New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: Attack on Titan / Shingeki No Kyojin: What's for Lunch?

Quote Originally Posted by danzibr View Post
    Since when?

Speaking of which (sorta), I'm finally caught up!
    Spoiler: Thoughts
    Show
    I was getting pretty frustrated with the manga, fighting the same guys over and over, almost kill them numerous times, making little to no progress. Then finally, Armin becomes a titan and eats Berthold (or however you spell it), and they reclaim wall Maria. The loss was great, but hey, progress.

Oh, and yeah, Beast Titan gets away with Reiner. Of course, can't off all the bad guys.
    Start on manga 15.
    "Sons of Gondor! Of Rohan! My brothers! I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me! A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day. An hour of wolves and shattered shields when the age of Men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid you stand! Men of the West!" -Aragorn, Lord of the Rings

I'm 8BitNinja's Brother

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Green Elf View Post
    Start on manga 15.
    Manga 15?

Do you mean Chapter 15?

Or Manga Volume 15? Which starts with Chapter 59 and ends with Chapter 62?
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    Manga 15?

Do you mean Chapter 15?

Or Manga Volume 15? Which starts with Chapter 59 and ends with Chapter 62?
    Manga 15.
    Manga Volume 15.
    "Sons of Gondor! Of Rohan! My brothers! I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me! A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day. An hour of wolves and shattered shields when the age of Men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid you stand! Men of the West!" -Aragorn, Lord of the Rings

I'm 8BitNinja's Brother

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

Massive Infodump

I have not seen an english version of this manga translation yet with the english in the speech bubbles (but that will come soon), but so far there has been translations of Attack on Titan Chapter 86 in several different languages.

Spoiler: Chapter 86
    Show

Making sense of the history / infodump that was presented.

• Almost two thousand years ago, 1820 years ago, A girl known as Ymir Fritz made a deal with a devil and gained the power of the titans. She was a titan that was extremely humanoid with boobs and tits, and she and her people conquered the world. Here people was the Eldia.
    • When Ymir Fritz died, her "soul" was split among 9 people and we have 9 titan shifters
    • About 1700 years later (so 120 years ago), the Titan War started, Mare which is a collection of multiple tribes who were oppressed by the Eldia. Somehow acquired some of the titan shifters, and after 80 years of fighting they gained 7 of the 9 Titan Shifters
    • I am speculating here, but based off what was revealed in Chapter 86 the Titan Wars is probably when mindless titans appeared, but that does not mean they were widespread.
    • During the titan wars King Fritz inherited the coordinate and he was of the Eldia (the people who ruled the world for 1700 years, but lost 7 of the 9 titan shifters). King Fritz decided to go to Paradi Island. He used the coordinate to create the 3 walls (out of titans) and many of the Eldia entered the walls and had their memories wiped. This action more or less made a ceasefire / limited peace of the Titan Wars. He was the 145th descendent of Ymir Fritz
    • Mare now rules the world besides the walled areas of Paradi Island. They also possess 7 of the 9 Titan Shifters. They now turned the tables and are oppressing and ghetozing the remaining Eldia who stayed behind.
    • Eldia Revivalists exist in the ghetto and are plotting revolution / warfare
    • Some of the fritz family stayed behind and did not go with King Fritz to the 3 walls. One of such people and probably the only survivor is Daina Fritz. The plan of the Eldia Revivalists is to sneak into the walls civilization and kidnap and acquire the coordinate with Daina Fritz leading them
    • Daina Fritz and Grisha Yeager get married and have a son. His name is Zeke / Sieg which means victory.
    • Turns out Mare wants to also acquire the lands of the walled civilization on Paradi island. They have the military power with world war 1ish technology with airplanes to easily conquer the walled civilization (full of Eldians) but they can't for the person with the coordinate could easily free the titans within the walls and unleash a hell on earth.
    • Instead they must also acquire the coordinate via subterfuge. They stated to the Eldians in ghettos that they want 7 children between the ages of 5 to 7 to become honorary Mare warriors, and it seems like they will inherit the titan shifter ability. Besides the titan shifters becoming honorary Mare there families will as well
    • Daina Fritz and Grisha Yeager enlist their son Zeke to this program
    • Zeke betrays them (when he becomes 7) and turns them over to the secret police
    • Daina Fritz, Grisha Yeager, and the rest of the Eldia Revivalists will be sent to Paradi Island, note this also is being called sent to heaven (a colloquialism for being disappeared) and Daina Fritz and Grisha Yeager and rest will be turn into mindless titans

More stuff but this remaining stuff is speculation
    • Some of the Eladia Revivalists look like some of the mindless titans we have seen
    • Notably, Daina Fritz (mother of Zeke and Grisha's 1st wife) looks like the smiling titan, the titan who ate Eren's mother. If so Daina Fritz ate Eren's mom and Eren via the Coordinate caused other titans to eat Zeke's mom
    • Paradi Island and the nearby continent look like Africa and Madagascar except flipped with the South Areas of Africa in the real world would be the north areas of Attack on Titan in their world. Note the climates of the lands are very different with Paradi Island being more like northern europe. In other worlds this is not the world we live in today, unless some form of Ragnarok type thing happened similar to how in the Tolkein universe the world was destroyed and rebuilt / heavily warped several times throughout history.
    • We do not know how much of this history we can take at face value due to unreliable narrator problems. For example the history of the Eladia is told via three different "sources", one of a source of people meant to keep the Eladia as underclass citizens and to instill fear into their children and fear of a secret police, the second was ruins and hieroglyphics which no one can read but people can glance at, and the oral histories of Daina Fritz. No doubt Zeke will claim different histories, and one of the big themes of this series is unreliable narrators, secret histories, and the power of propaganda.
    • We do not really know how mindless titans arose, but it is evident that they became more numerous during the titan war, and that the Mare have the power to convert people into titans (probably related to the aerosolized thing Zeke did to create titans)
    • Edit: Forgot to mention on the unreliable narrator part, anybody that read chapter 86 should reread chapter 54, for we also got a different version of the story of what happened 1800 years ago in a scene involving Historia Reiss and Freya Reiss, pay particular attention to the book Historia is learning to read from with instructruction by Freya. Freya then wipes Historia's memories in chapter 54.

Last edited by Ramza00; 2016-10-06 at 07:14 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

English version is out.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Ramza00 has gotten it right.

Spoiler
    Show
    Huge info dump. So Eren and Zeke are half brothers. And Historia and Eren as distantly related (by marriage) as well. Grisha must have forgotten about his first wife or thought she was dead. I do note believe in "deal with the devil" for the Titian power, but it does prove my idea nanotech was wrong. There are supposed to be a total of 9 Shifter Titians and we have not seen that many yet, so we might get some new players in the game at some point. And one last point. The first person with Titian Powers was Ymir Ftitz. And oddly we have a Ymir wandering the story who we don't have a solid history on other than she is a Shifter Titian and is old.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Yeah, not much to add to Ramza... the unreliable narrator bit might never get totally cleared up, but I guess the truth is somewhere in the middle.
    The hint with Ymir is almost too obvious to be true we'll see..
    Also.... yikes, I hope the author knows what he is doing with these.. parallels... to history...
    And this background explains a lot about our shifter's characters...
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Refresh my memory, is Zeke the beast titan? would explain his slightly strange attitude.

And why should the author care about the parallels to history he might be drawing? its an exiting time with lots of interesting drama.
    Though reminds me, are we allowed to discuss that? isnt it history at this point?
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Refresh my memory, is Zeke the beast titan? would explain his slightly strange attitude.

And why should the author care about the parallels to history he might be drawing? its an exiting time with lots of interesting drama.
    Though reminds me, are we allowed to discuss that? isnt it history at this point?
    Yes. I had vague memory of it, others much clearer, apparently. It was mentioned back in chapter 70 or so.

Well, I think we are allowed to discuss things that happened, but we should be careful about any... controversial parts?
    I'm pretty sure he cares for the parallels or he wouldn't put them in so blatantly... pretty sure the predominant German names in the cast are not coincidental now.
    "What's done is done."

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

We should be careful about talking about fictional world history, and its parallels with our history here on earth, not because talking about history is banned on GITP forums, but because talking about controversial topics such as Politics, Religion, etc is banned.

One of the themes of the manga is it takes alot of inspiration from Norse mythology which is a mythology that includes things such as Ymir (which is part of the creation myth, note there is not 1 creation myth but many in Norse mythology), wars between Gods and Giants, and so on. In fact several of the names in Attack on Titan are heavily involved in Norse Mythology, or the mythology of other places in northern europe.

Another theme of the manga is looking into the ideal of totalitarian governments, governments runned by dictator's, secret police, official history of the world (vs the real history), propaganda, etc. Some people will say X will be like the Nazi's, or the Stalinist USSR, or the North Koreans, or X.

Who this totalitarian government is most like really does not matter for this story is not a 1:1 allegory where the totalitarian government is supposed to represent X, like in George Orwell's animal farm which is supposed to represent the Russian Revolution. Yes the story does deal with totalitarian themes, but it is not a 1:1 allegory, where certain things are proxies for other things.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Firbolg in the Playground

Huh. Knowing this, it'd be really interesting to go back and reread the series. Moreso when the next chapter comes out.

Oh, and I just discovered Before the Fall. Just read the first couple pages, get into that tomorrow.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Sorry, I lost you at "there are nine Titan shifters":'(

I'm 8BitNinja's Brother

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Green Elf View Post
    Sorry, I lost you at "there are nine Titan shifters":'(
    That comment was not me explaining what happened in Chapter 59 to 86, but instead just talking about 86 and trying to make sense of it all for it was an infodump chapter and the info did not come from the same source (narratively it was a person recalling his past, but the sources of info from his past are different and each source of info is partial and disjointed). In addition it was a nested story where you are telling a general person life story but also exploring a greater history of a people and a culture. It was me making sure I understand what happened by laying out step by step what occurred over 40 something pages.

14. - Top - End - #44

Spoiler
    Show
    So there was some mega Shifter that gave her powers to 9 of her people? Which do we know?

Fritz line->Fritz sister->Dr. Yeager->Erin: Controller
    Mare people->person at the beginning of the manga->Ymir: Speedy (though this may not be an actual power)
    Mare people->Berthold->Armin: Colossal
    Mare people->Dude whose name I'm forgetting: Armored
    Mare people->Zeke: Beast
    Mare people->Dude: Quadruped
    Mare people->Annie: Dunno what her special power is

That leaves 2 more, one which the Mare people had, and one not.

Huh, so I guess before the fall of Wall Maria, those 7 people came over to get the Controller power, right? Can't attack with an army because of what we learned in this chapter. Come to think of it, I'd better read Before the Fall before I continue in this thread :P

Damn, this manga just keeps getting better.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Spoiler
    Show
    Annie has a variant of armor hardening. Instead of hardening most of her body, she only hardens small sections (most often the back of her neck) She was also encased in a slab of super hard crystal last time we saw her.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Annie has a variant of armor hardening. Instead of hardening most of her body, she only hardens small sections (most often the back of her neck) She was also encased in a slab of super hard crystal last time we saw her.
    Spoiler: Female Titan Stuff
    Show

Annie also has a roar that can summon titans, giving limited control over the titans.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Bugbear in the Playground

Whelp...

Spoiler
    Show
    Now my next question is... who did Dr Yeager eat to get his humanity back? The other shifter that left with the King to Paradi Island?
    Don't know your name but bring the pain.

18. - Top - End - #48

Quote Originally Posted by Lurkmoar View Post
    Whelp...

Spoiler
    Show
    Now my next question is... who did Dr Yeager eat to get his humanity back? The other shifter that left with the King to Paradi Island?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hmm. So there were two shifters left in the walls a hundred years ago or whatever, right? We know that Grisha stole the Coordinate power from Frieda Reiss (which is how Eren was able to get it from Grisha), but Grisha was already a shifter at that point.

Shifters we currently know are from Mare/"the village":
    1. Armored Titan (Reiner)
    2. Colossal Titan (Bertholdt; now Armin)
    3. Female Titan (Annie)
    4. Dancing Titan (Ymir; previously Marcel, who was sent along with Reiner, Bertholdt, and Annie)
    5. Beast Titan (Zeke)
    6. ??*
    7. ??
    Shifters we currently know are from the walls:
    8. Progenitor Titan** (Frieda Reiss, Uri Reiss, &c., back to the King Fritz; now apparently part of Eren's titan)
    9. ??
    Shifters whose origins we don't currently know:
    Rogue Titan (Eren; previously Grisha, from an unknown source***)

*It's possible that the Quadrupedal Titan is another Mare Shifter, but we don't know yet.
    **Also, the Progenitor Titan doesn't exist as a distinct Shifter anymore; it seems to have been subsumed into Grisha/Eren's titan.
    ***Grisha shows up outside the walls as a human (presumably already a Shifter) in 830. Eren is born in 835. Annie, Reiner, Bertholdt, and Marcel don't attack the walls until 845. (Grisha eats Frieda Reiss and turns Eren into a titan in 845.) Zeke doesn't show up until 850, and he's obviously an adult at this point. It's hard to tell because of how sketchy the art style is, but I would guess he's around 30+. So it's probably been around 25 years since Zeke (age 7) turned his parents over to the Mare government. (The wikia timeline guesses Zeke was born ~816, which would make him 34 now, and that he turned his parents in ~823. The wikia authors also have access to some of the light novels and official guidebooks that I haven't seen, though, so maybe they're right.) However old he is, that leaves at least 7 years in between Grisha being caught by the Mare government and Grisha showing up outside the walls. That's probably too long for us to assume that there's any way he escaped without being turned into a mindless titan and then gotten Shifter powers later in some complicated plot twist. So if we're assuming that he was actually a mindless titan outside the walls, he has to have eaten somebody to become a Shifter. Since that was 15 years before the attack on the walls, I don't think it's particularly likely that he ate a Mare Shifter. So he probably ate the as-yet-unknown second Shifter from the walls. That said, I would have expected the Reiss family to know who the second Shifter was, that they had died, and that somebody had taken their power, but Rod Reiss specifically said that he didn't know anything about Grisha. So yeah, I have no idea where Grisha got his power.
    Jude P.

19. - Top - End - #49

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    However old he is, that leaves at least 7 years in between Grisha being caught by the Mare government and Grisha showing up outside the walls. That's probably too long for us to assume that there's any way he escaped without being turned into a mindless titan and then gotten Shifter powers later in some complicated plot twist. So if we're assuming that he was actually a mindless titan outside the walls, he has to have eaten somebody to become a Shifter. Since that was 15 years before the attack on the walls, I don't think it's particularly likely that he ate a Mare Shifter. So he probably ate the as-yet-unknown second Shifter from the walls. That said, I would have expected the Reiss family to know who the second Shifter was, that they had died, and that somebody had taken their power, but Rod Reiss specifically said that he didn't know anything about Grisha. So yeah, I have no idea where Grisha got his power.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The funny thing is, it's likely that Grisha has no idea WHO he got the shifter mojo from. Armin and Eren had no recollections of their mindless states. Grisha would only have the lore he got from his time in the Elodian Restoration Movement and knowledge about Titans from Diana, so he probably knew that the transfer happens via cannibalism. The identity of the shifter could be one mystery that Grisha racked his brain about for years and never got an answer. But... there were three journals... so maybe someone was around to clue him in?

Also... if one Titan Shifter eats all the others... does that mean Ymir Fritz is reborn mentally?

20. - Top - End - #50

Spoiler
    Show
    The funny thing is, it's likely that Grisha has no idea WHO he got the shifter mojo from. Armin and Eren had no recollections of their mindless states. Grisha would only have the lore he got from his time in the Elodian Restoration Movement and knowledge about Titans from Diana, so he probably knew that the transfer happens via cannibalism. The identity of the shifter could be one mystery that Grisha racked his brain about for years and never got an answer. But... there were three journals... so maybe someone was around to clue him in?

Also... if one Titan Shifter eats all the others... does that mean Ymir Fritz is reborn mentally?
    Spoiler
    Show
    True, although if he was able to access some of the previous Shifter's memories he might have figured it out on his own eventually. He seemed like a pretty smart guy.

Maybe? But who knows. We know that the Reiss family inherited King Fritz's will with the Progenitor Titan power, but Eren only seems to have fragments of Grisha's memories without any of the Reiss's or King Fritz's. There might be some kind of "oh, it's genetic memory so it has to be a direct relative" bs explanation later.
    Jude P.

21. - Top - End - #51

Spoiler
    Show
    Maybe? But who knows. We know that the Reiss family inherited King Fritz's will with the Progenitor Titan power, but Eren only seems to have fragments of Grisha's memories without any of the Reiss's or King Fritz's. There might be some kind of "oh, it's genetic memory so it has to be a direct relative" bs explanation later.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eren did have a few flashes of Frieda's memories. It might explain why he felt the Krista persona was somehow 'off'

22. - Top - End - #52

Spoiler
    Show
    Eren did have a few flashes of Frieda's memories. It might explain why he felt the Krista persona was somehow 'off'
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, I'm probably misremembering then. It can be kinda hard for me to keep track of everything with a long-running monthly series. Do you know which chapter(s) that was?
    Jude P.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Was Grisha a shifter before he got the Cordinate power though? Im asking because i dont recall if he harmed himself, or injected himself with something before he stole it.
    But from a storytellers perspective, then it seems like a waste to remove one of a limited number of shifters like that.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Jup, just like in Naruto... just what we need...

Was Grisha a shifter before he got the Cordinate power though? Im asking because i dont recall if he harmed himself, or injected himself with something before he stole it.
    But from a storytellers perspective, then it seems like a waste to remove one of a limited number of shifters like that.
    I was thinking the same. It seems stupid to attack the Reiss' with just any old titan, to the point of being suicidal. If he actually combined two shifters there and then we might not get an answer... unless it's in the journals.
    "What's done is done."

25. - Top - End - #55

Spoiler
    Show
    You should probably put that in spoiler tags.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, it seems like he has to have been. We've just been told that he was sentenced to be turned into a mindless titan, and we know that he showed up as a human ~7-10 years later. It's remotely possible that somehow he escaped being transformed and survived outside the walls as a human that entire time, but that's stretching suspension of disbelief a bit much even for SnK. It's simplest to assume that he ate a Shifter to be able to turn back into a human.
    Plus, when he attacked the Reiss chapel his Titan form didn't look like a standard mindless titan. Also, it would be really dumb of him to try to attack the Reiss family as a mindless titan and just hope that he'd get lucky and be able to eat Frieda despite her having the Coordinate power.
    Jude P.

26. - Top - End - #56

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, I'm probably misremembering then. It can be kinda hard for me to keep track of everything with a long-running monthly series. Do you know which chapter(s) that was?
    Spoiler
    Show
    It was chapter 53.

27. - Top - End - #57

Spoiler
    Show
    It was chapter 53.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ah okay, thanks. That was what, like two years ago now? Wow.

Oh, that's right. He remembered seeing Frieda's face in a mirror, so that has to have been her memory. But I wonder why Grisha and Eren don't seem to have been strongly affected by the Fritz/Reiss family memories when all of the Reiss family to inherit Coordinate apparently exhibited significant changes to their personality.

Edit: Oops, accidentally deleted one of the spoiler tags. Fixed.
    Last edited by noparlpf; 2016-10-15 at 06:49 PM.
    Jude P.

28. - Top - End - #58

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Jup, just like in Naruto... just what we need...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hey, Ymir Fritz was at least stated to exist so it won't be a surprise if that's someone's end goal(Night Owl: Hahaha, my evil plan to have all TEH TITAN POWERS WILL NOW HAPPEN, ONCE I EAT EREN YEAGER!). Kaguya was pretty much dropped in audience's lap in the last story arc. I'd also argue that Danzo, the Rinnegan and the Sage of the Six paths should have been mentioned MUCH, MUCH earlier given their legendary status(okay, Danzo isn't legendary, but he was a rival of the Third Hokage)

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Hey, Ymir Fritz was at least stated to exist so it won't be a surprise if that's someone's end goal(Night Owl: Hahaha, my evil plan to have all TEH TITAN POWERS WILL NOW HAPPEN, ONCE I EAT EREN YEAGER!). Kaguya was pretty much dropped in audience's lap in the last story arc. I'd also argue that Danzo, the Rinnegan and the Sage of the Six paths should have been mentioned MUCH, MUCH earlier given their legendary status(okay, Danzo isn't legendary, but he was a rival of the Third Hokage)
    But you can't do that if you make up your story as you go along Nah, I'm sure Kishi had that all planned out.. ahem.

Anyway, I'll admit, here I'd actually like it to happen. And then the combined forces of humanity to rid Earth(?) of it. (Which I guess means Levi and Mikasa)
    "What's done is done."

30. - Top - End - #60

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    But you can't do that if you make up your story as you go along Nah, I'm sure Kishi had that all planned out.. ahem.

Anyway, I'll admit, here I'd actually like it to happen. And then the combined forces of humanity to rid Earth(?) of it. (Which I guess means Levi and Mikasa)
    Nah, it'd be Levi vs. Mikasa because Levi's trying to kill Eren. Mikasa only cares about Eren, not humanity as a whole.
    Jude P.