Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Unsounded II: Two Wrights Can Mend A Wrong

Spoiler: new comic
    Show
    What Does His Blood Taste Like?
    it is alright to
    hate him

It's happening.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

2. - Top - End - #482
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Looks like Roger did, in fact, bait an Etelarche Curse on purpose. Except he has no plan for using it yet. That's a heck of a thing to take Shaensigin's word for.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

3. - Top - End - #483
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Etalarche Curse
    Show
    To people wondering what the big deal is about to look at the title and the hover text over the forward/index. That said

He Dreams of Your childrens' Deaths
    of them
    screaming

4. - Top - End - #484
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by -D- View Post
    Spoiler: Etalarche Curse
    Show
    To people wondering what the big deal is about to look at the title and the hover text over the forward/index. That said

He Dreams of Your childrens' Deaths
    he laughs
    at the thought

of them
    screaming

Spoiler: Etalarch
    Show
    You missed the comic's previous link's hovertexts. Added them to your spoiler.

Today's:

If You Can Make Him Disappear
    you can protect the innocent
    prove your virtue
    know the taste of righteousness
    hate will make us free

I love it when the comic goes meta with the reality bending. The altered links at the top are trippy.

5. - Top - End - #485
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

With the Bird fish and tree?
    So with Lady Ilganyang, a typhoon whale(?) and a sentient wandering root?
    Exalted avatar remix by Musashi
    Original Avatar by Strawberries
    Character is Kin from Goblins

6. - Top - End - #486
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    The altered links at the top are a nice touch and one I would have missed.
    Last edited by Ibrinar; 2019-09-20 at 02:41 PM.

7. - Top - End - #487
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doran View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

With the Bird fish and tree?
    So with Lady Ilganyang, a typhoon whale(?) and a sentient wandering root?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lady Ilganyag as bird seems certain. Is there any reason to believe fish is a whale instead of, say, a shark or a mermaid? And I really hope tree isn't the wandering root Duane burned back in chapter 1.

8. - Top - End - #488
    Titan in the Playground

New comic:

Spoiler
    Show
    Looks like the curse caught up to Mallory and made him hate Roger. Did they miscalculate and the khert-fire ended before they expected? Either way, Duane can cast again and Mallory is about to want to see Roger dead. I don't expect Mallory to walk out of here alive, which will leave Roger with little left to live for except bringing down Alderode. So submitting himself to Ruck's venom will start looking more enticing.
    Last edited by Morty; 2019-09-25 at 05:07 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

9. - Top - End - #489
    Ogre in the Playground

Holy **** , the current four page update is insane. I'm ****ing speechless.

Spoiler
    Show
    We finally understand why Roger decided to accept Ruck's embrace. It's heartbreaking and I honestly understand Roger. Killing Mallory after everything is just (GitP needs a cry emoji). And from what I gather the worse is yet to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Narkis View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    And I really hope tree isn't the wandering root Duane burned back in chapter 1.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think Ashley mentioned that this is precisely the case. Duane destroyed a valuable actor, trying to escape its guts.
    Last edited by -D-; 2019-09-30 at 06:44 AM.

10. - Top - End - #490
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, this is even more painful and traumatic than I predicted. Amazing. The Etalarche curse is pretty terrifying.
    Last edited by Morty; 2019-09-30 at 06:44 AM.

11. - Top - End - #491
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    What's tragic here is that Mallory wasn't just wildly frothing at the mouth while trying to strangle Roger. He's rational, speaking in coherent sentences, and quite clearly laying out how he manipulated Roger the entire time in order to accomplish his objectives.

The fact that Mallory then tried to strangle Roger - thereby ruining the entire plan - can be attributed to the curse, sure. Before things went bananas Mallory was in favor of going to the Black Tongues in order to keep Roger sane and alive. So there's no homicidal loathing there pre-curse. But the logic of everything else is too consistent to be thought up on the spur of the moment. How else would Mallory know of the Salt Lizard, and have ties to Cresce? Why else would he have sought out Roger in particular?

Ouch.

12. - Top - End - #492
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I think Ashley mentioned that this is precisely the case. Duane destroyed a valuable actor, trying to escape its guts.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Damn. And he didn't even harm it trying to escape, Sette just got greedy and thought it had treasure.

So, Duane has killed one and dropped a ceiling on another. I can't imagine he'll be happy when he learns just how involved Ilganyag is with the first silver bomb. All he needs now is to mess with whatever's fish doing and he'll have gotten 4/4

Quote Originally Posted by Wayson View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    What's tragic here is that Mallory wasn't just wildly frothing at the mouth while trying to strangle Roger. He's rational, speaking in coherent sentences, and quite clearly laying out how he manipulated Roger the entire time in order to accomplish his objectives.

The fact that Mallory then tried to strangle Roger - thereby ruining the entire plan - can be attributed to the curse, sure. Before things went bananas Mallory was in favor of going to the Black Tongues in order to keep Roger sane and alive. So there's no homicidal loathing there pre-curse. But the logic of everything else is too consistent to be thought up on the spur of the moment. How else would Mallory know of the Salt Lizard, and have ties to Cresce? Why else would he have sought out Roger in particular?

Ouch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I read this differently. Everyone else already kinda hated Roger, so the curse just had to push a little for them to go "normal hate" -> "frothing berserker rage". But Vampire really did love him, and the curse had to reverse his entire outlook. We just watched a man being magically compelled to rationalize away an entire decades-long relationship and die hating "with clarity" the man he truly loved. I find that more tragic than if it were all a lie from the beginning.

13. - Top - End - #493
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Ultimately we'll never know, because neither will Roger. So he'll spend the rest of his life wondering if the man he loved had really hated him and only strung him along.

14. - Top - End - #494
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    So, granny, you want to learn what happened when I met your goddess?

Well, first I dropped the ceiling on her. Then me and my brother hunted her as she run. He bombed her and killed two-toes inside her belly, all so she'd be enraged enough to go after him and fall right into my trap. I used electricity to create a spasm in the giant ogre heart we were in, causing an arterial valve to crush her tail and strip it of its salt. The kid she was trying to eat took advantage of the confusion to blind her with a giant needle. With her blind, my brother kept her scared and confused with a drum while I prepared another heart spasm. This one caught her across her whole body, crushing her entirely, and she fell unconscious from her injuries. Last I saw her, she was lying in a puddle of her own blood, surrounded by the shattered remnants of her salt armour as the cave was falling down on our ears.

I'm sure she was fine.

15. - Top - End - #495
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I am rather questioning Duane's choice of a story, yes. Maybe he sugar-coated it a bit.

16. - Top - End - #496
    Ogre in the Playground

SPOILER
    We are shown the truth. The Granny is getting a more sugar coated version.

EDIT: It's unsure but on Tumblr Ashley said, that Granny and Duane aren't going to be friends. But they agreed to swap stories.
    Last edited by -D-; 2019-10-26 at 08:18 AM.

17. - Top - End - #497
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    "And then she left limping towards the darkness she belongs, holding the last few of her children remaining alive. Let all false gods tremble before the sons of Ssael!"

Duane, probably.

EDIT: It's unsure but on Tumblr Ashley said, that Granny and Duane aren't going to be friends. But they agreed to swap stories.
    It's hilarious to imagine though.

18. - Top - End - #498
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    The young Plats made it. I've actually seen people predict it just for it to be more dramatically ironic that Duane saw them live and then couldn't save his own daughter.

19. - Top - End - #499
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    The young Plats made it. I've actually seen people predict it just for it to be more dramatically ironic that Duane saw them live and then couldn't save his own daughter.
    This whole three day update has been a great ride.

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, I had a feeling they were getting back, but I disagree it's for the dramatic irony.

20. - Top - End - #500
    Orc in the Playground

I don't think so.
    Spoiler
    Show

http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsound...4/ch14_65.html

He's telling the true version. The sugar-coated one is one he had constructed while he was alive and more idealistic, which is why he was confident enough to tell her initially.

21. - Top - End - #501
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, I said something like that in the beginning of the chapter. I can see now why this was Duane's favourite story. It's war, with all its loss and tragedy, but also a copious amount of Adelier buttkicking, and as much of a happy ending as could be expected.

I am significantly more upset with Lemuel's apparent involvement in Duane's death though.

22. - Top - End - #502
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, I said something like that at the beginning of the chapter. I can see now why this was Duane's favorite story. It's war, with all its loss and tragedy, but also a copious amount of Adelier butt-kicking, and as much of a happy ending as could be expected.

I am significantly more upset with Lemuel's apparent involvement in Duane's death though.
    Why do you think Lemuel was involved in his brother's death?

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm starting to think, Lemuel might have been prevented it but wasn't the killer.

So what we know:
    • Ashley said, what they did with salt lizard sealed Duane's Fate.
    • One of the Crescians hurled an Alderode racial slur (Pissmop).
    • There were no guards patrolling that night.

That leads me to believe one of his killers was Dhampir or a bunch of her mates. It's natural for her to know the slur, due to living with Aldish for so long.
    I suspect she did it for plain old revenge but had help from Aldish state along the way

Aldish state (or some part of it) wanted Duane gone because he was:
    A) problematic vote on the council
    B) his death could serve as a rallying cry for Aldishmen
    C) he might have gotten **** talked for not killing Roger Foi Hellick then and there

Lemuel might have heard something but was powerless to do anything. I mean, if he helps him, the two of them and their families will be excommunicated. In Alderode that's a death sentence.
    Last edited by -D-; 2019-11-05 at 07:30 AM.

23. - Top - End - #503
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, I think people are jumping to conclusions somewhat. It's entirely possible that Lemuel knew Duane was going to die but was powerless. And he did hide him after his return as a zombie - quite possibly it was him who messed up Bastion.

Spoiler
    Show
    Something happened in this chapter that sealed Duane's fate, but we still have no idea what. Failing to kill Roger might have been a factor.

24. - Top - End - #504
    Ogre in the Playground

Why do you think Lemuel was involved in his brother's death?

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm starting to think, Lemuel might have been prevented it but wasn't the killer.

So what we know:
    • Ashley said, what they did with salt lizard sealed Duane's Fate.
    • One of the Crescians hurled an Alderode racial slur (Pissmop).
    • There were no guards patrolling that night.

That leads me to believe one of his killers was Dhampir or a bunch of her mates. It's natural for her to know the slur, due to living with Aldish for so long.
    I suspect she did it for plain old revenge but had help from Aldish state along the way

Aldish state (or some part of it) wanted Duane gone because he was:
    A) problematic vote on the council
    B) his death could serve as a rallying cry for Aldishmen
    C) he might have gotten **** talked for not killing Roger Foi Hellick then and there

Lemuel might have heard something but was powerless to do anything. I mean, if he helps him, the two of them and their families will be excommunicated. In Alderode that's a death sentence.
    Spoiler
    Show
    What we also know:
    One of the attackers was upset with what was being done to a Ssaelit priest.
    Lemuel cried the last time he saw Duane before the attack.
    He sheltered the zombie, gave him pymaric eyes and tried to keep him hidden.

I don't think it was Dhampir. She had no reason to want Duane, specifically, dead. I think these people were actually Aldish, glammered to look the part of a Crescian. Possibly from Lemuel's squad. And to the motives you've already listed, I'll add: He was the first Soud and the first Ssaelit to be considered for composer in centuries. Both Aldish nationalists and the Gefendur had reasons to oppose this.

I am unsure exactly how much Lemuel was involved in the conspiracy, but he definitely knew and did nothing until after the fact. He also benefited from his brother's death: He now gets to marry his beautiful widow, with which I believe he was in love given his stubborn resistance to Duane playing matchmaker. He might as well have swung that knife himself.

25. - Top - End - #505
    Titan in the Playground

I'm going to wait until we actually find out what did happen before passing judgement on Lemuel one way or the other. As it is, there's too many unknowns.

26. - Top - End - #506
    Ogre in the Playground

Big update and an end to this story. It's been quite a ride.
    Last edited by -D-; 2019-11-27 at 05:51 PM.

27. - Top - End - #507
    Titan in the Playground

And Lemuel went a little crazier than I would have expected of him at the end there.

28. - Top - End - #508
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm guessing he didn't adjust to the whole "child soldier" thing nearly as well as it first appeared.

I wonder if he's a Soud separatist in the present. There was a big organization of those, I think.

29. - Top - End - #509
    Titan in the Playground

I'm guessing he didn't adjust to the whole "child soldier" thing nearly as well as it first appeared.
    Yes, I think part of the point behind this flashback is that Duane is looking at his memories with newfound clarity and noticing things he'd forgotten or never registered in the first place.

I wonder if he's a Soud separatist in the present. There was a big organization of those, I think.
    Those would be Mmatont, but they're less an organization and more like a rebel group occupying some barren island somewhere.
    Last edited by Morty; 2019-12-02 at 07:43 AM.

30. - Top - End - #510
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, hello there :D

New Unsounded chapter was out, got a small hiatus, and continued. In this chapter we learn Lady Illgangyang's name. Also some other things.

I did kinda fell out of the loop with this comic, because I discovered Webtoons and it's eating my soul.