New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Attack on Titan / Shingeki No Kyojin: What's for Lunch?

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Regarding the anime... They've really put in quite a reveal with Ymir's backstory portrayed as they did. It might be more obvious if you know the manga but even if not... Though, maybe you could also consider it a red herring.
    I do have to wonder how she knew how long she was a titan, though.
    Well, the walls have only been up for "about 100 years" and the people inside the walls have a calendar with 800-odd years on it, so maybe it's the same calendar she grew up with. Who knows, though.
    Jude P.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    Well, the walls have only been up for "about 100 years" and the people inside the walls have a calendar with 800-odd years on it, so maybe it's the same calendar she grew up with. Who knows, though.
    We can't trust the 800 odd year history calendar, for the history teacher (see the father of one of the recon / survey corps) points out the history is regularly manipulated via the people inside the walls, and his history books are proof that they do not have a neutral observer and are not the way normal people would write history books if they were organically written. See chapter 55 and 85.

Honestly the only way to truly know what is true and what is not is to find falsifiable claims and then test then with multiple sources. I am not even sure we can rely on titan memories such as Founding Titan / Progenitor Titan / The Coordinate, for this titan is poisoned via the will of the First King.

Hell the Progenitor Titan has one of its powers is to modify memories and alter sensory recall of experiences. Who is to say that the Progenitor Titan can't edit its own memories, or suppress certain details, for we already know the Progenitor Titan will exists even after a person's death, so why can't he modify the memories the Progenitor Titan exposes itself to. After all another one of its powers is titan control, so who is to say the will of the previous or future progenitor titan can't control the will of other titan shifters who are the progenitor titan.

And did I just do a matrix inside a matrix theory via accident. Talk about an Descartes Malicious Demon Thought Experiment (Descartes is recognized as the modern father of modern western political thought, science, math, and philosophy...Note Descartes is also the inventor of the coordinate system aka the coordinate...Cartesian Coordinates is literally Descartes name without the des and then with the Ian added to it. Descartes is just the french version of the latin name Cartes)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demon_...ht_experiment) and specifically this link for the Descartes Malicious Demon https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evil_demon

Someone remind me, what was the exact translation they used for the Progenitor / Coordinate power that allows it access to the memories of the world. Book of the world or something? Effectively the power of the progenitor titan is accessing the Akashic Records, the Truth, the Spiral of the Root, etc. Links to wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akashic_records and the similar but older theory of the book of life from religious thought https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Life
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

3. - Top - End - #183

Spoiler: Chapter 95
    Show
    Okay, I guess that's all nine titans accounted for now. This makes seven from Marley (Colossal, Armored, Jawed, Female, Beast, Mule*, Warhammer) so I guess now we do actually know that the Attack titan was one of the two from Paradis. It still seems weird to me that the Reiss family had no idea about it, but at least that's something cleared up.

I've seen a few translations for the quadrupedal titan. The kanji literally means something like "car power" and the wikia page is calling it "Cartman" which just sounds dumb. I think "Mule" works a bit better.
    Jude P.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    Show
    Okay, I guess that's all nine titans accounted for now. This makes seven from Marley (Colossal, Armored, Jawed, Female, Beast, Mule*, Warhammer) so I guess now we do actually know that the Attack titan was one of the two from Paradis. It still seems weird to me that the Reiss family had no idea about it, but at least that's something cleared up.

I've seen a few translations for the quadrupedal titan. The kanji literally means something like "car power" and the wikia page is calling it "Cartman" which just sounds dumb. I think "Mule" works a bit better.
    So noparlpf what is one of the words they used in chapter 95 before it is translated

Show
    On panel 5 I think it is, they use the translated word path, what is the original word that they used in the sentence "clear the path"...for the future of Eladia

5. - Top - End - #185

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    So noparlpf what is one of the words they used in chapter 95 before it is translated

Show
    On panel 5 I think it is, they use the translated word path, what is the original word that they used in the sentence "clear the path"...for the future of Eladia
    I don't actually speak Japanese, I can just read hiragana and then use Google translate to piece together sentences. Also took a bit to find the raws, let alone with legible furigana. Darn you, jpeg compression!

Spoiler
    Show
    Page five, center panel:
    Text bubble 1: 大丈夫 (daijobu)
    Text bubble 2: 二人で刀を合わせればきつと... (futari de katana wo awasereba kitsuto...)
    Text bubble 3: 切り開けるからエロデイアの未来は (kirihirakeru kara Elodeia no mirai ha)

I'd probably translate it as, "It's okay. If the two of us combine our strength, we can carve out the future of Elodia."
    Jude P.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    So, wow, Reiner was a mess before they broke down Wall Maria. All of a child's efforts, tears and blood shed and all he has to show for it are a bunch of dead people and an entire island nation hating his guts.

I'm still trying to get a handle on how the Marely government thought sending four children would actually succeed. They did almost capture Eren twice, I'll grant, but I think they were just looking for an excuse to get back home. And why were they told that the King wouldn't unleash the Titans in the Walls? To keep them from backing out, or did they have some insight into how the King would think after all this time?
    Don't know your name but bring the pain.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lurkmoar View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    So, wow, Reiner was a mess before they broke down Wall Maria. All of a child's efforts, tears and blood shed and all he has to show for it are a bunch of dead people and an entire island nation hating his guts.

I'm still trying to get a handle on how the Marely government thought sending four children would actually succeed. They did almost capture Eren twice, I'll grant, but I think they were just looking for an excuse to get back home. And why were they told that the King wouldn't unleash the Titans in the Walls? To keep them from backing out, or did they have some insight into how the King would think after all this time?
    Spoiler
    Show

Presumably because the King doesn't want people to know the secret of the titans, since otherwise they'd revolt?

As for their belief that the kids could do it...I mean you said it yourself. They basically almost DID. They coulda done this for like, LEGIT.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Presumably because the King doesn't want people to know the secret of the titans, since otherwise they'd revolt?

As for their belief that the kids could do it...I mean you said it yourself. They basically almost DID. They coulda done this for like, LEGIT.
    Jup, well trained child soldiers can do pretty well... especially if they can rely on titan strength in a pinch.
    I mean, I would have totally send adults because... they are STILL better but whatever. Target audience, I guess?

It's a bit curious how much screen time Reiner gets but... well, I guess we need a person we already know for this bit.

Also: The coincidences in this series are amazing at times.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

9. - Top - End - #189

Also: The coincidences in this series are amazing at times.
    My favorite one was in the first chapter, when Armin was saying that just because the Titans haven't gotten inside the walls yet, doesn't mean they never will...

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ettin in the Playground

One reason why you may want to use Child Soldiers is specifically they are bad at critical thinking. You give them a goal, and you force them to obtain the goal via the triumph of will.

Of course this in turn means the child soliders get there but kicked if the enemy knows how to make the battlefield into a tactical form of a trap. For example reduce the titan's mobility, have stuff like the thunder spears, cannon barrels, etc and suddenly your child solider actually is making things worse due to the fact they expect only to solve problems with raw power of the titan or will power.

This is why Annie is still the scariest of the titan shifters. She may not have certain styles of raw power, but her adaptability and her intelligence means she is the true threat of the warrior titan shifters.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

New chapter.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Still following the three shifters as they attack and infiltrate. They sure spend a LOT of time making up excuses for killing people who have done nothing to anyone.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

12. - Top - End - #192

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    New chapter.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Still following the three shifters as they attack and infiltrate. They sure spend a LOT of time making up excuses for killing people who have done nothing to anyone.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Because if they admit that, it would make the Warrior Trio the bad guys...

Dina wasn't kidding about finding Grisha. Wonder if her having royal blood meant she had some innate link to the coordinate.

I hope that the action shifts back to the Survey Corp soon.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Totally agree. I actually rather like most of the people in the Survey Corp. They are at least trying to do the right thing.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

The longer this goes on the more I hate the DinaTitan with all it implies...

I kind of like the focus on the Shifters with all it implies, it just really drags if you devote 80 pages of a monthly manga to something you can tell in 20.
    Anyone has an idea how Long the manga is planned to last?
    "What's done is done."

15. - Top - End - #195
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Well, new chapter. Still following the shifters , but there is something else going on back in Marley.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Barbarian in the Playground

Well, well... I really like what this implies for the future of this arc.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm eager to see how well post-timeskip Smart!Eren is going to deal with such a delicate job. Go main character! Don't be kidnapped or otherwise turned into a liability!

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ettin in the Playground

Wow a lot of stuff happened in this month's manga. I need to reread it for I did not notice several key events until the last few pages where a "hidden" thing I suddenly realized is a very important thing, almost a hidden macguffin.

Spoiler: Chapter 097
    Show
    It is Eren who is the person who is pretending to have injuries and PTSD induced amnesia for he has infiltrated Marley. And for some reason he is mailing a letter to his half brother.

Most likely everything is now in reverse situations. Just like the 4 Warriors were trying to capture the Founding Titan and the King Behind the Walls it is now Eren and possibly the Survey corps infiltrating Marley and doing ______WHAT_______?

Most likely something involving the Tybur family those Eladians who are honorary marleyian aristocrats and the Warhammer Titan.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

Okay... can somebody explain to me why people are buying into this?

Spoiler
    Show

Okay, we get some more decent flashbacks and then it is finally over and has a decent pay off with Reiner. Then some backstory about the politics in marley and... well, guess what, another country run by a shadow government? That's what they're hinting at, right? One might think someone likes conspiracy theories

But finally... what's with the crazy internet theories about "Eren"? I mean, I',m not saying it's impossible that it's him or it doesn't make sense. But we have zero proof yet people seem to take it as fact? And even guesses about the letter seem to be accepted as "yeah, that must be it"?
    "What's done is done."

19. - Top - End - #199
    Colossus in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Okay, we get some more decent flashbacks and then it is finally over and has a decent pay off with Reiner. Then some backstory about the politics in marley and... well, guess what, another country run by a shadow government? That's what they're hinting at, right? One might think someone likes conspiracy theories

But finally... what's with the crazy internet theories about "Eren"? I mean, I',m not saying it's impossible that it's him or it doesn't make sense. But we have zero proof yet people seem to take it as fact? And even guesses about the letter seem to be accepted as "yeah, that must be it"?
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think people are assuming the legless dude is Eren. It's just a theory.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think people are assuming the legless dude is Eren. It's just a theory.
    Yes, I get that. I wonder on what basis except... both have black hair? And are male?
    "What's done is done."

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler: From Chapters 93 to 97
    Show

So spoilers but the person who I think is Eren is first seen in Chapter 93 page 36, page 35 is the page where Reiner has a PTSD / Deja Vu flashbaack where he sees himself and the 3 other warrior titan potentials as kids and then he sees them again with the next generation of warrior titan potentials and he has a look of horror on his face.

Reiner then in 36 flashbacks to reality and we see Armband guy following Reiner and the 4 titan potentials in their walk around town.

Armband guy is not shown whether he has any combat injuries like a missing leg but it is obvious he is not using crutches.

Then in the next chapter 94 which I will not link to the images for there are several we see armband guy again in pages 12 to 14. Falco the Warrior Potential the armband guy will later talk to in chapter 97 mentions to armband guy that his armband is on the wrong arm.

Then in the most recent chapter 97 we see armband guy for 8 or so pages, 6 of them in the middle of the chapter and 2 of them at the very end.

Oh another piece of evidence of Armband guy is most likely being Eren Yeager is that he told Falco (the warrior potential) his name is Mr. Kruger as in the same last name as Eren Krueger also known as Owl the former Advancement / Attack Titan who infiltrated Malyean and later gave Eren Yeager's father the attack titan ability and Eren's dad then later acquired the founder titan before passing both titan powers onto Eren Yeager.

So to borrow something from the Incredibles

And I just realized I can make another Incredibles reference =D

Helen: E, it's great to see you, but I gotta tell you, I've got no idea what you're talking about.
    Edna: Yes, words are useless! Gobble-gobble-gobble-gobble-gobble! Too much of it, darling, too much! That is why I show you my work! That is why you are here!

22. - Top - End - #202
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

New Chapter
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yep, it is Eris playing spy. Seems like there is a set up for a lot of things going on at the same time and I wonder how badly things are going to go when the pile up happens.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ettin in the Playground

Anyone else thinking that Reiner's feeling more of a protagonist than Eren ever did?
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

24. - Top - End - #204
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Spoiler
    Show
    Let's see how Eren has changed. Think a moment about what Eren did here. He allowed someone to chop off his leg so he could infiltrate the enemy and deliberatly summoned Reiner to TALK to him. That is a very far cry from what old Eren would have done.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ettin in the Playground

Lots of stuff is happening in this chapter and I feel we are about to transition to the action parts of the manga once again.

(talking out loud on how to write a story).

One thing about time skips and also the similar trope of splitting the party is that so much slowness occurs for you are doing infodumps in a way that is more exciting than narration but at the expense you waste precious panel time, comic strips, movie time, book time etc with Show not Tell, and sometimes you have the opposite extreme where you spend so much time showing how the world has change (Time Skip), or showing how the world is changing (Split the Party so you get more point of views with different locations) that the action and thus the agency of the readers and the point of view characters just stops.

Hopefully the info dump has stopped for I have a feeling the story is about to move again, but we got a lot of info dump in the most recent manga chapter, and considering I said the same thing last time, maybe I am just wrong, or maybe this is a sign the story is about to move again.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ettin in the Playground

New Chapter, Attack on Titan Chapter 99 A Shadow of Guilt.

And what is for lunch? More myth making!

Spoiler: Chapter 99, Nov 2017
    Show

So in the tale / myth the Warhammer Titan Shifter Willy Tybur is telling. Where do the 4 kids they sent 9 years ago for a fight that was 5 years long takes place in the story? Is he going to say that the Yeager family is trying to destroy the world so they sent 4 out of the 6 titans to break down the walls 9 years ago?

For a reminder.

Year 845- The attack on Wall Rose, the night after the attack the Yeager family acquires the power of the founding Titan by stealing it with the Attack Titan
    Year 850- The Battle of Trost and Eren discovers his power of titan shifting
    Year 850- One month later the Female Titan Saga, the Female Titan Saga lasts 10 days
    Year 850- Twelve Days after the Female Titan Saga Historia Reiss is now queen of the walls
    Year 850- Two months after that the battle of Shiganshina District and to retake Wall Ross is performed (so roughly 4 months after the Battle of Tross)
    Year 854- aka 9 years after the attack on Wall Rose, and 4 years after the battle of Shiganshina District is the current saga and Tybur is planning an attack on Paradise Island, the Land of the Walls to be finished and completed in less than 1 year.

Last edited by Ramza00; 2017-11-10 at 03:07 PM.

27. - Top - End - #207

Ramza00, seems to be the case.

Spoiler
    Show
    I find it deeply amusing that he singles out Eren Yeager... when he was way too flippin' young to have done it.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lurkmoar View Post
    Ramza00, seems to be the case.

Spoiler
    Show
    I find it deeply amusing that he singles out Eren Yeager... when he was way too flippin' young to have done it.
    So Lurkmoar what is your opinion of an event that happened in Chapter 99

Spoiler: Chapter 99
    Show

Maybe I been reading too much Hajime Isayama and I just notice things are off for I am hypersensitive to things that may be telegraphing.

But Pieck / Cart Titan seemed to remember her Guard (which is probably a Survey Corps member) and soon after she jumped at Panzer Squad. I am guessing this is her squad mates that man the guns when she is in titan form and they seem to be familiar with her. Did she whisper in the guy's ear telling him something is off and alert the authorities or have his squad mates follow her or something?

Aka I am trying to see if I can plan out the attack / counter / pivot attack / counter again that Isayama always seem to do.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ettin in the Playground

It seems likelier Mr. Warhammer has come to know what Grisha tried to do, and knows the powerd Grisha stole from the Royal family have been passed to Eren.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

30. - Top - End - #210

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    So Lurkmoar what is your opinion of an event that happened in Chapter 99

Spoiler: Chapter 99
    Show

Maybe I been reading too much Hajime Isayama and I just notice things are off for I am hypersensitive to things that may be telegraphing.

But Pieck / Cart Titan seemed to remember her Guard (which is probably a Survey Corps member) and soon after she jumped at Panzer Squad. I am guessing this is her squad mates that man the guns when she is in titan form and they seem to be familiar with her. Did she whisper in the guy's ear telling him something is off and alert the authorities or have his squad mates follow her or something?

Aka I am trying to see if I can plan out the attack / counter / pivot attack / counter again that Isayama always seem to do.

Spoiler
    Show
    Seems like a safe bet to me. I'm gonna reread the previous few chapters and see if there are any familiar figures in the background.