New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Aegis J Hyena's Super Hyena Fun Show: Random Banter Thread #215

I was supposed to do about 50km of recreational cycling this week...

Spoiler
    Show

FML.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

2. - Top - End - #332
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

That's pretty much what the weather's been like in the UK...I actually managed to get outside and mow my lawn yesterday, for the first time in (I think) three weeks? Hate mowing lawns at the best of time because it always triggers my hay fever, but when it's that long it's an especially annoying thing to do.

3. - Top - End - #333

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    But I'm pretty sure that you're still going to be taking home at least 10 million from a 449 million payout, even in the harshest of tax regimes?
    My understanding was that you should take your winnings and, at a very hopeful estimate, assume you're going to get half of that.

Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    I was supposed to do about 50km of recreational cycling this week...

Spoiler
    Show

FML.
    Well...I mean that's not your fault. Maybe pick up an eliptical machine so you can cycle at home?

4. - Top - End - #334
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    My understanding was that you should take your winnings and, at a very hopeful estimate, assume you're going to get half of that.
    I learnt the other day that lottery winnings are 100% tax free in Australia. This was direct from an official in the tax office at a business presentation they were holding.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

5. - Top - End - #335

BlackDragon

So you ought to agree with Aegis that a $449 million payout should be plenty to live on the rest of your life, surely? I'm confused now.

6. - Top - End - #336

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    I learnt the other day that lottery winnings are 100% tax free in Australia. This was direct from an official in the tax office at a business presentation they were holding.
    Same thing up in Canada! Hell yeah.

So you ought to agree with Aegis that a $449 million payout should be plenty to live on the rest of your life, surely? I'm confused now.
    Keep in mind I said "a very hopeful estimate". As in, a best case scenario. It often is not a best case scenario. In addition, most people in America don't REALIZE they get taxed on their winnings, and thus spend a lot of it as if they got free money, so when it comes time to pay those taxes...they don't HAVE the money.

Additionally some rewards are giving in lump sums every x months, wheras taxes affect the whole total and not just the individual lumps you get. Also, 224.5 million dollars IS quite a lot, but I don't think you could comfortably live for the rest of your life on just that. Maybe I'm just underestimating it.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Titan in the Playground

I spent the weekend hiking out with Secret Society. 20 km of walking both days, over clearcuts and marshland and even a not-so-dry mud ditch in heavy rain, and over good roads in bright sunlight, with food and drink and a nice, inviting lake inbetween. When I got back, I managed a long shower before I collapsed in bed and slept for 11 hours straight (it was intended as a nap). It was really nice, though. My body is stiff from the hips down and my feet hurt and I regret nothing.

ION:
    I actually woke up perfectly for a job interview I was having with SAAB Group today. It went really well, I must say I'm a lot more interested in this job than i was initially. However, this also means I may have to accelerate my plans to look for different jobs, lest I'll suddenly stand at a decision point with a feeling that no matter which option I'll choose, I'll regret not checking out what's down the other road as well...

EDIT:
    Also, 224.5 million dollars IS quite a lot, but I don't think you could comfortably live for the rest of your life on just that. Maybe I'm just underestimating it.
    Assuming the winner is pretty young and will live on for another 75 years, that's 3 million dollars a year. If you can't live comfortably on that, your standards are probably a bit too high.
    Last edited by Teddy; 2016-07-04 at 11:35 AM.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

8. - Top - End - #338

I don't think anyone's disputing that you can live quite comfortably on the winnings if you manage it well. But, keep in mind that when many people get a sudden windfall they do not know what to do with it or how to handle it. Due to a lack of experience handling such a large amount of money, they mismanage it.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

9. - Top - End - #339
    Firbolg in the Playground

What. Whut. Where on earth have you been? Also, hi!
    What Zodi said is correct.

He's been a soulja boi.
    Well, sort of. I'm a marine, not a soldier. Soldiers are in the army, people in the Marine Corps are just marines. I was in boot camp for three months, where access to any contact with the outside world (except for letters) is nonexistent. So nowadays I look less like this and more like this, and I spend my time getting used to normal things again. Boot camp is very...weird. It's a strange nonsense world that is extremely useful, but also so utterly different from everything else that normal things become unfamiliar. Like typing on a keyboard.
    Last edited by DraPrime; 2016-07-04 at 06:38 PM.
    "Love takes up where knowledge leaves off."
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

10. - Top - End - #340
    Ettin in the Playground

You went through boot-camp? Are you a bodak yet, or are you still alive?
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DraPrime View Post
    Well, sort of. I'm a marine, not a soldier. Soldiers are in the army, people in the Marine Corps are just marines. I was in boot camp for three months, where access to any contact with the outside world (except for letters) is nonexistent. So nowadays I look less like this and more like this, and I spend my time getting used to normal things again. Boot camp is very...weird. It's a strange nonsense world that is extremely useful, but also so utterly different from everything else that normal things become unfamiliar. Like typing on a keyboard.
    Aww, second link won't open. My browser has no idea of how to open "blob" links (whatever those are), so I can't see Nu DP...

Show

12. - Top - End - #342

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    You went through boot-camp? Are you a bodak yet, or are you still alive?
    Full on bodak.

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    Aww, second link won't open. My browser has no idea of how to open "blob" links (whatever those are), so I can't see Nu DP...
    Perhaps this link is better? I'll try to fix it in my other post. Incidentally, the first picture is from the same burger place we ate in near Harvard Square, if you remember.

edit: Actually, this might be a better example of how I look. However, the Iwo Jima Monument is a better setting than the rack that I slept in, so it's not quite as pretty as the first picture.
    Last edited by DraPrime; 2016-07-04 at 06:42 PM.
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

13. - Top - End - #343

NecromancerGuy

You didn't die in training, from a mess hall shivving, or get shipped to Alaska with no air holes in your crate, so that's good. Y'know, on the whole.

Though I thought the joke was that the Army didn't even have any soldiers anymore, that's why we have the Marines do everything.

Welcome back to civilization. Ish.

Man though, I'd thought that you were past the age that you could enlist as a devil dog.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

14. - Top - End - #344

What Zodi said is correct.

Full disclosure I was just setting up a Soulja Boi reference even though I knew like 90% of this forum would either not get it or wouldn't take the chance of continuing it if they did know.

Soulja boi tell it.

15. - Top - End - #345

NecromancerGuy

Full disclosure I was just setting up a Soulja Boi reference even though I knew like 90% of this forum would either not get it or wouldn't take the chance of continuing it if they did know.

Soulja boi tell it.
    I got it, I just still think it's surprising that you have that much of an interest in it.

Plus it just sorta is what it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

16. - Top - End - #346

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    I got it, I just still think it's surprising that you have that much of an interest in it.

Plus it just sorta is what it is.
    I just thought it'd be funny.

17. - Top - End - #347

BlackDragon

Perhaps this link is better?
    Wow. Trainee priest to Marine is a pretty darned unusual career progression, if you don't mind me saying!

18. - Top - End - #348
    Troll in the Playground

I got it

But I'm old.

I'm a marine, not a soldier.
    Whoa, dude. Good on ya. It's quite a career change, though, yeah 0_o

Also, welcome back to the world!

Also also, nice Sonata Arctica shirt in that one pic

So, my flatmate moved out. Moving in with her boyfriend, sigh. Who even does that, really Left me with a mostly empty flat, which I've been restocking this weekend. Spent so much money. My wallet is crying right now.

On the upside, I'm finally alone again
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

19. - Top - End - #349

He's been a soulja boi.
    He was a soulja boi, she said see you later boi.

20. - Top - End - #350
    Troll in the Playground

I had no idea what soulja boi meant... weird term. But I guess it works?
    aah yes, alligators
    ~Extended Signature~

21. - Top - End - #351

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    He was a soulja boi, she said see you later boi.
    I had no idea what soulja boi meant... weird term. But I guess it works?
    Soulja boy up in it yo.

22. - Top - End - #352

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    You didn't die in training, from a mess hall shivving, or get shipped to Alaska with no air holes in your crate, so that's good. Y'know, on the whole.

Though I thought the joke was that the Army didn't even have any soldiers anymore, that's why we have the Marines do everything.

Welcome back to civilization. Ish.

Man though, I'd thought that you were past the age that you could enlist as a devil dog.
    The whole "don't call me a soldier thing" is really old. I think it originates from the fact that the technical term for a service member varies by branch. People in the navy are sailors, airmen in the air force, soldiers in the army, and therefore marines in the Corps. So marines being the disgruntled and proud bunch that they are started taking issue with being called soldiers, never mind the fact that technically it's not incorrect, or that our recruiting posters used to say "soldiers of the sea." Also, the maximum enlistment age is 28, though you can get a waiver for that. It's not likely you would though, since the military is downsizing. I'm only 24 years old, so I had no trouble enlisting.

As for shivving the chow hall, I mostly just saw people get screamed at a lot by the drill instructors, leading to some rather amusing moments. As I went to get a drink I saw some other recruit standing in front of a blank wall, yelling "AYE AYE SIR!" at it over and over again. What he did to deserve this punishment, I don't know, but it was incredibly funny to watch. That is, until it happens to you, as is usually the case in boot camp.

Soulja boi tell it.
    I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

Wow. Trainee priest to Marine is a pretty darned unusual career progression, if you don't mind me saying!
    Mhm. I left seminary a couple years ago. Found that normal life did not appeal to me, so I went looking for something crazy to do. Seems that I found it.

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    Whoa, dude. Good on ya. It's quite a career change, though, yeah 0_o

Also, welcome back to the world!

Also also, nice Sonata Arctica shirt in that one pic
    Thanks! Sadly the shirt is too big for me now. I lost a lot of weight in boot camp.
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

23. - Top - End - #353
    Troll in the Playground

I love how I'm finding Paypal scam-spam e-mails from my spam bin... and I don't even have a paypal account.

Also yay for Finnish bands. FINLAND IS BEST-EST.
    aah yes, alligators
    ~Extended Signature~

24. - Top - End - #354

I love how I'm finding Paypal scam-spam e-mails from my spam bin... and I don't even have a paypal account.

Also yay for Finnish bands. FINLAND IS BEST-EST.
    So silly, these spam artists are. They should be sending ME spam email for me to ignore while I slowly accrue money from my Patreon.

I forget the name of the band since I'm awful but I linked you to that one song "In The Shadows" and it was really great and you told me they were Finnish so I agree!

25. - Top - End - #355
    Troll in the Playground

I forget the name of the band since I'm awful but I linked you to that one song "In The Shadows" and it was really great and you told me they were Finnish so I agree!
    The Rasmus. Honestly, in around the turn of the century Finland was just throwing song hits here and there. Some were just one hit wonders abroad, some not. DARUDE SANDSTORM
    aah yes, alligators
    ~Extended Signature~

26. - Top - End - #356
    Titan in the Playground

Mhm. I left seminary a couple years ago. Found that normal life did not appeal to me, so I went looking for something crazy to do. Seems that I found it.
    Levels in a melee class and a cleric class... Planning on taking a warpriest prestige class or something?
    Man, that's an old song.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

The RasmusDARUDE SANDSTORM
    Wow that brings me back... If you're into metal I would suggest Amorphis
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?
    To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

28. - Top - End - #358

Quote Originally Posted by TaiLiu View Post
    Levels in a melee class and a cleric class... Planning on taking a warpriest prestige class or something? :smalltongue;
    And more levels in...ummm...I don't know, my job as a Marine is to fix aircraft electronics. That's got to be levels in something, even if I don't know what.
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

29. - Top - End - #359
    Ettin in the Playground

Full on bodak.
    Did your undeath give you the ability to speak Abyssal, or does that not happen to Benign Bodaks that are purely the result of torture? If you learned to speak Abyssal, could you please translate the phrase "don't raid my fridge again" into it? I figure my roommates, who are favored by Zuggtmoy, would listen marginally better if I adress them in their native language.
    And more levels in...ummm...I don't know, my job as a Marine is to fix aircraft electronics. That's got to be levels in something, even if I don't know what.
    Artificer?
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Titan in the Playground

Perhaps this link is better? I'll try to fix it in my other post. Incidentally, the first picture is from the same burger place we ate in near Harvard Square, if you remember.

edit: Actually, this might be a better example of how I look. However, the Iwo Jima Monument is a better setting than the rack that I slept in, so it's not quite as pretty as the first picture.
    Who is this alien and what have you done to the real DP?!

And I do indeed remember. Hard to forget details from that journey.

Expert. Everything which doesn't require a BAB is probably an Expert in today's world.

Show