New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 42
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground
     
    DwarfClericGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Living Fortress [IC]

    Each hero of the New World has ascended after some great deed in their home hex. Many turn the tides of massive wars, while others slay epic beasts or destroy world-rending artifacts. However, they all begin their new story here, in a Tavern. All but one.

    The enormous kobold, Mig-Mig, was given a different route. Rather than beginning his story in an extradimensional Tavern, the ubiquitous fortress of champions in each hex of this deific battlefield, he carried one upon his shoulders, two doors opening onto his broad, mighty shoulders. His assigned group, warriors legendary in their own right, joined him from there.

    In time, the group grew stronger, as they defeated enemies, first in the town they began in, then in the entire hex. Hearing reports of an endgame, an ultimate treasure that would provide anything, including ascension, the group begins to decide where to proceed.

    Spoiler: The Tavern
    Show
    The central figure of this campaign setting is the Tavern - A magical resting place, shop, and fortress. It automatically buys items, whisking them into nothingness and crediting you with gold, while also selling items on request. Normally (and in the case of your enemies), it manifests as an indestructible, literal tavern, appearing to be about 50 feet by 50 feet. However, in your case, it simply opens into Mig-Mig's shoulders.

    When you entered the New World, you were told by some deity or other force that your actions would reflect them on this battlefield, and given enough time and success, you might become a god yourself. You've already defeated many enemies, in your birth hex and your current hex. Now, you've reached the stage where you can move to others.

    Three maps are engraved in the Tavern, on a central table. They appear to update automatically, and thus far have been perfectly accurate representations of the surrounding town, then the hex. The final map is one of the world, and is reproduced here:

    Spoiler: Map
    Show


    Grey = Final Hex
    Red = Current Hex


    The outer rim consists of "birthplace" hexes, where lesser heroes are tested before being shown the reality of the New World. They aren't intended to be accessible, and the mountains around them are intentionally hostile to life, but there is no physical barrier beyond that.

    Note: Normally, you'd spend levels 2-6 "proving" yourself, then enter the New World. Levels 7-11 or so would be spent clearing the hex, at which point you'd gain Tavern-invasion capabilities, but we're skipping that.


    Spoiler: Information on Nearby Hexes
    Show
    You have gathered some information on the hexes near you. Clockwise, from the top:

    1 - This semi-arid hex is reported to have unusually high numbers of orcs, and not many noncombatants. The leaders of the hex have huge armies of at least semi-competent soldiers, though they themselves are only somewhat powerful.

    2 - This desert hex seemed like a wasteland, a view reinforced by a lack of people returning from exploration into it. However, recently, a few survivors have reported it inhabited by large wurms and other desert monstrosities, and were only saved by some group who has learned to tame them.

    3 - Another desert hex, this one is inhabited largely by Thri-Kreen, a desert insect-humanoid race highly competent at multiweapon fighting and psionics.

    4 - A forest that seems to be uninhabited beyond animals.

    5 - A hex with many inhabitants of all races, who seem to primarily live in their own territory, though reports suggest a central capital where they meet and negotiate. While most of the hex is covered with trees, about 40% of it is divided among plains, lakes, hills and mountainous terrain.

    6 - A forest largely inhabited by elves, who have turned almost the entire hex into a huge, treetop city. Much like hex 1, there are huge armies of possible threats, but most of these are actually noncombatants and simply have minor magical abilities. About 60% of the hex (mostly away from you) is covered in mountain.
    Last edited by r2d2go; 2016-06-22 at 02:23 AM.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NineOfSpades's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Betwixt & Between

    Default Re: Living Fortress [IC]

    Lady Keira Wulfsige sat at the table, palms rested flat upon its surface as she surveyed the grid laid out before her. It had been a long road to reach this point, claiming dominion over a single tile of the playing field, and yet stretched out ahead was many more such trials. A long road to the center, that was certain beyond any doubt. Other, lesser, individuals might have been daunted; to gaze at the arduous journey they would have to undertake and be left shaken by the magnitude of it. Keira, however, was excited at the prospect. For she saw a world that was splintered and divided, a multitude of factions each scrambling atop one another, clinging to their own holdings while coveting those of their neighbors. This was a land that needed unity, that needed to be brought together under a single banner. And it was by her hand it would happen.

    But, the question that currently had her vexed was where to begin. Their current territory was capable of providing for their immediate needs, but they would never hold it for long unless they began to expand. In that measure, she was grateful for her companions, who had long ago proven their measure and worth. Though small in number, collectively they carried the force of an entire legion. Such power would be needed, there was no doubt in that. But they could not be everywhere at once, and even guarding the borders of the current hex would be a daunting task. So then, the first move upon this new horizon would be to increase their military holdings. That was why she sat and contemplated, knowing this decision would set the tone for the entirety of their campaign. She saw but three options before her.

    To the north, the Horde of Orcs. Undisciplined, uncivilized, but strong in arms. Their leaders had collected an impressive war-band if the rumors were to be believed, but Keira suspected that if the leaders could be overthrown, the orcs could be browbeaten into serving under another strong leader, and Keira was nothing if she was not such a leader. But once the orcs were sworn to service, managing their unwieldy temperaments would be troublesome, and she would ever be forced to suppress their desire for bloodshed whenever a more tactful approach was called upon.

