New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Recombinant Ranger Companions w/ Wild Magic Twists

Hello folks!

I'm planning for my next campaign, set in an ancient elven forest. One of the set-pieces is a ruin of a base for rangers, where they were centralized for protection of the forest. According to the backstory, the magical wards protecting the elven realm were corrupted and broken, and the ranger station is one of the nodes of those wards, so strange magic permeates the place.

I've decided to have some fun based on the PHB rules and create some interesting and unique monsters in the meantime. The idea is that when the rangers disbanded, a number of pets were left behind, in their enclosures or in the surrounding area. The magic of the corrupted node created mix-and-match versions of all the Beastmaster companion animals and gave them strange magical abilities.

I'm going to roll on these tables I made, and make the animals that result. Anyone is welcome to contribute by recommending combos they roll or pick out for me to make, or by making any combos that they want.

I'm looking to make several different creatures with a variety of CRs, so I'll have the monsters I need for different types of fights. I'll probably be averaging each combo's two sizes and CRs for a baseline, and then altering them as needed.

Spoiler: Animals (roll on this table twice for a mix and match companion)
    Show

1d20+1d12 Animal, Size, CR
    2 Cat, T, 0
    3 Bat, T, 0
    4 Deer, M, 0
    5 Baboon, S, 0
    6 Giant Centipede, S, 1/4
    7 Giant Crab, 1/8
    8 Flying Snake, T, 1/8
    9 Vulture, M, 0
    10 Pony, M, 1/8
    11 Blood Hawk, S, 1/8
    12 Owl, T, 0
    13 Wolf, M, 1/4
    14 Panther, M, 1/4
    15 Boar, M, 1/4
    16 Giant Frog, M, 1/4
    17 Giant Poisonous Snake, M, 1/4
    18 Giant Badger, M, 1/4
    19 Mastiff, M, 1/8
    20 Eagle, S, 0
    21 Giant Wolf Spider, M, 1/4
    22 Raven, S, 0
    23 Giant Rat, S, 1/8
    24 Goat, M, 0
    25 Hawk, T, 0
    26 Hyena, M, 0
    27 Jackal, S, 0
    28 Mule, M, 1/8
    29 Scorpion, T, 0
    30 Giant Weasel, M, 1/8
    31 Giant Fire Beetle, S, 0
    32 Lizard, T, 0

Spoiler: Magic (roll on this table once for a magical ability)
    Show

1d20+1d12 Magical ability
    2 Beastwere (can shift to a humanoid form, but beast form is natural)
    3 Intelligence and communication abilities of a humanoid
    4 Control of the environment in some way (e.g. entangle at-will)
    5 Read minds/sense danger (e.g. disadvantage to hit)
    6 Increase size category by two (e.g. HUGE-SIZE VULTURES-WOLVES!!1!)
    7 Sonic blast
    8 Glow and radiant or fire damage
    9 Darkness Aura
    10 Extra eyes/heightened senses (e.g. advantage on Perception)
    11 Frightful Presence/Fear Aura
    12 Extendable body parts (e.g. 15ft sabrelike talons)
    13 Increase size category by one
    14 Breath weapon (e.g. Recharge 5-6 15ft cone lightning)
    15 Teleportation
    16 Roll a third animal on the animal table, add it to the combo
    17 Chameleon camouflage
    18 Blindsight
    19 Regeneration
    20 Projectile spines, claws, teeth, feathers, etc.
    21 Decrease size category by one
    22 Psionics (e.g. all attacks are psionic damage, mind thrust)
    23 Elemental skin
    24 Baldness
    25 Magical shielding
    26 Fog Cloud/Stench/Fetid Cloud
    27 Strange color (e.g. all fur a single shade of bright blue)
    28 Decrease size category by two (e.g. TINY-SIZE POISONOUS PANTHER-SNAKE!!1! SWARM!!!!~!~!)
    29 Lasso things with body
    30 Phase through solid things
    31 Speaks cryptic predictions of the future it can't understand
    32 Roll twice on this table, ignoring opposite effects and this result on subsequent rolls

Spoiler: Useful
    Show

[size=3][b]Big Slobbering Baddie[/b][/size]
    [i]Large beast, unaligned[/i][HR][/HR][b]Armor Class[/b] X [i](natural armor)[/i]
    [b]Hit Points[/b] X (3d8+Y)
    [b]Speed[/b] 40 ft[HR][/HR][table="width: 500"]
    [tr]
    [td="align:center"][B]Str[/B][/td]
    [td="align:center"][B]Dex[/B][/td]
    [td="align:center"][B]Con[/B][/td]
    [td="align:center"][B]Int[/B][/td]
    [td="align:center"][B]Wis[/B][/td]
    [td="align:center"][B]Cha[/B][/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td="align:center"]10 (+0)[/td]
    [td="align:center"]25 (+7)[/td]
    [/tr]
    [/table][HR][/HR][b]Skills[/b] Stealth +2, Intimidation +9
    [b]Senses[/b] Darkvision 60 ft, passive Perception 12
    [b]Languages[/b] Creepy Whispers
    [b]Challenge[/b] 1 (200 XP)

credit to: Steel Mirror of "The 5E DIY Dungeon Mastery Challenge #1: Make a Monster"
    Last edited by WMO?; 2016-04-25 at 02:58 PM.
    GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.
    DEGENERATION 90: Copy this into your sig and subtract 1 from the degeneration when you first see it. antisocial experiment.
    78% of all DM's start their first campaign in a tavern. If you're among the 22% who didn't, copy and paste this into your signature and tell us where you DID begin.
    A census office. Quest: convince the workers that 32.21% of statistics are made up.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Recombinant Ranger Companions w/ Wild Magic Twists

Reserved for Index
    GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.
    DEGENERATION 90: Copy this into your sig and subtract 1 from the degeneration when you first see it. antisocial experiment.
    78% of all DM's start their first campaign in a tavern. If you're among the 22% who didn't, copy and paste this into your signature and tell us where you DID begin.
    A census office. Quest: convince the workers that 32.21% of statistics are made up.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Monster Descriptions and Stat Blocks

Bald Boar-Hawk
    Small beast, unaligned
    Armor Class 13 (natural armor)
    Hit Points 35 (10d6)
    Speed 30 ft., fly 60 ft.
    Str Dex Con Int Wis Cha
    12 (+1) 14 (+2) 10 (+0) 2 (-4) 11 (+0) 6 (-2)

Skills Perception +2
    Senses passive Perception 12
    Languages -
    Challenge 1/2 (100 XP)
    Flyby. The boar-hawk doesn't provoke an opportunity attack when it flies out of an enemy's reach.
    Charge. If the boar-hawk moves at least 30 feet straight toward a target and then hits it with a tusk attack on the same turn, the target takes an extra 3 (1d6) slashing damage. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 11 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone.
    Relentless (Recharges after a Short or Long Rest). If the boar-hawk takes 7 damage or less that would reduce it to 0 hit points, it is reduced to 1 hit point instead.
    Actions
    Multiattack. The boar-hawk makes three attacks: one with its tusks and two with its talons.
    Tusk. Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit , reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 4 (1d6 + 1) slashing damage.
    Talons. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 4 (1d4+2) slashing damage.

The bald boar-hawk is bare-skinned but for its wings, which boast a reddish-brown plumage. It is omnivorous, but prefers meat, and will work together in small foraging groups to take down larger creatures. Between its hideous naked visage, taloned feet and acrobatic flying, the boar-hawk is a fearsome new predator of the skies.

Blink Deerboon
    Medium beast, unaligned
    Armor Class 12
    Hit Points 18 (4d8)
    Speed 45 ft., climb 30 ft.
    Str Dex Con Int Wis Cha
    10 (+0) 14 (+2) 10 (+0) 4 (-3) 11 (+0) 6 (-2)

Skills Perception +2
    Senses passive Perception 12
    Languages -
    Challenge 1/4 (50 XP)
    Pack Tactics. The deerboon has advantage on an attack roll against a creature if at least one of the deerboon's allies is within 5 feet of the creature and the ally isn't incapacitated.
    Actions
    Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +2 to hit , reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 3 (1d6) piercing damage.
    Antler. Melee Weapon Attack: +2 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 3 (1d6) slashing damage.
    Teleport (Recharge 4-6). The deerboon magically teleports, along with any equipment it is wearing or carrying, up to 40 feet to an unoccupied space it can see. Before or after teleporting, the deerboon can make one antler attack.

The blink deerboons' cunning ape faces peer out from beneath their antlers. They are remarkably mobile, on bounding deer legs, climbing with dextrous, human-like hands, or using their dimensional teleportation abilities absorbed from the chaotic magic of the shattered mystal. They coordinate with an animal intelligence while hunting.

Under Construction:

Tiny Vulture-Owl
    Animals
    d20: 9, d12: 3 = Owl, T, 0
    d20: 7, d12: 2 = Vulture, M, 0
    Magical Effect
    d20: 16, d12: 5 = Decrease size category by one
    CR
    TBD

^Might not make this one^

Giant Rat Spider(?)
    Animals
    d20: 14, d12: 3 = Giant Wolf Spider, M, 1/4
    d20: 18, d12: 4 = Giant Rat, S, 1/8
    Magical Effect
    d20: 20, d12: 5 = Fog Cloud/Stench/Fetid Cloud
    CR
    TBD

MORE WILL BE ROLLED!
    Last edited by WMO?; 2016-05-04 at 05:04 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Reserved for commentary