New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: DrK's Age of Worms IC pt3

The ranger gets in on the action as well, seeing Zarina (not seeing the halfling) he runs at her, triggering magic to let him move fast as sprays massive javelin sized bolts at her!

The first shatter her images, the illusions cracking into a thousand wisps of smoke, the third bouncing squarely off her chain armour.

Spoiler: ranger
    Show

(1d20+10)[29] dam (2d8+9)[18] + (3d6)[8] skirmish
    -- image (1d4)[4]

(1d20+10)[14] dam (2d8+9)[15] + (3d6)[10] skirmish
    -- image (1d4)[4] or (1d3)[2]

(1d20+10)[22] dam (2d8+9)[11] + (3d6)[5] skirmish
    -- image (1d3)[3] or (1d2)[1]

Last edited by DrK; 2016-08-09 at 02:04 AM.
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

Zarina

Zarina looks about as, so often in battle, the situation changes with Tal down and being thrown around by the crocodile, the crazed barbarian hacking at where she assumed Lan must be and nearly all of her images vanishing in a hail of crossbow bolts. Pin pricks of light flit by punching holes in the side of the crocodile from merrick, the wizard wisely hanging back. She looks towards where she assumes Lan must be, "Good luck Lan, I'm going after Tal." and races forward on her long legs, she leaps towards the beast propelled by her diminsing spell of quickness, as she falls she activates the wand on her sword, the blade becoming thin and translucent as she chops down with all her force! As she leaps it lashes out with its tail at her, the muscular appendage trying to bat her away....

Spoiler: Charge!
    Show

Crocodile AoO (1d20+11)[16] dam (1d12+15)[23]

Charge Crocodile
    Swift: Activate wand wraithstrike
    Attack (1d20+13)[18] Vs touch AC dam (2d8+30)[36]

+1 bless, +2 recitation, +2 charge, +1 haste, +2 KD, Str +4, weapon +1, BAB +7, PA -7 = 13
    +6 STr, +1wpn, +5 stance, +2 MS, +2 KD, +14 PA = 30

She leaps over the tail and lands with her blade tracing a massive arc through the air. The fullblade shearing into the crocodile that already injured by claws, Lan's arrow buried deep in its gut and the line of magic missile holes near its spine rolls over releasing the shifter onto the blood soaked sands as the demon croc is banished back to whence it came.

Spoiler: Status
    Show

Hps 63/63 + 14 False Life
    Saves +11/11/10
    AC 31 ff 29 T 15 -2 charge

Minor shift +2 dam 1 rounds
    Leading the Charge Stance
    Know Devotion: croc +2, dwarf +4

Spell Effects:
    False life (1d10+7)[14] 7 hours
    Dragonskin +3 NA, Fire res 10 70 minutes
    Mass resist Acid 80 minutes
    Mirror image 3 1 images, 7 minutes
    Shield (+6 ac) 14 minutes
    Bulls strength 3 minutes
    Karmic Aura (DC16 will or fatigued) 8 rounds
    Haste 3 rounds
    Recitation 8 rounds +2 luck atk/saves

M.Shield of Faith +3 deflect 80 mins
    M.Conviction +3 morale saves 80 mins
    Bless +1 hit 8 mins

Spells
    1st; Burning Hands, Shield x2, Karmic Aura, True strike, Protec' from Evil, Magic missile
    2nd: Scorching Ray, Heroics x 2, Mirror image, False Life
    3rd: Fireball, Dispel magic, Haste, Dragonskin
    4th: Polymorph, Wall Fire, Greater Invis
    Last edited by DrK; 2016-08-09 at 02:56 AM.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

Mirriana

It's a relief to see the giant crocodile vanish, but from this distance I can't tell whether Tal is still breathing. The barbarian is clearly pressing Lan, whilst the ranger continues to be mostly ineffective. Maybe goatttacker will need my help to put down this heretic, maybe not. How can I best hedge our effectiveness? A quick study of the shape of the battle gives me an answer.

"Goattracker, step North!" I call, hoping the command will somehow penetrate the fug of his rage.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: HP
    Show
    (1d20+27)[41] dam (2d6+19)[23] + (2d6)[6] unholy
    (1d20+18)[24] dam (2d6+10)[13] + (2d6)[11] unholy

Both attacks hit.

23+6=29
    13+11=24
    29+24=53

I have 18 Temp HP I forgot to deduct from the last attack (thanks to Rage).

53-18=35

Current HP 68.

68-35=33!

Goat

The Goliath roars in anger as he is beaten and battered. Goat whips Skullfinder back and brings the full might of the goliath people down upon the small man!

Spoiler: Attacks
    Show

I will Smite on Attack #1 for +8 damage.

Attack 1: [roll] 1d20+21[/roll] /// [roll] 4d8+32[/roll]

Attack 2: [roll] 1d20+15[/roll] /// [roll] 4d8+25[/roll]

Haste 1: [roll] 1d20+21[/roll] /// [roll] 4d8+25[/roll]

For crits, so I don't spam the OOC:

Attack 1: [roll] 1d20+21[/roll] /// [roll] 4d8+32[/roll]

Attack 2: [roll] 1d20+15[/roll] /// [roll] 4d8+25[/roll]

Haste 1: [roll] 1d20+21[/roll] /// [roll] 4d8+25[/roll]
    DMing:
    ❶ AGAINST THE GIANTS: IC | OOC

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

Mirriana

I try to resist wincing as skullfinder connects with skull and I step closer to my giant friend.

"Again Goattracker! Before he regains his wits!" I urge.

Confident that the enemy cleric is not long for this world, I turn my attention to the aid of our other teammates. With a prayer and a few holy motions I summon forth a divine blade to take some of the pressure off of Lan!

Spoiler
    Show
    5-ft step to get within 10ft of goat and outside threatened squares.

Swift: White Raven Tactics! Goat to go again!

Standard: Spiritual Weapon vs barbarian.
    Longsword: (1d20+11)[31] +7bab +4wis
    Damage: (1d8+2)[8] force

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

With a grunt, Lan cursed under his breath, the noise masked by the spell of silence. Rolling foreword last the rager, Lan slipped away towards his companions and fired off a number of shots at the barbarian.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Swift action to tumble to AY34. Full attack, rapid shot (w/skirmish!) vs Barbarian (remaining shots to the ranger, if the rager falls.

Tumble vs DC15 - (1d20+15)[17]
    Attack 1 - (1d20+17)[32], Damage - (6d6+3)[28]
    Attack 2 - (1d20+12)[32], Damage - (6d6+3)[30] (Attack 2 crit 31 for total dam - 43)
    Rapid attack - (1d20+17)[26], Damage - (6d6+3)[27]
    Haste - (1d20+17)[19], Damage - (6d6+3)[21]

Status
    HPs: 48/65; AC: 28, Move: 60'
    F +11, R +14, W +9
    Spells: surefooted stride, arrow mind
    Effects: Shield of Faith (+3 AC [deflection]; 75 min); (Conviction +3 saves [morale], 75 min); bless (+1 att/save vs fear [morale], 7 min); magic weapon (+1 att/dam [enh to bow]; 7 min); silence (on arrow, 20'; 8 min), Magic circle vs evil( Deflection to AC, +2 Resistance to Saves [10ft Radius of Mirriana]; surefooted stride (not affected by difficult terrain, 4 min); arrow mind (threaten w/bow, 4 min); haste (+1 att, AC [dodge], +30 move, 1 extra attack; 4 rnds); greater invisibility (3 rnds); see invisible (9min); travel devotion [55 rnds]; recitation (+3 attack/save [luck])
    Last edited by Starbin; 2016-08-10 at 01:27 AM.
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

Goat

The goliath licks his chops, "You heard chieftess! GOAT ATTACK AGAIN!" With the power and ferocity of a behemoth, the barbarian brings his greatclub down upon the dwarf three more times!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Yay, more attacks! Thanks RC!

