Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
Results 211 to 223 of 223
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    SolithKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Shipping Oona and O-Chul <3

    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Paul View Post
    Just because you're 50 doesn't mean you can't see the attraction of Infinite One-Night Stands. Some of us have been doing our duty for a long time and may feel like it's time for some R&R once that's done.
    I'm not suggesting 50 is a cutoff to libido, just as you get older other things might be more important. If he was a fifty year old celibate then yes, I'd see your point. But celibacy and Tavern of Infinite One Night Stands (TIONS for short) are at opposite ends of the relationship spectrum (I use TIONS as a figure of speech, not referring to the actual TIONS that appears in Celestia.) and I think O-chul is more a 'duty first' guy rather than 'drop everything: potential sexy detected!'. If you want an in comic character like that to ship, go back to Pompey. Who's Pompey, I hear you ask? Exactly.
    I admit full culpability for Phyrnglsnyx

  2. - Top - End - #212
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    littlebum2002's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2012

    Default Re: Shipping Oona and O-Chul <3

    Quote Originally Posted by Rift_Wolf View Post
    I'm not suggesting 50 is a cutoff to libido, just as you get older other things might be more important. If he was a fifty year old celibate then yes, I'd see your point. But celibacy and Tavern of Infinite One Night Stands (TIONS for short) are at opposite ends of the relationship spectrum (I use TIONS as a figure of speech, not referring to the actual TIONS that appears in Celestia.) and I think O-chul is more a 'duty first' guy rather than 'drop everything: potential sexy detected!'. If you want an in comic character like that to ship, go back to Pompey. Who's Pompey, I hear you ask? Exactly.
    So it's entirely impossible for someone to be a "duty first guy" and still get some action when it arises?

  3. - Top - End - #213
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Kish's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2004

    Default Re: Shipping Oona and O-Chul <3

    The location of the Tavern of Infinite One-Night Stands clearly indicates it's compatible with Lawful Good and of interest to a significant number of Lawful Good characters (and indeed, Roy's Archon thought Roy was one who would find it interesting). Aside from the other problems (...like lack of evidence...) with bringing in Pompey as an example of someone who would value one-night stands, he was Neutral Evil.

    "Duty" and "sex" is not a dichotomy. In any way. "Wisdom" and "sex" are not a dichotomy. Your posts here are alarmingly anti-sex.
    Last edited by Kish; 2016-07-13 at 01:27 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "The really unforgivable acts are committed by calm men in beautiful green silk rooms, who deal death wholesale, by the shipload, without lust, or anger, or desire, or any redeeming emotion to excuse them but cold fear of some pretended future. But the crimes they hope to prevent in the future are imaginary. The ones they commit in the present--they are real." --Aral Vorkosigan

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.

  4. - Top - End - #214
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    SolithKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Shipping Oona and O-Chul <3

    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    The location of the Tavern of Infinite One-Night Stands clearly indicates it's compatible with Lawful Good and of interest to a significant number of Lawful Good characters (and indeed, Roy's Archon thought Roy was one who would find it interesting). Aside from the other problems (...like lack of evidence...) with bringing in Pompey as an example of someone who would value one-night stands, he was Neutral Evil.

    "Duty" and "sex" is not a dichotomy. In any way. "Wisdom" and "sex" are not a dichotomy. Your posts here are alarmingly anti-sex.
    I think I'm being misunderstood; I apologise if I've offended people, I'm not anti-sex. I'll retract previous comments.
    I admit full culpability for Phyrnglsnyx

  5. - Top - End - #215
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Shipping Oona and O-Chul <3

    Quote Originally Posted by mouser9169 View Post
    All the more reason for him to be ready for some romance :)
    We have no indication that O-Chul is celibate, but assuming he is, it is really inconsiderate to say, "well, that's all the more reason for him to completely change his lifestyle to fit into my theory."

    Think about it a different way. "Bob has a moral issue with eating animals, so he's been a vegetarian for 30 years." "Well, all the more reason for him to be ready for this steak!" No. It doesn't work like that.
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.

  6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground
     
    KorvinStarmast's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Shipping Oona and O-Chul <3

    Quote Originally Posted by Rift_Wolf View Post
    I'm not suggesting 50 is a cutoff to libido.
    We (old and still horny sorts) thank you for your condescension. That snark aside, it is possible that O'Chul has a reserved attitude about intimate relationships, and that Rich has not (at this point in the narrative) seen fit to explore that corner of his psyche.

  7. - Top - End - #217
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    The Divided States
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Shipping Oona and O-Chul <3

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    We have no indication that O-Chul is celibate, but assuming he is, it is really inconsiderate to say, "well, that's all the more reason for him to completely change his lifestyle to fit into my theory."

    Think about it a different way. "Bob has a moral issue with eating animals, so he's been a vegetarian for 30 years." "Well, all the more reason for him to be ready for this steak!" No. It doesn't work like that.
    Yeah, I mentioned that in my original post. I just get that feeling from the way he acts. Maybe not celibate, but not something he would necessarily pursue... Mostly I was just saying that I don't think we are going to see O-Chul get a love interest because it doesn't seem to be in character for him, and is definitely unnecessary to his arc.

  8. - Top - End - #218
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Kish's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2004

    Default Re: Shipping Oona and O-Chul <3

    It's also entirely possible that O-Chul, as an individual, is asexual. We just shouldn't be treating anything we've seen so far other than his lack of an established romantic or sexual relationship as evidence in that direction.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "The really unforgivable acts are committed by calm men in beautiful green silk rooms, who deal death wholesale, by the shipload, without lust, or anger, or desire, or any redeeming emotion to excuse them but cold fear of some pretended future. But the crimes they hope to prevent in the future are imaginary. The ones they commit in the present--they are real." --Aral Vorkosigan

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.

  9. - Top - End - #219
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2013

    Default Re: Shipping Oona and O-Chul <3

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    We have no indication that O-Chul is celibate, but assuming he is, it is really inconsiderate to say, "well, that's all the more reason for him to completely change his lifestyle to fit into my theory."

    Think about it a different way. "Bob has a moral issue with eating animals, so he's been a vegetarian for 30 years." "Well, all the more reason for him to be ready for this steak!" No. It doesn't work like that.
    I have no reason to believe O-Chul has taken any vows of celibacy, so there are no "moral issues" along those lines.

    O-Chul has devoted his life to his cause - serving Azure City. But there comes times in everyone's life where your priorities change. He is getting older. He can't keep fighting battles forever, as was lampshaded by Hinjo when sending him off on this mission.

    He has earned his 'happiness ever after', and Oona is the woman who can help him get there. She is the companion he needs: strong, independant, honorable. They will both help each other grow and support each other through the years to come.

    And yes, for the vast majority of people, I believe 'happiness ever after' includes a romantic partner. We're just built that way, and I haven't seen anything in this comic to indicate that sentient creatures are any different in the Stick-Verse.

    As I've said before, you have to take everything we know about O-Chul from the comic - all the conversations, and images, and information, and hold that tight in one hand. Then with the other reach out into his soul and feel for what his heart longs. Then you'll understand why Oona is perfect for O-Chul, and O-Chul is perfect for Oona.

    I am being nothing but considerate and respectful to both Oona and O-Chul: listen to their hearts beating together under the same starry sky. Read what Rich has written between the lines between the panels. Look at Oona's eyes in the last panel we see her in - she is gazing straight toward O-Chul!!! How much more foreshadowing can we have, being as we've already used up the forty foot flaming letters?
    Skipper of the Good Ship O-ChOona (accepting crew applications)
    Launched June 3, 2016. Oona+O-Chul OTP Forever!!!!

    "Like a tenacious child we were born, born to be wild ...
    we're gonna climb so high we're never gonna die" - Steppenwolf

  10. - Top - End - #220
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    littlebum2002's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2012

    Default Re: Shipping Oona and O-Chul <3

    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    The location of the Tavern of Infinite One-Night Stands clearly indicates it's compatible with Lawful Good and of interest to a significant number of Lawful Good characters
    This is a great way of putting it.

  11. - Top - End - #221
    Troll in the Playground
     
    martianmister's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Turkey
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Shipping Oona and O-Chul <3

    This thread reminds me Icewall series.
    Spoiler
    Show

  12. - Top - End - #222
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2013

    Default Re: Shipping Oona and O-Chul <3

    Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    This thread reminds me Icewall series.
    Sound like a good series, though I remember the Dragonlance world always being kind of light with romance compared with the Forgotten Realms.

    Now with the readers' attentions diverted by the Belkar red-herring ship-tease, O-Chul and Oona will be able to come back as a surprise to those not paying enough attention to all the blatant clues laid out so far.

    A lot can happen under the cover of darkness, even more when that darkness is off panel.
    Skipper of the Good Ship O-ChOona (accepting crew applications)
    Launched June 3, 2016. Oona+O-Chul OTP Forever!!!!

    "Like a tenacious child we were born, born to be wild ...
    we're gonna climb so high we're never gonna die" - Steppenwolf

  13. - Top - End - #223
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    A Michigan Far, Far Away
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Shipping Oona and O-Chul <3

    Quote Originally Posted by mouser9169 View Post
    A lot can happen under the cover of darkness...
    You mad, romantic fool. Come on over and see me some time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •