New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Good Murder Mystery Movies / Books For Inspiration?

"Murder Mystery" might be too broad a term.

I want to run a murder mystery type of adventure where a murder occurs on a boat and the PCs need to puzzle out who did it.

I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions on what to watch / read for inspiration for something like this?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Good Murder Mystery Movies / Books For Inspiration?

Depend on what type of "murder mystery" you're thinking.

But if you're thinking the same thing with me, Agatha Christie is pretty much the queen of these kind of classic setup.

Recommendation would be of course Murder on Orient Express (Murder! On a moving train!) And Then There Were None (10 people! On a mansion! Dropping one by one! Who is the killer!?)

Also Death in the Niles is pretty much Murder! In a Boat!

Depends on you further explanation, I might be able to recommend you more. I'm quite into detective novels.
    Last edited by Fri; 2016-06-19 at 01:15 AM.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

I recommend Sherlock Holmes. I don't know what era your game is happening in, but I assume not modern as they can't simply call for help, so anything gleaned from it should still be applicable.

Also, they are free and short, so even if you don't use them, you got something nice to read on a car trip.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Cluedo/Clue had a couple of novels I think. I believe they were set up similar to the boardgame, too
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Why would elves be better at detecting things? We all know that cats use their whiskers as part of their senses. Now compare elves and dwarves. Elves cannot grow facial hair. Dwarves have luxurious beards. Of course dwarves should be better at detecting stuff.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

I suggest the folksong "The Good Ship Bessie Quinn":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQYnC4ulB5s
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0c7yiZSyVY

It's about a sailing ship, probably a privateer, named the Bessie Quinn (it turns out, after Queen Elizabeth). One crewman has been killing and robbing people, and the cabin boy is known to be in love with the second mate's daughter, leading to his likely being tossed overboard in the night. The two plots can complicate each other. I've tried to use it as an RPG plot in the past, with little success since I'm still a rookie.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Read Encyclopedia Brown. While children's books an RPG benefits from this level of simplicity. The basic idea with the books is each one has around ten chapters and each chapter is a mystery. They are meant for the reader to figure out the solution, and there is a "solutions" chapter at the end of the book, that explains the logic behind the solution.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Encyclopedia_Brown