New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default I Just Got Into An Argument With My Co-Worker

Today at my job. My co-worker and I was having an discussion about Wi-Fi Outside with my phone. I told him that I can only get Wi-fi outside because I use an older Blu smartphone. But he didn't believe me and said that I can't get Wi-Fi outside, it's only for indoor and public areas. He also said that only data can get outside not wi-fi. Seriously I know what wi-fi and data does. My phone doesn't work at home and at my job because it got terrible wi-fi signal. So what does anybody else think about this argument?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: I Just Got Into An Argument With My Co-Worker

Sometimes you just have to let them live in ignorance. It isn't worth arguing over.
    Currently Playing: NICELA LASERIE (Neutral Good) Female Gray Elf Fire Souled Half Nymph Elven Generalist Wizard 20 /// PF Bard 1 / Paladin of Freedom 2 /PF Bard +17

AND .......

FERGUS MADROAR (Chaotic Good) Male Dwarf Half Earth Elemental

Cloistered Cleric (Hanseath) 5 / Divine Oracle 6 / Contemplative 9 /// Paladin of Freedom 20

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ghostshadow View Post
    Sometimes you just have to let them live in ignorance. It isn't worth arguing over.
    Pretty much.

Alternatively you could prove your point by taking him outside and showing that it works.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post
    Alternatively you could prove your point by taking him outside and showing that it works.
    Except he already said his phone *doesn't* work on the Wi-Fi at work, so that might be a bit tricky.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

I am afraid you have to let the technological inept co-worker live with his ignorance until proof is enough to sway his mind, otherwise its not worth "educating" such people unless its necessary. So keep in mind that your time is more valuable than his knowledge.

Not every battle is worth fighting.
    Last edited by DracoknightZero; 2016-12-01 at 03:51 AM.
    Spoiler: Currently DMing:
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Ok I understand. My co-worker is a friend of mine. But sometimes he such a fool for such faulty knowledge.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Ok I understand. My co-worker is a friend of mine. But sometimes he such a fool for such faulty knowledge.
    We all have friends who are idiots for various reasons. Even ones who are otherwise smart will inevitably do something that shocks us with its stupidity. I guarantee it.

Surprise! Your friends and co-workers aren't perfect people. (They're not me, for starters.)

What you do is decide - in that moment - whether it's more important to be right, or to be friends. And if you choose the latter, you suck up the fact that everyone you know will have frustrating imperfections that grate on your sanity, each day rubbing the wound raw with their infuriating lack of ideal qualities, as every moment spent with them drives that wriggling worm of doubt deeper and deeper into your brain, until-

... Ahem. Just learn to deal, is my point.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ghostshadow View Post
    It also helps if you let them purchase their happiness.
    I do not think the way you think. If you try to apply your own mindset to the things I say, there will be miscommunications. If something I say seems odd to you or feels like it's missing steps, ask for clarification. I'm not some unreasonable, unknowable entity beyond your mortal comprehension, I'm just autistic and have memory problems.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    We all have friends who are idiots for various reasons. Even ones who are otherwise smart will inevitably do something that shocks us with its stupidity. I guarantee it.

Surprise! Your friends and co-workers aren't perfect people. (They're not me, for starters.)

What you do is decide - in that moment - whether it's more important to be right, or to be friends. And if you choose the latter, you suck up the fact that everyone you know will have frustrating imperfections that grate on your sanity, each day rubbing the wound raw with their infuriating lack of ideal qualities, as every moment spent with them drives that wriggling worm of doubt deeper and deeper into your brain, until-

... Ahem. Just learn to deal, is my point.
    Fine. I'll learn to deal with it and accept his happiness of denial.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Honestly it depends on your relationship with your coworker imo. I have some that I would argue this sort of thing with (when we're off the clock) others I wouldn't. If the coworker is the type of person who doesn't get upset debating something, I say go ahead and show them. Otherwise, as the others said it isn't worth the trouble.
    Dascarletm, Spinner of Rudiplorked Tales, and Purveyor of Puns
    Thanks to Artman77 for the avatar!
    Extended Signature

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

I see two options here.

One being take a smart phone, prove that the data connection is off, and walk outside with wi-fi, bam done. Point proved.

Second being, is this REALLY an argument you need? You did say they were your friend, right? I've always been a fan of the feeling of smug superiority gleaned from being right when someone else is wrong. Especially because almost invariably you will have a conversation eventually that goes something like "You remember that data argument we had? Yeah, you were right. Sorry."

Then again, my co-workers and I freely admit mistakes because assigning blame does not help a workplace move forward.

The sooner one can filter ignorance in the workplace, the sooner one can be truly enlightened.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dascarletm View Post
    Honestly it depends on your relationship with your coworker imo. I have some that I would argue this sort of thing with (when we're off the clock) others I wouldn't. If the coworker is the type of person who doesn't get upset debating something, I say go ahead and show them. Otherwise, as the others said it isn't worth the trouble.
    Well he's not the type of person who's like to argue for a living.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Proving that you're right and he's wrong might not be more important in the grand scheme of things than to make sure you don't poison your relation with him by being an ass.

Some battles are worth fighting, some aren't. Depends entirely on the context.

If you two were business partners about to take a big decision based on that, then sure, you can't let him be wrong, even if you have to unpleasantly argue about it until one concedes defeat.

Or even if, say, you two are both phone salesmen, then for his sake it might be worth it to politely insist on helping him get his facts straight.
    Offer good while supplies last. Two to a customer. Each item sold separately. Batteries not included. Mileage may vary. All sales are final. Allow six weeks for delivery. Some items not available. Some assembly required. Some restrictions may apply. All entries become our property. Employees not eligible. Entry fees not refundable. Local restrictions apply. Void where prohibited. Except in Indiana.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

You could say, "Hey, buddy. Let me *prove* it to you that wifi can work outside." Then prove to do so. Doesn't seem confrontational or anything. Your buddy might thank you.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

15. - Top - End - #15
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Today at my job. My co-worker and I was having an discussion about Wi-Fi Outside with my phone. I told him that I can only get Wi-fi outside because I use an older Blu smartphone. But he didn't believe me and said that I can't get Wi-Fi outside, it's only for indoor and public areas. He also said that only data can get outside not wi-fi. Seriously I know what wi-fi and data does. My phone doesn't work at home and at my job because it got terrible wi-fi signal. So what does anybody else think about this argument?
    The real question is why your phone works on wifi outside but not inside when it is presumably much closer to the access point with less obstacles (like the walls of the building the router is in).

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    The real question is why your phone works on wifi outside but not inside when it is presumably much closer to the access point with less obstacles (like the walls of the building the router is in).
    Well I check my phone again, now it working everywhere. I apologized with my co-worker about it.