New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default To Frontier and Beyond (IC)

Dock Diner at New Damascus
    13:32 LT (local time)/ 14:47 ET (Earth-time)

The dock diner at New Damascus dock E12 was empty - the digital chronometer placed over the bar showed that lunch has already ended and it was too soon to have dinner. The waitress was sitting, bored, behind the bar, counting down time until her shift ended.

A tall Kithon, member of the rare feline race, stood by the window, motionless. He seemed to be lost in his thoughts, his military duffel bag stood right next to his left leg.

Behind him sat two females, discussing something. If there was anyone who would listen in this small diner, he would have heard the strangest debate.

"Whaddya mean I could have all of my books on a 'small handytablet that can hold a minimum of 10TB'?! Do you think I'm made out of money?!"
    That was the dark-haired one, the one with large goggles hanging from her neck.

"....can someone explain to her that her books are marginally more expensive for us than the one tablet. Ten terras seems to be about right for an average paper library from a world like yours."
    And that was the one in the well-worn Federal Navy jumpsuit usually worn by the support personnel, minus the insignia. She addressed the last two people present.

There is still great value to the written word - my people strongly believed this prior to the Empire's invasion. Digital Books? That's akin to taking away an individual's soul.
    The tall, reptile-like alien, who replied, wore similar uniform, both in style and its state - the difference was only that his seemed more like aviator jumpsuit. As he provided his answer, his gaze drifted off, and his eyes became strangely soft, as if he was reminiscing about something.

Last person was a tall, thin, stylish gentleman, with clothes and haircut obviously not fitting into this diner. He seemed to ignore the discussion, but was typing into his portable computer.

Then the door opened - they all turned to the man who entered. He was wearing a nice business suit, and seemed to carry some documents in a file. He was smiling.

"I got the papers from starport done. Sorry about the delay, turns out getting a ship registered takes hours. It's nice to see that everyone came. I'm Stephen, our main biologist and the one who got us the grant. Kora, you can keep the books but you have to pay for repairs if we are damaged by extremist librarian attacks. I will take the room closest to the labs, unless anyone else wants it. Could someone make a list of nonessential rooms that we could replace with laboratory space once we get to the ship? I don't think all of our scientists can use this small one. "

They all stared in disbelief - they got a ship!

And then they saw the designation. "Old Lady" indeed. Quick check of the file showed that it is currently stationed at dock E12-22Q at New Damascus - that dock was right across the street, and so they went.

Dock E12-22Q at New Damascus
    13:37 LT (local time)/ 14:55 ET (Earth-time)

It was an open-space dock, a donut-shaped one, with six ships lined up around the inner circle. It was filled with sounds of maintenance crews working on the ships, testing the engines, people running around, large vans driving supplies, and two cranes loading the storages with goods.

There were six ships, but they recognized their own immediately.

It looked ancient. The design was obsolete and next to the sleek navy corvette and the fat trader that were docked next to it, it looked like a museum piece - it missed only "please, do not touch the replica" sign.

Only the bridge seemed to be completely refitted from the outside - it did not fit with the rest of the ship. It has been painted gray, but it still bore reminders of several other visible paintjobs visible where the paint was scrapping. The second ring seemed to have several holes from explosions, and a huge hangar blast door cut to half. There were several scorching lines at the hull and the landing gear was covered in dirt. A coolant leaked from somewhere below the ship - slowly dripping, it already created a small pool.

And still, it was a military ship - and you could still see that. It was an exercise in "function over form" and the turret with double-beam laser, although of an older type, looked formidable.

A man stood in front of the ship with a holo-pad in his hands. As he noticed them, he moved towards them with a large, well-practiced smile, and tired eyes.

"You the new owners...? The name's Grigraff Vanhelssen, call me Grig." he ran his hand through his unsheveled hair. He was sweating, but that was expected. New Damascus had a thick atmosphere, and it was currently summer there - and the dock was pure densoconcrete - it radiated heat. The greenish sky turned already into deep emerald, which meant the heat would get a little better, but that would take several hours.

Grig did not wait for them and continued. "That Dasparian guy told me to expect you. So - the ship's here, the credits were transferred. We cleaned it up as best as we could - for the time they gave us and the money they paid. Ring B is still an open-space, so we sealed it from the inside, and we did a wonderful job with the bridge." there was a slight pause - as he thought about the news he was going to tell them. "...but then the academia guys installed the computer. It's got the newest software they told us, so watch out. If you need something reworked on the ship, let me know. I got a good crew an'the boys are familiar with the ship. Here's my card."
    He hands you and old holo-card.
    Bet'ya can't wait until you get on board. You have a permission to fly at 3:15 in the morning, or you can wait until 17:25 tomorrow, when the planet's optimal. We can do miracles in that time if you got the money, so call me if you need something. Any questions?

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    One thing I feel I should state - if you want me to skip over your actions, write them as done. If you want me to narrate, write them only as intentions.
    I prefer the latter, but am willing to accept the former.
    Last edited by Lacco; 2016-04-25 at 03:12 AM.
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Formerly GMing: Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: To Frontier and Beyond (IC)

Fang

Fang's midnight-black fur was slightly slick with sweat from the burning sun. His dark jumpsuit, apparently an old security uniform with the branding removed, was old and faded, having seen better days. A sleek blade hung at his hip, well cared for, but obviously past its glory years. The tall Kithon was casually carrying an old laser rifle across his shoulder. He trailed a little behind the group on their way toward dock E12-22Q. He didn't like overthinking things, preferred to act on instinct. But he couldn't avoid it in this case. There was too much going on, too much to process. The emotions inside him were boiling over, and he had a hard time dealing with their chaos after locking them away for so many years.

Fang looked at his new companions. There were Jennifer and Stephen, his friends, the people who had helped him cast off the shackles of the past, and invited him into a new life. He would always be thankful for it. The other three were still unkown to him. He hadn't introduced himself yet. Fanatic assassin cults that brainwashed their members didn't tend to put too much emphasis on small talk and general social graces. Still, these people that Jennifer and Steven had brought here seemed interesting.

There was the lizard. A warrior like Fang himself, he could tell from the man's movements. There might be common ground between them, and it would be good to have someone capable at his side when things got ugly. For all the respect and loyalty he had for Jennifer and Stephen, they weren't much help in a fight.

The black-skinned human male. He instinctively liked the man. His clothes, his hair, his whole bearing aimed to make a statement, and that was something Fang very much agreed with.

And there was the woman with the goggles. She had been staring at Fang since the first second, and he wasn't sure why. Normally he'd have assumed hostile intent from staring this intense, but there didn't seem to be any malice in her gaze. A mystery.

He shook his head slightly, banishing the thoughts that didn't lead to anything. He'd rather act. He caught up to the rest of the group with fluid steps, the casual elegance of a predatory animal. And then they reached the ship. Their ship. He couldn't even express how much the dated hunk of machinery, along with its new crew, meant to him. It was freedom, salvation, the gift of a new life. Leaving the past behind, following his dreams. A wide smile spread over his feline face, exposing the fangs that gave him his name. For the first time he felt like the lively young man his age said he should be, instead of the cold and deadened machine Count Markart had turned him into. Who could blame him if he went a little overboard with his emotions.

"You did it Stephen!" He couldn't supress the enthusiasm in his voice. "You actually managed to get us a ship. I didn't quite believe it until now!"

Then he belatedly realized the slight awkwardness of speaking to the group while not having formally introduced himself to most of them yet. He turned toward the unkown faces.

"I'm Fang. A friend of Stephen and Jennifer. And this thing is ours! We're going to Frontier!"

He couldn't wait. So many new places and people to experience, to explore. Opportunities to sharpen his skills, and to make up for his past. Protect people from the likes of Count Markart. The chance to do more than kill with these hands of his. Or, at least, to kill for a reason, a purpose, to make the world better instead of worse.
    Last edited by Battlemage; 2016-04-24 at 07:08 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Mek'Tar enters the hangar where his new acquaintance and ship-mate Kora has asked to meet him. Earlier negotiations between the two had earned the formidable reptilian a job that he had been seeking for some time - his first assignment as a pilot in far too long.

The sound of engines, the smell of starship fuel and the general atmosphere of the dock got Mek'Tar's enthusiasm up instantly - it felt like coming home. Maybe not the home he remembered from his childhood, lost too many years ago, but instead his new home among the stars.

He smiled as he searched the hangar for a familiar face, and instead saw Stephen, who he had met while Kora had been recruiting him to pilot the ship. As he gestured to the scientist, he got his first glimpse of the starship that he would be calling home for some time.

The Old Lady. The name certainly seemed an apt description. And yet there was something endearing about the ship - it's simple design was akin to something his people would have crafted in their earlier days. It wasn't at all dissimilar from what he faintly remembered as the ship that took him away from his home world, in a frantic evacuation that would haunt his thoughts for the rest of his life.

He brought his thoughts back to the present. There would be a time again to revisit his past, maybe redeem his people. But for now...

Stephen! So good to see you again, and get a look at the Old Lady! Any word on when she will be ready to fly? I'm anxious to see how she handles!

Are these others coming along as well?

I'm Mek'Tar, formally Mek of clan Tar, and a Saurian. Pleased to meet you.

Mek'Tar extends a hand, first to the cat-like creature he perceives to have some fighting skill.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

"Thanks Grig," she replies to the man, pulling at the collar of her orange jumpsuit accepting the holocard as she mumbled to herself, "this seems familiar....." as she looked at the registration number of the ship.

"Wow, it's still running? The design is pre-artifical gravity......" she whistled as she looked over the specs, whistling. "Sorry, name's Jennifer, only ship engineer available." she adds, turning to and smiling at the new arrivals, waving at them.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Sagara
    It's not Yggdrasil or Helheim you're facing, it's the cold rule that says the world demands sacrifice in exchange of hope. Destroy that rule and change the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox Mulder
    I did not lie, I wilfully participated in a campaign of misinformation

Murdered by Furthur Maths.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Grig looks at Jennifer with the smile of a man who just met a colleague. "You the ship tech? Great to meet'cha - and don't be fooled, the artificial gravity's already installed, but the rings are still running. Oh and how many people you got on tech squad for this beauty...?" he nods towards the ship.
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.

Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

6. - Top - End - #6

Fang

Fang takes Mek'Tar's offered hand and shakes it with a firm grip. "Likewise. Good to have another non-human on board. There's so many of them, and so few of us, after all." The Kithon smiles his customary fanged smile to show he's not serious.

Then the conversation between Jennifer and Grig comes to his attention and he chuckles.

"Tech squad? We don't really have a 'squad' of anything at the moment, it's just us six here on board. Jen here will have to pull overtime. We'll all pitch in when available, of course, but Jen's the one with the training."

He thought about his own roles on the journey to come. He'd defend his friends when they got into trouble, of course, but what would he do while on board. His past hadn't taught him many skills that were relevant to crewing a space ship. At least he'd managed to learn the basics of gunnery on the way to New Damascus and he would endeavor to improve that skill. It suited his inclinations and talents.
    Last edited by Battlemage; 2016-04-25 at 07:23 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Grig's jaw drops a bit and he looks at Fang at disbelief. He then turns to Jennifer with a new expression on his face.
    "Just you...? You're braver than I thought. I like that. I'll give you a 20% discount for spares, you'll need it. And any work done by my people." he seems to remember something. "Oh and don't get lost inside, it's quite a labyrinth and not all sections are marked... or lit... or even where they should be."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

"I did graduate from The Academy, thank you though, this ship was in federal service right?" she replied smiling, somewhat proud sounding.
    Last edited by The_Admiral; 2016-04-25 at 09:28 AM.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

It's not Yggdrasil or Helheim you're facing, it's the cold rule that says the world demands sacrifice in exchange of hope. Destroy that rule and change the world.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Grig whistles in surprise, and then his smile widens and he pulls in his belly to pull off a perfect navy salute. "Yeah, I know. Retired Chief Petty Officer Grigraff Vanhelssen, at your service m'am. Hope you keep the old lady safe. If you ever need something, call me - you got the card. Oh, and this goes to the owner..."

With that, he hands you a large file. After that he turns around, and enters an old army pickup that is waiting for him. He waves to everyone and just like that, he's gone.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Kora squinted her eyes deeply after Jennifer's comment, and wasn't able to come with a better comeback than scrunching her nose for a second. She nodded and waved her hand lightly to indicate her that she no hard feelings about this little conversation.

She then snarkly shouted at Stephen "Hey, I own these books this time around, no more extending loans "forgetting" to return them! Can'tye see I'm a changed lady?" and spread her arms wide, smiling like she had found the most ancient language in the books and sat down. Kora felt such ease finding Stephen again.

Her eyes steer across the room looking at the more or less familiar faces, trying to read their social status and whereabouts from simply analysing their posture and clothing. There's no way that slick fella on the computer was from her world. Kora focused her eyes mostly on Mek'Tar and the other non-Human that were first examining each other and then shaking each others' hands.

Although she knows it's rude to stare in majority of the universe's cultures, Kora couldn't get her eyes off of the feline character in her field of vision. There was absolutely no question of his origin - a Kithon in the flesh. Even without her goggles it was the most obvious thing on earth to her. There are other species alike, but only Kithons have a rounded--- aw, schucks. The man could clearly see Kora watching him, and she realised that he had know that fact for a while. Awkward. She felt a compelling need to fix her own discomfort...

"I'll just put me goggles on and keep lookin' at ye, pardon." she said looking directly at the Kithon male making rather obvious gestures at her eyes, goggles and him whilst putting the goggles on. Kora scrunched up her nose a little with a gentle smile on the side, trying to think of ways that could make her seem as kind as possible. The first encounters with new species are always like this, she thinks.

They teach you all kinds of things at the college but never tell you about the delicacy that intial meetings hold.

Kora corrected her posture a little on the bench and smiled boldly. "Anyways... that's me. Kora Dede Kneen, first child of Kwamena Dede Afram and Maia Kneen."

She then quickly glanced back and saw Grig leaving and returned his wave.

"Nice guy that fella."
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

11. - Top - End - #11

BlueKnightGuy

Stephen talks to fang as he waits for everyone to introduce themselves "I barely believe it myself. When I asked for a grant, I didn't really expect it to be accepted, but here it is. All it took was some negotiation, a few days spent on paperwork, and putting up with Irix and then we got a ship. It's not great but with a bit of remodeling a some repairs, It'll be as good as new" he actually doubted thet the old lady would ever be new, comparing it to the ships he used to use before the warlord-induced bankruptcy. Which wasn't his fault. There was no way of knowing who the client was. It could've happened to anyone, and Fang killed him before he could do that much with it. His thoughts were interrupted by Kora. "Great to see you too! And it's not theft if it's a historical book. Its technically "recovering ancient manuscripts from the wrong hands for the sake of archeology" " He turns to Jennifer and Mek'Tar and asks "When can you two get this thing off the ground? We're cleared to start flying at 3:15 but we might want to wait until tomorrow so we have time to explore and get settled in"
    Last edited by lukitux; 2016-04-26 at 04:46 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

Fang

Fang was looking at the goggles-woman with increasing amounts of confusion. What did she mean she would keep looking at him? Why was she hiding her eyes now? And what were the gestures and the baring of the teeth all about? A warning that she was keeping an eye on him? Or was she simply performing some kind of human greeting ritual from her planet? Declaring some sort of special interest in him? He couldn't tell. Humans weren't like Kithon, no two of them seemed to be alike despite sharing the same species. He never knew what to expect from them. A very complicated race.

Fang decided that the best course of action would be to ignore the whole thing and assume it wasn't significant. This was in fact how he handled most of his social interaction. He gave her a lax wave of the hand and a "Hey Kora."

Turning to Stephen, he added.

"We might want to use that discount Grig just offered us, thanks to the impression Jen made on him." He gave her a wink at these words. "Depending on what we find inside, we should consider spending some of our intial grant money on some needed repairs or upgrades."
    Last edited by Battlemage; 2016-04-25 at 06:28 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

I can start flying as soon as you folks are ready to hit the road - I'm anxious to get into that cockpit and out of orbit.

What's our mission? Or are we just off for a joyride? I'm fine either way.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Hector followed the group out to the ship. The computer in his hands keeping him entertained all along the way. Content to stay within himself, he didn't seem much interested to any outsider in talking. In front of the ship itself he found himself clasping the electronic slab to his chest and praying with his head down. Truly, the ship in front of him an ancient artificial. The spirit within her must be an old and wise one.
    Last edited by Elbeyon; 2016-04-25 at 07:15 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Jennifer returns the salute "Reserve Ensign Jennifer Dove," she replies, while doing so, accepting the file.

Answering the question, she replied, "I'm not sure yet. A day for the final checks at the very least" as she idly scrolled through the ship's information.

".............. Stephen, did you have any plans on going anywhere near Imperial ships in this girl?" she asks as she finally reconises the number, it was on the service patch on her dad's old jumpsuit.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16

Fang

While the various conversations flow around him, some involving him more than others, but all relevant to their newly formed group, Fang has a hard time diverting his attention from the Old Lady's entrance ramp. It called to him. He puts his hand on the hot metal of the outer hull, feeling the vibrations of the tech inside. Their ticket to a new life.

"Everyone," he says, adressing the whole group, "how about we continue all of our discussions while exploring the ship. I want to see what's inside! It'll give us the ability to decide what we might want to upgrade or buy before we leave, as well."

17. - Top - End - #17

Mek'Tar perks up, noticeably excited by Fang's suggestion. That's exactly the invitation he was waiting for, and without hesitation he turns for the ramp.

Now those are the most sensible words uttered all day! I'm beginning to like this cat-like warrior already!

Mek'Tar will go searching for and make a beeline for the cockpit.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

They approached the ship entrance in the back of the ship - which was the only one open at the moment. As they walked up the steps, they noticed a slight humming and vibrations, coming from the ship.

The ship power plant was on-line and working.

They entered the hull, continuing their ascent on metal steps. Their footsteps echoed, breaking the silent humming coming from the depths of the ship. It was dark inside, and the ship smelled - it was not one discernable smell, it contained the metalling tang coming from the engineering, the deep smell of oil and lubricants, a whiff of burnt rubber, scorched steel, the semblance of the sweat... and the breath of ages.

They reached the first deck - it was signalized by a large "1" on the wall of the room they were in. Only the emergency lighting was on, the white tubes providing enough light for them to discern a service elevator on the left, a corridor that looked like endless in front of them, and a pair of large double breach door with "Engineering" written on them - the one in front of them marked additionally with "Power Plant", the one behind them with "M-Drive".

There was also a door leading to emergency stairway.

Small spot of additional light was provided by the computer console, which looked out of place - it looked more modern than the rest of the room, and it was also online. The screen showed only date and time, and small command prompt - the ship was running on emergency power level, so the computer system was only running background checks.

They stood there, speechless for a moment. And then Stephen's comm beeped, signalizing a call. Mek'tar walked forward, to the unending corridor.

Spoiler: Computer screen text
    Show
    The screen was showing only few lines of text.
    JvS-beta 1.3.100

Setting: Emergency Power Level
    Background checking: active
    System status: nominal.

For maintenance: Enter one-time maintenance code
    For owner: place your thumb digit on the biometric scanner to activate full power.

Spoiler: Mek'tar
    Show
    Mek'tar immediately knew where to go. Just to the front - he wanted to reach the bridge, to place his body into the pilot's seat. While the ship was old, it represented all he needed. A chance to prove himself.

He immediately marched into the corridor, assuming the bridge will be on the other side, so he took the most direct way. He passed few double doors leading to other engineering rooms, an upwards ramp, an elevator leading to the second ring, and in the end of the corridor, climbed a ladder to second deck, since he assumed the ring elevator did not work yet.

His footsteps sounded too loud in the narrow corridors, and he noticed he subconsciously started moving slower, more carefully, stepping softly not to disturb the silence. When he noticed that, he again sped up, not knowing why he even bothered - there should be no one on this ship except for his companions. Yet, for some reason he felt as if someone was watching him - but that could have been only the bad feeling from seeing the interior cameras in the corridors.

When he passed the middle part of the ship, and the first ring, he noticed another dead end. So he climbed down again, passing by the ship's locker. He peeked in - the door was open. It was a mess. He counted only two zero-g suits, one ancient cutlass and duffel bag with unknown contents. The floor was full of debris - remains of boxes, cloth, plastics - it seemed that someone looted the room and did not replace anything.

The storage part was full of small rooms. He ignored them - the ship's locker told him what he could expect. Another climb, this time upwards, and he reached the flight deck. In front of him stood the bridge...

The air was still, dry, and smelled old. Yet, the bridge was completely new. A half-circle, with transparent front, however, currently closed. It contained ten seats, each with a workstation, arranged into a levelled triangle, reminding him of ancient amphitheatres - pilot's seat was the frontal one, giving him the best view, but being the lowest one. Commander's seat was in the center - it stood on a small pedestal, but wasn't the highest one.

And then the power went on - lights blinked, workstations started to boot up, and the frontal window started to open, showing the docks...

Show
    If you want to change his route, let me know. I took the instruction "makes a beeline for the bridge" seriously . Feel free to use parts of this description/whole in your next post - updated according to what the others do.

Spoiler: Jennifer
    Show
    The smells were nothing unusual. Most ships smelled rather bad if they served for ten or twenty years...and this one was even older. But she wanted to see the engineering... the crew said they fixed it, but she never trusted others to keep things in perfect shape...
    Show
    Oh, the door to engineering will require a biometric check - until Stephen configures the ship to accept yours, you will not be able to enter. Feel free to use it in your next post.

Spoiler: Kora
    Show
    The ship wasn't what she expected. She saw the dirt, the grime, even some rust. There was enough dust on the floor for her to track down her companions if she got lost. But it was a start. And she wanted to see more of it - maybe the other rooms were not so dark, gloomy, old, smelly...
    Show
    Don't worry, the showers work... . Ok, state where you want to go from here - I'd try the elevator once the power is on.

Spoiler: Hector
    Show
    The ship computer has been replaced. He knew it the moment he entered the room and saw the new workstation. As he stood inside, he had the feeling of deja-vu, the familiarity of the ship was overwhelming. He felt that the spirit was still there... the metal heart of the ship was still beating, and while its mind has been replaced, he still had hope they replaced it by a worthy soul...
    But that was for him to find out.
    Show
    Good news, you are able to orient inside the ship as well as if you had a map. State where you want to go and you'll get there. Bad news - the computer recognizes Steven as the owner, so you'll have to wait until he "legalizes" you.

Spoiler: Stephen
    Show
    As he flipped the screen on, it showed "That Idiot", which meant Irix Dasparan. The fact he called him could mean only one thing - trouble. Yet, he couldn't risk not answering the call - if they revoked the grant, and they left with the ship, it would be a grand theft - and one still worth few millions of credits.
    Show
    You are oficially the owner. Feel free to take the call while turning the power on - you can also immediately let the internal ship scanners "designate" the others as crew.

Spoiler: Fang
    Show
    Fang spent time on old freighter ships, hiding between cargo. This didn't seem so bad - it was almost spacious, the smell was better than expected, and he was sure he would find some place for him... just... which way?
    Show
    Bad roll, so state where you want to go. Expect to get lost - even if you follow someone, you'll most probably turn the wrong corner...

19. - Top - End - #19

Fang

Fang looks around with enthusiastic curiosity. Everytime he had been travelling on ships before, he had a been a passenger or even a hidden stow-away, on route for a mission target. There had been no reason, nor much opportunity, to engage any more closely with the vessels than necessary.

This was different. This would be their home, for the foreseeable future at least, and their base of operations during their travels. He planned to get to know every corner of it eventually, become very familiar with the ancient ship. Not only out of interest and for his personal comfort, but also because it could be the difference between life and death in dangerous situations.

"Hey Stephen, I'm pretty sure you're the only one who is actually authorized to enter this thing, considering you registered for it. Can you tell the ship to give us acess to all the rooms? I really want to explore!"

Where to start, though? The Kithon quickly makes a decision based on instinct, and justifies it afterwards while walking toward his destination. He had learned the very basics of gunnery on his way to New Damascus, with some friendly help from the local weapons crew. He wanted to defend his companions and his ship, both in person as well as in space. It would be a good idea to get to know the wepons systems, and find a suitable stateroom for himself as near the turret controls as possible, so he could be in position quickly in case of emergency. Afterwards, he would scout out a good training location for his daily weapon drills. Maybe an empty hangar?

The laser turret shouldn't be that hard to find, it was in the first big ring after all. But how exactly would he get there? Every corridor looked the same to him...
    Last edited by Battlemage; 2016-04-29 at 04:53 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

BlueKnightGuy

Stephen looks around the ship and heads towards the computer. He raises his finger above the scanner. I am about to take full control of this ship if anyone objects, please tell me now Then his multicom starts blinking and creates a buzzing sound. He sees who it is, wishes that the academia had picked any other member to supervise his grant. and starts typing on the computer. You should all be crew now, feel free to explore the ship. We'll work out the legal stuff later, I have to get this call. He talks to Irix while trying to find a map of the ship on the computer and transfer it to his tablet.
    Last edited by lukitux; 2016-04-27 at 05:12 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

She gave Stephen a thumbs up as she tried to enter Engineering again, her first attempt rejected by the biometric scanners. She had to check the work done. Not that she didn't trust the workers, it was merely a habit from the Academy where the standard was nothing less than perfection, you checked your work twice then all of your partners just in case. Engines first, she had to make sure this old beast could move before she began worrying about where they would be going.

Stepping in she began performing her job, engineering.
    Last edited by The_Admiral; 2016-04-27 at 05:50 PM.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Kora looked around her, and one could clearly see a slight mix of disgust and fear in her eyes for a moment.

"Welp, I think spending some years using nice Navy boats has really skewed my view on what kind of ships are on the market... Anyways, if anyone wants to buckle up with me for some indoor escapadin', please do tell."

She once again started to steer her eyes around the foyer. Kora had not seen anything this dirty since her adventure to salvage two ancient vessels that the forces had lost around 200 years ago. It was a glorious thing to witness, but grimy as hell.

The more Kora thought about the ship the more she grew fond of the idea that there might be many great things to behold not just in their travels, but the Ol' Lady as a whole.

And damn it, as she got her gaze back to the ground, most of the people were gone.

"Can't we have like.... radio phones or something? "
    aah yes, alligators
    ~Extended Signature~

23. - Top - End - #23

Mek'Tar leads the group up the ramp, his excitement swelling up to the point of bursting. Memories flood back... of being hussled onto a ship during his race's exodus from their planet, of entering a new military vessel for the first time, ready for battle and a chance to take any small bit of revenge against the Empire.

The smells of the ship are overwhelming, and his keen senses pick up on every one of them - many would be disgusted or even sickened by these odors, but Mek'Tar relishes them - he immediately feels as if he has found a new home. He sees the doors to engineering, he is impressed momentarily by the upgraded computer, but he doesn't hesitate to walk ahead without the group, as if the cockpit of the ship is calling to him...

It is a long way, with long corridors, a dead end or two - this ship really is immense, he thinks. In the dead silence and darkness he can't help but feel as if he is being watched... it seems impossible, and while his pace slows for a second to look around, it quickens as he sees a way ahead that must lead to the cockpit. He noticeds a few other rooms along the way, but pays them little attention.

And there he finds it... and in that moment, the power switches on, the workstations boot up and front window begins to open.

Mek'Tars feels his heart beating faster as the view from his new home becomes visible...

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Kora runs up to Mek'Tar.

"Hey, what's that ye find? It's so good that you found the switches... This Lady needs some good light, some corners can be dern quirky n' dark."

She sets a slightly more serious tone to her voice.

"How does all of this feel now, chum? Are ye ready to go?"
    Last edited by FinnLassie; 2016-04-28 at 10:19 AM.
    aah yes, alligators
    ~Extended Signature~

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    Kora runs up to Mek'Tar.

"Hey, what's that ye find? It's so good that you found the switches... This Lady needs some good light, some corners can be dern quirky n' dark."

She sets a slightly more serious tone to her voice.

"How does all of this feel now, chum? Are ye ready to go?"
    Mek'Tar wakes up from his daze, obsessed with all of the lights and the view to find that Kora has followed him into the cockpit.

Wish I could say that I did something, but the truth is, I came in here and everything just turned on. I assumed it was one of you that caused it.

Hey, by some chance while you were walking around the ship, did you feel a strange presence? Like you were being watched? Probably nothing.

Mek'Tar tries to pass it off as if it was no big deal.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Kora wasn't the only one following Mek'Tar. The click clacking of his shoes against the ground betraying his entrance.

The deck was magnificent. A true splendor. The way here showed he certainly had a lot of ways to win over the ship. Lots of care and oils needed and available to appease this neglected soul.

"The machine spirits are stronger here within this old vessel. It's expected that they felt our presence. The lights show our course and cause is worthy. A show of acceptance to the new crew."

He starts making rounds through the cockpit. His silent prayers outside the ship now replaced with an audible litany. A clergyman in forgot holy site. There he walks and prays to every nook and cranny. Every device deserving of his respect. For now he shows a greeting of words. In the future he'll show his worship through the duty of maintenance.
    Last edited by Elbeyon; 2016-04-29 at 01:33 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Fang

When he addressed Stephen, the scientist already begun working the computer magic - and so he left. In front of him, Mek'tar walked with his long stride, followed by Kora, who tried to keep up with him. Behind them strode Hector - the silent one. He looked around himself as if he was full of awe.

Fang also stopped by every corner, to take a peek in the darkness, to be sure he missed nothing. This ship intrigued him. He lost sight of the trio quite soon. He passed few double doors marked with the same symbols as the room Jennifer entered, and assumed there was nothing for him. He walked up an upwards ramp and passed an elevator. Behind it was a ladder, which he climbed with the grace of a cat. He stood on the second deck, right next to an entrance to a ring. He remembered seeing the turret in the first big ring. But the entrance has been closed, and the door seemed to be welded.

He then remembered that there were two rings, and decided to venture forward, towards the first ring. He walked for few minutes, turning few corners, when the lights blinked and turned on. The humming started to sound louder, and he found himself in front of another double door. He he entered a large room - huge, in fact. The door led him on a balcony of sorts, in a cylinder-like room - and he saw someone moving down there, at the bottom.

He quickly hid into nearest shadow, his reflexes working before he even noticed who it was.

It was Jennifer, and she was just fixing some kind of valve...

...he must have decided to go back, instead of front.

Stephen

Stephen's fingerprint has been accepted. The screen faded to black and then a logo of Academia appeared. He quickly opened a small window and searched for ship map. He found one - it was at least 40 years old. Amused, he turned to answer the call.

"Ah, Stephen, glad to hear you didn't leave yet. I have something for you. Remember the clause at the bottom of the contract? That you agree that you may be called to assist in Academia research in necessary cases?" Irix sounded - as usually - like a pompous bag of barachan excrements. He didn't wait for Stephen to confirm.
    "Well, turns out we have a situation on our hands. Are you familiar with excavations at Tarandi VI? The small mining planet - well, not important now. It turns out the guy who led the excavation is gone, the miners want the whole stuff back and there were some warnings about pirate activities. So we need you to take the ship, get anything professor Banarsi left there, maybe even arrange continuation of the excavations and if possible find out about his whereabouts. Oh and return the stuff he found with a report at any Academia planet. There is no deadline, but the sooner you get there, the better. "

"Well, got lunch in few minutes, so I'll have to end this call. And watch out for the pirates... don't make Tarandi into second Iridani! Haha..." his laughter sounded dull and hollow, just as the man himself.

A click told him that Irix ended the commcall.

As he looked at the computer screen, it was still initializing. After few moments, the lights started and the ship seemed to hum a bit stronger.

He checked the time on his chronograph. Not half hour passed since he became the "proud owner" and he already got himself into a job he didn't want.

At least Irix sent him the money for the fuel and maintenance... maybe some could be used to make this ship a bit more... palatable.

A loud "ping" announced the system is online. He turned to the computer and saw a virtual face looking back at him. It was one of those greyish, neutral virtual faces that tell you nothing about the programmer or the program. Still, it moved fluently and did not lag...yet.

As he came closer, he noticed "
    Power restored.
    System check in progress.
    Computer system online, reactor online.
    Ship internal sensors fully online. Comms online.
    Power usage at 22% and increasing.
    One message from Irix Dasparian received.
    Voice control activated.
    " written on the screen under the face.

Show
    No ship map . That wouldn't be fun.
    You have time for 1-2 quick questions before Irix ends the call.
    And since we agreed on structured start, this is the first mission. After that, it will be your choice where to continue.

Jennifer

After Stephen gave her the access, she opened the door to manuever drive. The well-known smell of industrial lubricants, steel and heat welcomed her and the labyrinth of machines seemed like a home to her.

Taking a deep breath, she started with her standard routine - double-checking everything.

She quickly reviewed the work they have done on the manuever drive - whoever Grig's people were... and was, in fact, quite satisfied. She just adjusted the particle flow stabilisator and calibrated the neutron turbine accelerator to get a bit more bang for their buck.

On her way back, she re-checked even her own work, when suddenly the full lights switched on. She noticed the room needed cleaning - Grig's boys must have thought they don't pay them enough to clean-up.

She left through the other door, where she expected the power plant or jump drive. Her instinct did not fail her - she entered the power plant room. Quickly checking the stats on the workstation near the door, the power plant was running on 22.73% of its max output - which was fine, since the ship had most of the systems turned off.

Jennifer told herself that she needs to check the power levels during peak times - just to be sure. But there are more important issues currently. She decided to move on to life support as soon as possible, but then noticed a dripping valve. Coolant liquid - a quick check at workstation told her that they must have lost around two gallons of it due to the dripping...

...then she remembered the pool under the ship. It was leaking. And that could be bad.

Show

Ok, as we talked before:
    You can jury-rig it quickly to not leak anymore. Lose around 20-60 minutes, Wit/Mechanics check, difficulty 2 (each net success removes 20 minutes from original 60.
    You can find out where exactly it leaks, what is the issue. Lose more than hour. MA/Engineering Power plant, difficulty 1. Will need some welding done, so you'll need to reroute power and cut off some systems for a moment.
    Or you can ignore it, come back later. Level of coolant liquid is at 99.97%.

Kora

The ship bridge was slowly waking up - the workstations were booting, the lights were on, and the front window already showed the docks - and the ships stationed there.

Kora was quite sure somebody was watching her - it was that clicky guy, Hector. She seemed to recognize some of the things he mumbled - while theology wasn't her primary field of study, when you study cultures and symbolism, you learn about different stuff.

He was a member of Cult Mechanicus - the machine worshippers. These guys believed... Kora had to rummage inside her brain... they believed that only perfect creation was some kind of machine and people were imperfect.

Pff. People are imperfect, she agreed. But a machine god?

And then she remembered. Doctor Hector - the guy from the news. It was some time ago, but she still remembered it. Did he do some experiments...? On live soldiers? She was not compeletely sure, but yes, he wasn't the type you accepted a full anesthesia surgery if you didn't want to wake up with a mechanical limb instead of your ear...or something.

She shrugged, mostly to herself and instead watched Mek'tar. The saurian was still more interesting for her since there were not many present...at least she didn't meet any. Kora immediately caught herself thinking about getting him scanned on a table (autopsy was off-table immediately) - and she immediately pestered herself for even thinking about it.

Instead, she turned to the chairs. Now...which one will be hers?

Show
    Feel free to study a bit about Cult Mechanicus from Warhammer 40,000, so you know what they are about. And since space is large, you heard these things about Hector.

Hector

Hector sensed that the ship was coming alive. He synchronized the rhytm of his words with the beating of its mechanic heart and for a moment lost himself in the prayers.

When he returned to the reality, he saw that Kora was watching - well, for lack of better words - staring at Mek'tar who was slowly moving towards the pilot seat. He himself thought about picking one...

And then he noticed the workstations were already booting up. He caught Mek'tar's question about strange presence and smiled to himself. Yes, the ship was watching them. He was sure about it.

Show
    He noticed the interior sensors and cameras were moving slowly - to catch their movements.

Mek'tar

Behind him, the strange man with clicking boots sang some songs. The girl was watching him, but seemed to have no bad intentions. He felt calm, as he moved towards the pilot chair - his chair, he reminded himself.

He will soon have a chance to prove himself. He knew that.

Show
    Suggestion for first spiritual attribute (SA):
    Drive: Prove himself as greatest pilot.
    You already have Luck as second SA.
    If you agree, assign anything from 0-7 points into these two - you can leave the other points for later attributes.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

It was actually rather tempting, to leave the problem of the leaky coolant for future Jennifer with a few adjustments to the pressure, But no, years of Academy training had drilled this instinct into her, perfection is the standard. A single slipup, a single cut corner could mean the destruction of the ship.

She heads to a wall, climbing the provided foothold and presses the intercom, "Engineering to bridge, I'm diverting power for a fix, you're getting emergency lights for a bit."

She starts working as soon as she gets an acknowledgement of her message.

Spoiler: rollllin
    Show

fixing the leak properly, this ship's design should be weird for anyone, the central ship wasn't designed with gravity in mind so a lot of things that would only make sense to a bird or someone floating around.

(5d10)[4][7][8][10][2](31)

No gravity for you :p

Last edited by The_Admiral; 2016-04-29 at 10:43 PM.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29

Mek'Tar gives Hector a puzzled look, clearly confused. Machine spirits? What have I gotten myself into?, he thinks to himself.

Hector, could you elaborate on that cryptic statement? If there are spirits infesting this ship and watching us, I need to know more, and now. Last thing I need is something trying to take control of the ship when I'm trying to keep us alive.

Even as he said this, Mek'Tar's attention went to the pilot chair, where he took his first seat. It felt... Magical. Warm and inviting. Spirits or not, this was going to be an adventure of a lifetime. He was glad that he had some new friends with him to share that who seemed passionate as well.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Kora thought about Mek'Tar's words for a second before she opened her mouth. She did feel something, but thought about it as nothing really. Discussing with him was always a very pleasant experience, although they hadn't met in the most perfect circumstances.

"I heard nothin'. That's just me though ye know, we spot different things. Yer senses are truly different from mine, you're saurian and I'm human, we briefly talked about th..."

She notices Hector pacing around the room and as his boots clank on the floor (ah, that's what was lurking there!), Kora remembers all of the rumours that had spread about him. Her eyes snapped away from Mek'Tar. Cult Mechanus... it was somewhere in the books, but only rather shortly. Kora wondered if the ship had any access to an Academia database - the possibility isn't that far fetched. Hector's presence was slightly displeasing but Kora had decided not to be too judgeful until she got the proper chance to talk with him. Right now wasn't the best time to interact.

Her thoughts were getting too mangled up with Hector's story and she pinched herself to get back to reality. The saurian had taken his seat whilst she was wondering in her brain.

"So... Mek'Tar, got yer pick then eh?"
    Kora said, and moved to a seat closest to the front view.

You couldn't exactly say Kora was sitting down though, as her legs were hanging off the side of the arm rest and she wiggled for a perfect, snuggly pose in the chair. She tapped her goggles to turn on the magnifier, and began to look around the room, as if she was looking for something specific. She didn't know what, but she knew she had to look for it.

Kora wanted to see it all. Everything, nothing, something, it was out there. And she wanted to be the first one to see.
    Last edited by FinnLassie; 2016-04-30 at 03:42 AM.
    aah yes, alligators
    ~Extended Signature~