New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default DrK's Age of Worms IC pt3

Since the beginning of history, humanity has measured time in Ages. Ages of Glory, of Dreams, and even of Great Sorrows mark the human tally of years, giving a sense of order to the events of past centuries. But one age has yet to occur - an age of darkness, of decay, and of writhing doom. Witty bards and wrathful preachers know it as the Age of Worms, weaving it into the peripheries of their passion plays as a mythic era of destruction that could begin at any time. Astrologers, diviners, and the servants of Fate know more. The canniest among them fear that the Age of Worms has already begun

Last edited by DrK; 2016-06-09 at 01:13 AM.
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: DrK's Age of Worms IC pt3

Mirriana steps back from the battle line, converting Mystara's gift to magical power, wounds closing up as she emerges from the cloying unholy blight. Muddy, the clumsy earth elemental joins her a moment later, rocky claws fastening the healing belt loosely around Mir's thin waist. Merrick points tentacles at the bloodhulk and the insane Kyuss cleric, the long teethed tendrils tearing the undead flesh but being deflected by the heavy chain around Bozal.

The cleric points at the party - "The Age of Worms shall come. The rituals cannot be stopped now and the spawn of Kyuss will destroy this city and the God of Undeath shall reduce this place to the ground! This I, Bozal, shall swear and drag your souls screaming from your wretc.....". He is interrupted horribly as the trident stabs into fat stomach and he coughs up a gobbet of thick red blood. Even as the cleric is interrupted Talsien, Zarina and Mirriana all savage the bloodhulk, the sword, claws and club ripping and smashing into unrecognisable smears of bloody flesh. Blood splashing over all three in a thick wave of red gore.

Zohal looks daggers at the party, hate filling his eyes as he gestures at the party once more, this time unleashing a devastating wave of magic. His dark power reaching out tear Lan's heart from his chest. The halfling feels a horrific feeling of cold death wash over him a his heart begins to pulse and appear in Bozal's clawed hand!

Spoiler: Temple of DOOOOOOM
    Show

Throwing a vial of unholy water on the floor the the roof of the temple swirls around with dark power before black clouds and green streaked rain pours form the roof burning the skin of all but Merrick and muddy where it lands!

Spoiler: Bozal bringing out the big guns
    Show

Standard: Cast Heartripper at Lan!
    The caster holds out his hand and the still beating heart of the victim appears within it!
    Fort DC20 or die within 2 rounds ; if pass 25 damage

Swift: Burn 5 turn undead for Divine (quicken): Unholy storm in 20ft emanation from him
    Rain of unholy water doing 9 to all good aligned creatures within 20ft - so most of the party!
    - -4 to spot/listen/ranged attacks

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Merrick

Irriatation and confusion washes over Merrick as the cleric apparently wants him to be wet.

No matter. Avoid the perimeter of this mist, I cannot control it, he advises his companions.

Tenebrous compels the mage to not take any action before the rest of his associates, so he waits before conjuring the multi-coloured mist.

Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

As the cleric casts his spell, Lan felt a pressure in his chest ... then it was as if something inside him tore. In the cleric's hand, a flickering image of a small heart appeared as the bastard squeezed. But before it could burst, the heart disappeared, leaving the evil priest's hand empty. Lan smirked, spitting blood at the man. He was obviously hurt, but moving as quickly as he could without vomiting, he sped away from the priest and down the wall, only to spin and throw his trident back at the unholy man ... with unerring accuracy at the man's chest ...

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Attack in OOC: 29 to hit (potential crit), 25 to confirm. 19 dam (or 26 if confirmed)

Boo.

Yah.

Status
    HPs: 3/56; AC: 22
    F +11, R +17, W +8
    Spells: living prints; embrace the wild
    Spell-like abilities: Shield Other; Sanctuary
    Effects: living prints (4hrs); mass conviction (+3 saves [morale] / 4min); bless (+1 Att/ save vs fear [morale], 4min); embrace the wild (+3 Spot/Listen; low-light vision/ blind sense 30' / 40 min); Darkvision 60' (1hr); spider climb (50 min?); haste [+1 att/Ref, +30 speed, 1 extra attack; 1 more rnd); sickened (-2 all rolls, 2 more rnds)

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by Starbin; 2016-06-10 at 12:33 AM.
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

5. - Top - End - #5

E Fects

Spoiler: Po-i-son Mist~o!
    Show
    D8 Roll Color Effect
    1 Red 1d4 Points of fire damage
    2 Orange 1d6 Points of acid damage
    3 Yellow 1d8 Points of electricity damage
    4 Green Poison; 1d4 points of str damage. Fort save negates
    5 Blue Slowed for 1 round. Will save negates
    6 Indigo Lesser Confusion for one round. Will save negates, mind-effecting
    7 Violet Dazed for 1 round. Will save negates
    8 N/A At the junction of two colors; roll twice more ignoring any '8' results
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

6. - Top - End - #6

Muddy

Hurrying over to his Master's fallen friend, the small dirtman pours a potion of faintly peppermint undertones down his throat.

Spoiler
    Show
    It would have been s grand Cure Serious Wounds.(3d8+6)[24]

Spoiler
    Show
    Poor Muddy. He will never be rid of this potion at this rate.
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2016-06-10 at 12:12 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Taliesn

Taliesn hops back, out of the rain and away from Merrick's mist (which he remembers all too well). He shakes his fur. Can't get close to the cleric. This will have to do. He opens his mouth and spits a stream of acid in the direction of their final foe.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Move action back to the doorway or anywhere else 30' from the cleric.
    Swift action to put 2 essentia into dissolving spittle. The remaining point will remain in vambraces (DR 4/magic)
    Standard action spitting touch attack: (1d20+8)[21] (Not sure if the -4 to ranged attacks still applies if I have moved out of the rain but must still shoot through it; if so, subtract 4.)
    acid - (3d6)[11]
    Not nearly as satisfying as a good claw attack. I need to learn to rend, and to power attack.
    Last edited by Stegyre; 2016-06-09 at 07:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by redzimmer View Post
    history's worst MLP cosplay.
    Custom Class

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Hearts are narrowly saved, unholy rain that sears the skin falls from the black stone roof as Zarina feels a chill at the horror of the battle. The colourful mists surrounding the priest don't obscure the vision of him as another trident thrust plunges deep into his body! The beast's skin sizzles slightly as acid spittle splashes over him.

Zarina looks at her allies, all wounded horribly and feels worry. Looking back at the cleric behind the strange green beam of light and his glittering anti-life ward, alone now as her 3 mirror images blink from existence under the black and green streaked rain. "What do we do?" she shouts to Mirriana, "We can't stay here, this black rain will kill on in the state we are in." Her eyes looking up at Lan and Goat in particular.

Seeing the rain falling she reached out a hand channelling the last of her golden belt's healing into the raging barbarian.

Spoiler: Zarina heal Goat
    Show

Heal belt last charge (2d8)[5]

Spoiler: Status
    Show

Hps 35/54
    Saves +8/7/6 +2 VS EVIL +3
    AC 27 ff 27 T 12 +2 vs EVIL

Dragonskin (red) +3 NA, fire 10; 57 mins
    Bless (+1 hit, +1 morale vs fear) 7 mins
    Conviction (+3 saves) 7 mins
    Protec from Evil +2 deflect/Saves vs Evil 9 mins
    Shield 12 mins
    B.Strength 3 mins
    Haste 1 rounds

Devotion +2

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Mirriana

I sigh in anguished frustration. We retreat, I send to the others. There's no sense standing in this rain when most of us can't hurt him. But we can't let him get away either! Muddy, can you glide to the other side and keep him penned into the Must by his anti-life shell? Tal, can you cut off his escape by blinking?

I retreat beyond the storm and activate a charge of the healing belt.
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2016-06-10 at 03:17 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

Merrick

Merrick sends the mental command for Muddy to move where directed by Mirriana. The flemental leaves the potion beside Goattracker before moving.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Goat

The cleric furiously casts his gaze around for who or what has caused the latest pain. In his delirious state, it takes him almost a full second to find the real enemy. All of his animalistic impulses scream at him to charge forward and slay the foe! Murder him! Butcher him! Make him pay! MAKE HIM PAY! But then a noise in his head begins. Softly at first but growing and growing until it becomes a deafening angelic song. He hears the wise words of his Chieftess... And with her mere mental utterance, his barbaric rage ends.

And he runs away.

The cleric sighs.

He failed this day.

He failed his friends, the people of this wondrous city and the whole world.

He would not let it happen again.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cure Serious Wounds on Goat: (3d8+6)[17]

DMing:
    ❶ AGAINST THE GIANTS: IC | OOC

12. - Top - End - #12

Merrick

As she falls back, Merrick hands his toothed tentacles wands over to Mirriana.

Remember me. Avenge me if I fall, he says.

As Muddy glides to the far side of the shell and mist, Merrick moves to the spell edge on his side.
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2016-06-10 at 04:09 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Taliesn
    Quote Originally Posted by RCgothic View Post
    Mirriana

. . . Tal, can you cut off his escape by blinking?
    The cursed rain, the spreading, colored mist, the evil priest's strange field that hedged out life. (Can't even blink into that.) This battlefield left a lot to be desired.

But this cleric was doomed. He could only have so many tricks up his sleeves, and sooner or later . . .

I'm going behind the West door, first. Taliesn figures the strange light beam should allow him to see. The North door isn't yet in range, anyway, but it would be from behind the West door. Those doors surely block all the arcane chaos.

His eyes go slightly out of focus, as he visualizes his position on the other side of the door – and then he is there.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Swift action to shift essentia into Blink Shirt, DR 4/magic.
    Standard action blink. I've got a 30' range, which should be able to put me directly on the other side of the door, just south of where the beam comes through.

Let's see what's behind Door Number One.
    Last edited by Stegyre; 2016-06-11 at 07:18 PM.
    Custom Class

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

With the rain pouring down from the ceiling Lan, Mirriana, Goat and Zarina retreat to the south end of the room, the tiefling's gleaming eyes glittering through the black rain and shimmering prismatic mist as he watches them, the 3 spell casters using healing magic to knit wounds back together.

The look is cut short as the trident flashes out again skewering him, leaving him staggered against the wall. Talsien joins in spitting acid at the creature from the back of the room.

With the room filling with prismatic mist and unholy rain Merrick and Muddy run into the rain. Muddy pushing open the Western doors as he peers down a 25ft corridor lit by the eerie green beam. It terminates in a stone circle blocking the corridor, the stone depicted with an orgy of dad wirm ridden corpses. In the middle of the mass of corpses a worm filled skull of Kyuss screams in silent triumph. The entire stone disc and far end of the passage is sheathed in a green glow like the green beam hitting the surface and spreading around it, forming a sphere of the strange green energy that must be 20 or 30ft in diameter....

Bozal clutches his chest where multiple penetrating trident wounds leak blood and gore soaking his armour. He staggers back towards the north door lurching through the wooden door drawing a vellum scroll from the belt at his waist.
    Some 10ft up the narrow corridor beyond, by a stout wooden door decorated with images of worms and undead, he turns and reads from the scroll as a bubling mass of organic ooze slowly bulids up into a glistening mass of slime that fills the 20ft wide, 20ft tall altar room with a thin wall of glistening slime.

Spoiler: Bazol
    Show

Retreats 20ft north through the door drawing a scroll as he goes.
    Cast Wall of Ooze to run along north wall of the Altar room blocking the doorway from floor to ceiling.
    Wall of Ooze blocks LoS

Prismatic mist and Unholy storm remain
    Last edited by DrK; 2016-06-11 at 02:40 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15

Merrick

Lan, would you like to trade spots with Muddy?

The colours roll through the mist as Merrick pulls out his benign transposition wand.

Spoiler: Mist thing
    Show
    (1d8)[3] effect:

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Mirriana

"Merrick, wait!" I command. "Take Lan and Tal and Dimensional Door to cut off his escape! 30ft beyond that ooze! Muddy, glide past the ooze to hem him in! Zarina, Goat and I... we'll await your successful return. Lan, take this:" I channel my most potent healing spell into the badly injured scout. "Go now!"

Spoiler
    Show

Delay Death -> Cure Critical Wounds (4d8+7)[24]

You're moving out of my range now, so there's no point hoarding it...
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2016-06-12 at 01:55 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Still staggered, as the cleric cast his wall spell, Lan was greatful for the healing from Mirriana. Nodding, he gripped the trident and moved to join the others for the plan ...

Show
    Up to 27! Bglad to have a little room away from 3 ...

Status
    HPs: 27/56; AC: 22
    F +11, R +17, W +8
    Effects: living prints (4hrs); mass conviction (+3 saves [morale] / 4min); bless (+1 Att/ save vs fear [morale], 4min); embrace the wild (+3 Spot/Listen; low-light vision/ blind sense 30' / 40 min); Darkvision 60' (1hr); spider climb (50 min?); haste [+1 att/Ref, +30 speed, 1 extra attack; 1 more rnd); sickened (-2 all rolls, 2 more rnds)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Goat

The goliath pants heavily as he casts a healing spell. "Best of luck my friends."

Spoiler
    Show
    Cure Serious: (2d8+6)[12]

Last edited by Felhammer; 2016-06-12 at 02:11 AM.
    DMing:

19. - Top - End - #19

Merrick

Merrick focuses on the destination from the empathic direction relayed by familiar.

Casting dimension door, he transports Taliesn and Lan with him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Whoosh

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Mirriana and Goat pour healing energy into Tal, Lan and Merrick before with a pop the three of them vanish from view! Leaving the bloodied 3 warrior clerics/mage panting and watching the storm of unholy rain, the pulsing slick oozing wall and the swirling rainbow coloured mist....

Zarina looks at Mir' and Goat. "I hope the Gods keep them safe" she whispers pointing at the wall of ooze as fire blooms in the midst of it. "We must listen carefully, if there find trouble we may have to brave the ooze, mist and the storm to save them!" she gulps in the mild panic that such a thought provokes. He breath leaves her a second later as her accelerated perception fades, the haste spell wearing off them all.

Spoiler: Zarina
    Show

Fiery Burst on the OOZE wall (2d6)[8]

Hps 29/54 (lost another 6 from acid mist)
    Saves +8/7/6 +2 VS EVIL +3
    AC 27 ff 27 T 12 +2 vs EVIL

Dragonskin (red) +3 NA, fire 10; 57 mins
    Bless (+1 hit, +1 morale vs fear) 7 mins
    Conviction (+3 saves) 7 mins
    Protec from Evil +2 deflect/Saves vs Evil 9 mins
    Shield 12 mins
    B.Strength 3 mins

Devotion +2

-----

"POP" With a tear of ripping air the three heroes stumble out into a dimly lit room, Merrick and Lan landing on the wooden bed with filthy sheets that creaks alarmingly. A central pillar of green marble carved in the likeness of a segmented worm supports the ceiling of this square room. The room is dimly lit by a single incense burner that sheds a ripe fruity off-ripe aroma. The room is lined with woolen tapestries depicting coiling green worms and contains the rough bed, an armchair and a tall cupboard. Near the bed is a small nightstand with an ornate elongated trunk - an object that is both fascinating and disgusting, crafted from darkwood and bound with steel its covered in ornate depictions that are too small to make out in the dim light without closer investigation.

A door to the south is fractionally ajar - and you can guess Bozal must be behind it as a field of shimmering energy projects into the room that you recognise as the anti-life shell. Of more concern standing in front of that door and in front of the door to the west a are a pair of worm riddled Kyuss skeletons that hiss in anger as you stumble into the room. The waves of paralysing fear washing over the three of you!
    Spoiler: Fear saves!
    Show

2 x DC14 will save Vs fear please!

Lan and Talsien to act (depending on their ability to resist the terrifying Spawn fear!)
    Last edited by DrK; 2016-06-12 at 12:21 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

Merrick

I may have miscalculated.

Spoiler: vs. fear 2
    Show
    (1d20+13)[22]

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Taliesn

Lan, kill the cleric! To the others, Taliesn reports, Two more spawn in the cleric's chambers. I think we are holding.
    Spoiler: actions
    Show
    Taliesn will wait for Lan's action to see if Lan takes down Bozal.

A. If Bozal is still standing, standard action to spit at Bozal (ranged touch attack) (1d20+8)[23] (that's without any mods for Mirriana's bless, if still active or for being shaken on a successful fear save, so please adjust accordingly, if relevant), acid - (3d6)[9]. Followed by a 5' step toward the West spawn (protecting our caster and avoiding standing too close together). Swift action to move essentia to vambraces, DR 6/magic.

B. If Bozal is down, swift action to move essentia into landshark claws, instead, DR 4/magic; move action leap, standard action to claw the West spawn:
    claw - (1d20+15)[17] damage - (1d8+10)[16] (includes the -2 for shaken)
    claw - (1d20+15)[26] damage - (1d8+10)[15]
    claw - (1d20+15)[26] damage - (1d8+10)[11]
    claw - (1d20+15)[19] damage - (1d8+10)[15]
    Custom Class

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Lan felt a wave of fear wash over him as they entered the room, but managed to shake most of the effects off. He grunted in acknowledgement to Tal's direction. With trident in hand he let fly at the cleric

Show
    The way I understand it, Lan has to move 20' in a round, regardless of how. Also, I'm guessing Lan is at least 20' from the priest. So hear we go!

[roll=1d20+10[/roll], Dam - (5d6+3)[16]

Status
    F +11, R +17, W +8
    Effects: living prints (4hrs); mass conviction (+3 saves [morale] / 4min); bless (+1 Att/ save vs fear [morale], 4min); embrace the wild (+3 Spot/Listen; low-light vision/ blind sense 30' / 40 min); Darkvision 60' (1hr); spider climb (50 min?); shaken [-2 all rolls; 1 round); sickened (-2 all rolls, last round)

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

As the three larger armoured warriors await news of the battle the rest in Bozal's bed chamber have an explosive battle! Lan dives left, trident pinning the spawn to the door. Tal leaps in the air, long legs stretching out to tear the spawn apart with 4 rending slashes. As he does so the worms inhabiting the beast's body swarm over his claws seeking to burrow into his flesh and find out the soft juicy squishy bits of his brain. Those who are felled by the worms will soon rise as one!

Spoiler: @Tal
    Show

How do your to hit/dam work out?
    I end up few points shorter than you.

See OOC for the worms touch attacks on Tal.

The remaining spawn ensnared by the mist lurches forward, claws going for the wizard's throat, worm ridden corpse spilling worms over the anima mage.

Spoiler: Partial charge
    Show

Partial charge vs Merrick (1d20+11)[28] dam (1d6+6)[7] + WORM + DC12 or horrific disease

Bozal opens the door a crack and curses as he can't move forward against his abjuration. Keeping the door ajar he cackles as he channels a wave of negative energy into the room. Seconds later he calls upon the last of Kyuss's blessing, his holy reliquary symbol darkening as he launches a bolt of black darkness at Talsien, the crackling power dark and evil, angered at the casual way the shifter destroyed his spawn and Tal and Merrick trapping him in the mist!

Spoiler: Bozal
    Show

Convert Harm --> Inflict Moderate mass
    (2d8+11)[19] Will DC21 for half for all PCs. Spawn and Bozal heals that much.

Divine quicken Darkbolt at Tal
    (1d20+13)[24] Touch dam (5d8)[20] half cold, fort DC17 or stunned 1 round

Last edited by DrK; 2016-06-13 at 04:10 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Mirriana

I trap my sword against the ground, anxious about how the others are fairing up ahead. Instead I try and distract myself with other considerations. "So that beam of energy can't be good," I tell the others. "Any thoughts on how we stop it?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Another charge of the healing belt (2d8)[4]

26. - Top - End - #26

Merrick

Knowing it will leave him open to attack (and likely his death), Merrick smashes a vial of alchemical fire onto the spawn attacking him.

Taliesn, try to let the flame hit you! It will hurt, but the alternative would be much worse.

Spoiler: Ranged, if it hits all the better...
    Show
    (1d20+4)[5] to hit

Damage (1d6)[5]
    Yeah, well I still want the splash.
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2016-06-13 at 09:40 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Goat

The cleric taps himself with his healing wand as he comments, "Our friends will succeed."

Spoiler
    Show
    CLW Wand: (1d8+1)[7]
    DMing:

28. - Top - End - #28

Muddy

Understandably apoplectic, the little earth elemental tosses the alchemist's fire at the wall of ooze in opes of reaching his fallen Master.

Spoiler: Sploosh
    Show
    (1d20)[16] ranged at wall
    (1d6)[6] damage plus 1 splash to any adjacent wall squares.

Mist roll (1d8)[7]

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Zarina

Zarina looks at the other two biting her lip nervously. "I can't hear much, there's no screaming. With Tal and Lan I'm sure they can look after themselves and keep Merrick safe."

Staring at the ooze wall she gestures with a hand. More fire flaring as she targets the same square as Muddy did and that she did previously. The ooze wall starting to look thin and ragged on that corner.

Spoiler: Fiery burst
    Show

Fiery burst again (2d6)[6]

The left hand side is starting to look thin and frayed. More damage or abig lush could tear through it (the push would risk the acidic ooze paralysing you and starting to digest you.
    Last edited by DrK; 2016-06-14 at 12:42 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Another wave of pain washed over the halfling, eliciting a grunt from the small warrior. Seeing his companions drop, Lan growled to himself moved to the climp up to the corner of the room where the cleric could not see him. As he moved up, he slipped a potion out of his belt and held it tightly.

Show
    So the spot where Lan already is is out of visibility of the door? Shouldn't that mean he wasn't impacted by the inflict wounds? Or only the ceiling corner? If so, how high is the ceiling? If it looks like I'm just delaying the inevitable, and the spawn and the cleric are just going to walk right in on me, can Lan flee to the hallway?

Status
    F +11, R +17, W +8
    Effects: living prints (4hrs); mass conviction (+3 saves [morale] / 4min); bless (+1 Att/ save vs fear [morale], 4min); embrace the wild (+3 Spot/Listen; low-light vision/ blind sense 30' / 40 min); Darkvision 60' (1hr); spider climb (50 min?)