New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: Iron Chef Optimisation Challenge in the Playground LXXIX

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    LA wasn't a thing in 3.0. You just weren't supposed to play monsters.

I believe the alternate form ability worked differently under 3.0 rules. Also, the damage reduction was higher. Probably some other differences too. You can find the 3.0 version here.
    I'm comparing them, and his lycanthrope just looks like a normal were-nifern with -1 buyoff.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Iron Chef Optimisation Challenge in the Playground LXXIX

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Just out of curiosity (as I don't see any in the entries, unless I'm missing something) - would Quasilycanthrope actually satisfy the reqs for BBH?

My argument for the affirmative would be as follows:

Size and Type: The base creature's type does not change, but the creature gains the shapechanger subtype. The lycanthrope takes a few characteristics of some type of carnivorous or omnivorous creature of the animal type (referred to hereafter as the base animal).
    Any thoughts? Would quasilycanthropehave been a legal entry?

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

Quasilycanthropes are not actually lycanthropes.
    When a latent quasilycanthrope is exposed to the curse of lycanthropy and fails its saving throw (see the Lycanthrope entry in the Monster Manual), it does not become an actual lycanthrope; instead, its quasilycanthrope abilities emerge.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Well, even if they have "Quasi" on their names, they still have "Lycanthrope".

You'd be hammered into pieces for not qualifying to use a good chunk of the class features, though.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

eek Re: Iron Chef Optimisation Challenge in the Playground LXXIX

Yeah, that's pretty much what I figured - either it would be legal, but unable to use a bunch of BBH features; or ruled entirely unable to meet reqs for the SI.

I was trying to weigh up only having LA +1 as an upside - but since I had to eat 4 level of Battle Dancer to qualify for Vile Natural Attack without losing BAB, that only left 5 levels to play with (if I wanted to complete BBH).

All in all, aside from not having the time IRL to format an entry, I wasn't overly happy with the build...

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ettin in the Playground

While our judges look over the builds, what does everyone think of Fang of Sseth as an ingredient? Entry isn't too hard, and it offers some abilities to work with. It's more playable than some of our other ingredients, but I think it's still difficult enough to be interesting.
    Last edited by The Viscount; 2016-07-23 at 02:01 PM.
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Viscount View Post
    While our judges look over the builds, what does everyone think of Fang of Sseth as an ingredient? Entry isn't too hard, and it offers some abilities to work with. It's more playable than some of our other ingredients, but I think it's still difficult enough to be interesting.
    Obscure Setting book, when we have recently have had a lot of setting-specific classes ... I'm inclined to say no thanks :p

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

I think it's kinda too bland, and we did get two really bland classes in a row before this round, both of which had nearly no entries, so I don't really think it's a good idea.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Iron Chef Optimisation Challenge in the Playground LXXIX

Peronally - I'd love to see this as an ingredient. As with BBH, I'm not normally a huge fan of FR specific PrCs, but I do love "monstrous" PrCs. Although I see you can enter as a stock standard human, though...

However, as it has a few similarities in theme to BBH, maybe wait a few rounds first.

I'm just gonna throw Dragon Samurai out there again, since I don't think anyone can actually make a dish out of it that wouldn't be better off without it - a true challenge!

10. - Top - End - #160
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I don't think Fang of Sseth is bland - to my way of thinking, the current ingredient is less innately flavorful than the FoSs - but that 8th level ability is a poorly-worded nightmare.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    I don't think Fang of Sseth is bland - to my way of thinking, the current ingredient is less innately flavorful than the FoSs - but that 8th level ability is a poorly-worded nightmare.
    Hmm, hadn't noticed that.

Way it's worded, it would seem to be a one-shot ability, that lasts 8 hours and then it's gone.

If you were to rule it as a 1/day ability, it's a bit overpowered. It's like Darkstalker + HiPS on steroids.

Although, you would be ECL 15 by the time it came online, so maybe it's reasonable as a 1/day deal.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    I say it's bland in that there's not a lot of space for customization. Just like Risen Martyr(peaceful guy who's immune to everything) and Great Rift Skyguard(Crazy Skydiving Dwarf), Fang of Sseth has only one path to take: sneak-attacking snake-dude. Of course, there are plenty of ways to optimize Sneak Attack, and even more ways to optimize Poison Use(I'm looking at you, Mr. Muschi), they will all come down to really the same thing. Actually, in mentioning that build, I just recalled that there were three or four rounds where the SI was pretty much just a different flavored version of this class. I think it could be interesting to see how people would come up with something original to do this one, but I'm afraid that it would cause people to flee, and turn it into another five-person round.

I think that for now, we should try and get something in a middle ground, not as customizable as this mess, but also not something with a complete lack of customization potential.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sian View Post
    Obscure Setting book, when we have recently have had a lot of setting-specific classes ... I'm inclined to say no thanks :p
    If we were to go for another setting-specific PrC, I'd rather see Bayushi Deceiver. There's nothing all that wrong with Fang of Sseth apart from Enhanced Ranged Attacks and Serpent Shape not really jiving together, but nor is there anything all that right with it apart from the super invisibility which I read as an at-will SLA that you just have after experiencing the dream.

I'll take this opportunity to echo my standard refrain of Beast Heart Adept, Elocater, and Rage Mage and add Oozemaster, Eye of Gruumsh, Defiant, and Doomlord.
    Last edited by WhamBamSam; 2016-07-23 at 08:39 PM.

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sir Driscoll Conia - Silver - IC L

Nick Snarespan - Gold - IC LIII

Lucy "Legs" Silvertail - Bronze - IC LXVIII

Bolfarg of Knoss - Gold - IC LXXVII

Ivarr Deathborn - Bronze - IC LXXVII

Ahmtel - Silver - IC LXXVIII

Tocke of Nessus - Gold - IC LXXIX

The Blessed Third - Silver - IC LXXXI

Galahad Galapagos - Gold - IC LXXXIV

Sai-don, Knight of the Tide - Bronze - IC LXXXIV

14. - Top - End - #164
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Peronally - I'd love to see this as an ingredient. As with BBH, I'm not normally a huge fan of FR specific PrCs, but I do love "monstrous" PrCs. Although I see you can enter as a stock standard human, though...

However, as it has a few similarities in theme to BBH, maybe wait a few rounds first.

I'm just gonna throw Dragon Samurai out there again, since I don't think anyone can actually make a dish out of it that wouldn't be better off without it - a true challenge!
    Anyone wanna sidebet for highest breathweapon damage?

15. - Top - End - #165
    Troll in the Playground

I'd be down for Dragon Samurai, though how worthwhile the class ends up being depends largely on certain rules clarifications.

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    Anyone wanna sidebet for highest breathweapon damage?
    It's a 1/day nova with no metabreath compatibility; I'd be surprised if someone managed to scavenge something good out of that trash.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MisterKaws View Post
    It's a 1/day nova with no metabreath compatibility; I'd be surprised if someone managed to scavenge something good out of that trash.
    I'd prefer to avoid speculation, but there's at least one workaround to each of those issues, possibly more depending on rules interpretations.

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

I'm still hoping for Yathrinshee. I suppose it'd be cruel even by IC standards, though...
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by WhamBamSam View Post
    I'd prefer to avoid speculation, but there's at least one workaround to each of those issues, possibly more depending on rules interpretations.
    I do know most of them from my time optimizing Karcerers and DFA's, but still, doing most of them is just asking for an elegance penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post
    I'm still hoping for Yathrinshee. I suppose it'd be cruel even by IC standards, though...
    That class is reasonably good, though. You can still get 8th-level spells with no cheese, and even more if you don't mind triggering a lactose-intolerant judge.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Troll in the Playground

I do know most of them from my time optimizing Karcerers and DFA's, but still, doing most of them is just asking for an elegance penalty.
    The workaround to the 1/day issue that I'm certain works isn't inelegant at all in and of itself, though it might lead me to do other, less elegant things. Metabreath workarounds are inherently a bit cheesy, but they're also pretty much a permanent fixture of all DFA optimization.

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WhamBamSam View Post
    If we were to go for another setting-specific PrC, I'd rather see Bayushi Deceiver. There's nothing all that wrong with Fang of Sseth apart from Enhanced Ranged Attacks and Serpent Shape not really jiving together, but nor is there anything all that right with it apart from the super invisibility which I read as an at-will SLA that you just have after experiencing the dream.

I'll take this opportunity to echo my standard refrain of Beast Heart Adept, Elocater, and Rage Mage and add Oozemaster, Eye of Gruumsh, Defiant, and Doomlord.
    I'm not saying Fang of Sseth has to be the next ingredient, just putting it out there. I'd readily cook with any and all of the above ingredients listed here.

Dragon Shaman is horrid, but I'd want to find something to do with it.

On the subject of Yathrinshee, I would rather we not have that. It's too close to true necromancer, and it's not going to allow almost any variety in the build (5 levels divine class, 3 levels arcane class, 10 levels SI, 2 LA, race locked), and the notable class features (threnody and curse of the revenancer) need to be clarified to work, and the latter of which brings the class down enormously without a DM gift.
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

Yikes - Yathrinshee has so many reqs!

Still, I have a a (very inelgant) build in mind I could put in for it.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Troll in the Playground

I'm not saying Fang of Sseth has to be the next ingredient, just putting it out there. I'd readily cook with any and all of the above ingredients listed here.

Dragon Shaman is horrid, but I'd want to find something to do with it.
    Fair enough. I could see it being an okay round at some point, though MisterKaws might be right about it being too confining for a particularly diverse round.

I actually think that Dragon Samurai might not be that bad depending on certain rules interpretations.

On the subject of Yathrinshee, I would rather we not have that. It's too close to true necromancer, and it's not going to allow almost any variety in the build (5 levels divine class, 3 levels arcane class, 10 levels SI, 2 LA, race locked), and the notable class features (threnody and curse of the revenancer) need to be clarified to work, and the latter of which brings the class down enormously without a DM gift.
    Well, we'd all use some LA+0 Drow variety (there are, what, five?) and be messing around with early entry shenanigans (which are actually less questionable than usual for Yathrinshee due to the way the casting prereqs work). I'm not terribly enthused about it either, but it wouldn't be so bad as all that.

Threnody is indeed somewhat poorly written, and I'd want some clarification with regard to Curse of the Revenancer, though I don't see what's so crippling about it on its face.

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

Given the prerequisites, Yathrinshee looks to me like there's one obvious build that's just too good not to use at least 16/20 ECL of.
    Last edited by Bucky; 2016-07-25 at 01:41 AM.
    The gnomes once had many mines, but now they have gnome ore.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

I kinda hope that the next dish is simple and flexible... the last many SI's have been very strict prerequsites in theme and/or style

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

I'm thinking next round I might give you an actually decent PrC to play with. I know! Madness! What am I thinking?!
    Quotebox
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalirren View Post
    The only person in the past two pages who has known what (s)he has been talking about is Heliomance.
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    I just don't want to have long romantic conversations or any sort of drama with my computer, okay? It knows what kind of porn I watch. I don't want to mess that up by allowing it to judge any of my choices in romance.

Wish building characters for D&D 3.5 was simpler? Try HeroForge Anew! An Excel-based, highly automated character builder. v7.4 now out!

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

biggrin Re: Iron Chef Optimisation Challenge in the Playground LXXIX

Quote Originally Posted by Sian View Post
    I kinda hope that the next dish is simple and flexible... the last many SI's have been very strict prerequsites in theme and/or style
    That's a good point, too.

On the plus side, Dragon Samurai reqs are pretty easy (BAB +5, Knowledge [arcana] 2 ranks)! :P

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Heliomance View Post
    I'm thinking next round I might give you an actually decent PrC to play with. I know! Madness! What am I thinking?!
    It had to come to this, sooner or later.

Remember, in 500 or so rounds, we will have no choice but to do Ur Priest...
    Last edited by MisterKaws; 2016-07-25 at 12:11 PM.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

It had to come to this, sooner or later.

Remember, in 500 or so rounds, we will have no choice but to do Ur Priest...
    In 500 or so rounds, we'll be either old or dead. Probably dead.

And yes, I did the math.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post
    In 500 or so rounds, we'll be either old or dead. Probably dead.

And yes, I did the math.
    I'd be on my 60s, so I'll be patiently waiting for it.