Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default The Elder Scrolls XI: Wouldn't Want To Be Elsweyr

You are taking us somewhere warm, I trust...

Welcome, one and all, to the eleventh thread for us to discuss, debate, and rag on our favorite series of Bethesda RPGs!

Current topics of discussion: Desired features for the Elder Scrolls VI, Carl the Altmer, Captain Morrowind, Enemy Design.

Previous threads:

Handy things For Skyrim:
    Official forums
    Perk calculator
    Some things you need to know about Skyrim
    The Wiki

Have at it!
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Elder Scrolls XI: Wouldn't Want To Be Elsweyr

As far as the discussion at the end of the previous thread regarding combat and opponents goes:
    I personally would prefer for the types and absolute strength of enemies found in an area to be largely independent of character level. If there's a cave that has goblins in it when you visit it as a low-level character and those goblins are only a moderate threat to your character at that time, going back to the cave as a high-level character should still result in finding those same goblins there, and those goblins should be something your high-level character should be able to brush aside as though they're not there, at least if the differential in absolute power between low- and high-level characters remains as high as it is in Morrowind and Oblivion. It also shouldn't be the case that when I went to that cave as a low-level character I encountered a mix of basic goblins and goblin skirmishers, a handful of goblin berserkers, and a warlord and a shaman but when I go back as a high-level character I find nothing but warlords. Having the distribution of enemy types change a little as my character gains levels is okay, but it needs to remain reasonably similar or have some rational justification for why the distribution of enemy types changes up so much, especially not in 'safe' areas like the island upon which the Imperial City stands, where something (in this case, the Imperial Legion) has successfully been preventing anything too dangerous from taking up residence for who knows how long before my character becomes active in the region.

3. - Top - End - #3

The weird thing is that by all rights, what is around the second time should be weaker than what was there to begin with. Since you will have driven off/killed whatever had been strong enough to push out the weaker enemies. And now those weaker ones have moved in.

At the same time having come to Oblivion straight after years of Pokemon, I figured they'd simply evolved.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

4. - Top - End - #4

The weird thing is that by all rights, what is around the second time should be weaker than what was there to begin with. Since you will have driven off/killed whatever had been strong enough to push out the weaker enemies. And now those weaker ones have moved in.
    While I agree, at least within limits, I don't really think it's that likely that we'd see something like that in a game; it's just much easier to have a single list of monsters that can populate the site and have the computer repopulate the dungeon from that list if it's been more than a certain amount of time since the dungeon was last visited. Still, graduating site repopulation so that weak monsters move in first followed by progressively stronger monsters up to whatever the defined maximum strength for the dungeon happens to be is not something that I would be at all upset to see, and something more complex where in-game factors produce a 'natural' equilibrium would, potentially, be even more interesting.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aeson View Post
    As far as the discussion at the end of the previous thread regarding combat and opponents goes:
    I personally would prefer for the types and absolute strength of enemies found in an area to be largely independent of character level. If there's a cave that has goblins in it when you visit it as a low-level character and those goblins are only a moderate threat to your character at that time, going back to the cave as a high-level character should still result in finding those same goblins there, and those goblins should be something your high-level character should be able to brush aside as though they're not there, at least if the differential in absolute power between low- and high-level characters remains as high as it is in Morrowind and Oblivion. It also shouldn't be the case that when I went to that cave as a low-level character I encountered a mix of basic goblins and goblin skirmishers, a handful of goblin berserkers, and a warlord and a shaman but when I go back as a high-level character I find nothing but warlords. Having the distribution of enemy types change a little as my character gains levels is okay, but it needs to remain reasonably similar or have some rational justification for why the distribution of enemy types changes up so much, especially not in 'safe' areas like the island upon which the Imperial City stands, where something (in this case, the Imperial Legion) has successfully been preventing anything too dangerous from taking up residence for who knows how long before my character becomes active in the region.
    Skyrim took some good steps to fixing this issue and Fallout 4 has taken even more steps towards it imo. Skyrim uses a combination of static, linear and level range for its enemies. For instance all of the dragons level linearly with you in the game where as Giants are set at a specific level and never get stronger while most of the dungeons in Skyrim have level ranges. If you enter a dungeon with a level range of 10-20 at level 50 you'll only encounter enemies that are level 20. It was still a bit clunky in Skyrim and felt closer to Oblivions system but for Fallout 4 it definitely feels like they've gotten the whole system more refined.

