Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default You are the Apocalypse: Darkova

From the book of Expirations, chapter 4, verses 1 to 5:

1 And with the Bull shall rise the Consumer. 2 The Consumer will devour rather than destroy, but it too will do so to all. 3 Yet while the Bull is anger, the Consumer is fear. 4 And just like the being of destruction will be destruction to all, the being of fear will bring fear to all. 5 And like fear, the Consumer will not die, and all will despair.

The gnome city of Brimwater, located on the aptly named Third Island, is a peaceful place. The sulfur mines and alchemical workshops provide the city with a reliable source of wealth, the gnomes' enemies prefer to targets less likely to sink their ships with wood-destroying concoctions, and the isolated location means it's free of monsters. Well, it used to be, at the very least.

These are but a few of the conflicted, scared thoughts going through a particular gnome's head as Grimm continues to work his power. Every jolt of pain, every joint dislocating itself gives the gnome another thing to fear, and every time said fear comes true. It is anything but pleasant, but it is definitely effective.

The man's spine snaps, causing him to fall over. His limbs twist and lengthen, allowing him to shamble around on all fours. While the old spine is replaced by a newly grown one, its shards pierce his back, giving him dreadful spines. The gnome, if it can still be called a gnome, sees his nails and teeth elongate and sharpen into deadly weapons before a wave of nausea overpowers him. Old organs, no longer sufficient, are vomited out, and new ones regenerate to take their place.

As the gnome gives in to the overpowering emotions, he dimly notices his skin turning scaly and thick. It's the last thing he ever notices before his psyche is snuffed out and too replaced by something better.

The monster, for that is what it is now, bursts out of the gnomish house. Frightened people run in all directions, calling for the watch, the army, the pirate lords, anyone, to do something. A few try to hide in alleys or beneath debris. The monster roars.

Such is the beginning of the life of Darkova, the Consumer.

Spoiler: Location
    Show
    Have you had enough of unreasonably high LA's and unplayable monsters in 3.5? Then check out the LA-assignment thread! Don't hesitate to give feedback!

Extended signature!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: You are the Apocalypse: Darkova

Darkova smiles as much of a smile as can be attained from a bestial mouth full of fangs

'Glorious' he thinks 'watch how they run, already afraid of my magnificent form'

He shakes like a hound emerging from a river, scattering fragments of brick and timber instead of water.

'Running is good, yes, but escaping, no. How shall I ensure one over the other hmm?' he ponders silently 'of course, the ships. Let us begin'

Darkova roars into the sky once more, before stepping from the ruins of his former home and turning in the street towards the docks.
    Spoiler: Games I'm a part of
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

At first, Darkova can advance easily. The gnomes scatter before him, and the few stones thrown at him by brave gnomes (who are suddenly less brave when the beast turns in their direction) bounce off his hide harmlessly.

After rounding another corner, however, the monstrosity spots a group of armed and armored gnomes approaching, numbering about half a dozen. They draw crossbows and prepare to fire. To the back of the group, a robed gnome stands.

The sudden sight of Darkova, however, seems to be something they aren't prepared for. The gnomes take a step back in fear, giving the monster a few seconds to strike first.

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show
    I went ahead and rolled initiative for you. If you don't like this, please tell me.

The gnomes are fifty feet away from you.

Crossbowmen: (1d20)[5]
    Robed gnome: (1d20+1)[2]

Darkova, the Consumer: (1d20+5)[20]
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2016-07-17 at 01:19 PM.
    Have you had enough of unreasonably high LA's and unplayable monsters in 3.5? Then check out the LA-assignment thread! Don't hesitate to give feedback!

Extended signature!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Darkova lets loose a throaty chuckle that could easily be taken as a growl, this is the mighty force that stands in his way? He thinks not.
    Darkova thrashes his tail and bursts towards the quailing squad, tearing into them as a dervish of tooth, claw and horn, even a tongue flicks out to an improbably length to snare the robed figure hiding to the rear.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

I'm fine with you rolling initiative, saves time really

Charge followed by pounce
    Bite
    (1d20+16)[31]
    (3d8+16)[25]
    Claw
    (1d20+16)[34]
    (1d8+11)[13]
    Claw
    (1d8+11)[15]
    Horn
    (1d20+16)[22]
    (1d8)[4]
    Horn
    (1d20+16)[29]
    (1d8)[5]
    Tongue
    (1d20+16)[17]
    no damage
    Cleave (if applicable)
    (1d20+16)[17]
    Cleave damage is equal to the attack that triggered the cleave, so feel free to roll that when/if resolving
    Grapple (if tongue hits)
    (1d20+26)[28]

Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Darkova rushes forward and falls upon the gnomes. Its claws cut down two of the crossbowgnomes, two more fall to its horns and the last one is bitten in half. The monster's tongue shoots forward, but misses the robed gnome and instead crushes the pavement next to him. The gnome backs away about five feet, getting out of range of Darkova's tongue.

The final remaining gnome looks in disbelief at the carnage ensuing in front of him, then mumbles some arcane words followed by a loud exclamation.

"Chains of the seventh circle of binding! Cometh forth and stop this dreadful foe!"

Dozens of chains silently rise from the ground between Darkova and his final adversary, anchoring themselves to the houses, the ground, and in some cases nothing at all. The resulting wall is twenty feet from side to side and about thirty feet high, higher than Darkova himself. It completely blocks off passage through the street. The gnome, now about fifteen feet away from Darkova, looks through with a smug expression, and prepares to run.

Spoiler: Sense Motive DC 17
    Show
    The gnome seemed less than secure when casting his spell.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Rule one of a good apocalypse game: have plenty of redshirts around.
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2016-07-17 at 02:36 PM.

Extended signature!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Darkova snorts as the smug gnome turns before tearing into the ground, descending rapidly. The ground quakes and shift as Darkova's horns skim the surface like a pair of hungry sharks, slipping underneath the magical barrier before he bursts through the road beneath the mage jaws stretched wide

Show

sense motive (+5 from destroyer if my maths is right)
    (1d20+5)[25]
    Bite [roll]1d20+16[/roll]
    damage [roll]3d8+16[/roll]
    grapple[roll]1d20+26[/roll]
    Last edited by Smeggedoff; 2016-07-17 at 02:52 PM.
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

((ugh))
    Show

I'll get back into the swing of not breaking diceroller code eventually, promise
    Bite (1d20+16)[34]
    damage (3d8+16)[28]
    grapple (1d20+26)[35]
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

The gnome screams as Darkova erupts from the ground, then abruptly stops as he is devoured whole. His barrier of chains flickers for a moment, then disappears.

Darkova has eliminated the entire guard patrol in under ten seconds, leaving nothing but mutilated corpses and splatterings of blood.

Extended signature!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Darkova purrs in satisfaction as he sets out once more for the docks. Fun is fun, but business is business.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Darkova makes his way to the docks. Two more guard patrols are encountered, but they immediately flee into narrow alleys upon seeing the monstrosity.

As Darkova nears the harbor, he notices a large bird right above him mounted by a gnome. Two large saddlebags hang on either side of the bird. It swoops down, getting within thirty feet of the monster, and the gnome takes something from the bag and flings it at Darkova.

"Hey, meatlump! Can't get me up here, can you?"

A vial filled with greenish liquid smashes on the monster's head and covering it in a vitrolic substance. It burns like acid, except it doesn't burn at all.

Spoiler: Attack
    Show
    Attack roll: (1d20+4)[14]
    Damage roll: (2d6+1)[7]

Acid resistance reduces this to 0 damage.

Show
    The gnome got a surprise round because it was hidden behind the buildings at the start of its turn. It first rose diagonally, about a hundred feet, moved a bit more, then moved twenty-five down and back up.
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2016-07-18 at 05:36 AM.

Extended signature!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Forgot the initiative.

Darkova: (1d20+5)[17]
    Gnome: (1d20+6)[13]

Extended signature!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Darkova shakes in an effort to dislodge the foul sludge. It may not hurt, but it's not exactly pleasant.
    'no, no I can't' he thinks 'but I have no need'

The beast draws in a mighty breath before releasing a roar that shakes the kingdom, reverberating into the very bones of the sky-knights steed.
    As the bird plummets towards his jaws, Darkova takes a moment to ponder why all of his food seems to be coming from above. 'Manna from heaven indeed'

Show

As a note, Darkova can speak common, but I'm keeping most of his monologue internal. I figure "surprise, I can actually understand you" could be a pretty dramatic reveal at some point.

actions
    move - Primal Roar - Everythign in a 1000 foot radius for Darkova's current position becomes a zone that pulls any fliers down to 10 feet above the ground at the start of each turn for 10 rounds. The initial ability doesn't describe a save, but a later advancement of the ability describes the DC becoming tougher. I would presume this would be a save of 11+HD+con mod (33) like most of his other abilities.

Standard
    Bite (1d20+16)[21]
    damage (3d8+16)[30]
    grapple(1d20+26)[37]
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Saving throw
    Show
    (1d20+6)[19]

To its rider's surprise, the hawk starts falling towards the ground, right towards Darkova's waiting jaws. However, the armored bird twists aside at the last moment and Darkova's teeth only scratch its armor.

"What in the name of the ageless kraken was that?"

Its distraught rider quickly steers his bird over the rooftops, but not before throwing one last item at the monster. The small glass vial hits and shatters, spreading a numb sensation through Darkova's forelimb.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack roll in the next post.

Show
    I believe saving throws are typically 10 + 1/2 HD + con mod, and it is no different for big T. Have you mixed it up with the SR? The adjusted DC would be 27.

The bird uses the withdraw action, so you don't get an AoO.
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2016-07-18 at 07:28 AM.

Extended signature!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Show

Numbers shifted a bit during stages of CC and at one point I noticed the sheet failed to save properly. I tried to keep everything correct but if you notice in incongruity do let me know. (which reminds me I need to removed that extra 1d6 acid damage from his bite)

Indeed, half HD, so the save for Primal roar would indeed be 27
    His spell resistance DOES use full HD though
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+4)[22]
    On a hit, a DC 17 fortitude save to avoid (1d6)[1] point of dexterity damage must be made, with another save to avoid (2d6)[6] points of dexterity damage after that.
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2016-07-18 at 07:28 AM.

Extended signature!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Darkova growls at the numbing sensation before scraping the offending fluid on the corner of the nearest building. That gnome was beginning to get annoying.
    Confident the mixture was nothing more than an annoyance, Darkova moves on, keeping an eye out for any other surprises

Show

Assuming a flask of poison hits touch ac here.
    Save 1 (1d20+19)[33]
    Save 2 (1d20+19)[34]
    Last edited by Smeggedoff; 2016-07-18 at 08:51 AM.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Darkova continues moving towards the docks, where several ships already seem to be leaving. Several dire hawks, one of them perhaps carrying the gnome who irked the monster so much, can also be seen rising. Most of them head north or east, but one instead travels southwest, flying a few hundred feet above Darkova.

Show
    A minute has passed, so Primal Roar has ended.
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2016-07-19 at 12:54 AM.

Extended signature!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Darkova eyes the docks warily for a moment, before deciding on a course of action. tearing through the cobbles he once again drops below the streets, tunnelling his way into the harbour in pursuit of the boats.

Show

Darkova can tunnel at a speed of 30ft, while the rules don't specifically state you can't use the run action while using other forms of movement, they state you need to be able to see while you're going, and I don't think tremorsense cuts it.
    As such, Darkova uses a free action to activate Rush on his first turn, tunnelling 120ft as a move action, and burning his standard action to do so again
    He'll then take moves until he's in the harbour, then his swim speed of 50ft kicks in and he can begin pursuing the ships.
    I realise the fliers means that trying to cut off escapees and communication is a fruitless effort (also, magic) but hey, darkova's smart, but not THAT smart
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Darkova's underground journey is eventless (and why wouldn't it be?), except for the discovery of an empty cellar, which is filled with rubble and dust once Darkova has passed through.

Then Darkova bursts from the bricks that cover the harbor area. Several ships have already left the harbor, but others are still preparing to set sail. Large crowds of civilians are attempting to board the ships. When they see the beast burst forth from the ground, they either flee, redouble their efforts to get aboard a ship, or draw what little weaponry they have.

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show
    Gnomes: (1d20)[20]
    Darkova: (1d20+5)[7]

Show
    SRD says:

Movement Modes
    Creatures may have modes of movement other than walking and running. These are natural, not magical, unless specifically noted in a monster description.

Burrow
    A creature with a burrow speed can tunnel through dirt, but not through rock unless the descriptive text says otherwise. Creatures cannot charge or run while burrowing. Most burrowing creatures do not leave behind tunnels other creatures can use (either because the material they tunnel through fills in behind them or because they do not actually dislocate any material when burrowing); see the individual creature descriptions for details.

Extended signature!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

The gnomes brave enough to do so fling a variety of rocks and bricks at the monster, but the objects fail to penetrate his thick hide.

Some gnomes draw crossbows and fire, but even their iron bolts fail to penetrate the monster's hide.

Spoiler: Attacks
    Show
    (1d20+2)[12], (1d8)[4]
    (1d20+2)[5], (1d8)[6]
    (1d20+2)[21], (1d8)[1]
    (1d20+2)[6], (1d8)[6]
    (1d20+2)[10], (1d8)[6]

However, it seems the mass contains more dangerous foes as two spheres filled with reddish water are flung forwards. Some primal instinct, or perhaps a memory from his gnomish life, tells Darkova he'd best avoid them. One of the spheres, however, strikes him near his eyes, and the fluid from within starts dripping into them.

Show
    (1d20+2)[13] If hit (touch attack), make a DC 15 reflex save or be blinded for (2d4)[5] rounds.
    (1d20+2)[5]. If hit (touch attack), make a DC 15 reflex save or be blinded for (2d4)[3] rounds.

Other gnomes simply flee. A few jump in the water, others try to escape through narrow alleys (which this city seems to have an unnecessary amount of).
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2016-07-19 at 01:33 PM.

Extended signature!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Darkova twitches as the liquid splatters over his brow, narrowly avoided getting the sludge in his eyes. Hissing like an enraged cat he takes a mighty leap into the cold waters of the sea attempting to catch any ship he can before they build up enough speed to escape

Show

reflex - (1d20+4)[16]
    Last edited by Smeggedoff; 2016-07-19 at 02:01 PM.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

With a mighty splash, Darkova enters the sea, crushing a rowboat and half a dozen gnomes who sought refuge in the harbor. The monster then begins to swim away, to the collective delight of the dozens of gnomes gathered in the harbor square.

The ship's crew is slightly less delighted. They row as fast as possible, yet Darkova is gaining on them.

When the distance between the ship and the monster is no more than a few hundred feet, the ship suddenly turns its side to the monster. Several ports open, and iron tubes are extended from them. Before Darkova can react, a thunderous sound resonates and fire and smoke blast forward from the tubes.

Spoiler: Attack rolls
    Show
    (1d20-9)[7] for (3d10)[11] points of damage.
    (1d20-9)[11] for (3d10)[19] points of damage.
    (1d20-9)[-8] for (3d10)[18] points of damage.
    (1d20-9)[11] for (3d10)[7] points of damage.

Show
    Distance to the ship is 750 feet.

Also, STEAMPUNK GNOME CANNONS AW YEAH. I need to keep you challenged somehow, need I not? Though with such bad accuracy I doubt I'll be able to.

Extended signature!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Two natural twenties, so two automatic hits. I take back anything I said about bad accuracy. After DR, that's 16 points of damage. The attacks weren't crits either, so you'll just regen it, but still, it can bleed!

Rolls to confirm (yeah, that'll happen):

(1d20-9)[-6] for (6d10)[36] extra damage.
    (1d20-9)[3] for (6d10)[36] extra damage.
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2016-07-19 at 02:46 PM.

Extended signature!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

As two of the cannonballs hit Darkova square, cheers can be heard from both the gnome ship and the harbor. The heavy iron projectiles crack open Darkova's scales, bruising the flesh and muscle beneath. Blackish blood pours forth, giving the water an ugly look.
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2016-07-19 at 02:46 PM.

Extended signature!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Darkova lets forth a rumbling growl and spears towards the ship, striking below the waterline

Show

augh seriously? I typed up a big thing and it got deleted
    regen 5 - 11 subdual damage remains

Gonna go for the break DC (which you'll need to set), unlikely to succeed since the +8 from huge size only applies to doors but I might get lucky and one shot it.
    (1d20+11)[24]
    Lemme know if you'd rather handle attempting to sink the ship differently.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    The ship is still 750 feet away. With Rush, you could get next to it (50 feet swim speed multiplied by four for Rush, then taking the Run action, but you wouldn't be able to attack in the same round.

Extended signature!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Show

Ah sorry, yeah, Then my actions consist of move/move until I get within range. I don't really have ranged attacks barring Primal roar but I doubt that'd do anything to a ship
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Darkova swims at incredible speeds, crossing the distance between it and the ship in a matter of seconds. The screams of terrified gnomes can be heard: it is a sound the monster has gotten used to.

"It's too fast! I don't want to die yet!"
    "It took two cannonballs to the face and it's still standing? What's that beast made of?"
    "It's... it's healing! It's healing its wounds!"
    "Mommy, what's happening?"

From the ship, several crossbow bolts are fired at Darkova. All fail to hurt the beast.

Show
    (1d20+3)[14] for (1d8)[2] damage.
    (1d20+3)[5] for (1d8)[8] damage.
    (1d20+3)[17] for (1d8)[4] damage.
    (1d20+3)[4] for (1d8)[4] damage.
    (1d20+3)[17] for (1d8)[5] damage.

Show
    Who knows, the ship may be a dragon disguised by an illusion. What? This is the second most likely place for such a thing to happen.
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2016-07-20 at 10:02 AM.

Extended signature!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Darkova shudders as the toothpicks splinter on his hide, the sound of terror music to his ears. He finds himself shivering in anticipation and readies to crack the hull like an egg.

Show

regen 5 down to 6 subdual

Oh yeah, you described the gnomes as using magic and illusions to keep away sea monsters. I'm half expecting +1 ships of spell storing, or giant mimics trained to carry passengers. Some sort of trained sea monster covered by an illusion is completely within the realm of possibility.

There's a break attempt in a previous post, unless you'd like me to reroll. Of course if the ship does turn out to be some sort of beastie then I'll make attack rolls
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    I'm using some Stormwrack rules, so destroying ships is done by attacking different sections. A strength check won't work.

Extended signature!