New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: Age of Sigmar: Points and Handbooks

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Top 10 from CanCon

8. Stormcasts A 30-blob in the Vanguard Wing is one of the more gross things I've ever seen.
    #TheMeta

Maybe not anymore that they've nerfed it to actually have to charge and not be able to drop through units. Still, it's a big wall of "can't kill me" that can deploy anywhere, so we'll probably still see it.

7. Dispossessed Alpha Strike hard-as-nails on Turn 2. If the opponent goes first, Gryph-Hound. Then drop the Celestant-Prime. Yeah.
    Funny thing is, Primetime is actually stronger in Allied armies than he is in his own. Only ever see him as an Ally, rarely if ever in a SCE-allegiance army.

1. Stormcasts I know for a fact that the Knight-Heraldor is one of the most underrated Leaders in the 'Tome. Maybe now people will listen to me. How is Run & Charge in the same turn, on Dracoth units not brutally strong? Also has the potential to deal Mortal Wounds to multiple units with no dice roll. I don't get how people don't rate them.[/spoiler]
    I think it's been known that the Heraldor is insanely strong, but many Stormcast armies are either Shooting focused (don't necessarily need a Heraldor, though he adds shooting) or Vanguard Wing, which doesn't care about Running since they just drop into Combat drop 3" away from enemies. But yeah, for things like Dracoths and Stardrakes, they're the bomb dot com.

While Tzeentch and Stormcasts make a strong showing, fact is, the lists are different. Meaning that those Battletomes actually have multiple units worth taking in varying combinations (although obviously you can see some staples). Unlike 40K, where the exact same list makes up 3/8. Though, that could be Australia's meta just being smaller. But I doubt it. People who can read, know what's good. And with the internet, you can figure out what units are good if you wanted to. Alternatively, Sigmar is such a free-form game that there is more than one play-style that wins games, instead of just spamming Guns in the back of the board.
    *Looks at LVO*
    *Three Changehosts in the top 8*

Well let's not say everything is completely gravy at the moment. Not sure if that's because the Venn Diagram of people who like to netlist and people who go to LVO has so much overlap it's nearly a circle, or if it's because the meta is just really different in different places. I'm hoping that Changehost gets slapped around at Adepticon by some untapped army or something new like Nurgle/Death, but I'm not holding my breath, it's quite strong in the right hands. In fact, it's too freaking strong and imo should have been about 100 points more expensive (and still would be good because Horrors are cheap).

2. - Top - End - #452
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I am splitting blightwar with a nugle player, so adding it to what I have painted, plus one unit of paladins, would give me this list:

Spoiler
    Show

Celestant-Prime
    Lord-Celestant (G, Staunch Defender, Obsidian Blade)
    Neave

Liberators, Hammer
    Liberators, Hammer
    Judicators, Bows

Fulminators
    Palladors
    Prosecutors, Javalins
    Protectors
    Vanguard-Hunters
    Vanguard-Raptors, Longstrike Crossbows

I do definitely think I want to get a stardrake and more fulminators next, though. When we did path to glory the fulminators were star performers. A heraldor dude seems interesting, especially since getting one would be cheap.

I do really like how my celestant-prime turned out painting; I used the new gem paints for his magic swirlies and it looks quite cool, while being really easy to do.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Banned

Devil

Any opinions on Witch Elves? Apart from new Shiny Morathi, rules have shown them with 6+ Ignore Wounds (even mortal) and reroll 1's when running: abd after thrn 5 reroll 1's on saves, and ignore battleshock.

Can They ally with Seraphon at all?

4. - Top - End - #454
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Any opinions on Witch Elves? Apart from new Shiny Morathi, rules have shown them with 6+ Ignore Wounds (even mortal) and reroll 1's when running: abd after thrn 5 reroll 1's on saves, and ignore battleshock.

Fustrated that they get a better deathless minions, still gonna finish my Blades of the Blood Queen box before deciding if I'm sticking with death.

Seraphon can only take Stormcast as allies, though why they would want to is another question all together.
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

5. - Top - End - #455
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Seraphon Allegiance is really strong - especially if you can roll 6s. As it solves all mobility problems for anything that isn't part of a Shadowstrike. I'm going to echo 9mm; Seraphon don't want Allies, they have pretty much everything they need.

We don't know anything about Daughters of Khaine. But, it'll go up for pre-order this week, which means all the reviews will be up over the weekend. So, check back that. But, I'm going to make a solid bet that <Daughters of Khaine> will also have abilities that far outstrip <Order> that it definitely doesn't warrant breaking your Allegiance.

But, both Seraphon and the Daughters are <Order>, so, technically the answer is actually 'yes', but you'll be hamstringing yourself something fierce.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

6. - Top - End - #456
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Morathi looks completely insane. Unless she's pointed like Nagash, I feel like she's just gonna become something like a Primarch for AoS - you just kind of expect to see a billion of them. Obviously great for DoK armies, but even a great beatstick for mixed Order.

The Melusai seem solid, really depends on their points. From the description, it sounds like they're more akin to Skyfires or Longstrikes than Judicators, since they're getting potential MWs. Mentioned to be fast, so depending on the range and speed they might be a new problem child to be dealt with. And getting extra shooting from Morathi.... phew, a bit scary to think about.

But - and it has to be said - absolutely gorgeous sculpts and I'm thinking of getting at least a 1000 point army just for the sake of painting those models.

7. - Top - End - #457
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

I agree completely with your assessment, though I'm probably not going to buy them, as that's not my army.

I did notice something that I found odd. In the article, it says that the Blood sisters are good for heavy infantry, while sisters of slaughter take on the rest. It doesn't mention wych elves at all. Do you suppose that means they wont be Daughters of Khaine?

8. - Top - End - #458
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RagingBluMunky View Post
    I agree completely with your assessment, though I'm probably not going to buy them, as that's not my army.

I did notice something that I found odd. In the article, it says that the Blood sisters are good for heavy infantry, while sisters of slaughter take on the rest. It doesn't mention wych elves at all. Do you suppose that means they wont be Daughters of Khaine?
    they had plenty of wych elves in the reveal, my guess is either a rename or a battalion name.

side question which would you rather have in your army, 2 banshees or 1 mortis engine?

9. - Top - End - #459
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

It doesn't mention Witch Aelves at all. Do you suppose that means they wont be Daughters of Khaine?
    Absolutely not. They're in General's Handbook 2017, and they're <Daughters of Khaine>.
    Even if they get a rename, you can still use Witch Aelves if you want to, as they still have the <DoK> Keyword, which means you'll be able to take them without breaking Allegiance.

...Don't know why you would, since if they're renamed, whatever they will be is almost guaranteed to better than what you already have.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2018-02-21 at 05:10 PM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

10. - Top - End - #460
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

That's kinda what I figured, I just thought theyd get more advertising, for some reason.

11. - Top - End - #461
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

That's kinda what I figured, I just thought theyd get more advertising, for some reason.
    ...But it's an old kit. Why would they be advertising an old kit?

No, but seriously, buy Morathi. Have you seen how she has two models? Look how big she is.
    ...Wait, why do you care about Witch Aelves? Let me tell you about Morathi some more...
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

12. - Top - End - #462
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Thinking of getting into AoS. Trying to pick between Iron Jawz and Kharadron. But if I go Kharadron, I'm 100% getting Morathi and a few more Witches to ally with. Overall I'm really impressed with the deals in the start collecting boxes, but that may be because the regular kits are just so overpriced. Looking at the Karadron start collecting and battleforce and thinking, Thats almost 500$ worth of models for 300$. Really hope the Daughters of Khaine get a start collecting with this new release, but I will VERY much get Snake Morathi. I know my local GW has a strong AoS scene, so this should be fun.

13. - Top - End - #463
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Saambell View Post
    But if I go Kharadron, I'm 100% getting Morathi and a few more Witches to ally with.
    If you're looking at Kharadrons...Well, they're unplayable in 1000 Points. So if you plan on playing Kharadrons, you're looking at at least 1600 points' worth, with 400 for Allies. Anything less, don't bother.

Looking at the Karadron start collecting and battleforce and thinking, Thats almost 500$ worth of models for 300$.
    Head's up, the Kharadron Start Collecting! is useless without the Battleforce. Honestly, the Kharadron SC! box is literally one of the worst I've ever seen. Right up there with the old Eldar one with a Fire Prism and Jetbikes.

The Kharadon 'SC!' box, isn't for people starting, to collect, Kharadrons. It's an expansion to the Battleforce.

Really hope the Daughters of Khaine get a start collecting with this new release
    SC! boxes typically come out a month or few after the book.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

14. - Top - End - #464
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Thinking of getting into AoS. Trying to pick between Iron Jawz and Kharadron. But if I go Kharadron, I'm 100% getting Morathi and a few more Witches to ally with. Overall I'm really impressed with the deals in the start collecting boxes, but that may be because the regular kits are just so overpriced. Looking at the Karadron start collecting and battleforce and thinking, Thats almost 500$ worth of models for 300$. Really hope the Daughters of Khaine get a start collecting with this new release, but I will VERY much get Snake Morathi. I know my local GW has a strong AoS scene, so this should be fun.
    As Cheese said, in AoS unlike 40k there is a limiter on Allies if you want your main force to keep their Allegiance Abilities. Kharadron Allegiance Abilities are basically just taken so you can get the ability to DS one of your ships, the rest is pretty good but not crazy from what I've seen.

If you want those Abilities, I'm guessing Morathi will be more than the amount you can take (200 points at 1000 games, 400 points at 2000 games), so likely you'll be playing a plain old Order army, which is cool since you can bring whatever you think works/looks good.

But yeah, Overlords are noted to be pretty overpriced. The Battleforce is good, but that's about it. Everything else you want to buy individually, which can rack up a bit.

15. - Top - End - #465
    Banned

Devil

https://war-of-sigmar.herokuapp.com/bloggings/2763

Not going to lie, I have so many things I want to try out; although getting Mindrazor on an Avatar of Khaine and plopping Morathi's Attack Twice on it to get 4 attacks, hitting on 2's reroll 1's, -3 Rend, and 4 damage just feels like utter dirt (Hagg Narr). Alternatively Kraith Heartrenders+Morathi+Shadowhammer is putting out 3+ -2 Rend Shooting Attacks each turn.

However, main build I want to try is Morathi+Two Bricks of Blood Stalkers, +Kharybdis and Crown of Woe, backed up by a Hag and Shield Witches.

16. - Top - End - #466
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

AoS Doubles Tournament

Spoiler: Our Team
    Show
    Dispossessed
    (G) Warden King; Grudgebearer - 120 Points
    Runelord; Ancestral Pickaxe - 80 Points

Warriors (x20); Two-Handed Weapons, Shields - 160 Points
    Longbeards (x10); Two-Handed Weapons, Shields - 120 Points

Thunderers (x10) - 120 Points
    Irondrakes (x20) - 400 Points

Monstrous Cheaters

Total: 1000 Points

Free Peoples
    Freeguild General; Inspiring, Armour of Meteoric Iron - 100 Points

Freeguild Great Company
    Freeguild Crossbowmen (x30) - 300 Points
    Freeguild Handgunners (x30) - 300 Points
    Freeguild Guard (x40); Militia Weapons - 280 Points

Total: 980 Points

Game 1 - Duality of Death
    First game was our auto-lose. Freeguilds have no interest in moving their Generals closer to the enemy, as Hold the Line! is the most valuable thing in the entire army list. And my Characters move 4" a turn. If we play an army list with fast Heroes/Behemoths that don't take Wounds, we lose. Fantastic. First up was a Beastclaw Raiders with 4 models in it, and Stormcasts with a Knight-Venator. So, they ended up spending the first three turns on the Objectives, killing our Heroes with aimed Bows and Harpoons that did D6 Mortal Wounds and destroyed our Heroes and we never even got to stand on the Objectives (Sigmar is a better game than 40K, nerds tell me).

We almost tabled them. But that doesn't matter 'cause we couldn't get our Heroes on Objectives. I used the Pickaxe to get my Runelord to the Objective. But that got us a total of 3 Points (Turn 4 and 5). Meanwhile, our opponents had (1+2+3)*2 = 12 Points. In reality, we actually lost the game when our opponents failed their first turn Charge with their Behemoth. Freeguilds want you to Charge on Turn 1, that way they can Support Fire their face off. Because it's basically a free Shooting phase - getting Charged gives Freeguild an extra Shooting phase. It's what they want.

We ended up getting the double-turn, and we deleted the Stonehorns and that was that. But, what we really wanted was three Shooting phases in two turns. We didn't get that, so we lost.

As always, losing the first game in a tournament when you don't actually deserve to, is a good thing...So we went to the bottom tables, with smiles on our stupid faces.

Game 2 - Battle for the Pass
    Again, another Mission that our army doesn't like. But, the Freeguild all had armies over 20 models strong, and they don't take Battleshock as long as the General is alive, etc. This one is much better, because our strength is in our units, not in our Characters, because HeroHammer is dumb, and basically only playable by armies with good Heroes. First turn I used Grudgebearer to switch to models with a 4+ or Better Save, and...Yeah.

Anyway, we played against Stormcasts and Skaven. Except the Skaven were played completely wrong. We gunline'd these guys something fierce. I Pickaxe'd to the 4-Point Objective and we won. The Skaven player was tabled, and the Stormcast player had two Dracoths left on the board.

Game 3 - Scorched Earth
    Kharadrons and Death (not Legions of Nagash, I don't think it was legal at the time)

We spent the first two turns racking up 3 Points a turn, whilst Gunlining. Mannfred commited suicide by Charging Freeguild. I goof'd with my Irondrakes, but it was fine. Turns 4 and 5 we Advanced up the board (we didn't really bother attacking, because they had so few models with which to do anything with), then we burned their Objectives at the end of our Turn 5, and we won, easily.

Spoiler: Results
    Show
    The team we played in the first round ended up coming 1st, and our team was the only team that ever came close to beating them, in the round/Mission that our team was guaranteed to auto-lose (and we almost won!).

We came 2nd.
    ...We actually came 3rd. But we had max point score, and both of us had brought a painted terrain piece.

2nd Place should've been a Wanderers/Stormcast army. But, yeah. Soft Scores meant that they didn't...And we never even played them. lol.

Initially, the tournament was going to be a 2000-Point, 16 player, 4 round tournament. Sold out in two days. Unfortunately, something happened with the TOs, or with the venue, or with something...Anyway, turns out we'd only have enough time for three games. Which means that the tournament had to be cut in half, as we'd only have one day to play. The decision was made to make it a doubles tournament, so everyone who had paid could keep playing.

Unfortunately, that meant that some grognards couldn't jam their 2000 Point list into 1000 Points, so they quit. Fair enough. Apparently an even number of players quit, so everything was perfect, as the remainder just paired up. The TOs then managed to get 3 teams (4?) in another two days. Because turns out, Sigmar is popular and people like playing it.

Just not as much as we like playing 40K. But, if you host a tournament, they will come.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2018-02-25 at 12:06 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

17. - Top - End - #467
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Sounds like a fun event, Cheese! If only I could convince the 40k crowd around here that it was possible to enjoy both and split their time, instead of just playing 2-3 40k events per month.

18. - Top - End - #468
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Requizen View Post
    Sounds like a fun event, Cheese! If only I could convince the 40k crowd around here that it was possible to enjoy both and split their time...
    In Australia, it's a case of splitting money. The Australia tax already isn't cheap, and splitting your funds over two systems is pretty hard.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

19. - Top - End - #469
    Ogre in the Playground

Faqs are out. Death confirmed to stay in the gutter. GW really expects Death players to play herohammer with terrible heros and like it.

20. - Top - End - #470
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 9mm View Post
    Faqs are out. Death confirmed to stay in the gutter. GW really expects Death players to play herohammer with terrible heros and like it.
    Mind explaining? FAQs look like pretty reasonable clarifications, I'm not seeing anything that looks like a nerf.

21. - Top - End - #471
    Banned

Devil

According to Reddit, the loss of the Mourngul to Legions of Nagash is a "final nail in the coffin" to the best unit. And apparently Prince Vhordrai lacks Vampire Lord, meaning that it loses out to a cheaper Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon thanks to the Favoured Retainers rule in a Legion of Blood.

Whatever that means.

22. - Top - End - #472
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

According to Reddit, the loss of the Mourngul to Legions of Nagash is a "final nail in the coffin" to the best unit. And apparently Prince Vhordrai lacks Vampire Lord, meaning that it loses out to a cheaper Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon thanks to the Favoured Retainers rule in a Legion of Blood.

Whatever that means.
    Oh, so general complaining then.

Mourngul was a crutch for bad players. Legions is way better now than Death ever was previously. The Prince Vhordrai thing strikes me as odd but I imagine that'll catch an FAQ at some point (probably an oversight) and really doesn't matter since he's a great character even without it.

23. - Top - End - #473
    Banned

Devil

Yeah, i have no pretence of knowing what the **** is going on with the meta. The missus wants to get involved in a wargaming night, and likes Dinosaurs (so much she enjoys Jurassic Park 3). So can shunt her my Lizards, and instead play with the snakes. It's a bit annoying that I can't use Sotek Bastiodons with the new Snakes, but I'll survive.

24. - Top - End - #474
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Is anyone interested in a Let's Read of The Realmgate Wars' campaign books (not the novels, you should read those yourselves)? I've literally never read them, because AoS rules are free, but I've actually picked up Quest for Ghal Maraz for literally nothing. It's pretty thick, so, depending on interest (including my own, just like how I never finished Shield of Baal 'cause the ending was so bad), I might see if I can pick up the other RGWs for dirt cheap.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

25. - Top - End - #475
    Troll in the Playground

It'd certainly be interesting.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

26. - Top - End - #476
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Yeah I'm actually interested to hear about some of the set pieces. I'm in the same boat, I'd get them for cheap but not interested enough to pick up full price.

27. - Top - End - #477
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

So now that we have word on all the Daughters of Khaine, are they any good? I am LOVING their aethetic, and really would pick them up as a AoS army if they do well in game. I know I am getting a box each of the Blood Stalkers and Life Takers just for the model design. But are they worth investing in as an army in the game?

28. - Top - End - #478
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

So now that we have word on all the Daughters of Khaine, are they any good?
    Yes.
    They are 'Raven Guard in AoS' and they upset me greatly. At least, the 'shadow' cabal is*, and that's all anyone in my meta is talking about. There's also a Battalion that is almost identical to the Vanguard Wing (#TheMeta), except the Daughters of Khaine can do Mortal Wounds every time they teleport.

* I haven't got the 'Tome, but I did skim it, and 'the Raven Guard ones' stood out to me as clearly the best, and judging from what the people in my meta who are starting DoK are saying, I feel like I'm correct.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

29. - Top - End - #479
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Do you get cabal abilities by default, or do you need Daughters allegiance? I am thinking of grabbing some to be allies for my stormcasts. (Primetime needs groupies)

30. - Top - End - #480
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Yaktan View Post
    Do you get cabal abilities by default, or do you need Daughters allegiance?
    How do Kharadons work? 'Cause it's however that works.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome