Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default The Vanstermen OOC

Long Live the Vansterman!

Welcome to the game. Post at least once here and claim a colour for dialogue.
    IC Thread: here.

Player Characters

Player Character Race Role Sheet
    Wogwoggle Kára Halfdansget Human Melee/Leader Sheet
    HatMadder Lim Ruksget Halfling Healer/Scout Sheet
    SaintRidley Gerđr Hildrsget Halfling Archer/Hunter Sheet

Retired Characters

Player Character Race Role Sheet
    GhostNappa Ivar Jorsget Human Archer/Hunter Sheet

Current Combat Map:Here.

Spoiler: BIG SIXTEEN
    Show
    1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?
    D&D 5th Edition.

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?
    Homebrewed campaign setting. See Homebrew Spoiler below.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
    4 - 5. Would like to start with at least 4, willing to accept a 5th if I can’t decide between two.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?
    These forums. Probably a Google doc map here and there.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
    5th level.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
    Start with a Raider’s Pack: a backpack, a bedroll, 10 rations, a waterskin, a flask, a Painted Shield, 50 ft of hempen rope, and one weapon that you’re proficient with. As well as 2d100 gp for your various accoutrements.

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?
    This is gonna be complicated, see the Homebrew section below.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?
    Only Human, Human (Variant), Lightfoot Halflings, and Stout Halflings.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?
    Roll 7 sets of 4d6b3 and drop the lowest for abilities. If it's worse than 25 Point Buy, take 25 Point Buy. Roll for the four levels and if it’s below average, take average for HP. This is only for character creation.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
    Yes, but instead of moral absolutes, good and evil are more relative to cultural norms.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?
    Yes, but only to allowable classes.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?
    You do your rolls right in the thread, I’ll do my rolls elsewhere.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.
    Oh yeah, lots. Putting them in the next spoiler box for access.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
    Very much needed. I’ll be choosing people based on how well you’ve immersed your character into my setting.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
    Hack and slash, roleplaying, some governance, and some leadership scenes. Won’t be much for puzzles. Plenty of exploration, though.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?
    In the next Spoiler box you’ll have a list of what is allowed. Some SCAG, some PHB.

Spoiler: HOMEBREW INFORMATION
    Show
    So this is my non-magical game. This Setting is of my own creation, but some names and themes will feel familiar. In this world, there is no known magic and no gods of any sort. In the land you’re from there are only humans and halflings. No one has ever heard of dwarves, elves, orcs, or any other humanoids.

Allowable Races:
    Human
    Variant Human
    Stout Halfling
    Lightfoot Halfling

Allowable classes:
    Barbarian
    -Berserker
    -Totem Warrior

Fighter
    -Battle Master
    -Champion
    -Banneret

Rogue:
    -Thief
    -Assassin
    -Mastermind
    -Swashbuckler

Disallowed Feats
    Elemental Adept
    Linguist
    Mage Slayer
    Magic Initiate
    Ritual Caster
    Spell Sniper
    War Caster

Disallowed Items
    Half-plate Armor
    Splint Armor
    Plate Armor
    Crossbow, Light
    Crossbow, Hand
    Crossbow, Heavy
    Blowgun
    Acid Vials
    Alchemist’s Fire
    Any Potions
    Blowgun Needles
    Crossbow Bolts
    Any Magical Focus
    Component Pouch
    Holy Symbols
    Holy Water
    Spellbooks

Spoiler: SETTING OVERVIEW
    Show
    Vansterland is a collection of eleven provinces in a lush valley encircled by mountains on three sides and a large bay on the fourth. The province is bisected by a large river called River Orrik; this is the main waterway through the land. Each of the provinces is named after its largest city, which also happens to be the home of that province’s king. The largest city, and home to the High King, is Vansterrock and it sits beside both the end of the rivers and the bay. The people of Vansterland are of one culture, although varied in size, luck, and skill. There is one language between all the peoples, but hereditary grudges between the provinces over ancient slights here and there still remain.

Vansterrock - The largest city in all of Vansterland and home of the High King and his closest allies. The province is dotted with small villages of little repute and most of the wealth is held in the capital city. The city sits on the north shore of the River Orrik and has the Great Bay to its immediate west side. Vansterrock is the destination of the majority of trade goods and supplies. Home to the largest port, this is also the home base for almost all coastal raiders and their men. This is one of two cities with a home guard of soldiers at all times.

Tanshir - To the north of Vansterrock, the province is largely hills and fields with the city nestled on the edge of the bay. Plenty of crops are sailed over to Vansterrock and Lokshir, further south. The city and people are also excellent fishers, with only a few coastal raiders calling this port home. The northern edge of the province is cut off by steep mountains.

Lokshir - To the south of Vansterrock, this province is comprised of forests and hills that end in steep mountains to the south. Much of the woodworking of Vansterland comes from Lokshir, shipped through Vansterrock and up the River Orrik. Lokshir is also known as the best place to buy a high quality ship, for those that can afford it.

Borriston - East of Vansterrock, on the crux of the River Orrik and Shepherd’s River to the north, sits Borriston. The province is largely farmland and farmers but the city is known for housing more gamehouses and taverns than even Vansterrock. The city is largely wooden, which stands out from many of the timber and stone cities in the rest of Vansterland.

Wolshir - To the north of Borriston is the province of Wolshir, which has more herds of sheep than any other province in the land. The city is small and actually some distance from the Shepherd’s River. This sense of isolationism has been considered peaceful for many generations. The northern edge of the province leads to steep mountains.

Orrikston - To the south of Borriston is the province of Orrikston, but the city is practically due east down the River Orrik. This city is a close second to Vansterrock in terms of size, and actually surpasses it in trade. The city is also on the southwestern bank of a large, slow section of the River Orrik where it meets the Blue River from the south and the Black River from the north.

Rokstog - To the east, directly across the Blue River from Orrikston is Rokstog. Many of this provinces villages and towns follow the Blue River to the mountains in the south and sail stonework down to the other cities. The land is rocky and heavily forested, and so the people rely on trade with their neighbors for enough food. Wildmen have been known to raid deep into the province from their lands to the east.

Bludstog - South from both Orrikston and Rokstog is Bludstog. The province is filled with forests and hills but the people all live along the side of the steep mountains to the south. Considered to be naturally more rough and rugged than other provinces, many of the people here find great success as warriors, soldiers, and raiders. They also tend to turn to banditry quicker than many others.

Kattershir - To the northeast of Rokstog, across the River Orrik and upriver a ways, is Kattershir. The land is almost completely farmlands and orchards and the people are generally regarded as meek. Coincidentally, this is also the province that is most often raided by the wildmen from the east. Many of the worst stories about those wildmen come from Kattershir, although no one thinks they’re undeserved. Most of their trade goes to Rokstog and Wardston.

Wardston - To the north of Kattershir is one of the most well defended and armed provinces in all Vansterland. The city of Wardston is actually a large fortress and most of the people living in the area are soldiers or warriors assigned to defend against the Wildmen to the east. However, being so far from Vansterrock has lead to some disgruntled soldiers leaving for the more profitable life of being a coastline raider to the west.

Blackrock - To the north of Wardston are the mountain men of Blackrock. The province is largely hills that blend seamlessly into the steep mountains to the north, but every village and town seems to be practically hidden to those that don’t know any better. The people themselves are secretive and distrustful of outsiders.

Wildlands - To the east are the wildlands where men refuse the laws of the High King and raid and pillage the closest villages and towns. Occasionally a man will leave these lands to subject himself to the rules and laws of civilization for some reason or another, although this doesn’t happen often. When asked, these men tend to be exiles or criminals.

Spoiler: RAIDER LIFESTYLE
    Show
    Each of you will start the game together on a ship, sailing west on a raid. This can be your first time, your fiftieth time, or anywhere in between. Raids happen every 6-8 weeks or so and it’s a glorified affair. It takes nearly a week to sail out to the Islanders at the end of the bay, a day or two of pillaging, and another week back. Many men die out there and new raiders are always lining the docks of Vansterrock, looking to be chosen for the next voyage. The coins, furs, trinkets, gems, and other riches that are taken from the islanders always fetch a great price in Vansterrock and this wealth in turn is most often turned right back into the taverns and brothels and shipyards of the city.

In the hierarchy of Vansterland, the lowest you can be is a peasant or a commoner. Many people wishing to raise themselves from this simple but difficult life volunteer to be soldiers for the army, or try their arm at being a coastal raider. Those that really succeed have a level of wealth that far outshines the entire lifetime of a common man, however short the raider’s life may be. Fame and glory come to those who perform great deeds in battle or slay dangerous foes. It’s of these men and women that the songs are sung when one tires of histories and kings.

Spoiler: CULTURAL TIDBITS
    Show
    The Old Ways - There are some, a very small minority, that hold true to The Old Ways. These are the men and women that give thanks and respect to the spirits of the natural world. They share in ritualistic herbs and intoxicants, oftentimes more knowledgeable and wise than expected. Many people believe these practitioners to be superstitious fools, or worse, Wildmen, and they're often faced with fear and loathing. Because of this they often find themselves joining raids as an attempt to cling to some form of respectability. The prime example of this practitioner is the Totem Warrior Barbarian. His ritualistic smoking of herbs and plants allows him to "Speak with animals" and "See through their eyes." Whether anyone else takes him seriously is another question altogether.

Naming Conventions - In Vansterland all people have a name. This is often 1 or two syllables long and is akin to what you'd call a first name. Ivar, Rosco, Rikka, Jor, Tan, and Felkin are all decent examples of names. Surnames as we know them are a different matter. They're often made out of the most famous ancestor that one can trace back to, male or female, and they end in the suffix -sget. So, Tan, descendant of Jor who happens to be the old King of Lokshir, would be known colloquially as Tan Jorsget. And when Tan Jorsget performs great deeds and eventually surpasses Jor's fame with time, his own children will bear the name Tansget.

However, this takes a different path entirely when concerning those of The Old Ways. Followers of The Old Ways are often marked by natural, hopeful, descriptive, or reminiscent names. Gunnar Bearskin for example is named so because of possibly two reasons: He has the tough hide of a bear or he's likely related to a bear. He likely didn't grow up with such a name, and only adopted it when his own deeds proved out. A practitioner of The Old Ways would not falsely report a name because of how horribly dishonorable that would be. And although the laws don't prohibit it, any other follower of The Old Ways that found out would be honour-bound to duel with the false one to the death.

Languages - Every person is taught from a young age to read and write, but further education varies incredibly afterwards. Every single person in Vansterland knows one language: Vansterman. There is no Common. There is no Halfling. You'll come across languages later and they'll be real puzzles to solve. Mechanically, for every 2 languages one would learn other than Common take proficiency in a set of tools. This may be subject to review, as I'm thinking of it on the spot.

Spoiler: Found Maps
    Show
    Spoiler: Map of the Western Sea
    Show

Spoiler: Stranger's Map
    Show
    Last edited by MintyNinja; 2017-01-02 at 07:18 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Vanstermen OOC

Hello everyone! I'd like to claim Peacock for Kára's speech.

3. - Top - End - #3

RedKnightGirl

I guess I'll take Goldenrod?

I don't really have a particular affinity to anything for Ivar. I just kind of picked one.
    Last edited by Ghost Nappa; 2016-07-20 at 04:09 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Hey all, I'll go with Firebrick for Lim.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

And for Gerđr I guess I will use blue.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Now that we're all here, I just wanted to add a few things. I know Real Life can be a pain, but I'm going to aim for at least a once a day posting rate from myself. I'd be happy with the rest of you joining me on that.

This is the place for questions and clarifications. If you formulate a set of information that you want to be easily accessible, your first post is yours to do with as you like. An example would be if Ivar wanted to keep personal track over everyone's names that he meets or stories that he learns, Ghost Nappa could edit their first post to keep track of that.

In any case, I hope you all have fun.

7. - Top - End - #7

RedKnightGirl

I roll for initiative!

Wait, too soon.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Alright, adding the combat map to the first post. You can move yourselves on the map.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Pardon the double post, but I have a small request to add:

When you move In Character could you reference what square you're moving to drom the map? Just so I'm not moving people to the wrong spaces. You could also move yourself. Thanks.

10. - Top - End - #10

RedKnightGirl

In reality, taking this oar is a horrible decision for a dozen or so reasons.

But I'm gonna do it anyway.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Nappa View Post
    In reality, taking this oar is a horrible decision for a dozen or so reasons.

But I'm gonna do it anyway.
    "Pockets" is a strange word for a large oar. Ivar is able to tie it to his backpack, though, and still function normally in combat.

12. - Top - End - #12

RedKnightGirl

Spoiler
    Show

If something doesn't fit in hammerspace, you aren't hammering space hard enough.

13. - Top - End - #13

RedKnightGirl

Are we moving on to the next round?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Are we moving on to the next round?
    Yea. Sorry if I wasn't clear. All players go now, then enemies, then allies.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Ivar volleys two shots to W10 in N29, hoping to avoid hitting an ally in melee.
    Quote Originally Posted by MintyNinja View Post
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Only Kára still has eyes on the central village, everyone else is too far downhill. If an enemy is standing on N23 or O23, you can see them from the beach. If they're on N24 or O24 then they have some cover from that angle.
    Hey Ghost Nappa, raining on your parade here, but Ivar cannot see over the hill that far. He's much farther down the hill than anyone else and W10 is effectively out of sight to him. Even Gerđr's position would make that a very tricky shot. You both have Sharpshooter, but only Gerđr can see the enemy.

16. - Top - End - #16

RedKnightGirl

I'd prefer if you rained on my parade tbh, but it's hard to judge altitude on this.

Is there another vertical climbing landmark nearby?

Otherwise I'll just switch to the whip.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Ugh. Screwed up the first attack roll in the IC thread. Going to edit in a link to this post with the correct attack roll.

First attack roll: (1d20+8)[24]
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I'd prefer if you rained on my parade tbh, but it's hard to judge altitude on this.

Is there another vertical climbing landmark nearby?

Otherwise I'll just switch to the whip.
    My thinking was that once you reached Row 23 the hill levels off and it's all clear from there. Sorry if I didn't make that clear enough.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm gonna need to think how Gerđr's going to react to the children now.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    That's fair. Try to keep to the once a day posting and I'll be happy.

If anyone has questions they want to pose before giving their actions, I can answer them here.

21. - Top - End - #21

RedKnightGirl

Well, from the perspective of a conquering raider type person if you're not going to kill them you're probably doing something ranging from adoption to enslavement.

Hold on a second, I need to triple check my alignment and maybe read some ancient egyptian or greek stories or something.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Well, from the perspective of a conquering raider type person if you're not going to kill them you're probably doing something ranging from adoption to enslavement.

Hold on a second, I need to triple check my alignment and maybe read some ancient egyptian or greek stories or something.
    If you're looking for input from previous raids, I'll add this:

Spoiler: Common "Etiquette"
    Show
    Depending on how vicious your Captain is, there's a number of options. Sometimes the point is to kidnap the kids to ransom, sometimes it's to wipe out the village entirely (some raiders won't harm children, and make it known before signing on). In this instance, your Captain wants nothing to do with the kids. It's perfectly acceptable to leave them here, albeit poorer and horribly traumatized, and expect the next village over to take them in.

It should be noted that no Vansterman Raider ever gained glory by harming kids, and it's often considered dark work for only the sickest of souls.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Old man Lim checking in.

Spoiler: History Check
    Show
    (1d20+1)[4]

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Gerđr finds 7 usable arrows from the corpses on the ground. Sorry that this is cutting off your conversation but I want to keep the game moving, still.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

No worries, all's good on that front.

Well, apparently Gerđr is going to see pretty well but not be the stealthiest right now. C'est la vie.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Not sure if it's worth mentioning but

She eyes the oar Lim has.
    I think it was Ivar with the oar strapped to his pack.

Also, I haven't been keeping track of damage, but if anyone needs healing feel free to call Lim over. (Hope this isn't too metagamey)

27. - Top - End - #27

RedKnightGirl

I'm going to be busy today and tomorrow with a wedding in the family, so excuse me if I don't respond immediately.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HatMadder View Post
    Not sure if it's worth mentioning but

I think it was Ivar with the oar strapped to his pack.

Also, I haven't been keeping track of damage, but if anyone needs healing feel free to call Lim over. (Hope this isn't too metagamey)
    Ah, thanks. Will adjust.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I'm going to be busy today and tomorrow with a wedding in the family, so excuse me if I don't respond immediately.
    Understood. Have fun.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Just to keep people from attacking corpses, both W11 and W12 have been slain as of now.