New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Default Describing a Critical Hit without using game terms

Basically my problem is this. I am writing a campaign journal for a campaign I'm in. I'm doing so from an in world 3rd person perspective. In our last session one of the players scored a rather significant critical hit that did not slay the enemy. now if he had killed it I can think of numerable ways to describe it but he really only about halved its health and I can't seem to think of a way to describe such an attack, especially since the enemy was a 15 ft tall grim reaper.
    The designers obviously never spoke with one another

Red Flag master lists
    DMs: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...&postcount=215
    Players: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...&postcount=189

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Describing a Critical Hit without using game terms

[Character] struck a mighty blow, and the fell creature let out an inhuman shriek of agony as its form writhed. Something like blood - if blood were a formless, ichorous substance - spilled from the ragged wound, and though none knew how, all were certain that the thing was greviously wounded.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Although maiming and mutilation is not part of many HP dependent systems, every wound is still, storywise, something that weakens a creature and brings it closer to its demise, and a critical hit weakens a creature significantly.

Speak of things breaking, of grievous bodily deformity. if a later blow was the one that killed it, write how the first blow put the creature in the position to be finished by a later one, or opened a crack in its defenses that turned the tide of battle.

Ex 1: (Char 1)'s blow struck true, ancient bones shattering, forcing the the ghastly apparition to its knees, finally letting (Char 2) plant his blade in its glowing eye socket, ending its unnatural existence.

Ex 2: Realizing that (Char 1)'s blow had robbed the apparition of one of its ghastly, fiery eyes, the rest of the party were quick to take advantage of its new blind spot, and the abomination was soon brought down by their concerted effort.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

The rules don't describe the physical effects of a blow on his body, so focus on the mental effects.

The turning point in the battle was a mighty blow from Peaseblossom. Her powerful cheese grater sliced deeply through the our foe's hide. The Grim Reaper was greatly injured, and we could see in his eyes that he suddenly realized that we were indeed worthy foes. Heartened by this, we redoubled our efforts.

[This would be easier if you'd given us the character's name, and the weapon used.]

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

I thought critical hit means hitting vital or important points. That's why undeads and plants and such are immune to critical hits, they don't have liver to be liver-blowed or nuts to be nutshotted (interestingly, that means legumes are not immune to critical hits)
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    I thought critical hit means hitting vital or important points. That's why undeads and plants and such are immune to critical hits, they don't have liver to be liver-blowed or nuts to be nutshotted (interestingly, that means legumes are not immune to critical hits)
    Mechanically, it merely means double or triple damage. It may be that the justification is that you hit vital points, but you aren't told what they are, and so you cannot report it.

In any case, it doesn't mean that an artery is cut or hamstring sliced, or any other vital point that would cause an immediate effect. It just means you're closer to unconsciousness.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

I would usually describe it as some kind of lucky or skillful attack.
    It always amazes me how often people on forums would rather accuse you of misreading their posts with malice than re-explain their ideas with clarity.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

I'm always fond of the phrase "[character] struck a mortal blow!"

Bonus points in this case given that the opponent was a grim reaper.
    Punster, straight as an aro, collector of hats.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

[Character] swung his sword at the ogres stomach, cut deep into its flesh and came out the other side with giblets and guts hanging from the sword. Blood sprayed as the bowels were hanging out, the ogre pressed his hand against the open wound to stop the bleeding and put his entrails back inside him.

Always emphasize the blood and gore, it's what the character would notice.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

RangerGuy

and Torvald the Barbarian swung his mighty hammer landing a massive blow directly between the legs of Ogre which shrieked in an impossibly high pitch and fell to the ground.

(actually a quote from my DM in a recent session)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

I remember describing a spell sneak attack as the rogue-sorcerer shooting an acid arrow up a dragon's nostril.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

You have a given amount of damage, critical hit or no critical hit. Use a description appropriate to the level of damage done, effects imposed, etc. while ignoring whether a mechanical critical caused them.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

d20 Re: Describing a Critical Hit without using game terms

"It hurts and stings!"
    3e5e : Quintessa's Dweomerdrain (Drain power from a magic item to fuel your spells)
    3e │ 5e : Quintessa's Dweomershield (Protect target from the full effects of a magic item)
    3e │ 5e : Hordling Generator (Edit "cr=" in the address bar to adjust the Challenge Rating)
    3e │ 5e : Battle Sorcerer Tables (For Unearthed Arcana)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

A POWERFUL BLOW!

His sword clove thro' helm and bone, near to the brainpan!

His blade cut the neck. Blood poured forth in streams.

The blow staggered and confounded him. Surely such a blow would have killed a lesser man thrice o'er, but still the reaper stands, his posture wavering. Another blow like that, and he would surely fall.

Skull cracked, the reaper bent, and tiny pieces flew about! A great and powerful blow, the likes of which should have fell the reaper, but lo! Fate would not permit such quick victory, and the dread psychopomp righted himself with broken head held high, silent and defiant as ever.

The fire in the skeleton's eyes wavered for a moment, as if the monster was near death, for it seemed that vital force had left him a second.
    Last edited by Slipperychicken; 2016-05-24 at 02:24 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

For brave Macbeth—well he deserves that name—
    Disdaining fortune, with his brandished steel,
    Which smoked with bloody execution,
    Like valor’s minion carved out his passage
    Till he faced the slave;
    Which ne'er shook hands, nor bade farewell to him,
    Till he unseamed him from the nave to th' chops,
    And fixed his head upon our battlements.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Kami2awa, that's a Bard rolling a nat 20 on a Craft (Poetry) check!
    Last edited by goto124; 2016-05-25 at 07:09 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

On "normal" beings where hit points are mostly plot armor, the crits are the ones that actually draw blood. I'd run a "first blood" duel as down to half hit points (oh "bloodied," you wonderful concept!) or to the first crit.

On the giant reaper monster, this is where you smash some ribs and tear away part of the ragged shadowcloak, revealing the moaning maelstrom of lost souls that dwells within its chest.

For meatier monsters, describe them as they are - big hits. You poked something juicy, or got a deep cut, or set one of its heads on fire for a little bit. If it survives, there will be a scar. Chopping off extra limbs and poking out eyes is a fun add-on here.
    Why yes, Warlock is my solution for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by obryn View Post
    Active Abilities are great because you - the player - are demonstrating your Dwarvenness or Elfishness. You're not passively a dwarf, you're actively dwarfing your way through obstacles.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by goto124 View Post
    Kami2awa, that's a Bard rolling a nat 20 on a Craft (Poetry) check!
    It was a hit, after all. Arguably a critical one.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    It was a hit, after all. Arguably a critical one.
    Certainly, a very palpable one.
    Why yes, Warlock is my solution for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by obryn View Post
    Active Abilities are great because you - the player - are demonstrating your Dwarvenness or Elfishness. You're not passively a dwarf, you're actively dwarfing your way through obstacles.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

I've always been partial to 'a sickening blow' for some reason.
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika