New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default [Spell] And that's how the owlbear was born...

You know, I've always wondered how the Owlbear was formed. Its fluff in the MM tells us that it might have been a wizard who did it, but they don't really tell you how the wizard went about doing that. Well, curiosity compelled me to create...

Chimerism
    Transmutation
    Level: Sor/Wiz 8
    Components: V, M, F, XP
    Casting Time: 1 hour
    Target: Specially prepared egg
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Saving Throw: None
    Spell Resistance: No

With experimentation and research of two or three existing, non-magical creatures, you are able to create from that a magical beast. Once cast on a specially prepared egg, it will hatch in a number of weeks equal to the creatures hit dice. Only a single egg can be enchanted by this spell, and you cannot enchant more eggs than your caster level.

The magical beast that is created by this spell is an amalgamation of the creatures that are researched. Using the parts of the two creatures, you create a rough skeleton of the new creature and place it in the egg.

Research requires a Chimerism Tome, a special book that contains all the instructions and procedures to creating the creature; if one is not available, one must be created. A single tome is only good for one Chimerism creature.

Creating the Chimerism Tome

A Chimerism Tome is a magical document chat contains special instructions and procedures for creating a magical-beast known as a Chimerism. One tome covers a single creation (i.e., Chimerism Tome of Owlbear). The tome requires innovative research of two or three existing creatures, which must be alive and healthy at the time of research. The lab for research must be specially prepared and costs at least 10,000 gp.

It takes 2d4 days per creature of constant research while they are alive, and an additional week of research per creature after they are dead and preserved. At the end of the research, the caster makes a caster level check versus DC 25; if the caster succeeds by 10 or more on this check, she receives a +2 bonus to crafting the sample.

If the roll is a failure, the research fails and he must restart with new, live samples. The research will fail if the caster is interrupted for any great length of time; she may take no other actions other than research, sleep, or eat during this period.

After the research is complete, he must competently create and document a sample crossbreed. The crossbreed must be made with similar sized objects of the specimen. Generally, fetuses are used, however if there are size disparities, enlarging or reducing the specimen must be cast with an appropriate Permanency spell to even out of the size difference. Any spells must be documented accordingly. This requires a Heal check (DC 13), Profession (Taxidermy) (DC 15), or a Craft (Sculpture) (DC 16) check; if this check fails, the caster must re-attempt it using his existing research. A double failure means new samples must be used.

This sample may be used in casting this spell, or a new one may be prepared by using the above rolls.

Requirements: Caster level 15+, Create Wondrous Item, 20,000 gp, 8,000 xp.

Creating the Egg

The egg contains a proper specimen as is intended to be created by this spell. The specimen used in this step is an foetus combination created as per the instructions in the appropriate Chimerism Tome. Once created, an egg is made; the egg can be made using a large enough egg (such as an ostrich egg) that has been Mended once the creature has been put in it, out of leather, clay, or other appropriate material.

The egg is mundane, and requires no spell or check to create, save a Caster Level check (DC 15) to ensure it takes. Once created, the caster has one day to cast Chimerism or the specimen is destroyed.

Material component: This spell requires a pint of any humor from creatures used to create this spell mixed with crushed pearls costing at least 100 gp, and is boiled to vapor that fill the egg.

XP cost: 200 XP for each hit die the intended creature has.

----

I still need to create sensible rules for creating a Chimerism. This spell allows the process to begin, but does not provide enough context to create the spell. Those will be coming soon.
    Last edited by Neek; 2007-07-02 at 08:01 PM.
    — Nicolaos of Aepternacos

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: [Spell] And that's how the owlbear was born...

Interesting, and with enough of an XP and time cost to deter most players, and it lets you dream up all sorts of crazy monsters, then point out the mechanical reason they exist. Note, however, that as a dragon is a magical creature, you could not create a Chimera with Chimerism. Not actually a problem, but a bit weird.
    Ralien, my elf soulknife, by Magioth.

3. - Top - End - #3

You couldn't create a Chimera in the D&D sense, but you could create a three-headed beast, with a head of a snake that breathes fire. You could also create a three-headed dog. Or artificially manufacture griffons, hippogriffs, axex, &c., once the rules are in place, though...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quite a good idea. It might be interesting to have a more powerful version of the spell which allows some degree of fiddling with magical creatures too....
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

All right. You've attracted my interest. How can you get a non-magical fire-breathing monster to cross into the D&D chimera? I have never seen an (ex) breath weapon, let alone one that deals fire damage.

6. - Top - End - #6

I doubt this'll stay your curiosity, but once I write up the rules for chimerism creation, you'll see how.

7. - Top - End - #7

Thumbs up Re: [Spell] And that's how the owlbear was born...

Creating a chimerism

A chimerism a template that can be applied to the amalgamation of two or three non-magical animals, vermin, or humanoids (hereafter referred to as the specimens); a chimerism can be the combination of two or three non-magical animals or vermin, or a humanoid with another humanoid, or a humanoid plus one or two non-magical animals or vermin.

A chimerism can be described as the following: It has the head(s) of an X (Y, and Z); the forequarters of a X and the hindquarters of an X (or the body of X); the tail of an X, and the wings of a X.

(X is any of the specimens included); not all must be included.

The size of the chimerism is determined by the average of the the two greatest extremes of the specimens; that is, a small and a large specimen will result in a medium-sized specimen. It is possible to increase or decrease the size of a specimen to balance out the sizes for abilities, however one must apply Enlarge or Reduce and Permanency to the Chimerism Tome, and any material components must be present and are consumed in the creation of the chimerism; any XP required is also consumed. These costs are in addition to the costs of the Chimerism spell. If the specimens are one-step, it is up to the author of the Tome to determine the base size. A caster may attempt to increase the base size of the chimerism outside of the determined base size, however requires an additional +2 to the craft check per size category. A chimerism can only be increased by two size categories from the determined size, including any size increases by hit die alone (see below).

The base type of the specimens changes to Magical Beast with the Chimerism subtype. Any attempt to replicate an existing magical beast will result in a "False" creation (i.e., a chimerism of a lion and an eagle may result in a False Griffon).

Hit dice: Hit dice is the calculate average of all the specimens used, but increased to d10. Increasing the hit dice further increases the crafting check to creating the chimerism by +1 per two hit dice. Increasing it by 4 hit dice results in one size category larger than the intended size category. The chimerism can have no more than 8 hit dice greater than the average hit dice of the specimens.

Speed: The chimerism retains the forms of natural movement of the specimens provided that the means of movement are retained. i.e., "it has the body of a dog" will provide the base speed of a dog. "it has the wings of an eagle" will retain the base speed of an eagle (provided that the winged specimen is enlarged to the same size as the remainder of the specimens, or vice versa; if the specimen that confers the wings is smaller than the chimerism's determine size, the creature retains wings but cannot fly); if it has the hindquarters of one creature, and the forequarters of another, it retains the best speed of the two.

AC: The chimerism retains the highest natural armor of all the specimens; if two specimens have the same natural armor, it is increased by +1.

Damage: The chimerism retains any bite damage of the specimen that composites its head; any claw damage of the specimen of that composites its forequarters or body.

Special attacks: The chimerism retains special attacks dependent on the part of the body; if the chimerism has a tail of a monstrous scorpion, it retains the poisonous sting of a monstrous scorpion. If it has the hindquarters of a lion, it may pounce and rake as a lion.

It is possible to add additional special attacks to the chimerism by creating a triggered magical item and adding that to the creation of the chimerism (it must be present in the Chimerism Tome; adding special attacks without it being present in the tome causes the Chimerism spell to fail); the base cost and XP are included in addition to the casting of the spell. A creature is limited in number of slots of magical items that can be "included" in its creation: Each head can contain one magical item, the body can include two, and the legs can as well. If it has arms, each arm can be equipped.

Special qualities: The creature retains the special qualities of the specimen provided that comprises its head (if it has multiple heads, it retains all of the special qualities); the head of a giant scorpion confers the vermin special ability, the head of a wolf confers the scent ability.

Saves: As a magical beast (good Fortitude and Reflex saves, poor Will saves).

Abilities: Physical abilities are based on what comprises the body; if it has two parts (i.e., the hindquarters of a lion, the forequarters of an eagle) it takes the higher Dexterity, but the average of the Strength and Constitution scores. It uses the mental abilities of whatever specimen constitutes the head; if there are multiple heads, it uses the best of the abilities except intelligence, which based on the least intelligent head.

Skills: Any skill bonuses conferred by a specimen are conferred to the chimerism depending on the ability used: Str, Dex, or Con are dependent on what composites the Forequarters, hindquarters/body, while Int, Wis or Cha-based skills are dependent on what composites the head(s). If multiple skill bonuses are applied, the chimerism only retains the highest.

Feats: As base specimens; if the feat cannot be used because it is dependent on a part of the body not present on the chimerism, the feat is lost.

Climate/Terrain: Chimerisms are unnatural creatures; chimerisms tend to stay close to where they are located, but may be routed. They possess no native environment.

Organization: Solitary, laboratory 2-7 (1d6+1), menagerie 11-20 (1d10+10).

Challenge rating: +1 to the highest CR of the creature (if the specimens have factional CRs, then it is invariable 1). +1 for each additional head. +1/4 HD increase. +1 for every two magical items placed in the creature.

Alignment: Always neutral.

Advancement: None; creatures with a head of a humanoid can advance as per character class; multiple humanoid heads, multiple character classes.

A note on personality

Chimerisms are generally aggressive creations. If unintelligent, they always rush into attack and make no tactics. However, their disposition is generally random:

{table]%|Descriptor
    1-10|Peaceful
    11-30|Combative
    31-95|Aggressive
    96-99|Docile
    00|Domesticated
    [/table]

Peaceful. The creature does not attack unless it is provoked. It, however, flees any attempt to contact or deal with the creatures around it. Peaceful creatures cannot be trained, but can be communicated with Speak With Animal. Combative creatures cannot be trained by anyone but the caster, however suffers a +3 DC to training the creature for any purpose. The caster is considered to have Wild Empathy towards the creature.

Combative. The creature is aggressive if it sees signs of aggression against it. However, normally remains docile. It is generally curious and tends to learn about its surroundings and the creatures around it. Combative creatures cannot be trained by anyone but the caster, however suffers a +5 DC to training the creature for any purpose. The caster is considered to have Wild Empathy towards the creature. It is possible for someone who is not the caster to communicate with a Wild Empathy check + Speak with Animal.

Aggressive. The creature will attack on the spot. There is no way to dissuade the creature, it is unresponsive to Speak With Animal, and it is Wish Spell to get one trainable. The caster cannot control the creation without a Dominate Monster spell; even under a Dominate Monster, it can resist with a +10 to its Will save. Command is also effective, however the command must be within the creatures comprehension (i.e., "Attack them, not me!" but not, "Guard.")

Docile. Docile creatures are friendly and curious, and non-aggressive, but difficult to train. They can be trained for multiple purposes, albeit the Handle Animal check has a +5 to its DC. They may be used as a mounts, but require specially crafted saddles, and tend to react terribly in combat. The creature is, for all intents and purposes, naive and unable to determine friend from foe. If provoked, docile creatures will attack whomever's in range.

Domesticated. Domesticated creatures are friendly, curious, but able to be trained and molded for a multiple number of purposes at no increase to the DC. They require specially crafted saddles if used as a mount. They can differentiate between friend and foe in combat.

It is possible to alter the disposition while the egg is being created. If the caster casts "Charm Monster" on the egg for each of the incubation, it will hatch as a domesticated animal. If it is interrupted and he misses a single day, the creature will be docile. If he misses more than half, then there's a 50/50 chance the creature will be peaceful or combative.

A note on Biology

A chimerism is an asexual creature that cannot normally reproduce. They are thusly only survivable through the caster creating more. However, there exists a 10% chance that a chimerism may be able to reproduce. If it can, it generally lays a batch (1d4 eggs), that take a number of months to hatch equal to the chimerism's hit die. These creatures tend to have the same disposition as its parents, however there's a 1/100 chance that an egg-born chimerism can have another chance on the disposition table.

Generally, however, these creatures are voracious, and if left unchecked, can decimate entire ecosystems.

It takes 1 year per hit die for the creature to mature to full adulthood, and they normally live 50+hit die d10 years in the wild and then die of old age (though this is rarely the case).

----

Whew, here's a quick write up. I'm not sure if I forgot anything. I'm not sure if the CR is correctly tabulated.
    Last edited by Neek; 2007-07-02 at 08:15 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Callix View Post
    All right. You've attracted my interest. How can you get a non-magical fire-breathing monster to cross into the D&D chimera? I have never seen an (ex) breath weapon, let alone one that deals fire damage.
    Surprizingly, there exist EX fire breath weapons in the SRD, if only in variants. You just need to have a major bloodline from a dragon that breathes fire. However, you basically gain a +3 LA to gain all the bloodline powers for a major bloodline by taking levels in a class that don't improve HD, BAB, skills or saves.
    Quote Originally Posted by starwoof View Post
    Your manly chin makes Jay Leno weep.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Kyace: you learn something new every day. Thank you.

Neek: All right. That's a cool mechanism, chucking in a Use-activated item with the right number of uses. You'd need to allow custom wondrous items, but a Fireball at will slotless item is *expensive*! Anyway, you win the argument. The MM chimera works.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

I like it. I've only skimmed so far, but it looks really well thought out. I like having an explanation for the crazy NPC with his winged housecats and stuff.

Do you think it should be possible to use additional magic to tinker with the chimera's personality as it's being made? It makes sense to me that if you're extremely powerful and know what you're doing you should be able to influence your creation's personality a bit.

Also, what would their lifespan be? It may be a function of the base creature, but using magic to create life may also have an effect.
    hmmm... wonder if I'll ever get a siggy

11. - Top - End - #11

As much as I do like this spell, you're missing a very important piece: a template that can be applied to these two creatures to create the final product.

I've always wanted to see one, and I've never been able to quite figure it out myself, so I'm interested in what you can come up with.

Also, the XP cost is far too high; it costs 3,000 XP to make a 3 HD creature, at Level 15+ such a creature would be nearly irrelevant.
    Last edited by ArmorArmadillo; 2007-07-02 at 07:28 PM.
    Gnoll Paladin with Zanbatou Avatar by Oregano.

Homebrews:

Quote Originally Posted by ExHunterEmerald
    Incidentally, Armadillo, I'd suggest you were hit by a spark of inspiration, but that would knock your armor off.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Joltz View Post
    I like it. I've only skimmed so far, but it looks really well thought out. I like having an explanation for the crazy NPC with his winged housecats and stuff.

Do you think it should be possible to use additional magic to tinker with the chimera's personality as it's being made? It makes sense to me that if you're extremely powerful and know what you're doing you should be able to influence your creation's personality a bit.
    I was pondering this problem; fact is, a controllable owlbear would not be something nice to have. I'll consider disposition effects with spells, and how they'll be implemented. It'd be nice if you didn't have a 1/100 chance to create a usable species; that's not a feature, that's just plain unfair.

Also, what would their lifespan be? It may be a function of the base creature, but using magic to create life may also have an effect.
    I was worried about this, which is why I didn't address it. :P I believe it would be best to presume less than the base creature. The fact that it's magical is one thing, but the fact that it's a magical amalgamation of other creatures is yet another.

I'll think of it, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Callix View Post
    Kyace: you learn something new every day. Thank you.

Neek: All right. That's a cool mechanism, chucking in a Use-activated item with the right number of uses. You'd need to allow custom wondrous items, but a Fireball at will slotless item is *expensive*! Anyway, you win the argument. The MM chimera works.
    Hehe, I needed to figure out a way to make the MM chimera possible. However, I think I'll limit the type of magical items and slots available for them in a bit. With the current ruleset, it's possible to make a creature with more magical items than you'd ever let a character have. The magical items also don't affect the CR... which I have to tweak.

[edit]

Quote Originally Posted by ArmorArmadillo View Post
    As much as I do like this spell, you're missing a very important piece: a template that can be applied to these two creatures to create the final product.

I've always wanted to see one, and I've never been able to quite figure it out myself, so I'm interested in what you can come up with.
    While it is made apparent in the fluff of the "Creating a Chimerism" (it is a very open-ended template), it should be stated quite prominently that the spell is required and these are the creations.
    Last edited by Neek; 2007-07-02 at 07:32 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

This is fantastic. If you don't mind, I may use this in my next campaign.
    "We have become like unto tiny refreshing GODS!"
    --Popcorn
    Quoteses, preciousssss...
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Viscount Einstrauss View Post
    Player: Heh, that was easy.
    DM: You take 12 lethal damage.
    Player: Huh? From what?
    DM: Raw spite.
    Quote Originally Posted by NecroPaladin View Post
    'FEAR MY CUBESHOES! RAAAAAR!'

Proud owner of one Gold Star, as awarded by Count Chumleigh.
    Member of the Metric System Fan Club.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by DaMullet View Post
    This is fantastic. If you don't mind, I may use this in my next campaign.
    Not a problem. :) Just make sure we get some of the kinks out before hand, it probably still needs some tweaking to get right.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmorArmadillo View Post
    Also, the XP cost is far too high; it costs 3,000 XP to make a 3 HD creature, at Level 15+ such a creature would be nearly irrelevant.
    I took your statement and went with it. It's not 200 xp/hit dice, it's possible to bring the hit dice up to 8 past the base. We'll see if the created creatures, at its limits, are high enough on the CR to make it work, if not, we'll have to retool it.

15. - Top - End - #15

A sample chimerism. Take the phrase, "The head, forequarters, and wings of a falcon, and the hindquarters of a cat." This is a fairly basic creature.

Axex
    Small Magical Beast (Chimerism)
    HD 1d10 (5 HP)
    Speed 30 ft. (6 squares); flight 80 ft. (average)
    Initiative: +2
    Armor class 14 (+1 size, +1 natural, +2 dexterity); touch 13; flat-footed 12
    Base attack bonus/Grapple +0/-7
    Attack Talons +2 melee (1d4-1)
    Full-Attack Talons +2 melee (1d4-1) and bite -3 melee (1d4-1)
    Space/Reach 5 ft./5ft.;
    Special Attacks: -
    Special Qualities: Low-light vision
    Saves Fort +2 Ref +4 Will +2
    Abilities Str 8, Dex 15, Con 11, Int 2, Wis 14, Cha 6
    Skills: Balance +10, Climb +6, Hide +16*, Jump +10, Listen +4, Move Silently +8, Spot +16
    Feats Alertness, Stealthy, Weapon Finesse (talons)
    Environment: Temperate climates
    Organization Solitary, laboratory 2-7 (1d6+1), menagerie 11-20 (1d10+10).
    Challenge Rating 1
    Alignment Always neutral

I ran into a few problems: The averaging of physical stats doesn't seem right, but I'm iffy on it. My next example may prove some differences and may attempt to make or break the system as it is...

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

A mount that I plan to use pretty soon using your chimera stuff.

Horsebat
    Size/Type: Large Magical Beast (Chimerism)
    Hit Dice: 3d10+3 (20 hp)
    Initiative: +6
    Speed: 60 ft. (12 squares), fly 40 ft. (good)
    Armor Class: 20 (-1 size, +6 Dex, +5 natural), touch 15, flat-footed 14
    Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+8
    Attack: Hoof -1 melee (1d4+3)
    Full Attack: 2 hooves -1 melee (1d4+3)
    Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: —
    Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent, Blindsense 40 ft.
    Saves: Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +2
    Abilities: Str 16, Dex 22, Con 16, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 6
    Skills: Listen +12, Spot +8, Hide +8, Move Silently +6
    Feats: Endurance, Run, Alertness, Stealthy
    Organization: Domesticated
    Challenge Rating: 3

Horsebats were the tireless result of one lonely wizard’s desire to grant the knights and paladins in his country relatively cheap flying mounts. After many ferocious beasts were created, some were finally born that could be taught to carry travelers without too much trouble. A Horsebat has the wings of a bat and the bat’s enlarged body as the forequarters of the body. The head looks like a horse’s head with enlarged bat ears.

Unlike many other Chimeras, long and arduous hours of work have gone into creating fertile horsebats that are easily domesticated and bred.

For unexplainable reasons, horsebats will bond to the first human they spend a significant amount of time with, making even infants relatively useless to those other than their hatchers. Horsebat eggs (yes, they lay large somewhat leathery eggs) cost 1,500 gp on the open market. They grow to maturity in roughly two months. Young cost about one thousand gold pieces and are more or less useless except for breeding.

Blindsense (Ex)
    A Horsebat uses echolocation to pinpoint creatures within 40 feet. Opponents still have total concealment against the horsebat unless it can actually see them.

Skills
    Horsebats have a +4 racial bonus on Spot and Listen checks. These bonuses are lost if its blindsense is negated.
    Last edited by Vadin; 2007-07-02 at 09:24 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17

Excellent.

I went ahead and ran the creatures through the formula in the Homebrew, they're closer to a CR higher, but they're fractional. So it's almost spot on. Any other takers on wanting to try to create some fun chimerisms?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Sure, I’ll go ahead and make the winged cats I mentioned.

A chimerism of a house cat and a hawk.

Tiny Magical Beast (chimerism)
    Hit dice: 1d10 (5hp)
    Initiative: +2
    Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares), fly 60 ft. (average)
    Armor Class: 16 (+2 size, +2 dex, +2 natural armor)
    Base Attack/Grapple: +1/-11
    Attack: Claw +5 melee (1d2-4)
    Full Attack: 2 claws +5 melee (1d2-4) and bite +0 melee (1d3-4)
    Space/Reach: 2 1/2 ft./ 0 ft.
    Special Attacks: -
    Special Qualities: Low-Light Vision, Scent
    Saves: Fort +2, Ref +4, Will +1
    Abilities: Str 3, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 7
    Skills: I’m tired of typing, same as MM cat
    Feats: Weapon Finesse
    Climate/Terrain: This one particular wizard’s home
    Organization: Solitary
    CR: 1
    Alignment: Neutral

As you enter town you pass a large house. In the front you can see a brown tabby cat crouched below a tree, something about it catches your eye as being "wrong" but you can't but your finger on it. You pause to watch it for a moment and the cat springs upward and flaps its wings to pounce on a bird above it. Ah. The wings. That's different.
    Last edited by Joltz; 2007-07-03 at 01:08 PM.
    hmmm... wonder if I'll ever get a siggy

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

One for all the wizards out there who want pets that are a bit more...exotic than usual.

Elephape

Size/Type: Huge Magical Beast
    Hit Dice: 8d10+5 (53 hp)
    Initiative: +0
    Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares), Climb 15 ft.
    Armor Class: 15 (-2 size, +7 natural, +0 Dex), touch 8, flat-footed 15
    Base Attack/Grapple: +8/+18
    Attack: Claw +18 melee (1d6+10)
    Full Attack: 2 claws +10 melee (1d6+10) and bite +5 melee (1d8+10), Slam +0 melee (2d6+5) and 2 stamps -5 melee (2d6+10)
    Space/Reach: 15 ft./10 ft.
    Special Attacks: Trample 2d8+10, Rend 2d6+10
    Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent
    Saves: Fort +11, Ref +6, Will +5
    Abilities: Str 30, Dex 10, Con 21, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 7
    Skills: Listen +16, Spot +12, Climb +18
    Feats: Alertness, Endurance, Iron Will, Skill Focus (Listen), Toughness
    Organization: Solitary, Company (5-8), or Herd (6-30)
    Challenge Rating: 8

A dire ape’s body, arms, and head mounted where the elephant's head should be, these beasts make powerful guards for wizards paranoid of outsiders and help they didn’t have hand in creating.

Combat

Trample (Ex)
    Reflex half DC 25. The save DC is Strength-based.

Rend (Ex)
    An elephape that hits with both claw attacks latches onto the opponent’s body and tears the flesh. This attack automatically deals an extra 2d6+10 points of damage.

Skills
    Elephapes have a +8 racial bonus on Climb checks and can always choose to take 10 on Climb checks, even if rushed or threatened.

20. - Top - End - #20

Excellent!

I'm going to have to stat out the halfling's answer to a minotaur soon. And a two-headed human. Just for fun.

21. - Top - End - #21

And now, the halfling's answer to the centaur: The Thetaur. I'm thinking any intelligent chimerism, or those involving a humanoid component, should be monstrous humanoid, not Magical Beast.

Thetaur
    Small Magical Beast (Chimerism)
    Hit die 1d10+1 (5)
    Speed 30 ft. (6 squares)
    Initiative: +1
    Armor class/touch/flat-footed 15 (+1 Size, +1 Dex, +3 hide)/12/14
    BAB/Grapple +1/-4
    Attack Melee +2 (Club, 1d4-1), ranged +3 (Sling, 1d3)
    Full-Attack Melee +2 (Club, 1d4-1)
    Space/Reach 5 ft./5ft.
    Special Attacks -
    Special Qualities Thetaur traits
    Saves Fort +4 Ref +4 Will +1
    Abilities Str 8, Dex 13, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 8
    Skills Hide +2, Listen +4, Move Silently +3
    Feats Alertness
    Environment Forest
    Challenge Rating 1
    Alignment Always neutral
    Advancement by class; Ranger
    Level Adjustment +1

Thetaur traits
    -2 Stength, +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, -2 Charisma
    1 racial hit die
    2 + Int modifier * 4 skill points
    Alertness as bonus feat.
    +1 racial bonus on all saving throws.
    +2 morale bonus on saving throws against fear. This bonus stacks with the halfling’s +1 bonus on saving throws in general.
    +1 racial bonus on attack rolls with thrown weapons and slings.
    +2 racial bonus on Listen checks.

Thetaurs are unusual creatures that inhabit the depths of a forest, milling and living around an abandoned tower that, legend has it, once belonged to an ancient and powerful wizard. They appear as a slender halfling, but where legs should be is the body of a goat. Their upper bodies are covered in a fine fur, and on their heads bear graceful horns.

They are aggressive and xenophobic, never allowing any other sentient being to come too close. While they tend to trade with locals, they are seen with suspicion in the same way they see others with suspicion.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

So they're top part halfing, bottom goat? Cool.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Interesting stuff. I built a Dungeon for an (A)D&D game around this concept once, inspired by the Owlbear description. Mainly, though, the denizens were 'Beast Men'.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

24. - Top - End - #24
    Halfling in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

The Halfling-Goat reminds me of fawns(?) from the Chronicles of Narnia.
    <insert witty comment here>

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Alright, I'm going to try and work out an amaglem of my own, but I have no idea what to name the thing (Aside from "Fluffy" just to be ironic). Seriously...what do you name the horrible crossbreeding of a T-Rex, a giant wasp, and a triceratops? O.o
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

26. - Top - End - #26

Question Re: [Spell] And that's how the owlbear was born...

Quote Originally Posted by Magi_Ring_O View Post
    The Halfling-Goat reminds me of fauns from the Chronicles of Narnia.
    ... that's kind of like saying "The monstrous spiders in this game remind me of spiders, from Harry Potter."
    Last edited by Inyssius Tor; 2007-07-08 at 02:38 PM.
    Diamond Mind avatar provided by Abardam.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

If you're interested in doing it with a template, my Arcane Amalgam template might be helpful.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Sounds a lot like a Saytr. Still cool though.

I'll have to stat out a Gryphon with this...
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

29. - Top - End - #29

This thread needs a bump. :D

Quote Originally Posted by The Demented One View Post
    If you're interested in doing it with a template, my Arcane Amalgam template might be helpful.
    I did look through it; though it seems we're both after separate things. The Arcane Amalgam combines any creature, including magical beasts, together, that are still living. This spell breeds an entirely new race into existence from non-magical bases. There is a template already for this, but it's less "drag and drop" than most templates, so I may have to streamline it a little bit.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Again in the theme of useful mounts, here's one for the halfling paladin on the go.

Pelorian Hound
    Size/Type:Medium Magical Beast (Chimerism)
    Hit Dice:2d10+4 (16 hp)
    Initiative:+2
    Speed:40 ft. (8 squares), fly 80 ft.(average)
    Armor Class:16 (+2 Dex, +4 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 14
    Base Attack/Grapple:+1/+3
    Attack:Bite +3 melee (1d6+3)
    Full Attack:Bite +3 melee (1d6+3)
    Space/Reach:5 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks:Cure Moderate Wounds, Cure Light Wounds
    Special Qualities:Low-light vision, scent
    Saves:Fort +5, Ref +5, Will +1
    Abilities:Str 15, Dex 15, Con 15, Int 2, Wis 14, Cha 6
    Skills:Jump +12, Listen +6, Spot +6, Swim +3, Survival +1*
    Feats:Alertness, Track
    Challenge Rating:3

These pure white dogs were blessed by Pelor ages ago with eagle wings and a portion of his prodigious power.

Cure Moderate Wounds
    A Pelorian Hound can heal 2d8+4 points of damage to one creature it touches, usable every 2d4 rounds.

Cure Light Wounds
    A Pelorian Hound can heal 1d8+4 points of damage to one creature it touches, usable every 1d4 rounds.

Skills
    Pelorian Hounds have a +8 racial bonus on Jump checks. *Pelorian Hounds have a +4 racial bonus on Survival checks when tracking by scent.
    Last edited by Vadin; 2007-07-21 at 10:15 AM.