New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Aegis J Hyena's Super Hyena Fun Show: Random Banter Thread #215

Oh, forgot to ask, Rawhide, were the temperatures proper in the sauna? Like around 80°C - 100°C?

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Psion View Post
    Absolutely beautiful morning. Too bad there are thunderstorms this afternoon, especially considering that every lawn is a marsh here at the moment, with standing water.
    Oh my... I am super jealous of the thunderstorms. I love thunderstorms. GIMME GIMME GIMME

ION: Going to Suomenlinna tomorrow, which is a fort island off the coast of Helsinki. I had a 5am wake up call yesterday, and in the bus I realised that I took 0 socks with me and wasn't wearing any whilst on the bus. On top of that I forgot to take my jacket with me, and it's going to be super windy... plus it's rather cool and rainy too.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

2. - Top - End - #122
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post

ION: Going to Suomenlinna tomorrow, which is a fort island off the coast of Helsinki. I had a 5am wake up call yesterday, and in the bus I realised that I took 0 socks with me and wasn't wearing any whilst on the bus. On top of that I forgot to take my jacket with me, and it's going to be super windy... plus it's rather cool and rainy too.
    Oof...good luck staying dry Finn x_x

3. - Top - End - #123
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Oof...good luck staying dry Finn x_x
    At least the museums on the island are open for free tomorrow for some reason, so it'll be easy to get out of the rain whilst educating myself.
    aah yes, alligators
    ~Extended Signature~

4. - Top - End - #124
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Oh, forgot to ask, Rawhide, were the temperatures proper in the sauna? Like around 80°C - 100°C?
    I don't know for sure, the temperature gauge was broken . However, I do believe so.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

5. - Top - End - #125
    Dwarf in the Playground

Errare humanum est
    Live long and Prosper
    May the force be with you

6. - Top - End - #126
    Barbarian in the Playground

Whew. Finished the current stage of my Civilization game over in the games threads, and it took -two- giant posts (one for the turn, one for the aftereffects).

Taking a well deserved week off after that one, especially after all those rolls turned in the heroes' favor, making me have to write more. Heh. :P

7. - Top - End - #127
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    I don't know for sure, the temperature gauge was broken . However, I do believe so.
    Awwwh what a shame. But yeah. My mum's sauna gauge is also broken and only reaches 60°C even though I know and can feel that it's around 80°C or 90°C. My previous housemates only liked the sauna around 60°C (what are they, savages?!) and it was a pain to go to sauna with them.

... also, where the heck did you find yourself a Finnish sauna?
    aah yes, alligators
    ~Extended Signature~

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

"It's useless to stand there and cry. I should be the one crying instead! Because you can't follow instructions! Stop being so stubborn! All you have to do is listen to me!"

My dad swings between "Why don't you have any intiative?" and "Don't think! No need to think! Just follow instructions! No need to do anything more than what I tell you!"

There're actually a lot more swear words in what he says, sometimes followed by "See, you make me scold so many bad words! I've never had to scold this many bad words in my life!".

I'm not sure how to end this post-

"I wish I had 4 boys in my life [instead of 4 girls]!"

Reminds me of the times my dad makes a misogynist joke, then says "Oi, we're family and it's a joke, don't look at me like that".

9. - Top - End - #129

Quote Originally Posted by goto124 View Post
    Reminds me of the times my dad makes a misogynist joke, then says "Oi, we're family and it's a joke, don't look at me like that".
    Jeez...that sounds rough. You can get through this, don't worry.

Meanwhile: New Zelda LP begins oh man. Hope people enjoy it.

10. - Top - End - #130

NecromancerGuy

...Wait. 100 degrees C is the boiling point of water. How do you survive being in a sealed room which is that hot?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    ...Wait. 100 degrees C is the boiling point of water. How do you survive being in a sealed room which is that hot?
    Even 40 C is kind of surprising, considering that is (IIRC) the point at which most internal organs shut down.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2016-06-06 at 12:19 PM.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Troll in the Playground

... by showering and doing all the washing in-between, not forgetting to have a bit of a drink? Honestly, it's not that bad. I usually lay down or sit in the sauna for about 10-15mins at a time and then have a break.
    aah yes, alligators
    ~Extended Signature~

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ettin in the Playground

I can barely handle being somewhere with a temperature of 21-27 Celsius.

And since I forgot to say it originally:
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ettin in the Playground

The hotter the sauna, the drier. This reduces thermal conductivity and makes the temperature bearable instead of boiling the flesh from your bones.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    I have an idea for a supervillain: -snip- "shmungo" will never be explained.
    What do people think?
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

16. - Top - End - #136

BlackDragon

Even 40 C is kind of surprising, considering that is (IIRC) the point at which most internal organs shut down.
    If your core body temperature goes above 40C then you're suffering severe hyperthermia, which is life threatening, but your body is pretty good at regulating its temperature--you'd have to be in that sauna for quite a while before you ran the risk of elevating your core temperature to dangerous levels. Otherwise, nobody would be able to go outside in Qatar and similar places in summer!

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ettin in the Playground

What do people think?
    Neat quirk, but "control everything" isn't much of a driving character motive yet, so keep building. Make it happen!

18. - Top - End - #138
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Awwwh what a shame. But yeah. My mum's sauna gauge is also broken and only reaches 60°C even though I know and can feel that it's around 80°C or 90°C. My previous housemates only liked the sauna around 60°C (what are they, savages?!) and it was a pain to go to sauna with them.
    The instructions indicated that the sauna was thermostatically controlled and would reach temperatures over 180*F (~82*C). It was one of those hot rock heaters you poured water over to make steam.

... also, where the heck did you find yourself a Finnish sauna?
    At the apartment I stayed at in Brisbane! There was a pool, spa (hot tub), and sauna. You had to enter and walk through the ammenities building (toilet/shower/change room) via either the male or female rooms, then it had a door in each section to a combined unisex sauna.

... by showering and doing all the washing in-between, not forgetting to have a bit of a drink? Honestly, it's not that bad. I usually lay down or sit in the sauna for about 10-15mins at a time and then have a break.
    I did the Sauna -> Cold Shower -> Sauna -> Reasonable Shower path. Somewhere around 20-25 minutes each sauna step.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

What do people think?
    I like it!

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Sweating. When water evaporates, it cools down the surroundings, so if you constantly envelope something in a thin layer of water, it can withstand surprisingly high temperatures. And that's exactly what your body is doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    The instructions indicated that the sauna was thermostatically controlled and would reach temperatures over 180*F (~82*C). It was one of those hot rock heaters you poured water over to make steam.
    The actual temperature you'll get is highly dependent on where the thermostat is located in the sauna, though. On our last skiing holiday, our hut had a sauna with the thermostat located too high up on the wall, so the sauna heater turned off too early and wouldn't turn on as colder air started to fill up the sauna from the bottom...

ION:
    Today I had my first swim of the year, and in the sea no less. I was doing it to try out a wetsuit, though, so it's not like the temperature was any problem. On the contrary, I was equally surprised and delighted by how warm it felt, so I got kinda caught up in the swimming portion of it and didn't want to stop.

The only disadvantage (apart from a slight reduction of mobility) is that wetsuits are pretty buoyant, so it's hard to swim under water without weights, or even at all, really. Swimming on your back works pretty efficiently, though, so you're no entirely without means of propellation...

IRN:
    Apart from swimming, I've also been jumping up and down cliffs and running over cobblestone (of the natural kind). It was this kind of nature in which I have a very hard time sitting still, I just have to go everywhere, even if doing so should technically be impossible.
    Last edited by Teddy; 2016-06-06 at 06:50 PM.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ettin in the Playground

I just ate some Letter K surrounded by Yellow Foot-WD40.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

22. - Top - End - #142

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    Sweating. When water evaporates, it cools down the surroundings, so if you constantly envelope something in a thin layer of water, it can withstand surprisingly high temperatures. And that's exactly what your body is doing.
    So you're saying it's Scandinavian Black Magic? OK.

SION:
    Today I had my first swim of the year, and in the sea no less. I was doing it to try out a wetsuit, though, so it's not like the temperature was any problem. On the contrary, I was equally surprised and delighted by how warm it felt, so I got kinda caught up in the swimming portion of it and didn't want to stop.

The only disadvantage (apart from a slight reduction of mobility) is that wetsuits are pretty buoyant, so it's hard to swim under water without weights, or even at all, really. Swimming on your back works pretty efficiently, though, so you're no entirely without means of propellation...

IRN:
    Apart from swimming, I've also been jumping up and down cliffs and running over cobblestone (of the natural kind). It was this kind of nature in which I have a very hard time sitting still, I just have to go everywhere, even if doing so should technically be impossible.
    I am so totally jells right now. Totally.

I honestly can't remember if Swedish waters right up on the coast are supposed to be hypothermic even during summer, is that commonly the case?

I had a brief moment of horror as I contemplated whether Sweden has any places where you can walk from the shore into the ocean before I realized that this had to have been the case for all that vikinging to happen.

I just ate some Letter K surrounded by Yellow Foot-WD40.
    Just never wash down raw potassium with water, K?
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2016-06-07 at 12:01 AM.
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

23. - Top - End - #143

You can tell it's summer when you get mosquito bites. I've gotten three from one ****ing bug and I want to set all of existance on fire.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

I am so totally jells right now. Totally.

I honestly can't remember if Swedish waters right up on the coast are supposed to be hypothermic even during summer, is that commonly the case?
    Define "hypotermic". If you mean "Teddy could get hypothermia from staying too long in it", I think that's true for most seas...

I had a brief moment of horror as I contemplated whether Sweden has any places where you can walk from the shore into the ocean before I realized that this had to have been the case for all that vikinging to happen.
    I'm not entirely sure about where you're going to find a shore where you can't walk into the ocean. Unless you mean those cliff coasts where geting down to the water is a hassle, in which case I understand what you mean, and no, we don't really have those anywhere in our long country.

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    You can tell it's summer when you get mosquito bites. I've gotten three from one ****ing bug and I want to set all of existance on fire.
    When mosquitos come around, you can do one of two things. Either slather yourself with mosquito repellant and hope for it to stay effective, or just accept the situation and hope to eventually develop an immunity. I usually go down the second road, it tends to lead to less hassle for me.

ION:
    Today I found this. As a Scandinavian, I must call this glorious!
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

25. - Top - End - #145

When mosquitos come around, you can do one of two things. Either slather yourself with mosquito repellant and hope for it to stay effective, or just accept the situation and hope to eventually develop an immunity. I usually go down the second road, it tends to lead to less hassle for me.
    I am genuinely someone who will one day smash a hole in the wall trying to remove a mosquito. Also option 3: get after-bite cream.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amidus Drexel View Post
    Aw, poor foreigners - whatever shall we do to amuse ourselves in the meantime?

On an unrelated note - welcome back! You were greatly missed!

--
    ION: Mom's up visiting for the weekend, so that's been nice. We went on a nice long walk yesterday (not as long as I would've liked, but she'd been running in the morning and it was getting late by the time we got back, so we probably timed it about right as it was). I imagine she and my sister intend to take me out somewhere nice for food today, but I might be able to con them into going somewhere cheap regardless.
    Hello Amidus! Nice to see you, thanks! There are other things to which I will lower myself for the amusement of foreigners -- what's your fancy? Do you like your Canadians like you like your restaurants?

ION:

IRN:
    These things are wholesome and just what I'd like to be doing. Unfortunately I feel a bit gunshy after injuring my tailbone last summer while cliff-jumping and not being able to sit down comfortably for weeks. And just to anticipate any comedians, I'm not as used to that as you might expect.

I will be heading to the East Coast in a few weeks, with a long-desired chance to swim in the Atlantic Ocean. I...I hadn't really thought about the water temperature before. Am I going to die without a wetsuit?

ION:
    What the **** did I just read?

So Anglish is stripped of any Latin-derived morphology and lexicon? I love it.

27. - Top - End - #147

Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post

What the **** did I just read?

So Anglish is stripped of any Latin-derived morphology and lexicon? I love it.
    Man I remember discovering this for the first time.

Language is so friggin weird.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Troll in the Playground

KNEEEEEN you must preen my hair. It's awfully messy.
    aah yes, alligators
    ~Extended Signature~

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

KNEEEEEN you must preen my hair. It's awfully messy.
    Have you been out walking in the sea winds again without any hat? I know it's liberating to feel the fresh air through your hair, but it makes my job very difficult!

*begins to preen the golden tangle, muttering and grumbling in this fashion*

30. - Top - End - #150

NecromancerGuy

Define "hypotermic". If you mean "Teddy could get hypothermia from staying too long in it", I think that's true for most seas...

I'm not entirely sure about where you're going to find a shore where you can't walk into the ocean. Unless you mean those cliff coasts where geting down to the water is a hassle, in which case I understand what you mean, and no, we don't really have those anywhere in our long country.

ION:
    Fjords and such. Sheer cliffs. Strange elf structures.

Angry colonies of fennoswedes.

I'm as irrationally angry as that one Finland character from Scandinavia against the world. I am seeing red and can barely see straight enough to type this as I transform into an Angry Marine.
    Homebrew