New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Paladin of the Luck God?

So I just started a 5e campaign, and I was looking into playing a different kind of Paladin. Instead of worshiping the classics like Pelor/Kord I was going to try my hand at making a Paladin of Avandra/Tymora or really any one of the luck based Gods. Now, with Gods like Pelor it's easy to follow their tenants because they have clearly defined virtues; go out and spread Pelor's light to the masses and defeat evil, etc. But it's a bit harder with luck Gods because they tend to be a bit more neutral and uncaring of the human world.

So I'm wondering, if one were to try and play a character worshiping Tymora, what would some of the tenants be that they would need to follow?
    Last edited by BDRook; 2016-06-22 at 03:18 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Paladin of the Luck God?

Spread gambling and defeat cheaters

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Riffing off of the "cheaters" thing I'd say they could promote fair play. Working to promote an even playing field where luck matters, that kind of thing. Maybe seek to destroy people who alter fate for their own selfish gain.
    Punster, straight as an aro, collector of hats.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Unless Tymora's alignment changed (always a possibility), she's chaotic GOOD. She's also an enemy of gods like Bane, Cyric and other bad guys. In 3rd, she was huge on the whole thing of freeing people from tyranny. If this has change, obviously throw this suggestion out the window, but I would focus on her desire to see people free and safe from tyranny. Part of her third edition dogma was 'luck favors the bold', so make a character who is reckless and brave, finding evil to thwart so innocent people can lead happy lives.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ideas:
    - Spread a message of 'take chances, go big and trust in [deity]'
    - Cheating at a game of chance is like spitting on [deity]'s most sacred altar. Stop cheaters.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gone like the wind.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

For some reason the idea that struck me was a Paladin-as-sports-team-coach.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Spamalot in the Playground

Her dogma is pretty vague. Be bold and take risks, but she never suggests a course of action. Presumably they should be GOOD risks due to her alignment, but the dogma doesn't say.

Beshaba's edicts are ironically much clearer. Make bad things happen to people randomly and blame them on her; as fear of her grows, so too does her power, whether she was actually behind it or not. Kinda brilliant really.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

What counts as 'cheating', anyway?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by goto124 View Post
    What counts as 'cheating', anyway?
    I would assume robbing others at an equal chance at winning. Tests of skill become a bit more vague with this idea, but in games of chance like Poker or drawing straws it could be (literally) stacking the deck, hiding additional pieces, sabotaging a rival's preparations. Sure, there are strategies in these things, ways to improve your odds at winning the game overall, but each hand in poker is up to chance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Why would elves be better at detecting things? We all know that cats use their whiskers as part of their senses. Now compare elves and dwarves. Elves cannot grow facial hair. Dwarves have luxurious beards. Of course dwarves should be better at detecting stuff.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

But how does that apply to, say, fighting? Combat?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Ask yourself:
    What ought one do when one is lucky/fortunate?

I could see a Paladin of a Luck goddess/god going around and:
    1) Promoting taking risks to improve one's lot
    2) Teaching by example what one ought to do when one gets lucky/fortunate
    3) Help the unlucky/misfortunate so that they can get back into the game

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by goto124 View Post
    But how does that apply to, say, fighting? Combat?
    Bold, risky maneuvers. Critical threat range. Relying on being in the right place at the right time. The Paladin's Cha to saving throws being fluffed as divine luck rather than divine favor.

As far as cheating in combat, a Paladin of a deity of luck would promote fair play. All cards on the table at the start. That is to say, if it is agreed for there to be no poison, the paladin ensures poison is not used. In unplanned fights perhaps reciprocal escalation; fight with just mundane weapons unless the opponent uses magic or some other advantage, then switch to bigger guns, etc. If there is an opportunity for a big risk-big reward gambit, the paladin takes it; ie, suffer attacks of opportunity to advance on a foe; or, use the attack that has a 1-in-100 chance (nat 20 only success).
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Why would elves be better at detecting things? We all know that cats use their whiskers as part of their senses. Now compare elves and dwarves. Elves cannot grow facial hair. Dwarves have luxurious beards. Of course dwarves should be better at detecting stuff.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Halfling in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Good ideas one and all. I think I'm going to focus more on the "jumping into the middle of danger" and trusting luck to get me through it, rather than the punishing cheaters thing. Punishing a guy cheating at cards just seems kind of a petty thing for a messenger of God to worry about.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

You should borrow a line from the Luck Priests in Oglaf-- "Oh my odds!"