New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Default Need Help Balancing Custom Spells

Hello, this is my first time in this part of the playground, but I figure balancing spells is more the domain of homebrewing than the general 5e forum. The two biggest issues I foresee are getting the right level of spell slot and unintentionally creating some awful combo because of an unforeseen class ability.

Basically, my character is a wizard (Artificer)/cleric (Knowledge) of the Raven Queen and is trying to strengthen her within the setting by gathering followers, giving her souls of the fallen, and glorifying her. To that goal, I have been looking at making some custom spells, and here is the first:

Omen:
    2nd-level conjuration
    Casting time: 1 action
    Range: 120 feet
    Components: V, S
    Duration: Instantaneous

An unkindness of three spectral ravens appears, attacking one or more creatures. Each attack deals 1 damage , automatically becoming a critical hit if the target has 0 HP. When a creature is killed by these ravens, the soul is scavenged and brought to the Raven Queen. This spell has no effect on unintelligent undead or constructs.

When you cast this spell as 3rd-level or higher, the spell creates an additional raven for each spell level above 2nd.

Basically, it is Magic Missile, but only really useful to kill off targets that are already downed.

I am open to other spell suggestions that have to do with the theme, and I will update the OP accordingly. I am also thinking of brewing something like a Mass Reaping spell to have this effect on a battlefield. Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by krugaan
    All it takes is once:

"Grandpa, tells us that story about the Ricalison the Great again!"

Hours later...

"... and that, kids, is how he conquered the world with dancing lights."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Need Help Balancing Custom Spells

I am uncertain on the maximum number of attacks.

My current guess is that you get a maximum of three attacks (split up or stacked as you choose) dealing 1 damage which crit on those at 0 hp.
    If that interpretation is correct it seems more like a 1st level spell in terms of power.

Although it might even be a cantrip. The situation in which you have more than 1 guy you want to kill with this is rare meaning magic missile does the job anyway and is much more useful in much more frequently important situations.

Edit; As it currently looks like an auto hit it's too good for a cantrip. I would make it 1st, but try and give it a little extra juice.
    Last edited by Final Hyena; 2016-07-14 at 11:05 AM.
    Spoiler: Homebrew Common Courtesy
    Show
    When asking for homebrew critique please respect everyone else's time by;
    • Stating which edition.
    • Telling us what you are trying to achieve.
    • Updating your OP.
    • Referencing non core content.
    • Making the formatting reader friendly.
    • Giving a direct link to your content.

Thank you.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

This isn't powerful enough to justify it using a 2nd level slot, for sure. Probably not even a 1st level one. To be honest, I'm not sure it works as a spell at all, because it doesn't actually help you overcome mechanical challenges at all, and all spells have a mechanical cost (including cantrips, which have quite a lot of opportunity cost). It's almost a fluff feature. In fact, it would make a great alternative background feature for an acolyte of the Raven Queen - an ability to reap souls when people are dying in your presence.

Perhaps you could re-work it into some kind of sub-epic boon? Or a magical item gifted by your goddess?
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Here's my suggestion:

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/HJZnv6vBw

Note: I realize that an auto hit may be a little strong, especially because I gave it 1d4 + 1 scaling. BUT this isn't equivalent to magic missile until 11th level.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by Final Hyena View Post
    I am uncertain on the maximum number of attacks.

My current guess is that you get a maximum of three attacks (split up or stacked as you choose) dealing 1 damage which crit on those at 0 hp.
    If that interpretation is correct it seems more like a 1st level spell in terms of power.

Although it might even be a cantrip. The situation in which you have more than 1 guy you want to kill with this is rare meaning magic missile does the job anyway and is much more useful in much more frequently important situations.

Edit; As it currently looks like an auto hit it's too good for a cantrip. I would make it 1st, but try and give it a little extra juice.
    I agree that is is rather weak as is. I figured that it is rather a fluff spell and figured that it was more important to establish the concept of what I was trying rather than getting specific numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    This isn't powerful enough to justify it using a 2nd level slot, for sure. Probably not even a 1st level one. To be honest, I'm not sure it works as a spell at all, because it doesn't actually help you overcome mechanical challenges at all, and all spells have a mechanical cost (including cantrips, which have quite a lot of opportunity cost). It's almost a fluff feature. In fact, it would make a great alternative background feature for an acolyte of the Raven Queen - an ability to reap souls when people are dying in your presence.

Perhaps you could re-work it into some kind of sub-epic boon? Or a magical item gifted by your goddess?
    I do like the idea of having it be a boon or something from RQ, and making it a background feature could work rather well. If my DM does not approve the spell, I might go that route.

Quote Originally Posted by DracoKnight View Post
    Here's my suggestion:

Note: I realize that an auto hit may be a little strong, especially because I gave it 1d4 + 1 scaling. BUT this isn't equivalent to magic missile until 11th level.
    I really like this. As is, my character doesn't use his cantrips much since he prefers supporting or physically beating down opponents (but he loves Mold Earth!). This seems like a great change and could well be my first suggestion to my DM. It also addresses what would have been my next question, a Mass Reaping spell to affect a battlefield.

[For those who don't like following links away from the playground, his suggestion was a cantrip that scaled like Eldritch Blast, had a range of 60 ft, dealt 1d4+1 damage per Raven, and did the consigning their souls to RQ feature.]
    All it takes is once:

Hours later...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGirl

Quote Originally Posted by DracoKnight View Post
    Here's my suggestion:

This is probably the best solution.

7. - Top - End - #7

With regard to Dracos suggestion.

Firebolt = d10 (5.5)
    if we take a 60% hit chance
    3.3 dpr

Omen = d4+1 (3.5)
    no miss chance
    ignores cover

On that alone it is very strong. Then add in that as written any bonus to damage could be applied to every raven and it's the best cantrip (excluding EB) in the game.
    Show
    • Stating which edition.
    • Updating your OP.

Thank you.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by Final Hyena View Post
    With regard to Dracos suggestion.

Firebolt = d10 (5.5)
    if we take a 60% hit chance
    3.3 dpr

Omen = d4+1 (3.5)
    no miss chance
    ignores cover

On that alone it is very strong. Then add in that as written any bonus to damage could be applied to every raven and it's the best cantrip (excluding EB) in the game.
    I understand this concern, so let's address it. First, what bonuses to damage can apply to the spell? Between not having an attack roll and not evocation (so all the damage boosters I can think of don't apply to it).
    All it takes is once:

Hours later...

9. - Top - End - #9

Potent casting (the cleric version) and given the religious nature of it I find it hard to believe clerics can't learn it.

Edit; there is also the long shot of a DM having umbra dragons giving a necrotic sorcerer.
    Last edited by Final Hyena; 2016-07-15 at 10:46 AM.
    Show
    • Stating which edition.
    • Updating your OP.

Thank you.