New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Attack on Titan / Shingeki No Kyojin: What's for Lunch?

Quote Originally Posted by Phexar View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah Zeke does know, it's why he lied at first and deliberately portrayed himself to Eren in the Paths Dimension as wearing chains, telling him he was bound by the First King's Will and that as a royal he couldn't use the Coordinate/Founding Titan power and only Eren could command Ymir (to test if he could truly trust Eren).

He would have been bound for real too, if he hadn't used the same loophole that Eren had access to - Eren assumed he could freely use the Coordinate/Founding Titan power by contact with Zeke (royal blood titan + non-royal titan with the Coordinate/Founding power) but it hadn't occurred to him that it could also work the other way and that Zeke could freely use it too (and that Zeke being a royal gave him priority). I don't think Zeke knew he had access to the loophole as well until he entered Paths via Eren and discovered he wasn't bound though.

Also Zeke stated that he used the Coordinate to abolish the First King's Will once he had access through the loophole, it doesn't exist anymore. It makes sense because it would have gotten in the way if Eren betrayed him and he needed to take the Founding power off him as a last resort.
    Spoiler
    Show
    More likely he would have implamented his Will so anyone that tried to undone his sterlization would be forced to follow Zeke's ideaology. Zeke doesn't have much time left as far as his 13 years goes.
    Don't know your name but bring the pain.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    What loophole did Zeke used? And how come he and Eren were in that Path desert

3. - Top - End - #363
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by -D- View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    What loophole did Zeke used? And how come he and Eren were in that Path desert
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well to start, there was two clauses basically.

1- The Coordinate/Founding Titan power can only be used by someone with royal blood, and give commands to Ymir. It seems this was because of Ymir's blind loyalty to the royal family from growing up as a slave under the Eldian king/ruler, Fritz.

2- The First King of the island, Karl Fritz, used the power of the Coordinate to put another clause on the Coordinate itself when he left for Paradis island - that if a royal inherits the Founding Titan they are subject to the First King's Will (his will) which turns them into a pacifist.

Thus these two clauses created an apparently unbreakable lock on the Coordinate. Only royals could use it, but if a royal got it then they were forced to be a pacifist and lost the will to use it in a non-pacifist way.

Eren discovered the loophole by accident when he made physical contact with Dina Fritz as the Smiling Titan - she was a royal blood titan and he was not but had the Coordinate, which allowed him to unknowingly use it freely to command the Titans to rip her apart along with attacking Reiner and Bertolt. In turn, Zeke & Eren's plan hinged on Eren making contact with Zeke, where everyone assumed that Eren would be able to use the Coordinate freely again for their plan, and not Zeke (because Eren had the Founding Titan and Zeke didn't).

However it turned out that it could work the other way too: Zeke could also freely use the power of the Coordinate by coming into contact with Eren. Even though Zeke was a royal, he didn't actually inherit the Founding Titan so he wasn't bound by the First King's Will after all. On top of that, Ymir decided to listen to him above Eren since he was a royal.

As for the Paths desert/dimension, Zeke made a guess that anyone who has the Founding Titan power enters this dimension whenever they make the choice to use the Coordinates powers. Since both Zeke & Eren had access to the power they were both brought there.
    You were born an original. Don't die a copy.
    -- John Mason.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Ettin in the Playground

New Chapter, the story moves forward to the next stage and we understand some people a little bit more...

Does anyone else have any thoughts?
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

5. - Top - End - #365
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Wow right when I got back to thinking Erin was alright he turns out to be even further off the deep end then Zeke was. I wonder if perhaps something else isn’t at play since this didn’t seem to be what he was asking of Ymir before hand.
    Last edited by Dragonus45; 2019-11-07 at 08:46 PM.

6. - Top - End - #366

Hmmm...

Spoiler
    Show
    So Marley wants to steal the Coordinate and wipe out all of the people of Paradis. That's bad.

Zeke wants to sterlize all Eldians. That's bad.

The Survey Corp wanted to use the Azumabito connection to form some diplomancy with other countries. That looks like it was always a pipe dream.

Eren's solution? KILL THEM ALL!

No place for a hero here.

7. - Top - End - #367

Never go full Sasuke.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lurkmoar View Post
    Hmmm...

Spoiler
    Show
    So Marley wants to steal the Coordinate and wipe out all of the people of Paradis. That's bad.

Zeke wants to sterlize all Eldians. That's bad.

The Survey Corp wanted to use the Azumabito connection to form some diplomancy with other countries. That looks like it was always a pipe dream.

Eren's solution? KILL THEM ALL!

No place for a hero here.
    Spoiler: HUH? ALSO FARSCAPE SPOILER
    Show
    I thought Eren said to kill everyone outside Paradiso. There is no way in hell, this sticks. He's forcing other people's hands to end this conflict. They can't kill him. And they can't kill Zeke, or else the order remains in place until new Coordinate/Royal Titan is found.

Like Crithon in Farscape, he just unleashed a powerful weapon to tell others, not to **** with him, and to force everyone to negotitate. Or else.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Braininthejar2 View Post
    Never go full Sasuke.
    Why not? I am not disagreeing with you, but is there sometimes the full Sasuke may be worse than a Status Quo that is literally hell? [Aka I am asking about the word "never" and not the word "full".]

Life has meaning if we treat it as having meaning and not just as "experiences" around "objects", to realize that people "suffer" and thus they are "subjects" who are worlds-onto-themselves inside a person and thus there must be a better way. But what happens when you have no tools to create that better way without staining your hands with evil?

[Typing this trying to articulate the problems with a Full Sasuke I realized I am actually kinda writting about another dark haired skinny anime character with eye powers.]

10. - Top - End - #370
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

There is more than one way to "destroy" a world. Just something to keep in mind.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

11. - Top - End - #371

Spoiler: HUH? ALSO FARSCAPE SPOILER
    Show
    I thought Eren said to kill everyone outside Paradiso. There is no way in hell, this sticks. He's forcing other people's hands to end this conflict. They can't kill him. And they can't kill Zeke, or else the order remains in place until new Coordinate/Royal Titan is found.

Like Crithon in Farscape, he just unleashed a powerful weapon to tell others, not to **** with him, and to force everyone to negotitate. Or else.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I was going for Kill everyone that I consider an enemy, meaning everyone that lives outside of Paradis.
    Last edited by Lurkmoar; 2019-11-14 at 03:30 PM.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Firbolg in the Playground

Can’t say I agree but... I see where he’s coming from.

It’s really a lot like Zeke, only opposite. Very opposite.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

13. - Top - End - #373
    Ettin in the Playground

New Chapter, Dec 2019,

Spoiler: Chapter 124
    Show
    Annie to save the day, so that means she is up for the first time in how many chapters? Googles so Chapter 33, that is what 7 years ago and almost 100 chapters ago.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Ettin in the Playground

New Chapter 125 (Jan 2020).

I found it disappointing.

15. - Top - End - #375

The big take away is that Floch is totally not nice if you didn't already know that.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Barbarian in the Playground

It's definitely a chapter of putting the pieces into position for whatever's going to happen later, so I think its value depends on how much I'll like what happens later.

17. - Top - End - #377
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Spoiler: Chapter 126
    Show
    I didn't mind the most recent chapter. It was nice to see a lot of the old crew back together again. I saw that a number of people were discontented about the whole team-up thing (also Isayama saying more recently that he was thinking of a Guardians of the Galaxy ending rather than a The Mist ending), but in a very recent interview Isayama did at the Final Exhibition he said he wanted to 'hurt the readers' so I don't think it's going to go all positively.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ShingekiNoK...nterview_with/

The chapter did feel a bit rushed as many noted but at the same time this was the last chapter in the volume I believe so I can see why he did that to wrap it up with that ending. I wouldn't be surprised if he elaborates more on what happened in the upcoming chapters too.

I like how the Connie thing was resolved too. He couldn't really go through with killing Falco as shown by his mediocre attempt at it with the 'tooth brushing' thing. Armin's self-loathing came to the fore here as well and so he threw it all to fate to spare Connie from doing something terrible. Whether he lived or died, Connie likely wouldn't sacrifice Falco anymore.

As for the Annie scene, Connie's told terrible jokes before when he's stressed out so that's perfectly in character. I don't know how it's all going to end. The Hange & Levi scene was nice. It looks like Levi's mostly intact after all, except for losing those two fingers. I don't know if he'll be up for any action again considering his injuries, if he is then using a gear would be difficult with the finger loss. The Mikasa/Louise scene is an interesting one and I wonder what will come from Mikasa taking the scarf with her. Maybe Louise being like a mindless Eren drone and Mikasa's attitude towards her shows that Mikasa has more free will with Eren after all.

I never expected the Survey Corps to be cool with Eren committing mass genocide and killing literally everyone that's not on the island via the Rumbling so I'm not surprised that this alliance has been formed at all. The Paradis crowd was depicted as incredibly bloodthirsty and not in the right. Not sure if peace can be made with Marley or anything. Magath might be the key since he's now the highest ranking Marley official left and he's shown some compassion towards Eldians to a point. Like I said though, I don't think it's all going to have a happy ending from Isayama's comments, and I think at the least some key characters will die.
    -- John Mason.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Spoiler
    Show
    One odd note about the Rumbling. The giant Titans seem to be moving reeeeally slow. Much slower than they should.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

19. - Top - End - #379

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    One odd note about the Rumbling. The giant Titans seem to be moving reeeeally slow. Much slower than they should.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The last titans leaving might have been from the far side of the island, and Eren had them take a circular path so they didn't march straight through human held areas. Or Eren is taking his sweet time because he knows there's a confrontation coming.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Spoiler: Chapter 127
    Show
    I liked the way this chapter worked out after the rush at the end of the last chapter. There wasn't really a flashback but there was a good lot of tension and arguing over the campfire between the unlikely alliance.

• Jean's thoughts on giving up on his peaceful fantasy makes me wonder if it's death flags for him, especially with him deciding later to come back out of the forest and rejoin the group in the morning.
    • Speaking of that, I think Sasha's father at one point mentioned that the world fighting was like everyone in a vast forest and they all needed to find their way out of it. Makes me wonder if that was linked.
    • Hange yelling about genocide being wrong feels a little like it was from the author himself in response to some fans. I did like that she admitted that she doesn't know what the fate of the island would be if Eren was stopped.
    • Magath was acting a bit more bigoted than I thought he would, but at the same time I'm not surprised and I'm glad it wasn't a fully peaceful discussion. He did go more quiet when Hange pointed out that they were willing to give up their paradise to save all the other nations from slaughter and that he'd be confused about that. Of note was when he was reaching out to comfort Gabi later on but held back. Despite his words, he does care about at least one Eldian after all, and we've seen hints of that with his attitude towards Eldians before. I think it could likely be a turning point for him, and he may well be thinking that over.
    • Annie correctly points out that Eren's friends might not be able to kill him and they might fight them over it. But she is more than willing to take the peaceful option first, all she cares about is saving her dad, whatever works.
    • Turns out Yelena's backstory isn't what she claimed it was. Just a fantasy. She did then roast everyone else over their flaws though, which was enjoyable. Not sure how much she knows about Eren's plans since she was on the Zeke train. Then the story came out about Marco with Jean smashing Reiner's face in. Knowing Reiner he probably feels he deserves it.
    • Gabi seemed to imply that her parents had been killed in Liberio but I might be reading that wrong. Her words ultimately ended the night where she begged for peace in tears.
    • I liked Levi getting the last word complaining about the noise lol.
    • I also liked Annie sombrely reminding Jean that she was responsible for Marco's death too the next day when he was talking about not forgiving Reiner. She wasn't letting her part be forgotten.
    • Looks like a showdown with Floch is happening next chapter. The mystery person at the window last time must have tipped him off. He and the Yeagerists are now the last main obstacle between the alliance and Eren.

-- John Mason.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Spoiler: Chapter 128
    Show
    It seems that Floch and the Yeagerists gathered at the port to secure the Azumabitos and the airships rather than arriving early to counter the alliance. Ultimately they need to steal an airship to reach Eren but they need the Azumabito workers to provide maintenance as well. Annie correctly points out the difficulty in somehow swiping an airship and the Azumabito while not harming any Yeagerists. Connie feels upset about having to kill anyone if they're trying to save people. Reiner has an epiphany that when Eren said he was just like him, that might have meant that Eren wouldn't hold back from killing people just like when Reiner and the others attacked the walls.

Hange sees that the Wall Titans have reached northeast Marley in the distance and have probably destroyed every city there. Magath snaps and breaks Yelena's arm while demanding Eren's location. Yelena tearfully says that she doesn't want to die and she wants to see how it will all end, and that she might tell him Eren's location if they keep bringing her along.

After glancing at Gabi, Magath feels regret and apologizes to the Squad about saying he knows it was wrong to hold them responsible for the sins of their ancestors and that they were not at fault, knowing that Marleyans weren't really in the right. He apologizes to the Warriors as well saying that there's no reason for them to have to shoulder the worlds hatred and that they can't keep passing the bloodshed onto future generations (like Gabi and Falco), and that if Eren kills everyone then people will only forget the past and ignore the foolishness, continuing the cycle. We always knew Magath was more aware of Marleys own sins, and now he's finally able to admit it to himself. We also see the flaw in Eren's plan that he's pointed out too.

Floch acts smugly to Kiyomi before she tells him that even if the outside world is destroyed then the world will just be smaller and people of Paradis will eventually start killing each other anyway because that's what people are like, similar to Magath's earlier speech (and we've already seen plenty of infighting and death from the people of Paradis). He tells her that she is to know her place and that they don't really need the Azumabitos and if they shrug off luxuries like airships then they can 'pluck away the seeds of unease'. Armin pops up with Connie claiming to Floch that they need an airship and the Azumabito workers to pursue the Cart and Armored Titans over the sea. While Floch thinks it over, Armin & Connie go to the docks and run into Daz and Samuel, two of their former comrades from the Training Corps who we both last saw in the Trost Arc. Unfortunately the Yeagerists don't really trust them and check the bombs on the airships.

Floch decides to start killing the Azumabitos because he doesn't trust the Squad due to them sneaking around, but gets tackled by Kiyomi. Mikasa bursts through the window and rescues her while Floch flees outside and calls to attack the 'traitors'. They in turn get saved by Magath, Hange & Jean in the building and then hide out in the basement.

Meanwhile Daz prepares to blow up the airships. Armin tries to stop him but gets shot several times by Samuel, including his jaw probably to ensure he can't talk his way out of it like he has previously. Daz freezes up as Samuel starts crying over the betrayal as he holds them at gunpoint. Floch suddenly realizes that the alliance went into the basement because they wouldn't be in the way of a Shifter attack, just as Annie and Reiner appear and transform into the Female and Armored Titans and start attacking the Yeagerists.

As Samuel is distracted by the Titan transformations, Connie tackles him and tries to wrestle the gun off him. Samuel again tells Daz to blow the airship up. Armin lunges at Daz who then holds him at gunpoint as well in a panic. As Samuel screams at Connie about them being traitors, Connie acknowledges that they are indeed comrades before snapping and yanking Samuel's gun away from him, using it to shoot Daz twice in the head and then Samuel twice in the face while in tears as Armin looks on with a defeated expression, bringing Connie's comments at the start of the chapter about killing people to save people full circle.
    Last edited by Phexar; 2020-04-10 at 06:03 PM.
    -- John Mason.

22. - Top - End - #382

It was nice seeing Daz and Samuel again...

Spoiler
    Show
    For the last time no less.

Always wondered what happened to them. I suppose they went into the Garrison branch.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Ettin in the Playground

Sigh it is amazing how six months changed how I feel about this series. Small details adding up to be the straw that broke the camel’s back. I had lots of things I was uncomfortable with earlier and now I am finding less joy in the series and those problems seem a whole lot bigger.

24. - Top - End - #384

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    Sigh it is amazing how six months changed how I feel about this series. Small details adding up to be the straw that broke the camel’s back. I had lots of things I was uncomfortable with earlier and now I am finding less joy in the series and those problems seem a whole lot bigger.
    Lack of people to root for?

25. - Top - End - #385
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

With all the lockdown's going on the manga has been delayed for a month, so there's no new issue this time around. I'm happy about where the story's going so far though I wonder about how it's going to wind up in the end. I've just got a few characters in mind that I'm really hoping survive to the end, but who knows what will happen.

That said I do wonder how on earth the final season of the anime is going to cover all this + the Marley arc. I wonder if the season will be a good bit longer than usual even with a split cour added (I can definitely see them adding that after the whole Marley arc).
    -- John Mason.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Ogre in the Playground

Lack of people to root for?
    I had this problem with series, ever since the Rebellion arc.

I'm honestly forgetting it even exists. Well I have this thread.

27. - Top - End - #387

I had this problem with series, ever since the Rebellion arc.

I'm honestly forgetting it even exists. Well I have this thread.
    On one side you have racist exterminators, on the other, well meaning but totally ineffectual people who have totally lost control of the situation, another set of racist exterminators, and Eren who seems to be going for Pay Evil unto Evil and Do to others before them the Do you in.
    Last edited by Lurkmoar; 2020-05-11 at 07:36 PM.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Ogre in the Playground

On one side you have racist exterminators, on the other, well-meaning but totally ineffectual people who have totally lost control of the situation, another set of racist exterminators, and Eren who seems to be going for Pay Evil unto Evil and Do to others before them the Do you in.
    Well, you have racist exterminators and their army zealots. On the other hand, you have racist exterminators. On the third hand, you have xenophobic isolationists, and on the fourth hand, you have Eren that seemingly jumped on racist exterminators bandwagon.

I have no idea where this is going. It was intriguing to a point, but I don't have anyone to relate to, and I am just drifting, waiting for it to end. AoT is a rare manga that overstood its welcome.

EDIT: I think the author will do a nice twist with Eren, so that's kinda the only thing why I'm even following it.
    Last edited by -D-; 2020-05-12 at 09:51 AM.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

The first trailer for the final season has just been revealed. It's now being worked on by Studio Mappa replacing Studio Wit. Also a new film called "Attack on Titan: Chronicle" has been announced for July 17th, which will summarize the first 3 seasons.

Spoiler: Movie trailer and other images & links
    Show
    Last edited by Phexar; 2020-05-29 at 07:07 PM.
    -- John Mason.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Nuts, the vid is showing as "unavailable" when you try and play it.