A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 22 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Into the Dragon's Lair (OOC)

Spoiler: Big 16
    Show
    1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?

D&D 3.5

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?

This is a semi-generic fantasy world. Use basic (Greyhawk, I believe?) deities if you want to worship someone.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?

An average amount, 4 to 6 players.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?

Here on the forums.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?

15th level.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?

Average WBL (200,000 gp).

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?

If it is from a setting-specific splatbook, ask first. I will also be compiling a list of specifically banned classes (and mechanics) below.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?

I would prefer you stick with ECL 0 races, such as humans, elves, dwarves, etc. If you really want to play a non-standard race, talk to me. I may allow it depending on your overall character concept.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?

I'm gonna have you guys roll your stats the way we do it at my table - roll 4d6, reroll 1's, keep the best three, do this six times. If you don't get any scores above 15, I'll allow you to reroll. (Rerolls are also allowed if the rest of your scores just completely suck - case-by-case basis there.) HP is maxed at first level, rolled thereafter, but if you would roll below low average (3 on a d6, 4 on a d8, etc.), take the low average instead for that roll.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?

If you get along as a party, I couldn't care less about your alignment.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?

No multiclassing penalty.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?

Dice rolls will be made in either the OOC or IC, as appropriate.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.

Use Pathfinder's racial ability modifiers for the standard races (I.E. the total modified ability scores for your race should be +2). You may also take a simgle bloodline, subject to my approval.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?

It doesn't have to be extremely detailed, but please provide a background.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?

I would expect all three in this game, though hopefully a bit heavier in the role-playing area at times.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?

Ask before using Dragon Magazine content or any content not normally in 3.5.

Spoiler: Story
    Show
    The kingdom of Valisa was once a grand country, at the head of the curve when it came to magic and technology. Other kingdoms allied with it under a banner of peace, and those that didn't dared not attack them, for fear of destruction. However, even this kingdom was not infallible.

It started one night, decades ago. Prominent leaders of the kingdom were found dead in their sleep, assassinated with extreme prejudice. Corruption slowly began to spread through the streets, and it didn't take long for anarchy to break out through the cities. But this was no simple degreadation of order. No, this was the work of a far more malevolent force.

Valixuuntal. A shrewd and calculating dragon, his greedy gaze had been set upon the kingdom. The treasure and magic that flourished in the kingdom drew the wyrm, like a moth to a flame. He sent his spies and assassins throughout the kingdom, weakening their defenses slowly, until the moment came to strike.

A storm of blue scales and lightning breath tore through the capital city of Dul Granth that day, the valiant defenders of the city falling to the dragon's wrath. With their defenses spread fr too thin to prevent the attack, the kingdom fell into Valixuuntal's grasp.

Ever since, the forces of the dragon have seized control of every aspect of the kingdom. Many of the outer cities have fallen, their people forced into poverty and despair. The inner cities remain secure in the dragon's tyrranical rule, though the people suffer the wrath of the dragon's forces. And Valixuuntal remains secure in the capital, untouchable by any who would dare oppose him.

Or, that's the legend. But if that were true, then you wouldn't be here today.

For whatever reason, you have a score to settle with the dragon. You have found a few others who also share your goal. Together, you have assigned yourself a mission - to infiltrate Valisa, penetrate into Valixuuntal's lair, and slay the wyrm. Can you pull it off?

Spoiler: Character and Players
    Show
    Player Character Race and Class
    BilltheCynic Jun Qing (Theme) Necropolitan Human Monk 2/Swordsage 3/Shadow Sun Ninja 10
    Illven Lilith (Theme) Half-Fey Human Dread Necromancer 14/Mindbender 1
    Loyal Paladin Harley Marshall (Theme) Fire-souled Human Marshall 1/Sorcerer 6/Heartwarder 8
    Mando Knight Vorelaraek ux Iotharyte tibur Minerva Silverblade Dragonborn Human Paladin 15
    Snowbluff Bladi Phrenic Illumian Binder 2/SpontaneousCleric 1/DivineAnimaMage 10/UncannyTrickster 2

Please choose the colors you'll be using. Valixuuntal himself is using a Bolded Navy, while his allies will be using navy, medium blue, and blue, depending on their importance. (More important enemies will use darker shades.) Other NPCs will use primarily brown.

Now, could I have everyone roll a Gather Information check? The results will determine what you have discovered about how Valixuuntal's kingdom and rule over it works.

Spoiler: Known Information
    Show
    Common knowledge is that shortly after seizing control of the kingdom, a giant wall made of iron just sort of... appeared overnight, completely encircling the area known as Valisa today (note that this area is smaller than the old kingdom, as many of the outer cities fell into the control of other territories). Valixuuntal is rumored to have created it himself. Regardless, it's highly patrolled, and the only people allowed to travel through the gates seems to have magical wards about them, which keeps them from spilling nearly any information about how the "kingdom" inside is run.

Spoiler: For Elixa and Harley
    Show
    Magic within the kingdom seems highly restricted. From the scraps of information you can gather, most magic users either work directly for the dragon, or else are in hiding from his wrath. Long-range teleportation techniques seem to be monitored in some way, so it's unlikely that teleporting right up to Valixuuntal's lair will work. In addition, a suprising number of people have heard that he has secured loyalties from several groups that once thrived within Valisa, which is only going to make your job harder.

In addition, you're aware that Valixuuntal's exact age is unknown, research into his past has confirmed that he is at least four centuries old. In addition, you're aware that he may once ruled over a small group of other Blue Dragons, and that these dragons are currently nowhere to be found, suggesting they were either killed, or that they migrated to Valisa with Valixuuntal.

Spoiler: For Elixa
    Show
    You have discovered that Valixuuntal has made agreements with many "monstrous" races that were nearly exterminated within Valisa, including kobolds and goblinoids, giving them power within Valisa in exchange for their service. He also is rumored to have at least one half-dragon child living with him in the kingdom.

In addition, you have managed to find an old contact in Valisa's former port city, Biscal, which has since become a haven for rogues, pirates, and other ne'er-do-wellers seeking refuge from the laws of the various lands. This contact, who refuses to give a name but goes by the initial C, wants to meet you at The Tempest's Eye, a seedy tavern on the edge of town, at dawn tomorrow. He claims to know a way or two you can sneak past the Iron Wall and into Valixuuntal's kingdom, though he still is not sure why you would want to end up there. He claims to have contacted others that also have a desire to take to wyrm down, too. You know C to be a bit sketchy and often drunk, but fairly honest and trustworthy, with a knack for digging up information no one else seems to be able to get their hands on.

Spoiler: For Jun, Harley, Vorel, Bladi, and Lilith
    Show
    A strange man known only as C has sent each of you a letter, asking to meet him in a tavern known as The Tempest's Eye tomorrow at dawn, in Valisa's former port city of Biscal. The letter claims that C knows others who also seek Vaxiluuntal's destruction, and he may have a way for you to infiltrate his kingdom. Any of you that were already together may compare notes to see if the letters match (they do), and any checks made reveal that the letter seems legitimate.

As a party, your first task is going to be finding a way inside - many of the guards have access to flying, and magical sensors alert them if flight is attempted over the wall. Many have tried to get in (or out) that way, and none have succeeded. Depending on the results of the Gather Information check you'll make, you may have heard rumors about a way in...

The IC thread has been posted.

Old battle map to be found here!
    Last edited by Draconium; 2016-10-28 at 07:01 PM.
    Dark Red, the Voice of the Dragon

Extended Signature Link

Quote Originally Posted by Quiver View Post
    How much terrain does the forty foot long, flying, fire breathing lizard which may or may not have magic consider its domain?

As much as it god damn wants.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Into the Dragon's Lair (OOC)

Oh yes. Harley Marshall, reporting for duty.

Harley will speak in Passion.

I'll repost his theme song.

Gather Information
    (1d20+24)[32]

Spoiler: Appearance
    Show

Image Credit: Sakimichan
    Last edited by LoyalPaladin; 2016-04-11 at 12:47 PM.
    If purple is evil, bold gray is lawful good.

Extended Signature & Homebrew Signature

Check out my Celestial Compendium!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Without any ranks in the skill, it's basically just a straight Charisma check for me. (1d20+6)[11]

I'll use Dark Orange, I think.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

Lilith reporting for duty.

Gather information (1d20+10)[16]

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=772345

She will speak in Necromancy

Theme song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4oInT79CUk

Spoiler: Appearance
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Jun Qing will speak in shadow.

Gather information: (1d20+1)[13]

And since everyone else is doing it, theme song.
    Why yes, my avatar is a gelatinous cube swashbuckler. It is from the excellent webcomic Rusty and Co.

I'm two magic items!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Bladi will speak in Eldritch.

She may or may not be talking to herself a whole lot.

Spoiler: Character art!
    Show

Binding Checks:
    (1d20+25)[44]
    (1d20+25)[33]
    (1d20+25)[38]
    UAC: TEST OKAY. ALL BINDINGS NOMINAL.

Gather information
    (1d20+11)[14] +15 for Divine Insight.
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2016-04-11 at 02:57 PM.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Very happy to have been selected.

Eliza will speak in mellow but inspiring (oops I'm having trouble formating on my phone, but I'm going for gold).

On my gather info, since this would be very important to Eliza and she presumably wouldn't be too limited in resources at the moment, she's going to use both the Improvisation spell (+7 luck bonus to the roll) and the Insight of good fortune spell (roll twice and take the better one). Let me know if there is a problem with this.

(1d20+38)[11](11)
    (1d20+38)[3](3)

I think I messed up the addition part, but the total should be 49.
    Last edited by gabrion; 2016-04-11 at 01:22 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, Bladi can teleport. :p

She can also use her eyes of the King spell to scout overhead.
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2016-04-11 at 01:40 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

UAC: TEST OKAY. ALL BINDINGS NOMINAL.
    Hahahaha! That's awesome.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LoyalPaladin View Post
    Hahahaha! That's awesome.
    Have you played Armored Core: Verdict Day, then? :p

Oh, I played mechwarrior again.

My new coworker is a PC gamer, too. :3
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2016-04-11 at 01:52 PM.
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, I have updated the OP to reflect the results of the checks - unfortunately, only two of you actually rolled high enough to discover anything that wasn't common knowledge. However, there is something that should catch everyone's attention...

I'll post the IC thread soon.

EDIT: It's up!
    Last edited by Draconium; 2016-04-11 at 02:52 PM.

Extended Signature Link

How much terrain does the forty foot long, flying, fire breathing lizard which may or may not have magic consider its domain?

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Draconium View Post
    Okay, I have updated the OP to reflect the results of the checks - unfortunately, only two of you actually rolled high enough to discover anything that wasn't common knowledge. However, there is something that should catch everyone's attention...

I'll post the IC thread soon.
    Oh goody.

I shall continue to work on my paladin handbook while we wait.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Shucks

Show

What do you think?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Preparing Undetectable Alignment in the 2nd-level spell slot today. May need to buy some scrolls for it before we leave town, if possible. The second 3rd-level slot today will be another copy of Find the Gap, I think.

15. - Top - End - #15

Illven, your inbox is full.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Colossus in the Playground

Illven, your inbox is full.
    Fullness is an illusion. It's been emptied now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

17. - Top - End - #17

Shucks

Show

What do you think?
    I like it.

I was expecting this:
    Spoiler: Large Image
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Illven View Post
    Fullness is an illusion. It's been emptied now.
    Must have failed my will save.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Why do people keep posting as if C's outside the tavern? He's inside. Did I just word it in a confusing way?

Extended Signature Link

19. - Top - End - #19

Why do people keep posting as if C's outside the tavern? He's inside. Did I just word it in a confusing way?
    Because I apparently suck at reading.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    I misread the OP. I thought he was daring the mist outside, not daring it so he could go into the tavern haha.

Fun Fact: Prestidigitation is LP's favorite arcane spell.

20. - Top - End - #20

Oh. After re-reading the OP, that's actually pretty obvious. I take full responsibility The Paladin admits to misleading us! Blame him!

I'll make some minor edits to my post to correct it.
    Why yes, my avatar is a gelatinous cube swashbuckler. It is from the excellent webcomic Rusty and Co.

I'm two magic items!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Because I apparently suck at reading.
    Quote Originally Posted by BilltheCynic View Post
    Oh. After re-reading the OP, that's actually pretty obvious. I take full responsibility The Paladin admits to misleading us! Blame him!

I'll make some minor edits to my post to correct it.
    'Kay, just want to make sure I wasn't accidentally misleading you guys. Thanks.

Extended Signature Link

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

In case it comes up, I'd like to declare ahead of time that Vorel's morphing lance is in the shape of a greataxe at the moment, since it's easier to use when dismounted and in town, and a bit less conspicuous than a lance... or at least, an axe could be used by a thug or common mercenary as easily as a knight.
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2016-04-11 at 06:10 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

I like it.

I was expecting this:
    Spoiler: Large Image
    Show
    I do t think you get Bladi or Harley Quinn :p

Bladi is based on Bladicorn from that other game, so that's why she mostly looks the way she does.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Drac, on the topic of spending some final remaining cash, are you ok with minor schemas? The idea would be to pick out some cheap utility options that could be cast through my Eldritch Tapestry for times when using a schema (which are 1x/day) could come in handy.

25. - Top - End - #25

Let's see if Qing knows anything about Bladi's signs (if only he had ranks worth anything in any knowledge skills )

Knowledge Arcana: (1d20+2)[19]

I'm two magic items!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

gabrion, yes, the Minor Schema is fine, as long as you can find somewhere to buy one. You will.

Bill, I'm not exactly sure what the DC to figure out what vestiges are is, but I have a feeling that you didn't get high enough.

Extended Signature Link

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Bill, I'm not exactly sure what the DC to figure out what vestiges are is, but I have a feeling that you didn't get high enough.
    I can't find the rules for identifying them. halp. .-.

EDIT: Did you like my hunch/see enchantmentvestige description?
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2016-04-12 at 01:18 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

I can't find the rules for identifying them. halp. .-.

EDIT: Did you like my hunch/see enchantmentvestige description?
    I'm just going to say it's a Knowledge check (the exact kind depending on the vestige) with a DC equal to the binding DC. How does that sound?

ANd I quite enjoyed it.

Extended Signature Link

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Since so many people have chosen a theme song, here's Elixa's.

Thanks Drac. And I didn't mean buying schemas going forward so much (unless like you said we find a place where we can), but rather than I left my starting wealth a bit open and would like to round out my items with some utility magic (I think its an incorrect total by quite a bit right now because I double listed my armor and I don't think I removed the cost of one of them). So I was talking about added a few items at the start.

One other minor change is that I would like to change melodic casting feat for words of creation. I didn't select this at first on purpose, because if the other bard had been selected he would have had a higher inspire courage anyway, but since we didn't both get in, its probably worth it. Still won't be a crazy bonus (+9 or +10 depending if your earlier ruling included song of the heart bonus in the base bonus of inspire courage), but I can forego this if you think it would be a problem. At least I won't be running it with DFI adding +10d6 DMG to every attack made by the party. :)

Lastly, my bow, based on the Energy Bow from the WotC website, doesn't use a string or conventional arrows. Since this is the case and Elixa uses perform with string instruments, is it OK to add cost of masterwork lute to that of the bow, allowing her to use it as her insrrument? Basically it would have a bunch of strings, but they are used to play music, not shoot. Its mostly thematic as there are various other ways to achieve bardic music while still having the option to fight, but I just like this aesthetic better than say using some sort of vocal performance.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

I'm just going to say it's a Knowledge check (the exact kind depending on the vestige) with a DC equal to the binding DC. How does that sound?
    Sounds about right. Makes sense the more powerful ones are more obscure.
    ANd I quite enjoyed it.
    Excellent. :D

EDIT: B-but Bladi was being on topic. She was giving a way for everyone to communicate privately.
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2016-04-12 at 11:34 PM.