Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 419
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground
     
    smuchmuch's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    ??Ph??

    Default Re: Let's Play! Steampunk

    Given our marksmanship skills and our bad leg, jumping to hand to hand just wouldn't be very bright. And kinda lame.
    (Also: foul ! You already did a lighten the mood pun earlier . Let's wait a few pages before we start repeating ourselves, shall we ? )

    >Same vote: shoot him.

    Although will our character atempt to shoot him like, say, in the leg which is risky but has a chance of leaving the man alive for interogation or the more sensible center of mass ?
    Last edited by smuchmuch; 2016-07-04 at 08:45 PM.
    I'm sig'ing in the rain, just sig'ing in the rain....

    Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

    -

  2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground
     
    BlueWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Sewer maze

    Default Re: Let's Play! Steampunk

    So very sorry. Here's a new one:
    I sense that better things for Watson are..... on the horizon
    (seriously, this story needs to take a different direction, that was my last light pun)
    Spoiler
    Show


    Gone like the wind.

  3. - Top - End - #33
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Raleigh NC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Let's Play! Steampunk

    (Also: foul ! You already did a lighten the mood pun earlier . Let's wait a few pages before we start repeating ourselves, shall we ? )
    Complaints may go where the sun don't shine .

    Still, if we want to take the puns in a different direction, I wouldn't mind setting a new course (using an astrolabe).

    In any event, we pull out our revolver.

    Dmitri's hand slaps onto Finch's face, and Finch freezes in place…

    …directly between you and Dmitri, in your line of fire.
    Marksmanship: 67

    Fudge, we can't hit him! And Finch is being drained right in front of us!

    You can't do anything, and Finch hangs rigid in the Vlaskesar's grasp, but Stevenson stirs.

    Dmitri looks over at him, snarls in annoyance, and releases Finch. The Vlaskesar springs to his feet and manages to claw the heavy door open before Stevenson staggers to his feet. Dmitri escapes into the night, and with a choked sound of rage, Stevenson tears off in pursuit.

    Finch leans against the wall, as though dizzy. Visible in the poor light of the dark lantern–standing livid against the pale skin of his face–is a red handprint.

    Vote 23:

    # Fury clouds my vision. So the Vlaskesar is a light-eater as well as a spy–and he had the audacity to lay hands on a friend of mine?

    # For a moment panic rises in my throat, the handprint on Finch's face merging with the remembered handprint on Pierce's.

    # A sense of despair threatens to overwhelm me. In my city. They're in my city.

    # Beneath the worry over Finch, I am conscious of a little thrill of pleasure at the magnitude of this challenge.



    After we react ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Choice by Gaslight
    Finch raises his head to look at you. "…'s all right," he manages. "I'm all right. He only–touched me
    for a moment. It's already fading." With a grimace of attempted humor, he adds, "That bastard–look like a light-eater to you? Nor to me. We need that bloody Glass–in the worst way…" He pushes off the wall, shaking his head to clear it. "Right. Come on. We can't let him get away."
    No we can't!

    Quote Originally Posted by Choice by Gaslight
    Neither Dmitri nor Stevenson is in sight as you burst through the front door and into the street, but the sound of their running footsteps carry clearly in the frosty night air. You and Finch pause a moment, listening. The footsteps come from dead ahead as the crow flies, but the most direct route is blocked by a building.

    Finch goes right, you go left. As you approach the left-hand alleyway, the footsteps somewhere in front of you fade…still without telling you exactly where they were.

    Vote 24:

    #I run through the alleyway, trusting that my dark lantern will be enough to guide me and my reflexes quick enough to avoid the obstacles within.

    #I move slowly, trusting that I am stealthy enough to avoid drawing the notice of anyone lurking within.

    #Even knowing I have no time to waste, I spend a few precious seconds listening hard, attempting to gather additional data.


    Whichever way we choose ..

    Quote Originally Posted by Choice By Gaslight
    From up ahead, you hear a sigh and a shuffle—the shifting of position of someone who has no idea you are in here with him.

    Revolver in hand, you continue silently toward the sound…and all at once unshutter your lantern.

    It is Stevenson.

    Stevenson's face is paper-white, and he sits on the filthy cobblestones, sagging against the brick wall as though he hasn't the energy to hold himself upright. His shirt has been torn open, and the handprint is branded on his chest—not that you needed the confirmation; he is displaying all the symptoms of a man drained dangerously close to death by a light-eater.

    "I'm all right," he insists in a voice no louder than a whisper. "Leave me here and go after him–he went that way. Just be warned. He got my pistol away from me."

    Vote 25:

    #I thank him for the warning, clasp his hand in farewell, and continue my pursuit in the direction he indicated. He'll be all right until I get back.

    #I hesitate, looking about for something I can do for him.

    #I press my own revolver into his hand. "At least you won't be defenseless."



    After we make this decision, we will be off in pursuit of Dmitri and Finch.

    You emerge from the alleyway maze to a street where gaslight provides a little illumination–and at once spot Finch, partway down the street, back turned to you, moving with his usual catlike grace and listening hard with his head tilted.

    And behind him, a larger, bulkier form looms. Gaslight gleams off the pistol the Vlaskesar is pointing at Finch's back.

    Vote 26: You have only an instant. What do you do?

    #I draw the Vlaskesar's attention to myself and away from Finch.

    #I raise my own revolver and drop him where he stands before he can fire.

    #I scoop up a convenient chunk of brick and throw it hard. If I can smash the glass of the building opposite, Dmitri may be distracted—and will not be reflexively firing at my position.





    Get those votes in by Friday, 8 Jul, 5:30 PM, and let's save Finch's life!

    Respectfully,

    Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

    -Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

  4. - Top - End - #34
    Orc in the Playground
     
    BlueWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Sewer maze

    Default Re: Let's Play! Steampunk

    Finch! Nooooooooooooooooooo!
    23)For a moment panic rises in my throat, the handprint on Finch's face merging with the remembered handprint on Pierce's.
    24)Even knowing I have no time to waste, I spend a few precious seconds listening hard, attempting to gather additional data.

    This guy is obviously highly dangerous. We need all the info we can get.
    25)I thank him for the warning, clasp his hand in farewell, and continue my pursuit in the direction he indicated. He'll be all right until I get back.
    We are not letting this guy get away.
    26)I raise my own revolver and drop him where he stands before he can fire.
    Shooting is our secondary skill.
    Last edited by Black Socks; 2016-07-07 at 04:28 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show


    Gone like the wind.

  5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground
     
    smuchmuch's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    ??Ph??

    Default Re: Let's Play! Steampunk

    # Fury clouds my vision. So the Vlaskesar is a light-eater as well as a spy–and he had the audacity to lay hands on a friend of mine?

    #I move slowly, trusting that I am stealthy enough to avoid drawing the notice of anyone lurking within.

    #I thank him for the warning, clasp his hand in farewell, and continue my pursuit in the direction he indicated. He'll be all right until I get back.




    Shooting didn't work last time, and athletics is our weak point.
    Which is exactly why i don't think throwing a weighty object is the best solutionhere ?. And firing didn't work because Finch was directly in ur line of sigh way, which is not the case here.

    #I raise my own revolver and drop him where he stands before he can fire.
    Last edited by smuchmuch; 2016-07-07 at 12:50 PM.
    I'm sig'ing in the rain, just sig'ing in the rain....

    Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

    -

  6. - Top - End - #36
    Orc in the Playground
     
    BlueWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Sewer maze

    Default Re: Let's Play! Steampunk

    Quote Originally Posted by smuchmuch View Post
    # Fury clouds my vision. So the Vlaskesar is a light-eater as well as a spy–and he had the audacity to lay hands on a friend of mine?

    #I move slowly, trusting that I am stealthy enough to avoid drawing the notice of anyone lurking within.

    #I thank him for the warning, clasp his hand in farewell, and continue my pursuit in the direction he indicated. He'll be all right until I get back.





    Which is exactly why i don't think throwing a weighty object is the best solutionhere ?. And firing didn't work because Finch was directly in ur line of sigh way, which is not the case here.

    #I raise my own revolver and drop him where he stands before he can fire.
    Good point. I will change my vote.
    Spoiler
    Show


    Gone like the wind.

  7. - Top - End - #37
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Raleigh NC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Let's Play! Steampunk

    Okay, two votes
    panic - 87
    fury - 82

    We feel a tendril of panic.

    Next choice is to use perception or use stealth

    perception - 76
    stealth - 12

    We're going to take a moment to gather information.

    Then, having done that, we go after Dmitri and everyone agrees to shoot him.

    But ... if we brawl him we could ... punch his lights out


    Moving on.

