Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 31 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The LA-assignment thread

I guess that's why David won; Goliath was an unoptimized mess with worthless HD.
    Last edited by Celestia; 2017-01-02 at 12:17 PM.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

2. - Top - End - #902
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    I guess that's why David won; Goliath was an unoptimized mess with worthless HD.
    Well, David probably wasn't very optimised for combat either; he was a musician before he fought Goliath.

3. - Top - End - #903
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tiri View Post
    Well, David probably wasn't very optimised for combat either; he was a musician before he fought Goliath.
    Even using the CR system for "Non-associated Class Levels" Bard levels are worth 1/2 CR, which is the most ANY Racial HD is worth (and only Dragons and Outsiders are worth 1/2 CR per HD). Far from optimized.

Honestly any Racial HD that isn't Outsider or Dragon isn't worth anywhere near it's HD in ECL, so it would really be CR 0- for 90% of monster IMHO. Dragons and Outsiders on the other hand have Racial HD that would make them better characters than at least 1/4th of the classes in D&D based off Racial abilities alone.

4. - Top - End - #904
    Titan in the Playground

That's exactly why he won! Max ranks in Perform (Oratory), Dragonfire Inspiration yourself, and go to town. David even does a short speech before attacking!
    Have you had enough of unreasonably high LA's and unplayable monsters in 3.5? Then check out the LA-assignment thread! Don't hesitate to give feedback!

Extended signature!

5. - Top - End - #905
    Titan in the Playground

Gibbering Mouther

Yo dawg, I herd you like mouths, so I put mouths in your mouths so you can scream while you scream.

Gibbering Mouthers: aberrations with four HD, too many teeth, and an apparently TN alignment (because killing sapient beings when you don't have to is totally not evil).

Their base chassis could be better, but it's not horrible either. Ability scores are mostly either small bonuses or huge penalties (-6 intelligence), but constitution has a whopping +12 bonus. Mouthers also have a huge natural armor bonus (equivalent to full plate), a whoppin' six bite attacks (admittantly weak ones, but mouthpick is a thing) and even some DR.

Their special attacks are interesting too. Spittle is apparantly useable as part of a full attack in addition to being usable for free once per round and can inflict blindness for several turns, Gibbering is a big save-or-suck that your allies are protected against with some trouble, and Ground Manipulation basically robs everyone nearby of their move action. Oh, and being amorphous immunizes you to a few common attack forms.

The Improved Grab + Swallow Whole + Blood Drain trifecta seems pretty bad at first glance, as the mouther is a medium creature with no inherent strength bonus. However, advancing it by a single HD makes it become Large, adding a whopping +8 to its grapple modifier.

All considered, I think +2 LA is best here. In addition to the advancement shenanigans already mentioned, mouthers are simply a strong monster with lots of useful abilities. I admit I've strongly considered a +1 LA, though.
    Have you had enough of unreasonably high LA's and unplayable monsters in 3.5? Then check out the LA-assignment thread! Don't hesitate to give feedback!

Extended signature!

6. - Top - End - #906
    Banned

WhiteWizardGirl

Would mouthers get a huge penalty to social skills?

7. - Top - End - #907
    Titan in the Playground

Eugh, I would definitely not want a gibbering mouther as a PC. Definitely support erring on the side of higher LA.

8. - Top - End - #908
    Colossus in the Playground

It has a swim speed, too! I wouldn't drink the water that thing was swimming in, though.

My main issue with the Mouther is - where do you go from the basic model? It can't be a caster, its Strength is nothing special, grappling is a joke strategy at most levels. Ground Manipulation is cool, but mostly useful outdoors and sharply drops off as soon as things start to fly. Spittle has mediocre range, and Gibbering is mind-affecting and thus easy to counter. I think it deserves no more than +1 LA on these grounds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

9. - Top - End - #909
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    Eugh
    That's basically how I reacted too
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

10. - Top - End - #910
    Banned

Could be interesting, though, especially if you find a way to disguise yourself.

11. - Top - End - #911

Could be interesting, though, especially if you find a way to disguise yourself.
    An alter self effect can give you the form of an Elan, which is basically a person. Tricky to get outside of being a caster though, and you also don't want to lose the goodies of your own form.

As an amorphous being, a gibbering mouther could probably be easily concealed inside bags, clothing, or similar.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

12. - Top - End - #912

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    It has a swim speed, too! I wouldn't drink the water that thing was swimming in, though.

My main issue with the Mouther is - where do you go from the basic model? It can't be a caster, its Strength is nothing special, grappling is a joke strategy at most levels. Ground Manipulation is cool, but mostly useful outdoors and sharply drops off as soon as things start to fly. Spittle has mediocre range, and Gibbering is mind-affecting and thus easy to counter. I think it deserves no more than +1 LA on these grounds.
    Psychic Warrior, maybe, becoming a mean grapplomancer with Expansion and Iron Grip to back you up. In fact, any wisdom- or charisma-based casters seems to be fair game, and they get a +2 modifier to both; maybe an Ur-Priest?

Discounting all casting and manifesting, you could probably make a mean Ubercharger/Pounce build with its six bite attacks and improved grab, especially when using mouthpick weapons. Especially since all it takes is +1 RHD to get Large size and a competent strength score.

As an amorphous being, a gibbering mouther could probably be easily concealed inside bags, clothing, or similar.
    "Anything to declare?"

"No, officer. Just my Large sack. Very inconspicuous."

"Ah, I see. Well, in you go, then."
    Last edited by Muggins; 2017-01-03 at 11:27 AM.
    The Forsaker: A 3.5e revamp.
    Spoiler: CharOP
    Show
    IC 56: Bolivar d'Kundarak (Silver)
    IC 76: Xander Marchand (Silver)
    IC 82: North and East and Gripp (Tied for Gold!)
    VC 17: Liridon (Silver)
    JW 5: Nyan (Gold)
    ZS 24: Isabel (Gold)

13. - Top - End - #913
    Titan in the Playground

I ran an encounter once with 3 gibbering mouthers (1, then 2), and 8-10 NPCs, plus the party.

Some posts had over 80 rolls to adjudicate the results of (confusion save, then effects of confusion if failed).

Never again.

14. - Top - End - #914
    Banned

An alter self effect can give you the form of an Elan, which is basically a person. Tricky to get outside of being a caster though, and you also don't want to lose the goodies of your own form.

To be honest, I was just thinking of how fun it would be to disguise yourself as a normal-looking humanoid, seduce someone into some act of passion and then reveal your true form.

Probably only for Evil characters, though.

15. - Top - End - #915
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

I'm briefly imagining a sadistic DM that hides these as NPCs all the time. That princess you saved and received a kiss from? Gibbering Mouther. The barmaid you flirted with after a few pints of mead? Gibbering Mouther. The inn keeper you rented a room from? Gibbering Mouther. Like a Chuck Testa or Dropbear meme or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    What I care about here, though, is that the highest standard of pedantry is upheld.
    Level 6 Dread Necromancers can start the apocalypse
    Level 12 Bards can counter T1 spellcasters and kill Greater Deities

16. - Top - End - #916
    Banned

You don't need to imagine him; I exist.

17. - Top - End - #917

Knock it off with the kink-shaming already.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

18. - Top - End - #918
    Titan in the Playground

There are plenty of fine prestige classes that racial hit dice can get you into, plus initiator classes, which might as well be prestige classes, honestly. If you're half-decent at optimization, you shouldn't have any trouble finding something good.

19. - Top - End - #919
    Banned

WhiteWizardGirl

I just want to say: Ewww.

20. - Top - End - #920
    Ogre in the Playground

I just realized that you skipped Gelatinous Cube. Is there a reason for that? I was really looking forward to Ol' Cubey.

21. - Top - End - #921

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    I just realized that you skipped Gelatinous Cube. Is there a reason for that? I was really looking forward to Ol' Cubey.
    Gelatinous Cubes are under 'O' for Ooze, along with Black Pudding and Ochre Jelly.
    D&D 3.0 and 3.5 SRDs

Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    I'm honestly surprised at how often I spawn new sig's. Am I really that quotable?
    Quote Originally Posted by MetaMyconid View Post
    What do you mean it's not that great?

It lets you reload your greatsword.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Neutral Evil is Evil untainted by concern over Law or Chaos. It is Evil in its purest form, much like NG is Good in its purest form, LN is Law in its purest form, and CN is murderhoboing in its purest form.

22. - Top - End - #922
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zergling.exe View Post
    Gelatinous Cubes are under 'O' for Ooze, along with Black Pudding and Ochre Jelly.
    Darn it. That means I have to wait. :(

23. - Top - End - #923
    Titan in the Playground

Man, that's a lot of posts. I guess mouthers are popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Novolin View Post
    Would mouthers get a huge penalty to social skills?
    Not by RAW!

Noted.

Mouther with 14 charisma, 7 ranks in Disguise (gained as class skill through City Slicker), a disguise kit and a masterwork tool has a +13 modifier. Subtract 2 for pretending to be a different race, take 10, and you end up with a result of 21, meaning no matter how hard they try no commoner will see through your disguise.

Slime Lord, perhaps?

To be honest, I was just thinking of how fun it would be to disguise yourself as a normal-looking humanoid, seduce someone into some act of passion and then reveal your true form.

Well, mouthers do have that charisma bonus...

Extended signature!

24. - Top - End - #924
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post
    Mouther with 14 charisma, 7 ranks in Disguise (gained as class skill through City Slicker), a disguise kit and a masterwork tool has a +13 modifier. Subtract 2 for pretending to be a different race, take 10, and you end up with a result of 21, meaning no matter how hard they try no commoner will see through your disguise.
    That's not true, there are circumstance modifiers!

25. - Top - End - #925

There are plenty of fine prestige classes that racial hit dice can get you into, plus initiator classes, which might as well be prestige classes, honestly. If you're half-decent at optimization, you shouldn't have any trouble finding something good.
    The issue is not finding something to do. The issue is finding something to do that synergizes well with the Mouther's abilities. As-is, they fall into irrelevance fairly quickly and then you're sitting on 4 or 5 mediocre HD and some LA for nothing.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

26. - Top - End - #926
    Titan in the Playground

That's not true, there are circumstance modifiers!
    Show me where in the PHB it says that!
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2017-01-03 at 01:28 PM.

Extended signature!

27. - Top - End - #927
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post
    Show me where in the PHB it says that!
    It's in the DMG, not the PHB, silly. Page 30.

28. - Top - End - #928

BardGuy

It's in the DMG, not the PHB, silly. Page 30.
    Yes, but if the Mouther is very good at roleplay, he should get the circumstantial modifier!

"Yes, this is quite a lovely human conversation we are having, it it not?"

"Er, I guess so... Say, did your elbow just burp?"

"(*gurgles incomprehensively*)"

"I beg your pardon?"

"I mean, no, of course not, silly human companion."

Editor's Note: See Octodad for another excellent example of Mouther-class disguise roleplay in the wild
    Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    What I care about here, though, is that the highest standard of pedantry is upheld.
    Level 6 Dread Necromancers can start the apocalypse
    Level 12 Bards can counter T1 spellcasters and kill Greater Deities

29. - Top - End - #929
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Despair View Post
    Yes, but if the Mouther is very good at roleplay, he should get the circumstantial modifier!

"Yes, this is quite a lovely human conversation we are having, it it not?"

"Er, I guess so... Say, did your elbow just burp?"

"(*gurgles incomprehensively*)"

"I beg your pardon?"

"I mean, no, of course not, silly human companion."

Editor's Note: See Octodad for another excellent example of Mouther-class disguise roleplay in the wild
    New life goal: get DM to accept gibbering mouther PC with max ranks in Profession (Actor).

Extended signature!

30. - Top - End - #930

Eugh, I would definitely not want a gibbering mouther as a PC. Definitely support erring on the side of higher LA.
    Because you think they make really strong PCs, or because you think they are inappropriate as PCs?