A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Into the Dragon's Lair (IC)

Into the Dragon's Lair

Thunder rumbles across the cloudy sky as you walk up the back alleys of Biscal. The stench of man and animal mingles unpleasantly in your nostrils as you make your way towards your destination. You can see it now, up ahead. A crooked little building, if one could even call it that, with a half-repaired roof and sagging walls, looking almost like they could collapse at any moment. A pitiful little sign hangs above the door. The Tempest's Eye, it proclaims, with a small carving of a local storm goddess beneath the words, hardly recognizable beneath a layer of mold that grows over the wood in the humid air.

At this hour of the morning - just after dawn - not much seems to stir in the streets. However, should you walk inside, you shall find the one patron who dares the morning mist. C, he called himself. A half-orc with a large gut counterpoint to his thinning hair, he still seems to be rubbing sleep out of his eyes. Even this early in the morning, he grasps a large mug of ale, already half-emptied into his cavernous throat. Squinting, he turns to examine you.

"Ah. You ya came, eh?"
    Dark Red, the Voice of the Dragon

Extended Signature Link

Quote Originally Posted by Quiver View Post
    How much terrain does the forty foot long, flying, fire breathing lizard which may or may not have magic consider its domain?

As much as it god damn wants.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Into the Dragon's Lair (IC)

Harley Marshall

"Well it would be quite rude if we didn't." Harley says with a smile. "Are you the owner of this... establishment?" He gestures to the building.
    If purple is evil, bold gray is lawful good.

Extended Signature & Homebrew Signature

Check out my Celestial Compendium!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

"Wha, me? Nah. But they make good ale here. More than makes up for the 'atmosphere'." Chuckling, C took another swig of his ale. "'Sides, the fact it looks like it's gonna fall over any sec keeps some of the more... troublesome fold away from here."

Extended Signature Link

How much terrain does the forty foot long, flying, fire breathing lizard which may or may not have magic consider its domain?

4. - Top - End - #4

Harley Marshall

"Ah, I see." Harley puts on hand on his hip. "Shall we go inside? I believe we have business to discuss."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Bladi

The pale young woman with blue hair and wings is sipping at a mug. She seems to be bringing an oppressive darkness with her, which doesn't lighten the grimy tavern in any way and makes it difficult to see. "It's true, this place is a cesspool," Bladi says, swirling her ale. "Of course, whether or not this swill makes up for it is moot," she finishes dumping the remainder on the floor. "I'm a busy (and beautiful) young woman. I hope you have what what I'm looking for." She stares at C with her blank, mirror like eyes.
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2016-04-11 at 03:32 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

Lilith

Lilith walks in the tavern having come up the alley with a man at her side.

You can just walk in you know, like that young woman just did. She turns to Harley, flashing him a smile as she enters into the grimy tavern.

Hesitating she grimaces as she sits down on a nearby stool seeming to want to touch it with as little skirt as possible.

What's your interest, in what the note details? Lilith asks with far more less creepiness in her gaze then the other woman. However it doesn't seem fully focused on this C fellow.

Spoiler
    Show

What does mindsight pick up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

7. - Top - End - #7

Harley Marshall

Harley walks inside along with Lilith. "Of course." before she can sit down, Harley will cast prestidigitation on her chair, cleaning it thoroughly. "Please, miss." He gestures to the now clean chair. He will shoot Bladi a sideways glance, attempting to place her in his memory. She looked really familiar.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    I misread the OP. I thought he was daring the mist outside, not daring it so he could go into the tavern haha.

Fun Fact: Prestidigitation is LP's favorite arcane spell.
    Last edited by LoyalPaladin; 2016-04-11 at 04:11 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8

Lilith

Lilith opens her mouth in surprise, before turning and curtsying to Harvey. Thank you, kind sir.

Lilith notes the sideways glance and looks at Bladi herself. Do you know her? She whispers to the sorcerer.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

9. - Top - End - #9

Harley Marshall

Harley's attention snaps back to Lilith. "To be determined, I'm afraid."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Jun Qing

Jun Qing strides casually and easily beside Lilith to the tavern. He is wearing his standard, loose clothing, and his headband makes his normally deathly-pale skin look much more living. He calmly sweeps his gaze around as they walk, assessing the area and alert for the very few dangers that Lilith could not detect.

Well, I have certainly seen better places, Qing comments as they approach the Tempest's Eye. He holds open the door for Lilith before entering himself. Qing nods curtly to the half-orc, presumably C, before taking a seat next to Lilith and sweeping the inside of the tavern with his senses. It seems that quite a few people had been given similar letters, and Qing waits for everyone to assemble so they can discuss business.

Spoiler
    Show
    1) What is Qing picking up with Lifesight, and 2) wwat are all of the exits in this place that Qing can see?
    Last edited by BilltheCynic; 2016-04-12 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Turns out, C is inside the tavern. Oops.
    Why yes, my avatar is a gelatinous cube swashbuckler. It is from the excellent webcomic Rusty and Co.

I'm two magic items!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

C takes another long swig. "Not to worry, not to worry. Once everyone's here, I'm gonna explain everything, a'right?" He nods as a small gnome comes out from a room behind the counter, receiving a nod back.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Mindsight and Lifesense are both picking up two creatures (aside from the PC's): C, who definitely a humanoid (with higher than average intelligence, actually - around 14 Int), and the gnome (who is obviously a barkeep with average (11) intelligence).

There's only one obvious exit - the way you came in. Howver, there are a couple of windows around that could serve as a hasty exit, and there might be a backdoor you can't see.
    Last edited by Draconium; 2016-04-11 at 05:07 PM.

Extended Signature Link

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Vorel steps into the tavern, and her eyes quickly settle on the gathering of perhaps the only beings in the city as visually conspicuous as herself. She lowers the hood of her cloak (revealing her draconic face) and steps toward the group. "Then let us hope that we will be gathered and ready before the dragon's spies are."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Bladi

Bladi noted the other minds in the area. It's importan to keep track after all.

"Harley is an old flame of mine. Though I suspect he never did get over his old feelings for me,"
    Bladi says, possibly projecting. "Harley darling, who is this maggot infested homely little trollop?"
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2016-04-12 at 01:45 AM.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Elixa walks through Biscal alone, headed toward The Tempest's Eye. She has no reason to distrust C, so she's looking forward to meeting him. Especially since she heard he may have reached out to some other individuals of similar interest.

When she arrives, she recognizes C, but not any of the other individuals in the room. Anyone who takes note of her notices a very pretty girl wearing and carrying many tell-tale items of the adventuring trade. She wears a nice breastplate, but carries no visible weapon. She looks kind but also hardened in the way only a seasoned adventurer can. When walking around in public like this, Elixa folds her feathery wings against her back and covers them with her billowy cloak. She nods politely at anyone who looks her way, but eventually speaks to C.

"I'm glad I found you here and I hope your information is as good as it has been in the past."

If it seems like C is still waiting for others, she will wait quietly while observing the other individuals in the room.

15. - Top - End - #15

Harley Marshall

Harley squints his eyes at Bladi, "Wait a second." His eyes open wide. "No no no no no. This is a very bad thing. Do you have any idea how long it took me to clean the blood off of these pants?!"

16. - Top - End - #16

Lilith

Lilith doesn't even seem to comprehend that the maggot comment was aimed at her.

Does your friend have special senses? The angel just walked in, and she seems lovely enough. Lilith whispers to Harley.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Bladi

Bladi laughs. "Callista was a parasite. She learned her lesson. After all, we had a very good teacher." Bladi gives a knowing grin. "Lessons may have to continue until you come to your senses and a remember that you have standards. It's really that simple," she says jovially. She may be glancing at Lillith, but it's difficult to tell when she has those eyes that reflect images so well, but have no image of their own.
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.

18. - Top - End - #18

Jun Qing

Qing nods to the two newcomers, then turns to the blue-haired woman and calmly says, We have been gathered to discuss a hidden way into Valisa, and you are busy making jabs at and threatening the people you might soon be working with. It is nice to know that you have your priorities straight.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Any chance Qing can use Sense Motive to detect some influence behind Bladi's jealousy and general hatred of other women? Rolling just in case the answer is yes: (1d20+21)[26]
    Why yes, my avatar is a gelatinous cube swashbuckler. It is from the excellent webcomic Rusty and Co.

I'm two magic items!

19. - Top - End - #19

Harley Marshall

A grimace flashes across Harley's face. "You're clinically insane." He steps to the opposite side of the table as Bladi. "And just because someone isn't you, doesn't make them lesser." He pauses for a second. "Also, our goldfish died and you didn't even stop by."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Bladi

Jun notices that Bladi behavior does seem a little off kilter. Maybe it's a subtle twitch of her cheek when she speaks, or how she always seems to be listening to someone else when she isn't. It's like her attention is being constantly divided by some unseen actor. She does certainly seems earnest, though.

"You fool. You presume to know me? You don't even know what you don't know!"
    Bladi may be looking at either Harley or Jun when she says this. Again, it can be hard to tell with er eyes being what they are. "Oh, and Pongo died? That's unfortunate. He was in the top 1% of goldfish." Bladi frowns.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Billy, I think you can make a knowledge check to determine the vestiges by their signs.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Ignoring the bickering between Harley and Bladi, C grinned up at Elixa. "Looks like we're all finally here, then..." Clearing his throat, the half-orc stood up, nodding to the barkeep, who took his cue and left the room. "Okay. Stop fighting, everyone. Ladies, gents... Bladi... It's time to get down to business. This is, if you want to get into Valisa alive."

Extended Signature Link

22. - Top - End - #22

Harley Marshall

"Of course, my apologies." Harley refocuses on C and bows humbly. "Please, continue."

23. - Top - End - #23

Lilith

Lilith drops her attention from Bladi and Harley and focuses solely on the half-orc, pulling out some paper and a quill.

Okay. What do we need to know? She asks the half orc.

24. - Top - End - #24

Jun Qing

Qing turns to the half-orc. Yes. But perhaps we should not have this conversation out loud.

I'm two magic items!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Bladi

"Hrk!"
    Bladi is startled, expresses her disapproval at being singled out. It's not that she doesn't like be held apart, it's just that she doesn't feel like it's because C recognizes her for the naturally superior and amazingly talented young incantatrix that she is.

"I can do you one better. I can be having this whole conversation in my HEAD. IT'S QUITE SIMPLE REALLY. Don't ask me to explain it, you wouldn't understand."

26. - Top - End - #26

Jun Qing

Qing glances at the blue-haired girl...Bladi...and says, Perhaps you would prefer to demonstrate.

I'm two magic items!

27. - Top - End - #27

Harley Marshall

Harley raises an eyebrow at Bladi. "This is neither the time, nor the place." Tilting his head and looking at Qing he adds. "Don't encourage her schizophrenic tenancies." He rubs his temples. "Please continue, C."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Bladi

"Schizophrenic?! Your schizophrenic if you think THAT I can be schizophrenic! I CAN'T be schizophrenic!"
    Bladi imparts to the party, using her telepathic abilities that she acquired from her binding. The thoughts are overlaid with what sounds like the noise nails make when grinding against a chalkboard, and the murmurings of at least 3 other people. It is not pleasant.

29. - Top - End - #29

Lilith

I'm pretty confident thinking someone has a mental disorder, does not in fact require you to have said disorder. Lilith pipes up using her own telepathy to broadcast to the party, as she drummed her fingers on the table in annoyance.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"May we please focus our thoughts back on the task at hand?" Vorel has quickly realized that keeping these bickering children on-topic may be nearly as great a challenge as killing the dragon himself, and that she probably lacked the presence and authority to knock some sense into them.