New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Zodi Plays: Momodora Reverie Under the Moonlight (So many adorable death cries!)

It begins! Welcome to the new LP, in which we play Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight! This is the fourth game of the Momodora series, but it's also a full on prequel. The Momodora games are a series of four super cute action games, 2D and sprite based, with some exploration elements (though the levels are fairly liner). Each game has progressively gotten more and more indepeth (Momo1 is basically an arcade game, Momo3 is the first game rdein, the creator, felt was worth charging actual money for). Momo4, the game we'll be playing through, is basically the magnum opus of the series from what I've seen, and is very clearly inspired by Dark Souls and the Souls series (rdein has outright stated so I believe) while also being kinder (but not too kind. More on that later).

So lets establish some ground rules; I've played the games before this, but I'll be trying to keep information directly FROM them out of this thread, or at least in spoiler tags. This game series is very Dark Souls esque in how it delivers plot, gameplay, and exposition, so we'll be doing a lot of discussion here. Try to keep it to this game! Additional, the choice that won last poll was for a relatively short game, preferably blind. So this is a BLIND playthrough folks. Don't spoil the game for me! With that said, lets get moving!

Zodi Plays: Momodora Reverie Under the Moonlight [1] Kaho

Video Length: 15:11

Just a note before we begin: video's will be a little shorter than normal. Due to just how this game presents itself, it's length, and just a general pacing of placements with regard to save point bells, we'll be having shorter videos. Hope you don't mind. I'll be shooting for around 15 minutes.

(This write up involves some info we learn at the end of the video)

We open in The Sacred Ordalia Grove. A little bandaged up man and our protagonist, Kaho. She is an adorable little priestess of the west, and she's come to these lands for a singular purpose. She must beseech Her Majesty, the Queen of the city of Karst, for aid in putting a stop to a horrible curse. Outfitted with her priestess hood, a simple bow with blessed arrows (probably) and the commonplace weapon of those like her, a maple leaf, she heads forward, a heavy burden on her shoulders and hope in her heart.

Kaho controls VERY well. Movement is responsive and tight and just feels enjoyable. Her jumping is quick and you can modulate the height by holding the button. A wonderfully cute touch is that when you double jump, you get a little sparkle of leaves. It's adorable and great. Combat is simple, but in my opinion quite deep. You only have a three hit combo on the ground, which does small amounts of damage for the first two hits but a large SMASH on the third. Her mid air attack is a single strike that seems to be around the third hit of her combo's strength, maybe a little less. She's got a dodge roll that makes her practically invincible for the majority of the rolling, and she of course has her arrows, which can be charged up to two levels. If you hold the button just long enough to start the charging, you shoot a Charge Level 1 arrow, which does increased damage. Hold it a little longer and you'll hit Charge Level 2, which fires a spread shot of arrows slightly stronger than the Charge Level 1 arrow. It's spread means you can get some serious damage in!

Now, what enemies do we have to bare our arms at? First of all is the most basic of basic, cute little imp girls. They're green and come in a few flavors. Some bounce around, some hold up shields, both of these throw knives. They do quite a lot of damage for such basic enemies, and I want you all to keep that in mind. This game doesn't pull any punches. The third type of imp throws poison bombs made from seeds. I wonder where they get those...

The second enemies we'll have to fight in this forest are these little oni dudes who look like vegetables. They can run into you violently or try to bash you with their club. Hidden away in one corner of this area is a HUGE one that you do NOT want to mess with...which is why I mess with it. The reward is quite worth it though, and we'll be talking about those next.

We have more than just our leaf and bow to assist us. We have usable items and passive items. Usable items are, as the name implies, usable! You use them and get an effect. The only one we currently have is perhaps the most important; Bellflowers! Symbolic of the holy bells we pray to and ring to save our game, they heal us as we crunch them into our leg. We only have 3 for now, but they get refilled at each bell (as does all usable items). Passive items are ones that just give an effect for being equipped. Our first is the Astral Charm, which radically increases the amount of munny stars that drop. Yay for munny!

As we explore the forest, beating up jerks, avoiding hurting a poor innocent spider, and finding a collectable (Ivory Bugs yo!) we finally reach the bridge to Karst City's gate...and what we find there is quite intimidating. Edea, the Arthropod Demon! She's quite a fearsome boss, even for what amounts to a tutorial fight. She can claw at you, either in the air or on the ground. She can spew gouts of poison, as well as spew those poison seed bombs that the imps have been using. She can also perform a FEARSOME tail swipe. You can hit her tail or her head, and I'm pretty sure if you beat her through her tail you'll get a thing (it feels appropriate for this game to do) but I didn't get it. Consequences of this being a blind run! I'll try and show everything off in the future. Point is, we defeat Edea and progress onward.

A nice sickly, perhaps skeletonly, man greets us at the gates. He warns us that Karst is too cursed, and seems to be the center of it all. But then, this man seems quite strange. Askorn, an age old man who's searching for a loved one. I wonder what this could be...at any rate, he warns us of Karst City, and sends us on our way. We find a holy bell and a cute little girl next to it, but I'll talk more about those next time since this is getting fairly long. It's a shop I'll delve into it a little more later.

So yeah, that's the episode. I hope you all enjoyed, and follow along with this game. Help me discuss this game and what it all could mean. See you guys Monday!

------

Taking a bit below the main body of the post to talk about some game design stuff, as well as talk about some cute lore we've seen this video. Firstly, and I mention this in video but it's vital I bring it up in more detail here: there is a moment where we're faced with a large pit of spikes and a crystal orb at the end. Putting aside the fact that everything in our game playing knowledge says "hit it somehow", lets look at it as if we've never played a video game before. It's clear we have no way to jump across, and there are arrows notched into the ground near the crystal orb. This is one of the best implicit tutorials I've seen in a long time. If you've followed me through Skyward Sword you may know that...sometimes we have some poor tutorials to go through. This is what all tutorials should really strive for. I'm certain that if you brought someone with no real knowledge of games and how they work here and had them play the game enough to get familiar with what they can do, they'd figure this out immediately.

This game has other pretty good unwritten tutorials, like the small corridor you have to dodge roll past an imp in and small safe moments where you get to learn how passing through platforms work, how the pink bounce cubes work, and how each enemy type does it's thing. Then they throw them all together in a pretty nice challenge. I love it and it's great. They also show quite clearly that invisible walls exist by having an imp jump along into one, and it's nigh impossible to kill her before she reveals it to you. Stuff like this, plus the aesthetic of this game and how well it plays, it's just fantastic.

------

Now for some lore!

The three main things we have in this video is our Maple Leaf, the Bellflowers, and the Ivory Bugs. The Maple Leaf is a holy weapon blessed by the Matriarch, from the Lun Tree of our homeland of Lun. They're sharp in both edge and magic, able to purify demons. They're the signature weapon of Priestess's of the west, a noble weapon. I think this is adorable, and really fits the dark magical world this game takes place in. A lone girl with a maple leaf for defense, but it's bite is deadly to the monsters she faces.

Next is the Bellflowers. The game doesn't give us too much about them, but the implied stuff going on is quite clear. These flowers are sour, but by crunching them up and presumably eating them heals us. Named Bellflowers from their appearance and their role of healing, much like our holy bells. The animation is a little weird, smashing it into your leg and all, but I think it's fast and visceral and good for gameplay. She's busy fighting, she can't snack on the flower like it's a picnic! She's gotta smash it quick and then jam it into her facehole. I like it, because it really speaks to how Kaho sees what she's doing. A task she must do quickly, with intent.

Finally, the Ivory Bugs. These simple white bugs that are quite tricky to find. They're clearly important, shining like ivory and said to eat disease. The nature of Karst's Curse is unclear, but it's clearly some sort of sickness. Our bandaged up travel guide, the sickly looking skeleton people. Something is very clearly wrong, and perhaps these bugs will help us. I've no idea, but we'll find out.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Zodi Plays: Momodora Reverie Under the Moonlight (So many adorable death cries!)

Spoiler: Zodi Says:
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post

It begins! Welcome to the new LP, in which we play Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight! This is the fourth game of the Momodora series, but it's also a full on prequel. The Momodora games are a series of four super cute action games, 2D and sprite based, with some exploration elements (though the levels are fairly liner). Each game has progressively gotten more and more indepeth (Momo1 is basically an arcade game, Momo3 is the first game rdein, the creator, felt was worth charging actual money for). Momo4, the game we'll be playing through, is basically the magnum opus of the series from what I've seen, and is very clearly inspired by Dark Souls and the Souls series (rdein has outright stated so I believe) while also being kinder (but not too kind. More on that later).

So lets establish some ground rules; I've played the games before this, but I'll be trying to keep information directly FROM them out of this thread, or at least in spoiler tags. This game series is very Dark Souls esque in how it delivers plot, gameplay, and exposition, so we'll be doing a lot of discussion here. Try to keep it to this game! Additional, the choice that won last poll was for a relatively short game, preferably blind. So this is a BLIND playthrough folks. Don't spoil the game for me! With that said, lets get moving!

Zodi Plays: Momodora Reverie Under the Moonlight [1] Kaho

Video Length: 15:11

Just a note before we begin: video's will be a little shorter than normal. Due to just how this game presents itself, it's length, and just a general pacing of placements with regard to save point bells, we'll be having shorter videos. Hope you don't mind. I'll be shooting for around 15 minutes.

(This write up involves some info we learn at the end of the video)

We open in The Sacred Ordalia Grove. A little bandaged up man and our protagonist, Kaho. She is an adorable little priestess of the west, and she's come to these lands for a singular purpose. She must beseech Her Majesty, the Queen of the city of Karst, for aid in putting a stop to a horrible curse. Outfitted with her priestess hood, a simple bow with blessed arrows (probably) and the commonplace weapon of those like her, a maple leaf, she heads forward, a heavy burden on her shoulders and hope in her heart.

Kaho controls VERY well. Movement is responsive and tight and just feels enjoyable. Her jumping is quick and you can modulate the height by holding the button. A wonderfully cute touch is that when you double jump, you get a little sparkle of leaves. It's adorable and great. Combat is simple, but in my opinion quite deep. You only have a three hit combo on the ground, which does small amounts of damage for the first two hits but a large SMASH on the third. Her mid air attack is a single strike that seems to be around the third hit of her combo's strength, maybe a little less. She's got a dodge roll that makes her practically invincible for the majority of the rolling, and she of course has her arrows, which can be charged up to two levels. If you hold the button just long enough to start the charging, you shoot a Charge Level 1 arrow, which does increased damage. Hold it a little longer and you'll hit Charge Level 2, which fires a spread shot of arrows slightly stronger than the Charge Level 1 arrow. It's spread means you can get some serious damage in!

Now, what enemies do we have to bare our arms at? First of all is the most basic of basic, cute little imp girls. They're green and come in a few flavors. Some bounce around, some hold up shields, both of these throw knives. They do quite a lot of damage for such basic enemies, and I want you all to keep that in mind. This game doesn't pull any punches. The third type of imp throws poison bombs made from seeds. I wonder where they get those...

The second enemies we'll have to fight in this forest are these little oni dudes who look like vegetables. They can run into you violently or try to bash you with their club. Hidden away in one corner of this area is a HUGE one that you do NOT want to mess with...which is why I mess with it. The reward is quite worth it though, and we'll be talking about those next.

We have more than just our leaf and bow to assist us. We have usable items and passive items. Usable items are, as the name implies, usable! You use them and get an effect. The only one we currently have is perhaps the most important; Bellflowers! Symbolic of the holy bells we pray to and ring to save our game, they heal us as we crunch them into our leg. We only have 3 for now, but they get refilled at each bell (as does all usable items). Passive items are ones that just give an effect for being equipped. Our first is the Astral Charm, which radically increases the amount of munny stars that drop. Yay for munny!

As we explore the forest, beating up jerks, avoiding hurting a poor innocent spider, and finding a collectable (Ivory Bugs yo!) we finally reach the bridge to Karst City's gate...and what we find there is quite intimidating. Edea, the Arthropod Demon! She's quite a fearsome boss, even for what amounts to a tutorial fight. She can claw at you, either in the air or on the ground. She can spew gouts of poison, as well as spew those poison seed bombs that the imps have been using. She can also perform a FEARSOME tail swipe. You can hit her tail or her head, and I'm pretty sure if you beat her through her tail you'll get a thing (it feels appropriate for this game to do) but I didn't get it. Consequences of this being a blind run! I'll try and show everything off in the future. Point is, we defeat Edea and progress onward.

A nice sickly, perhaps skeletonly, man greets us at the gates. He warns us that Karst is too cursed, and seems to be the center of it all. But then, this man seems quite strange. Askorn, an age old man who's searching for a loved one. I wonder what this could be...at any rate, he warns us of Karst City, and sends us on our way. We find a holy bell and a cute little girl next to it, but I'll talk more about those next time since this is getting fairly long. It's a shop I'll delve into it a little more later.

So yeah, that's the episode. I hope you all enjoyed, and follow along with this game. Help me discuss this game and what it all could mean. See you guys Monday!

------

Taking a bit below the main body of the post to talk about some game design stuff, as well as talk about some cute lore we've seen this video. Firstly, and I mention this in video but it's vital I bring it up in more detail here: there is a moment where we're faced with a large pit of spikes and a crystal orb at the end. Putting aside the fact that everything in our game playing knowledge says "hit it somehow", lets look at it as if we've never played a video game before. It's clear we have no way to jump across, and there are arrows notched into the ground near the crystal orb. This is one of the best implicit tutorials I've seen in a long time. If you've followed me through Skyward Sword you may know that...sometimes we have some poor tutorials to go through. This is what all tutorials should really strive for. I'm certain that if you brought someone with no real knowledge of games and how they work here and had them play the game enough to get familiar with what they can do, they'd figure this out immediately.

This game has other pretty good unwritten tutorials, like the small corridor you have to dodge roll past an imp in and small safe moments where you get to learn how passing through platforms work, how the pink bounce cubes work, and how each enemy type does it's thing. Then they throw them all together in a pretty nice challenge. I love it and it's great. They also show quite clearly that invisible walls exist by having an imp jump along into one, and it's nigh impossible to kill her before she reveals it to you. Stuff like this, plus the aesthetic of this game and how well it plays, it's just fantastic.

------

Now for some lore!

The three main things we have in this video is our Maple Leaf, the Bellflowers, and the Ivory Bugs. The Maple Leaf is a holy weapon blessed by the Matriarch, from the Lun Tree of our homeland of Lun. They're sharp in both edge and magic, able to purify demons. They're the signature weapon of Priestess's of the west, a noble weapon. I think this is adorable, and really fits the dark magical world this game takes place in. A lone girl with a maple leaf for defense, but it's bite is deadly to the monsters she faces.

Next is the Bellflowers. The game doesn't give us too much about them, but the implied stuff going on is quite clear. These flowers are sour, but by crunching them up and presumably eating them heals us. Named Bellflowers from their appearance and their role of healing, much like our holy bells. The animation is a little weird, smashing it into your leg and all, but I think it's fast and visceral and good for gameplay. She's busy fighting, she can't snack on the flower like it's a picnic! She's gotta smash it quick and then jam it into her facehole. I like it, because it really speaks to how Kaho sees what she's doing. A task she must do quickly, with intent.

Finally, the Ivory Bugs. These simple white bugs that are quite tricky to find. They're clearly important, shining like ivory and said to eat disease. The nature of Karst's Curse is unclear, but it's clearly some sort of sickness. Our bandaged up travel guide, the sickly looking skeleton people. Something is very clearly wrong, and perhaps these bugs will help us. I've no idea, but we'll find out.

The game...it looks beautiful. Reflections in the water, leaves and sprites floating around? Environment changes as you move through the area? All very nice. I like the throws you into the story without explanation aspect of this game. I've been playing some other games recently where you have to wait a while to start. Now waiting isn't always bad, but its refreshing to just...start. Not have to pick anything either. Just, here's your weapon, lets go. All the enemies are cute enough that at first I thought you were attacking kids, but then the started throwing sharp things or swinging clubs and I quickly realized that its the style. It reminds me of nymphs and fauns. All the imps/demons are female, all the oni's are male. That could just be all that we encountered so far...but so far that's what I'm getting. I like the obvious relations the big Oni has with the smaller ones, and the Imps with the Demon Arthropod.

The collector in me bounces with happiness at hidden ivory bugs, and items to equip. Looks like a good time. Exposition is given to us in a mysterious, informative way by environment, small exposition in the form of NPC's and enemies in sacred areas. Its as if Skyward Sword said, hey, Faron Woods is a sacred place people got to for prayer and meditation, and when you get there its chock full of enemies. That clearly tells you something is significantly wrong. Details like that are ways that make subtle games more enjoyable, because it feels like the game is trusting you to connect the dots, rather than holding your hand. That to me is what newer games sometimes lack: Either they're explicit at first so they can set up things later without tutorials, or they throw you in and make it VERY difficult. I feel this is the happy medium. I especially liked the arrow example. That was indeed nice.

I also like they give you a melee and ranged weapon to begin with, so you can vary your attacks based on the kind of enemy there is, and what attack they are using. I hope some enemies are less effected by one or the other, but I suppose we shall see. It'd be interesting if there were other leaves or bow upgrades as well. It is pretty hilarious that its a maple leaf, given where you live. I laughed.

I know nothing about this series, but I can say it looks right down my alley. I kinda was thrown off by the name for some reason. Just goes to show you can't judge a game by its title.

Also, death counter.

Deaths - 1
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2016-04-15 at 08:43 AM.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Zodi Plays: Momodora Reverie Under the Moonlight (So many adorable death cries!)

Actually taking the time to sit down and watch while it's still manageable! Hooray! Looking forward to it.

Anyway, this game looks really good; I've never so much as heard of the series before, but as you say, the aesthetic looks great.
    Of particular note that you didn't point out that I really liked, in terms of animation and spritework, our buddy Askorn there has that hole in his head, but the artist clearly spent a while thinking about it 3-dimensionally, because you can see the perspective on it change a little when he moves his head. I'm not sure why I'm as impressed by this as I am -- maybe it's just living in an age where you see a lot of character art just get mirrored or the like -- but it goes a long way.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Moemon Leafgreen (Complete)
    Long Live the Queen (Complete)
    Harvest Moon 64 (Complete)

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)
    Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    I... wow. I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty. The LP Goddess herself has graced this thread with her presence. I just... what...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Hmmm... I am reminded of Touhou.

Munny missed: 8
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Prettty sure I told you guys it looked nice. I love the design and backgrounds of everything I've seen.
    Spoiler: Quote(s)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    You're my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I'll kill them! I'll kill all of them!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    We're crashing Wombat's wedding! WITH AN ARMY OF WOMBATS AND BUDGIES.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Yay new game! I'm all sorts of excited for this one, especially coming off Four Swords (which I'll be honest, I stopped watching after Vaati went down. I have fond memories of playing the game as a child, but it does not make for entertaining watching as a single player game. It worked as a tech demo and sometimes party game but... yeah). But multiple reasons to be excited for this one!

1) The relatively short blind run game was my kickstarter choice, so I'm very happy others agreed with that pick and voted it in.
    2) I am completely unfamiliar with the game personally, having never heard of the series until Zodi said she picked it.
    3) Zodi is good at picking games. The Dark Souls/Metroidvania style of play makes for fun watching, and the art/aesthetics of the game are beautiful, legitimately prettier and better polished than many large studio games I could name.

Now I'm not someone who's generally a big fan of the "piece the story together for yourself from a ton of different disparate sources", I tend to prefer my narrative be of the narrative style. I'm a novel reader for a reason! But I can get behind it in this case primarily because this thread exists. Already there's discussion here about what's being revealed in the game, and I'm sure as we delve deeper that will only get better. So I'll just treat this thread as my story/lore reference point and enjoy the videos for the gameplay. Win-Win!
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Well, this was a nice thing to be able to watch after exams!

Looks interesting. Haven't ever heard of this series before, so can't wait to see what comes up...
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

ah good, this finally gets going. I just lost interest after the first four-swords video. just wasn't all that good compared to Minish Cap.

let see what happens here, this seems interesting.

and yeah, this seems really atmospheric. I think I can tell what happening without any exposition: something is definitely going wrong with the spirits in this kingdom and its up to a priestess to do something about it, you don't send a priestess to fix this unless something is seriously wrong in some spiritual way.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

9. - Top - End - #9

NecromancerGuy

And now we know why Zodi's avatar has the top part of a white mage's outfit being worn as a hood and shawl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    Also, death counter.

Deaths - 1
    Devious! You beat poor Shneeky to the punch too!

Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    Of particular note that you didn't point out that I really liked, in terms of animation and spritework, our buddy Askorn there has that hole in his head, but the artist clearly spent a while thinking about it 3-dimensionally, because you can see the perspective on it change a little when he moves his head. I'm not sure why I'm as impressed by this as I am -- maybe it's just living in an age where you see a lot of character art just get mirrored or the like -- but it goes a long way.
    I was actually going to point out some of the animation and spritework stuff later but OH MY GOD you're right. That's...actually pretty amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Hmmm... I am reminded of Touhou.

Munny missed: 8
    Oh man, gonna have to deal with this now. My poor wallet shall be lacking in cash once more!

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    1) The relatively short blind run game was my kickstarter choice, so I'm very happy others agreed with that pick and voted it in.
    2) I am completely unfamiliar with the game personally, having never heard of the series until Zodi said she picked it.
    3) Zodi is good at picking games. The Dark Souls/Metroidvania style of play makes for fun watching, and the art/aesthetics of the game are beautiful, legitimately prettier and better polished than many large studio games I could name.

Now I'm not someone who's generally a big fan of the "piece the story together for yourself from a ton of different disparate sources", I tend to prefer my narrative be of the narrative style. I'm a novel reader for a reason! But I can get behind it in this case primarily because this thread exists. Already there's discussion here about what's being revealed in the game, and I'm sure as we delve deeper that will only get better. So I'll just treat this thread as my story/lore reference point and enjoy the videos for the gameplay. Win-Win!
    PSst, it's Patreon not Kickstarter

Thanks! I like to think I can pick out games that look good.

Yeah, putting the plot together is half the fun. That being said this game is fairly simple in plot, it's more the background details that may need some delving into. Again, much like Dark Souls.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Well, this was a nice thing to be able to watch after exams!

Looks interesting. Haven't ever heard of this series before, so can't wait to see what comes up...
    Almost everyone has said "I've never seen this before and it is neat" in this thread and I love it. We're all blind here!

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    And now we know why Zodi's avatar has the top part of a white mage's outfit being worn as a hood and shawl.
    Girl's gotta dress up man.

11. - Top - End - #11

NecromancerGuy

I'm inclined to agree with Askorn here, clearly some major Heresy was going on if we have Imp Girls bouncing aroud the place.

That just seems wrong on so many levels.

Veggiepygmy oni are totally cute, though. Except for the biggun. He's more derp.

I can't wait to see you figure out what's up with that spider and the rude but non-hostile Imp Girl.

Also what's going on with that Blood Red moon over the dark, haunted city of skeleton people.

(Part of me can't wait to see a fat skeleton man)

Anyone else notice that Kaho's skin took on a sickly green pallor as soon as she entered Karst's darkened streets?

Yay new game! I'm all sorts of excited for this one, especially coming off Four Swords (which I'll be honest, I stopped watching after Vaati went down. I have fond memories of playing the game as a child, but it does not make for entertaining watching as a single player game. It worked as a tech demo and sometimes party game but... yeah). But multiple reasons to be excited for this one!

Nail on the head, yeah.

It's a lot more interesting with audience participation or seeing what someone has pieced together of it, yeah. Granted, I'm one of those people for whom research papers were just not at all a fun thing back in school days.

Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    Actually taking the time to sit down and watch while it's still manageable! Hooray! Looking forward to it.

Anyway, this game looks really good; I've never so much as heard of the series before, but as you say, the aesthetic looks great.
    And here I thought that was just a tuft of hair and scalp still randomly on the Skele-man's skull from where his flesh hadn't completely rotted/sloughed off.

It's an amazingly beautiful game, though I suspect I missed whatever was supposed to be creepy instead of hauntingly beautiful in the background of the forest.
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

well, this episode alone convinced me to pick up the game. So I can play along :-)

a) you're better at this game than I am...I think I died 5 times by the time I beat the 1st boss (most deaths not on boss...dang throwing knives).

b) Looked it up. It's not breaking the tail that drops an item, but beating the boss with no damage taken (including poison damage). I made the extra effort to beat the boss by hitting the tail and then went to check if it was actually a thing :-)

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    It's an amazingly beautiful game, though I suspect I missed whatever was supposed to be creepy instead of hauntingly beautiful in the background of the forest.
    Look again. You can see large centipedes in the underground segments of this area.

Quote Originally Posted by huttj509 View Post
    well, this episode alone convinced me to pick up the game. So I can play along :-)

b) Looked it up. It's not breaking the tail that drops an item, but beating the boss with no damage taken (including poison damage). I made the extra effort to beat the boss by hitting the tail and then went to check if it was actually a thing :-)
    Nice! Very few things are as cool as knowing you inspired someone to buy a good game. Heck yeah!

Cool. I'll be sure to show it off at some point. Maybe once I beat the game, that sounds good right?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

The dialogue sfx are kind of a drag. That's my only complaint about the otherwise lovely aesthetic.

I kinda want the heretic thing to be subverted. But there's surely plenty of good story either way. Speaking of which, I can't wait to meet the knight on the banner image. Now there's a story and a half. (Also, kitty. Kitty!)

Fumbling around with my rudimentary Japanese leads me to speculate that the title is a play on 'peach dragon' or 'peach gong'. Neither of those seem all that fitting, though, so I'm probably mistaken.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    The dialogue sfx are kind of a drag. That's my only complaint about the otherwise lovely aesthetic.

I kinda want the heretic thing to be subverted. But there's surely plenty of good story either way. Speaking of which, I can't wait to meet the knight on the banner image. Now there's a story and a half. (Also, kitty. Kitty!)