    Quote Originally Posted by Choice By Gaslight
    For a moment panic rises in my throat, the handprint on Finch's face merging with the remembered handprint on Pierce's.

    But you can't surrender to this now. You push off the imagined screams and rumble of mechs, and stumble down the stairs to your friend.

    Finch raises his head to look at you. "…'s all right," he manages. "I'm all right. He only–touched me for a moment. It's already fading." With a grimace of attempted humor, he adds, "That bastard–look like a light-eater to you? Nor to me. We need that bloody Glass–in the worst way…" Hpushes off the wall, shaking his head to clear it. "Right. Come on. We can't let him get away."

    Conventional: 37 Unconventional: 63

    After him!

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaslight
    Neither Dmitri nor Stevenson is in sight as you burst through the front door and into the street, but the sound of their running footsteps carry clearly in the frosty night air. You and Finch pause a moment, listening. The footsteps come from dead ahead as the crow flies, but the most direct route is blocked by a building.

    Finch goes right, you go left. As you approach the left-hand alleyway, the footsteps somewhere in front of you fade…still without telling you exactly where they were.


    You pause in the blackness of the alleyway and strain your ears for sounds that would indicate another presence here with you. If the Vlaskesar has planned an ambush, you will not be so foolish as to stumble into it.

    Nothing.

    You ease forward a few steps and listen again.

    From up ahead, you hear a sigh and a shuffle—the shifting of position of someone who has no idea you are in here with him.

    Revolver in hand, you continue silently toward the sound…and all at once unshutter your lantern.

    It is Stevenson.
    So , no stat change for this course of action, but we have found Stevenson.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaslight
    Stevenson's face is paper-white, and he sits on the filthy cobblestones, sagging against the brick wall as though he hasn't the energy to hold himself upright. His shirt has been torn open, and the handprint is branded on his chest—not that you needed the confirmation; he is displaying all the symptoms of a man drained dangerously close to death by a light-eater.

    "I'm all right," he insists in a voice no louder than a whisper. "Leave me here and go after him–he went that way. Just be warned. He got my pistol away from me."

    I thank him for the warning, clasp his hand in farewell, and continue my pursuit in the direction he indicated. He'll be all right until I get back.

    And even if he is not, the Vlaskesar has to be captured…while there is still an operative left standing to do it. It's a cold decision, but necessary. Your ability to keep your focus on your missions is one of the things Woodward values most about you.
    Compassionate: 44 Pragmatic: 56
    Woodward Relationship:+


    Quote Originally Posted by Gaslight
    You emerge from the alleyway maze to a street where gaslight provides a little illumination–and at once spot Finch, partway down the street, back turned to you, moving with his usual catlike grace and listening hard with his head tilted.

    And behind him, a larger, bulkier form looms. Gaslight gleams off the pistol the Vlaskesar is pointing at Finch's back.
    I raise my own revolver and drop him where he stands before he can fire.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaslight
    A ruthless and eminently practical decision.

    The panic you felt earlier snaps out of existence like a pricked bubble. You take the one step that puts you directly behind your Empire's enemy. Your hands are rock steady as you aim the revolver.

    Light-eater filth will never have the run of Kingsford. Not while you're there to defend it.
    Compassionate: 38 Pragmatic: 62
    Marksmanship: 71


    Quote Originally Posted by Gaslight
    Your shot pierces the quiet night, the Vlaskesar drops like a stone, and Finch whirls around.

    Neither of you hesitate, he sprinting toward the body from one direction as you pound toward it from the other. By the time you reach him, he has kicked the Vlaskesar's pistol aside and is standing over the prone body with his own weapon drawn. You drop to your knees to check for a pulse, though from the look of the chest and the blood, there is hardly any point.

    "Dead? Good." Finch looks shaken. "That was—damned fine shooting. Stupid of me to let him get so close." His hand drops to your shoulder. "Lucky you had my back."
    *Phew* That's one problem solved.


    Quote Originally Posted by Choice By Gaslight
    I don't know…how happy Woodward will be," Stevenson says, as you and Finch carry him back to the empty house. "He said…'alive if possible.'"

    "'Alive if possible, dead if necessary,'" Finch corrects coolly. "It was necessary. I think Woodward will be pleased enough."

    And he is. The final remaining step is to recover the copy the Vlaskesar made of the plans, but this is a task better suited to the skills of the Empire's official forces than to Woodward's irregulars. The official forces work backward from the Underground ticket in the Vlaskesar's pocket to compile a list of likely boarding houses, and they are breaking down doors before the sun rises. They find the correct house; they search the dead man's room; they pull from beneath a floorboard the copy of the Nigel-Trevelyan Plans; and the copy proves to contain only the Vlaskesar's fingerprints. Doubtless the dead spy was working as a member of a team, but equally obviously, he had no chance to pass his acquisition up his chain of command before he died.

    So efficient are Her Imperial Majesty's investigative forces that Woodward receives the good news while you and Finch are still completing your debriefing in his office.

    Shortly afterward comes the news that Morris, brought to the nearest hospital, has been pronounced out of danger. Stevenson, though fearfully weak, is likewise expected to make a full recovery.

    "So all's well," Finch says.

    "For today," Woodward returns dryly, but he cracks a slight smile. "Yes, it's a good day."
    So... all's well that end's well for the moment?

    The city is just waking as you and Finch rattle your way home in a hansom, the gaslit dusk brightening into a frosty winter dawn. The day promises to be very cold, but inside are eggs and bacon and coffee and a roaring fire.

    "'A good day,'" Finch echoes Woodward's words. "Well, that's one word for it. We recovered the plans, we checkmated the plot, we prevented one Vlaskesar from ever again plying his filthy trade on Mercian soil, we ensured the Nigel-Trevelyan Glass will one day allow us to see the light-eaters that slink among us, and we didn't lose a single man's life in the process. And it's only eight o'clock in the morning. Whatever would Kingsford do without the pair of us, Watson?"

    That night, you sleep just fine.
    And with that it is on to...

    Chapter 2: The Adventure of Her Majesty's Dirigible
    Some time later...

    You come into the sitting room one morning in early spring to find Finch halfway to the door, drinking a cup of tea with one hand and grabbing for his hat with the other.

    "Something of interest?" you ask.

    "Not for Woodward." He deposits the mostly-empty teacup on the bookshelf, thankfully without spilling it. "Day job. If I don't catch the eight-thirty train, I won't make it to Farnchester in time to cover the opening of a new school by a member of the Royal Family. No, I can't believe I was assigned it either; my editor has a vicious sense of humor. But at least it pays my share of the rent." He grabs his camera equipment and heads for the door. "You may find something of interest in the post, however."

    And indeed you do. Beside your plate at the breakfast table lies a heavy cream-colored envelope with Doctor John Watson emblazoned across it in fine calligraphy. Wondering what in the world it can be, you slit it open.

    YOU ARE INVITED
    to attend the maiden launch
    of Her Imperial Majesty's newest dirigible
    the luxury liner HMS COLOSSUS
    which will leave the Baincastle airfields
    at NOON on Midsummer's Day
    and proceed to Loegria
    offering wondrous and unequalled views
    of land and sea
    as well as diverse refreshments
    and entertainments for those aboard
    and returning to Kingsford
    by EIGHT o'clock in the evening–
    a voyage of unsurpassed speed and luxury!


    Also within the envelope is a note in Woodward's hand: "For services rendered. The maiden voyage is open to both invited dignitaries and 'persons of all persuasions' who entered a lottery drawing offered by The Times. You and Finch are among the former, but for the sake of our security, pretend you're among the latter. –AW."
    Well, it appears that being a spy has some perks in addition to being shot at.

    Quote Originally Posted by Choice By Gaslight
    You chuck Woodward's note into the fire–for the sake of security–and it has barely collapsed into ash before your landlady Mrs. Larrimer enters with your breakfast.

    She smiles at the invitation in your hand. "Mr. Finch told me the news as he went down the stairs–he won two tickets through that lottery! Or maybe his editor arranged for him to win them, but we won't tell anyone that." She winks at you as she lays dishes on the table. "How nice for the both of you, Doctor! A grand party–dancing and fine wine, I shouldn't wonder!–and the view from above the clouds! Not that I'd fancy that last myself, I always get dizzy up high, but it's fine for those with strong heads. And think of all the new people you'll meet! Some of them young ladies, I shouldn't wonder. I always think it's so hard to meet people in Kingsford–so many of us, but we keep to ourselves. When I was a girl, we used to have assemblies, dances, you know, in the village hall, and that was how I met my late husband. Nowadays, only the finest lords and ladies do such things, and as for everyone else–you meet your family's friends, I suppose, but what if you've no family?" To that, you have no answer; Mrs. Larrimer has indeed put her finger on one of the drawbacks of modern urban life. She concludes with genuine warmth, "I do hope you meet a nice girl there, Doctor."

    She concludes with genuine warmth, "I do hope you meet a nice girl there, Doctor."

    Vote 27:

    # As she describes it, I'm starting to hope the same thing.

    # She doesn't know I prefer men.

    #A nice girl or a nice young man, either would be fine.


    So now we decide whether our character is hetero, homo, or bi. This will impact what romantic options are available, should we decide to be married to something other than our job.

    Quote Originally Posted by Choice By Gaslight
    On Midsummer's Day, you and Finch arrive at the aerodrome well before the noon departure time.

    Morning sun floods through the aerodrome's huge windows and glistens on the marble floor. Exquisitely carved pillars rise to twice your height; the domed ceiling arches much higher. The splendor of this monument to technology dwarfs even the famous Puternic Soare Sun Temple in Vlask (not that you have seen that immense edifice yourself, but you know it from paintings).

    Amidst all this grandeur, the guests of Colossus's maiden voyage wander in and out of the sunbeams, refreshing themselves with tea and biscuits as they wait for the call to board.

    Vote 28:

    #The invited dignitaries are no doubt accustomed to so grand a setting, but I have to believe the lottery winners feel as out of place as I do.

    #During my time in Woodward's service, I have become accustomed to blending into whatever social group I must in order to get my job done. I can handle this.

    #It's not something I tend to reveal often, but I love elegant nonsense of this sort.



    Quote Originally Posted by Choice By Gaslight
    Everyone is garbed more or less the same–summer afternoon dresses and hats for the ladies; light-colored suits for the gentlemen, except for those like yourself who wear military dress uniform–but there is a significant range of quality in materials and tailoring. As you walk toward the tea table, Finch keeps you entertained by describing, sotto voce, the likely occupations of all the people you pass. "That young lady there is a typist. You can always tell a typist by the length of her nails and the creases in her sleeve. The man behind her is either a farmer or a factory worker–I'd have to be nearer to tell for certain–the pattern of callouses on the palm is different, though the musculature is about the same."

    At this point you notice a young woman standing a little apart from the crowd, watching the multicolored swirl eddy by. She isn't exactly pretty, but you consider her pleasant to look at, with an interesting face. She has brown hair and is dressed in beige–a self-effacing color with only the barest suspicion of decoration on the gown or feather on the hat. She stands straight, without fidgeting, and with her chin up, but her left hand is holding her reticule very tightly indeed.

    "Governess," Finch says. "Here without an escort, and feeling rather out of it."

    Vote 29: Do you go over and make her acquaintance?


    #Yes, of course, as an act of charity. I feel sorry for the poor girl, being here all alone.

    #Yes, I find myself very much wanting to get to know her better. Maybe she's not a blazing beauty, but there's something about her…

    #No. She's not the type to interest me.

    #No. I would definitely like to get to know her, but it wouldn't be appropriate for me to just approach her with no one to introduce us.




    The vote is the same regardless of your actual orientation. Recall that this is the Victorian era, and men with , shall we say, peculiar tastes do not advertise them. Especially not when Watson is already plenty unconventional as it is.

    Let's have the votes in by Monday, July 11, 5:30 PM and we'll see how things proceed. A nice peaceful cruise over the clouds ... yeah right.

    Respectfully,

    Brian P.
    Last edited by pendell; 2016-07-08 at 04:50 PM.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

    -Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

  8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground
     
    BlueWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Sewer maze

    Default Re: Let's Play! Steampunk

    27) As she describes it, I'm starting to hope the same thing.
    We went a whole prologue and chapter without setting our orientation.
    28)During my time in Woodward's service, I have become accustomed to blending into whatever social group I must in order to get my job done. I can handle this.
    We got da charisma and da unconventionality.
    29)Yes, I find myself very much wanting to get to know her better. Maybe she's not a blazing beauty, but there's something about her…
    Screw etiquette, let's have some romance!
    Also: This girl sounds like she's kind of distracted, like she has her.... head in the clouds
    And why not go full unconventional? It's not like balanced stats are going to get us anywhere....
    Last edited by Black Socks; 2016-07-08 at 05:42 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show


    Gone like the wind.

  9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground
     
    smuchmuch's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    ??Ph??

    Default Re: Let's Play! Steampunk

    This vote doesn't really interest me so I'll just go with Black Socks' answers
    I'm sig'ing in the rain, just sig'ing in the rain....

    Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

    -

  10. - Top - End - #40
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Raleigh NC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Let's Play! Steampunk

    Well, I'm sorry this vote wasn't ... a ray of sunshine in your day.

    Well, at least one vote makes it easy!

    27) As she describes it, I'm starting to hope the same thing.

    28)During my time in Woodward's service, I have become accustomed to blending into whatever

    29)Yes, I find myself very much wanting to get to know her better. Maybe she's not a blazing beauty, but there's something about her…

    Let's apply the votes!

    As she describes it, I also hope to find a nice girl.

    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunk
    She sees you smile, and dimples in response. "Good luck," she says, and leaves you to enjoy your breakfast.
    Ah, there's some interesting things if you'd chosen one of the other options.

    Spoiler: The Gay Road Less Travelled
    Show

    Of course she doesn't; it would be as much as your career is worth to have that secret get out. It's not something to be discussed in polite company.

    Finch does know, but that's in no small part because Finch shares your preferences. There are discreet places for gentlemen of your tastes to congregate, some of them in nastier parts of town than others. You and Finch have been known to watch each other's backs now and then when on excursions to the more dubious locales.

    And some of your Army colleagues suspected as well. (But there are fewer rules out on the edges
    of the Empire. What would have gotten you cashiered in Kingsford was winked at on the front.)
    In particular, there were rumors circulating about you and Pierce for a time.

    Were they true?

    #No, as it happens, those were just rumors. It's possible to be good friends with someone and
    not want to sleep with him.

    #Yes, we had a wartime love affair, but it's over now. [if he lived]
    #Yes, but that hardly matters now, years after his death. [if he died]





    You're not likely to find out that little fact on the main path. Discretion is the watchword in this society!

    So, onto the aerodrome.

    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunk
    On Midsummer's Day, you and Finch arrive at the aerodrome well before the noon departure time.

    Morning sun floods through the aerodrome's huge windows and glistens on the marble floor. Exquisitely carved pillars rise to twice your height; the domed ceiling arches much higher. The splendor of this monument to technology dwarfs even the famous Puternic Soare Sun Temple in Vlask (not that you have seen that immense edifice yourself, but you know it from paintings).

    Amidst all this grandeur, the guests of Colossus's maiden voyage wander in and out of the sunbeams, refreshing themselves with tea and biscuits as they wait for the call to board.
    During my time in Woodward's service, I have become accustomed to blending into whatever social group I must in order to get my job done. I can handle this.

    Charisma: 83

    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunk
    Everyone is garbed more or less the same–summer afternoon dresses and hats for the ladies; light-colored suits for the gentlemen, except for those like yourself who wear military dress uniform–but there is a significant range of quality in materials and tailoring. As you walk toward the tea table, Finch keeps you entertained by describing, sotto voce, the likely occupations of all the people you pass. "That young lady there is a typist. You can always tell a typist by the length of her nails and the creases in her sleeve. The man behind her is either a farmer or a factory worker–I'd have to be nearer to tell for certain–the pattern of callouses on the palm is different, though the musculature is about the same."

    At this point you notice a young woman standing a little apart from the crowd, watching the multicolored swirl eddy by. She isn't exactly pretty, but you consider her pleasant to look at, with an interesting face. She has brown hair and is dressed in beige–a self-effacing color with only the barest suspicion of decoration on the gown or feather on the hat. She stands straight, without fidgeting, and with her chin up, but her left hand is holding her reticule very tightly indeed.

    "Governess," Finch says. "Here without an escort, and feeling rather out of it."

    Do you go over and make her acquaintance?
    Yes, I find myself very much wanting to get to know her better. Maybe she's not a blazing beauty, but there's something about her…

    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunk
    You secure two cups of tea from the table and edge your way over to the governess. "Excuse me," you say, and she turns with a little start. "Er–I hope I do not impose, but I thought you might–?" You offer one of the teacups to her.

    Her face relaxes into a smile, and she takes the cup. "Why, thank you…" Her eyes go to your collar. "…Captain." She sees your surprise and adds in explanation, "My father was military."

    "I'm retired now," you say. "It's 'Doctor.' John Watson, at your service."

    "Grace Chandler," she says. "It is a pleasure to meet you, sir."

    You learn she is indeed a governess, and that she acquired the position upon her father's death some years ago, her mother being many years deceased. From there, you talk a little about your military service and hear about her childhood following the flag as her father's posts transferred the family here and there about the Empire.

    Time goes so quickly that you are quite startled to hear the steward's voice boom through the crowd, informing you all that you may now board the dirigible.

    You take Miss Chandler's cup and set both of them aside for the serving staff to clear away.

    Vote 30: Do you offer her your arm as the two of you make your way to the boarding ramp?

    # Yes.
    # No, I don't wish to.
    # No. I'd like to, but I think that would be too bold.


    After we make that decision we proceed aboard the airship.

    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunk
    As you reach the boarding plank, the ebb and flow of the crowd brings Finch quite close to you, and you introduce him to Miss Chandler and vice versa.

    The boarding ramp reminds you of the sort that belongs to a seaship, even swaying and creaking in the same disconcerting manner. The interior of the dirigible, however, could not be more different. You have never been inside a house of such magnificence, let alone a conveyance. Anything that isn't polished dark wood is covered with rich red velvet. The steward ushers you all into a room large enough to hold a village assembly. All two hundred guests fit into it easily.

    You make your way with everyone else over to the floor-to-ceiling windows that look out onto the Observation Deck, and are soon treated to the breathtaking sight of the ground dropping smoothly away. Kingsford's factories and water wheels dwindle to the size of child's toys. Soon even the chimney stacks are far below. The dirigible floats higher yet, actually passing above the fog that drapes the city, into clear air that might belong to the countryside. Now the heavy yellow-brown cloud shrouds the world below from your sight, but at that moment, a dance tune is struck up behind you.
    Dancing! Does that mean a chance to ask Grace ...?

    You didn't even see the musicians enter, but there they are, set up in the corner–just like a village assembly, again, or a tea-dance such as the gentry might attend. There is a refreshment table in the other corner, for when refreshments might be desired. The musicians are playing a waltz, and the steward encourages everyone inclined to go and dance. You will never see a sight like this again–the lords and ladies of the Empire on the same dance floor as common laborers and country farmers.

    You notice Miss Chandler's somewhat wistful face as she watches the dancing. The fingers holding her reticule are moving very slightly in time with the music.

    Vote 31: Do you ask her to dance?

    #No.

    #Yes.

    #I swallow a stiff whiskey—liquid courage—and then go ask her.




    Regrettably, I think we must stop there because the story branches depending on whether or not we dance with Grace. I imagine smuchmuch is bored to tears by now, but cheer up! I sense dark storm clouds on the horizon.

    Votes in by Wednesday, 13 July, 2016, 5:30PM.

    Respectfully,

    Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

    -Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

  11. - Top - End - #41
    Orc in the Playground
     
    BlueWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Sewer maze

    Default Re: Let's Play! Steampunk

    Looks like I'm taking over the reins on this romance thing. Don't worry smuchmuch, some action is coming up.
    30)No. I'd like to, but I think that would be too bold.
    31)Yes.
    Last edited by Black Socks; 2016-07-12 at 07:00 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show


    Gone like the wind.

  12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground
     
    smuchmuch's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    ??Ph??

    Default Re: Let's Play! Steampunk

    I imagine smuchmuch is bored to tears by now
    Hardly, I alway enjoy downtime, a time for a charater to be themselves and devellop and show us their personality in 'normal' circumstances, weither it'd be romance, discussion, etc...
    I just have no particular opinions as to Watson sexual preferences and romance options. I can go either way.
    I'm sig'ing in the rain, just sig'ing in the rain....

    Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

    -

  13. - Top - End - #43
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Let's Play! Steampunk

    Jeez, how did I miss this?

    Another excellent choice, this steampunk gem (while its absolutely a series of Sherlock tales re-imagined,) it's pretty great, and has a lot of diversity in the endings. I've been meaning to read/play it. Now I can! Anyway, for the vote:
    Yes.

    We have good charisma, we may as well use it.

    Yes

    Same thought process for the second vote.

  14. - Top - End - #44
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Raleigh NC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Let's Play! Steampunk

    Quote Originally Posted by Smuchmuch
    Hardly, I alway enjoy downtime, a time for a charater to be themselves and devellop and show us their personality in 'normal' circumstances, weither it'd be romance, discussion, etc...
    Cool. It's not always easy to judge silence, especially on a screen!

    Welcome, norman250! Glad to have you back.

    So, our votes are

    30)
    Too bold - 13
    yes - 65

    A good thing, too. "Too bold" would have carried a charisma penalty -- you get points in that score for bluffing through things, and lose them for "knowing your place!"

    31) Yes, we ask her to dance.

    So .. first we offer her our arm.

    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunk
    She takes it, looking pleased. As you reach the boarding plank, the ebb and flow of the crowd brings Finch quite close to you, and you introduce him to Miss Chandler and vice versa.

    The boarding ramp reminds you of the sort that belongs to a seaship, even swaying and creaking in the same disconcerting manner. The interior of the dirigible, however, could not be more different. You have never been inside a house of such magnificence, let alone a conveyance. Anything that isn't polished dark wood is covered with rich red velvet. The steward ushers you all into a room large enough to hold a village assembly. All two hundred guests fit into it easily.

    You make your way with everyone else over to the floor-to-ceiling windows that look out onto the Observation Deck, and are soon treated to the breathtaking sight of the ground dropping smoothly away. Kingsford's factories and water wheels dwindle to the size of child's toys. Soon even the chimney stacks are far below. The dirigible floats higher yet, actually passing above the fog that drapes the city, into clear air that might belong to the countryside. Now the heavy yellow-brown cloud shrouds the world below from your sight, but at that moment, a dance tune is struck up behind you.
    She took our arm. So.. .first base? Let's ask her to dance.

    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunk
    You didn't even see the musicians enter, but there they are, set up in the corner–just like a village assembly, again, or a tea-dance such as the gentry might attend. There is a refreshment table in the other corner, for when refreshments might be desired. The musicians are playing a waltz, and the steward encourages everyone inclined to go and dance. You will never see a sight like this again–the lords and ladies of the Empire on the same dance floor as common laborers and country farmers.

    You notice Miss Chandler's somewhat wistful face as she watches the dancing. The fingers holding her reticule are moving very slightly in time with the music.

    A delighted smile flashes over her face. "Oh, yes! Yes, thank you!"

    It seems Miss Chandler loves to dance.

    "I attended two or three officers' balls before my father's death," she explains as you lead her to the dance floor. "I never have the opportunity nowadays, but I did love it so when I was a girl."

    The musicians strike up another waltz, and you take Miss Chandler into your arms. It has been a good few years since your own officers' balls, but you trust you can still remember the steps.

    Indeed, you can remember them. The problem is, your injured leg is no longer able to execute them. You stumble a little, and then you stumble badly, knee buckling, pulling Miss Chandler off balance. You are only barely able to keep the both of you upright, and your leg throbs sharply with the effort.
    D'oh! We forgot about the injured leg!


    Vote 32:
    She looks at you suspiciously, as though wondering if that were a ploy to make her collapse into your arms.

    #I'm not saying I'm above it, but that wasn't what I was doing this time.

    #An officer might play that sort of game with a barmaid, but a gentleman does not so insult a lady.

    #I personally have never employed such a cheap tactic even with a barmaid; it would be inappropriate and unkind. I am certainly not doing it now.

    #There is no conceivable circumstance in which I would deliberately draw attention to my weak leg. Especially not when I am trying to impress a young lady.


    So ... now that we have the reaction, we have to deal with this somehow.


    Vote 33: How are you going to handle this?

    #I profusely apologize, explaining about the leg in a few words.

    #I make a self-deprecating joke about being a terrible dancer.

    #I am so angry at myself for ruining this opportunity that I don't clearly know what I say.



    After we decide what to do about it, we break up and the journey continues.

    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunk
    The afternoon wears away. The dirigible circles the coast of Loegria, looking down from a hunting bird's height on the green and quiet island. Despite being so close to Mercia, Loegria is infamous as being one of its most backward possessions.


    Vote 34: Two competing theories vie for prominence whenever the subject of Loegria's unsophistication comes up in the newspapers. To which one do you subscribe?


    #It's the fault of the still-flourishing sun-worship that plagues the island. Strangled by it, the Loegrian people have no interest in mastering technology.

    #Loegria's history of armed rebellion makes it an unattractive place, from the point of view of business owners, to build factories.

    #As a medical man, I think both theories overlook an important factor. The severe famine two generations ago is still impacting the country's ability to function.


