New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Crossing the Streams

I play MtG. I play D&D (when I can). They're two separate games. But what if they could be used to supplement the other?

For example; Magic cards used as miniatures/grid markers. The deck of many things consisting of MtG cards put together by the DM. The casters' spells being represented by cards that the DM takes once spent, to be handed back when they prepare new ones. Inspiration and action points represented by appropriate cards with proxied artwork...

Am I delirious from being smacked around by robot wurms, or is there a germ of an idea here?
    Spoiler: Quotes from the Playground
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    In fact, I will here formally propose the Zeroth Rule of Gaming: No rule in any game shall be interpreted in a way that breaks the game if it is possible to interpret that rule in a way that does not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    Good old Jes, the infamous Doppelganger MILF.

(aka "The Doppelbanger")
    Quote Originally Posted by Beleriphon View Post
    Shhhhh, shhhhhh. Be calm, inhale the beholder's wacky float gas and stop worrying.

Adapting published monsters to Eberron: Naturalist's Guide to Eberron Latest: Annis Hag

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Crossing the Streams

I wouldn't. Firstly, the card protectors are usually sold in packs for an individual deck, so that might be an issue if someone actually uses the card in a deck. They're also a mite big for actual miniatures.

Using land cards for tokens might actually work. Everyone has a bunch they don't need lying around. I wouldn't use them for the actual spells, unless you are using a Spell Point system (like Spheres of Power). But for Inspirition/Stamina/Fate/Whatever points? Just grab a type of land. If you have multiples of these, you can even just use different types of land for the different points.

I like the idea of using joke cards or crummy commons with good art for the Deck of Many Things, but if you have to tell the player what they actually drew, that might not work because it could be highly confusing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

My DM is actually running a dnd 5e game set in Innistrad, and he's homebrewed monsters from MtG before. We don't bring actual cards into dnd, but we do use the lore.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

http://media.wizards.com/2016/downlo...20Zendikar.pdf

Wizards released Zendikar for D&D. Well. The bones of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Not everyone has the resources or the ability to become a wizard or a sorcerer, after all. Warlocking just requires a pact, very democratic, really. Doesn't require wealth or a magical lineage, just a promise, and all of your problems will go away.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Steampunkette View Post
    http://media.wizards.com/2016/downlo...20Zendikar.pdf

Wizards released Zendikar for D&D. Well. The bones of it.
    Part of what inspired the thoughts above; can it go the other way?
    Show
    In fact, I will here formally propose the Zeroth Rule of Gaming: No rule in any game shall be interpreted in a way that breaks the game if it is possible to interpret that rule in a way that does not.

(aka "The Doppelbanger")
    Shhhhh, shhhhhh. Be calm, inhale the beholder's wacky float gas and stop worrying.

Adapting published monsters to Eberron: Naturalist's Guide to Eberron Latest: Annis Hag

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

When I was a teenager I played a game of D&D with a stacked deck of Magic Cards. I would lay out cards to tell the story, which was pretty great.

The players were trying to find the cure for the king's disease. A malady which had, long ago, infected his grandfather. An alchemist and surgeon named Tober had helped to cure the grandfather, and used a special flower's pollen to make a thin honey broth that solved the issue.

So the heroes set out and searched an ancient stronghold for information where they wound up fighting Kobolds.

You get the idea. And yes, I used the cards to represent the creatures, too. Each session I'd restack the deck with another set of cards for kjeldoran knights or ouphes or whatever the group was meant to fight and just used stats from the old MMs with refluffing of descriptions.

Eventually they learned that Tober was still alive. Later they learned he was a dragon who studied lesser beings.

When they got into his lair they found out he was a Red Dragon and his price for helping the king was that one of the party members would have to agree to medical experimentation and dissection. They wouldn't go for it and killed Tober.

They got the honey from his hoard of medical knowledge, got back, and saved the king. The king had a big feast, gave the party noble titles, and declared an end to the quest...

The end of The Hunt for the Red Doc Tober.

... I lost friends over that pun. But it was -SO- worth it. 3 months of gaming twice a week (Weds and Sat) over the summer culminated in the uberpun.
    Not everyone has the resources or the ability to become a wizard or a sorcerer, after all. Warlocking just requires a pact, very democratic, really. Doesn't require wealth or a magical lineage, just a promise, and all of your problems will go away.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

The end of The Hunt for the Red Doc Tober.
    Damn. I think I'm in love. That must have been epic! *echoes*
    Last edited by Regitnui; 2016-05-28 at 08:53 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    My DM is actually running a dnd 5e game set in Innistrad, and he's homebrewed monsters from MtG before. We don't bring actual cards into dnd, but we do use the lore.
    One of my favorite planes. Though I think the Curse of Strahd bares some similarity to Innistrad.
    A changling, a mage, a demon and a werewolf dressed like ninjas riding velociraptors, either that's awesome or we may have jumped the shark.

3DS friend code: 0232 9724 5460
    Mii name: Jack
    pokemon y name: Jack

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fumble Jack View Post
    One of my favorite planes. Though I think the Curse of Strahd bares some similarity to Innistrad.
    *barely contained rage screaming*

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Ravenloft was I6, an adventure module released by TSR the year after I was born. That's over 30 years ago.

Later the various Ravenloft and Demiplane of Dread stories were compiled into a campaign setting boxed set released in 1990.

Strahd was in the very first freaking adventure. The Curse of Strahd is actually a re-writing of the original adventure, exploring some of the same locations and ideas while adding completely new stuff and expanding on what already existed while currently ignoring the other various Dread Realms that the Dark Powers have constructed (We don't know, for example, whether Azalin and Darkon are even a thing, right now, because of the strong focus on Barovia).

Innistrad was released in 2011. Innistrad was literally meant to capture the "Feel" of Gothic-Horror gaming. Which is what Ravenloft is.

Curse of Strahd bears no similarity to Innistrad. Innistrad is literally BASED on Ravenloft which itself is based on the Curse of Strahd.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

*barely contained rage screaming*
    My reaction as well, but if these people can't be bothered to read the introduction to the module in the book then it's hopeless. Actually, that's one of the things that makes me go NOPE in a ttRPG. Know what you're playing. Especially since i put a fair bit of effort into distilling it in the pregame packs!
    Show

(aka "The Doppelbanger")

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Regitnui View Post
    My reaction as well, but if these people can't be bothered to read the introduction to the module in the book then it's hopeless. Actually, that's one of the things that makes me go NOPE in a ttRPG. Know what you're playing. Especially since i put a fair bit of effort into distilling it in the pregame packs!
    Wait.. you mean all that text in the game manual that doesn't tell me how to get big numbers and kill people... I'm supposed to read it? What is this, some kind of story game?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Regitnui View Post
    Sincerity mode here: I thought it's bad form to pre-read modules? Or do you mean reading the introduction and nothing more?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by goto124 View Post
    Sincerity mode here: I thought it's bad form to pre-read modules? Or do you mean reading the introduction and nothing more?
    The introduction. It comes back to the people who'll show up to Greyhawk with a cyborg.
    Show

(aka "The Doppelbanger")