Fumbling around with my rudimentary Japanese leads me to speculate that the title is a play on 'peach dragon' or 'peach gong'. Neither of those seem all that fitting, though, so I'm probably mistaken.
    Yeah, I wonder when we'll meet her...

Momodora as a series is called that because the main protagonists of the series are Isadora Doralina and Momo Reinart (if I recall. Always forget Momo's last name...).

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Nuts, someone already started the death counter. Oh well, such is life with overtime.

At first, I was wondering what kind of game this would be like. I was pleasantly surprised once the game started. Definitely a metroidvania style game, which gives several implications about future mechanics.

If you want a game with an amazing tutorial level, look at MegaMan X. It never prompts you by saying a dang thing, you discover every single game mechanic yourself naturally. But yes, the arrows stuck in the wall under the shooty-orb this was an excellent hint without cramming it down your throat.

The first hit you take from the enemy tells us several things about this game. First off, that was quite a chunk of HP gone from one hit from the very first enemy in the game that you ever encounter. Which means combat will never truly be 'trivial'. Every time you encounter a scene, you will want to be on the lookout for environmental clues about how to take down the enemies, because smashing things with your face just isn't going to work. Even if you later pick up armor or some other means of damage mitigation, there is still never going to be a situation in which there is an 'acceptable' hit. Trading hits is going to get you killed. Therefore, focus on agility and not being hit in the first place. You aren't a tank. Which makes sense, considering the heroine of the story.

The obviously too small to get through passage at the elevator also hints at future skills learned in addition to equippable items. It also hints that we'll be revisiting this area again, or what would be the point of such a passage here? There was also a 'warp' option at the first bell, which looks very suspiciously like an ability to warp from bell to bell, giving you further ability to backtrack to areas already visited. Also very metroidvania-esque.

Those little things demonstrate another very important, if subtle, game mechanic. The same enemy has been shown wielding: daggers, poison-pot-things, and shields. Depending on what the unit is equipped with, it requires dramatically different fighting styles to counter. Therefore, we can reasonably anticipate to see the same basic enemy models, with newer and more dangerous toys to keep us on our toes, as we progress throughout the game. There will probably be new enemy models to encounter, but they don't have to make each unique mechanic to deal with a unique monster, it could be a previously encountered monster with a new equip. This is actually a really smart mechanic on the graphics designer's part, because you don't have to create nearly as many models as you otherwise would. Much like the classic color-shift-indicates-tougher models from the old NES days.

That big dude you encountered wasn't a boss, it was just a big dude. This carries several implications throughout the game. Also note he had good loots behind him. So, challenging 'miniboss' has treasure, but is also challenging. Good to know.

The cute spider and the one that told you that it had no business with you also are clear indicators that you'll be doing quite a bit of backtracking.

The imp that showed you the secret behind the wall was likely deliberately done. The way the level was designed, you had plenty of time before you could get there and the way the imps moved made it a virtual guarantee. Still... there is Wall Chicken. Good to know.

Boss fight is a well designed 'first boss' encounter. Boss has several types of attacks which, in and of themselves, are predictable, but not necessarily in a predetermined pattern. She also 'tells' her nastier attacks (gas bomb, gas breath, tail whip) clearly, but the smaller but still nasty attacks are faster and can only hit you if you are 'pushing' her, which makes for a very good balance of abilities to use against you. If you keep your distance, she'll use her powerful 'tell' attacks, up close if you start pushing her, she's got some faster moves to push you back off of her.

Oh, best off, the devs avoided the classic 'panty flash death-scene' trope. For which I am grateful.

I absolutely love the ambiance. It's a perfect strike between 'gloriously beautiful' and 'subtly creepy'. I don't think I've seen background done as well since Symphony of the Night.

In all, this looks like a very wonderful game, and I will enjoy watching you play it.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Nuts, someone already started the death counter. Oh well, such is life with overtime.
    Shneekey! Go ahead and take it over. I just call dibs on deaths in the Zelda games.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

18. - Top - End - #18

It's time to explore Karst City. Lets go!

Zodi Plays: Momodora Reverie Under the Moonlight [2] Lubella

Video Length: 17:37

So, like I said last time, lets talk a bit about the shop before going forward. The shop is a tiny, presumably skeleton girl, who sells us usable or passive items. Her wares change depending on where she is, and I'd highly recommend buying everything she has, even if it's situational. In this, our first shop, we have her selling a Faerie Tear, a Crystal Seed, and the Ring of Candor. I'll talk more about these below the main post, but the Faerie Tear is a passive item that just naturally increases your resistance to status effects, the Crystal Seed is a usable that gives you a nice solid boost to your attack strength, and the Ring of Candor is a passive item that makes a soft "ding" sound when you're in a room with a secret, usually in the form of a hidden path or a wall you have to hit to reveal something.

Karst City is, as you can tell, a snowy city with water ways like Venice. It gives it a really wonderful feel, especially given the fact that everything is broken down or in need of repair due to the curse. This includes the inhabitants, as our new enemies show. The first enemy we see is a Witch, dressed in fine cloths but clearly warped in some way, their face dark. They throw spells at you that you have to dodge, as well as laugh in quite a creepy manner. Other Witches eventually show up that have a different spell, one where they make a pillar of magic appear below you. The two in combination are quite dangerous, but for now they ease us into it. We also have Dogs, weird see through canine monsters who's bodies seem to be...not quite all there. They jump at you and are, as you'd expect, very powerful. Finally, or basic enemies at least, we have the poor dudes in green cloaks. They appear from the shadows trying to claw you with their twisted hands, and if that fails they'll throw orbs at you that explode! Over all, the enemies in this area are quite concerning, especially in large numbers. Between the high damage and the wicked laughter, it's a force to be reckoned with. The weird see through crows don't fill me with confidence either...

As we explore the city we come across a variety of barriers. First a mundane one, a simple locked door that is clearly a sign that we'll be opening short cuts. Second is a magical sort of barrier, which asks us to collect the Karst Crest to open it. This most likely leads to Castle Karst, so lets be sure to remember this place! The third barrier, which I didn't even notice, was a thin wall that gets destroyed later on. We also find some goodies though, a nice floating heart called a Vitality Fragment that increases our health by a small amount. It won't protect us that much, but every little bit counts. We also just straight up find more Bellflowers, two in fact. This increases the amount we have on hand right this second, as well as permanently increasing the max! This is far more useful then the extended life bar, in the grand scheme of things. Finally, in terms of collectables anyway this video, we find the Magnet Stone, a mysterious magnetic stone that'll make collecting Munny a lot easier. Unfortunately, while exploring the building that's in our way, we also find some...crazed people, seemingly maids of the house. My only hope is that we can stop this curse before they all become monsters.

Anyway, we must continue forward. Partway through the city we encounter a boss, and it's a dozy! Moka, a strange little creature with one giant eye that has horns. This guy is a Bakman, silly lesser demons that are kind of like the mettaur or goomba of the series. They're very iconic and cool, and fighting one here is quite interesting. He attacks by letting out a ring of shots that block arrows for awhile before exploding, and summons the strange thwomp like enemies that Bakman tend to throw in the other games, making an AOE like attack. That aside...he's not super dangerous, he's just got a lot of health. The reason for this of course being...he's not the true boss. The ground beneath us explodes and Moka falls into the drink, to reveal the true boss...Lubella, the Witch of Decay.

Lubella is...quite large, and quite powerful. Even with the upgraded health she can quite easily kill you in two hits, and it seems like even now she's holding back. She casts a series of four orbs that quickly smash into the ground and explode as her first attack, and it's a little trickier to dodge than you think. After that she flies away, and causes a stream of orbs to appear in the sky. Once enough show up they all fly at you at once, and you've gotta dodge out of the way! That's...really all she's got right now, but given her warped expression and the fact that she's taking my attacking of her quite well, I imagine she's just toying with us. This is definitely someone we'll have to watch out for in the future. Also as a side note: yes her design is kind of cheesecakey, but she's also capable of crushing you like an ant so I think it evens out.

After defeating Lubella, we find the lady from the opening banner that isn't us! Cath, Knightess of Karst! She isn't too confident in our magical leaf and tells us to get inside for safety. Judging from her huge shield on her back she's quite strong, and I hope we don't have to fight her. Kaho explains her goal to Cath, who simply laughs and says that the Queen likely doesn't care about the concerns of a tiny village...which I mean is fair given the curse stuff going on. Let alone the "rumored" corpse witch flying around causing chaos. Cath also mentions that people are dying in droves daily, the city slowly becoming one giant grave. All Cath has is memories of her sister, Cathryn. I hope she's okay...

After talking with Cath, we move ever onward. Her advice was appreciated but we must head forward. Well, eventually, we've got a split path here and I want to explore it all a little. Down leads us to a flooded out area that I'm going to avoid going to just yet because it seems a little "don't do this right now" just through the virtue that it's a water area. The second path leads to the Magnet Stone mentioned above. The third is progress, and leads us to fight with a heavily armored knight wielding a huge zweihander! Unfortunately my use of the Crystal Seed cuts him down fairly quickly, but you get to see all of his attacks. He swings his sword around, and causes magical swords to appear in the air to dive on you. Overall, a pretty neat miniboss.

More exploring happens, and we encounter a new NPC, a nice butler man who tells us to head further into the church safe zone to meet with his Master, a cat lady (as in a lady with lots of cats). Nice, I'll keep that in mind! I'm also going to take a brief moment to point out that, when Kaho talks to people she jumps back a distance...but it seems like she always jumps back the same amount and direction regardless of who you talk to and where. It's a little weird, I must say. But no matter, we enter the Forlorn Monastery of Saint Esselin, the next area we will be exploring! The nuns in the entrance weave a dark tail...it seems that Queen Karst caused the curse. I wonder if that's true...I'll see you guys next time.

------

Lets talk about the items we got today. First, the Crystal Seed. A mysterious crystal seed, which is quite rare due to the trees that it grows being finicky to actually raise. We consume it for a power boost, the power of crystals! Not much to say, but still quite nice.

The Faerie Tear is a little more interesting, being frozen condensed fey tears. That's pretty morbid! It increases our resistance to status effects while equipped. Not much to say about this one either, but I do think it's interesting to look at. The tears of fairies protect those from harm, how poignant.

Then we have the Magnet Stone, a strange magnetic stone from below ground. It's appearance matches a lot of the demonic ruin like environments of the older Momodora games, perhaps stones like this are what helped cause the curse. A stone of avarice, marble in appearance but stained red.

Finally, the Ring of Candor. A simple gold ring, if you don't now it's secret. I find it amusing that the secret finding ring is itself a secret that must be found, flavor wise. If you don't know it's the Ring of Candor you'll just be very confused about why it rings every time you get close to where you lost your car keys or something.

Oh wait addendum! Forgot to talk about the Astral Charm! It's some kind of lucky charm or talisman, the type you'd expect to see a shrine maiden use. It's old and worn, and gives more money when equipped. Clearly someone has had this for a long time, and it's luck ran out for them. Let's hope it doesn't run out for us.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Munny missed:

Total munny missed:

Did Lubella really need that on-hit jiggle?
    I am even more strongly reminded of Touhou with both parts of that boss fight.
    Ooh, Metroid map!
    Last edited by Qwertystop; 2016-04-18 at 10:40 AM.
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Munny missed:

Total munny missed:

Did Lubella really need that on-hit jiggle?
    I am even more strongly reminded of Touhou with both parts of that boss fight.
    Ooh, Metroid map!
    I don't think it was really needed, no, but I still think it works. She's a MASSIVE thing, attacking her should have some sort of impact, even if it's a tiny little jiggle. It's super cheese-cakey though, yeah.

And yeah, we've got a Metroid style map in this game! It's nice.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Playing this game reminds me that I'm not good at games.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    Shneekey! Go ahead and take it over. I just call dibs on deaths in the Zelda games.
    Seems like Cath has already been keeping a death count, in-game. You should consult them.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    Playing this game reminds me that I'm not good at games.
    The room Zodi encountered with the 2 witches up above, and 2 dogs below with the pit caused me...issues...

Oh, Lubella has a 3rd attack she just decided to not do on camera. Similar to the Witches' second spell, magic smoke shows up beneath you, then 2 orbs fly upwards out of the ground.

I, um, had a few more tries than Zodi in which to see the moveset.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Yea, I was going to comment about what portion was the recipient of the majority of the attacks. Umm... let's just say... well, how about let's not.

At 8:17, did you just reflect a firebomb with your attack? You picked up the magnet stone, dude-man materialized behind you, chucked a firebomb, you attacked... I could swear it reflected back. If so, this makes this particular enemy much easier to deal with.

That magnet stone is going to REALLY cut down on your munny lost.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Yea, I was going to comment about what portion was the recipient of the majority of the attacks. Umm... let's just say... well, how about let's not.

At 8:17, did you just reflect a firebomb with your attack? You picked up the magnet stone, dude-man materialized behind you, chucked a firebomb, you attacked... I could swear it reflected back. If so, this makes this particular enemy much easier to deal with.

That magnet stone is going to REALLY cut down on your munny lost.
    Yeah, you can reflect their bombs. It...does NOT hurt them, I'm pretty sure.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, you can reflect their bombs. It...does NOT hurt them, I'm pretty sure.
    No, but it is a way to not be hit by them. Since those firebombs hurt badly, this is not a bad thing. Also, it satisfies your inner Jedi.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27

NecromancerGuy

It's time to explore Karst City. Lets go!

Zodi Plays: Momodora Reverie Under the Moonlight [2] Lubella

Video Length: 17:37
    Spoiler: Coidzentary
    Show
    Yep. Ghost hounds with droopy ectoplasmic drool and constantly shedding bits out of themselves into smoke and creepy lady ghost witchs with no heads, only glowing eyes underneath their hats.

Definitely some heresy going on up in here.

And Momo is still grey or green or green grey in the pallor cast by the blood moon and its little fragment or younger twin.

Seriously, I think there's a moon and then a mini-moon up above it and to the left...

Hmm. Ominous foreshadowing with the blood raven. Hopefully it doesn't turn out to be a blood magpie and steal all your best loot and artifacts, later claiming them as ancestral relics of its own.

Oh dear, box dogs. Someone was stuffing dogs in boxes before making them into ghosts. Or something.

Ah, that revenge you went to take on the dog you clumsily jumped into rather than taking things methodically makes an important revelation. Witches can't see behind them. So they didn't notice you or react at all...

Same goes for the dogs too it seems.

Ghost dude ambushes you at a lonely candlelit dinner. Obviously he was stood up for dates a few too many times.

Hmm, a creepy figure huddled under a blanket begging for it to stop. Clearly some kind of ghost disease.

What a tough little but lame looking minion creature boss, and he confirms that apparently they're using bodies to make undead or something, not just turning living people into monsters with a shadow plague. Interesting. Or maybe they just want a priestess's body to corrupt to make into something special or be used as exotic spell components. *shrug*

Oh dear. A giant horny witch who you have to smack in the tits. Well, I suppose it was inevitable that I would live to see such a foe in a game eventually.

Arrow'D to the boobs, causing the giant witch to flee!

And now we meet Cath, a seemingly still human Knightess of this godforsaken realm.

XD She tells you about the undead witch after you've smacked her titties around.

Hmm. Cath and Cathryn. I'm guessing she's actually her sister and dead but doesn't know it because she hasn't rotten enough yet to no longer deny her death.

Huh, Kaho already doesn't breathe, eh? Interesting.

Huh, the Jack bomb dudes only appear if you pass them going in a certain direction. Neat that you can bounce their bombs back with your leaf the same way you can deflect some imp knights.

Ohoh! Now you've already got the munny farming equipment of more munny and attract dat munny. Nice!

Someone claiming to not be scared just... chilling out in the ghost haunted house. Well that's ominous.

Oh, hey, almost have made enough munny to have bought out the little skeleton girl's inventory. So that's good.

Too bad that step keeps janking out each time instead of staying activated. It's a nice effect, but going back and forth even a few times within several minutes of one another is lame.

"Don't go outside to stay safe." Clearly faulty information, what with the monsters inside other parts of that same... house/apartment complex/dormitory/thing.

Oh dear. Some kind of Cat Nun may guide you to the castle..

And the Queen apparently did something to encourage apostasy. Woo! That's extra heretical!

I don't see this bakman stained glass window, though... Just people in robes. Or did you mean one of the miters looked like an eye ball?

I'm surprised you don't just charge up your bow to shoot any of the monstahs in the back.

And now you has cleared out the shopkeep's inventory! WOO! Second video and already an inventory emptied.

And the backtracking for secrets item loadout has been acquired, or half of it at least. So that's good for backtrackery!

Unfortunately, while exploring the building that's in our way, we also find some...crazed people, seemingly maids of the house. My only hope is that we can stop this curse before they all become monsters.
    I hadn't stopped to consider that various places where NPCs were found would become monster nests as you progressed in the game.

That would be in keeping with a dark soulsy metroidvania, though. Huh, you know, I forgot to double check if that figure hiding underneath the blanket was still there when you backtracked through that area...

Anyway, we must continue forward. Partway through the city we encounter a boss, and it's a dozy! Moka, a strange little creature with one giant eye that has horns. This guy is a Bakman, silly lesser demons that are kind of like the mettaur or goomba of the series. They're very iconic and cool, and fighting one here is quite interesting. He attacks by letting out a ring of shots that block arrows for awhile before exploding, and summons the strange thwomp like enemies that Bakman tend to throw in the other games, making an AOE like attack. That aside...he's not super dangerous, he's just got a lot of health. The reason for this of course being...he's not the true boss. The ground beneath us explodes and Moka falls into the drink, to reveal the true boss...Lubella, the Witch of Decay.
    Ahh, in the chaos and the text, I couldn't quite figure out what had happened to that dude. He fell into that water over to the left of where you land, eh? I guess you're gonna have to go under da sea to kick his little one-eyed butt, eventually?

Also as a side note: yes her design is kind of cheesecakey, but she's also capable of crushing you like an ant so I think it evens out.
    I'm not sure how that's either here or there.

After defeating Lubella, we find the lady from the opening banner that isn't us!

Judging from her huge shield on her back she's quite strong, and I hope we don't have to fight her.
    ...I have got to start paying more attention to things. Or adjust my screen angle or something.

More exploring happens, and we encounter a new NPC, a nice butler man who tells us to head further into the church safe zone to meet with his Master, a cat lady (as in a lady with lots of cats). Nice, I'll keep that in mind! I'm also going to take a brief moment to point out that, when Kaho talks to people she jumps back a distance...but it seems like she always jumps back the same amount and direction regardless of who you talk to and where. It's a little weird, I must say. But no matter, we enter the Forlorn Monastery of Saint Esselin, the next area we will be exploring! The nuns in the entrance weave a dark tail...it seems that Queen Karst caused the curse. I wonder if that's true...I'll see you guys next time.
    Between that and taking damage just from touching certain things, I'm going to hazard a guess that Kaho don't like being touched much.

*tale. We haven't seen any cats yet, after all.

The Faerie Tear is a little more interesting, being frozen condensed fey tears. That's pretty morbid! It increases our resistance to status effects while equipped. Not much to say about this one either, but I do think it's interesting to look at. The tears of fairies protect those from harm, how poignant.
    Well have you ever tried to make a fairy cry? That's some hard work even for a professional!

Then we have the Magnet Stone, a strange magnetic stone from below ground. It's appearance matches a lot of the demonic ruin like environments of the older Momodora games, perhaps stones like this are what helped cause the curse. A stone of avarice, marble in appearance but stained red.
    Or it's just a lodestone. Though why they'd be making their munny out of steel or iron, I don't know, this can't be anywhere near Krynn.

Oh wait addendum! Forgot to talk about the Astral Charm! It's some kind of lucky charm or talisman, the type you'd expect to see a shrine maiden use. It's old and worn, and gives more money when equipped. Clearly someone has had this for a long time, and it's luck ran out for them. Let's hope it doesn't run out for us.
    Just make sure you don't have your money-harvesting loadout equipped when you need your fighting gear out!
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2016-04-18 at 09:48 PM.
    Homebrew

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

I spent a lot more time dying to ordinary opponents than to Lubella, who I only died to the first time because I entered her room by accident on my way back to the save point.

Spoiler alert: this normal-to-boss death ratio did not last.

29. - Top - End - #29

Let's explore that monastery, shall we?

Zodi Plays: Momodora Reverie Under the Moonlight [3] Cotillard

Video Length: 13:03

Hello and welcome back. As said, we're going to be exploring the Forlorn Monastery. A pretty cool looking area if I must say. Starting us off right away we encounter a new enemy, the ghost skull! It causes quite a bit of damage if it touches you, and if you don't die you may also get Cursed. Cursed is a status effect that, blessedly, only lasts awhile and just removes your ability to use items (both active AND passive). As such, not that big of a deal, but still significant in the right situations. When you kill it it explodes, causing damage and curse as well. So you've gotta be careful! Other than that the enemies are all stuff we've seen in Karst City, just put into different combinations. It's pretty nice honestly, the build up of enemies. There is one new enemy though, some sort of dark skeleton cleric that sends out a gout of flames that eventually falls back from the top of the screen and is quite hard to dodge. He appears to be a unique enemy, and killing him gets us the Tainted Missive, a very important item. It comes with two uses and takes off a quarter of your life to increase your damage briefly by 100%. We also encounter those cube enemies that Moka was throwing at us but they're one time thwomps and thus are more of an obstacle than an enemy, really.

Something I find fairly interesting is that...the game's actually quite open. It may seem like we have to go here, but we could easily return to where we met Cath and go down that water path. Additionally, just inside the Monastery, we have a looong ladder that leads us down to a new area called the Cinder Chambers. We'll be delving more into this laaater, because it looks a little too scary for my tastes. It's clearly got the aesthetic of the Monastery though, just...burnt and nasty. Oh dear.

So, the Forlorn Monastery is really divided into two floors, accessed by that elevator in the first real room of it. The top floor has more of the fine stainglass windows and stuff, while the bottom floor is clearly more of the "back room" stuff, it's basically a fancy religious office room. We do see some backroom stuff on the top floor though, like that big picture of...someone. A lady with black hair wearing priestly garb. We know it's not Saint Esselin since they said he's a dude, but that just makes me wonder who she could be. Maybe the Queen? Anyway, we also see that this game subscribes to at least one video game trope. Red explosive barrels! Though in this case the red is just a warning label, which is reasonable. I imagine, judging from the Cinder Chambers, that having these out willy nilly is not the standard. But the curse happened and I doubt anyone's all that concerned about regulations. Another thing is...there are spikes in some of these areas, and they're a LITTLE hard to see. Considering they're either one shot kill, or do tons of damage, that's a little poor design wise. Normally the spikes would be easy to see, but in a dark area like the Forlorn Monastery they become quite the devious, and annoying, trap.

The top floor's got a locked door, so that means we've gotta go to the bottom floor. This area is a lot more action-y, I think, compared to the top floor. Just feels that way. It's got a nice garden area infested with dogs, yet still looking quite beautiful. I'll be honest I just love every area in this game, the art design is so good. After a very silly "run Kaho run!" segment we also find the shopkeeper girl once more! This time she has only the Faerie Tear to sell us, and we've already bought it so...yeah. Still, I appreciate the attempt small skeleton child. More importantly however is we finally find the cat loving Master of that butler, Cotillard!

So, Cottilard. She tells us quite a lot. Both in actual dialogue, and in her actions and presentation. First she tells us that her butler's name is Paramol...and seems to laugh at that. She explains that yes, the Queen is responsible for it, for everything. She's become possessed by a malevolent greed. Cotillard then...closes and reopens her eyes, and they're glowing red with a black outline, like Lubella's, and like other monsters we've seen. This...actually quite frightens me as I DIDN'T NOTICE until I was EDITING. Judging from her desire to help us it's clear she's...if not on our side, at least willing to work with us. But I'm not sure I trust her, or her butler. What kind of "human" name is Paramol, anyway? We also learn it's been JUST A YEAR since all this started. Wow. I also have a theory of my own, regarding the "this place has been forbidden by the nobility". I think Cotillard means her "study", where she's been locked up by magic. But who knows, we'll have to wait and see. With the key she gave us, we can proceed on the top floor. First some more exploring though, where we find a...very confused door, a Vitality Fragment, and another stupid death.

Behind the locked door, we head further into the Convent of the Forlorn Monastery. We get another poor silly Kaho dead due to Zodi panicking a little, and quite a challenging moving spike area to get through. All in all this feels like the "final test" of the Forlorn Monastery. And what do we find at the end of our final test but a boss. We won't be covering this boss today because...I mean look at her she's intense. So yeah, that's our video for today. Hope you enjoyed, I'll see you guys next time for when we actually get up the courage to fight Pardoner Fennel.

------

It's time for some lore! Only two real discoveries today, but I think they're quite good.

The Tainted Missive, a letter between high ranking members of the clergy of Saint Esselin. Though they preach forgiveness, their innermost thoughts are dark and twisted. I doubt everyone is as nasty as this missive suggests, especially seeing as how we looted it from a deranged monster skeleton clergyman. Still, it's food for thought, how those in power slowly get corrupted by said power. A tainted missive that empowers but also weakens us. Fitting, no?

The second thing we found today is the Monastery Key. This one isn't majorly important, but it's got some good information. It mentions the Queen's dark sorcery, likely the cause of all this. Uncontrollable but caused. The Forlorn Monastery and it's convent are abandoned, only the very most front of it a safe haven for those that still live. A tragic life indeed.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Munny missed:
    4, plus an unknown quantity with the thwomp run - they fell off too quickly, and I don't know how many there were between the overlapping and the text. Sure, some of them got pulled by the magnet, but maybe not all - I can't tell. Same for the run back. If anyone else knows the number?

Total: 36+?(whatever was missed in two of the thwomp run)
    My Homebrew