New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default You Say Anachronism Like It's A Bad Thing

Alrighty. Once more I come begging to you for aid with a character(s). This time, the concept is interesting: A walking anachronism.

Basically, I've got a couple of concepts, and I'd like to see if you guys have any idea how to make them work/how to make them mechanically feasible/ how to make them rule. I'd like to avoid builds involving bows, Rogues, Scouts, and Use Magic Device if at all possible.

IDEA 1: Rifleman. Basically, an attempt to replicate a rifleman. I was thinking a repeating crossbow, and heavy use of grenade like items.

IDEA 2: Riot Shield. Every seen those SWAT officers with the huge shields and a pistol? Think a medival version of that, using tower shields and hand crossbows.

IDEA 3: Heavy Weapons Guy: Uses an oversized magically enchanted crossbow. The enchants make the bolts explode. Bascially a magical bazooka user.

IDEAS ON HOW TO MAKE THE ABOVE WORK: See if any D20 Modern feats could be applied. Also hombrew some stuff. Maybe a feat that lets you empty the clip on a repeating crossbow in one go.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: You Say Anachronism Like It's A Bad Thing

For a start.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasrkin View Post
    IDEA 3: Heavy Weapons Guy: Uses an oversized magically enchanted crossbow. The enchants make the bolts explode. Bascially a magical bazooka user.
    Complete Warrior has the Explosive weapon ability. Hits deal extra damage in a 5-foot spread. You can put this on a ranged weapon, which will bestow the property on ammunition it fires.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Alrighty. Once more I come begging to you for aid with a character(s). This time, the concept is interesting: A walking anachronism.

Basically, I've got a couple of concepts, and I'd like to see if you guys have any idea how to make them work/how to make them mechanically feasible/ how to make them rule. I'd like to avoid builds involving bows, Rogues, Scouts, and Use Magic Device if at all possible.

IDEA 1: Rifleman. Basically, an attempt to replicate a rifleman. I was thinking a repeating crossbow, and heavy use of grenade like items.

IDEA 2: Riot Shield. Every seen those SWAT officers with the huge shields and a pistol? Think a medival version of that, using tower shields and hand crossbows.

IDEAS ON HOW TO MAKE THE ABOVE WORK: See if any D20 Modern feats could be applied. Also hombrew some stuff. Maybe a feat that lets you empty the clip on a repeating crossbow in one go.
    One answer for them all - Look at Iron Kingdoms stuff, you will be able to fit out any and all of your concepts quite well
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Lug a ship around with a ballista attached. Add all sorts of damage increasers like Triple-Capsules (from CAdv) and the Quickflame, Quickfrost, Quickspark (or wassit electricity) and get sneak attack. Turn invisible and fire. Marvel at hitting a vital part with a BALLISTA.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

I would say that the entire upper half of your body would count as vital, yes...

Why a ship, though? Shrink item can't be that hard to get.
    Diamond Mind avatar provided by Abardam.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    One answer for them all - Look at Iron Kingdoms stuff, you will be able to fit out any and all of your concepts quite well
    Not quite what I'm looking for.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

1) repeating crossbow + rapid reload feat
    Now, get a magical one the does all the goodness you want, but have it cosmetically look like a real-life rifle. Just insist that mechanically its just a "magical repeating crossbow" and your DM will likely allow it.
    Also, heavy crossbow + brilliant energy enchantment = bowcaster from Star Wars.

2) Just find a feat that lets you use a handcrossbow in one hand (gotta be one somewhere), rapid reload feat for a more pistol-like feel, and then take fighter + tower shield proficiency feat for your shield/armor. Is this build kinda silly yes? Is it mechanically doable? Also yes.

3) Take Monkey Grip for a heavy crossbow. You now have a Huge Heavy Crossbow (read: ballista), get it enchanted with exploding ammunition (CWar), seeking (missile-like feel) (CAdv I think) and probably distance (maybe not though). Take fighter levels, get heavy armor for the whole look.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Riot Police don't use guns much. I'd just give them Large/Tower shields, "disability" grenades(Tanglefoot, etc. Non-lethal subduing), and Clubs. Maybe Light Maces/Hammers if they're the elite.
    President of the Society for Hobgoblin Equality in Level Adjustment(SHELA)

Glowing Kitty from Lilly
    Wren Worgatar by Mephibosheth
    The Living Bullet!
    Unusual Inner Animal Avatar from Quincunx.
    Whenever you mention Pun-pun*SQUELCH!*, Ao kills another Kobold.
    Everytime someone says "Pazuzu" twice, Ao erases them on the next "Pa". Then he undeletes them so he can wipeinfo them from the multiverse.
    Everytime you kill a catgirl, I get more company.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Take some points in use magic device then maybe a Oversized Repeating Crossbow with an attached Wand of Fireballs. Make it a customizable feature that can be changed out with a Wand of Lightning Bolts or Wand of Wall of Fog (for the smoke grenade effect of course). Carry around various 'magazines' of ammunition. Make one Humanoid Bane & Merciful for 'Riot' suppression, another Holy and Undead Bane, or another Seeking and Distance Mag when fighting pesky foes like shadows & ghosts. Give him a beret of charisma and call him Gung-ho or something like that.
    Last edited by Funkyodor; 2007-07-01 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Forgot that ghosts/shade types can't be critted.
    "I am bleeding, making me the victor!" - Wimp Lo, 'Kung Pow'
    "Nonsense! I would never do such a thing unless you were already having been going to do that!" - Professor Hubert Farnsworth A, 'Futurama'