    #Honestly, I never give it much thought. The lack of industry does have a silver lining, though–no black smoke clouds the sky, and I can clearly see the green hills and fields stretching below.

    #It almost doesn't matter how it started; the problem is self-perpetuating now. The Loegrian maidservants and grooms I have encountered in Kingsford talk of leaving home because there is simply no work.



    Note: If you choose the last option, ("The maidservants and grooms I have encountered talk..") you will be immediately hit with a followup question.


    Vote 34A (if the last option is chosen):
    You chat with maidservants and grooms? That's unusual for a gentleman of your class.

    #I find these notions of class wearisome. They are people with virtues and faults and interesting stories to tell, so of course I get to know them.

    #I find these notions of class wearisome. Sometimes I deliberately befriend those I should not, just for the pleasure of shocking the conventional.

    #It's strictly for business reasons. Maidservants and grooms are founts of information very useful to a man in my profession.




    After we have pondered the problems of Loegria, the story continues:

    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunk
    Leaving the island behind, Colossus begins the voyage home. The dancing has stopped, the guests being more interested in refreshments at the current time, but two violinists and a cellist play a soft and elegant piece.

    Then the horrible sound of squealing metal pierces your ears, and the dirigible lurches violently.

    One side of the room drops like a suddenly-unbalanced teeter-totter, dishes and furniture and screaming people sliding down the incline. The deck starts to straighten–then plunges hard again, the angle even steeper than before. You fall hard, striking your head on something, and you only just manage to grab hold of a pillar and stop yourself sliding.
    Uh-oh. The vessel is in serious trouble!

    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunk
    You stagger to your feet, head aching and old injury throbbing, clinging to the pillar for balance. You are looking down the sharp angle of the once-luxurious dance floor.

    At the bottom of the incline, a tangle of hurt and frightened people are pinned by broken furniture and smashed musical instruments. Above them, other hurt and frightened people struggle up the slope, making blindly for the doors behind you that lead to the Observation Deck. Through the glass doors at the bottom of the incline, a few figures in uniform try ineffectually to calm the panicking passengers there. Behind you, the steward is bellowing, but cannot make himself heard.

    You cannot see Miss Chandler anywhere.
    This is bad. Very bad.

    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunk
    Far below, you see a familiar figure kick free of the pile of injured people, drag himself to his feet, and look around. As soon as his eyes meet yours and he sees you are reasonably unhurt, Finch starts pushing his way toward the double doors and the downward staircase. At a guess, he is heading for the engine room–a logical place to look for the cause of this disaster.


    Vote 35: What are you going to do?

    #I immediately start struggling down the incline to the people at the bottom. We've got to get them freed from the wreckage and the hurt ones treated.

    #The injured are only part of the problem. There are a number of things we need to do, without delay, and none of the dirigible officers seem capable of taking command of the situation. I raise my voice to be heard above the bedlam of terrified civilians.

    #The ship's officers are drilled in procedures for accidents of this kind, and it is not my place to speak for them. I immediately begin to work my way down the incline and through the double doors, following Finch in his attempt to find the source of the problem.



    The story branches depending on your choice, so we will stop there for now.

    Bear in mind there is an achievement if no lives are lost in this disaster. That requires more than just keeping the airship from crashing -- it also requires keeping the passengers calm. Otherwise they may panic and people will be killed in the rush even if , by some miracle, the airship doesn't perish.

    Of course, if the ship crashes we're ALL dead anyway.

    Have your votes in by Friday, 13 Jul 2016, 5:30 PM . See you then! And grab a life jacket!

    Respectfully,

    Brian P.
    Last edited by pendell; 2016-07-13 at 07:09 PM.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

    -Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

  15. - Top - End - #45
    Orc in the Playground
     
    BlueWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Sewer maze

    Default Re: Let's Play! Steampunk

    Knowing our place gives a charisma penalty? Good to know....
    32)I personally have never employed such a cheap tactic even with a barmaid; it would be inappropriate and unkind. I am certainly not doing it now.
    Stupid injured leg....
    33)I profusely apologize, explaining about the leg in a few words.
    Honesty is the best policy.
    34)As a medical man, I think both theories overlook an important factor. The severe famine two generations ago is still impacting the country's ability to function.
    You skipped 33, labeling the second vote as #34.... Also, this place sounds a lot like Ireland... potato famine, anyone?
    35)The ship's officers are drilled in procedures for accidents of this kind, and it is not my place to speak for them. I immediately begin to work my way down the incline and through the double doors, following Finch in his attempt to find the source of the problem.
    This must be sabotage. No way it's just a machine error. Getting the ship functioning is more important- like pendell said, if it crashes we all die.
    We saved a McGuffin, now let's save an airship (and our potential love)!
    Last edited by Black Socks; 2016-07-13 at 07:10 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show


    Gone like the wind.

  16. - Top - End - #46
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Raleigh NC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Let's Play! Steampunk

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Socks
    You skipped 33, labeling the second vote as #34.... Also, this place sounds a lot like Ireland... potato famine, anyone?
    Ah, Black Socks, I love your enthuisiasm!

    In any event, I noticed that as well and have corrected it.

    Respectfully,

    Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

    -Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

  17. - Top - End - #47
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Let's Play! Steampunk

    32)I personally have never employed such a cheap tactic even with a barmaid; it would be inappropriate and unkind. I am certainly not doing it now.

    33)I profusely apologize, explaining about the leg in a few words.

    Watson's an injured veteran who was wounded saving a fellow countrymen from a prison, not running away or doing anything in bad taste, there's no shame in that.

    34)As a medical man, I think both theories overlook an important factor. The severe famine two generations ago is still impacting the country's ability to function.

    Once again, I concur with Black Socks. We are a doctor, after all.

    35)The injured are only part of the problem. There are a number of things we need to do, without delay, and none of the dirigible officers seem capable of taking command of the situation. I raise my voice to be heard above the bedlam of terrified civilians.

    We have good charisma, let's see if we can spare a moment trying to calm the panic.

  18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground
     
    BlueWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Sewer maze

    Default Re: Let's Play! Steampunk

    I will be away on vacation until the 24th. Don't ruin Watson's shot at love while I'm gone
    Spoiler
    Show


    Gone like the wind.

  19. - Top - End - #49
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Let's Play! Steampunk

    Oh, I won't... *maniacal laughter*

  20. - Top - End - #50
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Raleigh NC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Let's Play! Steampunk

    Oh dear, there seem to be storm clouds on the horizon for Watson's love life .

    So, the votes are:

    32)I personally have never employed such a cheap tactic even with a barmaid; it would be inappropriate and unkind. I am certainly not doing it now.

    33)I profusely apologize, explaining about the leg in a few words.


    34)As a medical man, I think both theories overlook an important factor. The severe famine two generations ago is still impacting the country's ability to function.

    Roll off:

    35)The ship's officers are drilled in procedures for accidents of this kind, and it is not my place to speak for them. I immediately begin to work my way down the incline and through the double doors, following Finch in his attempt to find the source of the problem.
    Random = 62

    35)The injured are only part of the problem. There are a number of things we need to do, without delay, and none of the dirigible officers seem capable of taking command of the situation. I raise my voice to be heard above the bedlam of terrified civilians.
    Random = 36

    So we're going to follow Finch down into the bowels of the airship.

    At any rate:

    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunk
    I personally have never employed such a cheap tactic even with a barmaid; it would be inappropriate and unkind. I am certainly not doing it now.
    Compassionate: 50 [Pragmatic: 50
    Conventional: 30 Unconventional: 70

    Next, we apologize.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunk
    "Oh, no, no," Miss Chandler says at once. "I'm sure it's at least half my fault–it's been such an age since I was anywhere near a dance floor. It's very good of you to take all the blame like that. And…and I've never really cared for waltzes anyhow. I'd much rather watch." She gives you a shy sort of smile. "Perhaps you wouldn't mind keeping me company?"

    You smile back, and the two of you watch the waltzing. Later, you try a country dance, and that goes much better.
    No stat change. Very well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunk
    The afternoon wears away. The dirigible circles the coast of Loegria, looking down from a hunting bird's height on the green and quiet island. Despite being so close to Mercia, Loegria is infamous as being one of its most backward possessions.

    Two competing theories vie for prominence whenever the subject of Loegria's unsophistication comes up in the newspapers. To which one do you subscribe?

    As a medical man, I think both theories overlook an important factor. The severe famine two generations ago is still impacting the country's ability to function.
    Response:

    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunk
    An insightful point. Not many realize this, but then, not many have been trained to think like a physician.
    Medicine: 61

    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunk
    Leaving the island behind, Colossus begins the voyage home. The dancing has stopped, the guests being more interested in refreshments at the current time, but two violinists and a cellist play a soft and elegant piece.

