New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Buying Furniture

Alright, so, usually in a tabletop game, furniture and food and hotel rooms are all incredibly cheap. I think I've seen the most expensive lifestyle in a game add up to just over 100,000 gold for an entire year, and that's for an emperor. However, my current DM is building an even more extravagant society, where there is a city with streets literally paved with gold and you can get a furniture set that actually costs 1 million gold (baby dragon leather). Our group is living in this city, and my character is setting up a shop with some luxury accommodations. However, we only have 2 million gold to spend, so we need to find a midpoint between high luxury and what is actually set out in the rules of the game. I'm thinking something of a "quaint" environment.

So, to avoid a situation where we have to sit down and brainstorm materials and furniture items before diving into the game (he only has the high luxury items figured out, instead of the mid luxury), I was thinking of crowd sourcing it to you guys. What kinds of crazy & rare furniture could we come up with? Pillows stuffed with angel feathers? Bandersnatch fur rugs? Tables carved from a single block of Quartz?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Buying Furniture

A table made from the wood of some sort of rare, exotic tree. It is intricately carved with scenes of war and feasting. The edges are decorated with opals and diamonds which are enchanted to glow slightly

A bed stuffed with phoniex feathers, and the sheets are woven from sidhe hair
    Last edited by falcon1; 2016-04-19 at 04:02 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3

WolfInSheepsClothing

A bed made from enchanted clouds, like sleeping on air.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Why be Evil when you can be Lawful?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

What about statues made by the finest Cockatrice "sculptors?" The detail is very lifelike, and they are the best at capturing the look of terror someone experiences right before death. The only expense is finding and catching a Cockatrice in the beginning and then the only challenge is finding "volunteers" to "inspire" the Cockatrice.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

d6 Re: Buying Furniture

Not crazy but definitely rare table made from volcanic glass. I want I'm at a holy symbol made from that cut cut completely round. If you really wanted to be something special make it a one piece thing
    9 wisdom true neutral cleric you know you want me in your adventuring party

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

What about magic stuff?

-How about a table with no legs. It just floats in the air. The height and angle are adjustable.

-Chair with no legs. Same deal.

-Desk with drawers of holding.

-Pocket sized paperback book has implausibly high number of pages

-Shelf casts shrink item on stuff placed on it. It unshrinks when you pick it back up.

Also, some currency ideas:

-higher value coins than the platinum piece, worth 100 and 1000 gp. Physically they're HD Rosettas printed on Mithril and backed by the combination of the value of the mithril plus the precision of their manufacture plus the information recorded thereon.

-Magic scrolls used like paper currency

EDIT:
    Also,
    -Unicorn and pegasus glue
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2016-04-19 at 09:04 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

d20 Re: Buying Furniture

Tables made from mahogany from the planet of Malchior-7! Where the trees grow 300 ft. tall and breath fire!

(Also, if I remember correctly, the moon orbiting Faerūn is described as such in the Realmspace supplement for SPELLJAMMER®.)

EDIT: With 2 million dollars gold pieces do you have any idea how much Dijon ketchup you can buy?!
    Last edited by Āmesang; 2016-04-19 at 11:12 PM.
    3e5e : Quintessa's Dweomerdrain (Drain power from a magic item to fuel your spells)
    3e │ 5e : Quintessa's Dweomershield (Protect target from the full effects of a magic item)
    3e │ 5e : Hordling Generator (Edit "cr=" in the address bar to adjust the Challenge Rating)
    3e │ 5e : Battle Sorcerer Tables (For Unearthed Arcana)

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by falcon1 View Post
    A table made from the wood of some sort of rare, exotic tree. It is intricately carved with scenes of war and feasting. The edges are decorated with opals and diamonds which are enchanted to glow slightly

A bed stuffed with phoniex feathers, and the sheets are woven from sidhe hair
    You know, I always imagine Phoenix feathers as being on fire perpetually. Like an everburning torch. That bed would be kind on warm.

Also, I like the rare tree idea, but what would be a good, rare tree?

Quote Originally Posted by MrZJunior View Post
    A bed made from enchanted clouds, like sleeping on air.
    Hmmm, I could do that with some type of permancied wind wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Noje View Post
    What about statues made by the finest Cockatrice "sculptors?" The detail is very lifelike, and they are the best at capturing the look of terror someone experiences right before death. The only expense is finding and catching a Cockatrice in the beginning and then the only challenge is finding "volunteers" to "inspire" the Cockatrice.
    Beautiful, but my character is chaotic good.

Quote Originally Posted by denthor View Post
    Not crazy but definitely rare table made from volcanic glass. I want I'm at a holy symbol made from that cut cut completely round. If you really wanted to be something special make it a one piece thing
    I like the idea of an obsidian glass table. Would just have to be careful, because volcanic glass can be very naturally sharp and hard. Rounded edges would be a must.

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    What about magic stuff?

-How about a table with no legs. It just floats in the air. The height and angle are adjustable.

-Chair with no legs. Same deal.

-Desk with drawers of holding.

-Pocket sized paperback book has implausibly high number of pages

-Shelf casts shrink item on stuff placed on it. It unshrinks when you pick it back up.

Also, some currency ideas:

-higher value coins than the platinum piece, worth 100 and 1000 gp. Physically they're HD Rosettas printed on Mithril and backed by the combination of the value of the mithril plus the precision of their manufacture plus the information recorded thereon.

-Magic scrolls used like paper currency

EDIT:
    Also,
    -Unicorn and pegasus glue
    Everything is great, minus the Unicorn and Pegasus glue. My guy worships Lurue and has a pet Unicorn.

Also, I will offer the money ideas to my DM tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Āmesang View Post
    Tables made from mahogany from the planet of Malchior-7! Where the trees grow 300 ft. tall and breath fire!

(Also, if I remember correctly, the moon orbiting Faerūn is described as such in the Realmspace supplement for SPELLJAMMER®.)

EDIT: With 2 million dollars gold pieces do you have any idea how much Dijon ketchup you can buy?!
    (I think the ketchup thing is a reference to something but I don't know what. I could potentially build a fort purely out of Dijon ketchup bottles, yes.)

SILENCE!!!

. . .

mohagony

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Āmesang View Post

Oh! Moon rocks! Stuff could be made of moon rocks!

ALSO. Mid-level luxury was mentioned earlier; this is more for the villains than the PCs, but how about thrones made from the bones other than the skull? Like they make the chairs out of skulls and the other leftover bones they make into other cheaper chairs.

ALSO. Stuff made out of materials that were fished out of the gods' garbage.

ALSO. Elfin plants that grow into chairs. Just plant it and in a year or so it grows into an ornate throne

EDIT:
    Also,

Self-shelving books and/or a telekinetic self-stocking bookshelf
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2016-04-20 at 01:17 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

- A magic waterbed, without the pesky plastic and fabrics getting in the way. Like a swimming pool, but nicer to sleep in and no chance of drowning.

Also, make it bigger by adjusting the frame and adding more water.

Quote Originally Posted by Rith View Post
    You know, I always imagine Phoenix feathers as being on fire perpetually. Like an everburning torch. That bed would be kind on warm.
    - Similar to electric beds, except no electricity required!

- Everburning fireplaces and chandeliers would also make good use of phoenix feathers

I'm trying to think of furniture that actually makes good use of magical or otherwise fantastic materials, instead of "this bed is like a normal bed but QUARTZ!!!".

Does it work on people? If I got this I'll keep bugging my friends to sit on it.
    Last edited by goto124; 2016-04-20 at 08:35 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11

-Fabrics made from habafrobzipulops (the hemp of the gods in SubGenius mythology)

-An actual ivory (or at least some kind of shaped dentin) tower

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

A couch that automatically (and discreetly) empties the stomach of whoever lies on it, enabling them to eat forever. Several speed settings are available. Adequate systems, discreetly implemented, cost extra.
    Spoiler: Collectible nice things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Faily View Post
    Read ExLibrisMortis' post...

WHY IS THERE NO LIKE BUTTON?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Libris: look at your allowed sources. I don't think any of your options were from those.
    My incarnate/crusader. A self-healing crowd-control melee build (ECL 8).
    My Ruby Knight Vindicator barsader. A party-buffing melee build (ECL 14).
    Doctor Despair's and my all-natural approach to necromancy.

13. - Top - End - #13

WolfInSheepsClothing

A miniature banzai forest with tiny owl bears, deer, shambling mounds, and other flora and fauna on a miniature scale.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Various objects that let you move up and down floors without actually having to use stairs, ladders, etc. could work. Extravagant ropes with loops you stand in at the bottom that coil up and down, columns of thick fog that let you slowly fall down arbitrarily far, floating platforms that serve as elevators, etc.

Another option would be to emphasize the craft. Everything is made of very good, but conventional materials. Also every wood surface is carved extremely intricately by a master at the height of their craft, all fabric is basically an extremely well made tapestry tailored to whatever the fabric is for, etc. Picture someone today using part of the Bayeux tapestry as bed sheets, and you get the idea.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

15. - Top - End - #15

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MrZJunior View Post
    A miniature banzai forest with tiny owl bears, deer, shambling mounds, and other flora and fauna on a miniature scale.
    That's either a blatant misspelling of the word "bonsai" or pure evil genius. Also, tiny, tiny heroes. Which may or may not be random strangers kidnapped off the street and shrunk by an evil wizard.

Quote Originally Posted by Rith View Post
    Also, I like the rare tree idea, but what would be a good, rare tree?
    Dryad oaks.
    Last edited by Berenger; 2016-04-20 at 04:13 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16

-Animated furniture

-Sentient furniture

--Specific item:
    Nomnom: NG Intelligent Table of Feasting (Stronghold Builder's Guidebook p.84; Heroes' Feast 3/day) Int 19 Wis 10 Cha 19; Lesser Powers: Prestidigitation continuously, Create Water at will, item has 10 ranks in Diplomacy, Item has 10 ranks in Profession(Cook); Greater Powers: Clairvoyance 3/day, Heat Metal 3/day, Dance of the Unicorn (SC) 1/day; Special Purpose: Provide excellent dining experiences; Special Purpose Power Animate Objects (Self or touched objects only)

Price= 43200+15000+2700+3600+5000+5000+16000+11000+10000+ 81000=191500 gp

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Berenger View Post
    Dryad oaks.
    Or a treant

EDIT:
    -Shelves and tables enchanted to keep stuff placed on them from falling off or tipping over

-Tables (etc) made of solid amethyst or other semi-precious gems (or perhaps several different types of precious and semi-precious stones mushed into a single continuous unit with Stone Shape

-Entire scaled down mansions for wizardss familiars

-Stuff (maybe furniture, maybe clothes, maybe other) made out of liquids or gases enchanted to keep their shapes

-Items made of compressed saffron

EDIT:
    -Animated pens that take dictation (probably can be treated as use activated amanuensis)

-Animated pens that also copy entire books (amanuensis + Scholar's touch would be prereqs for creation)

-The most opulently expensive thing you could make something out of in the real world would probably be weapons grade plutonium

-Torchy: N intelligent Everburning Torch; Int 12 Wis 14 Cha 10; Speech, 120 ft. vision, 60 foot darkvision, and hearing; Lesser Powers: Item has 10 ranks in Spot, Dancing Lights at will, Deathwatch continually

Price=110gp+4250+5000+2700+3600=15660gp
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2016-04-20 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Corrected intelligent table's name from "Nonnom" to "Nomnom"

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by falcon1 View Post
    This object menaces with spikes of giant cave spider chitin. It is decorated with an image of a wizard and a monk in cave lizard bone. The wizard is striking down the monk.
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2016-04-20 at 06:08 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

-Shelves and tables enchanted to keep stuff placed on them from falling off or tipping over
    In connection with this, a spiral shaped desk; It's like one of those desks that curves around (example), but the steep spiral shape allows it to go around more than 360 degrees (without any space warping shenanigans) and the anti-toppling enchantment prevents everything from falling over/rolling off due to it's steep slope. Some kind of adjustable height chair is required to go with it so that the user can reach all heights and tiers of the desk

EDIT:
    A quilt made out of items shrunk using the "clothlike composition" version of Shrink Item
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2016-04-20 at 06:41 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

You want to find the wizard/furniture maker who has researched spells for absolute comfort and luxury.

You never actually touch the bed, it has a permanent Levitate spell that operates on whatever is above it.

An "Endure Elements" kind of spell that keeps you at a perfect temperature.

A permanent illusion spell on the wall that can provide entertainment (a bard's story? a play?) on command.

A chair for guests that automatically reads their thoughts for you.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

For some more "Mid-Luxury" type ideas

Bedclothes made from wild dropped or wild shorn wool of rare creatures like Qiviut or Vicuna for real world examples

Trained wood furniture. In the real world it is normally done with fast growing softwoods but in yours oaks and mahogany would be something to see.

use spun sugar as a visual base for spun glass and crystal materials for "everburning torches" or the sand to glass sculptures created by the artisan's pet behir

Odd silks. Sure spider is a good one but so are moths that have dazling effect like the Tenebrous worm, Luna Moth etc

Use Roper glue instead of Unicorn

Extraplanar normal stuff. Green veined basalt from the first layer of Hell? Well it makes good counter-tops and anybody who is anybody in that town knows that its fire resistant properties are great in the kitchen and bread rolled out on it always has that extra "zing" Or the Wood from trees only found in the Beastlands. Sure Celestial Silver is normally no different than regular silver on a numbers basis (grants no bonuses without magic) but it blue cast marks your tableware as special.

Objects with Animate Object or Invisible Hands enchanted into them so they do their job on command.

A rag enchanted with Invisibility, Animate Object, and the Prestidigitation of Clean and/or Mend

The use of a permanent Major Image as art

The use of consumables like incense, cosmetics, perfumed hair wax cones, etc where you have to buy it again soon as you use it up. And things like incense resins can be fabulously expensive (even in the real world) coming from bugs, desert trees, dragon blood trees, etc. And you could go more fantastic than our world with Ki-Rin droppings, Trees of mastic that only grow from the graves of Janni, Siren Spit, Satyr Sweat, Nymph Hair, or Crushed Undead (vampire blood based cosmetic solutions! Keep those wrinkles away forever! At the local alchemist near you!),

Also things that have a fixed natural supply could become very expensive as in this city the number of people who could buy it at the normal price would be very high (increasing demand) but the supply is still fixed. Thus the cost will rise. And it no has more status attached to it if there is competition for something. Where having the connections to be able to buy items that never make it to the open market would be a stronger showing of power than mere price. So pearls that are not really much more beautiful than normal but are recognizable as coming from a specific place (requiring a specific water and oyster species combo for example) that can only produce so many a year (and are not reproducible) could have a price far far beyond what the objects themselves would elicit.

21. - Top - End - #21

-Self-repairing fabrics (creation prerequisite: mending or make whole)

-Even more self repairing books; you can rip 'em to pieces and if you mush the pieces together they'll be fine (prereqs mending, amanuensis, and secret page)

-Barbecue grill fueled by actual pieces of the sun (I stole this one from an episode of Aqua Teen Hunger Force)

EDIT:

-Oil lamps with unlimited fuel
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2016-04-20 at 09:09 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Floating/flying chairs that take you everywhere. Why get up from your mighty throne?

Upside-down tables, chairs, fireplaces, chandeliers, trophies, you name it. Reverse gravity for the whole home!

Animated paintings you can even talk to. What, Harry Potter had that stuff.

Also, tiny, tiny heroes. Which may or may not be random strangers kidnapped off the street and shrunk by an evil wizard.
    New campaign idea
    Last edited by goto124; 2016-04-21 at 07:45 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23

WolfInSheepsClothing

That's either a blatant misspelling of the word "bonsai" or pure evil genius.
    I blame auto correct! Though the idea of a guard bonsai has some potential.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

What about magic stuff?

This reminds me of a coffee table that Nicola Tesla supposedly owned-- it was an iron slab which between large metal pegs, the slab was levitated by means of an electromagnet. I almost don't care if it was real, that's the coolest table I've ever heard of!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    This reminds me of a coffee table that Nicola Tesla supposedly owned-- it was an iron slab which between large metal pegs, the slab was levitated by means of an electromagnet. I almost don't care if it was real, that's the coolest table I've ever heard of!
    Speaking of magnets, magnetic materials in general are likely to be pretty exotic, and it doesn't take that much sophistication for annular magnetic designs. Bottom magnet, center post, annular magnet floats above it. Maybe you have more than one of them, even. There's a lot of flexibility with magnetic furniture. Electromagnets are even more exotic. For instance:

Floating bed: A whole bunch of magnets are attached with thin wires to a repulsive magnet at the bottom and each other, with some slack. Bedding is then lain on top of this, and it functions much like a water bed.

Rising stairs: A bunch of magnetized steps are supported by a central pole, which passes through an electromagnetic plate. A command word electrifies the bottom plate, which repulses each step up to its maximum extent, forming a stair case. The entire apparatus could even be made to rotate, so that you have what is normally a flat platform in the middle of a room, but which can rise into a number of different stair cases connecting different landings.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

26. - Top - End - #26

d20 Re: Buying Furniture

Oh! Moon rocks! Stuff could be made of moon rocks!
    True; although what I meant was that Faerūn's moon's population is utterly decadent. It's not good if it's not good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    I have a book about Tesla's patents. Patents… or spellbook?
    3e5e : Quintessa's Dweomerdrain (Drain power from a magic item to fuel your spells)
    3e │ 5e : Quintessa's Dweomershield (Protect target from the full effects of a magic item)
    3e │ 5e : Hordling Generator (Edit "cr=" in the address bar to adjust the Challenge Rating)
    3e │ 5e : Battle Sorcerer Tables (For Unearthed Arcana)

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

Dragonfire-sculpted glass, opal, obsidian or steel
    Solidified air
    Stabilized shadowstuff
    still-living wood
    high artisanship (not necesarily barroque and loaded, but also in a minimalist or transitory sense (wabi sabi) or in being very delicate)
    weathered obdurium/adamantine block/boulder
    opal filigree
    gemstone marquetry
    living creatures as furniture
    Shapesand crafted out of gold/gemstone dust
    glass so clear it is invisible but for its internal scintilations

Seren pulp books

diamond-fueled fireplace

a hyperdimentional object d'art

adamantine or mithral or platinum or glassteel thread cloth
    Last edited by Gildedragon; 2016-04-21 at 03:40 PM.
    Handbook in Process:Getting the Facts Straight: A Guide to the Factotum

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Singular Band: There can be only one
    Khayal: A monster class worth playing

Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    Player: I'll use a classic ploy. "Help! Guards! He's having a seizure!"
    DM: You're the only one in the prison.
    Player: I'm very convincing.
    DM: And there are no guards.
    Player: But there's masonry.
    DM: It's not even animate, let alone sentient.
    Player: That's ok. I'll take the penalty.

28. - Top - End - #28

-Furniture with no craftsman. These pieces are part 0f an ontological paradox/stable time loop. Technically these are rented; they'll need to be teturned to the facility some time in the future so that they can send them to you in the past. They may also be made of a material that doesn't occur anywhere.

-Stuff made of the shed skins of nagas

-Device similar to Instant Fortress, but it turns into a fancy house instead of a fort

EDIT:

-Bricks made from mud from the paraelemental plane of mud and ooze and/or clay from the elemental plane of earth.
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2016-04-21 at 04:49 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Scanning through the thread, I saw posts about furniture that's self-repairing, so how 'bout a house that's self-cleaning? Unless you want to show off your wealth by hiring a top-notch housekeeping staff.

Also how 'bout a fountain in the opening foyer of your elegant mansion? Not only is it a piece of furniture that serves no purpose but to make you look rich, but if it were enchanted with Bless Water it might actually be useful if there's a zombie attack or some jerk invited a vampire to your dinner party.

30. - Top - End - #30

Yes! Self-cleaning everything

Also. Objects enchanted to be weightless so they just hang wherever you let go of them at. (See 1001 Cheap Magic Items)

Also. Shoes, cookies, and toys imported from Arvandor

Also. Cows genetically engineered/magically altered to be sofa shaped so you can have a living leather sofa

Also. Rope and wigs made from the hair of titans and demigods. (edit: also from hair shaved from unicorn tails)

Also. One of those over-engineered Japanese toilets

EDIT:
    Also. Walls made of magically hardened butterfly wings

EDIT:
    Also. Griffin feather pillows
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2016-04-21 at 08:00 PM.