New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Magic creation question

I was looking through my source books and I found the feats Legendary Artisan (Ebberon Campaign Setting), Extraordinary Artisan (Ebberon Campaign Setting) and Magic Artisan (Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting). If I'm reading it right does that mean that you can take all three feats and make one kind of magic item with no GP or XP cost? or am I just reading it wrong? Cause if I'm not a human artificer can by level 3 make wondrous items absolutely free.
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.
    -Camus, An Absurd Reasoning

Fourth Doctor avatar courtesy of Szilard

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Magic creation question

I'm pretty sure there's a 1 xp minimum...
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

3. - Top - End - #3

I think the biggest issue here is convincing your DM that making free wonderous items is cool.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

no. they do basically the same thing. For legendary and extraordinary artisan, you reduce the base cost of the item by 25% for purposes of gp and xp costs for crafting the item. With magic artisan, you only pay 75% of the costs. Thus, you'd pay 56.25%, which is 75% of 75%.
    "The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words ... English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."

"The only thing necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing."

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Macrovore View Post
    no. they do basically the same thing. For legendary and extraordinary artisan, you reduce the base cost of the item by 25% for purposes of gp and xp costs for crafting the item. With magic artisan, you only pay 75% of the costs. Thus, you'd pay 56.25%, which is 75% of 75%.
    Multipliers add, they don't actually multiply. x3 on a crit is 400% damage, but when combined with spirited charge, for instance, it only does x6, or 700% more damage, not 1000%.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tor the Fallen View Post
    Multipliers add, they don't actually multiply. x3 on a crit is 400% damage, but when combined with spirited charge, for instance, it only does x6, or 700% more damage, not 1000%.
    You mean x4 on a crit, but, otherwise, yes.

The Eberron feats drop one cost (time, EXP, or GP) by 25% for all feats.

The FR feat drops all costs by 25% for one feat.

Take all four of them, and all costs are dropped 50%.

I believe that these are applied to the cost to create, not to the market price. If they were applied to the market price, then they would be free. Cost to create, and you're just getting items for cheap.
    Last projects, from years back: Lesser Disciplines (Tome of Battle). Also, Never Behind the Curve (multiclassing).

Some of my current work is under the name IGTN on D&D Wiki

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Actually the FR feat decreases the costs by 75% not 25%.
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.
    -Camus, An Absurd Reasoning

Fourth Doctor avatar courtesy of Szilard

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
    Actually the FR feat decreases the costs by 75% not 25%.
    Multiply by, not reduce by. It reduces costs to 75%.
    Last projects, from years back: Lesser Disciplines (Tome of Battle). Also, Never Behind the Curve (multiclassing).

Some of my current work is under the name IGTN on D&D Wiki

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by I_Got_This_Name View Post
    You mean x4 on a crit, but, otherwise, yes.
    I mean x3. 100% damage = x1, 200% damage = x2, etc. If you are told your dungeons are at 130% capacity, it means that there are thirty more prisoners per 100 than there should be, not that there are 130 more prisoners. If informed your world destroying device is only operating at 63% efficiency, that means that for every 100 souls you feed it, you only get 63 crippled orphans, not 163.

I believe that these are applied to the cost to create, not to the market price. If they were applied to the market price, then they would be free. Cost to create, and you're just getting items for cheap.
    Base price = 1/2 market price. These two feats would reduce the cost to 1/4 market price (1000 gp magic item normally costs 500 gp to craft; first feat reduces it to 375 gp; second feat subtracts an additional 125, for the low low cost of 250 gp to make).

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Tor, this is minor, but you wrote 400%. You might've meant 300%, but what you wrote is there. If a x2 crit is 200% normal damage, a x3 crit is 300% damage. Which it is. An axe crit is like getting hit three times, not three extra times.
    Ralien, my elf soulknife, by Magioth.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Callix View Post
    Tor, this is minor, but you wrote 400%. You might've meant 300%, but what you wrote is there. If a x2 crit is 200% normal damage, a x3 crit is 300% damage. Which it is. An axe crit is like getting hit three times, not three extra times.
    *Counts on fingers*
    Oh, I guess you're right.