Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default The Dragonslayer's Legacy OOC

IC thread

Welcome to the OOC, everyone.

Pick your colors and talk amongst yourselves. This is the time to connect backgrounds and/or figure out the relationships between all of you. You are some of the greatest people Alevia has to offer, so you are bound to know of each other.

To reiterate, this is my first group game, so I will need a bit of time to get this started properly and there might be some hitches along the way (and with the caliber of people present, I am in semi-permanent ohmygodohmygodwhatamIdoing mode). I'll try to keep a healthy pace of at least 2-3 updates a week. On another note, we have a lot of full casters in here, including a druid and a seer, so please go easy on me, as it can be ridiculously difficult to plan around the capabilities of casters with gigantic spell lists (once again, D&D magic gives zero craps about dramatic tension). I'll also be checking the sheets in case there are still errant mistakes (Mikela, remember your synergy bonuses) or unclear things.

Player Sheet
    MikelaC1 Eshalyn (D'Hista) Dawnbreaker
    Gremlin-pult Sir Madoc Morholt
    Debbie_D Zohra
    Talore Rohaleen Juuso
    whoiam Balein (pet) (crystal)

Former Player Character
    El'the Ellie Calliope Fareyes

Spoiler: Setup opening post (for reference)
    Show
    Few are the legends that can measure up to those involving chromatic dragonkind, magnificent and terrifying at the same time, the crucible of some of the world's greatest heroes and the downfall of many half-forgotten empires. Raw and brutal power, devious schemes, fearsome puppeteering, insatiable greed, furious thirst for vengeance, all of these threats are known by everyone, down to even the youngest children, each beast possessing some of these qualities or, in case of the most dreadful examples, all of them. Slaying a chromatic dragon is the mark of greatness, groups of heroes or armies of soldiers fighting bravely to bring down a single one of them, the people celebrating their glorious return or noble sacrifice. Those who defeat one of the mighty dragons enter folklore, joining the likes of the Leviathan Seekers, sailing beneath no one's flag but their own, scouring the tempestous waves of the Fanged Sea to slay huge monsters in order to keep the havens at shore safe, the Scarwalkers of Karak, every day braving the festering hole the infernal forces of the Nine Hells tore into the side of their fortress capital, the mythical Valkyries of the Northern Sky, tall tales that still have inspired many a brave girl to take up the mantle of a heroine. The list goes on and on.

But throughout all of the world's known history, all know there is only one who truly deserves the definitive title of Dragonslayer: the Savior of Alevia, Ariandra Dawnbreaker. Several hundreds of years ago, the chromatic dragons controlled a large Empire striking fear into the hearts of mortals. Kal'Thurax, the most powerful red wyrm that was proven to have existed, ruled with an iron fist, having enslaved the mortal races as slaves. Once day, legend has it that a single woman came from the north, slaying one of Kal'Thurax's generals by herself, uniting the people against dragonkind. A goddess among men, Ariandra bit by bit dismantled the Empire, the dragons slow to respond and hindered by their hubris, until she slew Kal'Thurax, ending the draconic reign and scattering the remaining wyrms. Ariandra was named queen out of gratitude, a role she accepted to help the people rebuild, not to gain power and glory, never ceasing to emphasize the people's role in what was achieved. Under the Dragonslayer's reign, the land known as Alevia blossomed, razed lands restored through the efforts of druids and the elves of the neighboring Immortal Forest. She gave the people a voice, broken with many traditions, and created an era of peace. Her descendants have continued her rule ever since, each supported by the people they served, each a formidable heroine or hero in their own right, benevolent, wise and trailblazing in their leadership.

Valessa Dawnbreaker is the current ruler along with her husband Karvyn. The beloved queen is renowned for her elegance and beauty with word, dance, sword and magic, also having had her share of wild adventurers and accomplishments that are popular themes for bardic songs and plays, while the king used to be the leader of a still famous band of adventurers, having accompanied Valessa during her later adventures, eventually earning her trust and love. Life is good in modern Alevia, home of many wonders and innovations, ever thriving. However, the queen knows the dragons have a long memory, that the hundreds of years that have passed since their defeat are not all that long for them. She and her husband have done all they can to look for signs of danger and to prepare for the possibility of dragonkind retaliating, but defense against such a cunning enemy (whether they are plotting against them or not) will not be easy.

Recently, the queen has called for some of the finest people of Alevia and those the royal family calls trusted friends. During her adventures, Valessa came across a strange artifact of unknown purpose, and only recently, the most capable historians and magicians of the land managed to get some first insights into it. It is only a part of a greater whole, and it is strongly believed that the artifact is connected to the dragons and is of great power, perhaps able to prevent the chromatic dragons from ever bringing harm to their homeland again. It is a possibility that the royal couple cannot ignore, but want to keep under wraps in case the dragons are unaware of such an artifact, one they would surely want to destroy. Thus, the best the kingdom has to offer will be sent to search for it, to protect the Dragonslayer's legacy.

Spoiler: Big 16
    Show
    1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?
    D&D 3.5e

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?
    More or less classic fantasy, with standard D&D pantheon.
    Other panthei are also available, like racial deities or Egyptian/Norse/Greek deities, the latter representing fragments of older civilizations or the faith of distant lands

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
    4 players, one spot already reserved

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?
    Forum

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
    Level 10 Gestalt

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
    WBL standard

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?
    Dual-progression classes are not allowed (same with dual-progression feats). If you want to be a wizard and a cleric, take wizard on one gestalt side and cleric on the other.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?
    The core races, as well as aasimar and tieflings (and no, do not ask for the lesser versions). You pay LA only with one gestalt side. No templates.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?
    Three potential arrays:
    Array #1: 14, 14, 14, 14, 14, 14. Assign as desired.
    Array #2: 18, 18, 16, 12, 12, 8. Assign as desired.
    Array #3: 18, 16, 16, 12, 12, 10. Assign as desired.
    Hit points are max at 1st and 3/4 max after

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
    Good-aligned preferred, neutral still allowed, but should have good-leaning tendencies. You are playing heroes wanting to protect a good-aligned kingdom, after all.
    Good doesn't mean boyscout goody-two-shoes (though "pure good" characters aren't frowned, especially if they're charmingly done), just ultimately a decent [insert race here] being, however flawed they might be or how hard their life has been.
    And no, I will not pin you down on what exactly this alignment or that alignment means. It is more a tendecy to me, not a law. Alignment discussions are something I want to avoid, as they never amount to anything worthwhile.
    Paladins do not need to live in fear of falling because technicalities and little things either.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?
    You can multiclass freely with no problems, however builds cannot exceed 4 classes. Completed prestige classes do not count against this limit. As per the gestalt rules, every level must advance at least one base class, you cannot have two prestige classes going at once.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?
    You roll your dice in the IC thread and spoiler them. I'll roll for you when you should not be aware of results. Note that I do not roll on the forums to save time as well as to be able to fudge when it helps the game (and going by experience, that usually means in favor of the players when it might become necessary). I understand that some do not like that, but that is how I do things.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.
    Gestalt rules
    Retroactive skill points
    Fractional BAB/saves
    Skill consolidation akin to Pathfinder (Acrobatics instead of Balance, Jump and Tumble; Diplomacy includes Gather Information's usages; Stealth instead of Move Silently and Hide; Perception instead of Listen, Spot and Search)
    Pathfinder feat progression (1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th etc), in hopes of allowing people to take a few fun/flavorful feats that usually need to be left out in favor of more functional ones
    Where applicable, all characters effectively have Weapon Finesse and Eschew Materials
    Paladins of Freedom are allowed
    Disguise is a class skill for everyone

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
    All of you must have a strong connection to the kingdom of Alevia, enough to be trusted with such an important task. You do not necessarily have to be from there, but just being a powerful mercenary won't cut it. The royal family is known for their closeness to the people and recognizing exceptional deeds, so your character could be part of the court, a mage of the Academy of the Arcane, a noteworthy priest(ess) or paladin of a good or neutral deity, a folk hero, a knight, a famous bard etc etc.
    What matters is that you are trusted by the queen and king, are noteworthy in your talents and have been aiding the kingdom in one way or another.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
    A mixture of all three, most likely. There will be cities and dungeons, people and monsters, after all.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?
    PHB, PHB2, "Complete" series, MIC, Spell Compendium, "Races of" series, Tome of Battle
    No Pathfinder, no 3.0, no homebrew
    No other sources

Spoiler: Ban List (may be expanded)
    Show
    The Celerity line of spells
    Leadership and anything granting cohorts

So, welcome to those who have read through all this. This is my first time attempting to run a 3.5 group game, but I've been wanting to run a nice heroic fantasy game for a while now, having had enough of all sorts of grim/cynical/meme-y stuff. Just fun adventuring for a good cause and hopefully a lot of excitement. The player who has a reserved spot, MikelaC1. Those who are in important positions in Alevia will receive an item to magically disguise themselves in order to not immediately tip everyone off that Alevia is looking for something. You are free to invent adventuring personas for your characters they'll use as disguise whenever they do not choose to reveal themselves as who they actually are.

Note that this is not a high optimization game, probably not even a moderate optimization game. I have no problem with capable characters, but don't wipe out or trivialize whole encounters on your own. If you can power attack/TWF/spell one-shot a CR 15 monster to death in one round on your own, that's great, but this is not the right game for that character, sorry. Same goes for absurd ability scores, skill modifiers and saves. The harder you make it for me to deal with your character (and the more you widen the gap between your and most other characters), the less likely you will get in. Gestalt, smaller skill list and more feats are pretty much there so people have room to take things they feel are fun, but would take up space needed for something else.

So, anyone interested?
    Last edited by Ridai; 2016-09-18 at 05:58 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Default Re: The Dragonslayer's Legacy OOC

Hooray, happy to be here! Calliope will be speaking in this tealish color, if that's visible.

I'll get to picking my cleric spells shortly. In the mean time, in Calliope's backstory 12 years ago a group of warriors of some kind helped her and brought her back to Alevia: would one (or more) like to be involved in that event? If not I can just as easily make them NPC's.

Also it looks like it's gonna be Sir Morholt and the ladies. or if you prefer our punk rock name, Sir Morholt and the b*tches

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

I think I'll have Balein speak in a very druidey Dark Green.

Spoiler: Balein and Eshalyn
    Show

I hinted at this one in the first draft of Balein's backstory. Thanks to their families being friends and allies, Balein will have known the last 150 years' worth of Dawnbreakers. Including Eshalyn. She probably won't break out too many embarrassing childhood stories of her - after all, Eshalyn's older relatives have doubtless armed her with a number of stories from Balein's own childhood. Just in case.

I'd be happy to have had Balein and Eshalyn adventure together in the past, but that one's up to you. If they haven't gone together before, expect Balein to be enthusiastic about getting to see just how strong Eshalyn's become...

Spoiler: Balein and Madoc
    Show

Balein wouldn't have been a member of Karvyn's band the way Madoc was (though she might have worked with them once or twice). What she would have been is a friend of Valessa's who likely adventured semi-regularly with the soon-to-be-Queen. Amusingly, considering the people involved, Balein was probably the 'plain' one in that group.

Anyway, however much they knew each other as adventurers, they definitely would have met since then, what with Balein being a frequent visitor to the court Madoc's a guard captain for. I imagine a certain amount of good natured ribbing between the two, either at the start (if they'd adventured together) or by the present day (if they got to know each other over 20 years of state and Restorer visits). Thoughts?

Spoiler: Balein and Calliope
    Show

I'd suggest Balein (and/or Rohaleen) as the most likely member of Calliope's rescuers. If I've run the numbers correctly, Balein and Rohaleen would have been the PCs actively adventuring at the time (Eshalyn would have been 10, and Madoc, I think, was serving in the royal guard by that point). Furthermore, I'd suggest that if Balein did it, then instead of Calliope first learning about Psionics randomly in the library, she'd have learned about it by talking to Balein's psicrystal on the journey back to Alevia. True, Balein probably couldn't have given Calliope much more than basic instruction, seeing as how she's an Egoist instead of a Seer... but she could have served just fine as an inspiration for Calliope's studies.

Plus the last few years, when Calliope's been going on knowledge-hunting missions for the Queen probably involved the two of them working together fairly often...

Spoiler: Balein and Rohaleen
    Show

Hm. 53 years ago, Balein was in training as a Druid. What would you say to me adopting Tebesnead Pearlhawk as Balein's first druid trainer? So she would have been around for the first few years of Rohaleen's childhood (pressed into duty as a babysitter, probably, going by how much Tebesnead seemed to care for Rohaleen....)

They'd have a chance to re-unite at the start of Rohaleen's career (between becoming a Ranger and being sent out on border duty), when one was an active Ranger and the other was an active Druid, and both were serving in Alevia proper.

Then 21 years ago, Rohaleen got assigned to the border, and besides the occasional letter or special mission, they wouldn't see much of each other until the present day, when Rohaleen's summoned back to the capital...

So, those are just me glancing through everyone else's backstories and trying to think where I'd insert Balein into each of the other PC's lives. They're only suggestions. Let me know what you do and don't want to use

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

I like your ideas. And if I may be bold enough to propose a timeline, subject to people's approval/tweaking:

53 years ago, Rohaleen and Balein meet under the same tutor, Tebesnead Pearlhawk, and eventually rejoin to serve Alevia under the Queen, albeit in different roles. A year or so later, one or both of them are put on a team/expedition with Sir Madoc as a prominent Guard member. During this time Eshalyn is born to the Queen, and each of the others come to know her throughout her childhood. When Eshalyn is about 10, Balein and potentially some others are sent out to hunt down or maybe just investigate the fanatic group mentioned in Calliope's backstory. They drive off the group in time to save her, and travel back to Alevia. For the next ten years or so the five of us see each other varying amounts, occasionally running some mission for the Queen. Until finally, she's called us all together for... Something mysterious.

As I said before, feel free to accept/tweak/reject that as much as you'd like. It just seems to me to be the way our characters fit together the best.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by El'the Ellie View Post
    Also it looks like it's gonna be Sir Morholt and the ladies. or if you prefer our punk rock name, Sir Morholt and the b*tches
    So an older knightly gentleman, and a bunch of headstrong young ladies...

He'll be eaten alive. He will stand absolutely no chance.

But until then he'll be speaking in A fitting Navy blue, I think. That seems like a suitable color for a royal knight.

Quote Originally Posted by whoiam View Post
    Spoiler: Balein and Madoc
    Show

Balein wouldn't have been a member of Karvyn's band the way Madoc was (though she might have worked with them once or twice). What she would have been is a friend of Valessa's who likely adventured semi-regularly with the soon-to-be-Queen. Amusingly, considering the people involved, Balein was probably the 'plain' one in that group.

Anyway, however much they knew each other as adventurers, they definitely would have met since then, what with Balein being a frequent visitor to the court Madoc's a guard captain for. I imagine a certain amount of good natured ribbing between the two, either at the start (if they'd adventured together) or by the present day (if they got to know each other over 20 years of state and Restorer visits). Thoughts?
    I like it. I can see them having met each other several times as companions of the future royal couple, and striking up a friendship that they kept going when he settled down as a knight and her coming and going often in the castle.
    Intern jokes and ribbing is definitely a go. (If for example they first met early in the adventuring career, she will have plenty of ammunition in the form of what an unbearably arrogant twit he was when he first met the others.)

EDIT: As for Calliope and Rohaleen, I imagine they and Madoc will at least have a cordial relationship. They would be hardpressed not to get to know him over the years if they have been close to the royals and gone in and out of the castle. He IS the most trusted of the royal knight-captains, after all, and the one who spent the most time with the royals.
    Last edited by gremlin-pult; 2016-06-11 at 02:12 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

On the subject of Calliope and Madoc, I do have a suggestion. Why not make Madoc the one Valessa usually gave the 'make sure Calliope remembers to eat, sleep and bathe' duty? It would give Calliope a surrogate father-figure (to compliment Valessa's surrogate mother), and Madoc in turn could have caring for Calliope as one of reasons he finally matured from 'hotheaded warrior' to 'responsible knight'...

Edit:
    I like your ideas. And if I may be bold enough to propose a timeline, subject to people's approval/tweaking:

53 years ago, Rohaleen and Balein meet under the same tutor, Tebesnead Pearlhawk, and eventually rejoin to serve Alevia under the Queen, albeit in different roles. A year or so later, one or both of them are put on a team/expedition with Sir Madoc as a prominent Guard member. During this time Eshalyn is born to the Queen, and each of the others come to know her throughout her childhood. When Eshalyn is about 10, Balein and potentially some others are sent out to hunt down or maybe just investigate the fanatic group mentioned in Calliope's backstory. They drive off the group in time to save her, and travel back to Alevia. For the next ten years or so the five of us see each other varying amounts, occasionally running some mission for the Queen. Until finally, she's called us all together for... Something mysterious.

As I said before, feel free to accept/tweak/reject that as much as you'd like. It just seems to me to be the way our characters fit together the best.
    Slight correction: Rohaleen was born 53 years ago. Tebesnead Pearlhawk is Rohaleen's mother, and I was suggesting Balein could have been her student at the time she had Rohaleen.

Provisionally, the timeline would look a little something like this:
    Years ago Events Balein's Age Rohaleen's Age Madoc's Age Calliope's Age Eshalyn's Age
    167 Balein is born 0
    57 Balein begins training as a Druid under Tebesnead Pearlhawk 110
    53 Tebesnead and Ingi meet, and Rohaleen is born from their union. Balein is frequently roped in to babysit. 114 0
    43 Madoc is born 124 10 0
    42 Balein 'graduates', and joins the returners as a full Druid. She does still drop by to see Rohaleen and Ingi when her duties bring her nearby. 125 11 1
    ??? Rohaleen starts her career as a Ranger, replacing the retiring Ingi ??? ??? ???
    26 Calliope is born in Fivulma.
    Madoc joins Karvyn's band of adventurers.
    141 27 17 0
    ??? Valessa (full time) and Balein (part time) adventure with Karvyn and Madoc. ??? ??? ??? ???
    22 Eshalyn is born to Valessa and Karvyn 145 31 21 4 0
    21 Valessa and Karvyn have to deal with trouble on the borders. Balein is called to the capital to help watch baby Eshalyn. Since she won't be going along, she suggests Rohaleen to serve as a guide instead. Rohaleen distinguishes herself greatly during the adventure, and the royal couple remember her for later... 146 32 22 5 1
    ??? Madoc calms down about losing Valessa to Kargyn, and reconciles with the couple, going on to become a Knight in their service. ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
    12 Calliope's town is burned to the ground. Balein (and possibly Madoc and/or Rohaleen) are part of the group tracking the cult who end up rescuing Calliope. Balein loans her psicrystal to Calliope to keep her company along the journey - it ends up introducing her to the basic concepts of Psionics. When they return to Alevia, the Queen takes Calliope in as a ward. 155 41 31 14 10
    6 Calliope finishes her 6 years in the library, and begins an adventuring career in the Queen's service. 161 47 37 20 16
    ??? Eshalyn begins adventuring. ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
    0 Present Day 167 53 43 26 22
    Last edited by whoiam; 2016-06-11 at 03:32 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

I dont have the time to review all the ideas right now, later this evening, but I did want to sign and claim color and its surprising that my favourite Blue is still available
    Only a fool fights in a burning house - Klingon proverb

They say "may you live in interesting times"...Ive tried interesting and now I'll take boring.

I am not trusting my research paper to some millennial. They'll put unicorn emojis on it and post it on social media.
    - Sheldon Cooper

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Ridai View Post
    To reiterate, this is my first group game, so I will need a bit of time to get this started properly and there might be some hitches along the way (and with the caliber of people present, I am in semi-permanent ohmygodohmygodwhatamIdoing mode). I'll try to keep a healthy pace of at least 2-3 updates a week. On another note, we have a lot of full casters in here, including a druid and a seer, so please go easy on me, as it can be ridiculously difficult to plan around the capabilities of casters with gigantic spell lists (once again, D&D magic gives zero craps about dramatic tension). I'll also be checking the sheets in case there are still errant mistakes (Mikela, remember your synergy bonuses) or unclear things.
    Try not to worry so much. The most important thing for GMing is self-confidence. I've GM'd online and IRL for many years, so I'm open to any questions or requests for advice. (I'm also more interested in roleplaying than rollplaying so I can take questions involving spoilers or mechanics if you like.)

Also Ridai, would you like me to provide you with detailed stats for the villain in my backstory for you to alter and use? No pressure either way.

I'll select maroon for in-character dialogue.

I'm okay with that timeline and interweaving of backstories. Tonight or tomorrow I can work out the finer details of Rohaleen's story for you all.

Quote Originally Posted by gremlin-pult View Post
    So an older knightly gentleman, and a bunch of headstrong young ladies...

He'll be eaten alive. He will stand absolutely no chance.
    Half of these ladies are older than your knight. ;)
    Last edited by Talore; 2016-06-11 at 06:51 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Talore View Post
    Half of these ladies are older than your knight. ;)
    Ah, but they are also from much longer lived species.
    And as some wise person (though I can't for the life of me remember who) once said to an elf:

"Age does not equal maturity."

Think I got that quote from a video game or something, I dunno. But for some reason it stuck with me.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by gremlin-pult View Post
    Ah, but they are also from much longer lived species.
    And as some wise person (though I can't for the life of me remember who) once said to an elf:

"Age does not equal maturity."

Think I got that quote from a video game or something, I dunno. But for some reason it stuck with me.
    Do you listen to the TED podcast? Because their most recent episode was talking about how age != wisdom.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Do you listen to the TED podcast? Because their most recent episode was talking about how age != wisdom.
    Nope, I've never heard of the TED podcast. Then again that's no surprise if it's an american podcast, since I'm scandinavian.

But it doesn't surprise me that the phrase has been used before in differing varieties. It IS a pretty clever saying, and probably an old one.

On another note, WhoIam suggested this connection between our two characters:
    Quote Originally Posted by whoiam View Post
    On the subject of Calliope and Madoc, I do have a suggestion. Why not make Madoc the one Valessa usually gave the 'make sure Calliope remembers to eat, sleep and bathe' duty? It would give Calliope a surrogate father-figure (to compliment Valessa's surrogate mother), and Madoc in turn could have caring for Calliope as one of reasons he finally matured from 'hotheaded warrior' to 'responsible knight'...
    I figure it could be a pretty fun way to have them know each other. What do you think?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Yeah, I liked that idea! This bookworm needs someone to get her out every once in a while, and it sounds like Madoc might need someone to keep him focused.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

True. Nothing like taking on the guardianship of a 10 year old orphan with completely different interests than yourself to rid a person of immature arrogance.

He would have tried to get her into combat training and other physical activities at first. And then I imagine he eventually settled for just pulling her out from the royal archives and out in the sun now and again.
    That she developed a thirst for knowledge that led to wanderlust would have been a great source of pride/relief for him.

I can also totally imagine the stoic knight who went through emotional hell in her teenage years. He's gotten mature enough and cares enough for her to start thinking like a parent, and then she wants even less to do with him than usual.
    He would spend many an evening brooding over a cup of wine with the king, talking about how kids grow up too fast and such.
    Last edited by gremlin-pult; 2016-06-11 at 08:08 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

In terms of just how long Eshalyn has been adventuring, that would be Ridai's call as to how long it takes to gain 10 levels. I wouldnt see her starting much before age 18, and she did spend some time under the tutelage of a Nyssian ambassador so there is that.
    On the subject of Balien adventuring with her, and anyone else for that matter, the answer is an unequivocal yes. As mentioned in Eshalyn's backstory, her father is none too happy about her being an adventurer at all (overruled by Valessa) and in order to keep him happy, he would want as many loyalists with her as possible.

They say "may you live in interesting times"...Ive tried interesting and now I'll take boring.

I am not trusting my research paper to some millennial. They'll put unicorn emojis on it and post it on social media.
    - Sheldon Cooper

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

@Talore: Don't worry, it's just the jitteryness before the start. No need for stats. Those will be made as needed and I usually just set what stats are essential. Having all those systems for HD and progression and class levels and such is nice and all, but 4e had the right idea when they condensed monster stat blocks down to what the DM actually needs and made the process a lot faster.

To clarify a bit about Karvyn, he's not as bad as described in Mikela's backstory. It's more a case of him still seeing Eshalyn as his little girl and knowing how much trouble her mother used to get herself into, so he can't help but worry, but he doesn't want to prevent Eshalyn from leading the life she wants. Hence why Valessa is the one handling most things involving this investigation, as she's been where Eshalyn is now and encourages her, with Karvyn trying to be as supportive as he can be, acting as a voice of caution/reason (depending on one's perspective, as there have been times where he would have preferred Eshalyn staying home). Plus, someone needs to focus fulltime on ruling Alevia. He still feels better if people accompany her. This dovetails nicely with Karvyn and Madoc talking about the kids growing up so fast, eventually transitioning into exchanging stories about their "little girls" that parents love to tell, to the embarassment of their kids. Also there might still be some errant rebelliousness/immaturity in Eshalyn ("Dad doesn't get me/never wants me to do anything fun!"), but that's wholly up to Mikela. Eshalyn is much like her mother and Karvyn remembers very well that Valessa used to be quite the handful (and Valessa does attribute adjusting to being a leader and queen to her husband, the couple enjoying a very much healthy marriage).

@Mikela: Eshalyn is gifted with a lot of raw talent, so she could have started as early as 15 and already have a few levels. That and she could have snuck out of the castle from time to time, returning to some stern words and getting grounded for a short time, but also getting asked about how it went.

@Everyone: The stuff I'm seeing here is great and encouraging to see, warms the little DM heart.

Don't ask me why, but Rohaleen strikes me somewhat as the bridge between Madoc and the girls (which is weird in a way because like Rohaleen, Balein is close to being middle aged). Someone occasionally having the elder knight's back when dealing with the antics of two princesses and whatever Calliope is up would probably be a godsend for Madoc (when Rohaleen isn't involved in shenanigans of her own, that is).
    Last edited by Ridai; 2016-06-12 at 04:46 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Hooray! Out of curiosity, when should we expect the IC thread?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Most likely tomorrow. Still wanting to let some things develop in my head now that I know who is going to be part of the game. I am a DM who is pretty much on the improvisational side of things, usually going along an outline and making adjustments/filling things out as I go, which is something that works especially well in as slow a format as this one. So, hopefully, I'll have some situations where characters get to shine, just need to figure out how to best go about it and when.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Ok! No rush, I was just checking.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Years ago Events Balein's Age Rohaleen's Age Madoc's Age Calliope's Age Eshalyn's Age
    167 Balein is born 0
    57 Balein begins training as a Druid under Tebesnead Pearlhawk 110
    53 Tebesnead and Ingi meet, and Rohaleen is born from their union. Balein is frequently roped in to babysit. 114 0
    43 Madoc is born 124 10 0
    42 Balein 'graduates', and joins the returners as a full Druid. She does still drop by to see Rohaleen and Ingi when her duties bring her nearby. 125 11 1
    29 Rohaleen starts her career as a Ranger, replacing the retiring Ingi 138 24 14
    26 Calliope is born in Fivulma.
    Madoc joins Karvyn's band of adventurers.
    141 27 17 0
    ??? Valessa (full time) and Balein (part time) adventure with Karvyn and Madoc. ??? ??? ??? ???
    22 Eshalyn is born to Valessa and Karvyn 145 31 21 4 0
    21 Valessa and Karvyn have to deal with trouble on the borders. Balein is called to the capital to help watch baby Eshalyn. Since she won't be going along, she suggests Rohaleen to serve as a guide instead. Rohaleen distinguishes herself greatly during the adventure, and the royal couple remember her for later... 146 32 22 5 1
    ??? Madoc calms down about losing Valessa to Kargyn, and reconciles with the couple, going on to become a Knight in their service. ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
    12 Calliope's town is burned to the ground. Balein, Rohaleen, and possibly Madoc are part of the group tracking the cult who end up rescuing Calliope. Balein loans her psicrystal to Calliope to keep her company along the journey - it ends up introducing her to the basic concepts of Psionics. When they return to Alevia, the Queen takes Calliope in as a ward. 155 41 31 14 10
    6 Calliope finishes her 6 years in the library, and begins an adventuring career in the Queen's service. 161 47 37 20 16
    4 Eshalyn begins adventuring. 163 49 39 22 18
    0 Present Day 167 53 43 26 22
    Table updated to reflect when Rohaleen became a professional ranger and that Rohaleen was in fact part of the group tracking the cult who attacked Calliope's home.

Don't ask me why, but Rohaleen strikes me somewhat as the bridge between Madoc and the girls (which is weird in a way because like Rohaleen, Balein is close to being middle aged). Someone occasionally having the elder knight's back when dealing with the antics of two princesses and whatever Calliope is up would probably be a godsend for Madoc (when Rohaleen isn't involved in shenanigans of her own, that is).
    I'm okay with this! ^_^ Rohaleen isn't really the type to be caught up in shenanigans as it were - she feels too old for that sort of thing. Age may just be what she tells herself, to look away from the fact that her career of constant danger has drained some of her capacity for mirth. Jolly on the outside, but burdened by reflexive vigilance.

Anyways, I'm going to purchase mundane equipment for Rohaleen now. Might throw in a 1st-level wand or a few potions or something, who knows.
    Last edited by Talore; 2016-06-12 at 09:18 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Spent a bit more money on Eshalyn and changed up a few spells, Im shamelessly metagaming with a number of anti dragon spells, but hey, the kingdom was built on killing off the beasties anyway. In terms of the chart, why dont we start Eshalyn adventuring in earnest at age 18, 4 years ago.

- Sheldon Cooper

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Talore View Post
    I'm okay with this! ^_^ Rohaleen isn't really the type to be caught up in shenanigans as it were - she feels too old for that sort of thing. Age may just be what she tells herself, to look away from the fact that her career of constant danger has drained some of her capacity for mirth. Jolly on the outside, but burdened by reflexive vigilance.
    I like the idea as well. I imagine that the ladies that Madoc would have the most troubles with are the two younger ones, so a more mature and levelheaded travelling companion to back him up now and again would certainly be something he appreciates.

As for Madoc being part of the group that went to calliope's village and found her, I'm all for it.
    It would make sense for him to join Rohaleen and Balein, since at that point in time he'd have been friends with them for 9-10 years or so. And it would set a point where he first met Calliope. If she found him to be someone she felt safe with on the trip back to the castle, it would make the fact that the queen made him her primary guardian tie nicely together with the rest.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Last edited by El'the Ellie; 2016-06-13 at 09:18 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

This fine lady gets me.

I will answer to all introduction posts in the next update, so no need to wait for me to answer to each one. Feel free to meet along the way if you feel like it, whatever feels best to you.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Aaand in this corner, the doting father-figure, starting of with a hard lifestyle comment, followed by relationship advice.

How will the young lady scribe react to this surprise assault of parental affection?

(I hadn't planned for him to be so openly... well parent-ish, but as soon as I read how proper Calliope was, calling him Sir and all, I just felt that it was the right thing to do.)

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Haha, dad-away my friend.

As a side note I realized after posting, I'm used to a very comfortable level of RP, since I'm used to playing with IRL friends. If we as a party prefer a game of a different color (no swearing, for instance) definitely tell me and I can be amenable.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Haha, dad-away my friend.

As a side note I realized after posting, I'm used to a very comfortable level of RP, since I'm used to playing with IRL friends. If we as a party prefer a game of a different color (no swearing, for instance) definitely tell me and I can be amenable.
    Well, you won't have to worry about me. I'm also used to IRL RP where we're comfortable enough with each other that we can say pretty much whatever. Besides that, I have a pretty high tolerance for all sorts of things, so I won't mind at all.

That said, I most likely won't swear or any such thing in this game, mostly because it wouldn't fit with Madoc's character.

But yeah, if something should come up that I'm not comfortable with, I'll holler about it. And I expect that you guys'll to do the same if I write something you have issues with.

EDIT: A small question for MikelaC1, now that I've read your IC post. Do we, by which I mean us in the player group, know that it's Eshalyn under her Nyssian disguise? Or has that not been revealed to us yet?
    Last edited by gremlin-pult; 2016-06-13 at 01:31 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

You don't have anything to fear from me in terms of limitations.

On a sidenote, I barely ever play outside of PbP on these boards, but when I do, it just gets nutty in all sorts of ways (Discord text to speech was involved in both the German and English variations. Copious usage of the words chili, laser, and space was present, often in combination. Someone had a gun firing superheated soup that could also fire experimental weapon-grade chili, but we had to be careful about clogging the damn thing). And that's because, well, I GM'd that quote unquote Star Wars game and none of us wanted a serious game. This game won't be ridiculous like that, but I am open to fun stuff (like I am already seeing, great job guys ).

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

You don't have anything to fear from me in terms of limitations.

On a sidenote, I barely ever play outside of PbP on these boards, but when I do, it just gets nutty in all sorts of ways (Discord text to speech was involved in both the German and English variations. Copious usage of the words chili, laser, and space was present, often in combination. Someone had a gun firing superheated soup that could also fire experimental weapon-grade chili, but we had to be careful about clogging the damn thing). And that's because, well, I GM'd that quote unquote Star Wars game and none of us wanted a serious game. This game won't be ridiculous like that, but I am open to fun stuff (like I am already seeing, great job guys ).
    That... Sounds suprisingly fun. We usually don't get that silly in my IRL group. We just very often end up taking our characters to extremes, mostly stupid extremes. The worst part is, we're usually so damn lucky with our rolls and such when we do that it works out. Which of course only encourages us to do more of the same.

For instance, one of the most memorable characters I've played was in a Warhammer Fantasy RP. I played a dwarf slayer, which for those not initiated in Warhammer, is a dwarf who has disgraced himself, and subsequently sworn an oath to die in honorable combat against the worst odds he can get. The most dangerous army, the toughest dragon, that sorta stuff.
    Long story short, it wasn't his death that was most memorable. It was his victory over elven pirates. Their ship was in a small bay, surrounded by tall cliffs. Our group was on top of the cliffs, maybe 200 feet above them. The others started planning an elaborate ambush. I, however, decided that shock and awe was the way to go. So I jumped of the cliff, down onto the ship. By all rights it should have killed me, but I rolled so ridiculously on my luck, dexterity and toughness rolls that I not only survived, but insta-killed the captain when I landed on him. I then proceeded to maul the horrified crew, which was not easy with a broken leg and no weapon since I dropped mine. But again, I just tore into them, and kept rolling 1 critical hit after another.
    When the team got over their surprise and joined me on the ship, I'd managed to kill 8 of the 15 elven pirates. The rest had jumped ship and were only spared because I couldn't swim, and drowning wouldn't be a worthy death.
    Last edited by gremlin-pult; 2016-06-13 at 01:54 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Let's just say that, in terms of limitations, I'm happy going... somewhat further than GiantITP's board guidelines. In most directions. So you'll probably need to worry more about when the mods will stop you than when I will.

Still, I didn't see this as a crazy game when I signed up. If I had, Balein would be an Awakened Wolf Druid named 'Miss Fluffles'...

Anyway, time to go catch up on the IC thread.