New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: IC: Sentinels of Houshen [D&D 5E] Thread: I

Guiren

Guiren gives Aya's shoulder a sympathetic squeeze at the news that she lost a friend in the Shouren ambush. He tightens his pack on his back, straightens his komuso on his head, and shoulders his kanabo, nodding that he is ready at Ren and Jiafa, Let us find these Goutou Ren!

2. - Top - End - #272
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pope Scarface View Post
    "I see much to be lost by waiting. If Li Shen still lives, every moment we delay may be the moment needed to have saved him,"

"Very true. I wanted to sleep in an inn for a night, but this is a matter of life and death - there is no time to delay."
    Qianal turns to the other five that had assembled in the yurt. "Well, if we are to be traveling together, I believe introductions are in order. I am Qianal Ai, a ronin on a pilgrimage to the west." Qianal extends a scaly hand towards Jiafa to shake.
    Currently Playing:
    Qianal Ai the Dragonborn Paladin/Barbarian in Sentinels of Houshen

Doderic Took the Halfling Kensei in Falling Stars

3. - Top - End - #273
    Titan in the Playground

The newly formed party gathers their kit and treks off into the wilderness in the middle of night. The crescent moon hangs in the sky, dimly illuminating the otherwise pitch black landscape. With lit torches, the party finds a dusty, lightly used dirt trail. The earth has been dug into by what looks like wagon wheels, clearly they are headed in the right direction. After an hour of travel, the terrain slowly increases in gradation. After another thirty minutes, the terrain becomes bumpy and lumpy. The trail goes up and down with the land, clearly no Imperial surveyor has come to this desolate place, for if he had, this road would be far more enjoyable to walk upon. After yet another half hour, the group comes to the peak of a particularly large hill. As they look down into a natural gully, they spot a small wood cabin. The light from a hearth beams out of the windows, illuminating a pleasant looking rice patty farm on the western side and a corral for pigs on the eastern side. The swines are all awake and look agitated. They rustle and jostle back and forth, oinking loudly.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    You guys are a hundred feet above the valley below. The hillside is steep in most places but a twisting path snakes its way down to the valley below. The house is not very large, perhaps thirty by thirty.

Spoiler: Perception
    Show

Aya Re (1d20)[1]
    Hei Jiafa (1d20)[8]
    Guiren Yinghon FeiJing Baotsu of Sha Hei (1d20)[8]
    Kari (Lyn) (1d20)[12]
    Li Mei (1d20)[18]
    Qianal Ai (1d20)[6]
    Ren Til (1d20)[15]

Spoiler: DC 15
    Show

You spot a small humanoid walking around the house, heading to the northern side (out of view)
    DMing:
    ❶ AGAINST THE GIANTS: IC | OOC

4. - Top - End - #274
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Ren Til

The goliath mutters a few nonsensical words and makes a few passes with his hands, and then listens to the cries of the agitated swine. (casting speak with animals; what are the pigs fussing about?)

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ettin in the Playground

Aya looks around the area. "It looks so peaceful." After a few moments, she quietly adds as an afterthought, "I wonder if I could stay in one place long enough to have something like that..."

She turns to the others and says, "Should we go say hi? I'll bet we can get some water from the farmers, maybe some news?"

6. - Top - End - #276

Guiren

Guiren is mostly quiet on the night trek into the hills. The going is not difficult, but the path is not simple to maneuver, and he keeps his attention on the way forward and the wilderness around them. At the peak of a large hill, the group spots a small cabin and rice patty farm with pigs corralled beside it.

This doesn't strike me as a Goutou Ren dwelling, Guiren ponders aloud through his helmet.

Aya looks around the area. "It looks so peaceful. Should we go say hi? I'll bet we can get some water from the farmers, maybe some news?"

I don't know. Something has the pigs movin' about. Should we put the torches out, and see what we see?

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground

Kari

The rogue lightly hummed to herself keeping her hands behind her head walking leisurely with the group. She heard Aya and Guiren speak glancing at them and around. She glanced around not really catching much, her own play being out of it and mostly keeping to her own thoughts making it hard for her to get a good look.

"Seems a bit boring... nothing to do here and all... OOO pretty flower! No wait no... think that was a weed. Might be something going on around here... unless Jia-jia scared em. He can be scary at times." She spoke as she lifted her hand up as if doing a failed attempt to conceal what she said with her tone coming off more like a fake whisper.

Despite her words, Kari couldn't help but glance around a bit more on edge then her ditzy persona put on. It didn't seem as if there was some professional possibly going after them, but she was more then aware to pay attention to strange signs such to animals acting strangely or other occurrences. Her time 'in the shadows' training had taught her to be very alert about subtle things.
    Peeking back in after a long break.

Avatar by the Awesome Ceika of my character Aisha Silverlight. :)

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Ren Til
    Show
    The pigs seem top be talking about a loud noise and strange creatures walking around. They don't like the creatures. They want to run but the fence is too sturdy to break through.
    DMing:

9. - Top - End - #279

Flumph

Ren Til

The Juren and his goat begin moving hastily towards the house. "Goutou Ren," he whispers as he moves down the hill, pulling out his bow.

Rolls
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealth Ren (1d20+3)[10]
    Stealth Garib (1d20)[12]
    Athletics Ren (1d20+4)[21]
    Athletics Garib (1d20+1)[4]

Athletics in case the hill is steep enough to need one. Adv Roll for Garib if Surefooted would apply (mechanically it would not, but it is literally the thing that surefooted is supposed to represent) (1d20+1)[19]

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ettin in the Playground

Aya, Cheeky Gumdrop of Fire

"Goutou Ren?" Aya asks Ren Til, but he is already gone by the time she realizes he has said anything. Oh, right...the little guys we were looking for. She watches Ren head toward the house as she pulls her light crossbow out of its harness. We're getting paid for these things, right? Do we really have to bring back their heads? She looks down the hill, wondering if she could shoot from here, or if it's wiser to get a closer position. Can't make money if I'm not in the game, she finally realizes as she stands and follows the Juren.

Spoiler: Rolls and things
    Show
    Stealth: (d20+2)[18] and athletics: (d20-1)[7]

Aya hops over the edge of the hill, slips, and tumbles about ten feet towards the bottom before catching herself. She looks up at her companions, and appears to be blushing a little. She places one finger over her lips and, almost a little too loudly shushes the rest of the party. "Shhhhh! Ummmm....watch that first step there." She then turns and holds still while she looks towards the cabin.Ow...ow.
    Last edited by Fishybugs; 2016-09-15 at 09:25 PM.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Titan in the Playground

The pigs sequel heavily as they see Aya tumble down the cliff-side. A Goutou Ren walks around the house and out in full view of the party. He stares at the pigs and screeches at them to shut up!
    DMing:

12. - Top - End - #282

Flumph

Ren Til

The Juren gestures towards the goat, and then towards the creature, training an arrow on it as the goat wanders into view in the field.

13. - Top - End - #283

Qianal draws his sword and attempts to sneak down the hill, following Ren Til's lead about the Goutou Ren. As he descends the hill, Aya tumbles down, alerting the pigs and causing them to start squealing.

A single Goutou Ren exited the cabin and began to screech at the pigs, but did not appear to see the the longyi or his allies.

Show

Stealth 1: (1d20)[1]
    Stealth 2: (1d20)[9]
    Athletics: (1d20+5)[8]
    Currently Playing:

14. - Top - End - #284

Guiren

His blood pumping as his allies advance down the hill, Guiren grips his war club in two hands and follows them toward the cabin. Partway down the hill, a goutou ren exits the small dwelling to shush the squealing pigs. The sight gives Guiren pause, The creature seems to live here, he whispers at the group, We should make ourselves known. There is no justice in killing this creature like this.

Spoiler: Stealth
    Show
    (1d20+2)[14]

15. - Top - End - #285

Jiafa

Jiafa considered Guiren's words.

A head's a head... but it IS odd that the Gotou Ren appears to live here. This is worth finding out more about.

Nodding, he followed Guiren down.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Stealth: (1d20+3)[13]
    Everything dissolves into blue.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ogre in the Playground

Kari

The rogue blinks scratching at her chin lightly. She watches as Aya ungracefully tumbles, blinking oddly in response. She sees the others follow, shrugging a bit. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to sneak behind... everyone else is doing it. She thought briefly to herself before following along.

Show
    Stealth: (1d20+5)[23]
    Peeking back in after a long break.

Avatar by the Awesome Ceika of my character Aisha Silverlight. :)

17. - Top - End - #287

Guiren

Jiafa nods at Guiren and removes his helmet. Shouldering the club on one side, and holding his helmet in his other hand, Guiren calls out in yun, Oi, greetings! My friends and I aren't familiar with this area. Can you help?

18. - Top - End - #288

Jiafa

Jiafa's eyes widened in shock, and his mouth momentarily slackened before turning to Guiren, his hisses reverting to the language of his infernal pact in his desperation to stop Guiren.

Spoiler: Diyu
    Show
    "What in the nine hells are you doing!?"

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ettin in the Playground

Aya, Subpar Tumbler

Aya follows as the others make their way down toward the sty. Though the others are talking, and probably planning strategy, Aya is taking off her travelling jacket and pulling up the sleeves of her thin red gown to check and see if her elbows are bleeding from her fall. She is pulled from her reverie when she hears Guiren raise his voice and speak to someone. Ahh, they've found the house owners. I'm glad they're okay.

She realizes shortly after that he is talking to the Goutou Ren. Her face scrunches into an almost cute frown of annoyance. "Are you..are you talking to the little monster? The pack-mate or clutch-friend..or whatever..of the one who just tried to burn our inn down? Maybe he wants to join us for dinner? When's his naming day? I forgot a present?"

Aya looks at them a few more moments, shakes her head slightly, then reaches her right hand up and lightly caresses the deep red ruby on the choker at her throat. "Mkono Uchawi," she says quietly. The ruby glows lightly, then falls dull again. Aya pantamimes reaching for something and pulls it back suddenly. Coincidentally at the same time, the pin in the gate to the pigsty comes out and the gate swings open as Aya makes a pushing motion.

After a few moments, if the pigs aren't moving, Aya makes some small swinging motions, and an observant person can notice a semi-transparent hand swatting the hogs on the rump, running them out the gate.

Show
    Cast Mage Hand...and have a little fun.
    Last edited by Fishybugs; 2016-09-16 at 01:40 PM.

20. - Top - End - #290

Flumph

Ren Til

The Juren looks back and forth between his companions confused and lowers his bow.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

eek Re: IC: Sentinels of Houshen [D&D 5E] Thread: I

The Goutou Ren whirls around the moment Guiren calls out to him. He stands about three feet tall and looks like a small Longyi, complete with lizard-like snout and scaly skin. His scales glisten in the moonlight. He sneers at the Petjar and his allies, "Intruders! You cannot interfere with the Witch Mother's plans!" The small kobold begins to cast a spell but as he finishes it, a horde of twenty five pigs barrel out of the nearby pen and stampede right over the poor creature. As the hogs run off into the wilderness, the broken body of the now dead Goutou Ren lies beaten and bloody in the dirt.

Spoiler: Perception
    Show
    Everyone can hear the sound of hurried movement and the cackling whispers of the Goutou Ren's strange language emanating from inside the cabin.
    DMing:

22. - Top - End - #292

Flumph

Ren Til

The Juren runs towards the door of the building, hoping the noise from the pigs will cover his approach, but not taking too much care towards stealth.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ettin in the Playground

Aya's eyes grow as big and round as saucers when the pigs stampede over the Goutou Ren. She stands and points at the broken kobold, and says to her companions, "Okay...that was not my fault."
    Last edited by Fishybugs; 2016-09-17 at 12:45 AM.

24. - Top - End - #294

Jiafa

As his panic and subsequent relief as Aya released the pigs subsided, Jiafa took a breath and turned to the sorceress, a flattering tone in his voice.

"No, you did good. Clearly he's not friendly, and this is one less kobold we have to worry about killing ourselves. Now, hurry and get into position near the hut before Ren alerts whoever's in there and we lose the element of surprise."

Show
    Stealth (to approach the entrance of the hut): (1d20+3)[7]
    Perception (to peek inside): (1d20+3)[18]

25. - Top - End - #295

Flumph

Ren Til

If he makes it to the door without any reaction from inside, he'll stow his bow and pull a dagger from his belt, waiting to one side of the door for the others to get in position.

Spoiler: Stealth
    Show
    (1d20+3)[13]

26. - Top - End - #296

Guiren

Guiren whirled around in surprise at Jiafa's and Aya's reactions, his eyes wide, I thought-- but the Goutou Ren calls out Intruders! You cannot interfere with the Witch Mother's plans! Guiren turns back to the small lizard creature, ready to defend against an attack. But suddenly, the gate to the pig pen opens up and the group of agitated swine surge out, trampling the Goutou Ren in the mud. Immediately the group can hear a commotion inside the cabin. Guiren throws his helmet back on and stalks forward with the rest of his allies.

Show
    Stealth
    (1d20+2)[4]

Guiren will take position beside a door in case anyone tries to run out.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ettin in the Playground

Aya is a bit stunned by the trampled form, and is unaware there may even by more kobolds until she is startled out of it by Jiafa urging her to get moving. She simply says, Right! She has spent more time in captivity or on the run than she has fighting. Being unfamiliar with battlefield tactics, she starts to hide behind a fencepost, shakes her head, then just decides to follows Jiafa. He's not dressed in metal, but that leather looks like it will take a hit or two more than my traveling clothes.

Once she is near him, she whispers, "I've got your back." She brushes her hand against the jewel in her choker again and whispers, "Kuzalisha Moto" Her face breaks into a big grin as her left hand bursts into flame. "I love this part," she whispers to Jiafa, her face dropping into a slightly more worried expression than her words relate.

Show
    Cast Produce Flame. Just hold the flame at the ready....being careful not to light anything on fire. Especially her hair. Or Jiafa's.
    Last edited by Fishybugs; 2016-09-17 at 01:30 PM.

28. - Top - End - #298

Qianal grabs his shield off his back and straps it to his arm as he moves into position by the door, moving to the other side of the door from Ren Til. The paladin holds his hand to his chest, muttering, "Fire Tiger, grant me courage. Metal Tortoise, grant me endurance." His hand glows with golden light with the intonation of his prayer.

The longyi then grabs his sword and nods to Ren Til.

Show
    Casting Heroism on myself.
    Currently Playing:

29. - Top - End - #299

Flumph

With Qianal's nod, Ren Til opens the door waits for Qianal to move through and follows behind, pulling a second dagger as he goes, ready to strike at any enemies he finds.

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative (1d20+3)[8]
    If we get surprise, he'll attack one of the little lizard guys.
    (1d20+5)[15] Tohit (1d4+3)[7] Damage
    Offhand (1d20+5)[21] tohit (1d4)[3] Damage

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

The party lays a trap and waits to spring it. After a fashion, the door bursts open. Qianal dives his two blades into the first kobold that has the misfortune of walking out. The daggers easily slip into the flesh of the Goutou Ren, piercing his eye and skull like a hot knife through butter. The kobold does not have enough time to even scream before he flops over dead. The other three Kobolds in sight immediately stop when they see their ally viciously murdered before them. They draw their blades and prepare for combat!

Show
    Combat has begun! You guys have initiative!

The Doc (link in my signature) has the Battle Grid (battle map) as well as the Combat Sheet. It looks like no one has filled their sheet out yet. That is a-ok!

The combat sheet is a tool we use to keep track of health and streamline the attack and damage process. Normally, you would roll your attack and damage, then wait for me to tell you if you hit and if the monster was killed. With the combat sheet, you do not need to wait for me at all, since you just roll your dice, then input the numbers in the sheet. It will tell you if you hit or not and whether you killed the creature or not.

Let's say the adventurer rolls a 15 to hit with his daggers against the Monster. The adventurer would input 15 in the "AC" cell. In the Hit cell, the system will return either Hit or Miss. In this case, the adventurer hit. The Adventurer rolled 6 damage with his dagger. He would input 6 into one of the open "dmg" cells. If the damage brings the creature to at or below half health, the "status" of the monster will change from Good to Hurt. When the monster dies, the status will change to "Down".

We will be using the Spell Attack variant of the game, so as to speed that aspect of the game up as well. So rather than the target making a saving throw, the attacker instead makes a spell attack roll. To determine what your spell attack roll modifiers should be, look at the modifiers you would use to determine the DC of the spell. Then add those to a roll of 1d20 :)

For the spell defense (STR, DEX, CON, etc.), you add 12 to your stat modifier (so if you had a 12 CON, then your CON Save would be 12+1 (1 being the modifier for a stat of 12)).

I am going to be busy today, so I may not be able to respond to any questions in a timely manner. Manta, Hana and Dr. Samurai have all used the Doc before, so they should be able to answer any questions you may have as well :)
    Last edited by Felhammer; 2016-09-18 at 11:38 AM.
    DMing: