New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 27 123456789101126 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 799
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground
     
    DrK's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default DrK Savage Tide I IC

    The Savage Tide Begins!

    The first savage tide has already touched the mortal world, yet none who live today recall this terrible time of red ruin. It swept over an ancient city, transforming beggar and noble, merchant and thief, resident and visitor, one and all into feral, ravenous fiends. What took the ancients hundreds of years to build came crumbling down in a matter of days. When the final ripples of the tide faded, only ruins remained.

    Now, after a thousand years, the hidden architect of the Savage Tide gazes upon new targets. This time, the doom will not be limited to one hapless city. This time, all of civilization is perched on the shore, blissfully ignorant of what the tide is about to bring in.



    A late spring breeze wafts in across the city from the sea as you make your way toward the Vanderboren Estate in the Merchant's District. Sunset approaches, but still the clinging heat of the day remains in the air. Hawkers begin to pack up there wares as the city's inhabitants prepare for their evening activities. Already the faint roar of thousands of voices from the arena in the distant Champion's district can be heard like the dull roar of the sea. The Merchants district looms high around you. The neatly paved streets busy with the wealthy being carried aloft by slave bound sedan chairs, horse or ostrich pulled coaches and carriages or even a couple atop the backs of large elephants. The Merchant's Watch eyes you suspiciously, a few passing comments of "Don't be causing trouble here. You're sort may be more at home across in Champions..."

    Each of you arriving independently are holding a letter written in a neat flowing style that is as interesting as it is mysterious... The notes were delivered by a stern and proper looking halfling woman who gave no name and only muttered that your recent exploits had atttracted the attention of her mistress who may ask them for some assistance. Assistance that had the ring of monetary recompense attached to it.


    Eventually you reach the small manor that identifies itself as the Vandeborn Manor. The owner of the mysterious note that the Halfling delivered to you after you finished your recent adventure. The seven-foot high stone wall that surrounds the estate is hard to miss, as is the towering, gothic, three-storey house that dominates the grounds within. Leering gargoyles andcapering nymphs festoon the eaves of the manor's roof, and several trees and thick flowers - many clearly exotic and not from the surrounding jungles - give the manor grounds a nice buffer from the bustle of the city outside.

    You are heading to location #1

    The compound gates are open and no-one is in sight. You make your way to the front door and knock. After a few moments the wizened halfling servant who originally contacted you opens the door.

    "Ah welcome... I am glad you were able to respond and arrive so promptly. Please come in and wait in the receiving room. I will have food and drinks brought to you while the Mistress prepeares to greet you."

    She gestures inside to a spacious waiting-room. It is open, light and has several plants and seats placed for comfort. A small cage containing some local jungle ferns housing a half dozen small brightly coloured frogs lies alongside one wall, the other wall opening up onto a small balcony overlooking the water and the city beyond. The opposed temples to Wee Jas and Kord dominate the skyline - one well lit with curving domes and sunny murals, the other dark and shadowy as befits the Lady of the night and a player in the many criminal gangs that threaten to upset the balance of power within the city. To the south are the distant mist-covered mountains, and beyond them deadly snake-infested jungle. To the north is nothing but clear calm ocean, dotted here and there with fishing and trading vessels.

    As you wait some another servant in the Vandeborn livery appear with trays of wine and ale and platters of steamed tree viper slices, stuffed fangfish parcels fresh from the river and a selection of diced fruit from the lush jungle.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Feel free to introduce yourselves and describe your PC

    Last edited by DrK; 2016-06-30 at 07:12 AM.
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: DrK Savage Tide I IC

    Locksley

    Spoiler
    Show

    Locksley
    Male CG Green Dragon Bloodline Quarter-Elf bard, Level 1, Init 1, HP 7/7, Speed 30
    AC 13, Touch 11, Flat-footed 12, Fort 1, Ref 3, Will 2, Base Attack Bonus 0
    Rapier +1 (1d6+1, 18-20/×2)
    Shortbow (20) +1 (1d6, x3)
    (+2 Armor, +1 Dex)
    Abilities Str 12, Dex 13, Con 12, Int 13, Wis 10, Cha 15
    Condition None


    Locksley wears a well-tailored green waistcoat with black leggings and high boots. A tri-corner hat with a garish exotic animal feather crowns his head. At his belt hangs a rapier of the type nobles usually cart about and can hardly use. A first glance would dismiss him as a perfumed fop, and hearing him talk would not dissuade your first impression.

    He offers first the halfling, then the other guests a weak smile. The past few weeks since his disinheritance had passed in a wine-soaked haze, and began to look it.

    In truth, he'd hoped to have drunk himself to death by now, but his unusually high tolerance for alcohol kept thwarting him.

    Seeing the canapés made his innards agitate for better living conditions, and Locksley feared the floor would match his green attire soon. He gratefully snatches a flute of wine.

    A little gaze of the cockatrice who killed you,he thought grimly.
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2016-06-30 at 10:17 AM.
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Felhammer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    My 🐧🏰
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: DrK Savage Tide I IC

    Amara

    The gentle wood elf had left her sea-side monastery some years ago. Her life's goal was to be reunited with the mysterious stranger whom she shared a most magical night with. Although a part of her thought it was far fetched, Amara had come to believe the mysterious stranger who had casually entered and exited her life was none other than the Dolphin Prince - her patron deity. Since that night of passion, she has dedicated her life doing good works in the name of her god with the hope that he will grace her with his presence - and love - just one more time before she passes on from this world.

    Amara has come to this particular town due to a letter she had received. Truth be told, she was running out of funds and needed an infusion of cash so as to continue to do the works that Deep Sashelas demanded she perform. Her quiver was running light on arrows (at least from her perspective) and her tummy grumbled under the displeasure of eating trail rations for the past two weeks. The chance to earn some coin pleased her - and her sorrowful belly - greatly.

    The cleric of the Lord of the Undersea entered the room with a smile. She ran her hand through her neck-length sandy brown hair, "Hello, everyone. I am Amara Syndara." On her right cheek is a vibrant blue tattoo of a dolphin, the symbol of her deity. She wears a simple brown cloak over top of an equally simple steel-grey scale armor coat. On her back is a quiver stuffed full of arrows. Strung around her lithe frame is an elven-made longbow. A simple dwarven-made longsword rests on her hip.
    Last edited by Felhammer; 2016-06-30 at 12:14 PM.
    DMing:
    ❶ AGAINST THE GIANTS: IC | OOC

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: DrK Savage Tide I IC

    Locksley

    Doffing his hat, Locksley favours the lady with a low, sweeping bow.

    "Mae l'ovannen Amara!"

    Seeing the holy symbol, Locksley decides to forgo the usual fawning. He still regretted pinching the Cuthbert cleric's bottom. Oh how he howled brimstone and fire!

    "Elen síla lúmenn' omentielvo! Ye Locksley t'Sasserine. Quetuvangwë sí ve nildu?"

    Spoiler: If you talk Elf words...
    Show
    Well met Amara!
    A star shines on the hour of our meeting! I am Locksley of Sasserine. May we speak as friends?
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2016-06-30 at 02:22 PM.
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground
     
    RCgothic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    UK

    Default Re: DrK Savage Tide I IC

    Lara

    On the balcony a young woman leans on the railing, long red hair fluttering in the wind as she looks out over the city, easy and relaxed. This is her city; the sights, sounds and smells all have a comforting familiarity. But even so her gaze keeps coming back to the city's ports and the tall ships berthed there, and beyond to the horizon.

    She turns to the room with a cocky smile as conversation begins.

    "Antolle ulua sulrim, Locksley t'Sasserine," she admonishes mockingly. "Quena common yassen otholi."

    "Well met Amara! Sea folk are always glad to see a follower of Sashelas. I'm Lara. Lara Dantalion, of Pelican that was. Have you travelled far?"

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: DrK Savage Tide I IC

    Grimgor

    The dwarf plodded up to the door of the estate, frowning at the finery. He looked at the letter for what must have been the tenth time in as many minutes and looked back to the street signs. With an explosive sigh and shake of his head, he moved forward to pound on the door. The same halfling that gave him the letter answered.Ah welcome... I am glad -"

    The dwarf grunted and raised a hand, interrupting the small woman. "Blah, blah, blah, Ah'm here lassy. Jus' point me to th'grub.". Stepping in like he owned the place, the dwarf looked left and right, then started back at the halfling expectantly.



    Entering the room, the dwarf looked around, absently checking his pockets. Too many times nimble fingers from the small folk had rid him of his wealth. She'd already made him leave his pike and shield behind - what else might she take? He paused, taking in the attendees, until his eyes lit up at the sight of the food. Stomping over, he grabbed a handful of fish and stuffed a couple of vipers in his mouth as he looked around for the ale.

    The others saw what appears to be a stout and solid dwarf, albeit with rough skin. His dark eyes peered out from a craggy brow, glittering black. His beard was tied into two braids he had tucked into his belt. The sides of his head were shaved and covered with what look like runic tattoos. He was arnored and they had let him qkeep one weapon - he chose his waraxe, which lay across his back.

    Chewing his food loudly, the warrior found an empty wall spot and leaned back against it, watching the others.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I'm in! Hopefully the post makes sense ...
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."


    Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    NZ

    Default Re: DrK Savage Tide I IC

    Tyndall

    Walking to the gates of the estate the aging ex-retainer checked his attire anxiously. He'd polished his old chain armour best he could and wore his scimitar on a serviceable but second-hand sword belt. It was all a few years out of date, but so was he. It was all he had and he had to make the most of it. Second chances like this didn't come along every day - he missed being in service to a House and badly needed both the coin and the dignity. Hopefully this wasn't just a cruel joke.

    As he passes into the grounds he instantly feels more at ease. It had been a while since House Pullano but this sort of place was very familiar to him and made him yearn even more for the old days, before he'd been been shipwrecked and it'd all been so unfairly lost to him.

    Passing inside he spies those gathered in the antechamber making acquaintances. Tyndall can't speak a word of elvish but he can guess at the pleasantries being exchanged. Nodding to all present and not quite sure yet who everyone might represent he introduces himself, "Tyndall Jarispur, at your service". As he pushes his uncut hair back from his brow the others see a handsome if rugged-looking middle-aged man in somewhat dated armour and attire. A tangle of coloured flaxen braids is stuffed absently into one pocket. His face is sun-weathered and his hastily brushed dark hair and beard is starting to go grey. The man has clearly seen better days.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: DrK Savage Tide I IC

    Locksley

    Wind pours from my mouth? How dare she... actually no, it's a fair cop.

    Locksley bows again, this time at Mistress Dantalion.

    "Of course, forgive my boorish manners, my Lady! It has been so long I have engaged one of my father's kin, I was overcome with nostalgia."
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NinjaGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The Greyverse
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: DrK Savage Tide I IC

    'Tienne

    Is this "fashionably late" or just "late"? 'Tienne thinks to himself, as he reaches the door of the mansion. Embarrassed, he acknowledged to himself that he was tardy by design: anything to avoid the awkwardness of being the first or second to arrive and the long silence as their hostess or another guest waited for him to make conversation.

    He still puzzled over his meeting with the halfling woman and the note from Mistress Vanderboren. "Recent exploits"? They couldn't know about Cauldron, could they? Maybe it was just that thing with the girl who fell overboard. But the hope of money -- yes, he could use some money. He could not continue living off his relations. Things had been getting ever more strained around the house.

    Leaving his hat in the entryway and ushered into the waiting room, he declines the drinks in favor of some of the fresh fruit, then stands bare-headed looking at the others. His dark brown hair is close-cropped. (If I have to comb it when I get up in the morning, it's too long.). His face -- Do I look non-descript? I think I'm non-descript. A stiffened leather jerkin; a belt, with pouch and belt-knife; unremarkable, he hopes.

    "Hi, you can call me 'Tienne." Then, not knowing what else to say, he looks around for a seat.
    Quote Originally Posted by redzimmer View Post
    history's worst MLP cosplay.
    Custom Class

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground
     
    RCgothic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    UK

    Default Re: DrK Savage Tide I IC

    Quote Originally Posted by redzimmer View Post
    Locksley

    Wind pours from my mouth? How dare she... actually no, it's a fair cop.

    Locksley bows again, this time at Mistress Dantalion.

    "Of course, forgive my boorish manners, my Lady! It has been so long I have engaged one of my father's kin, I was overcome with nostalgia."
    "And yet you are from Sasserine...?" Lara asks dubiously, confused by demographics that above 1 in 12 of the city claim some elvish heritage. Lara herself reckons she has about 3/64th elf in her. "Oh, I see!" she exclaims, realisation dawning. "Where did your voyage take you?" She asks, enthusiastic now.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostfoot View Post
    Tyndall
    Passing inside he spies those gathered in the antechamber making acquaintances. Tyndall can't speak a word of elvish but he can guess at the pleasantries being exchanged. Nodding to all present and not quite sure yet who everyone might represent he introduces himself, "Tyndall Jarispur, at your service". As he pushes his uncut hair back from his brow the others see a handsome if rugged-looking middle-aged man in somewhat dated armour and attire. A tangle of coloured flaxen braids is stuffed absently into one pocket. His face is sun-weathered and his hastily brushed dark hair and beard is starting to go grey. The man has clearly seen better days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stegyre View Post
    'Tienne

    "Hi, you can call me 'Tienne." Then, not knowing what else to say, he looks around for a seat.
    "Lara. Lara Dantalion," she greets the newcomers with a firm handshake. The reticent dwarf gets a respectful incline of the head. "Of The Pelican before she paid off. Now sadly between jobs and hoping for a lucky break."

    "You guys are warriors?" she assesses, judging by their attire and bearing. "Any idea why we were summoned?"

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NinjaGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The Greyverse
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: DrK Savage Tide I IC

    'Tienne

    She shook my hand and thinks I'm a "warrior." Maybe she's interested?, 'Tienne thinks, as he admires her red hair. Then he shakes his head, dismissing the thought: women with that much self-confidence did not take a personal interest in him. But she was a sailor, and he liked sailing – it was something in common, at least.
    "Any idea why we were summoned?"
    He tries to think of what he may have heard of their hostess since he came to town.
    Spoiler: Knowledge check
    Show
    K(local) (1d20+1)[21]

    Edit: And I am rocking the knowledge check! Note: "Tienne has the Jack of all Trades feat, allowing him to make untrained checks. In this instance, I think that would mean he has access to higher-than-DC 10 knowledge checks.
    Last edited by Stegyre; 2016-07-01 at 11:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by redzimmer View Post
    history's worst MLP cosplay.
    Custom Class

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    NZ

    Default Re: DrK Savage Tide I IC

    Quote Originally Posted by RCgothic View Post
    "You guys are warriors?" she assesses, judging by their attire and bearing. "Any idea why we were summoned?"
    Tyndall shakes the redhead woman Lara's hand. "Of sorts. More of a 'coordinator' truth be told. I used to work for one of these merchant houses, way back. Looked after some of their teams doing the run to Cauldron and back. I'm not sure what they want of us. I'm just grateful to be invited." He offers her a drink before pouring an ale for himself and reaching for the platter of fruit.

    Spoiler: Knowledge checks + aura options
    Show
    Also with the Knowledge checks:
    Nobility (1d20)[9]
    Local (1d20)[17]

    With my minor marshal aura I've tentatively taken the +3 bonus to damage for everyone while flanking. I'm pretty flexible about the choice and since we haven't properly started yet I figure I could switch this to something else if there's a preference for something more appropriate (it's there for use by the wider party). I guess it really depends on party style - whether folk will be more frequently flanking, critting, charging, tripping etc. Just let me know.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Felhammer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    My 🐧🏰
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: DrK Savage Tide I IC

    Amara

    The elf smiles broadly as she hears others speak her native language, "Vedui' winya Mellonea. blessings en' i' dolphin taren deno' ilye en' lle! vee' amin said, amin naa amara. ta naa quel oment- fellow lovers en' i' elfin lambe!

    amin Aaye tuulo' i' grandwood taure, ie' least originally. amin immigrated a' rel astra iire amin nae y' hundred years iant, lured e' ed' i' prospect en' alma ar' eina. eller deno', amin yeste' istime en' i' heru en' i' undersea ar' natule y' member en' ho clergy. ale' decades e' i' bustlien tal, amin decided y' quieter life nae ten' amin, ikotane amin tulke y' sea-side shrine Numen en' i' vanya tal ar' For en' i' great kawa e' i' crab duin.

    amin uma il- sinta mankoi Amin caela been yale sinome nan', given i' company, amin presume ta naa en' great import. "


    Spoiler: Elven:
    Show
    Greetings new friends. Blessings of the Dolphin Prince upon each of you! As I said, I am Amara. It is good to meet fellow lovers of the elfin tongue!

    I hail from the Grandwood Forest, at least originally. I immigrated to Rel Astra when I was a hundred years old, lured in by the prospect of wealth and happiness. There upon, I first learned of the Lord of the Undersea and became a member of his clergy. After decades in the bustling city, I decided a quieter life was for me, so I established a sea-side shrine west of this fair city and north of the great bow in the Crab River.

    I do not know why I have been summoned here but, given the company, I presume it is of great import.
    Last edited by Felhammer; 2016-07-02 at 12:58 PM.
    DMing:
    ❶ AGAINST THE GIANTS: IC | OOC

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: DrK Savage Tide I IC

    Grimgor

    Wiping the food from his beard, the dwarf's eyes narrowed at the group of tree-huggers that that were speaking to each other in what must be the language of those wood-loving pansies. The human woman at least acknowledged him with a nod, which earned a nod in return. Belching into his hand, the dwarf pushed away from the wall and stride forward. Once he was in the midst of the group, he spoke. "Ah dinnae speak tree ... and looks like some o' ye dinnae either. Ah dinnae like folk speakin' wot Ah kinnae unnerstand. Speak plain tongue ... or hold yers."

    After speaking his piece, and a moment of awkward silence, he looked around. "Where's this lass at?"

    Now that the dwarf was up close, the others could see his eyes are all black, and his skin the texture of gravel. As a second thought, he spoke again. "Ah'm Grimgor."


    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Mr. Pleasant makes himself known. And he is NOT simply another version of Lan
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."


    Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: DrK Savage Tide I IC

    Locksley

    "I cry your pardon, good sir. I'll not be so rude as to exclude via language. I am Locksley, mostly of Sasserine, though I've periodically been shipped from town to town. As will all of you, I've not the foggiest of clues as to our benefactress's summons."

    Spoiler: K: Local
    Show
    (1d20+3)[12]


    Rarely for the Misbegotten Bastard Son of a Forestlord Half-elf (as Grandfather so lovingly called him), every word he spoke was true. He was very much in the dark, and it itched at him terribly.
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2016-07-02 at 02:41 PM.
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Felhammer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    My 🐧🏰
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: DrK Savage Tide I IC

    Amara

    The wood elf blushes, "Sorry, sir dwarf. I don't get to speak Elven wiff people who can speak it good very often. I'll speak common when you're around, promise."


    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Amara has INT 8, so what I want to do is represent that by having her speak in a unique way.

    Primarily, she will use contractions.

    She will use short, to the point sentences.

    She will have a limited vocabulary, so she will often repeat words multiple times when speaking.

    She will replace the TH sound with the F sound.

    She will use Me instead of My.

    She will use Double Negatives.

    Words that end in Er are ended with A, instead.

    She will also occasionally just say things incorrectly or in an odd manner.
    Last edited by Felhammer; 2016-07-03 at 02:31 AM.
    DMing:
    ❶ AGAINST THE GIANTS: IC | OOC

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground
     
    DrK's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: DrK Savage Tide I IC

    Spoiler: Locksley +Tyndall
    Show

    The "Van de Boren" family is an old family in Sasserine. The parents of the family were adventurers, explorers and well known merchants who had, if rumours are true a colony on a distant isle that had supplied much of the well. Recently however both parents were killed in a some sort of fire leaving a son, Vanthus, and a daughter Lavinia.

    Lavinia is trying to follow in her parents footsteps
    Vanthus is a braggart, a scoundrel and a philanderer



    Kora, the halfling, smiles at you all as she sees you seated and eating and drinking. "My Lady sends her apologies. Her previous meeting with another delegation is running a bit long. She will be with you shortly."
    even as the elderly halfling offers the explanation the broad wide doors adjacent to your sitting room open revealing an impressive looking gallery behind. The best description of the room beyond would be a "museum" as savage tribal masks of unknown origin, weapons and stuffed animals ranging from small vermin and bats to a massive 18ft long stuffed lizard of some kind stand poised around an elegant table.

    A distinctive party of four leave the room passing through your balcony. The four all dressed in matching green cloaks that Tienne recognises as those of the "Jade Ravens" a small adventuring band. The group is led by a jaunty male half-elf dressed in leather armor and armed with a half-dozen daggers of different shapes, a dark-skinned dwarf with a sour expression dressed in green and brown robes and clutching a large curved spear follows as an attractive but haughty-looking woman dressed in dark purple robes and with a tattoo of a crescent moon on one cheek, and a tall and handsome man dressed in polished breastplate carrying a bastard sword bring up the rear



    All four of them stride out bantering quietly amongst themselves. The Dwarf tossing a heavy pouch up and down in his hand. The half elf runs an eye over the waiting heroes (you) and smirks... "Lavinia must be getting desperate eh?" The others nod and smile as they head down the stairs... The dwarf offering Grimgor a respectful nod and a salute as he passes.

    Even as the other party head downstairs Mistress Kora the elderly Halfling Lady waves you into the muesum Its softly lit by wall-mounted lanterns. A window overlooks the manor's central courtyard with a garden and pool visible and the carpet is thick and soft. A large portrait hangs on the wall, behind Lavinia, a fine work depicting a hand some young man with a short beard. Standing before the portrait is an attractive human woman wearing a long, flowing blue dress.



    She smiles. Thanking Kora and bidding you sit on one of the chairs laid out in a rough semi-circle in front of her where she stands in front of the fireplace below the imposing portrait.

    Greetings. Welcome to my manor. You are all brave adventurers and I thank mistress Kora for helping me find you. As you may have heard, I recently inherited my parents' estate. Along with this fine house, unfortunately, came a fine amount of debt owed the Dawn Council, the harbormaster, and quite a few guildhalls. It seems my parents, for all their success as adventurers, were not as skilled at finance as one might expect. If I'm to get these taxes paid, I'll need to access my family's vault under Castle Teraknian." She pauses to sip some wine from a crystal goblet with a flowing griffon emblazoned upon it.

    "And that's the problem, you see. The vaults are magically locked-keyed to special signet rings. Both of my parents had these rings, at least, until recently. My mother lost hers a few months ago. She arranged for a replacement, but it won't be done for another month or so, too late for me. Which leaves my father's ring. He never wore it-he had a thing about men wearing jewellery. He kept it hidden somewhere on his ship, the Blue Nixie. The problem there is that the harbormaster's seized the ship until someone pays for the last four months of mooring. I've paid the fines to the man the harbormaster's put in charge of my ship, a brute named Soller Vark. Yet when I went to claim my ship, Vark's men wouldn't let me board, claiming that I hadn't yet paid the fines. I spoke to Vark again and he denied ever receiving my payment. My complaints to the harbormaster have
    fallen on deaf ears-he's a doddering old fool who trusts his man and won't relent."


    She pauses looking a little nervous before continuing. "Vark and his men are up to something on my ship, I know it. What I need is to find out exactly what they're up to. Unfortunately, Vark's not the type to react well to diplomacy or logic. I need someone who speaks his language... which is where you come in. If you can find out what he's using my ship for, or even better, recover the money I paid him, I'll pay each of you 200 gold in return once I've access to my vault." She pauses at the end of her speech before surveying the assembled "heroes".
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Felhammer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    My 🐧🏰
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: DrK Savage Tide I IC

    Amara

    The cleric notes the other party walking by and smiles courteously to them. She was not used to being an adventurer, so perhaps it was common for patrons to hire multiple teams at the same time. Perhaps not. Time would tell, she supposed.

    After their new patron finished her spiel, Amara nodded, "I'm sorry you can't get to your vault. Don't seem right that this Vark is keepin' you from yer daddy's ring and ship. I don't not put words in other people's mouths but I would be willin' to do fis for you. Seems like somefing fat is all above board and good. 200 gold is good too." She looks to her new-found companions to see if they agree or not.
    Last edited by Felhammer; 2016-07-03 at 02:34 AM.
    DMing:
    ❶ AGAINST THE GIANTS: IC | OOC

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NinjaGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The Greyverse
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: DrK Savage Tide I IC

    'Tienne

    'Tienne is relieved at the dwarf setting the elves straight on matters of basic courtesy. "All the most important texts are in Draconic," they said. "Draconic is the language of scholarship," they said. I've never yet had to speak with a dragon, or even a kobold, and now I'm surrounded by elves. Internally, he rolls his eyes at yet another life mistake he can regret.

    "The Jade Ravens. Heard of them," 'Tienne whispers under his breath, as the other party vanishes down the stairs. If he was going to be working with this disparate group, he might as well try to appear usefully knowledgeable to them.

    As they are ushered in to meet their young host, 'Tienne's eyes drift over the décolletage. Is it uncomfortable to have them squeezed together like that? he wonders. Must remember to look in the eyes, only at the eyes. He hears her out, thinking only, I wonder how much of that is true?
    Spoiler: sense motive
    Show
    sense motive (1d20+2)[12]
    The point of being a jack of all trades is to make lots of rolls in skills for which you have no proficiency whatsoever.

    In contrast to Amara, 'Tienne, with his Int 13 (smart enough to think you're smart, but not smart enough to actually be smart), is mentally correcting her Common and adding the accent when he thinks of "décolletage."

    As a young man, he spends too much time thinking "décolletage" and blushing every time he thinks he's been caught.
    Last edited by Stegyre; 2016-07-02 at 05:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by redzimmer View Post
    history's worst MLP cosplay.
    Custom Class

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    NZ

    Default Re: DrK Savage Tide I IC

    Tyndall

    Tyndall nods politely to the old halfling servant and takes a seat as offered. He blinks often, trying to stay focused on the words as his attention drifts to the splendid surroundings and the young woman herself. His attention refocuses at the mention of the miscreant Vark and the monies involved.

    This was his chance - to serve once more with a wealthy house! What an opportunity. The lass looks trustworthy enough. More than trustworthy. Best keep quiet and try to look smart. "Lady Vanderboren, it would be an honour to assist you."

    Spoiler: Sensing...
    Show

    sense motive (1d20-1)[3] Edit: Nothing to see here - sign me up!
    Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2016-07-03 at 05:24 AM.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: DrK Savage Tide I IC

    Locksley

    Locksley is dazzled by the enchanting young woman, enraged by the tale of skullduggery, and emboldened by her plea for help.

    "Such villainy cannot go unchecked, fair lady! Until I no longer draw breath, I shall seek your vengeance against these blackguards!"

    The day suddenly was looking up!
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2016-07-03 at 08:41 AM.
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: DrK Savage Tide I IC

    Grimgor

    The dwarf nodded grudgingly at the apologies, somewhat surprised that such fancy folk would be so quick to say they were sorry. But whether they were just humorist him or sincere was forgotten as the halfling returned to usher them into yet another room. Exiting was a group of four dressed in greens. While the half-elf seemed obnoxious, the dwarf had manners; Grimgor returned the nod with one of his own.

    Once in the room, their hostess appeared - a well-dressed human who appears to be attractive given his companions reactions - and he listened to her story. It seemed straight forward enough, but Grimgor had been tricked before in the past - sometimes by a the truth, albeit twisted for someone else's purpose.

    "Ye seem nice enow, but there be a sayin' - 'three sides t'every story ... Yer's, theirs, anda truth. Wot's ta prove ye got th'right o' it?

    N' why ye needin' this lot"
    , he waved to take in the group, "when he ye've got them Green Crows on th'payroll? Tha's gold enow t'pay yer fees agin, aye?"

    Apparently the dwarf had two side to his personality - blunt and blunter.


    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Insuppose a sense motive would work, but it would probably be to the answer, since Grim already has questions
    Last edited by Starbin; 2016-07-04 at 02:02 AM.
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."


    Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground
     
    DrK's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: DrK Savage Tide I IC

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostfoot View Post
    Tyndall
    This was his chance - to serve once more with a wealthy house! What an opportunity. The lass looks trustworthy enough. More than trustworthy. Best keep quiet and try to look smart. "Lady Vanderboren, it would be an honour to assist you."
    Quote Originally Posted by redzimmer View Post
    Locksley

    Locksley is dazzled by the enchanting young woman, enraged by the tale of skullduggery, and emboldened by her plea for help.

    "Such villainy cannot go unchecked, fair lady! Until I no longer draw breath, I shall seek your vengeance against these blackguards!"

    The day suddenly was looking up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Felhammer View Post
    Amara

    After their new patron finished her spiel, Amara nodded, "I'm sorry you can't get to your vault. Don't seem right that this Vark is keepin' you from yer daddy's ring and ship. I don't not put words in other people's mouths but I would be willin' to do fis for you. Seems like somefing fat is all above board and good. 200 gold is good too." She looks to her new-found companions to see if they agree or not.
    Lavinia smiles a dazzling smile at Tyndall, Amara and Locksley and thanks them for their offers if help. At Grimgors words...


    Quote Originally Posted by Starbin View Post
    Grimgor

    "Ye seem nice enow, but there be a sayin' - 'three sides t'every story ... Yer's, theirs, anda truth. Wot's ta prove ye got th'right o' it?

    N' why ye needin' this lot"
    , he waved to take in the group, "when he ye've got them Green Crows on th'payroll? Tha's gold enow t'pay yer fees agin, aye?"

    After speaking his piece, and a moment of awkward silence, he looked around. "Where's this lass at?"

    Apparently the dwarf had two side to his personality - blunt and blunter.
    Her eyes pop slightly at the bluntness of the dwarf's response before she gathers herself. It is a fair question Master Dwarf. You do not know me and not being from Sasserine you will not trust in the good name of my house.

    The Jade Ravens are some I've worked with before but they are leaving the city on another matter of some urgency. With the recent deaths of my parents there is much to sort out and there are many costs I need to pay and need access to my ship.

    Irrespective of the wharf fees Vark is preventing me boarding my own vessel and I suspect is using it for some shady endeavour. But here is proof of my words..

    From a desk drawer she pulls out a heavy folder that details the deeds to the Blue Nixie (another ship deed has tear stains and is ripped, that one is the boat that recently burned to to waterline costing Lavinia her parents a month ago), other bts if paper detail a loan of 100pp from the Sasserine treasury and proof of delivery from a dwarven courier firm. I know I'm naive having dealt with that brigand Vark but my house is now in trouble and before this evidence can work through the watch we will be bankrupt! I cannot accept losing everything so soon after my parents death." Tears start in her face as she turns away, clearly embarrassed by her crying.
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: DrK Savage Tide I IC

    Grimgor

    The dwarf listened carefully, takin note of the woman's words and seeming proof. She was right - he didn't know her or her family, but the story and deeds seemed to point to an issue. Nodding to himself, he started to speak when the woman turned away, her eyes bright.

    Reaching into his pack, he pulled out a soft, gray cloth.

    "Yer eyes be leakin', lads. Try this. Ah s'pose Ah'll be on yer retainer, too."


    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Looks like we've got a mission!
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."


    Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground
     
    RCgothic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    UK

    Default Re: DrK Savage Tide I IC

    Lara

    Lara listens carefully to the brief, and to the responses before coming to a decision. Though she is perfectly capable of being bold and impetuous when the situation calls, she has never found any harm in being considerate where time is not at a premium. Nevertheless she finds herself moved by Lavinia's story (whilst making a mental note to get it corroborated later).

    "My lady, you had me at Blue Nixie! She's a fine ship and I'll bet she's fast in stays! If you want someone who knows her ships, you've come to the right girl."
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2016-07-04 at 02:48 AM.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NinjaGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The Greyverse
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: DrK Savage Tide I IC

    'Tienne

    Truth will out, 'Tienne thinks with a shrug. Her story sounded plausible, and if things weren't quite so, they would learn that quickly. What could possibly go wrong with Locksley involved? He has a private smile that vanishes almost as quickly as it came. Some in Cauldron probably think that of me. He feels embarrassed, ashamed, and in need of proving himself.

    "Okay, I'm in," he says.


    It's an interesting group of characters, 'Tienne thinks, as he looks around at the others. What could she have been thinking, or was she just scraping the bottom of the barrel. The Dwarf, well he had obvious assets. Wouldn't want to be opposite him in a fight. The sailor, when a ship was involved –Who better to say what's out of place and what it might mean?

    The rest of them – the elves, the "old man," himself – well, if they needed to seduce this Vark or drink him under the table Locksleyglass houses, throwing stones. He sighs. I have issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by redzimmer View Post
    history's worst MLP cosplay.
    Custom Class

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground
     
    DrK's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: DrK Savage Tide I IC

    Lavinia smiles at you all, her face beaming. The stern looking halfling maid also smiles, nodding her head in approval and clapping her flour dusted hands together. "More good or drink? Or will you be heading on down to the docks? The Nixie is on wharf 4 of the sunset docks."

    Lavinia smiles at her, "Thank you Kora but we don't need to chase our new friends out. Is there anything else you'd like to know? Do you need an advance to pick up anything before you go speak with that rogue Vark?"


    any more questions before you head down to the docks? Or anywhere else?
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: DrK Savage Tide I IC

    Locksley

    Locksley thinks for a moment.

    "If I may, I'd like your best attempt at a map of the ship's interior, as well as names of anyone you know who associates with Vark. As well any others persons of influence in the dock district,"

    He empties his glass.

    "Everyone has a vice or someone they fear. Tell me all you know, then point me to others who know more."
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground
     
    DrK's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: DrK Savage Tide I IC

    She smiles at the bard's toast before getting Kora to fetch her some paper and a fine Inkpen with an exotic looking feather. "I don't know any of the blaggards men. He had maybe 4-5 that I saw when they took my money and laughed me off my ship. As for others... The harbour master is a doddering old fool who believes whatever Vark says of him.

    She is moored in the Sunset docks at the end of the noble district. We all keep our ships to ourselves. I don't many others that way. Captain Lyrander of the Watch has already failed to help me.

    As for the Nixie, I know her my eyes closed. I used to play on her with my father when she was in port.


    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Felhammer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    My 🐧🏰
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: DrK Savage Tide I IC

    Amara whistles as she pours over the schematics of the ship, "Good lookin' boat, Missy. I'd be interested in takin' a trip wiff you some day. What kind of cleric of Deep Sashelas would I be if I didn't like ships? 'Til fat day, we gotta get your kit back. Hey, you know anyone in fat part of town fat we could deal wiff? Sailors like money. We have money. Maybe we could pay someone to help us get onto fe ship?"
    DMing:
    ❶ AGAINST THE GIANTS: IC | OOC

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •