Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default What introduced you to RPG's?

Sometime before my twelfth birthday (I specifically remember that I was under the "for adults 12 years and up."limit) at some toy store in some shopping mall, I saw this:

Did I come home with it that day?
    No.

Did I whine like a hungry puppy until it was mine?
    Yes! Yes! and Yes!
    I mean LOOK AT IT!

Such shear AWESOMICITY!, AWESOMOSITY! , and HELLA METAL BADASSADRY! created longings I could hardly understand!
    A Wizard with a Magic Wand!

A warrior in armor with a longbow and sword!

and,
    A Dragon on a giant pile of treasure in a dungeon!

After I finally received the majestic 46 page rulebook (and read it straight through three times so I could "get it"), my little brother was the first victim player that I DM'd.
    How I longed to be the player exploring the Dungeon myself (and really I still do)!
    Sometime in 6th grade (so late 1978 or early 1979) a classmate saw me reading the "blue book" and invited me to a game of D&D that his teenage older brother was the DM of. The rules?
    The three LBB's, Greyhawk, Blackmoor, Eldrich Wizardry, God's Demigods and Heroes, the Arduin Grimouire's, All the World's Monster's, and the Monster Manual! (but no Chainmail or Swords and Spells, which I didn't see until the mid 1980's).
    BEST GAME EVER!
    The next RPG was "Villains and Vigilantes" and then it was off to the races!
    How about for you?
    What brought you to the hobby?
    Last edited by 2D8HP; 2016-06-02 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Eternal war with spellchecker!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: What introduced you to RPG's?

I must have been 9 or 10 years old, and my parents bought a new PC for the house. It came with a bunch of free games, including this one:

I had no idea what I was playing but this 'character creation' deal was intriguing. It had me sold at "women of the Realms can excel in any area they wish, and are easily the equal of their male counterparts in every skill or respect."

From there, it took me about six years to figure out what THAC0 meant! in my defense, I didn't have any manual or guidebook, and the internet wasn't really a thing you could use back then.
    Last edited by Ninja_Prawn; 2016-06-01 at 02:24 AM. Reason: fixed image :S
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig, MHP

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

Chimera

Baldur's Gate or Diablo for me.

I'll never forget my confusion when better armor meant a lower armor value.
    I did have a manual but it was so badly translated that 'alive' was used to talk about the 'undeath'.
    Last edited by mig el pig; 2016-06-01 at 02:37 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

My parents were teachers at a boarding school before they retired, and they used to take a whole bunch of the kids on vacations to other countries as part of the job. I was too young to be left at home with my sisters (and, well, the cocktail of them and me was rather explosive and nothing to leave behind), so I had to be brought along. Ghastly experiences all around for me. But, one of their colleagues on a couple of those trips improvised some basic RPG using cards to substitute for dice, which he hadn't expected to need. Looking back, he really did badly at it by modern standards. But I loved it. First experience had the players storming a small castle for no adequately explained reason, and I got caught trying to open the front gate.
    Soon after, I stumbled across the Rules Cyclopedia in a toy shop I didn't usually frequent, and I bought it straight away. With that in hand, I started DMing seriously. The rest is history, as you might say.

Spoiler: Rules Cylopedia
    Show
    Last edited by hymer; 2016-06-01 at 02:39 AM.
    My D&D 5th ed. Druid Handbook

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    I must have been 9 or 10 years old, and my parents bought a new PC for the house. It came with a bunch of free games, including this one:

I had no idea what I was playing but this 'character creation' deal was intriguing. It had me sold at "women of the Realms can excel in any area they wish, and are easily the equal of their male counterparts in every skill or respect."

From there, it took me about six years to figure out what THAC0 meant! in my defense, I didn't have any manual or guidebook, and the internet wasn't really a thing you could use back then.
    Ah, Baldur's Gate, my first introduction to D&D, but I wouldn't call it my first introduction to roleplaying (as I had no clue it was based on a tabletop game, I was like 6 (maybe 8) when I first played it). I still haven't got past act 1, due to a current lack of a PC and focusing on my studies, but some day I will reach Baldur's Gate and the plots therein!

My first real introduction was when, because we liked Baldur's Gate so much, my dad ran the old red box for me and my siblings. I still have fond memories of it and I swear that I'll get my own copy some day (because unfortunately my dad threw out all his old D&D stuff).
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A friend invited me to play in his game.
    Boy were those games trainwrecks, but we were 16 and playing a homebrew game the DM made basically on the fly.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I still haven't got past act 1
    I can assure you, it is well worth it! The 'enhanced edition' on Steam is a good buy - it's had its problems, but most of the bugs are fixed now, and a lot of the negative reviews are politically motivated and not a fair reflection of the game.

For me, that was my first real Roleplaying Game (with capital letters). I got into Pokémon at about the same time and Final Fantasy a few years later, but I didn't play another western RPG for some time, and I only got back to TTRPGs very recently.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

I discovered it at Uni

Actually 1 joined the RPG group as they held meeting in the student union on a Thursday and Friday night. Friday night was normally a band / club night and you had to pay to get in BUT if you were attending a society event then you could get in for free

I initially joined to save on the door fee but after attending a few Thursday sessions (to “prove” I was a member) I really enjoyed playing and the rest (30+ yrs later is history)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    I can assure you, it is well worth it! The 'enhanced edition' on Steam is a good buy - it's had its problems, but most of the bugs are fixed now, and a lot of the negative reviews are politically motivated and not a fair reflection of the game.
    I have the enhanced edition, I got to the mines in it and then my computer essentially broke and I haven't had a reason or the money to replace it. All I have to say is I need to work out who to have in my party, I want like 6 of the NPCs, including the hamster (oh, and the ranger he comes with).
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I have the enhanced edition, I got to the mines in it and then my computer essentially broke and I haven't had a reason or the money to replace it. All I have to say is I need to work out who to have in my party, I want like 6 of the NPCs, including the hamster (oh, and the ranger he comes with).
    The trick is to run two games at the same time. I mean, Minsc is all well and good, but you do not want to miss out on a party of Dorn Il-Khan, Viconia, Xzar, Montaron, Kagain and a CE PC with the assassin class kit! It's all murder, all the time!
    Last edited by Ninja_Prawn; 2016-06-01 at 06:14 AM.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

The group of friends I grew up with were big into wargames. Squad Leader, Trireme, etc. When news of rpgs reached us I got selected as this "Dungeon Master" spot since I had read Lord of the Rings? We had played Chainmail a few times but it was not the paradigm shift going to the role playing game turned out to be. Many a night was what I guess is called a dungeon delve now. Party appeared at the entrance to the dungeon, fought and explored their way through the dungeon, and then waited for the next one. Then towns and things started appearing. A long and interesting evolution with some dead ends but still enjoyable for the most part.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Spamalot in the Playground

I started into RPGs in high school. A double-whammy in fact. One friend was into D&D and he introduced me to second edition. Around the same time another friend was buying imported Famicom JRPGs and he introduced me to games like Final Fantasy IV1 (which got a US release) and V (which didn't till muuuuch later). With D&D, my friend and I joined a small weekly group that met at a local arcade. Even learned some other systems like GURPS and Werewolf. Good times.

1Funny thing is that I actually did play the original NES Final Fantasy years before, but the game was weird and I never got far with it until after figuring out IV.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

I loved the Cthulhu mythos since middle school, and when one of my friends told me about this "Call of the Cthulhu TRPG" in which you can actually be like the main character of a Lovecraftian tale (which generally means succumbing to madness and being killed by outer entities). I felt it seemed fun, and indeed I enjoyed it well.

I proceeded to become interested in Paranoia, killing each other with friends for fun.

Then, I found D&D's Monster Manual, and was absolutely fascinated by the lore and all the description it had. I love deep world-building, and that's what caught my attention. It also reminded me of the books I read as a child, like Deltora Quest and stuff (which were no doubt inspired by D&D anyways).
    Spoiler: Avatar
    Show

^ Fantastic avatar made by Professor Gnoll. Yaya Tokaz, from the manga "Kukul and Nagi". ^
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    Only on a DnD forum would discussing the methods for jamming a T-Rex into a 10x10x10 box be a thing.
    Extended Signature: Homebrew Stuff
    Unlimited Blade Works: The Guide to the Ultimate Paladin/Sorcerer Multiclass

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I was 9 when my friends older brother decided to test Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay on us the willing victims. I remember when I came home and told my mom enthusiastically "Mom I chopped a man in half with an axe." Mom: "Yes dear". Yes the critical wound tables in WFR were pretty gruesome. From then on it was only downhill...at the age of 11 I finally acquired Ad&d 2nd ed. PHB and from there it just spiraled out of control, it was a pure addiction...an addiction to my own fantasy.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    In late 1990, Nintendo Power gave free copies of Dragon Warrior to subscribers, including a 64-page "Explorer's Handbook" that has a full walkthrough of the game and additional backstory not mentioned in the original instruction booklet.
    Not mentioned is the laminated card with a table which showed level progression for the descendent of Erdrick. This included when he gained more powerful spells (class abilities for a gish), expected equipment (not far from a Wealth by Level) and how many experience points were required. There were maps of the pixelated dungeons (grid-based), lists of the enemies encountered (Monster Manual) and even the world map.

Spoiler
    Show

Yeah, I traded laughs
    In for charts and graphs

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by KillingAScarab; 2016-06-01 at 01:57 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Firbolg in the Playground

I must have been four or five when I walked into my dad's study one day and saw him playing Baldur's Gate. I failed my save against enchantment (pretty sure having been constantly read The Hobbit and various fairytales from the day I was born gave me a sizeable penalty), and once my dad explained what D&D was, there was no going back.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

I think I was 19 years old when I first started participating in chat-based roleplaying games with a few friends. There were no rules or anything like that--we just developed random scenarios and quests and just did whatever we felt like.

Around a year later, the group I was in broke up, and I was looking for something that could replace it. Eventually, I discovered Roll20, where I quickly found a listing for a Fate Core game. I've been playing tabletops ever since.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

My mom played it back in college, and she mentioned her D&D games a couple of times when I was young - and while the games described sound like something that I would find unbelievably tedious now, at the time it sounded completely awesome. So, before I even had any rules at all I started trying to get games together, and did a fair amount of free form. Then I acquired D&D, did a bit with that, and quickly jumped ship to the industry at large (passing through a pretty terrible game that worked a bit better than D&D did for me first), eventually hitting Fudge and using it pretty heavily as my main game.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

19. - Top - End - #19

OldWizardGuy

At 10, I discovered that my dad had bought a couple of Avalon Hill wargames from somewhere. They were sitting in the closet, unpunched as he'd never done anything with them. I decided to figure them out and got my older brother to play. That worked ok but he decided he liked drugs better and it was hard to find opponents. I unknowingly longed for more (Computer games barely existed then and we had no computer.)

When I was in 7th grade, I heard some kids talking about a new game. It sounded like a mix of wargame, LOTR, Conan, and so many other things I was into. In short, unmitigated awesome. We didn't have a ton of money but I conned my mom into getting me a copy. That was Moldvay Basic. With the Erol Otus art, the (limited) customization, and the adventure, I knew this was the thing I'd been looking for and that I would be the all powerful DM. I got a few neighborhood kids to play through Keep on the Borderlands.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

I think my first run in with role playing was in some chatrooms in middle school, then via IM, then with a friend in highschool via taking turns drawing/writing in a notebook. (we would usually have several characters each). It never worked as well with more than just two of us though...

I first got to play D&D my senior year of highschool, and also did some freeform playing in forums.

I actually kind of miss freeform role playing...I can't do it in real time, but it was fun to take turns writing/drawing together with one other person.
    Last edited by cobaltstarfire; 2016-06-01 at 02:15 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

In high school, I was in the chess club. Some members liked the Avalon Hill and SPI wargames, but I couldn't6 see the point. I hadn't mastered chess yet - why would I want to start a game with more complicated rules?

In my junior year in college (1975), my roommate was deeply into wargaming. I listened, to be polite, but never got interested, until he brought home a copy of Metagaming's Stellar Conquest. This was different - this was science fiction. I had to play it. And I enjoyed it.

Then he brought home a small white box with three pamphlets called Dungeons and Dragons, and that seemed exciting. I played it once, and the idea seemed cool, but the rules didn't work well. But within a week he also had the brand new first supplement, called Greyhawk. Now the game played well.

I rolled up a natural paladin, and never looked back.

22. - Top - End - #22

Imp

My dad got me a copy when I was 9, and played a couple games with me and my younger brother. Then I pretty much just looked at the pictures and read the fluff for a couple years, and then decided to actually teach myself to play.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Of those three, only the middle one I managed to buy for myself, the others were at family/friends.

From there I played a lot of other console & videogame RPGs until a friend came in with a ragged copy of 2nd ed his uncle brought him.

Note that this was ~'97 when we both two dumb french speaking kids in middle school given those 2nd ed books. I swear we made up more of the rules then played with the official ones. I still find those books horribly written and I'm now in my 30s

About 4-5 years later I played 3.0 when another friend got them and it made much more sense. Partially because the books were better edited, partially because I was a year or two of from graduating and had a better grasp of English at that point.

Once I graduated I took a few years off RPing in college, moved to a town with FLGS and been gaming with the same core group since... we've been together for what... almost 10 years now?

24. - Top - End - #24

smile Re: What introduced you to RPG's?

The first time I played a tabletop RPG, it was the 4e adventure inside the DMG. The character of the party met each other by walking into a bar and saying "Ow" at the same exact time.
    Link to true signature
    Feel free to sig anything I post, just do so in quote format.

25. - Top - End - #25

I was a geeky theater kid and movie buff. A couple of friends introduced me to 2nd ed D&D revised books had just come out. for something to do on weekends. I was horrible, could never remember which die did what. But I liked telling stories and acting out my characters.

Still game on occasion with a few people from that group. One of them introduced me to this forum.
    “You know what your problem is, it's that you haven't seen enough movies - all of life's riddles are answered in the movies.” Davis. -Steve Martin- Grand Canyon

Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    That box was the same one I found in my parents' bookcase, probably ten years after you found it in the store. When I was around ten, and having finished reading Lord of the Rings, I actually started paying attention to what my dad had in the bookcase, and Lo and Behold! They never mentioned it, never actually had played it, but bought it around the time I was born with the intent to play with some neighbors of theirs. I opened the box, with new, crisp green character sheets and untouched rules booklet and dungeon module B2, Keep on the Borderlands. Nothing sounded like more fun, and I immediately recruited anyone I could to try playing, starting with the neighbor kids my mom babysat after school and my little sister.

Eventually, I got some school friends to start playing with me, and found out that one friend's older brother and other friend's cousins used to play D&D, too. We inherited some of the 1e AD&D books from them, found a couple more at yard sales, and evolved from Basic to AD&D.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

It was actually my father and MERP when I was around eight or nine, or maybe even a little younger. I've been interested in the hobby ever since.
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AMFV View Post
    It was actually my father and MERP when I was around eight or nine, or maybe even a little younger. I've been interested in the hobby ever since.
    Did he tone down the crit descriptions for you?
    My D&D 5th ed. Druid Handbook

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Diablo 2 was the first game I ever owned for any videogame platform, so most likely that. Although, I recall playing Heroes of Might and Magic 3 at a friend, but I'm unsure if it was before or after I was lost in the world of Sanctuary. Later, I got introduced to D&D via Icewind Dale (I know, I know, it's strange that I didn't know of Baldur's Gate yet at that time) which I happened to see at a store once. It was on sale for very cheap so I bought it. Oh my god was it awesome! (Still is. Unfortunately I can't play it because Windows 10 seems to be incompatible with my ("enhanced") version)
    Though I must admit that when a friend introduced me to tabletop D&D later, I didn't at first realize it was the same game as Icewind Dale :D
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2016-06-03 at 02:55 AM.
    My 5th Edition D&D Homebrew:
    Don't look for an insult when there is none.

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Current Characters:
    Arkhios "Wolfhammer", V.Human Paladin (Ancients) 5 (Dawnfall: The Greendale Campaign)
    Anarriel, Valenar Fighter (Cavalier/TBD) 4 (Eberron: Embers of the Last War)

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

It was saturday in summer, and I was really terribly bored. So I flipped through old game magazines to look for a new game I might buy. I had never read the review of Baldur's Gate that was in one of them (or any RPG reviews), but the high rating caught my curiosity. And reading the whole thing made it sound quite interesting. With nothing better to do and some money to spare, I got on my bike, drove into town... and here I am.
    Last edited by Yora; 2016-06-03 at 06:25 AM.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor - Writing Sword & Sorcery
    Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying