vaguely... irritating. I don't understand what anyone sees or ever saw in it.

    The guys behind Penny Arcade are good, solid, decent people, great leaders in the struggle with people like Jack Thompson, but I think their humor is popular in the same embarassing lowest-common-denominator way as professional wrestling is popular. I don't follow it. That said, my strong interest in Ctrl-Alt-Del has scarecely flickered (which, to those unfamiliar with the comics in question, is strange because CAD and PA are almost but not quite the same thing, and in all fairness, PA did it first).

    I don't think Scott Kurtz is much of a gamer, but I don't seem to have any trouble checking the strip fairly often anyway. With that one the unique facility Mr. Kurtz has for inadvertently pissing people off is almost as entertaining as the strip itself, so long as I stay well clear of the firing line. ;)

    The point of all of this, however, is that plot never killed a comic strip in my world, whereas I have seen one or two just get dull and stupid trying to be a little too goofy from strip to strip (pointless stupidity, thy name is Van Von Hunter).

    My first webcomic was Sluggy Freelance. I don't even remember why I stopped reading it.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Pennington, New Jersey, the US

    Default Re: Megatokyo.

    Quote Originally Posted by Truthseeker
    What do I think? I think Megatokyo never interested me at any point. In fact, I find its general existence vaguely... irritating. I don't understand what anyone sees or ever saw in it.

    The guys behind Penny Arcade are good, solid, decent people, great leaders in the struggle with people like Jack Thompson, but I think their humor is popular in the same embarassing lowest-common-denominator way as professional wrestling is popular. I don't follow it. That said, my strong interest in Ctrl-Alt-Del has scarecely flickered (which, to those unfamiliar with the comics in question, is strange because CAD and PA are almost but not quite the same thing, and in all fairness, PA did it first).

    I don't think Scott Kurtz is much of a gamer, but I don't seem to have any trouble checking the strip fairly often anyway. With that one the unique facility Mr. Kurtz has for inadvertently pissing people off is almost as entertaining as the strip itself, so long as I stay well clear of the firing line. ;)

    The point of all of this, however, is that plot never killed a comic strip in my world, whereas I have seen one or two just get dull and stupid trying to be a little too goofy from strip to strip (pointless stupidity, thy name is Van Von Hunter).

    My first webcomic was Sluggy Freelance. I don't even remember why I stopped reading it.

    What Im gettin here is, that you simply have never read a webcomic that HAD a plot, and thus simply don't know.

    Ever read Exploitation Now? No Need for Bushido? Questionable Content? Slain, in the line of battle against PLOT.

    On Ctrl Alt Del: You actually liked the marriage arc? I didn't think that was funny/coo/interesting/vaguely amusing at all!

    EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot RPG World.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2005

    Default Re: Megatokyo.

    Quote Originally Posted by Casualgamer


    What Im gettin here is, that you simply have never read a webcomic that HAD a plot, and thus simply don't know.

    Ever read Exploitation Now? No Need for Bushido? Questionable Content? Slain, in the line of battle against PLOT.

    On Ctrl Alt Del: You actually liked the marriage arc? I didn't think that was funny/coo/interesting/vaguely amusing at all!
    I read QC daily (well, nightly, actually, since that's when it updates). I'm not a fanatic about it and could do without it if I had to, but it amuses me. Though I zone out when they get to talking about music.

    CAD.... The marriage arc wasn't exactly my favorite, but it still beats any strip that even hints at the presence of Chef Brian, in my book. Rogue XBot was funny. And just to show that I'm not totally immune to the allure of the one-shot, the ones with Player One and Player Two are a little hit'n'miss, but mostly hit.

    Personally I think it's kind of odd that you can speak with me on the forums of OOTS, of all places, and claim that I've never read a comic involving a plot. Plot's a pretty integral part of what makes OOTS... OOTS, as far as I'm concerned. Anyone can go, "Ha ha, aren't D&D rules silly?" and I'm sure lots of others are doing just exactly that. But only OOTS keeps me coming back. Only OOTS got me interested in playing the game to begin with. :)

    Perhaps the fact that two people so differently oriented on this whole discussion are OOTS fans speaks well of Mr. Burlew's previously-mentioned juggling act.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Pennington, New Jersey, the US

    Default Re: Megatokyo.

    Quote Originally Posted by Truthseeker
    Personally I think it's kind of odd that you can speak with me on the forums of OOTS, of all places, and claim that I've never read a comic involving a plot. Plot's a pretty integral part of what makes OOTS... OOTS, as far as I'm concerned. Anyone can go, "Ha ha, aren't D&D rules silly?" and I'm sure lots of others are doing just exactly that. But only OOTS keeps me coming back. Only OOTS got me interested in playing the game to begin with. :)
    Ah, I revise my comment. You have never read a comic CENTERED around plot.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Alhambra IV's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Tempolis, Heaven
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Megatokyo.

    I should like to point out that plot does not necessarily make for a bad comic. Look at Alpha-Shade. Plot ahoy! (Offhand, anyone else 'sides me read A-S?)

    Anyhow, Lord Jibar, if you want the actual info on the breakup from the horses' mouths (as it were), this would be Gallagher's 'version' [Piro's rant on bottom], and here's Caston's 'version' Happy reading!
    Linky.
    "As inclined as he is towards aggression, my comfort is inversely proportional to his capabilities."
    óCopasetic

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location

    Default Re: Megatokyo.

    Quote Originally Posted by Casualgamer
    It's what killed PvP, and almost killed Ctrl-Alt-Del.
    If PvP is "dead", the only thing I can say is, "Zombie PvP FTW!" I will happily put up with the (very ocassional) several-day-long lull in the name of plot in return for awesomeness like the City of Heroes lawsuit arc or the witch's gaming store. Brief arcs like these beat the pants off of the first half-dozen years of PvP combined, and then take the removed pants and disintegrate them for good measure.

    Ctrl-Alt-Del, on the other hand, was a miscarried before it was born. There was nothing there to kill. "Hey, let's take the stereotypical gaming strip, make the characters even more one-dimensional, and try to pass it off as a deeper, more story-oriented strip!"

    I think Alpha-shade is a good reference, here. It's certainly a good enough comic but not necessarily all that hot as a webcomic, at least not in traditional terms. Of course, that's more a result of it being painstakingly produced large-scale art that can't be pumped out on a daily/semi-daily schedule than it is necessarily a result of its being plot-driven, but the latter doesn't help.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Midnight Son's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Megatokyo.

    I like MegaTokyo. I liked it before. I like it now. I like one shot jokes. I like plot driven storylines. I don't like SGD. If they're not gonna have a regular comic that day, they should just skip it.
    Avatar by Sneak - The Midnight Son by Ceika
    No more a lone wolf, The Midnight Son rides again.
    Give thanks ye mortals, for he rides on the wings of an angel.
    Spoiler
    Show

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Pennington, New Jersey, the US

    Default Re: Megatokyo.

    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian

    If PvP is "dead", the only thing I can say is, "Zombie PvP FTW!" I will happily put up with the (very ocassional) several-day-long lull in the name of plot in return for awesomeness like the City of Heroes lawsuit arc or the witch's gaming store. Brief arcs like these beat the pants off of the first half-dozen years of PvP combined, and then take the removed pants and disintegrate them for good measure.

    Ctrl-Alt-Del, on the other hand, was a miscarried before it was born. There was nothing there to kill. "Hey, let's take the stereotypical gaming strip, make the characters even more one-dimensional, and try to pass it off as a deeper, more story-oriented strip!"

    I think Alpha-shade is a good reference, here. It's certainly a good enough comic but not necessarily all that hot as a webcomic, at least not in traditional terms. Of course, that's more a result of it being painstakingly produced large-scale art that can't be pumped out on a daily/semi-daily schedule than it is necessarily a result of its being plot-driven, but the latter doesn't help.
    I disagree, PvP pretty much died to me. The whole thing with the baby was too much, and something snapped.

    CAD is funny. I don't care about character depth, so I don't see why you're bringing that up. Actually, I think that was the point of my post. I don't think CAD every tried to become more story-based, the wedding thing was pretty much scourged from memory with Buckley literally saying he didn't want plot in his webcomic.

    As for alpha shade, I actually think its only a mediocre webcomic. It's story based structure lends for extrememely slow story telling, and quite honestly, if you want to read something like that, go to Barnes and Noble and pick up some manga, most is better. The art is, however, excellent, and I read a couple of pages to marvel at wondrously constructed works of pen and pixel.


  18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned
     
    Brickwall's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Megatokyo.

    So, because a comic actually involves character development, you dislike it? Well, you must be starting to get dissapointed with OoTS then.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location

    Default Re: Megatokyo.

    The problem is that CAD tries to pretend its characters are real people, and it utterly fails. Contrast with Penny Arcade. There's no suggestion that Gabe and Tycho are anything more than cartoon characters; they're one step away from throwing anvils and bombs at each other to the tune of dramatic public-domain symphony music. Their lives are arbitrarily defined based on the comedic needs of each strip.

    This is not the case at CAD (notwithstanding the ocassional one-shot out of "continuity"). If there was any reason to connect with the characters, the fact that they have persistent lives within the strip might have some value, but it's hard to identify with them unless you yourself happen to be made out of cardboard. You end up with a modestly entertaining gaming-and-random-stuff strip shackled to an absolutely awful sitcom about gamers.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location

    Default Re: Megatokyo.

    I like plot. I'm generally not a fan of comics that contain no plot, but I can also like comics that contain mostly plot if they're well done enough. For instance, The Rules of Make Beleive (before it went on hiatus), File 49 and The Front, Inverloch, and some other stuff that don't update often enough that I exactly remember the name of, but I do have bookmarked.

    Plot is good, plot is your friend. It just has to be a good plot, or else it wont hold itself up well. And the delivery also has to be good, that goes beyond art quality.

    As for how this affects Megatokyo? Honestly I think Fred could have done it a bit better. He's distanced himself from his roots too much, it's too different contentwise now than it was before. Plot on one hand, gags on another, it doesn't necessarily matter. What matters is consistancy, call it a loyalty to the fans, and Megatokyo doesn't have that. Completely different now from what it was, he never should have got rid of Caston.

    I still do read Megatokyo, sort of, I just only check back like... every month or so. Maybe more or less.

    As for PA, CAD, PvP... I've never particularly cared for them. PA and CAD just aren't my style, and Kurtz is a pretentious arrogant jerk.
    I had a witty quote, but it was too long, so you get this instead.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location

    Default Re: Megatokyo.

    Meh. I find that people who can ONLY abide gaming comics will find themselves sorely disappointed. I used to read Little-Gamers and stopped. Maybe its cuz I really didnt care.

    PvP makes fun of office work as much as (and probably more than) gaming itself. Its not always Hi-Lar-Ious, but its entertaining and FREQUENT. Im pretty sure Kurtz beats every other webcomic out there simply because he updates every day of the week. People say Fred is hardworking, but Kurtz takes the cake here.

    Webcomics that are restricted to one-line gags tend to run out of steam in the end. Even PA has little story arcs now and then and sometimes you dont understand the joke unless you're absolutely up to date on gaming news and then you'll likely have to read a huge post and then you can go "Ohhh... ha ha."

    I guess my point is that plot never killed anything really. Plot makes things more engaging, attempts to make people care about the characters involved. If you hate things because they have plot and not an endless series of isolated gags, then OotS seems to be a poor choice of favourite webcomic. While it wouldnt be as funny without the constant poking at AD+D rules, it could stand on its own as a story... which I think is great.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Pennington, New Jersey, the US

    Default Re: Megatokyo.

    Quote Originally Posted by Brickwall
    So, because a comic actually involves character development, you dislike it? Well, you must be starting to get dissapointed with OoTS then.
    In fact, I am. (Ooooh, blashphemy). Actually, I already said that.

    This is not the case at CAD (notwithstanding the ocassional one-shot out of "continuity"). If there was any reason to connect with the characters, the fact that they have persistent lives within the strip might have some value, but it's hard to identify with them unless you yourself happen to be made out of cardboard. You end up with a modestly entertaining gaming-and-random-stuff strip shackled to an absolutely awful sitcom about gamers.
    Right. "Modestly entertaining". No reason to hate it if you find it entertaining. I never said it was the best webcomic in the world.

    I like plot. I'm generally not a fan of comics that contain no plot, but I can also like comics that contain mostly plot if they're well done enough. For instance, The Rules of Make Beleive (before it went on hiatus), File 49 and The Front, Inverloch, and some other stuff that don't update often enough that I exactly remember the name of, but I do have bookmarked.

    Plot is good, plot is your friend. It just has to be a good plot, or else it wont hold itself up well. And the delivery also has to be good, that goes beyond art quality.
    I do not hate plot in general. I hate plot (as a centerpiece) in WEBCOMICS. I play D&D, that's proof enough that I care about plot, but I am a voracious reader (I consumed the current Harry Potter line up of books AND a Song of Ice and Fire in the span of 20 hours) and if there is going to be plot, I'm not going to read it a page every other day (most of the time less). Furthermore, plot is not the reason I read webcomics. As I've stated before, if you want plot, find it in your bookstore. The reason I read webcomics, is to find gags on subject matter that is rarely found on the shelves of Borders. Secondly, internet censorship is nearly nonexistant, so webcomics are often undiluted in their humor.

    As for how this affects Megatokyo? Honestly I think Fred could have done it a bit better. He's distanced himself from his roots too much, it's too different contentwise now than it was before. Plot on one hand, gags on another, it doesn't necessarily matter. What matters is consistancy, call it a loyalty to the fans, and Megatokyo doesn't have that. Completely different now from what it was, he never should have got rid of Caston.
    I DO agree with that.

    PvP makes fun of office work as much as (and probably more than) gaming itself. Its not always Hi-Lar-Ious, but its entertaining and FREQUENT. Im pretty sure Kurtz beats every other webcomic out there simply because he updates every day of the week. People say Fred is hardworking, but Kurtz takes the cake here.
    How does this counter anything I said?

    Webcomics that are restricted to one-line gags tend to run out of steam in the end. Even PA has little story arcs now and then and sometimes you dont understand the joke unless you're absolutely up to date on gaming news and then you'll likely have to read a huge post and then you can go "Ohhh... ha ha."

    I guess my point is that plot never killed anything really. Plot makes things more engaging, attempts to make people care about the characters involved. If you hate things because they have plot and not an endless series of isolated gags, then OotS seems to be a poor choice of favourite webcomic. While it wouldnt be as funny without the constant poking at AD+D rules, it could stand on its own as a story... which I think is great.
    AGAIN, I DO... NOT... MIND... PLOT. It simply must take a backseat to humor. PA may have "story" arcs, but you never follow them to find out what happens next, only to get the joke better.

    You state that plot never killed anything, and yet you fail to produce evidence. I have provide ample amounts for my own argument. Furthermore, I never said that OoTS was my favorite webcomic. Actually, I don't think I have one.

    The point: Plot is engaging and interesting. Plot also must flow, or become stagnant. Only god could make a webcomic that could flow fast enough to avoid this.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location

    Default Re: Megatokyo.

    Quote Originally Posted by Casualgamer
    Right. "Modestly entertaining". No reason to hate it if you find it entertaining. I never said it was the best webcomic in the world.
    You missed the part about "shackled to an absolutely awful sitcom." On the balance, I do not find it entertaining; it sacrifices too much in the interest of maintaining the pretense that these are persistent characters with ongoing lives--and doing it poorly. If it axed all that (or at least got halfway decent character writing), it could be a decent comic.

    AGAIN, I DO... NOT... MIND... PLOT. It simply must take a backseat to humor. PA may have "story" arcs, but you never follow them to find out what happens next, only to get the joke better.
    Of course no one really follows PA to find out what happens in the "story" next, but that doesn't mean no one ever follows any webcomic just for the sake of finding out what happens next. Granted, most comics that try to fall back on just plot all the time do indeed end up being flaming train wrecks; I'm not going to argue that. It is the nature of things that pretty much any author who pursues plot is going to eventually overreach themselves--at best they end up with a body of work which is fine if read straight through but cannot much be enjoyed in semi-daily episodic installments, while at worst... well, flaming train wreck--but while it works plot is so infinitely valuable as to make the effort worthwhile in spite of the inevitable conclusion. When done right, plot delivered in daily chunks builds a sense of dramatic anticipation other media can only dream of matching. It can't be maintained for long, but so long as it lasts it beats the pants off of straight gag-a-day work. (Particularly when it's still delivering a gag a day alongside the plot.)

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location

    Default Re: Megatokyo.

    Two problems with Megatokyo:

    One: Fred is getting far more attention than he deserves for doing something that's been done dozens, if not hundreds of times over by prevous artists. Now it's just an American doing it.

    Two: Fred actually stated a few years back that there would be no happy endings for Piro and Largo. This is just part of a general trend I despise, because I feel that pretty soon we'll be able to truthfully label a happy ending as a "shocking twist that you'll never expect."

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    AmoDman's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Illinoisland, Americatown
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Megatokyo.

    It's entertaining how this thread is still vaguely on the topic of Megatokyo...but since I couldn't care less about Megatokyo, on with the spam!

    CAD - I think it's funny. Not as funny as PA, mind you, but funny. And, guess what? I actually liked the plot. Not as a plot in and of itself, but I thought it was interesting for the characters (who, yes, are very one dimensional...but that's the frigging point), and wa actually quite funny. That is, the plot itself added to the humour, rather than detracted from it. Don't like it? Don't read it. I think that cook **** sucks ass, and -most- of the player 1/2/etc. crap is...well, crap.

    PVP - It always sucked.
    Shalom

    Spoiler
    Show

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Sophistemon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Megatokyo.

    Wait, wait. Why do people hate Scott Kurtz?

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Athanatos's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location

    Default Re: Megatokyo.

    Quote Originally Posted by Casualgamer
    CAD is funny. I don't care about character depth, so I don't see why you're bringing that up. Actually, I think that was the point of my post. I don't think CAD every tried to become more story-based, the wedding thing was pretty much scourged from memory with Buckley literally saying he didn't want plot in his webcomic.
    No plot, huh? In ONLY 2006, we have Ethan's Quest for E3, Ethan's Quest for Oblivion, Marriage, Wintereenmas In Danger II. Four relatively long (except for Marriag, thanfully) story arcs, all of which relied on a single joke that wasn't funny the first time. At this point CAD has become a sitcom, where the bland and predictable story arcs are the programming and the tired one-shot gags are the commercials.

    Oh, look! Player 1 and Player 2 are killing each other and making the exact same comments they've made fifty times in the past! And there's Chef Brian, acting as rascally as usual! What's this? Lucas tries to be cutting and sarcastic but goes on for a few speech balloons too many and instead comes off as a boring, long-winded poseur? And what of Ethan? Is he still being perhaps the most annoying, infantile, and overall despicable (What oh what does Lilah see in him?) character I've ever encounted in any medium? Of course he is! And there's the lovable scamp Scott, who pretty much does nothing but hide behind a blast door and say "groovy" a lot, but STILL gets a bunch of strips written about him! And who could forget Barry, who's so ridiculously bland that even I can't come up with anything overtly negative about him! And last but not least, Lucas's boss and Rob, whose gimmicks got old in the second strip they were used and have gone through the worst aging process imaginable!

    And the video game strips... oh God... from the ones that give downright incorrect information without translating it into humor (rolling a 20 kills a dragon, influence in KotOR II is determined solely by doing good-evil things), to the ones where a thin and basic joke is stretched out for four panels (Battlefield: Modern Combat, Guitar Hero II), nothing good ever comes out of them.

    Of course, this is all personal opinion and my word is by no means law, but it just seems to me like Buckley decided to take Penny Arcade, remove everything that makes it funny, and add a cliche sitcom plot. He had it working for a while, up until about a year and a half ago. But now... I only visit it to see if he's managed to break his record for All-Time Worst Strip again. And he does it so often.
    Check out my first creation, the Wrathling. Look at it, comment on it, help balance it, vote for it. Any help is appreciated.

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Pennington, New Jersey, the US

    Default Re: Megatokyo.

    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian
    Granted, most comics that try to fall back on just plot all the time do indeed end up being flaming train wrecks; I'm not going to argue that.
    OK! Then we're in agreement! That's all I was trying to say.

    I can't say much to counter what you've said about CAD, except I disagree. I find it entertaining, and for me, that's enough.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    AmoDman's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Illinoisland, Americatown
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Megatokyo.

    Quote Originally Posted by Athanatos

    No plot, huh? In ONLY 2006, we have Ethan's Quest for E3, Ethan's Quest for Oblivion, Marriage, Wintereenmas In Danger II. Four relatively long (except for Marriag, thanfully) story arcs, all of which relied on a single joke that wasn't funny the first time. At this point CAD has become a sitcom, where the bland and predictable story arcs are the programming and the tired one-shot gags are the commercials.

    Oh, look! Player 1 and Player 2 are killing each other and making the exact same comments they've made fifty times in the past! And there's Chef Brian, acting as rascally as usual! What's this? Lucas tries to be cutting and sarcastic but goes on for a few speech balloons too many and instead comes off as a boring, long-winded poseur? And what of Ethan? Is he still being perhaps the most annoying, infantile, and overall despicable (What oh what does Lilah see in him?) character I've ever encounted in any medium? Of course he is! And there's the lovable scamp Scott, who pretty much does nothing but hide behind a blast door and say "groovy" a lot, but STILL gets a bunch of strips written about him! And who could forget Barry, who's so ridiculously bland that even I can't come up with anything overtly negative about him! And last but not least, Lucas's boss and Rob, whose gimmicks got old in the second strip they were used and have gone through the worst aging process imaginable!

    And the video game strips... oh God... from the ones that give downright incorrect information without translating it into humor (rolling a 20 kills a dragon, influence in KotOR II is determined solely by doing good-evil things), to the ones where a thin and basic joke is stretched out for four panels (Battlefield: Modern Combat, Guitar Hero II), nothing good ever comes out of them.

    Of course, this is all personal opinion and my word is by no means law, but it just seems to me like Buckley decided to take Penny Arcade, remove everything that makes it funny, and add a cliche sitcom plot. He had it working for a while, up until about a year and a half ago. But now... I only visit it to see if he's managed to break his record for All-Time Worst Strip again. And he does it so often.
    Ummm...were you arguring that CAD was never funny or is no longer funny? Because the jokes and humour have, in fact, been exactly the same (theme-wise) since it started, and have actually gotten a lot better and more well-executed IMO than a lotta' the crappy first attempts. I mean, it's cool if you don't like CAD (it looks like it's type of humour just doesn't sit with you...yes the game comics were about one aspect, they were supposed to be, it wasn't a statement about the game but a small but ridiculous joke), but it's a pretty damn hard argument to make, I think, that it has, in fact, gotten worse. I've liked -almost- all the recent jokes than older ones. He's gotten better.
    Shalom

    Spoiler
    Show

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Jibar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Everywhere

    Default Re: Megatokyo.

    I really can't add anything to this argument. Mostly because I love all the webcomics that we're saying suck. I'm the kind of guy who really loves something or absolutly hates it, so there's no real point trying to convince me otherwise.

    Though I gotta add this, Scott isn't the only guy who updates dayly, Dominic Deegan does as well,
    Nothing but a Nobody

    Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •