New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Unsounded II: Two Wrights Can Mend A Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by eschmenk View Post
    ...and they still didn't pay him, either.
    To be fair, most of them got their just desserts

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

Heh, the insurrectionists are he ones doing the torching, maybe you should help them!

Kind of a sloppy job though isn't it? Seems like people are scattering left and right, and if anyone escapes word will get out pretty quick that the army torched the town. Maybe they want rumours to spread, or dont care if they do because their plans are so close to completion. Is this even a coup? Toma thinks so but thats just his expert opinion. Maybe Bell is just a patriot who thinks the Queen was wrong in rejecting the use of the silver and is now going over her head. Still a sloppy job though.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Now I'm wondering if Alderode has ever done the same thing. They probably haven't. Not because they're more noble, but because this isn't the kind of thing you do unless circumstances are extraordinary.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by -D- View Post
    To be fair, most of them got their just desserts
    The wright, Bett, was arrested, so I think they all did, but who wants to be fair?

(I'm not counting Delicieu. I suppose there might be more to the gang than the few people who went on this mission, but I doubt it.)

Quote Originally Posted by 1dominator View Post
    Heh, the insurrectionists are he ones doing the torching, maybe you should help them!

Kind of a sloppy job though isn't it? Seems like people are scattering left and right, and if anyone escapes word will get out pretty quick that the army torched the town. Maybe they want rumours to spread, or dont care if they do because their plans are so close to completion. Is this even a coup? Toma thinks so but thats just his expert opinion. Maybe Bell is just a patriot who thinks the Queen was wrong in rejecting the use of the silver and is now going over her head. Still a sloppy job though.
    Word will get out. Not only will some survivors get away, across the river here is another city full of people watching it happen from a safe distance. Bell and Hetr just don't care. Hetr explained how Bell intended to explain it away starting in the last panel on this page. No one will care about the surviving "tainted" townspeople complaining, nor will they care much about how horrified the Ulestrians might be. The survivors might be safer not letting anyone know that they ever lived there.

Why would there necessarily be a distinction between someone involved in a coup and a patriot, particularly from the coup plotters' POVs?

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Now I'm wondering if Alderode has ever done the same thing. They probably haven't. Not because they're more noble, but because this isn't the kind of thing you do unless circumstances are extraordinary.
    Granted, it will be in the future, but I think the massacre Duane witnessed while in the Khert was probably at least as bad. I don't remember anything specifically said in the comic itself, but I think there have been some horrible massacres in Alderode's past. I think the Tains was one group that was persecuted very intensely, for example.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2016-08-08 at 03:55 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Firbolg in the Playground

This isn't being done by Cresce, however, or we aren't certain of it, at least. This is Bell's unrightful doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

6. - Top - End - #36
    Bugbear in the Playground

They look like an artistic representation of scars.
    Well, duh, it is a comic after all.:P

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrinar View Post
    Well, duh, it is a comic after all.:P
    But seriously, I'm not sure that Ashley would give Murkoph more realistic scars even if they were made by a lion attack, especially since he predates the comic and she seems to like him as a character. Given that, I'm not sure what to make of the fact that they seem idealized.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    This isn't being done by Cresce, however, or we aren't certain of it, at least. This is Bell's unrightful doing.
    Well, yes, but Bell isn't going to tell the public that! We've been told by other people that Crescian justice can be very harsh, so I don't think this will seem out of place.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2016-08-08 at 06:06 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

Why would there necessarily be a distinction between someone involved in a coup and a patriot, particularly from the coup plotters' POVs?
    Either way they probably think themselves patriots. But I meant that maybe they dont want to overthrow the Queen, just win the war through whatever unsavoury means necessary.

Hetr explained how Bell intended to explain it away starting in the last panel on this page. No one will care about the surviving "tainted" townspeople complaining, nor will they care much about how horrified the Ulestrians might be. The survivors might be safer not letting anyone know that they ever lived there.
    Maybe, but Cresce didn't strike me as the kind of country that would just eat something like that up. The thorough destruction of a friendly town seems like something completely unprecedented in this setting. Everyone is shocked, even Duane is shocked and he hates the Crescian's guts. Point being that things like this don't happen often, and it certainly does not fit the image of peaceful Cresce.
    Maybe Bell will be able to hush the whole thing up what with being the Queen's right hand and all that, or brush it off as an attempted insurrection. But if people start popping giving the true account of the situation (that the silver was contained to the Nevergreen, that there was no widespread insurrection, that the army was just killing civilians) it might start the authorities wondering if maybe Bell overreacted. No one is speaking of treason of course, but perhaps the general's competence and judgement might be put in doubt, enough so to trigger some sort investigation. From there the whole thing would probably unravel, too many people know too much. Plus the logistics of the whole affair are suspect.

While we don't know exactly what the palace knew about the silver it still doesnt quite add up. The palace's actions are at odds with themselves. On the one hand they clearly know something was up since Toma was tracking Starfish and Co. and was presumably keeping them up to date, plus they had received Delecius (sp?) offer so they knew there was a deadly weapon out there somewhere.
    But that is all they do, there is no other response apart from dispatching Toma. Ethelmik is neither evacuated nor reinforced. even after they learn that Starfish and Co. are quite likely in the city or very near it they do very little. Hell, the local peace guard is even ordered to withdraw to the front instead of being aiding in the search or being on guard for disaster. All this, combined with the fact that Cresce does not seem like the kind of country that would throw one of their own towns under the bus, makes it seem like the palace does not think that Starfish and w/e he is smuggling poses a serious threat. But not a day after the silver goes off an entire freaking army (of elite capital guard no less), complete with the kind of ordinance normally reserved for razing fortified cities shows up out of the blue to contain the "deadly weapon". Cresce seems like a big country (as big as Ulestry on the maps, which takes a month+ to cross on foot according to Starfish) so those troops would have had to set out weeks (months?) in advance to arrive at the border in time. Keep in mind that there is a war on and those troops (and definitely those constructs) are probably needed at the front. So on the one hand we have a lackluster and weak response and on the other the commitment of valuable troops and resources that are likely badly needed elsewhere. Anyone who does a thorough audit of the situation would probably seem the contradictions and realize that someone in this affair has their own agenda which the crown is not privy to.

TL;DR; The whole affair looks suspicious, and wont stand up to scrutiny once witnesses accounts of the massacre start coming to light. Since it looks like they are not taking much care to mop up the witnesses I suspect that Bell's plan is on the cusp of completion because if he takes too long he is going to be in the soup for real. I dunno what the actual plan is though, maybe its a classic coup or maybe he wants to finally end the struggle between Cresce and Alderode in the process becoming a warhero so legendary as to be beyond all reproach and retroactively justify whatever horrible things had to be done on the path to victory. Or maybe its some third option, either way precedent says its gonna be good!

P.S. Bloody forum almost ate the post, ouldn't that have been a huge waste of time? More so than normal anyways.
    Last edited by 1dominator; 2016-08-09 at 01:58 AM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

...and it certainly does not fit the image of peaceful Cresce.
    Several characters predicted that the Crescian reaction would be harsh.

.But if people start popping giving the true account of the situation (that the silver was contained to the Nevergreen, that there was no widespread insurrection...
    Much of the law-abiding population of the town had already left, but he population still in the town had been ignoring the Palace's orders to evacuate the town and move elsewhere. They had disbanded their own town council and allowed the Frummagems to run the town instead of any legitimate authority. The cops really were all corrupt. Many of the remaining townspeople really had no respect for Crescian authority. Knock and Anadyne had no trouble getting the townspeople to attack Toma, for example. Toma on the next page: "Your cops - and I'm presuming your entire godforsaken town - have gone right off a cliff" and "If kidnapping and smuggling are the only work you could find to save yourselves then you're not worth saving!" And that's Toma, who's incredibly nice for a Crescian officer! Bell, of course, we make the townspeople seem even worse than they actually were. They won't have any credibility if any survivors complain about what happened.

On the one hand [the Palace] clearly know something was up since Toma was tracking Starfish and Co. and was presumably keeping them up to date...
    He was presumably keeping Bell up to date. A lot of good that would do! We saw that Toma was reporting to Bell, not directly to the Palace.

Ethelmik is neither evacuated nor reinforced.
    No one would have thought that Ethelmik was a target, and it wasn't. It was common knowledge that Ethelmik would be evacuated and destroyed within a year anyway, so there would have been no point in Alderode or anyone else attacking it.

All this, combined with the fact that Cresce does not seem like the kind of country that would throw one of their own towns under the bus
    That decision to do that had be made years ago! The town was costing too much, so it had to go.

...those troops would have had to set out weeks (months?) in advance to arrive at the border in time.
    Hetr and his army had just left the previous day. It wouldn't have taken him more than a day to return.

Keep in mind that there is a war on and those troops (and definitely those constructs) are probably needed at the front.
    The constructs had probably been stored in the old mines under Ethelmik and left when Hetr did, so it would have taken only one day for them to return, too. Even if not, they were probably passing through the area on the way to the front. In any case, we know that Bell hadn't intended to destroy the town until Elka told him that the silver had exploded there, which was just a day earlier.

Since it looks like they are not taking much care to mop up the witnesses I suspect that Bell's plan is on the cusp of completion because if he takes too long he is going to be in the soup for real.
    We know what much of Bell's plan is because Bastion explained it to Rahm. It obviously will take months or years for that part to be completed, so no.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2016-08-09 at 10:50 AM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

New comic.

Nobody expects the Galit Inquistion!

11. - Top - End - #41

I wonder what Galit means. Duane is a unique case. Did he make that word up? Did he find a fantasy character with aspects similar to his own and pick it up for himself?

Anyway, what Duane really is is a friggin' puppy trying to make friends. It's terrifying, once he decides you are his friend, he will follow you around anywhere, help you, get insulted with a smile, scare off your enemies... I think he is a herding dog.
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

I wonder what Galit means. Duane is a unique case. Did he make that word up? Did he find a fantasy character with aspects similar to his own and pick it up for himself?

Anyway, what Duane really is is a friggin' puppy trying to make friends. It's terrifying, once he decides you are his friend, he will follow you around anywhere, help you, get insulted with a smile, scare off your enemies... I think he is a herding dog.
    Galit translated means damned. And is often used to describe the undead servants.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

Several characters predicted that the Crescian reaction would be harsh.

Much of the law-abiding population of the town had already left, but he population still in the town had been ignoring the Palace's orders to evacuate the town and move elsewhere. They had disbanded their own town council and allowed the Frummagems to run the town instead of any legitimate authority. The cops really were all corrupt. Many of the remaining townspeople really had no respect for Crescian authority. Knock and Anadyne had no trouble getting the townspeople to attack Toma, for example. Toma on the next page: "Your cops - and I'm presuming your entire godforsaken town - have gone right off a cliff" and "If kidnapping and smuggling are the only work you could find to save yourselves then you're not worth saving!" And that's Toma, who's incredibly nice for a Crescian officer! Bell, of course, we make the townspeople seem even worse than they actually were. They won't have any credibility if any survivors complain about what happened.
    The decommissioning wasn't scheduled until a month or so in the future. There is also a difference between decommissioning the town, maybe trying and executing the ringleaders (do we know anything of the Crescian legal system?) and putting the whole town to the sword with nary a trial.

Also the treasonous tendencies of the town have nothing to do (nothing direct) with why it is getting torched. Officially the army is not there to punish an insurrectionists but to put down the silver. They're not supposed to be doling out justice, that speech Hetr gives is just his opinion and not Crescian state policy. The story is that the silver caused the terrible loss of life before the army managed to contain and destroy it.
    If word gets out that the army was slaughtering civilians it might raise suspicious. It already looks suspicious that somehow EVERYBODY died and that the silver was so utterly destroyed that not even a trace of it remained. A weapon that is capable of wiping out towns and had just been used against them is probably something the Crescian state will have wanted to study. Maybe collect samples, question witnesses, try to learn its limits and capabilities, find out how to counter it. Its one thing to pass up the chance to use such a weapon yourself, it is downright negligent to not take the opportunity to learn about it once it had been used against you.

He was presumably keeping Bell up to date. A lot of good that would do! We saw that Toma was reporting to Bell, not directly to the Palace.

No one would have thought that Ethelmik was a target, and it wasn't. It was common knowledge that Ethelmik would be evacuated and destroyed within a year anyway, so there would have been no point in Alderode or anyone else attacking it.

That decision to do that had be made years ago! The town was costing too much, so it had to go.

Hetr and his army had just left the previous day. It wouldn't have taken him more than a day to return.
    Those weren't Hetrs troops, those were soldiers from the Capital. Hetr was just in charge of the local peaceguard, not an army. As for the silver, looks like nobody knew it was going to erupt there which begs the question of why all those troops were so far out of position. I think Bell knows something we dont.

EDIT: Actually it looks like they planned to intercept the silver and take control of it themselves, so maybe the soldiers were there for that purpose. Still, I wonder what the official cover story was to justify funneling so many troops and equipment away from the front. Must have been a whopper.

Then again maybe Bell pretty much runs the palace, and the Queen has no authority or oversight. It sure is beginning to look that way considering the liberties hes taking.

The constructs had probably been stored in the old mines under Ethelmik and left when Hetr did, so it would have taken only one day for them to return, too. Even if not, they were probably passing through the area on the way to the front. In any case, we know that Bell hadn't intended to destroy the town until Elka told him that the silver had exploded there, which was just a day earlier.
    I dunno I got the impression that the mines were used for storing out of date, decommissioned constructs. They certainly were not maintaining the ones we saw Toma use, they were all infested! Also I am not sure those big guys would even fit in the mines. According to the front the town is on the exact opposite side of the country from Alderode, which is where I assume the front to be.

We know what much of Bell's plan is because Bastion explained it to Rahm. It obviously will take months or years for that part to be completed, so no.
    What did he explain? He only said the silver was moving to the Ssaelit capital, which I grant you will probably take a while.
    Last edited by 1dominator; 2016-08-10 at 12:17 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

A weapon that is capable of wiping out towns and had just been used against them is probably something the Crescian state will have wanted to study.
    So Bell will say that he had his wrights do that -- after all, it's military matter. "Yep, sure enough, they found out that the Aldish made the weapon. There were some signs the corrupt townspeople were involved, too. Don't worry, between the silver blowing up in their faces and my troops, they have all been taken care of."

EDIT: Actually it looks like they planned to intercept the silver and take control of it themselves, so maybe the soldiers were there for that purpose.
    Granted, there was a pronoun used, but I think it's clear enough that "he" always meant Stockyard. After all, Bell wasn't there, and Hetr wouldn't use the pronoun for himself, and Stockyard (not Bell) took the silver from the Redberry Boys. Also, the third frame makes it explicit that Stockyard was the one who failed to finish the silver's journey to the coast.

Then again maybe Bell pretty much runs the palace, and the Queen has no authority or oversight. It sure is beginning to look that way considering the liberties hes taking.
    IMO, that would amount to going from thinking Bell has too little power to thinking he has too much. He can be powerful enough to generally get away with whatever he wants to do without being able to "pretty much run the Palace."

What did he explain? He only said the silver was moving to the Ssaelit capital, which I grant you will probably take a while.
    And that's enough to know that Bell's plan wasn't intended to come to fruition all that quickly.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

Granted, there was a pronoun used, but I think it's clear enough that "he" always meant Stockyard. After all, Bell wasn't there, and Hetr wouldn't use the pronoun for himself, and Stockyard (not Bell) took the silver from the Redberry Boys. Also, the third frame makes it explicit that Stockyard was the one who failed to finish the silver's journey to the coast.
    Not sure how I misread that, definitely sounds like he is referring to Stockyard.

IMO, that would amount to going from thinking Bell has too little power to thinking he has too much. He can be powerful enough to generally get away with whatever he wants to do without being able to "pretty much run the Palace."
    I think he has to be able to control access to the crown to pull off something like this. There are enough lose ends here that any independent party that starts looking into the affair will get suspicious real fast. The only way to guarantee secrecy is to make sure that everything is handled by Bell's henchmen and for that to be the case I think he has to be pretty much be operating without oversight and with the complete trust and vested authority of the Queen.
    Last edited by 1dominator; 2016-08-10 at 11:17 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

New comic.

Wand'ring foeman, be wise, be wary.
    You followed a raptor into its aerie.
    Last edited by -D-; 2016-08-12 at 04:34 AM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Amazing how that rhymes in both Old Tainish and Continental.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    Amazing how that rhymes in both Old Tainish and Continental.
    The translator is pretty good
    Last edited by -D-; 2016-08-12 at 09:46 AM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

New comic.

Clashing philosophies, clashing pymaries. Updates continue next Monday.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

Looks like Duane is losing, though he surprised Rahm a few times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertier View Post
    A good background is like a skirt. Short enough to keep my interest, but long enough to cover the important bits.
    Quote Originally Posted by FistsFullofDice View Post
    Derailed in the best way, thank you good sir.
    Spoiler: Homebrew Links
    Show

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jallorn View Post
    As they say, it ain't over till the fat lady sings

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

This isn't going well for our attack zombie. As OP as he is, Rahm is on his home turf, and has a lot of pymarics.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

This isn't going well for our attack zombie. As OP as he is, Rahm is on his home turf, and has a lot of pymarics.
    I know of couple of really good arguments against. Mainly Fireloper weapon.

24. - Top - End - #54

Quote Originally Posted by Jallorn View Post
    Wait until he tells him what he and Lady did

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Rahm's coattails have a feather lining. This nerd is really dedicated to his theme.

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by -D- View Post
    As they say, it ain't over till the fat lady sings
    You just made me think of Iori dressed as an Valkyrie while flying the Segway as she sings something from one of Wagner's operas.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Even if Iori doesn't show up, can't Duane redirect his momentum so that he's back in the fight?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    Even if Iori doesn't show up, can't Duane redirect his momentum so that he's back in the fight?
    It depends on whether or not Rahm's pymaric has Duane's powers well in hand. Seriously, it's just a matter of how strong the pymaric is compared to Duane's powers and what the range is. OTOH, Rahm won't find it easy to turn Quigley over to anyone. I think Hetr is dead and everyone under him would probably attack Rahm on sight. I don't see how Rahm can continue much longer to think that he still can secure the town's future. Once he realizes the town can't be saved, he will have no incentive to turn Quigley over. I don't know if he will live long enough to realize that, though. (I suspect that Ashley would want to include the drama, though.)

29. - Top - End - #59

If Duane can't get back in the air and is just going to end up squashed against the ground, that's a remarkable choice of last words.

So, how about core leeching the stones at the base of the tower? Not that good for prisoner retrieval, but it should make Rahm think about his situation.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

I think Hetr is dead
    Wut? Why? Last we saw him Elka tried to bash his head in with momentum and his dog kicked her.

If Duane can't get back in the air and is just going to end up squashed against the ground, that's a remarkable choice of last words.

So, how about core leeching the stones at the base of the tower? Not that good for prisoner retrieval, but it should make Rahm think about his situation.
    He can change his momentum and land on his feet.

As for core leeching, you need to identify material and Rahm could have changed composition of the tower to be less pymary friendly.
    Last edited by -D-; 2016-08-16 at 03:04 AM.