Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 459
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ridai's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Germany (GMT +1)

    Default The Dragonslayer's Legacy IC

    It is said that the wind was Ariandra Dawnbreaker's herald. To the downtrodden, it sang of hope. To the dragons, it whispered doom. It howled around every strike of her lance and she seemed to ride it during monumental leaps to impale the mighty creatures mid-flight. The slaves that were freed last spoke of wyrms starting at every breeze and once Kal'Thurax fell, a gale carried the message all across what would become Alevia. It is difficult to say how much is truth and how much is folklore when a powerful being such as the Dragonslayer was involved. But the people of the still fairly young kingdom (measured against the likes of elder Mordain or the Immortal Forest beyond the grasp of ages), who have now enjoyed almost five hundred years of peaceful mending of their homeland and sharing its joys, like to think the winds of Alevia always have a fateful quality to them. It was windy day when Princess Eshalyn Dawnbreaker was born. It is a windy evening on which Queen Valessa Dawnbreaker gathers the greatest heroes of the homeland she has sworn to protect.

    When the queen asked for their assistance, it was not with the urgency of impending danger, but still with an unmistakable air of importance. The Alevian royal family does not make such requests flippantly. And the heroes can feel it too, in the streets of the capitol Cylia and the halls of the castle in its midst. The wind blows. Destiny calls.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I thought about narrating your arrival, but honestly, I thought it would be more fun to have each of you describe your entrance to introduce your character, whether that is arriving in Cylia and making your way into the castle, going to the castle from somewhere within Cylia, or already being inside the castle and heading to the meeting room to see the queen. Feel free to describe what your character has been doing before heading out (or is doing on the way), and to have people recognize and honor you in whatever way you feel is appropiate.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Helsingoer, Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Dragonslayer's Legacy IC

    Madoc had been in the middle of testing the newest candidates for royal knighthood when the call came.
    Like so many times before, he had just beaten a recruit to the ground, not giving him a chance whatsoever of putting up a fight. This first bout was important. It told the youngsters that they would get no special treatment here, no matter their background, and it told them that the training would be hard. Hellishly hard.
    As for Madoc, the bout told him what kind of soldier each of the recruits could become. Their reactions told him everything. This last one he had high hopes for. The lad had little training, coming from a farmers background, but his natural talents and reflexes where good. More importantly, he'd gotten up and readied his sword without a complaint despite having his nose broken. He'd just given Madoc an intense, wary stare. Those boys always went on to be some of his most tenacious and gifted knights.
    But the training had been put on hold when the messenger came and called upon Madoc for royal business, much to the relief of those who hadn't been tested yet. To nip that relief in the bud, he ordered them to run laps while in armor, under the watchful eyes of his sergeants.

    After cleaning the worst sweat of, while ruefully lamenting that 10 years ago he would not even have gotten warmed up by such light excercise, Madoc made his way towards the royal chambers.
    Smiling and nodding respectfully to all he met on the way, Madoc treaded these vaunted halls, as he'd done so many times before. Any knight he met stood at attention and saluted him, and the servants smiled and gave small bows of respect.
    If you had asked him 20 years ago where he would end up, he would loudly have proclaimed that a position like this, with the respect of all who knew him, was exactly where he'd end. Now, he could appreciate it. He had worked hard, and gone through many troubles to get where he was today, and he was happy for it. He shuddered to think how it would have turned out if his younger, arrogant self had held his position at court.

    When he reached the hallway that marked the private quarters of his lieges, Madoc pushed such thoughts aside. It was no time to reminisce when the queen called. He did wonder why he had been called upon, however. It was slightly unusual. He certainly wouldn't have gotten an official royal summons if the king and queen merely wanted his company.
    Handing his sword to one of the royal guards stationed outside the royal chambers, he knocked three times on the door, and waited.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WhiteWizardGirl

    Join Date
    May 2016

    Default Re: The Dragonslayer's Legacy IC

    The boy was pacing back and forth on the other side of the doors, Calliope could tell. There was no magic there: his footsteps were loud, made louder by the silence of the remote section of the archives. It was painfully obvious that the messenger boy was dreading interrupting her, or perhaps hoping she was about to leave so he didn't have to interrupt. In fact his pacing was so painfully obvious that Calliope had entirely put aside the leather bound book that lay in front of her, just waiting for his interruption. A minute went by, then two. His hesitation had been amusing at first, but was quickly turning to irritation: Calliope was perfectly aware of the rumors, particularly among the younger members of the court, that were spread about her, but getting this apprehension was still a bit disheartening.
    Maybe I can try being a bit more approachable, like other women in the court...
    "You can come in, you know."
    It came out significantly more irritated than she intended. She heard the messenger boy gasp, and kneaded the sides of her head in irritation: she could practically hear the story he would tell his friends already, about how Calliope had 'mystically' known he was there before he even arrived. She sighed.
    The boy entered timidly, bowed slightly, cleared his throat and held out a sealed letter.
    "The Royal Queen Va--" he begins very importantly.
    "Yes, yes, I can see the mark on the seal." Calliope snatched the letter from him and cracked open the very official seal. Normally she would not be so short with the poor boy, but she had just discovered the accounts she had been reading, Life and Culture of the Kobold People During the Reign of Kal'Thurax, was missing Volume Eight, and she had really been looking forward to seeing what caused Kal'Thurax to decimate, as the literal definition, of the Knuktuk line.
    More or less ignoring the messenger now, she read the letter in front of her quickly. While being summoned by the Queen was not uncommon, this had a strange portent to it, which in her line of work was not to be ignored.
    She rose quickly and gathered her things, saying "Come, Cat."
    The boy's eyes bugged out as a large squarish emerald with spider-like legs came scurrying around the corner and hopped up Calliope's arm, up the back of her beck and nestled nicely in her red hair. Calliope noticed the boys reaction as she left.
    "An Introduction to the Physical Manifestation of Psionics: Psicrystals and Ectoplasm, by Gwedry Diopta. Room 6, row 17, shelf 3. You might want to read it."
    She looks him over again. "Also room 3 row 8, shelf 7: Madam Anine's Guide to Mundane Remedies for Pockmarks and Other Pubescent Ailments."
    With that, she closed the door and made her way to the Royal Chambers, where she was surprised to see Sir Madoc waiting as well. She bowed to him politely, most of her earlier irritation having already left.
    "Sir Madoc. I can't say I imagined seeing you here. Are you seeking counsel with the Queen?"

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Helsingoer, Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Dragonslayer's Legacy IC

    "Hmm?" Madoc turned at the sound of someone calling out to him, his politely neutral expression turning into a broad, warm smile at the sight of the girl he had known since she was a child. "Ah, Calliope. Good to see you my dear." He said happily, reaching out and pulling the girl into a firm hug. He did not care whether the knights stationed nearby saw. It was common knowledge around the castle that Madoc's manners were considerably more easy-going around the girl.
    Releasing her after a second or two, he let her take a step back and answered her question. "Not exactly. I was given a royal summons while breaking in the new recruits. And I can guess that you were summoned as well. Now I am even more curious as to what her grace needs of us."

    Madoc paused for a moment, looking Calliope up and down. His brows furrowed slightly. "Hmm, you seem pale Calli. You haven't gotten enough sun lately. Perhaps we could go for a ride outside the city later, if our duties permit it? You know I don't like that you spend too much time inside, and your books will not run away if you leave for a little while." He said, a faint trace of admonishment in his voice.
    Then a twinkle appeared in his eye, and he smiled again. "Or perhaps you could join me outside when I train the rest of the recruits. There's this one lad who I think you would like. He got up and was ready for more after I broke his nose in the first bout. He has talent, and moxy to boot. He'll make a solid, dependable husband for a young lady..." He said, his voice completely innocent, yet not at all hiding the hints he was making.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground
     
    MikelaC1's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Dragonslayer's Legacy IC

    ka-BOOM
    Eshalyn watched the fireball go off with satisfaction, the spell was one she has just mastered and still occasionally had a problem with it. But now, she seemed to have everything well in hand. Standing outdoors in the practice range, Eshalyn surveyed the field, noting the young page boy looking around, clearly seeking someone. Her keen eyesight could pick out her mother's royal seal on the letter, it was for her but in her Nyssian disguise, the page couldn't find her. Tentatively he approached her, as she was the only person who wasn't still aiming at some target.
    Pardon ma'am, but have you seen Princess Eshalyn around?
    Still staying in Nyssian character, she responded...You jusssst missssssed her, but if you give me that note, I'll make ssssure ssshe getsss it...with the ssseal ssstill intact she added, seeing the boy's hesitation. The winning smile she favored him with sealed the deal.
    Waiting until the boy was gone, Eshalyn opened the summons and sighed. Hopefully this was not about to be another reprimand, that last accident had totally not been her fault, and there should be no way she could be connected with that last piece of blueberry pie. Those were the only two outstanding issues, although her father could probably come up with others if he put his mind to it.

    Heading back into the castle, the only thing anyone saw was the usual Nyssian acolyte heading in some unknown destination with the typical snake-like inscrutable motive. Slipping into the audience hall, she was surprised to see Calliope and Madoc already waiting there...(which made the issue of the pie moot). Still keeping in character, although both of them knew her, she continued to be Eshalyn "D'Hista". Ssso, I ssseee duty callssss
    Only a fool fights in a burning house - Klingon proverb

    They say "may you live in interesting times"...Ive tried interesting and now I'll take boring.

    I am not trusting my research paper to some millennial. They'll put unicorn emojis on it and post it on social media.
    - Sheldon Cooper

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WhiteWizardGirl

    Join Date
    May 2016

    Default Re: The Dragonslayer's Legacy IC

    Calliope smiles and returns the soldiers strong hug with a small oof. She was instantly extremely curious as to why she and Madoc had both been summoned: they were not a likely pair. She hoped the Queen wasn't going to use her like a ferry to teleport Madoc somewhere in a hurry. But like most times idle wondering would do no good. They would both find out soon.
    She rolled her eyes and smiled a bit as Madoc made his comments, which turned into a reddish embarrassment as he brought up 'solid, loyal lads'. It might have not been as visible, had Madoc not been spot on about her needing some sun.
    "That might be nice..." She immediately cringes. "The riding!"
    Catastrophe empatheticly conveys a wild laughter, and she turns a shade deeper. "Of horses. I mean. Yes, we should go horse riding later today."
    Fahrlahnghn kill me where I stand.
    Last edited by El'the Ellie; 2016-06-13 at 03:08 PM.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Helsingoer, Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Dragonslayer's Legacy IC

    At the sight of Calliope's reddening face Madoc let loose a joyful laugh, his deep, booming baritone voice carrying far in the halls.
    Another thing that people who resided in the castle were used to. "Hahaha, Well we best make sure to ride out more than once while the season's still warm and sunny. Get some color on your face, lest it be much too easy for the young lads to read." He said, still chuckling. After becoming somewhat of a father, Madoc had quickly learned why his own father had been so keen on the fine art of teasing and embarrasing one's children.
    "Anyway." He said when his mirth had settled down. "I trust that you at least still make sure to eat and sleep properly. I don't want to have to put a guard on you again to ensure that you don't work yourself to exhaustion. You do no one any favors by weakening yourself. Remember: A healthy mind rests only in a healthy body." He lectured, raising a finger as he spoke what had almost become a mantra over the years of dealing with the bookish girl.

    Noticing the "Nyssian" joining them, Madoc tactfully turned from his parenting of Calliope and gave a respectful half-bow towards the princess.
    "Lady D'Hista. Good day to you. Where you summoned by her grace as well?" He asked, smiling familiarly, albeit not so much that it would seem improper.
    Last edited by gremlin-pult; 2016-06-13 at 02:21 PM.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    England

    Default Re: The Dragonslayer's Legacy IC

    Balein's messenger wasn't nearly as lucky as Madoc, Calliope or Eshalyn's. He'd needed to find someone who was not only outside the castle... and the city... but who roved around large areas of countryside for a living. For many days, this brave man had followed a trail of druids, each one pointing him to a druid closer along the chain to Balein than the last.

    Then he'd gotten bored, found the first cleric he could who had met her, and paid for a Sending spell.

    A day later a pair of hawks had arrived at the temple where he was waiting. There was a (no doubt comical to onlookers) moment where one of the hawks tried to seize the letter from him... before Balein remembered why he was fighting her. Even though she had a reputation for this sort of behaviour, no-one ever seemed to be ready to have Balein turn back into an adult elf while perched on their shoulder.

    Still, no-one ever forgets witnessing that entrance.

    An apology and a Cure Minor Wounds later, Balein had her message. A minute after that, the two hawks were gone once again.



    About two days before the poor messenger would finally make it home, Balein's flight ended in the castle. She took a few moments in the gardens to compose herself (and to let the newest palace gardener do likewise - the more experienced ones got to spend that time trying to hide their laughter at their colleague's plight) before collecting her hawk, attaching her psicrystal to her 'necklace', and heading inside.

    "Ooh, what an odd little crowd we make, " Balein could deploy exquisite manners if she was of such a mind. But the group milling around outside the royal chambers were, for the most part, old friends of hers. They shouldn't need to be handled quite so carefully....
    "What do the rest of you think, another rising cult in need of a stomping? Or have we just drawn something more... exotic?"

    She had, sadly, arrived too late to catch the original conversation. We all know which side the Druid would have supported on the 'time in library' vs 'time outdoors' argument... Although which side she'd have come down on on the 'Calliope needs a boyfriend!' talk is a more open question.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WhiteWizardGirl

    Join Date
    May 2016

    Default Re: The Dragonslayer's Legacy IC

    Calliope breaths an audible sigh of relief as the other two women arrive: anything for a reprieve from this impromptu discussion about her love life, or lack thereof. Calliope knew Madoc meant the best, but it wasn't as if this opinion was news to her.
    "Eshalyn, and Miss Balein." she says, greeting each of them in turn. Noticeably, she is a great deal more respectful to Balein. Although the princess might technically be of higher standing, Calliope owes Balein not only for her Psionic training, but her life as well, which she clearly hasn't forgotten.
    She noticeably stiffens when the elf mentions the demise of her town offhandedly, but says nothing.
    "My senses tell me we venture into the unknown: each of us have our skills but each different. Which means the Queen might not know quite what she needs, other than people she can trust."

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Helsingoer, Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Dragonslayer's Legacy IC

    While he wasn't thrilled that Calliope didn't take his advice as seriously as he would have liked, Madoc could see that he would get no further at this point. So instead he simply followed the others into the next topic.
    "I would expect that speculating about it is largely pointless. Her Grace will tell us soon enough, I'm sure." He said, with that unwavering faith in his lieges that he was known for.
    "I will admit that whatever it may turn out to be, I am at least glad that it has given us an opportunity to catch up. It has been a while, Balein." He added, smiling warmly at his old friend. "But yes, for all of us to be gathered, it is certainly important."

    "Now, let us talk of other things. We cannot know anything about this until we are told, anyway." He exclaimed clapping his hands, as if to signal that the subject was closed. "How are you, Balein? What have you experienced since we last met?"
    He asked eagerly. It was no great secret that Madoc at times got stricken with the wanderlust of his questing days, yet could not feed it since his duties kept him at the castle most of the time. So the best he could do was to live vicariously through his travelling friends.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    England

    Default Re: The Dragonslayer's Legacy IC

    Oddly enough, Balein hadn't meant Calliope's village, specifically. There'd been a bunch of cults - Dragon and otherwise - over the years. Even in the nicest of nations, there's always someone out there annoyed they're not God-Emperor, and willing to sell their soul to who-knows-what to correct that 'oversight'.

    "For the last time, Calliope, " Balein... had said this before. Several times by now. The tone of exasperation in her voice was both expected, theatric, and quite clearly fake. "I'm not a 'Miss' anything. Either we're friends, and you can call me 'Bal', or we're not, and I'm 'Princess Balein'. Just because this one, " a dismissive wave of the hand in Madoc's direction, "has bad habits doesn't mean you should be copying them."

    As Balein turned back to Madoc, her Psicrystal began to move. It had been clasped to her Periapt of Wisdom (it's usual riding point when she wasn't a small bird), but took the opportunity to leap off for a new spot on Calliope's shoulder. It didn't reach (having timed the jump wrong), but caught itself in the air, and gently floated the rest of the way.

    "Well, I haven't been doing anything bloody enough to catch 'Mad' Madoc's interest," It wasn't his nickname now, but she had a long memory for things she could tease people about... "or else I might have sent word back. Just wildlife adjustments for the most part. Moving wolf packs around so no one farmer's losing too much livestock, that sort of thing. How's life at the palace been treating you three?" At this point, she addresses the last comment to Eshalyn. "As boring as it's supposed to be, or have you been managing to keep entertained while I was away?"

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WhiteWizardGirl

    Join Date
    May 2016

    Default Re: The Dragonslayer's Legacy IC

    Calliope smiled at that, and nodded. "As you wish, Miss Bal." she said, just to be childishly annoying.
    Catastrophe scuttled out of her hair down to Bal's own Psicrystal where they scuttled around communicating... Whatever it is Psicrystals talk about without their masters.

    Letting the two older folks catch up Calliope takes a step towards Eshalyn. "Why do I smell... burned something?" She looks suspiciously at the princess.
    Spoiler: Small Grammatical Library: use as desired. Please return links to front desk after checking them out.
    Show

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Helsingoer, Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Dragonslayer's Legacy IC

    Madoc rolled his eyes at the nickname Balein used. "Ach, woman... Why is it that, out of all the names I've been called over the years, you just will not let go of the most unflattering one? For goodness sake, I was only called that by those outlander mercenaries. And only once. Twice at the most!" he grumbled, letting out a long suffering sigh. "I swear, you're tricked into drinking their thrice damned battlebrew once and it follows you for life... I still can't remember half of that battle, you know."

    Shaking his head wearily at the memory, he swiftly moved on. "But anyway, life here has been business as usual. Nothing really out of the ordinary has happened. But that's a good thing." He continued. One could perhaps imagine that it sounded a smidgen like he was trying to convince himself, more than anyone else. "I HAVE had some luck with the newest batch of knightly applicants, though. Some real potential amongst them. I will enjoy training them, I think. It is good to know that the future knights will be worthy of the title."

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground
     
    MikelaC1's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Dragonslayer's Legacy IC

    I jussst managed to cassst the fireball ssspell. But it wasss out on the range, you ssshouldnt be able to sssmell anything
    Only a fool fights in a burning house - Klingon proverb

    They say "may you live in interesting times"...Ive tried interesting and now I'll take boring.

    I am not trusting my research paper to some millennial. They'll put unicorn emojis on it and post it on social media.
    - Sheldon Cooper

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WhiteWizardGirl

    Join Date
    May 2016

    Default Re: The Dragonslayer's Legacy IC

    Calliope shrugs. "Sensing things I shouldn't be able to is kind of in the job description for me. That and tracking down little pie thieves..."
    She pauses for a moment, then nods in approval. She's getting better. Better more quickly than I am at any rate. I only hope she knows what she's doing. Arcane magic is significantly more dangerous and unbridled than the divine.
    Spoiler: Small Grammatical Library: use as desired. Please return links to front desk after checking them out.
    Show

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground
     
    MikelaC1's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Dragonslayer's Legacy IC

    And I hope you catch that pie thief too, becaussse I had my eye on having it too.

    Spoiler: Bluff
    Show
    (1d20+18)[24]
    Only a fool fights in a burning house - Klingon proverb

    They say "may you live in interesting times"...Ive tried interesting and now I'll take boring.

    I am not trusting my research paper to some millennial. They'll put unicorn emojis on it and post it on social media.
    - Sheldon Cooper

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    RedKnightGirl

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Dragonslayer's Legacy IC

    Back from her kitchen raid, Rohaleen turns the corner with a wineskin still in hand and breadcrumbs caught in the neck of her cloak. She makes a point of eating "civilized" food every time she left the borderlands - simply-cooked meat and produce are plentiful on the job.

    Her eyes light up when she recognized Balein and the others. "My, what nostalgic company!" she calls out from the end of the hall. Quickening her pace, she catches up to the others. Balein is subjected to a running hug and a kiss on the cheek as Rohaleen calls out, "Aunt Bal!"

    Turning to the others with a wide grin and a wink, Rohaleen ponders, "And here I thought I was called from the borderlands because the Queen had started taking a fancy to me! All those cold castle nights with naught but a grumpy old human~" She laughs, and gives D'Hista a friendly slap on the shoulder.

    Giving another look over the assembled, her grin fades away. In a much more solemn tone, she asks, "It must be bad if we've all been called?"
    Last edited by Talore; 2016-06-17 at 09:53 PM.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WhiteWizardGirl

    Join Date
    May 2016

    Default Re: The Dragonslayer's Legacy IC

    Spoiler
    Show
    Sense motive: (1d20+21)[24]
    Edit: oh snap. Well met Eshalyn.


    Calliope gives Eshalyn a long, searching look. One that she's probably used to when suspected of things. Finally she sighs and says, "At any rate, the mystery will go unsolved. I'm sure your mother called us in for more important matters."

    The five of them made quite the oddity of people the Queen had gathered. She was thinking much along the same lines as Rohaleen, but instead said, "Well, none of us really know anything for certain yet... There's every chance we're being congratulated for our service to the crown..."
    Last edited by El'the Ellie; 2016-06-14 at 04:55 PM.
    Spoiler: Small Grammatical Library: use as desired. Please return links to front desk after checking them out.
    Show

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    RedKnightGirl

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Dragonslayer's Legacy IC

    Rohaleen shakes her head at the oracle's suggestion. "I doubt that," she says, turning to D'Hista. "No offense to you younglings, but I haven't exactly worked with either of you much, and with nobody recently. If this were just a show of thanks, there'd be no reason that we in particular would be summoned together."

    Feeling a bit awkward with that being said, Rohaleen turns away to wipe the crumbs from her cloak. She mutters to herself, "Damn thing's worse than a beard..."
    Last edited by Talore; 2016-06-17 at 09:52 PM.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Helsingoer, Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Dragonslayer's Legacy IC

    Quote Originally Posted by Talore View Post
    Feeling a bit awkward with that being said, Rohaleen turned away to wipe the crumbs from her cloak. She muttered to herself, "Damn thing's worse than a beard..."
    "And how would you know about such things, hmm?" Madoc said, stroking his own well trimmed beard with a teasing smile. "We all know you are accustomed to the rough life in the frontier country, But I would think it has not turned you completely masculine yet." He let out another deep laugh "Although I will admit you have always had more metaphorical hair on your chest than most of the younger knights." He added, chuckling.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    RedKnightGirl

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Dragonslayer's Legacy IC

    Rohaleen shoots a venomous glare at the old knight, then deftly flicks a large crumb directly into his beard. She smiles, allowing a slight laugh to escape.
    Last edited by Talore; 2016-06-17 at 09:51 PM.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Helsingoer, Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Dragonslayer's Legacy IC

    Taking both the glare and the crumb-flicking in stride, Madoc brushed it out of his beard without losing his smile. It was good to see that she hadn't completely lost her sense of humor yet. He appreciated and greatly respected how extremely dutiful and hardworking she was, but even he knew that one couldn't live on duty alone.
    "So how fares the borders, Rohaleen? Anything brewing that one should worry about?"

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    England

    Default Re: The Dragonslayer's Legacy IC

    Balein had been gearing up to needle Madoc a little more, but a charging ranger entirely interrupted her train of thought. And staggered her with the impact... She was only light, after all. Still, no over-enthusiastic greeting would stop her returning Rohaleen's hug. And weighing in to the topic of the moment.

    "Honestly, from the people gathered... I'd say we've drawn something that's important to Alevia, but not - or at least, not yet - up to imminent 'fate of nations' or 'collapse of the civilized world' levels yet. If it was really, really bad news, there'd be dozens of people gathered here, not five...

    So, important enough to be worth sending Alevia's finest after, but not important enough to mobilize the army for. And now I've defined the limits for you, I'd love to see what answers you could come up with for our actual assignment...
    "

    In her mind, at least, there was no doubt about it. They were going to get told to do something. 'We're missing your company' notes weren't as urgent. And tended to be prettier and more personal....

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    RedKnightGirl

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Dragonslayer's Legacy IC

    "The borderlands, well, " Rohaleen trails off, brows furrowed. Raising her head, she continues, "You know that if anything were urgent then I'd have reported in immediately."

    The Magehound is reluctant to speak of her usual duties. The everyday tasks weren't a problem, but the constant mind games and machinations of The Scourge of the Deep Briar wear on her. She always tried to keep others out of their battle, for their own good.

    Despite her reluctance, she has too much respect for Madoc to completely dodge the real jist of his question. "He has been quiet for the last few months. I gladly take the respite, but I can't help but to worry on why it has been so long, and what he'll try next." Rohaleen looks away, trying to maintain the mirth of the atmosphere. Her smile is hollow.
    Last edited by Talore; 2016-06-17 at 09:51 PM.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ridai's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Germany (GMT +1)

    Default Re: The Dragonslayer's Legacy IC

    With perfect timing, the door opens just in the short break in the conversation, revealing a raven-haired halfling woman, dressed in white veils artfully wreathed around her adroit body, cheerily smiling up to them. "Good evening, good madams and sir," Meera Sunleaf chirps in a most fancy manner, adding a flourished curtsey. Everyone is very much familiar with the queen's aide and on a first name basis with her (she seemingly is with everyone, it is hard to be indifferent about her or even dislike her), but she always greets them in such formal ways, by now to respect and amuse in equal measures.

    "Do come in, the Queen is eager to see you." They are led into one the meeting room, flooded with evening sunlight from the three large windows set in the concave back wall. The halfling has absolutely no trouble with keeping ahead of longer-limbed heroes, her quick steps hardly audible on the polished tiled floor and absolutely silent once she reaches the carpet the round table in the room's center is standing upon. There are seven comfortable chairs around it, with bookshelves, paintings (of the pleasant kind, rather than the decadent sort) and an unlit fireplace adorning the walls. However, all eyes are soon drawn to the woman looking out of the window, enjoying the view of Alevia until she turns around.

    "It is so good to see all of you. Welcome and thank you for coming." Queen Valessa Dawnbreaker smiles to the group, warming them from within. They are familiar with various nobles, monarchs and the like, but none of them have the presence of Valessa. She is not a queen, she is the queen. Though approaching the age of 50, she looks far more youthful, her famed beauty seemingly only having increased as the years went by (the many songs and tales doing her even less justice now), just as her grace and energy have not diminished at all, people liking to compare her to the mythical amazons. It is not hard to see who Eshalyn got her looks from (nowadays usually mentioned by bards in the same breath as her mother), even if the princess is far less athletic in build.

    Valessa heads to the table, gesturing to the group to take a seat and briefly touching Meera's shoulder in thanks. "Eshalyn, dear, be so kind and let me see my daughter, there will be more than enough opportunity for your brand of mischief in the future," she requests, before sitting down at the table along with them. Meera, as always, stands by Valessa's side despite having a chair of her own, as always.

    "I wanted to invite you inside earlier, but you all catching up was too charming to interrupt. Indeed, those bonds are part of why I called for you. You are among Alevia's finest, and there are thousands who would be quite inclined to agree, and I have the incredible fortune of being able to call you my trusted friends," she favors Madoc, Balein, Calliope, and Rohaleen equally, each feeling their spirits lifted. "or my beloved daughter." She looks to Eshalyn, the mischievous princess (who is all too eager to follow in the footsteps of her mother's wild youth) unable to hide a smile in response.

    "As you already guessed, I called you here for something important, even if there is no immediate danger to Alevia. This land has enjoyed peace for centuries now, and prosperity growing alongside every bit of nature restored. It is my duty to serve the people and to ensure they do not need to fear hunger, violence, subjugation, or famine every waking hour. Sometimes, we like to think that we defeated the dragons for good, that they will not dare to return. But a few centuries are a much shorter time for them than for any of us, they have a long memory, and there is little doubt the Tiamatspawn have been scheming all this time, waiting for the right opportunity." She raises a hand, immediately calming any fears of having discovered a threat to the kingdom.

    "Normally, history tells us, realms had little hope of seeing the wyrms' plans coming and either had to persevere, or they crumbled beneath their guile and might. I do not intend to wait for that moment. And I may have found a way to remove that lingering threat to Alevia once and for all." The queen glances to Meera, who walks away to fetch a wrapped object. "During my adventures, I came across the ruins of a long fallen civilization, destroyed by the dragons, and found something that intrigued me, but no one could determine the purpose of this artifact. However, by now, we have gained several insights."

    The halfling returns and places the object on the table, unwrapping it to reveal a ruby the size of a grown man's fist, polished, inscribed, and set into what could be mithril. Anyone able to sense magical auras detects a great deal of power resting inside the object. "We believe this was created as a ward against dragonkind, but is only a part of something greater, and the civilization who created it was most likely destroyed before they could put it to use. Not only would it prevent dragons from entering the warded area, but also block their influence and magic. And from the looks of it, the completed artifact might cover a substantial area. The problem is finding the pieces and gathering knowledge about the artifact. That is why I called you." She pauses briefly.

    "We have no indication that the dragons are aware of this, and if we can get the whole thing and learn what it does exactly and how it was made, we could effectively prevent the dragons from ever threatening Alevia again, perhaps even more. It might not turn out to be a silver bullet to all of our problems, but this opportunity cannot be ignored. So I'd like all of you to covertly search for the other pieces and whatever information still exists. They might be in forgotten ruins or in the hands of an unknowing collector or noble, or something else entirely. It could very well be a dangerous journey. But I know that you are the ones who can accomplish this."

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WhiteWizardGirl

    Join Date
    May 2016

    Default Re: The Dragonslayer's Legacy IC

    Calliope studies the ruby from her chair, her eyes narrowed in concentration. She listens to the Queen's proposition and tries to remember if she has ever seen or heard of this thing before.
    "I assume, then, that basic divinations like Identify have already been met with little success?"
    She removed her glasses, rubbed her eyes, and put them back on. She already knew the answer to her question: the Queen wouldn't have called her in if this could be solved with simple spells. She thinks for a while longer.
    "Let us hope your information is accurate: if the chromatic dragons knew such a thing existed and that we had it, they would be at your doorstep by morning."
    Despite the odd, very significant nature of the mission, Calliope felt rather at home: sleuthing something and prying its secrets out was something she was used to. Admittedly the things she hunted down were typically paper and leather, but the idea is the same.
    "This assembly... Do we know anything about the other components? Appearance, powers, any mentions in history? If a society depended on this for survival against the tyrant dragons, I imagine they would have written about it: mentions of its creator or its use, if not detailed instructions on how to deploy it.
    If not, I might be able to pry some information from the land itself, but we would have to physically go to the place you found it. Where is that?
    And... sorry, did you say we were going covertly?"
    She says the last bit with a rather apprehensive tone.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Would knowledge Arcana be relevant? (1d20+11)[29]
    Last edited by El'the Ellie; 2016-06-15 at 09:39 AM.
    Spoiler: Small Grammatical Library: use as desired. Please return links to front desk after checking them out.
    Show

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ridai's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Germany (GMT +1)

    Default Re: The Dragonslayer's Legacy IC

    "Identify indeed revealed very little. Most magical objects are not very complex in the grand scheme of things, allowing Identify to work. Sadly, this one is beyond its capabilities. As for the information being accurate: I have been in possession of this object for longer than Eshalyn has been alive and so far, it did not draw any sort of attention. As for records, they are more than a little sparse. From what we could gather, this 'Dragonward' as the archmagister of the Academy likes to refer to it was a last ditch effort that came too late to be used. Also note that this was long ago and this ancient civilization was razed to the ground, much like what would have happened if Ariandra had lost against Kal'Thurax. Luckily, we have managed to find a trace of another part."

    Hearing Calliope's apprehension towards how the investigation is to be conducted, Valessa simply nods. "Yes, in that you would go disguised for the time being, with help of items I will provide. This is due to the simple fact that while I am confident you are the right people to manage this, sending the princess, the royal knight-captain, the royal archivist, a princess of the Immortal Forest and the Magehound of Alevia would raise more than a few eyebrows and get even more attention. The more attention you get, the more likely the dragons will hear about it, which is something we do not want." Valessa raises a hand. "I am not asking you to become a spy, Calliope, and I also would never force any of you onto this journey. I value the trust you give me, as well as our friendship. I am asking, not commanding."

    Calliope has of course heard of various warding spells, rituals, foci and the like, it is a staple of ancient and modern magic. Something of the described magnitude would require a lot of power, aptitude and preparation, the more specific the effect, the more possible it is to make it a reality on such a scale. But even then, when speaking about the scale of a nation, it would still be beyond anything current nations are likely capable of. Even several past societies have tried something not quite as ambitious and failed, or achieved something lesser but at tremendous cost.
    Last edited by Ridai; 2016-06-15 at 11:46 AM.

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Helsingoer, Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Dragonslayer's Legacy IC

    Standing straight, Madoc held his fist against his chest in the traditional knight salute. "You need not even ask, your grace. My sword is, as always, yours to command as you please. I will be honored to take this mission and the safety of the group upon my shoulders." He said, his voice and gaze unwavering.

    After a moment, a slight trace of uncertainty crossed his face however. "Although, while I declare thusly with no hesitation... I must admit that I am unsure whether I can keep up a disguise. My skill at acting and staying inconspicuous have been... mediocre at the best of times. I am not used to hiding my identity."

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground
     
    MikelaC1's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Dragonslayer's Legacy IC

    As the Queen first spoke, Eshalyn quickly removed the few pieces of disguise that made her look Nyssian, Is this better?, the sibilant snake-like hiss even leaving her voice. She listens to the parameters of the mission, of course she would go, there was no question of that. Besides the chance to unearth some tremendous item of arcana would be of great interest to her.
    Only a fool fights in a burning house - Klingon proverb

    They say "may you live in interesting times"...Ive tried interesting and now I'll take boring.

    I am not trusting my research paper to some millennial. They'll put unicorn emojis on it and post it on social media.
    - Sheldon Cooper

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ridai's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Germany (GMT +1)

    Default Re: The Dragonslayer's Legacy IC

    Valessa nods to her daughter. Eshalyn knows that, in a way, her mother doesn't want a barrier between them while talking about this, even if it is just a well-known disguise.

    To Madoc, the queen chuckles. "I cannot blame you for your honesty. Well then, shall we reframe this?" She looks to Calliope. "Calliope could use an escort for personal research," She looks back to Madoc. "and you requested some time off to accompany her, perhaps in less official appearance. And to help with your journey, you happen to have a suave Nyssian lady with you to help facilitate the proceedings on a social level, a skilled guide and bodyguard, and a Restorer to help with the nature side of her research. Does that sound more to your liking?"
    Last edited by Ridai; 2016-06-15 at 01:30 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •