Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Warhammer 40K Tabletop XXVI: Frequently Asked, Frequently Ignored

Warhammer 40,000 in the Playground

I'm new to the hobby. Which army should I start?
    It really depends on what you want to play. And how your meta-game shapes up. Find out what everyone else is playing near you, and play anything not those armies for best results. Otherwise, if you're starting from scratch with no-one really to play with - or, you've got a friend who is also starting from scratch - buy the Dark Vengeance starter box.

What's Dark Vengeance?
    Dark Vengeance contains a rulebook and a bunch of dice.

It contains roughly 850 Points worth of Dark Angels. However, it only contains around 500 points worth of Chaos Space Marines. Of course, if you're playing DV as it's meant to be played, you're never using all of the models at once so the points difference doesn't really matter.

However, in practical terms, the Dark Angels are only barely legal and lack enough Scoring models. And, while the CSMs are legal, they're almost 300 points behind and lack anything that packs a decent punch. You will also need the relevant Codecies for your faction as it will dramatically change the way you play the game as opposed to using the reference sheets that come with DV.

How much does it cost?
    The Dark Vengeance box, one Codex, one other box of your choosing, and a Starter Paint Set costs you about the same as a Playstation 3 and one game*. In both cases, you'd be good to go for about a month. This author thinks of most boxes as console games, and Flyers and Land Raiders are the AAA-Title Collector's Edition game. The difference being that in this hobby you can use all your 'games' at the same time, and continuously.

Is WH40K expensive? Yes. I suppose it is. We all know it is. But, practically speaking, it's no more expensive than any other hobby.

*Priced in $AU where everything is more expensive - although the ratios should be the same.

Okay, I've got everything. What next?
    Play some games. Playing some actual games, is a far, far better learning experience than anything you could glean from the internet. Although we really would appreciate some stories and how you're finding your army.
    Find out what works for you, find out what doesn't (just because the internet likes something, doesn't mean you will too). You, more than anyone know who your opponents are and what they're putting on the table. You are in the best position to find out what you need to bring to the table.

However, if you're still stuck. Just ask.

How many points do I need? What size board do I need?
    There are ways that you can play 200, 400 and 500 point games using altered rules. But, if you want to play the game as-is, the recommended minimum is 750.

The game 'balances out' at 1500. Most games should be played at this level since pretty much all armies get a fair shake.

However, in other meta-games, find out what the local tournament standard is. Most people in your area should be playing at that points level. While you're at it, here's How to write an army list.

As for board size; a 4x4' table can accommodate up to 1250 with reasonable room left for movement. But, after that you should probably look at finding a 6x4' area. The floor is never a bad start.

I did what you said and I still lost. What gives?
    First, this game is all about dice. Dice are random (most of the time anyway), sometimes you just get bad rolls all game and there's nothing you can really do about it. It's best to accept it, otherwise you're not going to have a very fun time.

Sometimes your opponent can make a minor change in his list - like changing from Plasma Cannons to Lascannons. That can totally alter the flow of the game and what happens when they next play you.

Sometimes the terrain placement is just bad (or the terrain itself is bad) and right from Deployment you can find yourself getting shot at and there's nothing you can do about it. Really, this can only stress how important terrain can be to how the game gets played.

And, lastly, maybe you just 'did it wrong'? Maybe you used [X] to shoot [Y] when they should have been shooting [Z]. Maybe you Charged, when the better move could have been moving backwards and Rapid Firing instead? There are all sorts of ways you can be out-played. You didn't just lose because your opponents' Queens are overpowered.

Terrain? You said this hobby was only as expensive as any other.
    Yes and no. Most of your 'starting' terrain can be household items. Books. Soda-cans. Small boxes. Whatever.

If you look around the internet, you can also find a few tutorials on how to make some really decent-looking terrain. Made out of what you essentially would have otherwise thrown in the bin.

Only GW Terrain actually costs you any significant money. Making your own should only cost a few dollars tops - and your time and effort.

How much terrain do I need?
    Up to 12 pieces is the official word. However, that can get crowded pretty fast if you've got big pieces.

A better guide is roughly anywhere between 25-33% of the board should be covered by terrain. On a standard 6x4' table, you would want anywhere between 6-8' square of terrain. It seems like a lot. But if you divide that up to 7-12 pieces, it doesn't look like much. Or you could just put a 2x3' block in the centre of the board.

I don't like using Special Characters, and I think Allies are dumb.
    Your opponents probably don't. Special Characters are pretty powerful and there's no real reason that you shouldn't be using them if your opponents are. That's not to say that all Special Characters are good - they aren't - and certainly don't get the impression that just because it's a Special Character that you need to use it - you don't. But some of them are still good and they do make certain armies a lot better.

However, Allies, on the other hand. Are often a required part of the game. Some armies just don't have the units required to fend off other units. Does this make the game unfair? Kind of. But, GW doesn't update their entire range at once (it's a big range), and so some units are always going to be better than others. But, allowing Allies is a big step to evening the playing field.

So which Allies should I pick?
    Depends on your army, and what units you already have. Ask in the thread.

I can't paint.
    Like any skill worth having, you get better if you practice. 90% of a good paint job is just brush control - how much paint you put on your brush and where you put it. The other 10% is just colour theory (yeah, it's a thing). The most important tool this author has is a $5 Colour Wheel.

But, on a more serious note, the only real reason that you need to paint is if you want to participate in tournaments. Well, that and painted models just look better - if you've practised, of course.

Unfortunately, painting is a practical skill, not knowledge. The only person who can get you better at painting is you. Wraith has put together how you can go about Painting your army without losing your mind.

Which army is the best?
    That's a loaded question. It depends what points limit you're playing at (at 1500 there really isn't one). But, there is no 'best' army. Plasma beats Terminators beats Mech beats Plasma. 40K is much like Rock, Paper, Scissors. None of the armies are 'best', as each army can be countered. Some armies are better than others, but there is no 'best'.

However, as you play the game you will notice that your Codex doesn't have the units that beat another Codex. That's not to say that you haven't won any games, and it's not to say that your opponents' armies haven't lost several games to armies that just aren't yours. It just means that your army can't beat your opponent's army with what you've got available to you. That's why Allies need to be in the game.

Wait, so there are bad Codecies?
    Yes. But, every Codex should be usable between 1000-1500 points. So, no matter what army you pick, you'll be okay within those points limits, or, you should be. If you find that your Codex/Army isn't doing well against certain opponents, and there's nothing you can do; You may need Allies.

Helpful Army Building Guides

Previous Threads

Here's a bunch of Battle Reports for you to read. Plenty of army lists in there.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2016-08-18 at 11:42 PM.
    Steam Name: Cheesegear
    League of Legends Name: Cheesegear
    You can fight like a krogan or run like a leopard but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop XXVI: Frequently Asked, Frequently Ignored

According to GeeDub's Facebook page, Apothecaries can NOT take special weapons; but they can't fix the picture.

(Source: http://i.4cdn.org/tg/1465490148717.png)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Speaking of FAQs, how much do they actually matter? Particularly one's on Facebook (which I pretty much refuse to use). If I called a player out on something that seems wrong, and he says the FAQ cleared it, is that alright if he doesn't have proof? If someone says one of my rules doesn't work the way I thought it did, because of an FAQ, should I believe them?
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Speaking of FAQs, how much do they actually matter? Particularly one's on Facebook (which I pretty much refuse to use). If I called a player out on something that seems wrong, and he says the FAQ cleared it, is that alright if he doesn't have proof? If someone says one of my rules doesn't work the way I thought it did, because of an FAQ, should I believe them?
    You refusing to look at proof is not the same thing as them not having it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

I would imagine the polite thing would be to print out a copy of the FAQ, especially because there are those of us who don't use Facebook, but I'd like to think that people would be trustworthy, especially in more casual games.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Speaking of FAQs, how much do they actually matter?
    A lot. Particularly ones that aren't FAQs, and are actually Errata. It is essentially the company that made the game, making actual changes to the rulebook. It's not homebrew, it's not house rules, it's how the company that designed the game, wants the game to be played. In other words; It's Official.
    (Even though the guys doing the FAQs Errata aren't the guys who wrote 7th Ed., and a whole lot of it does feel like house rules)

If I called a player out on something that seems wrong, and he says the FAQ cleared it, is that alright if he doesn't have proof?
    It's never okay to not have proof of a rule. If something doesn't seem right, you should always clarify with your opponent. If your opponent can't actually provide proof, or seems hazy on what he's talking about...Well, I'm not saying that you should end the game then and there, but you should be checking after the game when you get home or something. Make a note of it, check it, go back to your opponent for a rematch if you think that that rule cost you the game, etc.

If someone says one of my rules doesn't work the way I thought it did, because of an FAQ, should I believe them?
    Depends on the opponent. Generally speaking, you should be reading the FAQs. You should at least have the ones from Black Library.

Speaking of, it's also very important to note that the ones on Facebook are a draft, and some of them may not make it into the final cut. Though it's doubtful. The main point of contention is whether or not the rule is confusing, the writers don't actually give a damn if you like the rule. Point is, it's a draft, it's not official (yet). You don't have to be playing with the 'new' rules if you don't want to be...For now.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2016-06-09 at 07:22 PM.
    You can fight like a krogan or run like a leopard but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Cross-posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Requizen View Post
    Tzeentch got awesomer, everyone else meh. Review done :P
    I distinctly remember cracking open Curse of the Wulfen and being mad at the Daemons for wasting six whole pages on triple Bloodthirsters, Skarbrand (again!), Be'lakor and the Exalted Flamer, all of which we already had rules for.

Right. I was mad. I did do that. But I was nowhere near as mad as I was reading the Space Wolves and all of the Formations bar exactly one sucking eggs.
    EDIT: In relation to the link, I've since learned the error of my ways, and nine units of Screamers is Goddamn amazing. I don't know why it didn't occur to me originally. Probably 'cause I was too focussed on the Chariots, and Khorne's Chariot Formation not sucking, and deciding that I could therefore only focus on Tzeentch Chariots. Which is wrong. Spam Screamers, kids. Spam them all day.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2016-06-10 at 10:44 AM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    You refusing to look at proof is not the same thing as them not having it.
    I put some effort into the ones involving my armies that are actually on GW's website. But just like how I don't expect them to have my army's rules memorized, I don't think it's fair for them to expect me to know all of the errata involving their army either. There's a reason it's almost required for you to bring your Codex to every game at my local game shop.

Speaking of, it's also very important to note that the ones on Facebook are a draft, and some of them may not make it into the final cut. Though it's doubtful. The main point of contention is whether or not the rule is confusing, the writers don't actually give a damn if you like the rule. Point is, it's a draft, it's not official (yet). You don't have to be playing with the 'new' rules if you don't want to be...For now.
    Ah, that is important to note. Because until it's official, I feel much more confident in saying link or it didn't happen, and having the store owner make a call on the ruling instead.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

I put some effort into the ones involving my armies that are actually on GW's website. But just like how I don't expect them to have my army's rules memorized, I don't think it's fair for them to expect me to know all of the errata involving their army either. There's a reason it's almost required for you to bring your Codex to every game at my local game shop.

Ah, that is important to note. Because until it's official, I feel much more confident in saying link or it didn't happen, and having the store owner make a call on the ruling instead.
    Ah, I misunderstood what you were saying earlier. I agree with what you're saying here.

My apologies
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

I'm interested to see what they have for the Tau faq myself.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

If you ever required proof that vehicles are complete and utter ****, keep your eyes peeled for my batreps when I get back from terracon. This is possibly the push that gets me to quit 40k, I've never had less fun.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Drasius View Post
    If you ever required proof that vehicles are complete and utter ****
    I don't know that Vehicles are trash. Just that the current meta is designed to destroy them without mercy in a way that doesn't work against Monstrous Creatures. Only a handful of armies in the game can currently deal with MC spam, but every competitive list that I know of is built with the Gladius (7-9+ Vehicles) in mind.

The current meta hates the Gladius, anything that isn't the Gladius...Well, yeah.

This is possibly the push that gets me to quit 40k, I've never had less fun.
    I hate those days. Thankfully, I have a good meta (and good friends) to go home to. Hearing stories about your home meta, sounds like just a different tournament meta.
    That sucks, man.
    I hope you don't quit the hobby, but I totally understand why you would.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

If you ever required proof that vehicles are complete and utter ****, keep your eyes peeled for my batreps when I get back from terracon. This is possibly the push that gets me to quit 40k, I've never had less fun.
    Ow, sorry to hear that man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

So I just read the OP for the first time in awhile.
    Which army is the best?
    That's a loaded question. It depends what points limit you're playing at (at 1500 there really isn't one). But, there is no 'best' army. Plasma beats Terminators beats Mech beats Plasma.
    But what about Mech with Plasma?

Anyway, I'm off to make an attempt to revive my local 40k meta. About a month ago I scheduled a casual open play day at the shop for today; no tournament, no fees, no Apocalypse, no pressure. There hasn't been a game played around here in nearly a year; I suppose I'll see how many people turn out.
    Last edited by Renegade Paladin; 2016-06-12 at 09:01 AM.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

So, I'm just getting started, and decided to go IG, in part because there are maybe two or three other guard players that go to the store near me. I'm not ready for painting by a long shot, but I did have some questions about putting together the models, if anyone has any experience with them?
    Thanks to Dirty Tabs for the Travis pony.

Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to A Thousand Words for the My Little Simhata avatar, and thanks to Trixie for fixing the cropping.

Breakdown Twilight from Pony Halloween celebration, thanks to Thanqol.

Thanks to Akrim.Elf for the awesome Laharl pony.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Strife View Post
    So, I'm just getting started, and decided to go IG, in part because there are maybe two or three other guard players that go to the store near me. I'm not ready for painting by a long shot, but I did have some questions about putting together the models, if anyone has any experience with them?
    I am familiar with several Guard kits, which one in particular?
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    I am familiar with several Guard kits, which one in particular?
    Start Collecting, and I also picked up an extra cadian infantry squad and a tempestus scions box.

Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to A Thousand Words for the My Little Simhata avatar, and thanks to Trixie for fixing the cropping.

18. - Top - End - #18

Well, what are your questions? I'm sure most of us know enough about modeling in general to help out. Are they general building questions, or specific to those kits? Rules or tactics questions, like "what the heck is this gun, and do I want it"?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

I'm wondering if there's a simple method to allow swapping out weapons on infantry models. I know you can use rare earth magnets and pins for vehicles and buildings, but I feel like that'd be a bit bulky to use on a heavy weapons team or a commissar's pistol.

I wouldn't mind some advice on what else to pick up as well, though I do have a Cadian Command Squad on order.

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

I'm wondering if there's a simple method to allow swapping out weapons on infantry models. I know you can use rare earth magnets and pins for vehicles and buildings, but I feel like that'd be a bit bulky to use on a heavy weapons team or a commissar's pistol.

I wouldn't mind some advice on what else to pick up as well, though I do have a Cadian Command Squad on order.
    I've seen people just magnetize the tripod for the Weapons Team so they can easily swap guns. As for pistols, if its attached to an arm you can magnetize the arm at the shoulder.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Colossus in the Playground

So I've got a buddy who's starting up Space Wolves soon. He's got around $400-$500 to drop. Any advice on what kind of list he should build?

My current thoughts on advising him are as follows:

Spoiler: List
    Show
    The Wolves Unleashed
    165-Iron Priest, Helfrost Pistol, Tempest Hammer, Thunderwolf Mount, Cyberwolf
    165-Iron Priest, Helfrost Pistol, Tempest Hammer, Thunderwolf Mount, Cyberwolf
    60 Points-5 Bloodclaws
    60 Points-5 Bloodclaws
    510-6 Thunderwolves Cavalry, Thunder Hammer, Storm Shield
    510-6 Thunderwolves Cavalry, Thunder Hammer, Storm Shield

Wulfen Murderpack
    260-5 Wulfen, Thunder Hammer, Storm Shield, Stormfrag Auto-launcher
    260-5 Wulfen, Thunder Hammer, Storm Shield, Stormfrag Auto-launcher

1990 Points, $475 (before taxes)

A simple list. I feel that it's probably too simple.

So what advice does the playground have before I actually advise my friend Matt on what would be good to get?
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show

Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

I don't think that's legal anymore as Iron Priests are HQ. Also, why Bloodclaws?
    Buying a magical sword-

(Merchant)- This blade has bathed in the blood of dragons!

(PC)- But it's USED!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I'm wondering if there's a simple method to allow swapping out weapons on infantry models.
    Not really. Nearly all swaps on Infantry models requires pinning or magnets at the shoulder, generally, this is going to require having two separate arms, and not all kits are going to give you enough pieces to just have a spare arm left over. Of course, nearly all kits come with extra Sergeant pieces that can be knifed, and then a weapon of choice can be glued to said arm. But, either way, you can't magnetize weapons directly to hands because it looks real bad. Unless the size of your magnets/drill is 1mm or so.

The game is getting shaken up right now. It's difficult to give you effective advice since any or all of it could be made irrelevant by tomorrow. Or next week. Nobody knows. Two effective Guard tools have already been nerfed into the ground (Grenade spam, and Drop Pods), so who's to say what's going to come next. A lot of Guard players are hoping for changes to the Heavy-Ordnance interaction on Leman Russes, and if that happens, it's back to Tanks and Sponsons for everyone!

Here's some advice that (probably) wont change;
    Primaris Psykers are really good. Biomancy to roll for Endurance and Divination because Guard are a shooty army.
    Take a look at the Combined Squad rule on Infantry Squads. If you want to ab/use that rule, you're going to need a Ministorum Priest. A Priest for your Command Squad couldn't hurt either, 'cause Regroup checks make Command Squads real sad.
    In your Infantry Squads, ignore Heavy Weapons, that's what Heavy Weapons Squads are for.
    Special Weapons Squads generally aren't good. Meltaguns in Valkyries are nice, but that's about it.
    Veteran Squads are what you use when you need to save money. Except that you don't actually save that much and lose a lot, tactically speaking. What you really save when you take Veterans over Infantry Platoons is painting time.
    Bullgryns are good, Ratlings are decent. Though in the latter's case you don't need many.
    Militarum Tempestus Platoons are great, and they're even better in their own book.
    Scout Sentinels are what you use when you don't use Ratlings. Scout Sentinels or Ratlings, both are going to die when it comes down to Kill Points, so it doesn't matter which one you take.
    Armoured Sentinels are what you use when you want Plasma Cannons. Except that you should never, ever, put Plasma weapons on Vehicles. Next!
    Hellhounds (any type), Valkyries and Vendettas are all useful.
    Hydras are very good anti-air at 70 Points a pop. Basilisks, Wyverns and Manticores are all great at their jobs.

If any of that changes, then I genuinely didn't see it coming.

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    A simple list. I feel that it's probably too simple.
    Nope. That's it. Codex: Thunderwolves is exactly what its name says it is. Only change is that you don't actually need that many Thunder Hammers on your Thunderwolves. A Lighting Claw is plenty good and can Shred into Rending for the AP2 anyway. Helfrost Pistols and Tempest Hammers are wastes of points. I'm almost certain that you can shave a few points to turn the Blood Claws into Grey Hunters, give both units Drop Pods, and each unit takes a Meltagun and possibly a Combi-Melta if the math is good for it.

I'd also drop one of the Iron Priests for a Rune Priest on a Bike, because even the chance for Endurance is too good to pass up. If you don't get Endurance, you can play musical wounds and then Life Leech back to full because it's a unit full of multi-wound models. The options are there when you have a Rune Priest. Throwing Adamantium Will into the mix is also real good 'cause it means the Star doesn't get Shrieked out of the game in two turns.

Space Wolves is a pretty bad Codex. They have exactly one good unit in the book, and all the good Space Wolf army lists that I've ever seen build around the Thunderwolves. You build the most optimal ThunderStar first, and then carve chunks out of it to barely make enough room for other things like ObSec'd Drop Pods and a unit of Wolf Scouts or two. What is the minimum amount of ThunderStar you need to drop to afford units that can achieve Maelstrom Objectives? Do you even care about achieving Objectives and do you think you can just win on drawing Kill Point Objectives alone? ...Maybe. Depends on your meta.

EDIT: Just saw that you have two units of Thunderwolves. Yeah, that's wrong. If you need two ThunderStars, you aren't doing it right. Especially because you have zero Rune Priests and a good S10, Large Blast is going to remove half the unit in one shot. Drop a unit of Thunderwolves and spend the points on something that isn't overkill. The reason your list is 'too simple' is because two units of Thunderwolves has eaten all your points.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2016-06-12 at 09:12 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

24. - Top - End - #24
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Caxton View Post
    I don't think that's legal anymore as Iron Priests are HQ. Also, why Bloodclaws?
    It's legal specifically BECAUSE Iron Priests are HQs.

And Bloodlcaws because they're cheap.

Cheese, thanks for the advice.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show

Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    It's legal specifically BECAUSE Iron Priests are HQs.

And Bloodlcaws because they're cheap.

Cheese, thanks for the advice.
    Woops I confused it with Company of the Great Wolf. My bad, mixing up wolf things. Wolf Wolf Wolf.
    Buying a magical sword-

(Merchant)- This blade has bathed in the blood of dragons!

(PC)- But it's USED!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

2nd day wasn't as bad (mainly since I was on the bottom tables with all the other scrubs), still only had 1 fun game though, and that was against our team captain. Opinion on vehicles (that aren't free) hasn't changed, they're still trash.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Not really. Nearly all swaps on Infantry models requires pinning or magnets at the shoulder, generally, this is going to require having two separate arms, and not all kits are going to give you enough pieces to just have a spare arm left over. Of course, nearly all kits come with extra Sergeant pieces that can be knifed, and then a weapon of choice can be glued to said arm. But, either way, you can't magnetize weapons directly to hands because it looks real bad. Unless the size of your magnets/drill is 1mm or so.
    I was actually thinking about using magnetic paint, if anyone has tried that before? I know there's magnetic spray paint, but I don't know how well that'd work for models.

The game is getting shaken up right now. It's difficult to give you effective advice since any or all of it could be made irrelevant by tomorrow. Or next week. Nobody knows. Two effective Guard tools have already been nerfed into the ground (Grenade spam, and Drop Pods), so who's to say what's going to come next. A lot of Guard players are hoping for changes to the Heavy-Ordnance interaction on Leman Russes, and if that happens, it's back to Tanks and Sponsons for everyone!

Here's some advice that (probably) wont change;
    Primaris Psykers are really good. Biomancy to roll for Endurance and Divination because Guard are a shooty army.
    Take a look at the Combined Squad rule on Infantry Squads. If you want to ab/use that rule, you're going to need a Ministorum Priest. A Priest for your Command Squad couldn't hurt either, 'cause Regroup checks make Command Squads real sad.
    In your Infantry Squads, ignore Heavy Weapons, that's what Heavy Weapons Squads are for.
    Special Weapons Squads generally aren't good. Meltaguns in Valkyries are nice, but that's about it.
    Veteran Squads are what you use when you need to save money. Except that you don't actually save that much and lose a lot, tactically speaking. What you really save when you take Veterans over Infantry Platoons is painting time.
    Bullgryns are good, Ratlings are decent. Though in the latter's case you don't need many.
    Militarum Tempestus Platoons are great, and they're even better in their own book.
    Scout Sentinels are what you use when you don't use Ratlings. Scout Sentinels or Ratlings, both are going to die when it comes down to Kill Points, so it doesn't matter which one you take.
    Armoured Sentinels are what you use when you want Plasma Cannons. Except that you should never, ever, put Plasma weapons on Vehicles. Next!
    Hellhounds (any type), Valkyries and Vendettas are all useful.
    Hydras are very good anti-air at 70 Points a pop. Basilisks, Wyverns and Manticores are all great at their jobs.

If any of that changes, then I genuinely didn't see it coming.
    What kit has the ministorum priests?

Edit: Also is there any army in particular I should be looking at for allied forces?
    Last edited by Kris Strife; 2016-06-13 at 01:08 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

I was actually thinking about using magnetic paint, if anyone has tried that before? I know there's magnetic spray paint, but I don't know how well that'd work for models.

Edit: Also is there any army in particular I should be looking at for allied forces?
    Dark Angels. Because who doesn't want a massive fearless blob with a 4++?
    i watched your heart turn black.

29. - Top - End - #29

Oh, man, I totally forgot to mention the game I had on Saturday. I dug out my handful of Steel Legion infantry and added some Skitarii to get to 1500 points, and faced off against a bunch of Orks! It was super weird to be hitting on anything better than a 5, and watching my opponent throw 10 dice for only 2 or 3 hits. I'm so used to that being the other way around.

It was his first time with Orks, so he made a few mistakes like "not bringing Powerklaws and Bosspoles on every Boss Nob" and "buying more than the minimum upgrades to get your Battlewagon to do its job". Don't worry, I straightened him out over the course of the game.

Apparently my little pewter men were very eager to prove themselves, because I ended up winning something like 15 to 2, so I think I might give them a little more time in the sun from now on. My Skitarii were alternately near-MVPs and completely embarrassing; I assume it had something to do with misplacing the dice I'd bought especially for them. It took a few turns, but eventually all 3 of my Plasma Vanguard blew themselves up, and my Ruststalkers threw an easy fight against some charging 'Ard Shootaboyz due to horrendous rolls. Luckily, Commissar Yarrick's blob were right behind them, and were able to counter-charge the grots that were also in the combat, and wipe them out to force a Leadership check on the Shootas, which ended with them getting swept by the last Ruststalker.

The best moment, though, was when I FINALLY brought down the Dakkajet than had been goofing off behind my lines, soaking up shot after shot for no good reason.
    Spoiler
    Show

Commissar Yarrick, legendary foe of the Orks, after blasting the last hull point from the Dakkajet with his LASER EYE. If he wasn't already a special character, he'd have earned the coolest name ever.

Man, I was pumped when that thing came down, it got me like 3 objectives by itself.
    Last edited by Hootman; 2016-06-13 at 03:10 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I was actually thinking about using magnetic paint, if anyone has tried that before?
    ...Huh. That's actually a good idea. I'd try it out if I knew where to get some. I'll look around, give it a shot.

Look at the Inquisition and Sororitas lines. They should be under 'Preachers' or something equally stupid.
    I currently use WHFB Warrior Priests, since 'close combat weapon' can mean literally anything. Glue a Laspistol to his belt and he's good to go. In a similar vein, Flagellants also work if you're planning on taking 3 or more, use whatever bits you have left over to make cool stuff.

Also is there any army in particular I should be looking at for allied forces?
    Since Guard can't use Drop Pods anymore, your best Allies are going to be Space Marines, 'cause they still get to use Drop Pods. Even if you don't pick up anything else, you'll want to look into getting 3 Space Marine Librarians.
    1. White Scars give Hit & Run. With the nerf to Grenades, Guard don't really want to be in combat anymore. Azrael's benefits suck. He used to be good, but with the nerf to Grenades and the resulting singificant nerf to the Melee blob, Azrael sucks. Ignore Dark Angels. Azrael wont give you Hit & Run, ignore him.
    2. A White Scar will be able to pick up Hunter's Eye (Angels of Death), giving your shooting attacks a significant boost. Especially your Plasma Guns. At least one of the three Librarians should also make a roll on Div to pick up Presience, and then shoot for Invisibility. Template weapons can't hit you when you're Invisible. Having Hunter's Eye as given, also frees up your Senior Officer to hand out Monster/Tank Hunter or FRF!SRF! instead of Ignores Cover. You'll get a lot of mileage out of Hunter's Eye. Everyone does. It's the best Relic in the game. It saves you having to roll for it on Div, and you don't need to waste your one Order per turn on it either.
    3. If you must get into combat, make sure one or more of the Librarians has a Jump Pack, this will allow you to re-roll your Charge distance and it is the best.

No-one cares about Azrael. He is a Lord of War, his investment is also another HQ and two Troops. 3 Librarians from Codex Marines will come tax-free, and if even one of them rolls Invisibility, you'll get far more value out of it than Azrael's 4++. Because White Scars also come with Hit & Run arguably the best rule in the game for shooty units, which you are, because Grenades got nerfed. If you want Fearless, just throw in a 25 Point Priest, done.

If you don't have Angels of Death, things will get dicey. You'll lose Hunter's Eye, and you'll probably have to make more rolls on Div to pick up Ignores Cover. One of the rolls on Div also happens to be a unit-wide 4++. People who still talk about Azrael haven't heard of tax-free Librarians. They also probably don't play Maelstrom.

If your meta has banned Hunter's Eye (it's the best Relic in the game, and can be found on tax-free Librarians, who also happen to be one of most versatile/best HQs in the game on top of it. With Hit & Run), but you still have access to Angels of Death, Raven Guard Librarians will automatically hand out Shroud on Turn 1 (because you were too busy rolling on Div, you forgot to roll on Telepathy to get Shroud when also not trying to roll for Invisibility), in addition, instead of Hunter's Eye, Raven Guard get The Armour of Shadows, which grant Stealth & Shroud if you don't move, giving your dudes a 2+ Cover Save when behind a wall. However, Armour of Shadows works better in a Heavy Weapons Squad that don't want to move. A full, 30<50-man Infantry Squad probably wants to move around the board (but not Charge unless it absolutely has to).

If you want Shroud but still want to move around, a single Cypher model will get the job done. But, even without Armour of Shadows, you can still roll Shrouded on Telepathy and I can't imagine a scenario where I would take Cypher over 3 Librarians that are going to give Shroud on Turn 1 regardless, and make it easier to Night Fight giving you a 66% chance of Stealth on Turn 1 on top. But, Cypher does give Hit & Run that Raven Guard don't which is actually really useful. Sighface.

A quick source of Librarians is the Grey Knights box; You get five plastic Psychic Hoods, Power Armour and Force Weapons. It is WYSIWYG. You'll also get Jump Packs in the form of Teleporters, which absolutely turn a model into Jump Infantry and can definitely be counted in most non-toxic metas; "This is a Teleporter. In the Grey Knights book, it's what the Jump Infantry wear. Therefore they count as Jump Packs." Justification done. The only hard part is giving the 'Grey Knights' Bolt Pistols for an extra attack. The extra attack doesn't really matter because Melee isn't where you want to be anyway, and Boltguns are free.

Imperial Guard also don't get Troops that can Scout/Infiltrate, putting them behind in the current meta. Rolling on the Strategic Table can alleviate this somewhat. But, you're Armies of the Imperium, which I'm reliably told is the best special rule in the game (although not so much anymore because Drop Pod nerf). An Inquisitor with the Liber Heresius will give his unit Scout on a successful Leadership check. Like the Librarians, Inquisitors come tax-free and don't require additional investment. You could also give said Inquisitor Servo-Skulls and a Mastery Level. Coteaz is also in the book too. He's very, very good. Inquisitors make handy Diviniation backups when your Librarians exhausted all their rolls on Telepathy trying to get Invisibility (...and then they still don't get it ).

Cataphractii Captain (Angels of Death); Slow & Purposeful. However, will come with taxes attached...
    By now you've heard me mention Drop Pods once or twice. If you're going to pay Space Marine taxes, Tactical Squads come with Meltagun and Combi-Melta and a Drop Pod for 125 Points. They're not bad. However, if you're going to take a Combined Arms Detachment instead of an Allied Detachment, it might be worth taking a squad of Scouts in the second Troops slot since Drop Pods in even numbers are pretty sad. Not saying that you can't have an even number of Drop Pods (I, personally, have an army list that uses six), but it's better if you have an odd number of Drop Pods, and Space Marine Scouts aren't even bad anyway - although Blood Angel ones are. Drop Pods are a very nice way to get anywhere on the board you want - so long as your opponent lets you.

Sammael (Dark Angels); Sammael gives you Hit & Run and Fearless, both rules where you can get elsewhere for less points (Sammael comes with taxes, same as Azrael). Sammael is neat because he comes with Scout, again, another rule you can get elsewhere (Inquisitors) for a lot less points. I only include Sammael because he comes with all three rules on one model, which is important if your meta limits Detachments. But even in the standard <3 Detachment format;

Imperial Guard, CAD
    Space Marines, Librarius Conclave
    Inquisitorial Detachment

You're still good to go.

Last, but certainly not least; The actual Militarum Tempestus book. Yes, they're already in the Guard book. But, they have their own Codex, where they're Troops, and that makes them Objective Secured, and that's fantastic on units that can Deep Strike with Move Through Cover (Deep Striking units that land in terrain have to take Dangerous Terrain checks, models with Move Through Cover automatically pass Dangerous Terrain checks), which means you can land pretty much anywhere you want that isn't covered in enemy units. Drop Pods are infinitely superior to MTs, since DPs come down on Turn 1 and can land on enemy models. MTs aren't bad, but they're not the best, and I'll say that up front, so you know. MT's main benefit to all the others is that they don't break Theme.

...aaand that's all I've got.
    I'm sure there's something else that I've missed. But I've covered the main hitting points;
    Fearless, Hit & Run, Scout. The three best rules in the game. Especially on Troops. A close fourth being Infiltrate, which you get by rolling on Strategic.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2016-06-13 at 07:07 AM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome