New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 45 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2035363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1478
  1. - Top - End - #1321
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The LA-assignment thread

Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    As is so often the case, I disagree with you here. Well, on the first part: the second part is correct.

Hobgoblins look strong, because they get direct bonuses to moderately useful stats. However, as has been pointed out, a feat is in many cases equal if not better. Even compared to 'normal' +0 LA races, such as dwarves, I'd pick them over hobgoblin in most cases.

Ask for yourself: is +2 dexterity and a +4 bonus on move silently worth 90 ft. darkvision, saving throw bonuses against spells and poisons, bonuses against common enemies and on common skills, and what may be the biggest pile of race-specific material in the game? The -2 charisma is nearly irrelevant, because anyone with a -2 charisma race is not going to have a class that needs it.

Hobgoblins, at +0 LA, are useful in their own way. At +1 LA, they're the ridiculed fodder they are today.
    So they aren't that bad, but they aren't an optimal choice, like half-elves or half-orcs?

Also I thought elves would have more racial material. Then again, I don't think elves have something like Races of Stone.

What downside does a lesser aasimar have, pray tell? Energy resistances, +2 to two stats, skill bonuses, a SLA, darkvision, and tons of racial support seem to come at little to no penalty.
    Being banned at tables for being too powerful.

What are you talking about? There's lots of reasons not to take humans! Hasn't anyone taught you a thing about strongheart halflings?
    Oh, but who can get into Chameleon, one of the most ridiculous PrCs(in a powerful way) that isn't intended for casters? Who can get Able Learner? Not to mention that Stronghearts are setting-specific, while humans are everywhere. How many tables ban humans?

Plus if they really are better than humans then they require an even higher LA.
    Last edited by danielxcutter; 2017-03-16 at 02:50 AM.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

2. - Top - End - #1322
    Titan in the Playground

Exclamation Re: The LA-assignment thread

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Also I thought elves would have more racial material. Then again, I don't think elves have something like Races of Stone.
    Races of the Wild, among others. Elves are one of the most-supported races (alongside Dwarves) for racial feats, PrCs, items etc. Although their stuff doesn't tend to be as cool (or powerful) as the Dwarf stuff.

3. - Top - End - #1323
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Races of the Wild, among others. Elves are one of the most-supported races (alongside Dwarves) for racial feats, PrCs, items etc. Although their stuff doesn't tend to be as cool (or powerful) as the Dwarf stuff.
    Hmm, I see. I remember that ToB has PrCs for both, and they're both pretty sweet. Too bad Orcs don't get even remotely the same amount of love.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

4. - Top - End - #1324
    Titan in the Playground

Post Re: The LA-assignment thread

Yeah, pretty much every Orc PrC is "X of Gruumsh" or "Y of Gruumsh" - all tend to be melee focused, not particularly great at it, and often involve being blind in one eye.

5. - Top - End - #1325
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Yeah, pretty much every Orc PrC is "X of Gruumsh" or "Y of Gruumsh" - all tend to be melee focused, not particularly great at it, and often involve being blind in one eye.
    It's racial profiling, I tell ya. Drow had it just as bad until Drizzt came along. But at least they get classes. Duergar and goblins and so on get squat.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

6. - Top - End - #1326
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    It's racial profiling, I tell ya. Drow had it just as bad until Drizzt came along. But at least they get classes. Duergar and goblins and so on get squat.
    Well, duergar are just a kind of dwarf, so they have all the dwarf stuff. Saying they have nothing is like saying 'wood elves have nothing'. Goblins also have Hexer, but that isn't much.

Goblins are just unlucky because they're not a variant of a PHB race, and didn't have the luck of the kobolds. Really, the only 'monstrous' or evil races that get any substantial support outside of Savage Species are PHB-race variants.

7. - Top - End - #1327
    Titan in the Playground

There's also Stonedeath Assassin for goblinoids, which I suppose is a reasonable PrC for a rogue. Probably not as good as the default assassin, though.

Also, the Darguun Mauler feat requires the goblinoid subtype. A hobgoblin tripper might want to pick it instead of EWP (spiked chain).
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

8. - Top - End - #1328
    Banned

There's also Stonedeath Assassin for goblinoids, which I suppose is a reasonable PrC for a rogue. Probably not as good as the default assassin, though.
    Well, it would be asking too much for them to get something that would actually make them hard to fight, I suppose.

9. - Top - End - #1329
    Troll in the Playground

What downside does a lesser aasimar have, pray tell? Energy resistances, +2 to two stats, skill bonuses, a SLA, darkvision, and tons of racial support seem to come at little to no penalty.[/COLOR]
    The extraplanar subtype is really obnoxious lategame unless you are willing to hold a Rod of Embassy at all times. I never said it was huge, but a DM can definitely punish you if they want.

10. - Top - End - #1330
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ZamielVanWeber View Post
    The extraplanar subtype is really obnoxious lategame unless you are willing to hold a Rod of Embassy at all times. I never said it was huge, but a DM can definitely punish you if they want.
    Lesser Aasimars don't have the extraplanar subtype. They have the planetouched subtype, which does absolutely nothing.

11. - Top - End - #1331
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tiri View Post
    Well, duergar are just a kind of dwarf, so they have all the dwarf stuff.
    Oh. Yeah, I guess they'd qualify.

Huh? What, by banishment?
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Fanfic

12. - Top - End - #1332
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Oh, but who can get into Chameleon, one of the most ridiculous PrCs(in a powerful way) that isn't intended for casters? Who can get Able Learner? Not to mention that Stronghearts are setting-specific, while humans are everywhere. How many tables ban humans?

Plus if they really are better than humans then they require an even higher LA.
    Human Heritage can get you the [Human] Subtype.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

13. - Top - End - #1333
    Titan in the Playground

Hobgoblins

WotC Hates Goblinoids III: Revenge of the Suck.

I'm not going to repeat everything that has been said on the last page, but the consensus seems to be that +2 dexterity and constitution, +4 move silently, and darkvision aren't worth a point of LA. I agree. That's it, post is over.
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2017-03-17 at 09:24 AM.

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

14. - Top - End - #1334
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Hobgoblins

WotC Hates Goblinoids III: Revenge of the Suck.

I'm not going to repeat everything that has been said on the last page, but the consensus seems to be that +2 dexterity and constitution, +4 move silently, and darkvision aren't worth a point of LA. I agree with these people. That's it, post is over.
    If we're using Pathfinder standards for the weird race points things, these track behind basically everything, because everything else gets some unique ability of some kind.
    If we're using 3.5 standards, humans definitely track ahead even without the LA.
    If we're using 3.5 standards with lesser aasimar as the standard, then these things are just plain old awful.

15. - Top - End - #1335
    Troll in the Playground

Lesser Aasimars don't have the extraplanar subtype. They have the planetouched subtype, which does absolutely nothing.
    I checked and you are right. Oops.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    Oh. Yeah, I guess they'd qualify.

Huh? What, by banishment?
    The Word spells as well. Those trying to smack you into another place is insanely obnoxious.

16. - Top - End - #1336
    Titan in the Playground

I checked and you are right. Oops.

The Word spells as well. Those trying to smack you into another place is insanely obnoxious.
    I may be misremembering, but Planetouched are [Native] Outsiders. Their home plane is the Material, like all other "PC Approved" races. You'd have no special weakness to banishment effects than your party members. Adventure outside the Material and you are all vulnerable.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

17. - Top - End - #1337
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MesiDoomstalker View Post
    I may be misremembering, but Planetouched are [Native] Outsiders. Their home plane is the Material, like all other "PC Approved" races. You'd have no special weakness to banishment effects than your party members. Adventure outside the Material and you are all vulnerable.
    Planetouched are. Lesser planetouches are supposed to be humanoid (extraplanar) but are humanoid (planetouched). As extraplanar entities they are vulnerable to any form of banishment effect.

18. - Top - End - #1338
    Titan in the Playground

Planetouched are. Lesser planetouches are supposed to be humanoid (extraplanar) but are humanoid (planetouched). As extraplanar entities they are vulnerable to any form of banishment effect.
    So what is their homeplane?
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

19. - Top - End - #1339
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MesiDoomstalker View Post
    So what is their homeplane?
    The Demi-Elemental Plane of WhoTheHellCares
    Conveniently one spellcasting away from the material.

20. - Top - End - #1340
    Ogre in the Playground

Why do you keep saying that aasimar are extra-planar? Anything born on the Prime Material (i.e. almost all characters ever made outside of a Planescape campaign) is not extra-planar.

21. - Top - End - #1341
    Banned

They aren't extraplanar because they are native to the Material Plane. Whoever wrote the rules for lesser planetouched probably didn't know how nativity to planes worked, which is why the planetouched subtype does nothing.
    Last edited by Tiri; 2017-03-17 at 11:06 AM.

22. - Top - End - #1342
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetouched are native outsiders.
    This (rather off-topic for the current thread topic) discussion is about lesser planetouched. The only difference between planetouched and lesser planetouched (other than LA) is that the latter are not outsiders.
    Last edited by Malimar; 2017-03-17 at 10:29 AM.

23. - Top - End - #1343
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Malimar View Post
    This (rather off-topic for the current thread topic) discussion is about lesser planetouched. The only difference between planetouched and lesser planetouched (other than LA) is that the latter are not outsiders.
    I now see that I misunderstood something, although I also think that it's not what you think I did. Thanks anyway, for bringing something to my attention that was already there but in the process making me bring something else to it that wasn't.

24. - Top - End - #1344
    Titan in the Playground

Homunculus

A brief note before we start: including a homunculus in a party may be problematic (even for something from this thread). This is because as long as they know the location of their creator (probably at least 7th-level), they have to stay within 1500 feet of them, and having their creator die slays them as well. I recommend having them get petrified and Rock to Mud'ed in your backstory.

On to the actual monster. Homunculi have two construct HD, which means getting a ton of immunities at a minimal cost (though being tiny means no bonus HP, boo). They suffer penalties to charisma and strength, have good wisdom and dexterity, and obviously lack a constitution score. Land speed is on the lower side, but a 50 ft. flight speed makes up for a lot of that.

Homunculi also have a bite attack that deals some damage and injects a poison capable of causing unconsciousness. Not bad, but with the DC being constitution-based it's not going to get very high.

As a final note: homunculi explicitly cannot speak, which may influence some character concepts.

Personally, I think a LA of +0 is fine here, though I'm obviously interested in the forum's opinion.

Extended signature!

25. - Top - End - #1345
    Titan in the Playground

Definitely need a ⚠ for this one.

26. - Top - End - #1346
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    Definitely need a ⚠ for this one.
    Because of the creator thing?

Extended signature!

27. - Top - End - #1347
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes, for sure! Actually I would not give something more than a +0 to them. Their stat mods are unappealing for melee builds, and the loss of two caster levels make them a subpar choice for wizards. Skillmonkeys might appreciate the Tiny size, flight, and bonus to Dex, but lose between 20 and 30 skill points according to whether they have 6 or 8 per levels. But they cannot speak, so no social skills either.
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

28. - Top - End - #1348
    Bugbear in the Playground

Standard homunculi suck.

There's a fairly massive problem in the whole "how do you avoid or get around being tethered to your creator" and "if your creator dies, so do you" issues.
    That pretty much requires a significant degree of handwavium in the backstory.

I would actually suggest including an involuntary form of extraplanar travel - so you don't know where your creator is. In addition to whatever you included to have your creator taken out of action effectively indefinitely without risk of them dying/getting killed. Arguably, a Flesh to Stone followed by Rock to Mud would require the homunculus to remain near the patch of mud, and possibly to attempt to resculpt the creator. Pretty much its whole motivation is going to be getting its creator back - and at that point, it basically requires a Wish or Miracle.

Not being able to talk doesn't help either.

I'd say a +0, or even a -0, with a DM caution, on the grounds that a homunculus is going to be incredibly difficult to integrate into a game.
    No DM is ever truly out of tricks to mess with his/her players.
    No player is ever truly out of ways to surprise their DM.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #1349
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: The LA-assignment thread

Petrify creator, PaO statue into an amulet, wear the amulet/creator?

30. - Top - End - #1350
    Ogre in the Playground

So...full planetouched are native to the Material Plane, but lesser planetouched aren't? That sounds backwards, somehow.

-snip-
    With the creator stuff, the homunculus is basically unplayable. But then again, several creatures we've examined have problems in their basic forms (e.g, intelligence); I'm assuming we're finding a way around those niggling details.
    Without the creator stuff, I'd say +0 is fine. Flight and construct traits for a couple of subpar HD? Seems like a fair enough trade-off.
    Quotes, more

Fanfic