Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Shadow Puppets IC

You found a poster. Whether it was pinned to an alley wall, discarded under a ballroom table, or trodden into a muddy field, you found it somehow. Its cryptic text (Help Wanted: Brave Souls) interested you; whatever your reason, you decided to answer the ad.
    Following the directions on the poster, you made your way to the ancient Highrow Manor in Dolddown. You were greeted by a thin man in a suit who ushered you into the dining hall, whereupon you found a dinner table and a number of the six figures now present at it.
    You took your seat. A fire crackles to your right, and a trio of candles flicker dimly on the tablecloth. Trays of luxuriant food rest before you, though no one has begun to eat yet. There are six seats and six occupants. At the opposite end of the table is the only other chair - an obviously valuable armchair with a high back. It sits empty, shadowed at the end of the hall.
    Wasing not of wasing is.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGirl

Default Re: Shadow Puppets IC

Terae Leaf sits patiently, four arms folded, and takes stock of her companions.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Ooh, fancy chairs!, Brant said, regarding the table and those around it. Do you think that he thinks it's intimidating?
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.
    Winner of MSE's Card of the Week #106 and #131
    You can now bind me as a vestige!

4. - Top - End - #4

NecromancerGuy

Thar'Daniss walks calmly in the room, his crossbow strapped on his back underneath his cloak, right below his backpack to make it easier for the Drow to draw it with one hand. His purple eyes scanned the room carefully, trying to notice as many information as he could about his surroundings without staring at anyone. He sat on his seat and took a sip of wine when he heard the dwarf commenting on the chairs. With a grin he replied:

"Well who knows if he thinks he's intimidating. What's for sure though, is that he likes to make his guests waiting."
    "Once, a bear grappled me and I dropped my weapon. She holded me so hard that the only thing I remember is the bear releasing me and running away. All I saw was a huge part of its arm missing and the wound being burned like someone bit it with fire."

The story of a barbarian while resting after being fatigued by his rage

I AM NOT QUITTING ANY GAMES. I'LL KEEP CHECKING THEM AND BE SUBSCRIBED TO THEM UNTIL THE DM DECLARES THEM DEAD.

5. - Top - End - #5

"Well good, because if there's one thing I love, it's waiting," sarcasm dripped from his tongue as the man in the mask glanced around, as he tapped his nails against the hardwood, impatiently. He had had doubts about coming here, that perhaps that poster had been planted to lure him into an ambush, but it seemed that they were all strangers here, so perhaps he would not need to fight his way out. Hm, but what an unsightly lot they were all the same. The man wondered what their use their host would desire of such a motley crew, and began tapping his foot in annoyance as well.

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGirl

"Bravery may require patience," says the four-armed Terae.
    Playing Terae Leaf, Shadow Puppets campaign IC / OOC/char sheet

7. - Top - End - #7

PaladinGuy

Spoiler: Perception 15
    Show

You notice a shadow detaching itself from the far end of the room. Slipping around the chair, it is seated. It considers you all, indistinct hands clasped before it on the table.
    Last edited by GreyStormcrow; 2016-06-15 at 08:37 PM.
    Wasing not of wasing is.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

"Patience is fine, and its only annoying when you get nothing out of it." said Garlin, who even when relaxing in a chair seems to tower over people. "Besides, its only been a few minutes."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Brant looked at the half-giant Dude, this guy couldn't be saying "I am rich and powerful and you should respect and fear me" any harder if it was written on glowing runes on his forehead!
    Last edited by digiman619; 2016-06-16 at 01:40 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10

"A few minutes for you, maybe. I've been here for just over an hour. I was beginning to think their plan was to hold me here and starve me, 'til you lot showed up."

He caught a glance at the shade from the corner of his eye, and made a chiding gesture, "Still, patience may be a virtue, but let it not be said that whinging won't get you what you desire eventually."

To which he fully addressed the figure, "Isn't that right?"

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

While unable to notice whatever the masked man had seen, Elias gave an expectant look in the same direction the masked man seemed to be looking at.

12. - Top - End - #12

NecromancerGuy

"Are you talking to ghosts human or is your sight too much valuable to direct it to us?"
    "Once, a bear grappled me and I dropped my weapon. She holded me so hard that the only thing I remember is the bear releasing me and running away. All I saw was a huge part of its arm missing and the wound being burned like someone bit it with fire."

I AM NOT QUITTING ANY GAMES. I'LL KEEP CHECKING THEM AND BE SUBSCRIBED TO THEM UNTIL THE DM DECLARES THEM DEAD.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGirl

Terae watches the shadow herself, but says nothing, more curious how it responds to Rostam.

14. - Top - End - #14

PaladinGuy

Chuckling, the figure speaks. "Welcome, all. I'd like to thank you all for being here - whatever your reasons." The voice (unmistakably male) is soft and low, yet easily made out. It is the voice of one trained in the arts of locution. The figure continues, "As I'm sure you've guessed, I'd like to hire you all. You each possess talents that make you... valuable, to one with goals such as mine, and I am prepared to pay you all handsomely."
    Clicking his figures, the figure summons the thin man from the corner, who hands him a glass of wine. "Now,"-he takes a sip-"Before we get down into the nitty-gritty, I'm sure you all have questions."
    Wasing not of wasing is.

15. - Top - End - #15

NecromancerGuy

Thar'Daniss was surprised once their host started speaking, however he got his cool back soon enough to not betray himself. After the man finished his speech he raised his glass and replied:

"Goals as yours? I am sorry but merely a handsomely reward is not enough for everyone. Do not reduce us to simple mercs."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Elias looked at the drow wierdly, and then commented himself: "To be honest, I'm more interested in the details of what you are intending us to do, rather than leave us with preconceptions that may or may not be accurate."

17. - Top - End - #17

PaladinGuy

"Of course," the figure says. "Quite simply, Dolddown is in a bad way. Criminals abound, crime lords lurk in the shadows, the Watch is stretched thing, and the streets at night are rife with violence. None of this - as I'm sure you can imagine - is at all profitable for a law-abiding businessman. Which is where you come in. I have the sources and contacts to find targets, but I don't have the muscle. If you're willing to provide that muscle..."
    Wasing not of wasing is.

18. - Top - End - #18

NecromancerGuy

Thar'Daniss turns to their host with a suspicious look on his face:

"Only if you are willing to provide proof of you being a law-abiding business man...."

19. - Top - End - #19

PaladinGuy

The figure shrugs. "Aside from our location, you mean? This is Highrow Manor, after all; home of Alexander Highrow. Or, in other words, me. But if my reputation isn't enough, I've got rooms of records and manifests somewhere around here. Finn can show you them."
    Taking another sip of wine, he sets it on the table. "Will thst satisfy you?"
    Wasing not of wasing is.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Hoping that the rather rude sounding Drow doesn't end up angering their potential contractor, Elias asked: "Sounds like an interesting offer. Do you intend to have us perform surgical strikes to target specific enemies, or will you have us figure our way around eliminating each target?"

21. - Top - End - #21

PaladinGuy

"Honestly? Yes. Your jobs would be subject to circumstances, with variance determined by the situation."
    The figure paused and looked at them. "I trust none of you find this objectionable?"
    Wasing not of wasing is.

22. - Top - End - #22

The masked man chuckled and leaned back (at least, as far as the highback chairs would allow), and propped his feet up, "So you're telling me that you'll pay me for what I've been doing for free all along? Hah! Well, at least I'll get to know where my next meal is coming from."

He dwelt on this a moment, then clapped his hands together, at last exclaiming, "Alright, I'll give it a try, sure! I see no obvious harm in agreeing to a stranger who will grant us the courtesy of his name but not his face! Now, while we're on the subject of my next meal..."

He trailed off, gazing at the feast before him hungrily.
    Last edited by Chromascope3D; 2016-06-16 at 05:08 PM.

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

23. - Top - End - #23

PaladinGuy

"Oh, please - go ahead. The food is for you, after all. As for my..."-he gestures towards his shadowed form-"Current location, I assure you that it is a precaution only. I am in close proximity with a number of dangerous individuals, with only my manservant for protection. Individuals, who - I may note - are at least somewhat of a mercenary nature. The shadows are merely a method of mitigating any danger, though I am confident that none of you pose one."
    Wasing not of wasing is.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGirl

"Hm," Terae ponders. This was unrelated to her questions about herself or the gods, but, it did seem a fitting use of her talents, which had meaning in itself. And... though she may not put it in terms of greed, the payment did not make her hesitate as it seemed it did some of her prospective comrades, lawfully obtained money simply meant resources to achieve one's own goals.

"Dealing with criminals is.... acceptable. If violence is indeed a problem, I see no objection to adding my services."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Garlin, who has been mostly silent until now, spoke up. "I assume you would have us go after the leadership or other important people in these criminal organizations. Do you have countermeasures for the inevitable surge of random crime that would happen after the fall of the ones who keep them organized and restrained? I would imagine that would be bad for buisiness. Or would be us as well?"

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Brant, grabbing a drumstick and still looking ahead, addresses his host "Three things: One: I knew you were there the whole time; I was just being passive-aggressive. Two: if you have the money, I have the weapons, but most importantly three:", he pauses for a bit as he takes a huge bite of meat, "that outfit is hideous. I understand why you were hiding earlier."
    Last edited by digiman619; 2016-06-16 at 10:05 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

"I find the terms quite agreeable," answered Elias, as the nobleman decided to instead focus on the meal in front of him. Naturally, that was until his mind finished processing what the dwarf had just said. Innerly, the spellblade prayed that their host wouldn't find himself too insulted.
    Last edited by Tuvarkz; 2016-06-16 at 06:42 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28

PaladinGuy

"I do have plans to deal with the backlash, yes. And these garments are somewhat hideous, I'm afraid. I certainly wouldn't dare entertain guests in them if circumstances did not call for it. Now, if everyone is in agreement," he stood, "I will leave you to your meal. Finn has prepared rooms for you all, and you'll be briefed on your first target in the morning. Sleep tight!"
    Turning, he left the same way he came.
    Wasing not of wasing is.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Finishing his drumstick, Brant takes a deep drink (and incidentally allowing time for the host to leave) before speaking. He seems fun. Do you think he's colorblind, or do you think his fashion sense just that bad?
    Last edited by digiman619; 2016-06-17 at 02:14 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGirl

Terae responds to Brant, "I don't see fashion sense having much to do with the task.

... but if I had to guess, I'd venture color blind. Though if he has a servant, we may not see a display like that again."