New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Deep Space RPG advice

I have been coming up with interesting ideas and encounters for a campaign that takes place in deep space and I was wondering if anyone knew a good system to use for it. I have had the most experience with D20 Future, but I don't know if it is the best to use. I would rather not delve into GURPS, just personal preference.

The idea is that the party will be the crew of a small ship out in space, encounters would mostly take place on the ship. They would have to deal with boarders/stowaways, enemy ships, malfunctions, traders, and navigating debris fields.

I have heard about other space based RPGs, but I haven't had a chance to really read into them. So most of these ideas are based out of D20 future, and If there is an updated version that I should look into or a comparable rule set that is in some way superior, then I will look into that.

I also have a Star Wars RPG, but I don't think it has the right feel to be a star wars campaign.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

ElfPirate

Default Re: Deep Space RPG advice

That sounds perfect for Traveller. If you really want to stay within the D20 system there's Traveller 20, but otherwise Mongoose Traveller is pretty good.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
    I've tallied up all the points for this thread, and consulted with the debate judges, and the verdict is clear: JoeJ wins the thread.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

If you love d20, maybe check out Stars Without Number. Based on D&D with some elements taken from Traveller. Plus it's free.
    "What can change the nature of a man?"
    __
    Guybrush Threepwood avatar by Ceika

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by Comet View Post
    If you love d20, maybe check out Stars Without Number. Based on D&D with some elements taken from Traveller. Plus it's free.
    +1 for SWN. You can decide if you want to use the rules and not the setting, or the setting but not the rules. In any case, it will most likely have some helpful stuff in it that you can use.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    Blue text for sarcasm is an important writing tool. Everybody should use it when they are saying something clearly false.