Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Jade Regent-Kingmaker Hybrid Campaign Recruitment

Well, so much for a snazzy title! 'Emperormaker' just had too many 'er' sounds, you know? Tangent aside, I finally have all the rules and balancing ironed out! Since the people of the forums have waited patiently enough for me to complete this, I will not waste any more time on banter!

Spoiler: Campaign Information
    Show
    The Basic Premise: You are hired by agents serving the current Emperor of Minkai to reclaim an ancient holding in the Forest of Spirits, a castle once owned by the first emperor of Tian Xia. If the PCs can claim the castle, then they will be given a generous stipend, noble titles, and the responsibility of tending to the castle and serving the Emperor's mandates. As those familiar with either AP know (And don't spoil things for those who don't!), the PCs will not be lackeys for long and, as the cogs turn in a dark scheme spanning centuries, the PCs will hold the fate of Tian Xia in their hands.

Things to Expect: Kingdom-building at the end of each 'section', mass combat a few times from about the 3/5 mark to the end, mythic gameplay by the end of what should be book 3, PCs gaining unique and awesome powers, relatively fast and challenging combat, cool roleplay, some nifty puzzles, an amazing storyline that is like something out of a Greek Epic (So to speak,), and more!

What to Expect from Me: Pretty much what every GM SHOULD be expected to do: GM fairly, provide an adequate challenge without causing 'rocks fall' scenarios, behave civilly, and such.

What I Expect from You: Respect all other members 'at the table', don't meta-game, don't tell other people how to play their characters, respect each and every ruling that I make (NO rules-lawyering!), give notice if you are not going to be able to show up or if you decide to drop the game, and just abide by other accepted player behaviors.

How I Made This Campaign: I used a pick-and choose method with the AP modules from the respective APs, fused the portions that fit together with a hefty amount of reskinning and refluffing, changed around several Kingmaker encounters to be more 'Asian', combined the metaplots (And thus eliminated the awful Mary-Sue-Where-Are-You tag-along NPC portions of Jade Regent and the Who-Is-the-Villain element of Kingmaker!), buffed the power level of encounters quite a bit, and added some really cool content. I may or may not have snuck in a certain Ruby Phoenix Tournament module into the campaign someone, albeit with a decidedly more evil GM edge to it. :)

Spoiler: The Big 16
    Show
    1. What game system are you running? Pathfinder with a VERY light sprinkling of 3.X.

2. What is the setting for the game? The world of Golarion, specifically the lands of Tian Xia.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many? 5-6 players will be selected, including the one slotted player who is playing a Bloodlord/Druid. People may make up to three submissions, but only up to one may be selected per player.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)? Play-by-post on these forums.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)? Level 3 gestalt.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with? 1,500 GP.

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes? Almost all 3rd and 1st party Pathfinder material will be allowed, as will select 3.X material. There are a few exceptions, however. I am not allowing technology into this game at all, period. So no Machinesmiths, Gunslingers, Technomancers, or anything of the sort. I am not allowing the Godling classes either, not because they are too strong, but because it would break the flavor of the game.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species? Try to stick with 'typical' Pathfinder fantasy races or those easily themed towards an Asian campaign. I will allow those with planar blood, so long as I do not see an overwhelming amount of them in the recruitment (In which case I will retro-ban them!). PCs cannot be a Goblin, Tree Goblin, Lashunta, Kasaatha, Orc, Android, or similar flavor-breaking race. I will further say that PCs may not use a race that has racial HD, for flavor purposes as well as balance.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points? 28 point buy, no scaling on purchases (Meaning each point you put into an ability score raises it by one. You still cap out at 18+racial modifiers though, so no funny ideas!). HP is maximum per HD.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so? There is no restriction, but bear in mind the premise of the campaign when designing your character, for which see below under campaign information. For obvious reasons, most CE characters are banned, because they're equivalent of honey badgers in terms of how much most of them care. If you are going to be evil, I would much prefer LE, due to it being much more agreeable and SUBTLE than the other two.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it? Yes. Those who multiclass in gestalt can use either standard or fractional stat increases, as the Unchained rules. People may also use the variant multiclassing system if they are so inclined.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them? I will roll all non-PC rolls as well as each PCs initiative, any 'passive' skill checks such as Knowledge to determine creature type and such in combat, any 'secret' rolls for PCs such as Perception checks to spot hidden enemies, PC saving throws, and similar things. PCs will roll most other things. I have this system set up to keep combat running smoothly and to keep PCs from metagaming skill rolls.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules. Just read the home rules section. It is much better arranged.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)? Character background is required and will, in fact, be how I select all players apart from the one slotted player. Your character must be native to Golarion and must be honorable/trustworthy/noteworthy enough for the Emperor to hire them to reclaim a historic castle within the Forest of Spirits. It is MUCH preferred if you create a background in the vein of the '10 Minute Background' system. If you do not know that this is, I can post it.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above? I try to balance a campaign so that it has all things equally.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters? I allow most 1st and 3rd party Pathfinder material, as well as select 3.X material, but would prefer if people simply asked what is legal for use and what is not rather than form an exhaustive list of material allowed and disallowed, as I have a library of over 1,000 PDFs and don't feel like combing each one to form the list. The Psionic, Path of War and Akhashic lines from DSP and the Jade Oath material from Rite Publishing are automatically allowed. The Spheres of Power line is also banned, as is RGG's Dragonrider class.

Spoiler: House Rules
    Show
    Okay, so this list was too monstrous to place in the 'Big 16'. To explain why I added some of the 'natural progression' rules, I have always found it a terrible bore to see magic item slots wasted on things that just provided numerical bonuses so that PCs could 'keep up' statwise. So forget all that noise, now you can wear FUN things in those slots! Sorry for the tangent. Prepare your eyes for lots of text!

1. PCs gain 2 bonus feats at first level and will gain an additional one on those levels where they would normally not gain one due to level up, class bonus feats not counting towards this. Also, see number 5.

2. PCs gain 9 hero points at first level. These hero points do not replenish and, once used, are gone forever. These also have another use. You may use one point to automatically succeed on any save. You may also, upon taking enough damage to normally knock you unconscious or kill you, use a point to ignore regain a number of HP equal to half of your maximum, applied before the damage is calculated. This should keep you from being one-shotted during the campaign if you are frugal with your hero points.

3. Plan for becoming mythic near the end of what would be book 3. If you do not know what mythic is, try to gain at least a rudimentary understanding before that point. I WILL allow Legendary Games excellent mythic material. I am also banning the body bludgeon-limitless range instakill combo from the base rules.

4. Characters gain a 2 traits, have a campaign trait (To be decided when I make my selections,), and may take a drawback for a third trait.

5. Players will, sometime about 1/3 of the way through the campaign (NO SPOILERS!), gain access to a Legacy Item, a unique magic item with a backstory that levels as it's owner does to become an artifact at 20th level. You will need to specify an item type, such as katana, kabuto, censer, sea shell, ect and a general theme, such as fire, battle, honor, ect. I will use that information to generate you a Legacy Item. You may also, upon character creation, request a Legacy Item from me. To gain this, you will need to give up all the bonus feats listed in the first house rule in this spoiler and acknowledge that you will have a set portion cut from 'specialized loot' that I will be tailoring for each character. That took a LOT of playtesting to figure out how to balance, so enjoy that nice addition.

6. Players gain 2 extra skill points, which may only be spent on background skills, as listed here

7.Skill unlocks and stamina from the Unchained rules are allowed. These are available solely to fighters and rogues for free, due to them being slightly underpowered classes.. Others will need to purchase them normally.

*8. There is nor such thing as 'tome of ability score +x' and the 'headband of mental score X' or 'belt of physical score X'. Instead, PCs gain, at 6th level and every 2 levels after, 2 points to split among ability scores as they choose. No ability score may be increased more than twice for every two times that you gain this benefit.

*9. Similarly to number 8, there are no 'Ring of Protection +X'-type items. Instead, PCs gain a +1 untyped bonus to AC at first level and every level divisible by 5, to a maximum of +5 at 20th level. There will be more in the way of extra AC later but not spoiling how you get it. :P

10. I will allow archetypes that normally would not stack due to changing weapon and armor proficiency. Just propose it and I will give you a new weapon and armor proficiency list.

11. Katanas gain an increase of 1 greater threat range than listed for realism purposes. Masterwork and magic katanas weigh half as much and count as light weapons for the purposes of two-weapon fighting, weapon finesse, and similar feats. They also count as light piercing weapons for the purpose of swashbuckler abilities and as monk weapons for purposes of monk powers.

12. All Asian weapons, such as the katana, sai, and naginata, are considered martial weapons. In addition, if you have a weapon type in your possession for more than a month in-game and practice at least an hour with a day with it, you gain proficiency with it.

13. If you have two Psionic classes, your power points combine into a single pool for use.

14. If you are using two Path of War classes, you may utilize a stance from each class simultaneously.

15. If you are using two Akhashic classes, you may meld an item from each class into a single slot.

16. Evil spells, when used for good purposes have no impact on your alignment unless they necessitate evil acts beyond casting the spell or you use them for evil means.

17. Spellcasters may take note that, at some point later in the game, 'Maho', also referred to 'Blood Magic', will be allowed. This allows spellcasters to spill blood in order to apply metamagic feats spontaneously and with no level increase. This has no alignment repercussions if you use your own, but that used from others can be corrupting and dangerous on more than just a moral level. This is my way of finally making metamagic feasible and is something that is used by a few individuals in Tian Xia, so I see no point in disallowing it for PC use once it becomes available.

18. There is no such thing as 'death from massive damage' rules in this campaign. No cheapskate rocket tag for either side beyond what I am putting in place!

19. You may craft items that take a long time during the kingdom building phases in the campaign, so you may take crafting feats.

20. Acrobatics and Swim are combined into the Athletics skill. You may use either STR or DEX for the purposes of this ability, as a case could be made that the base skills could be either.

21. You gain a favored class bonus for two classes, the ones that you select as your first level classes.

*I thought that I would mention something to everyone. There are no flat AC-boosting items in the game, such as Ring of Protection or Amulet of Natural Armor. This is because you are getting the boosts from leveling and from a story element later in the game. Suffice it to say, you will have enough AC to be viable, perhaps more so than most. This also applies to items that grant ability score bonuses and saves.
    Last edited by Ad Victorium; 2016-05-17 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Adding in things accidentally omitted

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Jade Regent-Kingmaker Hybrid Campaign Recruitment

How convenient! Just today I was thinking that I wanted to make a bladebound/kensai magus. I'll get to work on that right away. Would tiefling fit with the feeling you're going for or should I go for another race?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Ok, so this looks ridicuously cool, and I want in.
    Now, I have two questions, since you did say that we should as permission for stuff if we were in doubt.
    There are two things I'd like to as permission for:

- To play a tiefling, more precisely an Oni-spawn.

- I'm thinking about going Warder (zweihander sentinel) on one side, and Stalker on the other. And I'd like to use the stalker archetype called Brutal slayer. It can be found here, in dreamscarred press' expanded archetypes document

My idea is to go the way of the fairly straightforward melee combatant, An Oni-blooded warrior wielding a tetsubo in battle.
    There's more to him than that, of course, but I'll leave that for if I get the first stuff ok'ed.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

An alchemist // wizard seems appropriate to Eastern magic. I'll have to think about the details.

That's an awful lot of feats, I guess so that you can pursue both gestalt classes fully?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Those are going to be some impressively powerful characters with that sort of a starting point. Huh!
    Board-game and XCOM nerd. Furry. Handle with care.

6. - Top - End - #6

PaladinGuy

Tieflings and Path of War material are all allowed for PC-use. Just remember my statement about 'if everyone picks planar races, I will retroactively ban them'.

And yes, bonus feats are there so people can explore their character's possibilities as much as can be had in a non-godhood game.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Sounds pretty cool! Consider me interested as a Kitsune samurai.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Huh. And now it's a thing. Just before I go to bed to.

*Checks to see if I can remember why I wanted what I originally declared interest in*

Nope... I'm thinking Vigilantee//Binder with a martial bent... Maybe even actually being Martial if I decide to grab manuevers.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ad Victorium View Post
    11. Katanas gain an increase of 1 greater threat range than listed for realism purposes. Masterwork and magic katanas weigh half as much and count as light weapons for the purposes of two-weapon fighting.

12. All Asian weapons, such as the katana, sai, and naginata, are considered martial weapons. In addition, if you have a weapon type in your possession for more than a month in-game and practice at least an hour with a day with it, you gain proficiency with it.
    Any flexibility on katanas counting as piercing for swashbuckling purposes?
    Last edited by OzzyKP; 2016-05-17 at 09:59 AM.
    Want to test your mettle in the Irorium Arena? Always accepting new gladiators!

10. - Top - End - #10

PaladinGuy

The Binder class from Radiance House is allowed for PC use.

Katanas can count as piercing for purposes of swashbuckler abilities, although their damage type remains slashing.

11. - Top - End - #11

I think I'll write up a Voidkin Nine-Tailed Kitsune Harbinger... I'm not even sure what I'll cross her with at this point, the initial concept is sounding so fun.

I'd actually have the feats to take additional tails!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Katanas can count as piercing for purposes of swashbuckler abilities, although their damage type remains slashing.
    Awesome, thanks. :)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Posting interest. Will form ideas.
    I currently do not check the playground forums. If you would like to reach me, you can find me on twitter as HTTPaladin.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Posting interest and beginning work on a character sheet. Many ideas... so many ideas. I will write up a character, then figure out how to stat them up.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Actually, there is a feat that does exactly that called "Slashing grace"
    Granted, you need weapon finesse and weapon focus with the chosen weapon to get the feat, but it allows you to use something like a katana for all features that call for one-handed or light piercing weapons, and it lets you use dex for damage instead of str.
    Just thought it worth mentioning.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gremlin-pult View Post
    Actually, there is a feat that does exactly that called "Slashing grace"
    Granted, you need weapon finesse and weapon focus with the chosen weapon to get the feat, but it allows you to use something like a katana for all features that call for one-handed or light piercing weapons, and it lets you use dex for damage instead of str.
    Just thought it worth mentioning.
    Slashing grace also prevents you from using two weapons, which is what I'm going for. :)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Leaning heavily towards a Human Paladin/Ranger who spec's in ranged/mounted combat.

18. - Top - End - #18

Are you letting a masterwork katana count as light for finesse purposes, or just two-weapon fighting?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm. I'm thinking Elven Occultist//Vizier (akashic). Probably Path of the Crafter, maybe Path of the Seer.
    Likely focused on Ranged attacks.

Question: The Hand Cannon veil is supposed to work as a weapon; can it be enhanced by the Occultist's Legacy Weapon ability?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by OzzyKP View Post
    Slashing grace also prevents you from using two weapons, which is what I'm going for. :)
    That it does. I shall be quiet, then.

Ad Victorium:

I'd also like to ask whether the Ki feats from Legendary games are allowed. It'll give me some more fun ways to use my ki pool. Mainly by overpowering/stunning/killing weaker enemies with the sheer power of my Kiai.
    Fits very well with my idea of a power focused character.
    Last edited by gremlin-pult; 2016-05-17 at 11:37 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Submitting Hisato, a Vanara Warpriest//Unchained Monk

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Requesting Beguiler.
    I currently do not check the playground forums. If you would like to reach me, you can find me on twitter as HTTPaladin.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

"Lady of the all seeing eye"

Yukohana is one of the few kitsune born into the world of man, who embraced it, molded it, and warped it to her desires. She's rarely if ever, seen without one of her pipes, gently taking a soft breath of the smoke and letting it waft around her with the scent of cherry blossoms

In terms of people, she is an expert of intrigue and manipulation. She prefers to sit more to side of the leader, giving him advice and guiding him down the path she sees, but let him stay in the spotlight.
    Last edited by Triskavanski; 2016-05-17 at 02:31 PM.
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Hey, I have a snazzy Dwarven Monk/Inquisitor that I've been building, intent on being a zealous initiate of the Moon God(dess). On that note, what's your pantheon?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

Hey all,

Just coming here to let you all know I'm the player of the Bloodlord/Druid. Very nature and fey focused.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Requesting Kung-Fu Genius 3.5 Feat.

makes Monk features INT based instead of WIS based.

If allowed:

Human Unchained Monk//Arcanist

It looks like there will be some intrigue and such going on. How much will we be actually using the Kingmaker mini-game?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

7.Skill unlocks and stamina from the Unchained rules are allowed.
    Are these automatic for all classes? Or do we need to take a feat to unlock them? Or are they just available for rogues/fighters?

28. - Top - End - #28

Another random question - What's the ability modifier going to be for Athletics? Acrobatics is DEX and Swim is STR.

29. - Top - End - #29

PaladinGuy

I am aware of slashing grace, but saw little point in it being necessary when a katana is designed to be wielded gracefully.

The above in mind, it reminds me of a few details that, in my zeal to get the recruitment up, I accidentally omitted. Check the recruitment in the house rules section, as there are a few clarifications and additions that I forgot to place in the original.

Regarding things allowed, kung fu genius, beguiler, and all Far East material by Legendary Games are available for PC use.

As for the Pantheon, there is the base Pathfinder pantheon and there are the deities listed here.

Regarding hand cannon veil, it can be stacked with the occultist's legacy weapon ability. Remember though, firearms are disallowed, so you will need to refluff it somehow.
    Last edited by Ad Victorium; 2016-05-17 at 04:32 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Regarding hand cannon veil, it can be stacked with the occultist's legacy weapon ability. Remember though, firearms are disallowed, so you will need to refluff it somehow.
    Easy enough; other than the name, supposed origin, and the fact that they both do bludgeoning and piercing damage, there's not much in common between the veil and a cannon. Magic arrows, kineticist-style energy blasts, or some such. He'll probably be carrying a bow for longer range attacks, so arrows might work best.