New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 48 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2338394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 1476
  1. - Top - End - #1411
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: Age of Sigmar: Points and Handbooks

Drakkfoot can't instagib Morathi Still good against DoK, since everyone goes Hagg-Narr and gets that 5++

Interesting that they let Greenskinz remain in the Big Waaagh. Usually the older units phase out, or at least don't get included in new Allegiance Abilities. Not that the units are great, but still interesting.

2. - Top - End - #1412
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Requizen View Post
    Drakkfoot can't instagib Morathi Still good against DoK, since everyone goes Hagg-Narr and gets that 5++

Interesting that they let Greenskinz remain in the Big Waaagh. Usually the older units phase out, or at least don't get included in new Allegiance Abilities. Not that the units are great, but still interesting.
    The change to the Drakkfoot-Morathi interaction isn't that surprising to be honest. Seemed a bit of an oversight.

Quite surprising to see the regular Greenskins in the big waagh indeed. I guess that will last till they get Legends?
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

3. - Top - End - #1413
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PraetorDragoon View Post
    The change to the Drakkfoot-Morathi interaction isn't that surprising to be honest. Seemed a bit of an oversight.

Quite surprising to see the regular Greenskins in the big waagh indeed. I guess that will last till they get Legends?
    The fact that they got a FAQ to be "2.0'd" makes me think they're sticking around for a while. Very interesting, opens up a lot of builds.

4. - Top - End - #1414
    Titan in the Playground

Ogors look good! Mortal wounds on charge, bonus movement when outside combat and bonus bravery when in it - and their terrain piece heals d3 wounds across half the board. I'm definitely thinking of picking up two halves of the Feast Of Bones box and a Beastclaw Raiders start collecting - that should get me to about 1500pts, and adding some ironguts/more leadbelchers/a butcher should probably get me to 2k.

5. - Top - End - #1415
    Ogre in the Playground

Bonereapers have good rules, but some steep point costs. It'll be interesting how the army builds will come together.
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

6. - Top - End - #1416

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by 9mm View Post
    Bonereapers have good rules, but some steep point costs. It'll be interesting how the army builds will come together.
    Personally I think that due that the +1 save legion is so stupidly good and there being only 2 battleline choices will make army diversity not that interesting, but we will see. Especially because both battleline options are price.

Nontheless, outside of the +1 save legion nothing jumps out as too stupid, which is a bit of a positive.
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

7. - Top - End - #1417
    Titan in the Playground

I enjoy that the fluff for the +1 save legion is that they are made of fossilised bone, when the setting itself is only on the order of a few thousand years old. GW leaning hard into "Satan Tzeentch put the bones there to test your faith".
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

8. - Top - End - #1418
    Banned

Greetings!

I've got a sort-of odd request which I realize is a lot of work for no real benefit.

We've got a bunch of ancients who played Warhammer Fantasy and refused to make the jump to AoS lurking somewhere in the city. These ante-diluvian folks are very, very reticent to buying new minis due to having collected for centuries when man was young and the earth was wild.

So, with Cities now out, what old Warhammer Fantasy models have become viable to use in Age of Sigmar? What can an Empire / High Elf player salvage from their collections to use as the basis for a Cities army? Being able to ally in Stormcast / Sylvaneth is great, since it means not all the 2000 points have to be made of old stuff, but I know the only way to convince them will be if they can use as much as possible.

I've briefly skimmed the book, but am at a loss about unit equivalence, as I never actually played Fantasy, just loved the lore.

9. - Top - End - #1419
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by LansXero View Post
    So, with Cities now out, what old Warhammer Fantasy models have become viable to use in Age of Sigmar? What can an Empire / High Elf player salvage from their collections to use as the basis for a Cities army?
    City Traits and Stuff

I did all the Human stuff

Basically, anything <Human>, is good, except for...
    Freeguild Outriders, and it's just that Flagellants are difficult to use. Flagellants are not bad...When used correctly. Unfortunately, using them incorrectly is way too easy and they're just not worth the hassle.

If your players truly are old Empire neckbeards, they should have huge blocks of Halberdiers, Spearmen, and a few bricks of Handgunners or Crossbowmen. In which case they've already set themselves up to start one of the better builds in the book. If they have a brick of 30 Greatswords...Well, they're close to being the best unit in the entire book.

If they have any of the Empire Artillery...It's all basically useless now except for a really specific army build that isn't even that good.

High Elves...Have all but been squatted. That being said, the 'Phoenix' named units rank among the top tier of the 'Tome. However, it's non-viable to run an army entirely made up of what you know as High Elves. You have to dip into either some Exiles, Wanderers, or Humans...And Duardin. The 'Tome simply isn't designed for you to go mono-Race.

Mostly, if you play Dwarves or High Elves, you got screwed. But, you can always try and refluff your existing models to fit the new rules. However, you will run into situations where your High Elf Spearmen all have the <Human> Keyword for some reason which, depending on the size of their neckbeard, might scratch it the wrong way.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2019-10-28 at 12:10 PM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

10. - Top - End - #1420
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    City Traits and Stuff

I did all the Human stuff

Basically, anything <Human>, is good, except for...
    Freeguild Outriders, and it's just that Flagellants are difficult to use. Flagellants are not bad...When used correctly. Unfortunately, using them incorrectly is way too easy and they're just not worth the hassle.

If your players truly are old Empire neckbeards, they should have huge blocks of Halberdiers, Spearmen, and a few bricks of Handgunners or Crossbowmen. In which case they've already set themselves up to start one of the better builds in the book. If they have a brick of 30 Greatswords...Well, they're close to being the best unit in the entire book.

If they have any of the Empire Artillery...It's all basically useless now except for a really specific army build that isn't even that good.

High Elves...Have all but been squatted. That being said, the 'Phoenix' named units rank among the top tier of the 'Tome. However, it's non-viable to run an army entirely made up of what you know as High Elves. You have to dip into either some Exiles, Wanderers, or Humans...And Duardin. The 'Tome simply isn't designed for you to go mono-Race.

Mostly, if you play Dwarves or High Elves, you got screwed. But, you can always try and refluff your existing models to fit the new rules. However, you will run into situations where your High Elf Spearmen all have the <Human> Keyword for some reason which, depending on the size of their neckbeard, might scratch it the wrong way.
    What about Wizards? I think the Hurricanum was a thing back then, right? Are the new battlemage / battlemage on gryphon new models?

Are Steam Tanks as garbage as they seem to be?

Dark Elfs and Daughters of Khaine are entirely different model ranges, correct? So no salvaging there either. None of the old High elf models have a sigmar counterpart then? Or they do, but its just not very good?

11. - Top - End - #1421
    Firbolg in the Playground

Daughters of Khaine took the various Witch Elf models, and added a whole pile more. The rest of the Dark Elf line was either discontinued (making the only Dark Elf minis I have, the bolt thrower and a sorceress on cold one, useless), or rolled into Cities of Sigmar. Looking at their website, the old many-mini-faction shenanigans may be gone, but for right now it still matters for allying in other armies.

In terms of what's left, the Games Workshop website not has one "Cities of Sigmar" section instead of them all divided up, so you can just make a list of stuff going through that.

in terms of high elves... there are Shadow Warriors, the ice or fire Phoenixes, and Phoenix Guard. That's it. You can proxy for most other stuff, and just say "well this city of Sigmar is mostly spear-elves with shields" and run them as Eternal Guard or Dreadspears, but that depends on how willing you are to proxy away your high elf fluff.

For Dwarves, they just lost the cheap infantry and the artillery. Ironbreakers, Longbeards, Irondrakes, Hammerers, and the aircraft are all still available. Can't speak to quality though.
    Last edited by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll; 2019-10-28 at 04:15 PM.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

12. - Top - End - #1422
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

What about Wizards? I think the Hurricanum was a thing back then, right? Are the new battlemage / battlemage on gryphon new models?
    Everything <Human>, is good. That includes the Hurricanum and Battlemages.
    The Battlemages are not new models, they're just reboxed.
    The Gryphon on Battlemage is not a new model. However, the fact that in previous editions, the kit built Karl Franz, or Generals on Griffons, nobody has every actually seen a Battlemage on Gryphon in the wild because why would you have a Battlemage when you could run Karl Franz, instead?

Are Steam Tanks as garbage as they seem to be?
    Absolutely not.
    ...They're worse!

Okay. New rule. Everything <Human> that isn't in the Ironweld Arsenal, is good.

Dark Elfs and Daughters of Khaine are entirely different model ranges, correct?
    Daughters of Khaine merely removed all the semi-naked lady models and put them into their own Faction. Because if you don't separate the genders, how can you market that you have a Faction of 'No Boys Allowed'?
    EDIT: Cheesegear goes to school.

...But for real. You can use pretty much all Dark Elf models that you currently have, except for Bolt Throwers. However, some of those models might now be in the Daughters of Khaine 'Tome, not Cities.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2019-10-29 at 03:14 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

13. - Top - End - #1423

Beholder

Daughters of Khaine merely removed all the semi-naked lady models and put them into their own Faction. Because if you don't separate the genders, how can you market that you have a Faction of 'No Boys Allowed'? ...But for real. You can use pretty much all Dark Elf models that you currently have, except for Bolt Throwers. However, some of those models might now be in the Daughters of Khaine 'Tome, not Cities.
    Hey now, the semi-naked elf men known as the Doomfire Warlocks are also in there.

14. - Top - End - #1424
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Hey now, the semi-naked elf men known as the Doomfire Warlocks are also in there.
    ...Well that's me learned.
    Also, IIRC, Doomfire Warlocks are one of the best units in the 'Tome.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

15. - Top - End - #1425

Beholder

...Well that's me learned.
    Also, IIRC, Doomfire Warlocks are one of the best units in the 'Tome.
    They're a fast mage unit with a decent spell and a good spell lore. Hard to go wrong there.

Afaik the only bad units in the Tome are the snake archers and the mirror altar thing.

16. - Top - End - #1426

Beholder

Between the War Hydra and the Kharibdyss, which one do you rate higher?

EDIT: also, how well do Evocators on Dracolines rate?
    Last edited by PraetorDragoon; 2019-10-29 at 04:20 PM.

17. - Top - End - #1427
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Between the War Hydra and the Kharibdyss, which one do you rate higher?

EDIT: also, how well do Evocators on Dracolines rate?
    Evos on Dracolines are solid but want to run in larger than min units, so you're looking at at least a 600 point investment, and that's not counting if you want support in a Stormcast hero or not. You might not need one in Cities, since you can take things like Generals on Griffon, though.

18. - Top - End - #1428
    Banned

So they can only ever know Empower? yeesh, I'd been casting Celestial Blades with them xD. Can they cast Endless spells?

19. - Top - End - #1429

Beholder

So they can only ever know Empower? yeesh, I'd been casting Celestial Blades with them xD. Can they cast Endless spells?
    Evocators only know Empower and can only cast Empower. So no lore spells or endless spells.

Which makes them kinda useless as they seemed like a good caster for the Anvilgard Venom Spray spell. Alas.

20. - Top - End - #1430
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

They can cast Celestial Blades. The only spells they can know from outside their warscroll is the Lore of Invigoration, per an errata.

21. - Top - End - #1431
    Banned

They can cast Celestial Blades. The only spells they can know from outside their warscroll is the Lore of Invigoration, per an errata.
    Ah, thats great. Wounding in 2s is pretty cool, and since they're so expensive its kind of needed because if they dont make a large impact before being removed its a lot of wasted points.

22. - Top - End - #1432

Beholder

Ah, I see. I somehow missed that errata.

Doesn't help me for Cities of Sigmar though, as I need someone to run the short ranged Venom Spray.

23. - Top - End - #1433
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Ah, I see. I somehow missed that errata.

Doesn't help me for Cities of Sigmar though, as I need someone to run the short ranged Venom Spray.
    I think you could use them as a bodyguard for a Sorceress on Dragon, Battlemage on Griffon, or even an Arcanum on Tauralon/Dracoline/Gryph-Charger if you wanted to. Wizard casts Spray, Evos go clean up shop.

24. - Top - End - #1434

Beholder

I think you could use them as a bodyguard for a Sorceress on Dragon, Battlemage on Griffon, or even an Arcanum on Tauralon/Dracoline/Gryph-Charger if you wanted to. Wizard casts Spray, Evos go clean up shop.
    Having just empower is a pity though.

I guess a sorceress on a Dragon might be the best Venom Spray caster.

25. - Top - End - #1435

Beholder

Warcry monsters! Slaves to Darkness!

https://www.warhammer-community.com/...mepage-post-1/

Never expected to see new Chaos Warriors/Knights.

EDIT: also a new start collecting Slaves to Darkness (poor, poor naming for the acronym) with 10 of the new chaos warriors, 5 of the new chaos knights, and the new lord. It calls to me.
    Last edited by PraetorDragoon; 2019-11-02 at 04:48 PM.

26. - Top - End - #1436
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

EDIT: also a new start collecting Slaves to Darkness (poor, poor naming for the acronym) with 10 of the new chaos warriors, 5 of the new chaos knights, and the new lord. It calls to me.
    Nailed it. Every single model in that post is absolutely glorious.

27. - Top - End - #1437
    Ogre in the Playground

Slaves to Darkness right after Bonereapers?

Hopefully someone will grab the Godsworn warband battle box soon from my local store or RIP my wallet.
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

28. - Top - End - #1438
    Colossus in the Playground

Just picked up the Reaper half of Feast of Bone.

What's the best build options for them?
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

29. - Top - End - #1439

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Just picked up the Reaper half of Feast of Bone.

What's the best build options for them?
    Mortek guard are classic infantry, so swords for small units (10-20) and spears for larger ones (20+). The 1 in 10 greatswords are okay, but better in a spear unit. (as the spears lack rend)

Necropolis Stalkers are a hammer unit, while the Immortis Guard are an anvil one. To get the most out of Immortis you want to have a Liege with "My Will" on them. (+1 attack combined with multiple weapons and pile in a second time with the shields from themselves is solid) You do need stalkers for the battalion.

Morghasts want halberds afaik. Archai have a 5+ shrug against mortal wounds (and only mortal wounds!) Harbringers can charge 18" and have 3d6 charge distance.

Best way is to use the Mortek as anvils (need more bodies than 10 though) with the stalkers are the hammer. Archai/Harbringers can be used as flankers.

30. - Top - End - #1440
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Just fantastic. Yes, it's not truly new stuff for StD, but those sculpts definitely keep the feeling of the classic models while still adding a nice dynamic feel.

And the Warcry monsters, oof, so nice looking. The Ogroid will look great next to my Silver Tower Thaumaturge.

And with this, what armies aren't included in a true Battletome? Tzeentch and KO might want an updated book, but it's only Seraphon that truly don't have a book, right? Pretty impressive getting everything out so fast, matching that 40k pace.

Mortek guard are classic infantry, so swords for small units (10-20) and spears for larger ones (20+). The 1 in 10 greatswords are okay, but better in a spear unit. (as the spears lack rend)

Necropolis Stalkers are a hammer unit, while the Immortis Guard are an anvil one. To get the most out of Immortis you want to have a Liege with "My Will" on them. (+1 attack combined with multiple weapons and pile in a second time with the shields from themselves is solid) You do need stalkers for the battalion.

Morghasts want halberds afaik. Archai have a 5+ shrug against mortal wounds (and only mortal wounds!) Harbringers can charge 18" and have 3d6 charge distance.

Best way is to use the Mortek as anvils (need more bodies than 10 though) with the stalkers are the hammer. Archai/Harbringers can be used as flankers.
    I want to reiterate that if you want to run any big Heroes like Katakros, the Immortis are basically must have. Katakros is... insane. Almost busted. Maybe busted? Either way, if you're running him at all, take Immortis.