    To the Southwest, a conglomerate of sorts, bringing together a wide and diverse culture. With varied terrain, it would boast a plethora of useful resources. Timber for siege engines and wagons, mines to feed the forges, fields suitable for growing a harvest. Conquest would likely be easier here than her other prospects, as she'd not seen worth of an appriciable military force. Taking a diplomatic approach might prove more troublesome, as the collected states would each vie for their own agenda.

    Lastly, there were the elves who hid among their treetops to the northwest. Keira found their lands to be the most covetous, but also potentially the riskiest. Gaining their territory would make for an excellent launching point against both of the other lands that she immediately desired. They possessed a military of sorts, which could be bent to serve, along with natural resources in abundance. The city itself would make for a fine fortress, defensible and ready to endure attackers. Better still, the magical aptitude of their people would prove a great boon to any army. She had visions of establishing ports along the treeline northern edge, to use the lack beyond as a seat of nautical approach to the next wave of her advance. But alas, many of these traits gave her pause as well, as it would be challenging to overtake them by force without weakening the very assets she sought to add to her holdings. Especially in the case of their magical talents, which presented a threat that Keira had no direct avenue to repel, her own alliance having an array of astounding abilities, but not the raw magical talent of an archmage. Ideally, to take the elves, Keira would prefer to have the orcs and nation-states on either side already be brought into her empire, so that she could outflank them and force a decisive surrender. But then, the question would be, could she take two hexes with enough swiftness that the elves would not have time to fortify their own borders.

    Thus, Keira sat, drinking her goblet of ale and contemplating the future of her newborn nation. At her back was Sir Edwin, vigilent as ever against any threats to his Lady, silently watching the tavern. Keira herself was at ease, trusting that no threat could penetrate these walls without her knowing. Though her mind was busy, her posture was relaxed and welcoming. It was in times like these that an outside opinion could do well, and she was ready to receive input from her fellowship.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    West End, Hampshire, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Living Fortress [IC]

    There is a blur at the door that zips across the tavern in the blink of an eye before it resolves into the Tiny form of Glimmershade as he stands atop the table, snout downturned to the map as he sniffs at it for a few moments, head tilted to one side.

    He then looks up at Keira and gives a toothy grin.
    {Draconic}"Lady Keira of the Strongshouts thinking manylots about where Mig-Mig goes. You know, if ask nicely, can go look at things myself instead of on flat table." He tilts his head and a cheekier grin spreads across his face, a sly sparkle in his eye. {Draconic}"Well, ask nicely and give nice head scratches. Will not take very long at all to check."

    He peers down at the map again. {Draconic}Ooooooooh, Orcs! I speak Orc! I can insult all their grandmas, then tell them where good fights are and to fight for us!"
    Last edited by Rattigan; 2016-06-24 at 05:13 PM.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2015

    Default Re: Living Fortress [IC]

    Mig-Mig surveyed the horizon of his conquered Hex. It had bent easily to him and his allies - after all, a hundred foot tall draconic demon made of brass makes for a truly fearsome sight. But the rewards of conquest in this region were small and mostly insignificant, with what little civilization to be found clustered around small sources of water.

    The colossus wanted more. He and his allies would be moving onwards from this region in short time, he had no doubt. Conquest was Mig-Mig's true joy, and everything else paled in comparison.

    The giant swung his titanic sword through the air, watching it ignite with blazing green fire. He gently slid it into the tavern on his left shoulder, where his allies were assembled. Then he sat on the ground in lotus position, and slid his goggles over his eyes.

    The other pair of the goggles was mounted on a small brass statue of himself within the tavern, and Mig-Mig could see Keira speaking to Glimmershade with her bodyguard standing at back. Harbinger was hung from the ceiling like a giant support beam.

    "If we can challenge the orcish leaders, we would likely be able to seize control of their hordes. However, managing the hordes would be hard, and there are few resources in that region. I believe that we should head south. The armies will be weaker in that region, and resources will be more plentiful."
    Currently Playing:
    Qianal Ai the Dragonborn Paladin/Barbarian in Sentinels of Houshen

    Doderic Took the Halfling Kensei in Falling Stars

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    SamuraiGirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2015

    Default Re: Living Fortress [IC]

    Clong, Clong, Clong, Clong

    Beat the metal to the rhythm of your heart.

    Clong, Clong, Clong, Clong

    Beat it 'gainst the anvil, then heat it in the forge.

    Clong, Clong, Tic, Fwoosh

    Pump the bellows, stir the coals.

    Shuuuip-Fwoosh, Shuuuip-Fwoosh

    Pump the bellows 'til the metal glows white.

    Shuuuip-Fwoosh, Shuuuip-Fwoosh

    Out of the forge and onto the anvil.

    Clong, Clong, Clong, Clong

    Beat it faster as the metal yellows, hammer twice for every pump.

    Clong-Clong-Clong-Clong-Clong-Clong-Clong-Clong

    And as the metal glows blood: Staggered Force Staccato!

    ClongClang-ClongClang-ClongClang-ClongClang-ClongClang-ClongClang-ClongClang-ClongClang

    Then submerging the blade in milk, then honey, and then diluted blood in rapid succession before finally ending the quench by 5 alternations in anointed oil, white sand, oil, black sand, and back.

    With hissing steam and fumes as the blade cooled, the metal whitening to reflect its reforging, Ylva looked intently at her most treasured blade. The True Blade's metal had been growing progressively whiter with each reforging. And the stylized symbols and imagery had been growing ever more complex, as if detailing her own exploits... "No, neither adamantine nor mithral, what is this metal?"

    Letting her gaze wander by the keen edge of her Great Scimitar, Ylva set her tools aside and firmly grabbed the hilt, sheating the Blade of First Forging in her Elsewhere-space. How long had this taken? At least two missed meals if the grumbling of her stomach and that slight tinge of nausea was truthful. A meal then, and some conversation on where they were heading next. But she better armor up, last time she didn't someone had tried to attack them. The battle had went well, so well in fact that she had not finished strapping on the armor before it was over. Not an experience she wished to repeat.

    The straps of her Battle Plate were many, but donning this armor herself was something she had much practice with. First the main breastplate, then thighplates, armplates, bracerplates, and greaveplates. Boots, knee-guards, elbow-guards and plateskirt came next before the complicated gorget-shoulder pad combination was done and strapped in place. Finally came the tabard, harness, and belt so that she would be able to wear her weapons to battle.
    Spoiler: Last, but certainly not least, came her helmet.
    Show

    Ylva in full regalia!


    Now fully garbed, Ylva sheathed a few weapons to her harness: with a pair of harpoons giving her options beyond the morningstar, khopesh, and elven thinblade. Letting the forge fires fizzle she left her part of the tavern. Lady Keira was in the common room, as always accompanied by her bodyguard Sir Edwin. She was difficult to ignore, should one try to, her charisma seemingly drew you to her like moths to a light. And there was Glimmershade, the energetic young dragon zipping around the tavern as he pleased or as his curiousity dictated. They were speaking about the Orcs to the north...

    "If these orcs are anything like those in my birth-hex they will only have gathered in such numbers for a reason, even if they are ruled by separate warlords. Maybe they have found a rare resource that they make use of?"

    Spoiler: failed roll
    Show
    [roll=Knowledge (Geography) to see if there could be metals there]1d20+22[/roll]

    * post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by EdinoiZ; 2016-06-27 at 03:20 PM.
    I'm able to post ICly at least once every other day, depending on my current schedule, if not more.

    Extended Signature (doubles as a memorial over characters from games long since passed).

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    RedKnightGirl

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Moselle, France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Living Fortress [IC]

    Shedding light brightly, Harbringer keeps doing what it does best... torturing the souls of the fiends it slayed.

    "I can't see how those orcs won't bow before us as soon as we show up. But planning about what to do with them is indeed important, and if we could teach them something new to channel their agressivity in a way..."
    Last edited by silphael; 2016-07-05 at 04:12 AM.
    I just moved with my gf, and might need some time to find the perfect spot for my cpu. Still trying to keep up with my games.


  7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NineOfSpades's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Betwixt & Between

    Default Re: Living Fortress [IC]

    With a small smile, Keira scrached the scales atop Glimmershades head, working her fingers down the length of the dragons neck and digging in where the wings met the shoulderblades, a spot which she suspected was difficult for the wyrmling to reach. {Draconic} "If it is you flinging the insults, that is not a fate I would wish upon my most hated enemy" The dragon did perhaps have a point, there would come a point where she could glean no further secrets from this table, and would need eyes and ears in the field.

    As Harbinger entered through the tavern, taking up his resting place amid the mantel, Keira considered Mig-Migs position and opinion. However, before she could comment on it further, the rest of the group began to assemble and pitch their own ideas. The decision seemed to be leading towards the north, and the orcs who dwelt there. Their mounted warband remaind a prize worth seizing, and the thought of channeling their aggression towards her own ends was appealing, even if the temperament of the savages would need to be brought to heel. "Mig-Mig, I agree that the southern lands will likely prove a greater asset, I fear that we need approach them with greater caution. Their people are scattered to their own city-states. If we cannot swiftly force their cooperation, I suspect they will fracture. Some will ally with us, others against. Even should we emerge victorious, it will not be a decisive victory...the current rulers will wish to maintain their own holdings, and we will be left to negotiate their bickering. However, should we arrive with a war band at our back, we can overthrow their forces before they even realize that war has come to their gates."


    In her heart, Keira did not truly wish to rule the Orcs. But they had strength, potentially the greatest military strength currently on the board, save perhaps for those gathered in this tavern. United, none of the negiboring tiles could hope to pose proper resistance. Wheels within her mind turned, plans within plans to topple the Orcs and force them into line. She would be marching to face a horde of barbarians, and would be returning with a proper army at her beck and call. And that was a thought which warmed her heart.

    "I agree with the proposal; We take the north first. Their tribal structure is archaic and their soldiers have no love for their leadership. They will fall in under the strongest, and I have no doubt that our might is superior to theirs. We ought then make preparations to depart for the border. We will leave our forces here, in case any of the neighboring tiles seek to attack in our absence They can use this time to arm themselves. Should we find victory among the orcs, then our army will be ready, and we can unite to head south. Should we fail...our legion will be equipped and ready to march, and we can take the north lands by force."

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2015

    Default Re: Living Fortress [IC]

    "These Orcs follow strength, and none are stronger than myself. The Orcs may refuse to fight me, however, in fear of my glory. We may have to send Sir Dalton, Rosaline or Ylva into the fray. Insulting the honor and bravery of the orcs should work to goad them into a fight against myself, which they will certainly lose.

    "Although, I believe we have heard these orcs were taken over by a group of adventurers? Perhaps we will need to fight them instead?"
    Currently Playing:
    Qianal Ai the Dragonborn Paladin/Barbarian in Sentinels of Houshen

    Doderic Took the Halfling Kensei in Falling Stars

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NineOfSpades's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Betwixt & Between

    Default Re: Living Fortress [IC]

    "It matters very little" Keira answered dismissivly, drinking her ale. "The warchiefs may be orc, or men, elves or dwarves...so long as their power over the horde is drawn through the orcs believing in their strength, we can seize victory. As you have said, my friend, there are none among them mightier than yourself. I hold much the same confidence in our companions" Pausing, Keira raised her glass to the room, giving her fellows their due respect. "Still, you are right of course, in that we accomplish nothing by going in blind. We ought then learn all that we are able of the champions we aim to face, and do so swiftly before the battle begins. Doubtless, word will already be reaching them of our claim to this hex, so I should suspect they may be attempting to learn what they can of our own powers" That thought gave Keira a moments pause, as she considered the benefits of planting false information that might lead their opponents to make further mistakes. She dismissed it though, feeling that there was little she could do to conceal the presence of the living colossus upon which she currently rested, and sensing that time spent laying falsehoods could be better spent elsewhere.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    riccaru's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Wouldn't you like to know
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Living Fortress [IC]

    Rosaline was not a social creature by any measure, but how she loved scanning crowds for that hooded monster with his death wish. Even more interesting was the divide between those who she saw and those who blended into the background where lesser creatures belonged. Rosaline spent much of her time assessing those in the tavern to see who could harm them with nothing but a sideways glance at the crowd.

    After listening to each of her allies speak and confirm her own suspicions about the course of action Rosaline finally sits forward in her chair which had been tipped back until now. "whatever action we take needs to be done swiftly. It would not do to lose control of our foothold so early into our campaign." She says without emotion.

    "How do we hold onto this hex while our forces march upon the others?" She poses to her allies.
    Sir Dan Avatar by Mrgone!

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NineOfSpades's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Betwixt & Between

    Default Re: Living Fortress [IC]

    Keira nodded to Rosaline, thankful that the finest swordsmaiden she'd ever seen had decided to join the discussion. "For the shirt term, I do not feel that we are at much risk. Our travel north will take only a handful of days, not nearly enough time for our negibors to mobilize. Glimmershade..." Keira nodded to the dragon as she continued to satisfy the wyrmlings desire to be scratched "Will be scouting for us as we travel. If, and I stress that this is a scenario that I consider unlikely, one of them does take action, we'll have forewarning before they breach our borders and can react accordingly. Moving forward, you are correct...we will need to devote resources to maintaining our holdings, be they diplomatic treaties, or guarded with steel."

    Keira continued to speak among her fellows as the planning proceeded. Maps were consulted and battle plans were drawn, old tomes unearthed from their records as the group debated on the finer points of the plan. It was a war council of the finest that this hex had to offer, each forging the steps which would carry them forward.


    Spoiler: OOC
    Show


    We can still discuss and RP, but I'm guessing that enough time will be spent on the rest of the current day that we can use the Council of Wise Men Mythos.

    The Augry effect has a base chance of success equal to the combined HD of the participants. With all the PCs, plus Sir Edwin, that makes for a base success rate of 89%. We can further increase the likelyhood of a correct answer as per theAugry spell. The plan is detailed in bullet points Here and we will need our beloved DM to roll in secret and reveal if this plan is likely to work.

    Seeking to improve the base chance of success with the following skill roles. +1% chance of receiving a correct answer per 5 points above a DC 10.

    Knowledge (History): General military tactics and Strategey (1d20+25)[39] +5%
    Knowledge (Geography): Planning our travel route (1d20+20)[23] +2%
    Knowledge (Nature): Natural Hazards native to the region (1d20+20)[34] +4%
    Knowledge (Religeon): Orc Spiritual Beliefs and traditions (1d20+20)[31] +4%

    Total increase of +15%, increasing our likleyhood of a correct answer to 104% (Though still failing on a roll of 100). Does this plan seem likely to succeed?
    Last edited by NineOfSpades; 2016-07-02 at 08:33 AM.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    SamuraiGirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2015

    Default Re: Living Fortress [IC]

    Ylva nodded to the others as they entered, Mig-Mig receiving a belated greeting as he spoke with Keira. They were all here. The first proper war council for this alliance, group, gathering of comrades, for this party. Almost a fellowship, imagine that. The discussion progressed and as the act of raising an army passed through the phases of "concept", "idea", "loose plan", "supported plan" and into "discussion of details" Ylva felt that she had something more than small talk to contribute once more. "This army of ours would need to be armed," she said with her calm voice. "I won't stand for them having sub-par weapons, even if I have to personally forge every replacement myself." She would not let anyone suffer the hardships of fighting for their life with only scrap and scraped together items being the difference.
    I'm able to post ICly at least once every other day, depending on my current schedule, if not more.

    Extended Signature (doubles as a memorial over characters from games long since passed).

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    West End, Hampshire, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Living Fortress [IC]

    Glimmershade has been giving contented trilling purrs and happy little wiggles as Keira's fingers find the good spots between his wingblades.

    Now he gives a catlike stretch, his metal claws digging in a little to the table surface.

    "Why don't you make them metal bones and claws like me Ylva BigClang? Then they'd be unstoppable! Or could teach them how to punch really good and stun our enemies with bonks to the noggin!"

    He turns to look at Rosaline "Can always come back and check on this place quickly every so often too Rosaline Stabbystab, if you give me manylots beef jerky. Would that make you feel better while we were away?" He gives a predatory grin. "Of course, if you don't call me for any battles while I am away I shall be very cross indeed. May even insult your grandma too!"

    He looks around the room. "Don't worry everyone! Mig-Mig the Humungous can punch anything..." A mischievous glint enters his eye "Except teeny tiny things like me!"

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground
     
    DwarfClericGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: Living Fortress [IC]

    Marching (or flying) forth, you face little opposition as you make your way towards the center of the Orcish hex. Several days pass with essentially no contact with the orcs, with Glimmershade's scouting reporting only small tribal groups nearby. The first sign of interest occurs when, perhaps halfway to the center, you approach a reasonably sized town, perhaps holding a thousand people. Many of you notice the five or six dozen soldiers lying in wait in the tall grasses surrounding the town, but an orc wearing bone armor and what appears to be at least twenty pounds of decorative adornments waves towards you as you approach, apparently with peaceful intent. He calls up in accented common, saying, "Hello, Giant One! What brings you to our lands?"

    Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    (1d20)[19]
    (1d20)[5]
    (1d20)[8]
    (1d20)[8]
    (1d20)[1]
    (1d20)[5]
    (1d20)[2]

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2015

    Default Re: Living Fortress [IC]

    Mig-Mig planted the Harbinger in the ground near the orcs and then kneeled down on one leg, leaning in towards the orcs.

    "Ah, so you have already heard of myself. I have come in the pursuit of leadership. I wish to challenge your leaders to honorable single combat, with the victor assuming command of the tribes. This is the basis for your legal system, no?"
    Currently Playing:
    Qianal Ai the Dragonborn Paladin/Barbarian in Sentinels of Houshen

    Doderic Took the Halfling Kensei in Falling Stars

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground
     
    DwarfClericGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: Living Fortress [IC]

    The orc shakes his head, the entire decorative setup shaking as he does. "It is, until we find a Chief of the Tavern. Then they rally us under one cause, and it makes us stronger, healthier, and happier than we are without. We do not accept the risks of a new leader."

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2015

    Default Re: Living Fortress [IC]

    "Ah, but we are Champions of the Tavern, like those that have emerged from your own. Upon my shoulders rest two twin Taverns. We come bearing numerous gifts, such as thousands of weapons, for all the orcs of this land. And this is merely the beginning of what we offer. Follow us, and there will be riches even better than what your current leaders put forth."

    Mig-Mig reached out mentally to his associates within the taverns. "Bring forth the crossbows to show the Orcs."
    Last edited by UrsusArctos; 2016-07-09 at 06:45 PM.
    Currently Playing:
    Qianal Ai the Dragonborn Paladin/Barbarian in Sentinels of Houshen

    Doderic Took the Halfling Kensei in Falling Stars

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground
     
    DwarfClericGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: Living Fortress [IC]

    (Assuming the crossbows are taken out - go ahead and retcon anything you want to do during the presentation)

    Stiffening at the display, the orc shakes his head with obvious regret. "I cannot accept. While I admit many of the tribes would take your leadership if alone, there are many that are more loyal. There would be civil war as half the tribes joined you and the rest fought back, and I do not wish to see my race, even from other tribes, decimated by such infighting."

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NineOfSpades's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Betwixt & Between

    Default Re: Living Fortress [IC]

    Lady Keira had been in the forging chamber when news reached her that Mig-Mig had landed, their progress towards the capital of the Orcs territory momentarily halted. While she took pride in her own crafting abilities, being able to turn an unworked chuck of ore into a glimmering steel blade with little effort, she had put aside her own ego in this endevor. Her own skills, no matter how impressive, were still secondary to Ylva's, and so Keira focused more on keeping the lines of production running efficiently. That meant tending to assembly steps when Ylva was otherwise occupied, keeping the hungry furnaces stocked, and directing her subjects to fetch new raw materials from the stockpile. All together, the two women had managed to produce weapons enough to fill an entire warehouse in virtually no time.

    Now, she stood outside, meeting with the orc chieftain who seemed very much like an overstuffed peacock, such was the extend of his embellished attire. She liked this one, his loyalty was admirable, but he held no secrets from her scrutiny, and she knew that he was conflicted in his allegiance. As suspected, the orcs first instinct was the ally with the strong. "You have impressed me, chieftain, and I do not impress easily. There are many who would slay their siblings as they slept, if it meant laying claim to such a bounty of arms as these. Yet you resist such temptations, putting the good of your people first. I am Lady Keira Wulfsige, and I would very much enjoy the pleasure of your acquaintance" . As she extended her greeting, Keira's eyes narrowed imperceptibly. Whether or not the orc accepted the gift was of little consequence, so long as he did not delay their progress. But an opportunity to learn more of the lands that would soon belong to her, and of its people, was not something that she'd let pass. Though his body was obscured, buried under the totems and fetishes that ritualistically coated his thick frame, her insight was not to be obscured. With a glance, she would cast a blinding light onto whatever secrets there were to be had here.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Keira will use her Leaders Falsehood Piercing Stare on the chieftain. He gets a will save (DC 28).

    If he fails, the following effects apply until she stops focusing on him.

    1. He becomes incapable of verbally lying, automatically failing their bluff checks against Keira. Should he attempt to lie through omission or half-truth, Keira is immediately notified. This is considered mind effecting.

    2. Keira can read his surface thoughts. This is not mind affecting. She only gains awareness of what he is currently thinking, though she can attempt to get him to think on certain topics through social interaction. He can attempt to bluff her mind reading, but takes a -34 to his bluff check to do so.

    3. He takes a -24 to all other bluff checks made against Keira, and a -24 on diplomacy checks against her.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground
     
    DwarfClericGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: Living Fortress [IC]

    Spoiler: Surface Thoughts
    Show
    I'm far out of my league. These people are easily capable of utterly destroying me without a second thought. At least I get to do something with my life, but this is mind numbing. What am I even supposed to do... Shoot, do they even swing fists? They're not orcs...


    Tensely nodding, the orc swings his fist up through the air towards Keira, though he is nowhere near close enough for it to be an attempt at a strike.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NineOfSpades's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Betwixt & Between

    Default Re: Living Fortress [IC]

    Keira witnessed the attack, knowing she could avoid it if she chose, but decided to allow it to strike her as she stood firm. A lion did not run from rabbits, and she would not run from such a half-hearted blow. At her side, Sir Edwin tensed, his massive hands flying to the hilt of his blade. Already he moved to stand between Keira and the chieftan, a beastly snarl emanating from somewhere deep within his helm. Turning her head only slightly, Keira made a small gesture, calling off her guard before he stained the meeting with bloodshed. "Quiet yourself Edwin, we are not among enemies here". The knight stumbled, pausing mid stride, his blade half way drawn. He then stood streight, easing the weapon back into place. "As you say, my lady" rumbled a voice like distant thunder.

    "Sir Edwin means well, though he can at times be overprotective of me, and rather less worldly when it comes to foreign cultures" Keira spoke to the chieftan, her lips giving a small smile, though not actually apologizing. Balling her own hand into a fist, Keira mirrored the chieftains strike, tempering her blow so that he would have the same option to avoid the impact, if he so chose.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Maintaining Leaders Falsehood Piercing Stare

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground
     
    DwarfClericGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: Living Fortress [IC]

    Looking more than a little confused, the orc takes the blow without otherwise reacting, then says. "...so, if there is no further business?"

    Spoiler: Surface Thoughts
    Show
    I don't even... well, I guess that was a lot better than getting eviscerated for attacking. Wait, gods above, I could have gotten eviscerated for attacking. I'm so stupid... gah, well, it worked out. I really just want this to be over... Oh, she's swinging at me? Eh... well, at least taking a hit is something I'm used to...


    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    He wasn't actually trying to hit you, just swinging his fist in front of you.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NineOfSpades's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Betwixt & Between

    Default Re: Living Fortress [IC]

    Though admittedly the exchange had not gone quite so smoothly as she'd intended, Keira felt that things had progressed tolerably. Until the chieftan asked if they were finished, to which she had to shake her head. "Not quite, I'm afraid. Walk with me a moment, if you would. I have two more things which I'd like to discuss".

    Beginning a leisurely stroll, Keira walked amid the village, briefly passing under the shadow of the titanic Mig-Mig as she did. She did not turn to look back, or confirm that the chieftan was walking with her, trusting that he would fall in as she'd requested. Nor did the amber haired maiden speak for a time, instead merely looking upon the tribal dwellings and its people. It was clear that she was quite comfortable in taking her time, and would not be rushed.

    At last, Keira turned again to address the chieftain. "For you, I have some advice to offer, and a question.". Stopping her walk, she faced back towards the settlement, and the colossus who loomed over it. "Whether you wish it or not, war is indeed coming. If you listen, perhaps you can even hear it. The thunder of hoof-beats, the crash of arms and the screams of the dying. Nothing you say or do can avert it, though your actions may yet spare the people who call you their chief from seeing its horrors. I am Lady Keira Wulfsige, and My dominion will cover all lands of this realm, and beyond. All sovereigns who claim lordship are but shadows, idle pretenders unfit to bare any crown or titles." She spoke, and her words were like an avalance. Something great and terrible that had always been there, and once set in motion, could neither be averted nor escaped. "To those who serve me, I offer my benevolence. I bring order, prosperity, and a freedom from wantonness. But those who defy me, I offer only finality. I shall extend my hand and erase even the memories of their insolence. I shall bring fire and steel, and though it brings me no pleasure, I shall drown the mountains in blood if need be. Chieftain.." she paused a moment, directing her persence down on the speck of an orc before her, a tiny creature of such fragility that she needed to restrain herself, lest he be torn apart by her unchecked ambition. And she was not through with him, not yet. "You have welcomed me into your lands, and shown both hospitality and wisdom. Soon I will take my leave, and you will still draw breath. Soon, I will stand before the false-chieftains who rule this tile. They will bow before me, or fall at my feet. My advise to you is this: Do not think so lightly of the gifts that you have been offered." It wasn't a threat, not in the normal sense. A threat was something that implied action. A man could threaten another with a blade, a mother could threaten a child with chores. But Keira was not threatening in the manner of mortals. Her words were the eternal threat of hunger, of long winters, of savage storms that set fire to the grasslands. Things which would simply be what they were. "And my question is this: When I return here, will I be welcomed as an honored guest, or will I be extending my hand?"

    Pausing a moment, Keira shut her eyes. And when she opened them, for an instant, she let slip the unbridled power that eminated from within. She was the dawn. She was the choir of heaven. She was elemental, a force that had always been and would always be. She was a Queen.

    And then she turned, and walked back towards her companions, ready to depart.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Powerful Fear-Of-The-Divine presence. The orcs within 90ft of Keira get a will save (DC 28, vs being Cowered & Facinated for as long as as Keira maintains the effect, and for 12 rounds after.
    Last edited by NineOfSpades; 2016-07-15 at 12:15 PM.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground
     
    DwarfClericGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: Living Fortress [IC]

    The orc walks with Kiera, slowly getting more nervous as they get a hundred feet, then a thousand, further and further from the group. He freezes as she pulses an aura of absolute power around her, unable to move, or even breath. At last, when she was nearly a hundred feet away, he calls out, "My father once said that a brave man is not fearless. A brave man is one who knows his fears, and fights past them. I am still afraid of death. But I have accepted it today."

    He looks towards the sky, kneels towards his village, and closes his eyes. Soon, you notice what he was looking at - Hundreds, perhaps thousands of arrows darken the sky. Soon, they begin hailing down upon Mig-Mig, piercing his flesh as if toothpicks. Most seem to be merely carriers for fire or ice, but at some point, something changes - and, rather than sinking mostly-harmlessly an inch into his hide, many embed themselves their full length into his flesh, provoking an involuntary twitch of pain each time one strikes true.

    The source of the arrows seems to be the village, but you still can't see anything unusual in it. The streets are still mostly empty with a few random people milling about. From this distance, you can't be sure, but you suspect that the archers are hiding in their homes and shooting.

    Meanwhile, the soldiers lying in wait begin to move - away. While they haven't really gotten anywhere, still scrambling to their feet, the ring a hundred feet around Mig-Mig is widening.

    Spoiler: Surface Thoughts
    Show
    Oh god oh god she's probably going to kill me

    but it's actually not just me but me and everyone I know or could know

    Oh god... What would my father say?

    (OoC: The Orc went through a bit of a flashback, so I'm going to write in that format rather than in "thoughts". This is what he experienced, basically.)

    When I was young, I was always afraid. Afraid of hunger. Afraid of beasts. Afraid of war. Most of all, afraid of death. This was no proper disposition for a chieftan's son, but then, what about me was? I was not as strong or brave as my brothers. Even as the eldest, I would not be the next chief. Everyone knew that.

    One day, my father heard of the beating I received after fleeing a battle. He saw the fear in my swollen eyes, and I thought he was going to kill me there. But instead, he sat next to me, the distant fire crackling at our backs.

    "Son. You have always thought you were too afraid." He didn't look at me, didn't say it like a question. I was used to this, and grunted my confirmation.

    "You are wrong."

    Straining my neck to look at my father in confusion, I saw him staring at the night sky, seemingly lost in thought. "I am afraid, some times. Only a madman is not. Your weakness lies not in your fear, but in your reaction." He swung a fist down towards my head, and I flinched, expecting the blow. It didn't come, and when I opened my eyes, he was back to his original position, as if nothing had happened. Then, he said, "Do the same to me."

    I grunted in pain and sat up to comply. Taking my fist, I swung it at my father, pulling back at the last moment. To my surprise, he flinched. But then, immediately, he looked me straight in the eye. "Do you see? Neither of us can stop our fear. It does not matter who you are, if someone is that close to striking your eyes, you will flinch. The difference is in what happens after. You keep your eyes closed, hiding from your fear. I open my eyes wide, and challenge it. I do not show any more weakness than I must."

    Cracking his knuckles, he stood. "You are much closer to being a great chieftain than your brothers. You have already realized what fears you have. Now you must overcome them." Walking away to the fire, my father faded out of view as I lay back down on the sand.

    (End Flashback)

    I see now. This fear... I have always feared death. To react so much to this woman... she must be the embodiment of it. I knew following her would mean war. After all, is it not natural for war and death to walk hand in hand?

    I wish I knew how it would happen, thou- (Cower)

    Ah.

    That would do it. (Speaks and kneels)


    Spoiler: Results
    Show
    So rather than roll hundreds of d20s, I used a dice roller app to count the crits.
    Mig-Mig takes (6d8+22)[41] piercing Lawful damage, (16d6)[53] Cold damage and (37d6)[132] Fire damage (in increments of 1d8+1d6+2), from about 500 bolts. Not sure if you have energy resistance.

    Roll initiative!

    Edit: just kidding, in interest of time I did it for you. See OoC.


    Spoiler: Positioning
    Show
    Mig-Mig is 500 feet from the village.

    Keira and Orc Guy are 2200 feet from Mig-Mig and 1800 feet from the nearest edge of village. (Orc Guy is actually 90 ft further than that).

    Most people (everyone who hasn't posted IC since reaching the village) is assumed to be on Mig-Mig or in the tavern - Post where you are if you

    Glimmershade is... Okay, with 480ft fly speed and various enhancements I'm just going to say you can be wherever you'd like, except actually in the village. So, if you're not within 100 feet of the village, you're good.
    Last edited by r2d2go; 2016-07-17 at 02:53 AM.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    riccaru's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Wouldn't you like to know
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Living Fortress [IC]

    In a flash of light and a popping noise Rosaline is off, moving toward the town as she draws her swords. "Glimmershade get to Keira!" She yells as she moves with a swiftness one wouldn't expect for now is a time of action, and action is what Rosaline does best.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Activating winged mask to give her a 60' fly speed and then using travel devotion and a move action to get 120' closer to the buildings.
    Sir Dan Avatar by Mrgone!

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground
     
    DwarfClericGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: Living Fortress [IC]

    The various soldiers surrounding Mig-Mig scatter, widening the ring around him to a scattered two-hundred foot circle.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2015

    Default Re: Living Fortress [IC]

    Mig-Mig unleashed a howl of pure rage, and his eyes burst into green flame. The fire spread across his entire body, dancing upon his armor, and he stood, a colossus cloaked in an emerald inferno on the horizon.

    The titan grasped the Harbinger, his mighty sword, and the virescent blaze engulfed the weapon. The dragon born of the Abyss spread his mighty wings, lit with the same lime glow. He beat his wings against the ground and the two soared through the air, with their allies on the living mountain.

    The titan opened his great maw, like a viridescent volcano. Three jade fireballs erupted from his mouth and flew towards three groups of soldiers now running away from Mig-Mig in cowardice. The flames exploded in a brilliant green conflagration as they hit the ground, burning the orcs alive.

    "BATTLE IT IS!"

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Fly 70 feet towards the orcs.

    Then, use Viridian Sunfire Devastation, drawing upon my soul's well of power to add an additional 2xStr mod damage and not halve damage. All damage is cosmic fire damage that ignores immunity/resistance. Each attack hits three continous squares at the same time.

    Well of Soul Power Recharge: (1d4)[1] rounds

    Attack 1:
    (1d20+19)[21]
    (6d8+97)[130]

    Attack 2:
    (1d20+14)[27]
    (6d8+97)[130]

    Attack 3:
    (1d20+9)[20]
    (6d8+97)[122]
    Currently Playing:
    Qianal Ai the Dragonborn Paladin/Barbarian in Sentinels of Houshen

    Doderic Took the Halfling Kensei in Falling Stars

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground
     
    DwarfClericGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: Living Fortress [IC]

    The orcs die like insects, nearly a dozen instantly incinerated. Still, the rest continue to flee.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    West End, Hampshire, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Living Fortress [IC]

    A tiny patch of shadow detaches from Mig-Mig's shoulder and streaks towards Keira straight as an arrow.

    Glimmershade comes to an abrupt halt next to her, showing no signs of exertion as he hovers in midair.

    "Need a lift to the real battle away from this son of a poxy grandma?

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Activating Travel Devotion so I can travel my speed as a swift action in addition to Running to reach Keira (5x my flight speed in a straight line)
    Green dialogue is in Orc.
    Last edited by Rattigan; 2016-07-25 at 05:24 AM.

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NineOfSpades's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Betwixt & Between

    Default Re: Living Fortress [IC]

    Keira nodded to Glimmershade as she approached the dragon, hardly sparing even a glance at the chieftain. She wasn’t yet done with him, but there would be time enough to deal with him later, after the battle was ended.Keira nodded to Glimmershade as she approached the dragon, hardly sparing even a glance at the chieftain. She wasn’t yet done with him, but there would be time enough to deal with him later, after the battle was ended. "Yes...and go with swiftness, I fear the battle may be ended already, and would hate to miss it"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •