New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default A Game of Death (IC)

"Welcome to Sword Art Online" shoots across your NerveGear. After some colorful lightning effects you are taken to your character customization screen. You make various modifications to your original avatar which looks like your virtula twin. After you select creat the screen fades to black suddenly your in a bright town with large stone work buildings behind you a large temple area. Soon more players begin appering and before long this quite town is a bustling metropolis of nealry ten thousand. Out side the town is vast green fields as far as the eye can see. On the otherside of town a sheer drop off into the clouds below. After hours and hous of play players begain to attempt to log out. Suddenly a loud bell can be heard and you find your self in the town square with all the other players. Above the square is a large warning sign that begins to cascade across the eavning sky. Some of the signs begin to bleed as it pool it forms a large faceless hooded figure. The monster identifies him self as Kayaba he greets all the players and explains why they can't use the <<Log Out>> function. The he tells every one he has reprogrammed the NerveGear to destroy the brain once an avatar reaches zero hit points. He explains the will not be able to remove the Gear either tjat will result in death also. He has also warned the outside of his plans even with that the families of two hundred and thirteen players have ignored his warning. He tells all players that he's put a special item into every ones inventory. People begin checking what the item dose. Its a mirror and as every one looks at the item it changes their avatar into their real life appearance. Kayaba tells every one the only way to escape is to meet him on the final floor of the Ruby Palace. He Welcomes everyone to "Sword Art Online".

The town square deafenlingly silent as every one starts to process whats going on but that doesn't last long the sounds of outrage and fear begin to fill the square.
    GENERATION 19

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: A Game of Death (IC)

Yumiko

"Did you hear that?", she asks in disbelieve. She's talking to Zen, the closest stranger to her. "Even if we can't log out right now, it won't take long for people to figure out how to turn these things off." Not that there would be anyone to check in on her to help her to a hospital. Maybe, her sister if she's lucky. She knows that Yumiko has the game.

She stands a little over his own height and her build is heavier. Long blonde hair lays splits over her shoulders.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Elbeyon View Post
    "Did you hear that?", she asks in disbelieve. She's talking to Zen, the closest stranger to her. "Even if we can't log out right now, it won't take long for people to figure out how to turn these things off." Not that there would be anyone to check in on her to help her to a hospital. Maybe, her sister if she's lucky. She knows that Yumiko has the game.
    Zhao was snapped out of his thoughts by the sound of a nearby female player talking. He shook his head slowly to clear away the shock he'd felt at the idea of the game suddenly becoming much more real and dangerous. He was nervous, even scared, but... At the same time he felt a sliver of excitement. The stakes where higher, yes. But it also meant that if he fought now, protected people, it would actually mean something. It would not just be a simulated existence to quench his thirst for glory and justice, it really could mean the continued well being of innocent people.
    He was scared. He didn't want to die. But he had been scared too when he got beat up by thugs in Hong Kong, and he'd still jumped in to save their victim without hesitation. A warrior respected danger, and then laughed in it's face.
    "I will train!" He declared out loud to himself. "I will train, and become strong. I will conquer this mad tyrant, and set us free. His injustice will not be allowed!"
    Zhao did not care whatsoever what others thought of his declaration. This was his path. He felt that it was what he was meant to do under the circumstances. He hefted his glaive, but then hesitated. He had read some of the introduction notices that appeared when he started the game, but his knowledge of the game was still quite small.
    He vaguely remembered something about large parts of the game being designed to be nigh on impossible for a lone warrior to conquer...
    He sat down abruptly with his legs crossed, taking of his lion helm and scratching his hair, confused. "What do I do first?" ​He asked idly.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Caro slumps the ground, tears welling in her eyes as she looks down at her all to recognizable petite hands and feet "But I'm not supposed to be here. I Shouldn't be here. He's going to kill me, I never should have logged in with his stuff." She says mostly to herself, disbelief and panic setting in. "What am I going to do now?"

She looks pensively upwards at the group around her, hopeful that they would fix everything, to make this all go away.
    The hope only lasted a second, quashed when Zhao, one of the big strong warriors standing around her sat down beside her with a look of confusion. "We really are stuck here aren't we?" she asks him defeat echoing in her quivering voice.
    Last edited by blondebandit; 2016-07-16 at 04:34 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Zhao looked at the timid looking girl, and tried to smile encouragingly. "Perhaps, perhaps not. we cannot leave ourselves, but I suppose we cannot know whether getting us out from the outside is possible or not." He said "All I know is that I cannot sit idly by when a madman captures and threatens innocent people like that. I will fight, and I will hold my blade high, and I will keep doing that until we are free and he is brought to justice."

He stood up again, raising his glaive above his head. "He may have trapped us in here, but he has also given us the tools to make our way out! A battle is never lost as long as you do not lose hope!"

He smiled at the girl, after which his expression turned somewhat sheepish. "My problem is that I... Er, well I was a bit too eager when entering the game, so I didn't read much about how the game actually works. I know how to fight, and I've figure out the skills..." He scratched his head again, then exclaimed "But that is a failing another can cover! I am a warrior. What I need to guide me is a strategist. Sworn brothers to fight by my side, and a sleeping dragon to guide our steps into battle! I must find my own Zhuge Liang!"
    The last part of his outburst was yelled out loud, and he looked around eagerly, as if expecting a master strategist to walk out of the crowd at any moment.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Yumiko

She looks over the duo and approaches. Taking a seat herself. How weird. "That's one way to think about escaping. Not a bad one either." I'll hold out on outsiders rescuing us.

"My name is Yumiko. Please call me by that instead of any other name you hear. What's your character name?"

A sly smile crosses her face. Talking to Zhao, "You plan to continue playing the game? I mean, healing is pretty fast and getting hurt doesn't make you feel pain. If you take things slow, don't try to fight things too difficult, training could be relativity safe. Something like rock climbing or camping. Safe usually, but potentially dangerous."

"I'm a merchant and crafter." Like she's had time to developed those skills... It's all about spirit really! "I can sell you what you need. Make it easier for you to do your thing. What do you say? You interested in me being your primary supplier? You'd be my first regular. I will give you a once in a life time discount... To the both of you."
    Last edited by Elbeyon; 2016-07-16 at 05:55 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Zhao looked at the girl, Yumiko, for a moment. "Hmm, not a strategist..." He said. He wasn't disappointed, exactly, but he had secretly held a bit of hope that one would reveal himself. He then broke into a smile again. "But merchants and craftsmen are just as important! An army does not function on soldiers alone, for it is not certain a warrior knows how to maintain a spear, or repair an armor."

"Besides, even the virtuous Liu Bei had to visit Zhuge Liang three times before the strategist decided to join him." He said with a casual shrug. "I will make as many attempts as necessary to find one. It will be my honour to be your regular. I am Zhao."
    He continued brightly, bowing slightly with his hands clasped in front of him in the ancient soldier's salute.

Already the situation brightens. He thought to himself. It was much easier to hide his own fear and nervousness when another supported him.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Oh my god i'm surrounded by idiots, Zen thought as he look at Zhao prouncing like some wannabe hero. All around him, he could hear all different kinds of responses. There were people shouting in anger and cursing out Kayaba's name (like Zhao). Some people didn't believe him at all and didn't think he could really trap them like that (like Yumiko). Others were sobbing and drowning in sorrow (like Caro). Zen kept an entirely deadpan face through it all, even as Zhao shouted again and again and again. He pretended to fiddle with his armor a little bit as he ever so slightly took two steps back and away from the crazy person dressed like a Dynasty Warrior.

Zen was.....disappointed to say the least. This was certainly not how he thought his day would end. To avoid sinking into despair, Zen's thoughts wandered to how he got into this mess in the first place...

~~~

"OHMYGODJUSTSHUTUPITSSAFEIPROMISEBYE" Kevin shouted at the top of his head as he slammed and locked his door. He collapsed on his bed with his spoils of conquest - a VR headset called NerveGear and a copy of one of the hottest games to hit the market: Sword Art Online. He had waited a very, very long time to get his hands on this copy of the game. The amount of money and effort he had spent for this single game was almost immoral. There were probably literal villages in Africa with starving children that would have put that money to better use. But Kevin wasn't thinking about crying children in Africa right now. No, he was plugging in the headset and getting ready to set up this game right now.

Kevin was never lucky enough to be one of the Beta Testers - hell he lived in New York. He was lucky to get his hands on the game at all. No, instead he had spent lots of time, money, and effort to learn everything he could from the Beta Testers that would talk. He had to separate the lies and cheats from the real deal, but it wasn't hard to get one or two people to share their experiences. And everything he heard just spurred him on more and more. Most importantly, it allowed him to plan for the "perfect" beginning to the game - or at least as perfect as he could get it.

Kevin is a hardcore gamer at heart - and a perfectionist to boot. He wanted to make sure he would start in the absolutely best way possible. He wasn't going to flounder around like any other idiot joining on the first day. He planned out the quests he would do, the equipment he wanted, the places he would train and fight at. He even purposely ate an extra big meal before just so he could game for as long as humanly possible. If only he could stay in forever!

Not all wishes should come true...

~~~

Zen sighed as he was suddenly snapped back to this depressing reality. He looked down at his hands and just silently wept to himself. He had spent so long designing his character - big and tall with broad shoulders and a strong jawline. He was supposed to be a shining knight in armor. It was one thing to trap them here, but now he had to look like his real life self? What was this tomfoolery?!? Hilariously, he was still wearing the same banded mail and heavy shield that he had on before the transformation mirror. He looked like a dorky asian kid playing at a medieval fair with a knight complex.

He looked at Zhao and just shook his head. He really shouldn't judge - at least he was courageous enough to want to get out of here. Stupid, but at least courageous.

Zen wanted to reflexively introduce himself but as he opened his mouth he stopped. His...his name was Zen. Looking down at his hands, he felt wrong to call himself "Kevin" in this type of world. Everything seemed so crazy and upside-down. He was going to need to get used to this.

Stepping over to the side, he lent out a hand to Caro. "Uh....didn't we party before? I didn't know you were such a young girl..." Zen said as his voice trailed off. He looked over at Zhao and just sort of shrugged. "Well...uh...hi," he said as he looked at his "salute" oddly. What time machine did this guy step out of...?

9. - Top - End - #9

Kirus plopped a hand down on Zhao's shoulder, smiling down at him and the others with an easy grin. "If you're looking for a strategist then you've found him. Kirus of the Fading Flames, victorious general of a thousand campaigns and bane to GMs and coders everywhere. I'm not about to let my rep get besmirched just because this one's got a bigger god complex than usual."

Glancing around his smile lessened slightly as he surveyed the crowd. "Not to sound callous or anything, but I figure collective shock is going to start wearing off pretty soon. The starter hills are going to be overloaded to the point of uselessness. We want to be past them before that happens. In a player economy like this, novelty pays dividends. Unique quests, early supply access, or even just sellable info."

10. - Top - End - #10

WhiteWizardGirl

Caro reaches up and took Zen's hand in appreciation, taking a moment to try and place him. "Hey! I'm not that young! Also, I recall you being umm...bigger." She remarks defensively, still appreciative on the helping hand.

Caro looked around the group that had surrounded her, the tears starting to finally dry in her eyes. If she was going to be stuck here, there were a lot worse options then the group around her. They all looked like they might at least be able to hold their own in a fight. Looking over a Yumiko, a shy smiles cracks through her sadness"I guess if I'm stuck here, I can probably spend his Col." She replies kindly.

Her levity only lasted a moment though before, Kirius' comment brings reality crashing back down on her again. If she was going to survive this, it was going to be with her sword, not with tears. Trying to stand a little straighter, she instinctively reaches for her scimitar feeling the weight in its scabbard. "Does anyone know where to go? My brother was the beta tester, and didn't exactly leave me a map in his room."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

"Aha, a strategist, already!" Zhao exclaimed, whirling around and bowing to Kirus and Zen in turn. "Three warriors, a craftswoman and a strategist. Now THIS is starting to look like a group of heroes!" He continued happily.

As Kirus' second comment sank in he lost some of his good humour, then resolutely put his helmet back on. Flourishing his glaive and setting the butt down onto the ground with a clang, he stood up straight. "Then let us embark on our quest! There is no time to lose!"

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Yumiko

"That's the spirit." She pats Caro on the shoulder. A lot of those to go around nowadays. "Spend money. Become strong."

Half the people around her standing. The other half sitting. It's best to be standing in these situations, right? She puts her metal knee to the ground and gets a quick rise. "Some information would be nice. I admit. I don't know where to go or a terrible amount. Heh, terrible describes my know-how perfectly." It'd be nice to have some items to sell too. Even if there just common ones.

"Should we rush for some easy mobs?"
    Last edited by Elbeyon; 2016-07-17 at 03:38 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

"Pst.... Psssst...." heavely cloaked player trys to flag the "party" down. He seems to have slunk away from the rest of the 9,786 people in the town square and down an ally way. With good timing too, the crowds emotions start to boil over into out rage and riots start forming. Players start flooding into town shops buying everything they can afford, while other more angered individuals are destroying that aren't immortal objects.

He looks around and starts waving more frantically trying to get the groups attention.
    GENERATION 19

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by blondebandit View Post
    "Does anyone know where to go? My brother was the beta tester, and didn't exactly leave me a map in his room."
    "My buddy Ken was in the beta, he talked about stuff from time to time so I know bits and pieces. Of course they probably changed a bunch of stuff, that's the point of a beta test, and they didn't get past the first dozen or so floors anyways. I do know they kept the level of mobs near the Town of Beginnings weak enough that a Level 1 with the starter weapon could beat it without much trouble, they're meant for practicing combat mechanics more than grinding."

Quote Originally Posted by Elbeyon View Post
    "Some information would be nice. I admit. I don't know where to go or a terrible amount. Heh, terrible describes my know-how perfectly."
    "This is going to sound counter-intuitive, but even as a crafter you're going to want to spend some time in the fields and dungeons. Ken talked about important bonus drops that only showed up when a crafter was in the party, and an under-leveled party member is an accident waiting to happen. The ones trying to grind out trash recipes in town with what everyone else brings back will advance safely, but slowly, because they're all trying to sell the same junk."

Quote Originally Posted by arixe View Post
    "Pst.... Psssst...."
    Kirus glances over, back to the crowd, and then to the group. "We need to move. Let's see what this guy has to say, then high-tail it past the hills."

Pulling up his menu he sent a quick party invite to the others around him before heading towards the alleyway.
    Last edited by Lokyar; 2016-07-17 at 03:31 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Yumiko

She smiles. "I already increased my gathering ability some. My friend let me follow her and gather from all the mobs we killed"

"Thanks for the advice." Party request accepted. "I'm looking forward this." The act of crafting is boring anyway. You hit the objects with a hammer a few times and it morphs. Nah, it's all about the mental aspect. She'll follow the group.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Zhao looked surprised for a second when the pop-up for a party appeared, but it quickly changed to a grin. Aha, an official notice of alliance. Splendid! He thought, before immediately pushing accept and following Kirus.

17. - Top - End - #17

SwashbucklerGuy

Zen kept a straight face on, even though he was dying of embarrassment on the inside. He just smiled and completely failed to acknowledge anyone else around him as he just looked on. He didn't laugh at the strategist boast, or even react when Zhao kept on bowing to everyone. All these people are so crazy to get themselves killed, Zen thought as he adjusted his armor again. He knew that there wasn't any reason to - his strength stat wasn't any different so it wasn't like the armor didn't fit anymore. But he just felt less comfortable now that he was in his "real" body. He could imagine being a knight in shining armor, but it was much harder to imagine being a knight in his own body. He shuddered at the thought.

Zen looked up when he saw the party invite. He let out a soft sigh, hesitated for a moment, and then pressed accept. He didn't want to argue with these crazy people - if they wanted to indulge their fantasies, he would do it. I mean what else can I do, he thought as he approached the shady looking man in the cloak. This day can't possibly get any crazier....right? Following dutifully behind his new "strategist", Zen resigned himself to whatever fate would lead him next. Hey, at least the game was fun.

....mendokusai....

18. - Top - End - #18

The hooded player ducks into the ally to avoid further detection now that he has the groups. As you enter the ally you see him standing there ominously.

"Welcome to Mole's information sales." the voice is an obvious attempt to diguse the players truely squeeky teen age voice. "I over heard your dilemma and thought i could offer my services to help you get an edge on the competition. For a fee of course are any of you interested?" his voice gets more comical with every word he cracks his voice on trying to sounds mysterous but sounding more clownish.
    GENERATION 19

19. - Top - End - #19

SwashbucklerGuy

Zen looked at the hooded player and contemplating laughing out loud. Deciding against that particular course of action, he elected to shrug and look at the others with a completely blank face. "He seems reliable," he said in a totally deadpan voice. "Maybe he knows something."

20. - Top - End - #20

WhiteWizardGirl

Caro, smiles as the party invitation pops into her view and quickly accepts. These people don't seem to bad. She follows behind silently as they head off towards the alley.

After listening to the hooded players offer, Caro looks up at Zen with a look of bewilderment. "Really? Cause my parents told me definitely not to trust strangers stalking alleyways. Not that they needed to tell me of course..."

21. - Top - End - #21

"Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but I'm gonna have to ask where you'd have this info considering the game just started. I imagine alot of people are going to be looking to make a quick buck off of the panic." Kirus watched and listened to the cloaked figure carefully. He could recognize a fellow skeptic in Zen but Zhao seemed entirely too quick to trust.

Spoiler
    Show

Sense Motive
    (1d20+15)[35]

22. - Top - End - #22

"Alright is see your skeptical.Well as for my sources I have some budies in the beta. So how about Mole sweeten the pot I will give one of my lovely little bits of quest information and if it turns out to be wrong all you did was waste some time. So I got this quest up in north west next a forest theres a town. Apperently the black smith there has a pretty neet quest to get you a leg up on your compition. There you go thats your freebee. If you wanna check back after you verify my info is good I'll be at the swallow tail inn in this town."

Spoiler: Sense Motive Results
    Show
    He is telling to truth but embellishing a bit.
    GENERATION 19

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Zhao simply looked at the... Mole... With a blank expression. He didn't feel like the little man was trustworthy. anyone who found it necessary to skulk like this seldom where. But instead of saying anything he left the decision to the others, Kirus in particular. This was also one of those things where the wise strategist shined. Zhao would give his opinion on this if asked about it.
    Last edited by gremlin-pult; 2016-07-18 at 08:14 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Yumiko

She hms. "He is a green player. It's not like we had any better ideas. Get a bit of distance from the town and do some stuff. If what he's saying is true we've got a nice perk. If not, we did what we were going to do to anyway. Explore a bit farther away from town."

25. - Top - End - #25

SwashbucklerGuy

Zen looked at Caro and slowly blinked his eyes. His blank stare was hard to read - either he couldn't believe that Caro thought he was being sincere, or he was sincerely dumb and ignorant. Slowly, he smiled and shook his head but he didn't respond.

Instead, he took a few moments to look at his HUD and all the information that he could gather. It was quite impressive really - the world still felt so immersive even when he could see things like HP bars and party member names. Everything was visible without being in the way. For practice, he swiped his menu and brought up a map of the town. The area around it was still unexplored and hazy for him. He wondered how they might even get to the forest in the first place.

Looking at Yumiko, he shrugged. "Where's this forest anyway? I didn't get to go that far so I don't know the way," he said as he continued to look at his rather sparse map.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Yumiko

"...Well, he said northwest. I don't remember seeing a forest. I mostly explored the town's south side."

"You have better directions than go northwest... Mole?" She said with some distaste. "Is that your character's name? It's a bit cheesy to call the information guy Mole."

27. - Top - End - #27

SwashbucklerGuy

Zen raised an eyebrow when Yumiko called Mole cheesy. Almost for comedic effect, he slowly glanced over at the dude with Chinese armor and a spear who called himself Zhao. Like after the Chinese hero from Dynasty Warriors. Hell, all of them were a little cheesy here - that was the point.

"It'll be nice to have a map," he said as he dismissed his own incomplete map from view. Looking out to the market square, he could see people starting to get hysterical. "Preferably now rather than later..."

28. - Top - End - #28

"Fine..." he flips though some menues and sends the party the map data for the path he has from his beta contacts. "The village is called Horunka. It currently has one weapons shop, a tools shop and an Inn. Also along the way "steer" clear of the farms the animals there are unnaturally agressive" he makes an odd wink like hes trying to hint to something subtly but hes being pretty overt like a guy with a facial tick.

He flips his cloak super hero style and vanishes leaving his cloak behind.
    GENERATION 19

29. - Top - End - #29

WhiteWizardGirl

"Well that was a odd." Caro remarks, a little more at ease after watching her companions reactions to Mole.

"I take it we are going to take his advice and head to this village?" She asks no one in particular as she checks over her armor and weapon, far more critical of them now that her life depends on them working correctly.

She takes a steadying breath. "If we're going to do this, guess now is probably the best time to do it."

30. - Top - End - #30

SwashbucklerGuy

Bluff check to look apathetic!

Spoiler: Bluff
    Show
    (d20+5)[17]

Zen looked as the strange man waltzed away, before he sighed and pulled up the map. It wasn't close but it wasn't that far. Maybe they could get there soon enough. At least there'll be plenty of mobs to grind on the way there, he thought as his thoughts drifted. His hand was just slightly shaking as he thought about fighting for his life. He wasn't a fighter or a warrior and he didn't have any wish to save the world. He chose a tanky character because tanks are easy to play - not because he wanted to be the first to die!

Sighing another time, he dismissed the map and just shrugged. "I guess we can go now. You ready?"