    Then the horrible sound of squealing metal pierces your ears, and the dirigible lurches violently.

    One side of the room drops like a suddenly-unbalanced teeter-totter, dishes and furniture and screaming people sliding down the incline. The deck starts to straighten–then plunges hard again, the angle even steeper than before. You fall hard, striking your head on something, and you only just manage to grab hold of a pillar and stop yourself sliding.

    You stagger to your feet, head aching and old injury throbbing, clinging to the pillar for balance. You are looking down the sharp angle of the once-luxurious dance floor.

    At the bottom of the incline, a tangle of hurt and frightened people are pinned by broken furniture and smashed musical instruments. Above them, other hurt and frightened people struggle up the slope, making blindly for the doors behind you that lead to the Observation Deck. Through the glass doors at the bottom of the incline, a few figures in uniform try ineffectually to calm the panicking passengers there. Behind you, the steward is bellowing, but cannot make himself heard. You cannot see Miss Chandler anywhere.

    Far below, you see a familiar figure kick free of the pile of injured people, drag himself to his feet, and look around. As soon as his eyes meet yours and he sees you are reasonably unhurt, Finch starts pushing his way toward the double doors and the downward staircase. At a guess, he is heading for the engine room–a logical place to look for the cause of this disaster.
    We chase after Finch!

    Quote Originally Posted by Us
    The ship's officers are drilled in procedures for accidents of this kind, and it is not my place to speak for them. I immediately begin to work my way down the incline and through the double doors, following Finch in his attempt to find the source of the problem.
    And ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunk
    The stairway is crowded with panicked people trying to get below–to collect lifejackets, at a guess–and panicked people trying to get up to the top deck from which the parachute-lifeboats will be launched. A wide-eyed older woman grabs at your arm, perhaps confusing your Army dress uniform with the uniform of the dirigible crew. "What are we to do? Tell me what to do!"


    Vote 36:

    1 # I haven't time to spend soothing her. I have to get below.

    2#I try to pause long enough to answer, because she deserves kindness, but I dare not stay too long. I have to get to the engine room.

    3# I stop and give her my full attention. Of course she is panicking. The officers of the ship should be doing more to calm her, but they are not.

    4# I stop and devote my full attention to soothing her. Her panic could further agitate the crowd, and a greater level of panic is the last thing we need.


    There is a follow up question as well


    Vote 36A:

    How do you brush her off / soothe her?

    #[only available if 1# selected above] I say nothing and push on by.

    #"Stay calm, madam. This is frightening, but I'm sure we're in no real danger. Do what the stewards tell you, and all should be well."

    #"You'd better get up to the top deck, as quick as you can. They'll be launching the parachute-lifeboats from there."

    #"I'm afraid I'm only a passenger like you–you'll have to ask the steward."



    So now that we've dealt with the frightened passenger, let's hustle to the engine room!

    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunk
    When you reach the engine room, you find a small group including Finch and the ship's captain, Royce, clustered around the limp form of the ship's engineer, who is bleeding profusely from the scalp.

    Upon examination, you discover that the injury seems to be two separate wounds. One is minor–would have caused unconsciousness, but not severe injury–but the other is serious indeed.

    "I don't think this could have been caused by falling," you say slowly. "I think someone hit him from behind with a length of pipe or something similar."
    Uh-oh. Assault. Sabotage!

    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunk
    "Will his memory be affected?" Captain Royce asks.

    "There's no way to tell until he wakes up."

    "Can you hurry that along, Doctor?" says the captain. "We badly need to talk with him."

    You have an abbreviated medical kit tucked into your pocket, and it does in fact contain a small amount of a stimulant.
    Vote 37:
    #"I could," you say briskly, and pull out the syringe. The medical risks don't trouble me.
    #"I could," you say slowly, "but the risk to his health makes it extremely inadvisable."
    #"It is technically possible, but I won't do it. It will cause him too much harm."


    If you choose any option save the first, we're going to have a quick dialog on this ethical dilemma.

    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunk
    "Sir, I understand your medical scruples," the captain says, "but we're in dire straits here."

    Finch moves aside so you have a clear view of the gaping-open panel behind his head. Something has been ripped out of it, leaving wires and cables dangling.

    "This was no malfunction, sir," Royce says. "This was sabotage. Someone has carried off the regulator–and the engineer is the only one who might have any idea who."
    Now that we've had that little discussion we must make our final choice.


    Vote 37A:

    #More lives are at risk than the engineer's alone. I prepare the injection.

    #I am a doctor. I cannot kill this man with a stimulant for the slim chance he may know something. I lock eyes with the captain and refuse.


    They can't force you to make the injection. If you refuse they'll have to think of something else, and fast. Of course, if the engineer was hit from behind it may be he won't know anything anyway, and we'll waste precious seconds trying to wake him.

    I have to stop here because the story branches depending on whether the engineer is injected or not.

    So I'll see you Monday, 18 Jul, 5:30PM . And happy vacation to those of you taking it! May you have fair winds, following seas ... and sunny skies.

    Respectfully,

    Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

    -Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

  21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground
     
    smuchmuch's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    ??Ph??

    Default Re: Let's Play! Steampunk

    2#I try to pause long enough to answer, because she deserves kindness, but I dare not stay too long. I have to get to the engine room.

    That woman causing a panic wouldn't help.

    #"Stay calm, madam. This is frightening, but I'm sure we're in no real danger. Do what the stewards tell you, and all should be well."

    We should have the charisma to sell that.

    #"I could," you say slowly, "but the risk to his health makes it extremely inadvisable."

    I'm .. really not sure for the next part.
    Tbh, it's not the risk to the engineer I'mworrying bout so much (I mean it's true, such a thing can cause some brain damage but unless we give him a horse's dose, it's unlikely we'd kill or cripple him for good) and besides the situation warrants it, it's more loosing time if he knows nothing.

    ... On the other hand it's not like we have a better lead.

    ...

    #More lives are at risk than the engineer's alone. I prepare the injection.

    Alea jacta est.
    I'm sig'ing in the rain, just sig'ing in the rain....

    Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

    -

  22. - Top - End - #52
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Let's Play! Steampunk

    2#I try to pause long enough to answer, because she deserves kindness, but I dare not stay too long. I have to get to the engine room.

    Same logic as smuchmuch

    #"Stay calm, madam. This is frightening, but I'm sure we're in no real danger. Do what the stewards tell you, and all should be well."

    and again, same logic.

    #"I could," you say slowly, "but the risk to his health makes it extremely inadvisable."

    we are a doctor.

    #I'm a doctor, I can't kill this man, etc..
    I don't think we'll get much useful information, he was hit from behind, after all.
    Last edited by norman250; 2016-07-18 at 09:57 AM.

  23. - Top - End - #53
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Raleigh NC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Let's Play! Steampunk

    *Phew* Just got in from digging up lawn that had been encroaching on my local road. It's 32.78C here, so you might say I was ... baked in a solar oven .

    At any rate, we have decided to:

    2#I try to pause long enough to answer, because she deserves kindness, but I dare not stay too long. I have to get to the engine room.

    #"Stay calm, madam. This is frightening, but I'm sure we're in no real danger. Do what the stewards tell you, and all should be well."

    #"I could," you say slowly, "but the risk to his health makes it extremely inadvisable."

    Then we roll:

    #More lives are at risk than the engineer's alone. I prepare the injection.
    12
    #I'm a doctor, I can't kill this man, etc..
    80

    ...

    Man, what a wuss randomella is. Here we go. I hope it doesn't kill us!

    Let's play it out!

    I try to pause long enough to answer, because she deserves kindness, but I dare not stay too long. I have to get to the engine room.
    Compassionate: 52 Pragmatic: 48

    "Stay calm, madam. This is frightening, but I'm sure we're in no real danger. Do what the stewards tell you, and all should be well."

    Some of the panic drains from her face, and she turns from you to look for a steward.
    Charisma: 84

    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunk
    When you reach the engine room, you find a small group including Finch and the ship's captain, Royce, clustered around the limp form of the ship's engineer, who is bleeding profusely from the scalp.

    Upon examination, you discover that the injury seems to be two separate wounds. One is minor–would have caused unconsciousness, but not severe injury–but the other is serious indeed.

    "I don't think this could have been caused by falling," you say slowly. "I think someone hit him from behind with a length of pipe or something similar."

    "Will his memory be affected?" Captain Royce asks.

    "There's no way to tell until he wakes up."

    "Can you hurry that along, Doctor?" says the captain. "We badly need to talk with him."

    You have an abbreviated medical kit tucked into your pocket, and it does in fact contain a small amount of a stimulant.

    I could," you say slowly, "but the risk to his health makes it extremely inadvisable."
    The Captain doesn't want to here that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunk
    "Sir, I understand your medical scruples," the captain says, "but we're in dire straits here."

    Finch moves aside so you have a clear view of the gaping-open panel behind his head. Something has been ripped out of it, leaving wires and cables dangling.

    "This was no malfunction, sir," Royce says. "This was sabotage. Someone has carried off the regulator–and the engineer is the only one who might have any idea who."
    At this point we refuse pointblank.

    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunk
    I am a doctor. I cannot kill this man with a stimulant for the slim chance he may know something. I lock eyes with the captain and refuse.
    Compassionate: 59 Pragmatic: 41

    Now onto new territory.

    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunk
    The captain's face turns red and he opens his mouth, but Finch touches his arm.

    Royce glares at him. "I would appreciate your assistance in pursuing this argument!"

    "You've already lost the argument," Finch tells the captain, with a sidelong glance at you. "I'm saving you some time. If the man is confused when he wakes, he'll be no help to us in any case. We must do the best we can without him." He turns to the engineer's assistant. "Straighten up, lad, we need you. You know this ship's engines as well as your senior, surely. How much trouble are we in?"

    "Q-quite a lot, sir," the boy stammers. "Th-the–the regulator that was stolen, that's what controls the coal for the boiler. It–it used to be, sir, it still is on seaships, there's a whole gang of men shoveling coal into the boiler, all the time, or the ship doesn't go, you see? For the airships, we've got something better. That there–" He points to the panel. "It keeps track of how hot the boiler's got to. When the pressure's too low, it dumps in coal. No muss, no fuss, all orderly. One day it'll be like that on all ships, air and sea, that's what they tell me."


    Vote 38:

    #And a good thing, too. I've seen the horrific conditions in which the coal gangs of the steamships labor. This is exactly what modern technology is good for–freeing human workers from unsafe and unsanitary jobs.

    #I feel some unease. Coal shoveling is a dangerous job with many health risks, but…what will those men do for work, if all Her Imperial Majesty's ships automate the process?

    #I see where this is going, and it has military stupidity written all over it. Did it not occur to anyone that the automated system could malfunction, and that it would be necessary to have the ability to perform the task manually?


    *Sigh* .

    After we react, we must decide what to do.

    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunk
    "So the regulator, that's what checks to see do we have enough coal, and when we don't, it dumps more into the boiler, and then the boiler keeps the air in the envelope hot, so we stay aloft, you see? If there's ever a breakdown in the regulator, it automatically shuts off the system–puts no more coal into the boiler–because too much coal makes the boiler run too hot, and that's terribly dangerous, that could set you on fire or blow you up."

    "With the regulator missing," Finch concludes slowly, "the system is not adding coal to the boiler. Because of the design, there is no way to add it manually. Without the boiler, the hot air in the envelope is cooling."

    The engineer's assistant nods miserably.

    Finch looks at the captain. "We're going down. Where are we?"

    "Halfway across the Channel." The captain looks ill.

    "Can you get the ship to land before we hit the water?"

    "No."

    Vote 39:

    #"Then we'd best start loading lifeboats."

    #"Then we'd best find the regulator and reattach it."


    The story branches here -- if we select loading lifeboats, Dr. Watson will head on deck and oversee the ship's evacuation. Otherwise, we'll do all we can to recover the regulator and prevent that from happening.

    if it aids in your decision, Finch will probably pursue the regulator in any event regardless of what you, Dr. Watson, do. It is a gamble, however. The most logical thing for the saboteur to do would be to throw the regulator into the sea, in which case the lifeboats are the only way anyone is going to live through this.

    So let's have those votes in by Wednesday, 18 Jul, 2016 5:30PM . Bring your swimming gear!

    Respectfully,

    Brian P.
    Last edited by pendell; 2016-07-18 at 05:24 PM.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

    -Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

  24. - Top - End - #54
    Orc in the Playground
     
    BlueWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Sewer maze

    Default Re: Let's Play! Steampunk

    Rare moment of Internet access! Quick quick quick!
    38) I feel some unease, etc.
    39) Lifeboat route.

    It makes more sense for Finch and Watson to split up. If he finds the regulator, great. If he doesn't, we've loaded the lifeboats.
    As for the injection: I did the demo a few times, trying different routes, and the engineer couldn't tell us anything anyway.
    Thought: that last vote is where the free demo ends. We are now moving into paid territory!
    (Goes to look for pool noodle in case regulator is not found)
    Last edited by Black Socks; 2016-07-18 at 07:58 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show


    Gone like the wind.

  25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground
     
    smuchmuch's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    ??Ph??

    Default Re: Let's Play! Steampunk

    #And a good thing, too. I've seen the horrific conditions in which the coal gangs of the steamships labor. This is exactly what modern technology is good for–freeing human workers from unsafe and unsanitary jobs.

    #I feel some unease. Coal shoveling is a dangerous job with many health risks, but…what will those men do for work, if all Her Imperial Majesty's ships automate the process?

    #I see where this is going, and it has military stupidity written all over it. Did it not occur to anyone that the automated system could malfunction, and that it would be necessary to have the ability to perform the task manually?
    ... Answer D: All three.

    with special emphasis on the third one, I see where this is going..

    Seriously this seems like a weird oversight, I mean error and overconfidence happens sure, but this not exactly small thing to miss.

    #"Then we'd best find the regulator and reattach it."

    More exciting this way
    Last edited by smuchmuch; 2016-07-18 at 08:11 PM.
    I'm sig'ing in the rain, just sig'ing in the rain....

    Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

    -

  26. - Top - End - #56
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Let's Play! Steampunk

    I see where this is going..



    #"Then we'd best find the regulator and reattach it."

    I really appreciate that Smuchmuch made the same choices I wanted to, because it made it so I could just quote them and still get red even though I'm posting on my phone.

  27. - Top - End - #57
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Raleigh NC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Let's Play! Steampunk

    We have some clear-cut and undisputed votes, the outcome is as clear and bright as the morning sun. I like it that way!

    38) #I see where this is going..


    39) #"Then we'd best find the regulator and reattach it."


    Let's play it out!

    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunk
    I see where this is going, and it has military stupidity written all over it. Did it not occur to anyone that the automated system could malfunction, and that it would be necessary to have the ability to perform the task manually?
    Perception: 68

    Outstanding! Be advised perception is a critical skill for any detective work we need to do, so the higher it is the better.

    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunk
    Apparently not.

    "So the regulator, that's what checks to see do we have enough coal, and when we don't, it dumps more into the boiler, and then the boiler keeps the air in the envelope hot, so we stay aloft, you see? If there's ever a breakdown in the regulator, it automatically shuts off the system–puts no more coal into the boiler–because too much coal makes the boiler run too hot, and that's terribly dangerous, that could set you on fire or blow you up."

    "With the regulator missing," Finch concludes slowly, "the system is not adding coal to the boiler. Because of the design, there is no way to add it manually. Without the boiler, the hot air in the envelope is cooling."

    The engineer's assistant nods miserably.

    Finch looks at the captain. "We're going down. Where are we?"

    "Halfway across the Channel." The captain looks ill.

    "Can you get the ship to land before we hit the water?"

    "No."
    Our response: ""Then we'd best find the regulator and reattach it."

    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunk
    "But–" the captain says. "Whoever took it might have just chucked it over the side!"

    "In which case, it will be as well to have the lifeboats loaded," Finch says, and draws you aside with a hand on your arm, effectively turning both your backs to the captain.

    Behind you, Royce sighs, then strides out into the corridor and starts bellowing orders. Crewmen come to carry the engineer to a place where he can be tended. Other crewmen come with instructions to stand guard and let no one else enter the engine room (though it's a little late for such a precaution).

    Hopefully somewhere in this room is a clue that will tell you–without delay–who ripped the regulator out of its panel.

    Vote 40:

    # I search the floor and the gaping hole where the regulator used to be, hoping to discover physical clues.

    #I half-close my eyes and visualize the engineer's head wound. Perhaps I will be able to conclude something about the person who inflicted it–height or dominant hand, for instance.

    # I half-close my eyes and review what we know about the saboteur so far.



    Okay, the following will occur regardless, but the choice you make, depending on your skills, may yield critical clues to the identity of the saboteur. That will impact Friday's vote.

    At any rate, we push on for the moment, but we'll be coming back to this!

    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunk

    "Oh, here we are," Finch says in a tone of satisfaction. You look up to see him standing before the ripped-apart regulator panel, rubbing his thumb and forefinger together. "There are little splatters of clear oil in the cabinet. If the regulator continued to drip oil as it was carted away, we might have an actual trail to follow.

    We just need something that will adhere to the oil splashes–now what's to hand that will suit…?" He does a brisk circuit of the engine room and returns carrying a bowl full of what you eventually realize is cigar ash. He sprinkles some in the cabinet, and you can see how it clings to the oil spots.

    Finch hastens for the corridor, scattering ash.
    Let's hurry down that trail!

    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunk
    Oil droplets do indeed lead away from the engine room. You fear they will terminate at a porthole, but instead they bring you to the door of the main storeroom.

    In the distance, you can hear panicked shouts from passengers and—unacceptably—crewmen:

    "The lifeboats aren't being launched! Why aren't the lifeboats being launched?"

    "I heard the lines are fouled!"

    "Where are we to get lifejackets? The steward said to put them on, but not where they were—"

    You refocus your attention to the task at hand. A storeroom on a vessel of this kind should be plenty large enough for the saboteur to hide in. The door is locked from the outside, which seems to argue against the saboteur being currently in residence. Still, the regulator might be hidden here.

    Vote 41: What course of action do you propose?

    #"I'll send someone for the steward–or the captain. One or the other should have a key."

    #"I don't think I can get that lock open, but I expect you can."

    #"We don't have time to fiddle with the lock. We'd better break down the door."

    #"Before we waste time here, let's see if the oil droplets continue further on. If not, we can double back."


    Okay, we're going to skip ahead a bit even though the story branches depending on whether we enter the storeroom or not. just accept it as given that their may be something of interest in either way. But to make our Friday deadline, let's move ahead a bit in the story to the point where we leave the storeroom and arrive at the galley.

    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunk
    The oil drips peter out just before the entrance to the galley.

    One of the ship's officers is there, explaining to a terrified-looking cook that she must come with him and be put aboard a parachute-lifeboat. "But what about my son?" the cook protests. "There aren't enough lifeboats even for the gentlemen passengers, let alone the workmen of the crew!"

    "Shhh!" the officer hisses, waving at the two of you, but it's too late; you heard her.

    Finch looks back at you with tightened lips, and you can guess what he is visualizing. The dirigible is going down over the ocean. It won't hit gently, and the water is icy cold. Even if there are enough lifejackets to go around, anyone not in a boat will die of exposure long before a ship comes looking for survivors.

    Vote 42: What do you say to the cook?

    #"Your son is in no danger. We're minutes away from finding the saboteur, and everyone aboard will be safe then."

    #"If you can help us find the saboteur, everyone aboard including your son will be safe."

    #"I can see to it your son gets a place on a boat, but I want something in exchange."


    Okay, one last thing -- I'm going to give you a quick preview of the Friday vote.

    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunk

    Chill wind whips your breath away as you emerge onto the top deck, which is open to the air. The scene before you is one of utter chaos.

    The deck is tilted at a sharp angle, and both the starboard and port sides are crowded with frightened passengers pushing to get into the slowly-lowering lifeboats. Officers push them back, shouting instructions about how to board, how to steer on the way down, how to fasten a lifejacket in case the boat overturns in the roiling water below. But between the wind and the crowd's clamor, no one except those standing right beside the officers could possibly have heard a word.

    As you escort the cook through the crowd, she is able to point out the steward–a big, heavy man–the university student, and the young couple. She is less certain about the lost lady.

    As she looks about the top deck, your eye falls on a figure in a beige gown and a plain hat helping to load the lifeboats.

    Miss Chandler.


    "You need to take your coat off," she is telling an older lady in a flower-decked hat. "I know it's cold, but the lifejacket won't fit otherwise, you see? It will only be for a little while before they send a ship out to get us. Here we are, let me do up the straps for you…" You know that technique; you've used it yourself in medical situations. Act calm and cheerful, and you can inspire calm cheer in frightened people. The old lady accepts the offered help, and moves toward the boats with a more relaxed expression.

    Miss Chandler turns away from her, and in the moment when she thinks no one is watching and no one needs her to be calm, she looks terrified.

    You know about that, too.

    "There," the cook says. "That lady there, in the heavy black veil."

    "Right," Finch says to you as he hands the cook off to an officer.

    Future vote 43: "We'll split up. Who do you want to question?"

    #The young couple.

    #The lady with the veil.

    #The steward.

    #The university student.

    #Before I go question anyone, I need to warn that courageous young woman to get on a lifeboat without delay.




    Hmmm ... how much do you want to bet that the last option will bring us back to our list of suspects after a short subplot?

    So this is a who dunnit. Your mission for this update is to use votes 40-42 to gather as much information about the sabotage as possible. Then you review that information, as well as the preceding story.

    Then, on Friday, we will have a single vote: Vote 43. We will finger a suspect. Then we will find out if we've caught a saboteur ...

    ... or if we're going to plummet to our deaths in the Not-Irish Loegrian Sea.

    Have your votes in by Friday, July 22, 2016, 5:30PM EST. See you then! Don't forget your lifejackets!

    Respectfully,

    Brian P.
    Last edited by pendell; 2016-07-20 at 05:31 PM.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

    -Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

  28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground
     
    smuchmuch's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    ??Ph??

    Default Re: Let's Play! Steampunk

    #I half-close my eyes and visualize the engineer's head wound. Perhaps I will be able to conclude something about the person who inflicted it–height or dominant hand, for instance.

    (Here is a small instance where the format of the LP is a little spoilery, since I know Finch will find the oil drop anyway, I feel confirmed that looking at the place of the ripped regulator would be somewhat redundant.
    That said even without that knowlege, I would have voted for the head wound option anyway.
    -I figure the main thing we'd learn from the cabinet is weither the suspct is strong or not (if the thing is heavy and was ripped brutaly) and if it would leave some mark ont he suspect
    -From looking at the wound, we could determine the height of the suspect, possibly the strength and dominant hand
    -Reviewing info would be better if we were trying to establish some kind of motive and profile, but thing is, we don't have a lot of information at the moment.
    Both choice one and two seem pretty valid, honnestly but we're a doctor, I feel the second option is where our medical knowlege might help us, if that makes sense.)

    interestingly, the fact that the culprit apparently didn't drop the regulator n the sea coud hint at a few thing, they could be either trying to /steal/ the regulator (it is an advanced piece of machinery, it's gotta be worth something). The steward and the univrsity students are the two favorite suspects here, even if sjut because they're the two suspect who would be more likely /know/ what the regulator exists (it's supposed to be exxperimental) and looks like (if the student is an engineering student)

    I notice the pannel was 'ripped apart' which, even with some kind of lever, hint as a pretty good strength. So once, again, Steward. then gain, we dodn't know how strong the student is.
    There is however the fact that the steward was on the observation deck behind us when the ship started to loose height which would rather innocent him if the egulator was ripped at that moment. (or shortly before)

    #"Before we waste time here, let's see if the oil droplets continue further on. If not, we can double back."

    alternatvely ask for the steward or captain

    (If the steward or the captain still have the key and the room contain something, since it's closed from the outside, it seems the steward would be a good suspect then.)

    #"If you can help us find the saboteur, everyone aboard including your son will be safe."

    Once again, playing on our charisma should work
    Last edited by smuchmuch; 2016-07-20 at 11:22 PM.
    I'm sig'ing in the rain, just sig'ing in the rain....

    Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

    -

  29. - Top - End - #59
    Orc in the Playground
     
    BlueWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Sewer maze

    Default Re: Let's Play! Steampunk

    $#@% has hit the fan.
    40) I visualize the head wound.
    If this is a whodunnit, more information about the culprit is the best way to go. We have 61 Medicine, will that be enough?
    41)Let's see if the droplets continue further on...
    42)If you can help us find the saboteur, etc.

    4 heads are better than 3.
    Alright, here we go... If we get out of this alive, I wonder what Lestrade Woodward will say about this!
    And sorry for not putting the exact words of my votes, but I'm typing from an IPad so copy/pasting doesn't really work.
    Last edited by Black Socks; 2016-07-21 at 03:08 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show


    Gone like the wind.

  30. - Top - End - #60
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Raleigh NC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Let's Play! Steampunk

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Socks
    And sorry for not putting the exact words of my votes, but I'm typing from an IPad so copy/pasting doesn't really work.
    Not a problem, you put down enough I understood what you meant.

    BTW, I believe ipad allows copy-paste. I know that Android does, though it took me two years to discover the functionality!

    Respectfully,

    Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

    -Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •