New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default Dungeon Combat help: Single Encounters take whole sessions.

How can I streamline dungeon combat so that we aren't spending months on end to get through a single level of a dungeon?

This dungeon I'm building is intended to give the players two character levels (Minimum) and a mythic tier... Currently, they're all Tier 1 level 8 characters.

((This is a pathfinder game))
    Last edited by MonkeySage; 2016-06-19 at 03:06 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: Dungeon Combat help: Single Encounters take whole sessions.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeySage View Post
    How can I streamline dungeon combat so that we aren't spending months on end to get through a single level of a dungeon?

This dungeon I'm building is intended to give the players two character levels (Minimum) and a mythic tier... Currently, they're all Tier 1 level 8 characters.

((This is a pathfinder game))
    I've been in that boat.
    I tried a lot of different solutions. I even spent a couple of sessions noting down timing for everything we did.
    In the end, we switched to 5e as it was basically the only solution that could cut times drastically.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Madeiner View Post
    I've been in that boat.
    I tried a lot of different solutions. I even spent a couple of sessions noting down timing for everything we did.
    In the end, we switched to 5e as it was basically the only solution that could cut times drastically.
    Switching systems is probably the only viable method to get any real speed, but there's lots of options regarding what to switch to.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

3.x ain't a fast system.

Use strict timers, or switch systems. Those are really the options.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

There are many reasons your combats can be slowed. 3.x is indeed not a fast system, but the problem could always just lie in the players if they constantly over-plan, second guess each other and themselves, get off topic, and such.
    It always amazes me how often people on forums would rather accuse you of misreading their posts with malice than re-explain their ideas with clarity.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

How many players do you have? Try cutting down, splitting up, or getting co-DMs to help with calculations.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

• Bunch your NPCs together in initiative. Have all your Orcs attack together on one initiative, have all your Skeletons attack together on another, etc. This can massively cut down on the DM time required to take turns, because there is far less "Who's turn is it?" and far less "And then Orc 4 attacks the fighter, swing and a miss." Just roll the dice for each one quickly and paraphrase what happens overall on the enemy group initiative. ("Three of the Orcs charge, two swinging at the Paladin and the other at the Wizard. The fourth Orc fires an arrow at the Rogue.")
    • Combined with that, consider a single "PC" turn if rounds need further speeding up. Have the players discuss what they want to do, then each player lists off their action in the order they want. Might not work as well, as players like their individual turns, but can speed things up greatly.
    • Plan general tactics for each group of monsters. The "three orcs charge, one orc fires bow" example above, for instance. Have an idea of when the NPCs keep attacking and when they try to retreat, and who they go after first. Then write it down with the monster entry. It prevents the bad case of "charge and attack again" while allowing for interesting tactics, but keeping everything moving quickly.
    • Tell players to get their next action ready during the downtime, rather than browsing their phones. Have casters look up/get the information for their next spell ready for their next round.
    • No takebacks. If somebody forgot a modifier or forgot to do an action on their turn, and it is someone else's turn, then don't rewind back to the forgetful player's turn. This includes the DM. Remind everyone that you're trying to keep things moving, and that you'll remember it from then on out.
    • If there is a rules argument, give everyone a minute to present their case/look up the ruling, then make a judgement. Let everyone know that if you get information that contradicts the ruling, then it will apply to NEXT game session, but this one is using what you decide. Keep options open for the other players at the table (I typically use "Is everyone fine with this for now?" in these cases) but keep things moving. You can make it a hard 1 minute limit for looking stuff up.
    • Learn everyone's names (or at least character names) and toss out a "You're up, Robert" or whatever if players frequently forget their turns.
    Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    There are no bad ideas, just bad execution.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you to zimmerwald1915 for the Gustave avatar.
    The full set is here.

Air Raccoon avatar provided by Ceika
    from the Request an OotS Style Avatar thread

A big thanks to PrinceAquilaDei for the gryphon avatar!
    original image

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

I stopped doing detailed combat maps to speed stuff up. Just use a dry erase board you can quickly sketch on. Use coins or dice instead of minis and don't worry about exact scale.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

Warn players that their turn is coming up by saying " Tom its your turn, Brian you are next". It cuts down on the time spent thinking.
    This really helps at my table.

Roll multiple dice together, and color code them.

If someone dont know the rules for what they are trying, they cant do it. They have the entire round to check rules, their turn is for acting not for books. It shouldn't be set in stone, but be a general rule.
    Quote Originally Posted by Incorrect View Post
    If you consider the RP aspect, you might want to consider alternatives to Tortle Str Ranger.
    I mean, why would the rest of the party trust this Tortal StRanger...

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Incorrect View Post
    If someone dont know the rules for what they are trying, they cant do it. They have the entire round to check rules, their turn is for acting not for books. It shouldn't be set in stone, but be a general rule.
    In my experience the books typically come out when Person A announces their action, and Person B says "I'm sorry, but I don't think you can do that. The rules don't work that way."
    Non est salvatori salvator,
    neque defensori dominus,
    nec pater nec mater,
    nihil supernum.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Why do the combats take so long now?
    Are the players unsure what their characters can do?
    Do they get hung on doing the math for attacks?
    Do they dither, discuss, or argue over specific actions?
    Do they obsess over tactical movement?
    Is AC and HP simply too high to allow monsters to get killed quickly?

Narrow down the problem and it will be easier to come up with a relevant answer.