Attack 1: (1d20+21)[22] /// (4d8+25)[41] <- Nat 1!!!!

Attack 2: (1d20+15)[23] /// (4d8+25)[40]

Haste 1: (1d20+21)[41] /// (4d8+25)[45] <- Potentially...

For crits, so I don't spam the OOC:
    Attack 1: (1d20+21)[32] /// (4d8+25)[39]

Attack 2: (1d20+15)[20] /// (4d8+25)[44]

Haste 1: (1d20+21)[36] /// (4d8+25)[37]
    <- PROBABLY!!!!!!!

Last edited by Felhammer; 2016-08-10 at 01:59 AM.
    DMing:

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

As the dwarves fight back hard. Both Talsien and Goat looking battered and bloody the crowd roaring in delight at the bloody spectacle. Especially that of the two massive giants thrashing at each other with hammer and club the heroes call upon whatever inner reserves they have left! Zarina races in sword slicing hard as she and the flying magical missiles from Merrick banish the crocodile.

Lan spins, a tiny invisible engine of destruction. Arrows flying faster than than eye can follow; the first slipping into the barbarian's throat as the dwarf as he tumbles away from the raging beserker. Spinning ignoring the felled dwarf the next three arrows fly towards the ranger, only missing, the suprised ranger toppling backwards, blood leaking from the twin arrows in his chest.

By the tentacles in the clash of giants the might of Kavaki is proven! Twice the club rises and falls to no avail deflected by the dwarf's hellish enchantments and thick armour but the third blow with power of the mountain god lands true. The club shattering helm and skull and smashing the cleric dead to the ground!

The crowd leap to their feet as the dwarves are dispatched. Mirriana standing in the centre can feel the roar like a physical force and from her vantage can see Raknian throwing his glass to the ground in rage, the purple cloaked Okoral spinning and storming off face dark with rage! The old yellow robed mage rising to his feet and his magically spelled voice filling the stadium. "Behold the winners! The Owlbears. Please, heroes of the sands come forward and receive your prize!....

9. - Top - End - #159
    Firbolg in the Playground

Merrick

Almost disappointed, Merrick dismisses the black tentacles and walks over to still-unconscious Taliesn.

"Stand and be cheered, my friend," he says as he pours his belt healing into him.

Spoiler: One charge
    Show
    (2d8)[9]
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

10. - Top - End - #160
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Taliesn

Taliesn wakes and rises, as his wounds continue to (slowly) heal. Thank you. I needed that. He surveys the carnage approvingly. He joins the others in approaching the reviewing stand.
    Quote Originally Posted by redzimmer View Post
    history's worst MLP cosplay.
    Custom Class

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Cure
    Show
    Cure... 2d8... Wounds ;) (2d8+7)[15]

Goat

The goliath swings his hands up in the air and howls. He breathes in the crowd's cheers like a small child woofs down candy. "GOAT! GOAT! GOAT!" He chants as he swings his club around wildly! He struts around, basking in the adulation. Eventually, he notices his friends assembling to to receive their prize. He drops his guard and his rage. He becomes noticeably less buff (although the other magical effects affecting his frame are still active) as he stands by his companions, eagerly - if a bit tiredly - waiting for the prize.
    Last edited by Felhammer; 2016-08-15 at 07:41 PM.
    DMing:

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Even as the others gather to earn their rewards, Lan used the last of his invisibility to check the dwarves - both to gather arrows and ensure no one was faking. After a few moments, he suddenly appeared behind the group, standing still as the crowds continued to feed Goat's ego.

Show
    I considered strip-searching the dwarves, as well as ensuring they didn't wake up, but decided that someone can probably see invisible, and that might be against the rules

Status
    F +11, R +14, W +9
    Effects: Shield of Faith (+3 AC [deflection]; 75 min); (Conviction +3 saves [morale], 75 min); bless (+1 att/save vs fear [morale], 7 min); magic weapon (+1 att/dam [enh to bow]; 7 min); silence (on arrow, 20'; 8 min), Magic circle vs evil( Deflection to AC, +2 Resistance to Saves [10ft Radius of Mirriana]; surefooted stride (not affected by difficult terrain, 4 min); arrow mind (threaten w/bow, 4 min); haste (+1 att, AC [dodge], +30 move, 1 extra attack; 4 rnds); greater invisibility (3 rnds); see invisible (9min); travel devotion [55 rnds]; recitation (+3 attack/save [luck])

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

Mirriana

Less than half a minute. That's how quickly this bloodbath unfolded. Once more our battle plan turned out to be useless, but I suppose I can't argue with results! It's an enormous relief when Taliesn stirs and his thoughts reestablish our group thinkspace. It had been quite disconcerting to be without it.

Even as the crowd hails our victory I self-congratulate, nodding to myself as I survey the aftermath of a job well done. I realise I did none of the heavy lifting this time around, yet I still feel like I contributed well. That Raknian and Okoral are so out out fills me with perverse pressure. And all the evil dwarves are dead. I'm not exactly sad about that either.

I raise my sword in victory salute to the crowd, turning to salute each stand in turn. When I get to Celeste I break out in a relieved grin and blow her a kiss. Then I approach the box to receive our prize, patting my companions on the back as and when they come within reach.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

In the chaos of the aftermath Lan is able to sweep around the bodies of the ranger and the barbarian unseen by anyone. Even the rules wise wizard distracted by the chaos and flurry of activity. The wizard bids you close to the box and approach the nobility.
    Spoiler: Lan
    Show

Lan would have the opportunity to grab something small. Both barbarian and scout have amulets, belts and rings but anymore than that, say like an Axe or boots would be pretty obvious as they vanished.

Looking about he looks confused that Raknian looks to have vanished and turns to a massive fat nobleman with a rotund belly and long oiled beard. "Victors. Please accept this Silver Dwarf to record your victory. THe Lord Dansik will present it." THe fat lord rises slowly to his feet and steps to the edge of the platfrom whereupon Talibir summons a platform to allow the noble to float to the sand. He approaches the party flanked by 4 of the arena guards, his podgy fat eyes eagerly staring at Mirriana and Zarina whilst shying away from the savage Talsien and the massive and blood splattered Goat. Only Lan and Merrick looknig more "normal". "You fight well. You have given me much to think about. I will be betting on you come the next round and after this arena my guild has always need of strong arms to guard caravans." Looking about at the crowd he raises a fat hand bedecked in jewels. "Hail champpions" and the crowd answers with a great roar! He hands Mirriana and Goat a silver statue of a dwarven warrior bedecked with armour. And in a quieter voice "Your manager will also be presented with a promissary note for 5000 gold councils (gp)"

Zarina smiles nervously amidst it all as she looks at the baying crowd and the arena teams drag the four bodies of the dwarves away. Long blood trails smeared across the sand marking their passage. The crowd are left to cheer at you all for a few minutes before Talabir rises again and the noble withdraws. "Hail the Owlbears! We shall see them again on the morrow for the next fight as they battle either the beast or the rival champions..."

Feel free to chat to the lord. Bask in the adulation or send messages via radio Talsein to Eligos

15. - Top - End - #165

Merrick

Tears streaming down his ram-horn bedecked personage, Merrick-Focalor takes solace knowing the dwarves will be given a proper funerary rite.

"Milord," Merrick addresses the fat lord with a polite bow, "I have been seeking a patron for my studies of late. Perhaps when these games are finished I may present my portfolio to you?"
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

16. - Top - End - #166
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Taliesn

As his body continues to heal, Taliesn takes the opportunity to discretely heal the others.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not sure who else has injuries, but I can heal 11 HP on each person each hour.

I take half that amount as damage, but that's gone within 3 rounds.

No longer any need to expend healing resources unless we are rushed.
    Custom Class

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Lan raised an eye at the obese man eyeing the ladies and offering up a statue of a silver dwarf. He thought to himself Ironic and the choice of prize, then waited for the others to finish chatting up the nobles. Instead, his eyes searched the stands for signs of their two biggest fans who had run off ...