6. - Top - End - #6

SkyRe has an option to sort of fix scaling, but it does it by imposing a minimum level for certain areas. Broken Dang Cave for example is something like a level 20 area.

7. - Top - End - #7

Spoiler: Carltmer: In Which I Swim in Sewage and Read Books
    Show
    Allow me to say, first off, sewers suck. I could wash these boots a thousand times and never get the smell out, and every time I put them on I'm going to think about the squish squelch of tromping through the collected sewage of a hundred thousand people.

And friggin' Baurus, with his cheerful whistling, didn't help. Yes, Baurus, we were on our way to steal a book and kill some of the people who killed the emperor; could you at least pretend to be less enthusiastic about premeditated murder?

Thus far, things had been alright. Because Baurus apparently had only two speeds--slow, and slower--I ran ahead and did all I could to clear the sewers of any enemies. That was mostly rats and mudcrabs, which were not a problem, and goblins, which were. Each one of them was… more annoying than dangerous, as I had enough potions to simply outlast the damage they did, but they didn’t even seem to notice the fact that I was shoving a sword through them. After I'd exhausted my supply of magicka, I counted how many slashes with a daedric sword to whittle down their health. 35-40, depending on how accurate I was with my fireballs.

Finally, Baurus caught up with me towards the end of the sewers. He paused, eyebrow raised. "What are you doing with that rat?"

I cast another weak restoration spell and finally ended the rat's miserable attempts to gnaw through my ankles. "Trying out different techniques for rolling with attacks."

"With rats?"

"Eh, you need to get your start somewhere."

There was silence for a few seconds, before Baurus shook his head. "Anyway. The room is right through here. I always wondered who put the table and chair down here… There's an overlook, up the stairs there. I'm going to go in, posing as our mark. You're going to go upstairs and be my backup in case things go south."

"Okay, that's not happening."
    "What?"

"Let's list all the ways your plan is stupid. Do we send in A) The badass wizard wearing a full set of enchanted glass armor and wielding daedric weapons, or B) the man who's wearing a tunic and boots?"

Baurus scowled. "It is my duty as one of the Blades to--"

"Not finished yet, B. Keep in mind that B) is also a man who has been stalking the Mythic Dawn for what is now four weeks, who is known to them because of it, and who, not two days ago, the Mythic Dawn sent a cult member to kill."

"…Fine. You go in, and I'll take backup."

With that set, I pulled the three books out of my backpack, and casually walked through the door as if I owned it.

I would say the room's furnishing were spartan, but in order for there to be furnishings, I think you need to have more than one of each. I looked around, tossed the books on the table, and sat down. Mentally, I was preparing the hardest hitting spell I could cast, holding the energies in my mind until my fingers tingled. When the guy came out, I was just about ready to blast him in his stupid Sponsor face.

But nooo, he wanted to draw this out, make sure that I understood what an honor, a privilege, it was to awake to the goodness of Mehrunes Dagon. Eugh. Somebody kill me now.

Fortunately, Baurus had completely no lack of stealth, so when the red-coated doofus noticed him standing on the overlook, Red Doof went from "Intimidate the noobie" to "Murder their treacherous asses" in less time than it takes to say the sentence, and called in two lackies to help wail on us.

Fortunately, we were able to murder their asses right back at them. And the Boss Doof even had the book on his possession, as well as an awesome ring that, on further examination, looked like it would block a lot of the magic being slung at me. (Idly, I wondered whether I could find a second one and become immune to magic.)

Baurus told me that he was going to head to Cloud Ruler Temple, and that I should take the book back to Tar-Meena, to see if she could help with interpretation.

I did so, but not before I took a bath.

Tar-Meena wrinkled her snout at me as I came in, but didn't comment on the various flecks that hadn't scrubbed out of the joints of my armor. "You have the book, do you?"

"Yup," I sighed. "All four of them. I read a bit of them, and all I can say is that Mankar Camoran is… of dubious sanity, to say the least."

"Yes, the supposed leader of the Mythic Dawn cult. He's a fascinating writer. Indubitably insane, but fascinating. He would have been contemporary with Tiber Septim, so he's unlikely to still be around."

A chill went down my spine as I thought of all the undead I'd killed. There was no way I wasn't fighting that guy sometime down the line. That's just the kind of humor the universe has when it comes to me.

Tar-Meena continued as if she hadn't noticed me freeze in place. "You've managed to pique my curiosity. I'll think on the puzzle. Give me a day or two, and I'll get back to you."

A few days, huh? Well, if I had to stay in the area, I might as well get to know it a bit better. First on the row of exploring was Sinkhole Cave. True to form, literally the day after I dropped some money on finishing up my set of glass armor, I found an entire cave's worth of bandits, maybe 80% of which were wearing glass armor pieces.

From there, I decided to explore the east coast of the lake surrounding the Imperial City. Fort Urasek looked interesting, but when I found goblins inside and out, I wrote it off as being not worth exploring, as somehow, I just don't find normal goblins anymore; it's all tunnels with fifty warlords and shamans, with no underlings to boss around. And since goblins usually had crap treasure anyway, I moved on.

Wellspring Cave was also interesting, in that it looked like there was a rogeu member of the Mages Guild who'd lived her briefly, but was out of the neighborhood at present. There was a bed, and a small table adorned with alchemy goods, but no wizard. Huh. Go figure.

Fort Magia was more exciting, with skeletons, wraiths, and liches popping up all over the place. I actually saw a new kind of wraith, something called a Gloom Wraith. Other than the constant fighting for my life, it was actually kind of relaxing.

What has my life become?

Since it was dark when I left the fort, I headed back into town and rented a room from Luthor Broad. I passed the time from then until morning alternating between meditation and reading the commentaries. What a loonie…

Tar-Meena had this to share: "I managed to turn up a few copies of the books from my colleagues, and spent some time rereading them. Often, mystic orders concealed messages in the first words of their sacred texts. A message may be hidden there."

Yes, I'd noticed that. The spacing and paragraphs in the books were odd, to say the least. You might have one paragraph that went on for pages at a time, and then have three sentences, each with their own paragraph. And the first letters of each paragraph had ornate calligraphy pecked out in blood red, while the rest were simple serif-ed black text.

First words, huh? I pulled the books from my bag and laid them across the benches, so I could record what each ornate first word said on a sheet of paper.

Greetings
    Reader
    Enter
    Every
    Night
    Enter
    My
    Palace
    Endlessly
    Roaring
    Offering
    Red-Drink
    Whosoever
    Answers
    Your
    Whisper
    Hides
    Enraptured
    Recorded
    Enslaved
    The
    Oath-breakers
    Woe
    Every
    Reader
    That
    Once
    Understood
    Chim
    He
    Endeth
    Starlight
    May
    I
    Deathlessly
    Deny
    All
    Your
    Suns
    Under
    Nothing.

Well, that was a whole lot of nothing. I frowned, and turned the books on their side. Why were the letters red? Why have three paragraphs in a row with nothing but one sentence in each?

I squinted, then my eyes widened. "Tar-Meena!"

Green Emperor Way, Where Tower Touches Midday Sun. That's why the red letters. Why the three paragraphs. So that friggin Mankar Camoran could

I sat next to the imperial palace, occasionally shielding my eyes against the near-noonday sun. It shone through the clouds, which I hoped wouldn't affect the… Whatever was going to happen.

A guard wandered by and asked whether I needed anything. I waved him off, and checked the hourglass. Any minute now, something would happen…

The hourglass turned. Noon. Any second now.

Any second now.

Huh. Maybe I needed to be somewhere else? I squinted at the top of the tower, and, never letting my eyes off it, wandered off the dais of the palace and down towards the graveyard surrounding it, until the sun touched the tower.

When I looked up, I was in front of a tomb. And before my eyes, the tomb's carved surface began to glow red, showing a map of Cyrodil. And there, just north of Cheydinhal, a sharp cross.

Well, I knew where I was heading now. That's right! Leyawiin! And Bravil, so I could get in the Mage's Guild!

Because now that I knew where they were, it was sidequest time.
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

8. - Top - End - #8

ClericGirl

At this point in the game, I completely flipped out - I thought it was something at the top of the White-Gold Tower itself.

Anyway, I'm sort of amazed you found the correct location without resorting to Tar-Meena handing you a convenient arrow; I found this part of the game so point-and-clickishly convoluted that I rechristened the Dawn "the Order of the National Treasure."

Yay Mages Guild! I don't remember what the Bravil Mages Guild quest is, to be frank. Either it's really cool, or the really cool quest is ancillary but has to do with Mages Guild members. Or maybe the one I'm thinking of is in Leyawiin, in which case it's definitely a minor quest. Well. Humor the mages in South Nibenay, is what I'm saying.
    Last edited by DomaDoma; 2016-06-23 at 08:21 PM.
    Don't blame me. I voted for Kodos.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    Because now that I knew where they were, it was sidequest time.
    Spoken like a true adventurer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

10. - Top - End - #10

"Yes, the supposed leader of the Mythic Dawn cult. He's a fascinating writer. Indubitably insane, but fascinating. He would have been contemporary with Tiber Septim, so he's unlikely to still be around."
    This brings up something relevant to the discussion regarding Mankar Camoran the son of the Camoran Usurper and Mankar Camoran the leader of the Mythic Dawn that I didn't recall at the time that that discussion was under way:
    Spoiler
    Show
    If what Tar-Meena says about Mankar Camoran the leader of the Mythic Dawn being contemporary with Tiber Septim is accurate, that puts him at about 400 years old, possibly older; Tiber Septim died in 3E38 or so and Oblivion, or at least its main quest, takes place in 3E433. If The Refugees is accurate, Mankar Camoran the son of Haymon Camoran the Camoran Usurper was born at around the same time as the battle near Dwynnen in which the Camoran Usurper was defeated, which according to The Fall of the Usurper took place in 3E267 - in other words, more than 200 years too late for Mankar Camoran the son of Haymon Camoran to have been a contemporary of Tiber Septim, barring time travel.

Yay Mages Guild! I don't remember what the Bravil Mages Guild quest is, to be frank. Either it's really cool, or the really cool quest is ancillary but has to do with Mages Guild members. Or maybe the one I'm thinking of is in Leyawiin, in which case it's definitely a minor quest. Well. Humor the mages in South Nibenay, is what I'm saying.
    Spoiler: Bravil recommendation
    Show
    Get somebody to admit to stealing a mage's staff due to being bitter that the mage from whom he stole it doesn't seem to appreciate his attention, then go recover it from the person to whom the thief sold it.

Spoiler: Leyawiin recommendation
    Show
    Track down the missing amulet of the local guildhall boss and reveal that it was stolen by another guild member looking to discredit the boss so as to open up a path for personal advancement.

I don't really think that either was all that interesting, but the Leyawiin one, to me, was a more interesting fetch quest both in what you actually do to fetch the item and in the story around the quest than the Bravil one.

The leader of the Bravil Mages' Guild does have another quest that I thought was somewhat interesting:
    Spoiler: Through a Nightmare, Darkly
    Show
    A friend of the head of the local guildhall has been experimenting with dangerous magic and trapped himself in a dream, and the guild boss wants to help him without drawing attention to what he's done because what he did could get him expelled from the Mages' Guild, so you get to go into a nightmare/dreamworld and solve a few puzzles so as to allow the guy to wake up.

11. - Top - End - #11

ClericGirl

Yep, that's the one I meant. Bravil it is, then.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by DomaDoma View Post
    At this point in the game, I completely flipped out - I thought it was something at the top of the White-Gold Tower itself.

Anyway, I'm sort of amazed you found the correct location without resorting to Tar-Meena handing you a convenient arrow; I found this part of the game so point-and-clickishly convoluted that I rechristened the Dawn "the Order of the National Treasure."
    Well, I wish I could say that I came by it entirely by myself, at the same time. After Baurus got his fool ass killed in the fight with the Mythic Dawn on the first run, I looked for the article on the wiki to see if it was a scripted death or if I could keep him alive. And the clue from the book was right there. From there, it was actually a day or so before I figured out where to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    Spoken like a true adventurer.
    Well of course. Side quests are where all the fun treasure is.

13. - Top - End - #13

Well of course. Side quests are where all the fun treasure is.
    Indeed, and there is no nobler pursuit than the pursuit of shinies to add to your dragonesque hoard of valuables back home.

14. - Top - End - #14

Speaking of Shinies, holy crap, Umbra. High damage, useful enchantment, and a badass design? And all I have to do for it is kill a confessed murderess, and piss off a daedric lord.

Hmm. Decision time. Do I want the awesome, weightless super-sword, or do I want the mask that does practically nothing for me? Decisions, decisions...

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Well, I wish I could say that I came by it entirely by myself, at the same time. After Baurus got his fool ass killed in the fight with the Mythic Dawn on the first run, I looked for the article on the wiki to see if it was a scripted death or if I could keep him alive. And the clue from the book was right there. From there, it was actually a day or so before I figured out where to go.
    I found that puzzle easy, even without help. The big red caps in the book are a dead giveaway, and it's quite a common trick in real life. (That is to say, I've heard of it happening several times. Usually by newspaper editors as a private joke, but I think I've heard of whole books using it.)

I'm impressed you managed to keep Baurus alive at your level. I generally figure, if I'm more than about level 10 when I go into that quest, it's a ridiculous lotta work to save him.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

16. - Top - End - #16
    Colossus in the Playground

Spoiler: Give me liberty or give me death!
    Show

As I traveled to the smuggler's den, I noticed that the local plants were strange. Mushrooms that seemed to be naturally purple bloomed in abundance in the semi-swampy land of Morrowind. Were they safe to eat? I collected them for after the den. Where I would ask a local if they were safe to eat.

As I entered the cave where the smugglers called home, I felt a little fear. Despite what they said I was no warrior. Clutching my bow like a 5 year old clutched their stuffed animal, I swallowed my fear and entered the cave.

The first battle went well, managing to peg the grey elf.... dark elf. With a single arrow before she closed in melee, she fell to merely a couple of mace strikes. As her blood pooled at my feet I suppressed a shiver. She was a slaver. She deserved to die. I just had to be the one to do it.... Checking the corpse for anything useful, I found I couldn't touch the areas where my mace had struck... Yet I could touch the arrow wound.... I found a key, figuring if she was wearing it it was probably important for something in here I took it.

A little more in, and I think the nerds call him a mage. One of them shouted at me to halt, I dodged his first spell, and his second spell... I think it made me slightly more likely to get the sniffles. But his third spell. He lit me on fire. The sheer shock and agony as my skin burned ruined my concentration letting him hit me with a fourth spell, similar to the third.

I thought this was it. I was about to die. How... Would my parents ever know? Deep within me, this wintery power started to course within me as I confronted my own morality, this cold tendril ran down my left hand, as I instinctively reached forward blasting the dark elf mage with a blast of icy power.... Had I become Elsa?

There was no time for those thoughts. I needed to make sure I didn't let my organs go. Stumbling back to town I went to Arrille's again. Hoping that he would have knowledge of healing magic.

He did.... But turns out, I'm not a master magician. After failing twice, I felt... Spiritually tapped out, would be the best way to describe it. Thankfully Arrille saw my problems and sold me a couple of healing scrolls on the cheap. Using one I immediately felt my organs knitting back together. Oh gods, that was a close one.

Walking back to the slavers cave I lunged forward taking care of the last slaver easily, she threw ninja stars at me, and while those were painful, they were nothing compared to being SET ON FIRE! The realization of that finally hit me, shock and denial is a hell of a drug.

I freed the three slaves they currently had, and they were more then thankful as I helped myself to all the items the smugglers had well. Smuggled. Nothing I could really use, but I could sell it to Arrille.

Apparently! Some of the stuff the Smugglers had was illegal! Besides the slaves, I mean. This moon sugar, and Skooma. Arrille said that since I helped his friend he wouldn't rat me out. However, he couldn't be caught dealing with me while I had them. So I put them on the floor and we continued our business. It is my god given right to partake of Moon sugar and Skooma if I want to! What the hell Morrowind!

So. As soon as our business was finished, I found the nearest guard.

It was my god given right! So right in front of him I took 10... servings? Of Moon sugar! And then 2 skooma jars. The guard looked at me like I was a mad woman! And maybe I was mad! Mad for FREEDOM!

That's when I started vomiting my organs. At least I think it was organs. There was red. That was blood, then pink fleshy stuff. The guard proceeded to lead me to the closest wall to give me some privacy, there as I vomited my very necessary organs, he held my hair so it wasn't in my face.

“Now I'm not going to arrest you, but even if Seyda Neen had a healer, I wouldn't fetch him for you, because then you wouldn't learn anything.” Those were the last words I heard from him, because as soon as my body stopped rebelling, he left there to do his duty.

Little did he know that I was a healer in theory! And as my organs tried to leave my body, my spirit felt fulfilled, by giving Morrowind a taste of freedom!

The elation swiftly died when the spell failed to work again!

Ah well. Let's get to Balmora.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

As an example: in the recent journal entry, I came up against a pair of goblin warlords. Due to a combination of enchanted gear and my own innate powers as an Apprentice Altmer, I have over six hundred magicka, and can use that to deal something like 560 damage on a target. That wasn't enough to bring one of them down, and then it took 35 hits with a daedric sword to finish them off. And in Skyrim it seems like every draugr you meet is going to be a deathlord, requiring you to beat on them with your dragonbone swords for minutes at a time. It's annoying, immersion breaking, and I can only hope that it changes.
    Yeah, I know what you mean and I agree - in Oblivion it's particularly jarring, because that's yet another of the myriad ways in which Oblivion's levelling is hopelessly broken. If I recall aright, the levelled treasures in Oblivion cap out at level 20 or 21, so personally I always treated the game as having an effective level cap at about level 25 - it's simply not designed to play beyond that point. But of course there's nothing in-game to suggest that, except that the whole world gradually becomes Point Lookout...

But I haven't had the same experience in Skyrim. When I'm level 40 or so there, I can take down any draugr deathlord in a matter of seconds. I simply don't recognise your account of whaling on them for minutes at a time.

I'm rather afraid I've overlevelled my character, at level 20, in my current Morrowind playthrough. Dagoth Ur was easy to defeat (he always is, that fight is oddly anti-climactic - the climax is coming out of the dungeon and seeing the clear sky over Red Mountain, that still gives me a rush) - and honestly, nothing seems much of a challenge any more. I think Tribunal and Bloodmoon could also be too much of a walkover at this point. It's not so much the levels as the stats - spoiled by Oblivion, I've been making sure I had good stat gains at every level, and all my stats are pretty inflated by now.
    Last edited by veti; 2016-06-24 at 02:48 AM.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I have never played any of the other Elder Scrolls games except for Skyrim. I really need to change that.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Sharoth View Post
    I have never played any of the other Elder Scrolls games except for Skyrim. I really need to change that.
    Steam sale has Morrowind and Oblivion on sale (with full DLC) for $9 and $11 respectively right now.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Oh, I OWN them all. I just have not taken the time to play them.

21. - Top - End - #21

ClericGirl

Ah, the clue was easy enough. It was finding the right location in Green Emperor Way that made me tear my hair out.

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Sharoth View Post
    It is a great idea, but I'm really wondering if finding new mods for Skyrim might be better. I loved Oblivion, realized Skyrim fixed most of Oblivion's issues, and really haven't gotten into Morrowind (got it on sale last year).

Before playing Oblivion, figure out how you are going to fix [i.e. mod] the broken advancement/skill system. The biggest issue is that using your "primary" skills will nerf you (brilliant move, Bethesda). You then have to figure out ways to find unimportant "primary" skills and then carefully (depending on how close to stock you are) level them up only after leveling up skills that increase your important stats. For the nine's sake, at least use the "advance by 5s" mod, or better yet a mod that actually fixes the problem (unfortunately, I have no recommendations).

I also remember spending way too much time doing stupid leveling tricks (standing around being nibbled by rats, beating up a ewe, jumping off cliffs) that never seemed to happen in Skyrim (except for the skill grinds, such as the slow process of turning iron ore into smithing skill (i.e. gold rings)). This is probably not nearly as important as I thought it was, but you can easily lust over higher levels in Oblivion than in Skyrim. The other issues are avoiding the many OP tricks (such as stacking spells). When choosing your Oblivion overhaul, make careful note about how much ability grind you want to do.

I've seen a few guides for Morrowind, but it seems more extreme than Oblivion. Also, forget about your compass. Prepare to spend your days awandering.

23. - Top - End - #23

Mushrooms that seemed to be naturally purple bloomed in abundance in the semi-swampy land of Morrowind. Were they safe to eat? I collected them for after the den. Where I would ask a local if they were safe to eat.
    All of the local flora and fauna in the Seyda Neen area is edible raw, though consumption of Rat Meat, Scales (from slaughterfish), Hypha Facia, Bungler's Bane, Spore Pods, and Coda Flowers is not recommended due to the short-term detrimental effects that ingestion of these can have if consumed raw. Caution is advised when preparing stews or other preparations of samples of a variety of local flora and fauna; in particular, a preparation of Violet Coprinus and Luminous Russula is regarded as very detrimental to your health, though oddly this is not known to the State of California.

Hmm. Decision time. Do I want the awesome, weightless super-sword, or do I want the mask that does practically nothing for me? Decisions, decisions...
    Clearly you want the rather hideous mask that does nothing for you, rather than the decent-looking one-handed weightless sword (note: I'm pretty sure that the sword ceases to be weightless once you turn in the quest, if you decide to keep the sword). It's a nice sword, though some of the other artifacts offer better damage per strike and Umbra's enchantment is kind of wasted on a primary weapon rather than something you open a fight with and then switch to another weapon.

A minor spoiler for the main quest, but maybe not something you'll care too much about:
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's useful to have a Daedric artifact that you don't care about losing once you get to a certain point in the main quest, a point which isn't too much further along than where you are.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Aeson View Post
    Clearly you want the rather hideous mask that does nothing for you, rather than the decent-looking one-handed weightless sword (note: I'm pretty sure that the sword ceases to be weightless once you turn in the quest, if you decide to keep the sword). It's a nice sword, though some of the other artifacts offer better damage per strike and Umbra's enchantment is kind of wasted on a primary weapon rather than something you open a fight with and then switch to another weapon.
    I'm actually considering installing a mod that allows you to disenchant items, or add additional effects onto them. Does anyone have experience with the Enchantment Mastery mod? Basically, as your mysticism goes up, you can put more enchantments on each piece you wear. So I might have a Ring of Protection with all of the [elemental] Shields, plus some Magic resistance and magic absorption. I could turn Umbra into a powerful weapon in its own right with some Sigil Stones of Absorb Mana or Fire damage.

Still thinking about this because it's kind of a doozy of a mod, both in terms of lore and effect on play. Then again, if it means that I actually get through fights more often...

A minor spoiler for the main quest, but maybe not something you'll care too much about:
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's useful to have a Daedric artifact that you don't care about losing once you get to a certain point in the main quest, a point which isn't too much further along than where you are.
    Already have a plan for that. The Black Market mod, for some reason, has Azura's Star among the soul gems you can buy. It's a bit gimmicky, but I'm planning on buying one just for the purposes of giving it to Martin.
    Last edited by Balmas; 2016-06-24 at 02:06 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

So, if they're going to Elsweyr, how do you figure they're going to handle the variety of Khajjit?
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Two Tales of Tellene, available from DriveThruFiction
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Avatar is from local user Mehangel
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

26. - Top - End - #26

Probably drop a moon on it, and wipe out the species they don't want to animate.

27. - Top - End - #27

As someone who usually plays a stealth character of some description, it's amazing how much faster Skyrim is when you dispense with the sneaking around and just at people with Heavy Armor and big weapon. Though I will say that I had never noticed how weird some of the Two-Handed kill-cams look, especially the animation for beheading someone with a greatsword.
    Add me on Steam!
    Steam ID: tfblackdrop

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28

Speaking of Shinies, holy crap, Umbra. High damage, useful enchantment, and a badass design? And all I have to do for it is kill a confessed murderess, and piss off a daedric lord.

You can get Umbra right at the start if you're careful and fast.

Spoiler
    Show
    The lady who has it is there from the beginning of the game. Go in, agro her. Get her to chase you. Run/swim back to the Imperial City. Run in circles until the guards kill her. Loot her corpse.

Hircine's armor is pretty easy to get if you don't want the Unicorn for a mount.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by wumpus View Post
    Before playing Oblivion, figure out how you are going to fix [i.e. mod] the broken advancement/skill system. The biggest issue is that using your "primary" skills will nerf you (brilliant move, Bethesda). You then have to figure out ways to find unimportant "primary" skills and then carefully (depending on how close to stock you are) level them up only after leveling up skills that increase your important stats. For the nine's sake, at least use the "advance by 5s" mod, or better yet a mod that actually fixes the problem (unfortunately, I have no recommendations).
    Realistic Leveling is probably one of the better advancement mods. It just causes skill growth to grow your attributes and levels automatically without having to go to the levelling screen. It tweaks a few other things like health applying retroactively every time you gain endurance and your races starting skills will affect the starting stats you have. Really the biggest thing it changes is luck scales with your fame/infamy and level which I'm fine with. Bonus points because it can be used on an existing character.

30. - Top - End - #30

health applying retroactively every time you gain endurance
    Honestly? I kind of like the fact that in Morrowind and Oblivion your attribute history matters for your character's health. Granted, with all the issues Oblivion has with leveling, it's probably not the worst thing to see go.

I almost wish they'd done the same thing for the magicka pool, except then spellcasting characters in Morrowind would probably have been even more short of magicka early on and magic might've become a lot harder to develop as a secondary skillset later in the game (in both Oblivion and Morrowind; maybe not the worst thing in the world, though, having a system in place that makes it so that people who start out as spellcasters remain better spellcasters in at least some ways even when you're far enough into the game and have been getting as many perfect levels as you can that you're at or near 100 in all the attributes and skills you care anything about).

Probably drop a moon on it, and wipe out the species they don't want to animate.
    Or "they disappeared mysteriously when the moons vanished and haven't yet come back," or "those varieties stopped being born when the moons vanished and it's been long enough since any were born that those varieties have all but vanished from Tamriel."

Maybe also "Pahmar? Senche? You believed those stories about our trained lions and tigers actually being Khajiit? Alfiq? You mean you actually took housecats to be Khajiit?" or explained them as stories arising from mistranslation, misinformation, tall tales, rumors, and legend rather than as factual varieties of khajiit (or, while the varieties may exist, the differences between these varieties and the more human- or elf-like khajiit varieties may not be nearly as extreme as is suggested in some of the background material).

Alternatively, the Thalmor have decided to "purify" the Khajiit and so the varieties of Khajiit which are less elf-like have been subjected to a purge, and any remaining have fled or are so well hidden that you'll never encounter one in the game, which conveniently enough means that the programmers only need to worry about making the humans-in-cat-suits varieties of Khajiit seen in Oblivion and Skyrim as opposed to the variety seen in Morrowind that has a different stance and walking animation from the basic human/elf model and was unable to wear full helms and all types of footwear.

Another alternative is that it'll just go without explanation, much like how Cyrodiil is, in many of the in-game resources, described as being covered in equatorial rainforest and tropical/subtropical jungle but in Oblivion looks more like it's in a temperate zone.