New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Feat: Bomb Thrower

Inspired by the new tool feats, I thought I'd put together something for throwing alchemical substances, since Tavern Brawler is currently the only way to get proficiency in them.

Bomb Thrower
    You are an expert at throwing alchemical materials.
    • Increase your Intelligence score by 1, to a maximum of 20.
    • You gain proficiency in alchemist’s supplies. If you are already proficient, your proficiency bonus is doubled when you make checks with them.
    • You gain proficiency in improvised weapons.
    • Double the range of any flask, vial, bomb, or other alchemical object you throw.
    • When an alchemical object you attack with deals damage, add your Intelligence modifier to that damage. If it deal damage multiple times, add this bonus only once.

My only concern is it might become rather useless at higher level without more potent substances to throw.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Feat: Bomb Thrower

Another thing to consider is that using bombs is an action, allowing it to replace a single attack is necessary to make it viable past 5th level.
    Spoiler: Homebrew Common Courtesy
    Show
    When asking for homebrew critique please respect everyone else's time by;
    • Stating which edition.
    • Telling us what you are trying to achieve.
    • Updating your OP.
    • Referencing non core content.
    • Making the formatting reader friendly.
    • Giving a direct link to your content.

Thank you.

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Final Hyena View Post
    Another thing to consider is that using bombs is an action, allowing it to replace a single attack is necessary to make it viable past 5th level.
    Only for martial characters with Extra Attack. And adding more potent alchemical things to throw would also solve that, in the same way as scaling cantrips.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Goober4473 View Post
    Inspired by the new tool feats, I thought I'd put together something for throwing alchemical substances, since Tavern Brawler is currently the only way to get proficiency in them.

Bomb Thrower
    You are an expert at throwing alchemical materials.
    • Increase your Intelligence score by 1, to a maximum of 20.
    • You gain proficiency in alchemist’s supplies. If you are already proficient, your proficiency bonus is doubled when you make checks with them.
    • You gain proficiency in improvised weapons.
    • Double the range of any flask, vial, bomb, or other alchemical object you throw.
    • When an alchemical object you attack with deals damage, add your Intelligence modifier to that damage. If it deal damage multiple times, add this bonus only once.

My only concern is it might become rather useless at higher level without more potent substances to throw.
    Seems decent and simple enough to me. While you're at it, why don't you homebrew some more potent substances yourself? ;) If a DM is allowing this, he or she might be convinced to add those too, if they seem balanced.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2016-06-14 at 01:53 AM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Goober4473 View Post
    Only for martial characters with Extra Attack. And adding more potent alchemical things to throw would also solve that, in the same way as scaling cantrips.
    Only for 5/12 classes.
    Adding in more powerful bombs so that the damage is viable creates a weapon that is just as good with a caster as a martial character.
    A level 5 martial weapon attack should be better than a level 5 cantrip (with the exception of a warlock).
    So a scaled up bomb ends up either not good enough for a martial to use over a weapon, or elevates a caster up to a martial.
    Spoiler: Homebrew Common Courtesy
    Show
    When asking for homebrew critique please respect everyone else's time by;
    • Stating which edition.
    • Telling us what you are trying to achieve.
    • Updating your OP.
    • Referencing non core content.
    • Making the formatting reader friendly.
    • Giving a direct link to your content.

Thank you.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Final Hyena View Post
    Only for 5/12 classes.
    Adding in more powerful bombs so that the damage is viable creates a weapon that is just as good with a caster as a martial character.
    A level 5 martial weapon attack should be better than a level 5 cantrip (with the exception of a warlock).
    So a scaled up bomb ends up either not good enough for a martial to use over a weapon, or elevates a caster up to a martial.
    I'm not super worried about a feat not being useful for all classes, but I think having more powerful substances is a good fix all around, because it could add weirder damage types and/or status conditions for a martial character, and improve damage for a caster that's not expending spell slots, but not all the time in either case since you're spending money, if not time, getting the stuff to throw. I think pricing is going to be the biggest balance factor here.