New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 51 of 51 FirstFirst ... 264142434445464748495051
Results 1,501 to 1,512 of 1512
  1. - Top - End - #1501
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: MitD X: If I told you, you wouldn't believe me

Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    Firstly, how strong is it? Secondly, if it absorbs skills and knowledge from its victims, why is MITD so...not stupid, per say, but naive?
    2nd edition monsters weren't given full stat blocks, so the best answer is "Strong enough to do 1d8 damage with each of two slams". But there are many "abilities" which it could have absorbed (including spells, SLA, Feats, class features, etc) which would have amplified that to pretty much any level desired.

As for it's...yeah..."naivety" is a good choice of words there, well, it's personality (alignment) is also affected by the creatures it consumes. Maybe Xylon was forcing it to eat infants for more reasons than just his own entertainment.
    Last edited by Djinnocide; 2018-07-06 at 02:02 PM.

2. - Top - End - #1502
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    You wouldn't need to, just the first page of the current iteration.
    And just did. Thanks for pointing me in the correct direction. Sticking with my Enveloper theory.
    Last edited by Djinnocide; 2018-07-06 at 02:03 PM.

3. - Top - End - #1503
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Djinnocide View Post
    And just did. Thanks for pointing me in the correct direction. Sticking with my Enveloper theory.
    It can't really explain the circus: it's a slightly misshapen black coat, from the description. It also doesn't much explain why RC was convinced that he could've escaped the circus on his own - would depend on what he had enveloped, which wouldn't be obvious from the outside.

Beyond that, like the templates, all this does is shift the question from "what is MitD' to "what creature did he eat". Sure, it gives a process to combine multiple creatures, but one would wonder who a creature only capable of doing a couple of d8s of damage manage to envelope and consume something with 40+ strength. Any creature that strong would've torn it apart long before it could be enveloped.

Anyway, page 51, so I'll get going on the new thread. Link to come shortly. Please continue to post here until then.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

4. - Top - End - #1504
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    .....Sure, it gives a process to combine multiple creatures,
    That's a pretty significant phrase to put before a "but". The fact that we can now combine multiple creatures means that if any creature in the multiverse can perform an act, so can an enveloper.

.... but one would wonder who a creature only capable of doing a couple of d8s of damage manage to envelope and consume something with 40+ strength. Any creature that strong would've torn it apart long before it could be enveloped.
    Only my job to figure out what he is, not how he got to be that way. Besides, figuring out how something got to be that way is trivial--people do it every time they write-up a backstory. Just off the top of my head: MiTD eats a lot, and doesn't care much what it is. Seeing this, the guy that ran the circus could have been using him as a waste disposal system. And then one day, shortly after the changeover to 3.5, an elephant died, and the feast was on.

With 3.5 rules in effect, our finally-temporarily-sated enveloper developed an STR of 30 and the ability to do 2d6+10 with each of his slams. (The monster description states that it can use the abilities of any creature it consumes. I'm not 100% sure that ability SCORES are abilities, but they do call them "ability" scores. Talk to your GM.) After that, it caught an high-level wizard who had been throwing peanuts at him off guard and dropped him in the surprise round, gaining access to all of his spells. And then he....

Or, if you don't buy into that, then it simply killed and ate a long series of unspecified creatures with diverse sets of abilities, each of which was not-quite as strong as the enveloper was at the time, stockpiling these abilities (it only loses abilities which "conflict with each other"--whatever that means--. Otherwise, it gets to keep them forever.) nearly doubling in power after each encounter, until it became....what it is now.

Can you shoot me a link to the circus scene? I've read the description, but haven't actually seen the picture.
    Last edited by Djinnocide; 2018-07-06 at 02:46 PM.

5. - Top - End - #1505
    Titan in the Playground

That's a pretty significant phrase to put before a "but". The fact that we can now combine multiple creatures means that if any creature in the multiverse can perform an act, so can an enveloper.
    No, it can't, because the act is literally just standing there and terrorizing the public. A rough cylinder 8' tall and 3' in circumference with up to five appendages is not it.

Can you shoot me a link to the circus scene? I've read the description, but haven't actually seen the picture.
    https://www.ookoodook.com/collection...ucts/oots03-sd

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2018-07-06 at 03:10 PM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

6. - Top - End - #1506
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Thanks for the link. Had that, but didn't recognize it as the source.

7. - Top - End - #1507
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

No, it can't, because the act is literally just standing there and terrorizing the public. A rough cylinder 8' tall and 3' in circumference with up to five appendages is not it.
    Its not like we haven't considered some sort of magical ability as an explanation for that scene before.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

8. - Top - End - #1508
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I admire your attempt to encourage frugality, but this link may be better to toss out.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

9. - Top - End - #1509
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Only my job to figure out what he is, not how he got to be that way.
    And yet, the "how" should be plausible. For instance, part of one of your scenarios has MitD gaining all the powers of (if I read it right) a dead elephant. As I understood it, the point of the Enveloper was to gain the power of its own kills.
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

10. - Top - End - #1510
    Titan in the Playground

Gang,

The new thread is open for business. It can be found here.

Change log:

• Added a note to the Enveloper & added the Essence Reaver
    • Added the possibility of MitD giving teleportation powers rather than teleporting directly to section 1c
    • Crusher reserved some space for his betting pool (but has yet to move the actual data) & b_jonas has copied over the list of MitD appearances.

Grey Wolf

11. - Top - End - #1511
    Pixie in the Playground

In the highly unlikely case this wasn't mentioned many times: Giant is usually pretty consistent when it comes to speech bubble color from what I can mostly tell.
    Therefore, MitD is not of the Undead, or Good or Evil Outsider types. I'm not sure if the blue bubble represents Elementals, neutral Outsiders, or what though.
    Sorry if I'm necroing this thread, just thought I'd throw my coins into the very full jar.

12. - Top - End - #1512
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Tuhlore View Post
    In the highly unlikely case this wasn't mentioned many times: Giant is usually pretty consistent when it comes to speech bubble color from what I can mostly tell.
    Therefore, MitD is not of the Undead, or Good or Evil Outsider types. I'm not sure if the blue bubble represents Elementals, neutral Outsiders, or what though.
    Sorry if I'm necroing this thread, just thought I'd throw my coins into the very full jar.
    Malack begs to differ. Also the current discussion can be found here, let's continue the posting there.