Show
    Hmmm ... Given grabbing some small stuff, I believe halflings have a think for rings So any rings first, then belts (time permitting).

Status
    F +11, R +14, W +9
    Effects: Shield of Faith (+3 AC [deflection]; 75 min); (Conviction +3 saves [morale], 75 min); bless (+1 att/save vs fear [morale], 7 min); magic weapon (+1 att/dam [enh to bow]; 7 min); silence (on arrow, 20'; 8 min); surefooted stride (not affected by difficult terrain, 4 min); arrow mind (threaten w/bow, 4 min); see invisible (9min); travel devotion [55 rnds]

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

Lan, standing by the barbarian and ranger, is able to quickly slip a ring off each fallen foes finger before his absence becomes conspicuous in the roaring and cheering of the crowd. The rings look interesting. The barbarian's ring is spiked with teeth and metal barbs, the ranger's is tarnished with runes of half closed eyes.

Spoiler: Rings
    Show

Ring of Might: allows a 1d8 unarmed attack. Leaves a mark of a circle of barbed teeth until healed

Ring if darkhidden: invisible to darkvision.

The fat merchant lord looks at Merrick and nods. "There is always a use for powerful mages in my world.." He doesn't get much more out as the crowd driwns out more and soon enough the arena guards are motioning you back towards the lift to return you to the Coenby. Talabir's last announcement filling you with anticipation. "You will see them this evening. Will the face a team of heroes or will they face "The beast"..... The reminder that tomorrow the last three teams, two have a matched fight, the third facing the mystery beast, perhaps the one the guards spoke of the previous night.

As you are plunged back into the dim cool caves of the Coenby the remaining teams watch you warily. The necromancers closing their doors to pointedly ignore you buy both Auric and the draconians giving you respectful nod and smile as you and not the unpopular dwarves return!

19. - Top - End - #169

Merrick

Exulting in his victory, Merrick ponders his next actions.

With the prospect of a patron, he could take over the Illithid's lab. Possibly take on an apprentice or two.

A fully-stocked lab could aid in their quest to eradicate Kyuss as well, so he goal would not be completely self-serving, he assured himself.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Taliesn

You want to set up shop in a SEWER, where you were IMPRISONED??

I do not know if you have merely forgotten what it smelled like or if your involuntary time there gave you a liking for it.

We drove a necromancer from a tower outside of Diamond Lake, where some of us first met. I think it would make you a much nicer base of operations – though it would be a bit further from the center of things.

Spoiler
    Show
    The sewer hideout is mine, MINE, I say! I will not see it infested with a weakminded species that are good for nothing but cattle.
    Custom Class

21. - Top - End - #171

Merrick

The wizard shakes his head.

Oh yes, I forgot I was part of a hive-mind for a moment there. But I would like to loot the mind-flayer's lab first. He may have been a simple-minded spell-flinger, but his experiments intrigue me...

The outraged whispers that follow just confuse him.
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2016-08-21 at 09:40 PM.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

Mirriana

I nod respectfully to The Leatherworks as we pass. As we get back to our quarters it's time for a team conference.

"Ok team, that went well though I'm sure we all agree we could have fought more cohesively. Are there any items that could be useful? I'm thinking a scroll or two of Revivify might not go amiss after our recent experiences."

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Lan didn't respond to any of the other teams one way or another, simply eyeing them all with a blank stare. Once they were alone, and Mirriana spoke, he tossed two rings on the table. "Found those ... might be useful. As for the fight, the speed, silence and invisibility helped me. I just couldn't get to the cleric in time. Guess we need to think about who's left and what that might mean. Don't the champs use a golem? What do we expect from the dragons? Guessing those necros will drain life ... or kill us straight out. Might need something to protect against that."

Show
    Probably need some death ward scrolls ... and adamantine weapons.

Status
    F +11, R +14, W +9
    Effects: Shield of Faith (+3 AC [deflection]; 75 min); (Conviction +3 saves [morale], 75 min)

24. - Top - End - #174

Merrick

"I think we will need to find out our next opponent first," Merrick say, "I am regrettably unsuited for fighting golems, so I would focus on the warrior Auric. Then disable the mage before he looses lightning in the constructs."

He looks at the dragonborn and necromancers.

"Our manager should have scouted them more since the last match. His insights might help with strategy. Or, we may draw "Monster Fight" and all our stratagems are for naught."

He tries to recall the remarks he overheard from the arena guards from last night.
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2016-08-23 at 03:36 PM.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Taliesn

Merrick's spells were a great help to me

until my luck ran out
    , Taliesn adds privately to himself.

My claws and protections could be better, but I don't know how your spells might help with that. We could buy or make some things, but not while we are in this contest.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Displacement was great! That was quite a nice run.

Is Lan up to 2nd level Ranger spells? Since demons have started showing up in our dungeons and watching our arena fights, I've become very interested in getting access to align fang.
    Custom Class

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

Goat

Goat takes a seat in the largest chair and munches on some food. As he takes a big bite of an apple, he says, "We were victorious today because we used strategy. We should use that again. He says this in the most innocent way possible. As if he is revealing some unbelievable truth.

Also, Friend Merrick, your spell that makes Skullfinder so big is my favorite. When we die, I shall take you to the Great Ram's hall, where you can personally show your spell to Kavaki!
    Last edited by Felhammer; 2016-08-23 at 05:50 PM.
    DMing:

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

Zarina

Zarina looks around. Impressed by the skill at arms and power displayed by her companions. "I'm glad we did so well. Those crocodiles were unexpected. Would we be able to do something similar if we acquired a scroll of sufficient power? Regardless I am once more in awe of your skills. I had not believed a man could be that strong Goattracker to have crushed foes so easily. Or for so many arrows to hit so so hard Lan." She smiles, relatively happy at the outcome of the fight, and secretly relieved that she only crossed blades with fiendish beasts rather than killing other sentient creatures.

--------------

The rest of the afternoon passes easily. The dragons and the leather works head up to the rapturous heroes welcome that Auric, Champion of the Free City Arnea has come to expect. Judging by the cheers and the occasional dull booming explosion its a hard fought battle until after you hear the massive cheers and stamping of feet through the stone ceiling the Leather Works return down stairs. Both Khellek and Auric looking tired and Auric a mass of blood stained wounds and faint pink scars of newly healed flesh. He grins at you all he shouts for beer - "Aye, Auric is Champion again. If we meet next I will be glorious in victory but then we will drink together." beside Khellek merely strokes his pointed beard and observes you all quietly, eyes fixing mostly on Merrick and Zarina, his arcane opposites.

------------

The evening draws around quickly as preparations are made. And soon you are led once more up to the arena floor. A great hush falling on the crowd as the three teams - The Leather Works, the Skulls of Murq and the Owlbears assemble on the stands. This time the gathering is a bit less formal. Chairs and drinks laid out and as you stand on 3 small stages you can see amidst the crowds drinks and food but among the nobility gathered around the food laden tables on the arena sand there is Eligos still in his red sorcerous robes, Celeste in a glimmering silver dress and Ekaym looking happy with a small chest that you assume must be your winnings. Of Raknian and Okoral there is no sign!

Talabir rises and raises a glass to the three remaining teams as a servant brings drinks to you all. "People of the Free City, your champions lie amidst the these three brave and heroic teams. On the morrow two of these teams shall battle each other," at this everyone looks at yourselves and the Skulls (tradition normally results in the defending champions facing "the beast"). Talabir nods and smiles as the crowd in the stands cheer and holler. Accordingly Lord Raknian, who is sadly indisposed this evening, and myself drew for the fights. At sunrise tomorrow the Leatherworks shall battle the Skulls or Murq, at 4 bells past sunrise the Owlbears shall battle Madtooth.. he doesn't get much further as the stadium erupts in shouting, cheering and booing in equal measure. The crowds also surprised by thechange in tradition. Celeste and Eligos catching your eyes with a grim expression. Even Auric looks stunned, his normal happy expression left looking confused. The cluster of necromancers scowl looking at the Auric and Khellek with barely concealed hate.

It takes a few minutes for the crowd to calm and then then some more time for them to start dispersing as Talabir waves at the three teams. "Brave champions all. Come, see your friends and the good and great of the Free City and partake of the feast as tomorrow.... you fight!"

28. - Top - End - #178

Merrick O'Fey

Have any of you a remaining invisibility? I might want our Muddy to engage in reconnoitering this "Madtooth".

Outwardly, Merry eats merrily enough, giving off an aura of disinterest.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

Merrick O'Fey

Have any of you a remaining invisibility? I might want our Muddy to engage in reconnoitering this "Madtooth".

Outwardly, Merry eats merrily enough, giving off an aura of disinterest.
    Zarina

As Merrick speaks about the invisibility Zarina shakes her head. "I'm afraid not. I drew heavily upon my powers today and did not prepare the arcane sigils of any more stealth based magics. Sadly my skills do no lean that way. When this is over If you would permit I would like to offer an exchange of spells, you have some incantations that I don't recognise and I think the same is true in reverse." She looks for the others and then heads across to them. "What do you think this Madtooth is? Though I suspect with the break in tradition something foul is afoot!"

----

With the mingling commencing Eligos and Celeste approach you. Celeste greeting each of you warmly whilst Eligos maintains his somewhat cold and haughty demanour. It is the sage however that speaks first. "Your foray into the the strange undertemple has put Raknian off his game. He has missed several meetings of note with apologies of illness. I have also done more research on this Bozal that you encountered. He is a vagabond and dangerous. My notes and the information I could divine first have him arriving in the Free City 2 years ago where he was almost thrown out as he began to preach "doom" and the coming of an a "apocalypse of worms". Somehow he made contact with Raknian. I suspect that Raknian has somewhat unpleseant hobbies, a number of women he has courted have vanished over the years. Sadly in this case... he nods at Ekaym here who is thankfully out of earshot, "This one was Ekaym's sister. I suspect that Bozal got involved with it and has been holding that over Raknian to subvert him down this dark path. Raknian, for all his faults, was once a good man. But he has become dark of late and it cannot be a coincidence. I suspect though that whilst he may want all of you dead it is Auric that he bears the most resentment for. if Auric wins he shall beat Raknian's arena record and people already speak of him as the "greatest ever", something that Loris will not abide. I think he is aiming to see Auric in the final of the games and sacrifice him to the growing worm of Kyuss to seal the ritual. Kyuss magic is foul and to appease the Ulugursta it will have to be fed."

He falls silent slightly as Ekaym arrives. A smile on his face. "I have good news. We have made almost 2000 crowns wagering on your match and many now speak of you as rivals to the Leatherworks. Would you like me to invest your winnings into the next match or is there any supplies or healing you would like me to purchase. Whilst I could not visit in the morning the guards will allow me to purchase some supplies and hand them down. I may also haeva clue as to the nature of the beast. One of the senior beast guards boasted to me that "my mighty owlbears" would be as nothing for his beast. It took 40 men to drag it from the frozen tundra and it will leave nothing more of you than frozen chips to chill his ale... I do not know how much is exaggeration but it may be that the beast has been captured in the icy barbarian lands.

30. - Top - End - #180

Merrick

"It does seem odd, and after the encounter with the dwarves, I no longer believe in coincidences," Merrick says.

"In fact, I would not be surprised to find the whole arena staff aligned against us. We should not allow them to 'hand over' any item, as it may be adulterated to fail us when in the throes of battle. Also, between our matches and any information Bozsl may provide, they know our tactics. I would be surprised if this Tundra Beast will suddenly be warded against fire, or prove ethereal."

We should completely alter our tactics.

After some time discussion passes, Merrick retires for the night.
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2016-08-26 at 01:54 PM.